Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
One of the nicest things about SS2 is the ability to build interior only plot options. So alongside a mod like this

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/79074

you end up creating the best of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Alright, ended up installing TMR for general performance, bugfixin' and Making Game Pretty, but left gameplay mostly untouched save for some QoL stuff.

Installed SS2 as well, the 'just tell people what to do' angle sold me :v:

QQ: Is there any good resource for builds? I know it's not that complicated, but I really don't wanna have to think, I'm just in here for some explorin' and vibin'

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There’s nothing you can lock yourself out of build-wise in Fallout 4. There’s no level cap, and you can increase your SPECIAL stat or buy a perk every level up. So if you want something you don’t have yet it’s just a question of how many levels it might take you to get it (perks require a SPECIAL stat and level).

That doesn’t mean there’s not builds, but builds are just lists of stuff that works well together that they suggest taking, instead of something you have to follow from the very beginning.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
That's a good point, didn't know/remember there's no level cap.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's a good point, didn't know/remember there's no level cap.

Actually, there is one exception I didn’t think of: https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Idiot_Savant

Basically, take a look at the Intelligence perks and see if any of them interest you. If they don’t, you get more XP by keeping Int as low as possible, taking 5 or higher Luck at character creation, and taking Idiot Savant as much as you can.

Personally I think the Int perks are pretty good (at least up through Science!) so I’ve never done this, but some people prefer Idiot Savant so I wanted to point this out. Importantly, there’s no low-intelligence specific dialogue or options in Fallout 4 (there is a small amount of stuff for high Int), so Idiot Savant is purely an XP gain thing.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Just a word of caution: sim settlements 2 crashed for me quite a lot when I
approached my automated towns (not the triangle of death bug) and the quests can be buggy at times, especially the CPD quest lines. There is a pipboy tape in the game that lets you skip quests if they break, but it was a big problem for me when I was going through the ss2 chapters as they were released. It's an amazing mod and a great concept, but the fallout 4 engine is not optimized to run all of the local and global scripts nominally. I probably would not play with it again, and definitely not with survival mode.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah a chronic problem with Sim Settlements is that it runs a whole lot of scripts and the scripting engine the game runs them in has a hard limit that is pretty low, there's an unrelated mod that greatly expands the limit nd it helps a lot, let me find that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Gamebryo's Papyrus scripting engine has a hard limit of 100 operations per script. A lot of script-heavy mods (particularly Sim Settlements/Sim Settlements 2) make the game crash very frequently when the number of scripts starts getting up there, e.g. when you have a settlement with tons of plots. There's a mod that expands this (by default to 500, up to 2000 is recommended but you can make it whatever number you want) and it has made my game dramatically more stable, if you have this kind of problem you might want to check it out:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/73774

While it seems to be safe to add it mid game, removing it after a bunch of scripts are running that depend on it may not be.

Thus

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, neat, that was in TMR so I have it already :v:

Thanks for the heads up.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e: nevermind

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I posted this in the other Fallout thread and didn't get much of a response so : anyone familiar with Real Time Settler as a mod for FNV? Is it... good?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Some folks have figured out how to add a modern active dodge mechanic and a pretty great animation and it improves the game so much :supaburn:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70647
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/70757 (you want both of these)

this is the single biggest and best mechanic/gameplay-related thing added to any of the 3d Fallout games ever, it's amazing how much better this makes the game :woop:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I swear I remember some mod for like fo3 that had a cover and dodge mechanic…. But thinking on it now maybe I just played deus ex hr after fo3?

Time, a cruel mistress.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wabbajack seems to have gotten hung up after it "Finished downloading <big rear end texture pack>". Not sure how long it's been like that, 15+ minutes probably, and hasn't moved on to the next download. Is it safe to close & restart Wabbajack like it is?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 13, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Wabbajack seems to have gotten hung up after it "Finished downloading <big rear end texture pack>". Not sure how long it's been like that, 5+ minutes probably, and hasn't moved on to the next download. Is it safe to close & restart Wabbajack like it is?

Yes, as long as you point it at the same download/install folders it will pick up where it left off.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well that's a relief :toot:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Well that's a relief :toot:

If you're still having trouble you can manually download the files it gets stuck on - fire up nexus, go to a random mod page and replace the numbers in the URL with the one in the mod file in the log there - in this case 65720. Drop it in the downloads folder you're pointing WJ at, the program will take a look to make sure it's the right one, and then continue on.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I had to restart it twice but it's working now, Installing poo poo.

The TV show made me wanna play this dumb game again big time :v:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Sab669 posted:

I had to restart it twice but it's working now, Installing poo poo.

The TV show made me wanna play this dumb game again big time :v:

Glad to hear. It really is a dumb and fun game.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So the upcoming 'next gen update' is probably gonna break everything right? I just finished installing TMR a couple weeks ago :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

So the upcoming 'next gen update' is probably gonna break everything right? I just finished installing TMR a couple weeks ago :v:

If you don't want the next gen update stuff right away, you can set Steam not to update and start the game through MO/F4SE and just ignore the updates.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The only surefire way to make sure the game doesn't update is to hide the fallout 4 app manifest.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

For sure gonna break all the mods

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This is a weirdly specific question: Is it possible to change the voice language for just one character?

Turns out Takaya Kuroda voices Hancock in the Japanese dub and I really need to run around with my best friend Kiryu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmfZakmdZd8

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo :eyepop:

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

dolphinbomb posted:

Holy poo poo :eyepop:

RIGHT??

I was also thinking of ripping some Yakuza lines to throw into combat dialogue if that's possible, too.

TBH I'll just make the Kiryu mod depending on whats possible (and not stupid difficult)

Edit: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/61730

Agoat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 13, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK just getting around to playing the game after downloading / installing everything via Wabbajack. Got out of the vault and looked at the Perk chart on my pip boy... And it seems like I'm running vanilla rear end Fallout 4.

I don't need to install the Script Extender or launch the game via Mod Organizer 2 or anything, do I? I thought the whole point of Wabbajack was that it does all this for me 🙃

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nice :thumbsup:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Sab669 posted:

OK just getting around to playing the game after downloading / installing everything via Wabbajack. Got out of the vault and looked at the Perk chart on my pip boy... And it seems like I'm running vanilla rear end Fallout 4.

I don't need to install the Script Extender or launch the game via Mod Organizer 2 or anything, do I? I thought the whole point of Wabbajack was that it does all this for me 🙃

What executable did you click on lmao.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

What executable did you click on lmao.

I'm not sure what you're asking. There doesn't seem to be any way to launch Fallout from within Wabbajack, right? So I just launched it from Steam :shrug:

e; DERP oh I see, run the Mod Organizer from within the Install folder I targeted with Wabbajack

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking. There doesn't seem to be any way to launch Fallout from within Wabbajack, right? So I just launched it from Steam :shrug:

e; DERP oh I see, run the Mod Organizer from within the Install folder I targeted with Wabbajack

glad you got it working.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Ah well. I'll wait and see how it shakes out after the update.

Can go and run NV with Viva New Vegas in the meantime. [Narrator Voice: He did not play NV]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1779293308550058109?t=073eskVZF7G0PLN_phmcbw&s=19

Gog also does this for Daggerfall Unity, though that one is a tad more controversial because it includes a bunch of mods for Daggerfall Unity whose cohesion and compatibility is questionable. M

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I installed cbbe and in the intro the lady player clothes are all scattered and patchy. It’s like the only mod I have on except the script extender and ss2. There shouldn’t be any conflicts, any clue? I’ve been googling around without a solution (archiveinvlaidator is on, I installed the vanilla and dlc cloths with cbbe)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1779293308550058109?t=073eskVZF7G0PLN_phmcbw&s=19

Gog also does this for Daggerfall Unity, though that one is a tad more controversial because it includes a bunch of mods for Daggerfall Unity whose cohesion and compatibility is questionable. M

Dumb question: How do I get FO:London if I have the game on Steam? Is there a GOG Nexus or something?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Dumb question: How do I get FO:London if I have the game on Steam? Is there a GOG Nexus or something?

We don’t know for sure yet, because installing it will be different from how they provide Daggerfall Unity mods (the latter they can provide the game and mods ready to go). But there’s absolutely no way Steam users will be excluded, since that is how the majority of people have the game on PC. Don’t worry.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How often are the QOL and framework mods updated? I haven't played Fallout 4 in several years and some things like the script extender and the unofficial patch don't look like they've been updated in quite a while.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

How often are the QOL and framework mods updated? I haven't played Fallout 4 in several years and some things like the script extender and the unofficial patch don't look like they've been updated in quite a while.

People have been waiting for this update to finally come out since 2022. A lot of framework mods just haven’t needed updates / people haven’t been bothering until now.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

I installed cbbe and in the intro the lady player clothes are all scattered and patchy. It’s like the only mod I have on except the script extender and ss2. There shouldn’t be any conflicts, any clue? I’ve been googling around without a solution (archiveinvlaidator is on, I installed the vanilla and dlc cloths with cbbe)

did you build them in bodyslide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, game is downloading once more, nearly six years since i last played. What's the plan, do I just follow the Wabbajack guide?