Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I haven't touched Fallout 4 since a week or two after it launched. Just bought the game of the year edition to get all the dlc and remembered, mods.

Has it got easier to install bigger mods? Is the Bethesda "official" mods auto install and work themselves out? I know if I am to start messing with mod manager again I'm going to go crazy, I just don't have the patience for that stuff anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There is so much overlap in the top files/most endorsed I am paralyzed in choosing the right ones.

True Storms vs Vivid weather? Which "scrap the unscrapable" mod (and did they ever get a fix for those cell reload issues)? Cause there is like two or three out there.

About the only thing that seems to be a sure thing is sim settlements.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
So after three days of slowly poking at it for an hour or two I finally played a modded fallout 4, I haven't had a crash yet but unfortunately now it takes about a full minute to load the outside world. I'm also completely unsure about how to install DEF_UI and Vlad's Item sorter correctly. It LOOKS okay, but I'm sure something got overwritten that shouldn't have been.

I also have no idea how to make sim settlements work. Do I need to manually increase the population cap? I've been stuck at 7/26 for a while now. Hell I don't have any idea how these pre-made settlements are supposed to work. Need to find some beginner guides for these. It looks real snazzy for zero effort though!

Does Iron Roses's Balance mod play well with Weapons of Fate?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'll be sure to try those out.

My issue with sim settlements is sanctuary that beyond the first few farming plots and a single security checkpoint and a couple residential plots nothing else has been made. They wouldn't take care of their water problems or add security plots, or build their own power. Makes me think something is installed wrong. They did upgrade existing plots after throwing enough junk at them though.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
What weapon rebalance mod does everyone use? I've noticed that Weapon Balance Overhaul hasn't been updated since 2016, and mentions it will get to the DLC weapons "soon" so I assume they are not touched. Should I go with something more up to date, like Equilibrium?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The way to set up supply lines is to go into construction mode, go to the settler you want to use as a "provisioner" and at the bottom of the screen it should give you an additional hotkey command for telling that settler to go haul your poo poo. I think you need local leader perk as well? I usually just console command those in.

I don't know how to make settlers not take out of the workshop. I didn't even know it was possible, but I am not familiar with how anything works. But I collect so much junk I would never notice if any of it went missing.

I've reinstalled everything and I think I got all my mods correct, but my sanctuary is still stuck at like 6 settlers. With two separate recruitment beacons.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
For those playing Sim Settlements, Is it normal for all my settlers to decide the only things they want are farms, defense and the odd scrap heap industrial?
No shops, no entertainment.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I like my Bethesda games "Vanilla, but with quality of life mods" and I've spent a few days sorting through the popular mods on Nexus, and I've come to a happy set up that fulfills everything I had wanted. I'll be able to post a full load order when I get home but the big ones from the top of my head:

Basic Pre-Reqs, UI, Minimal Balance and Texture Mods.
AWKCR, DEF_UI, Valdcil's Item Sorting, the updated/additional icons mod (forgot its name)
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.
Vivid Fallout, Vivid Weather
Scrap Everything, Better Companions (All in One?), Equillibrium, Weapons of Fate (though I can't tell if this one is working, any time I try to lead a far off target it turns out I didn't need to)
A glow mod for magazines, holotapes, and bobbleheads, it is some kind of all in one mod.
Wasteland Salon(?) and LooksMenu.

Biggest changes mods:
Sim Settlements Three In One
Year-One Megapack for Sim Settlements
More Mayors (for sim settlements)
IDEK's Logistics Station for Sim Settlements (seriously, this one should just be baked right into the mod)
Pre-war safe's and trunk contents overhaul (only a recent install so I haven't seen really what it does, but I had gotten tired of pipe guns everywhere.)

Don't need any weight mods as that comes with Vald's Item sorting. I chose to customize the installation, but Vald's Picks + DLC is good enough if you really don't wanna deal with it.
Not listing the BAZILLION compatibility patches that exist for those basic mods and the unofficial fallout patch.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
For the people who play with sim settlements here, do you still use the city plans or just build plots yourself for advanced industrial stuff? I've gotten sanctuary to level 3, 26/26 people (finally), but find that it feels kinda hollow when I look all around and see what should be "shops" or "recreational" but the city never builds anything there. Then I find myself wanting of extra space for advanced industrial stuff and I am starting to try and find a way to tear down the city but leave the plots intact (but I can't find one so far).

Also the auto city assigner keeps taking people off the IDEK's logistic facilities which just fucks everything up if I don't manually assign someone to it before I leave. And I can't seem to figure out what point an advanced industrial should upgrade. A saw mill had collected over 300 wood, but still refuses to upgrade, while a different one had done so around 200.

I kinda wish putting junk in the supplies box in a non-city settlement at the city workbench would evenly split all resulting resources to each advanced industrial plot's stockpile so I could have a one stop place to dump stuff. That would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Reinstalling this game, I think the last time I played was June of 2018. Using MO2 and having everything just downloaded directly from nexus made it really easy to set up a base of mods I want. A more vanilla setup but with minor QOL and sim settlements. I think I've got everything sorted except for two things.

I cannot get DEF_UI to work. Specifically the def_inv with item sorting. I think it has something to do with MO2. Installing and activating it doesn't seem to take and everything stays the same as vanilla. It doesn't seem to cause any problems other than just acting like I never installed it. Even tried to install it manually. That didn't work as well, but hell if I know what I'm doing there. I really want to try out this game with tabbed sorting and icons, but I've wrestled with this for so long it is killing my drive to play at all. Okay. I think I figured out what went wrong here. I swear i read somewhere that MO2 set up the ini files for modding so you didn't have to manually, but I guess not? I just followed the steps to enable modding here and then everything started to work.

I cannot find a gun rebalance mod that has been updated after the DLC were released. All that I remember from my play through of vanilla was that the combat rifle was the be all end all of guns and it kinda sucked there wasn't much of options at higher levels. Am I just misremembering and a gun rebalance isn't really needed? EDIT: For now I'm using Equilibrium but I'm still open for suggestions.

Now I'm on to a problem where any kind of overlay send the FPS sky rocketing and because FO4 bases stuff off the FPS poo poo goes bananas fast, such as lockpicking and menu animations.

Broose fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 16, 2020