Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Weird idea this morning: Synth Cat Mod

Cats can be built at the Robotics Workbench, in a variety of colors
Will exhibit catlike behavior
Can be petted
Can be assigned to different settlements, but not as provisioners or actual workers
(OPTIONAL) Using a plasma or laser weapon, can be weaponized - cat will engage hostile targets, shooting energy beam from mouth and yowling horribly
Weaponized cat may be picked up and used as weapon
Weaponized cat will explode (plasma grenade) on death or (if being used as weapon) on arm crippling of operator (like Suiciders)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, finally feeling the need for another runthrough, and want to drop a pile of mods in, so I've been both trawling back through this thread and browsing Nexus :ohdear:. I, uhhh, may have a problem... still no weather, vegetation or lighting mods, and (mostly) lacking high-res textures for stuff, and I've got 16.9 gig downloaded. (Lots and lots of music/radio stations, though.) However, I've got a few lot of things to choose from, for various categories.

1 - Give me another bullet, John. SOMEONE GIVE ME A BULLET! - Not only would I like to buy 7.62 and .45-70 within the Commonwealth, I'd also like to purchase mod-added ammo without using the console, or magic footlockers. I've also been spoiled by FONV's reloading benches, and would like to add that kind of functionality without having really stupid recipes/components or prerequisite mods that conflict with other mods or make the game go HRRRRNNNG and fall over. Professional Ammo Crafting sounds good, but I've no real idea how well it functions. (At some point, but not right away, I might want to add new ammo types like hollowpoints, armor piercing, or Nerf dart. Wait, there's a mod for that already.)

2 - GUNS! GUNS! GUNS! [/Boddicker] - I have a *shitload* of crap to add, and yet am missing things that I really want. (Seriously, multiple :nws: dildobat :nws: mods, even a multiple sex toy compilation, and no loving decent Single Action Army? With proper loading-gate animations?) Some things come packed in with a bunch of other things I don't want (looking at you, Modern Firearms, holding my FAL and M-60 hostage), and others, while standalone, may be dupes of items included elsewhere - such as Weaponsmith Extended. Oh dear gently caress, so many weapons I *don't* want there... but, it does seem to tie into a lot of other stuff. (I intend to wedge most of the ironmongery into levelled lists, because I like the idea of looting M-1 Carbines and 1858 Remingtons from Jet-fuelled assholes. :black101:)(Fake edit: AAAAAAH! This exists and we still don't have a cartridge-conversion Colt Walker? :argh:)

3 - CLOTHES! ARMOR! HATS! [/Boddicker] - See above, and switch the gunfondling for haberdashery, and so Armorsmith Extended. Although I expect I won't have to de-perv the way I'll need to delete weapons.

3a - PURGE THE XENOS! [/Boddicker] - Yeah, power armor gets a section too. Looking for less of an "overall" package than adding in pretty-princess-dressup paints, some custom additional armors and the like. Worsin's PA Garage and War Tags both look good, but I don't see anything about them coexisting nicely, so... <sigh>

4 - It's 2077, where's my loving Jetpack? - Power-armor jetpacks, I *love*, and will continue to use. But, standalones? There's two big ones, but they both seem to be tied into bigger cyberpunk-y/tactilol-y mods (CROSS Cybernetics and Personal Jetpack-now-C.U.T.E.). I don't want silly-rear end "invisible item" or "magic ring" mods, I just want a retro-ish noisy flame-and-smoke-spewing backpack so the Silver Shroud can come swooping in to dispatch EVIL! :getin:

5 - We're building a fighting force settlement of extraordinary magnitude... - Yep, the mod that pulled me back in, All Settlements Extended, plus Sim Settlements to see if I like it. Probably more stuff as well, like Settlement Object Expanded, and (if chosen) workbenches and such required for/used by ASE/WSE/ETC.

6 - If it's too loud, then you've probably been stuck in cryosuspension for 210 years. - Music replacers, music addons, extra radio stations, radio revamps/replacers... this is mandatory. (And if possible, I want to get that new flag added as a patch to all Minutemen uniforms. And dreads for Preston.)

6a - EH? WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY? - I first heard Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul in a different mod's video, and immediately went looking for it. Other than some weapons and PA sound changes, this is it so far for general audio.

7 - OK, this looks... :stare: :stonk: :allbuttons: - That's right, the Companions section and excuse me for a moment <searches Amazon for brain bleach and wire bushes> I'll come back later for some *minimal* mods. *Non-deviant* mods. "Finally: Makes dogmeat your lover, allowing for that perk Lovers Embrace."

8 - See #7, except it's player mods/skins, and :nws::nms: "Ever been out wondering in the wastes and thought, 'poo poo... I wish I could play as my grandma.' No?! Me neither but if you did then this is the mod for you.":nws::nms:

9 - [PLACEHOLDER FOR SNARKY WEATHER/ENVIRONMENTAL COMMENT] - having used some really awesome FONV weather mods, and a Skyrim set that was weather + actual winter snowy/frozen appearance, I'd like to try and add something similar to FO4. (Not winter, I don't think it'd really pull off the "poo poo, this looks like my Montana childhood, my balls just froze off and stuck to the floor" immersion.)

10 - Is my videocard supposed to whine like that? - High-res/non-high-res-but-prettier/GIVE ME ALL THE RES! textures/skins for things not being worn/carried. This is neat. This I also like the looks of. (Cardboard Dogmeat standee not included)

11 - Shoot, a feller could have a pretty good time in Vegas with all that stuff! - Things that don't really fit in other categories, like the Portable Folding Chair, Real Comics, and Dead Body Collision, for example. (Late addition!)

There may be more categories added, as need be, and certainly detailed questions/potential modsets in later posts, but I think I've typed/horrified/nauseated everyone enough for the moment. The Big Guitar Case Full Of Guns post will probably be done in the next day or so.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hobo on Fire posted:

I can't speak to everything you want addressed, but I'll put in my two cents for a few mods I use.

Lore Friendly DLC Weapons in Commonwealth
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17836/

Adds handmade, radium and lever action rifles (with ammo) into leveled lists, so they'll show up on raiders and weapon merchant inventories. They get pretty common in the Commonwealth with this; Rust Devils in particular almost always seem to spawn with either a lever action or a handmade rifle.

That sounds good - I won't have the Nuka Ganger merchants this run, as I'm thinking of going "So, I'm the Overboss? Overboss says DIE!" as soon as I get my gear back. :bustem:

quote:

You brought up Professional Ammo Crafting too, and I'll vouch for it doing what it says on the tin. A new workbench (uses the same model as one of the weapon benches) where you can craft ammo. Perks are required for a few of them, but basic early game ammo types are craftable as soon as you build the bench.

The big thing with PAC I was wondering is, how much powder/propellant (if any) do you get back? It would suck to break down the 3k of .38 I'd collected and not get enough powder to make anything.

quote:

I use the CROSS jetpack without his cybernetics mod and it works fine. There are two issues with it, but nothing horrible. First, is that when you initially build the jetpack, you can't fly with it. It has to be upgraded at an armor bench to do anything more than provide a speed boost while sprinting. You'll need several ranks in both the Science! and armorer perks to do so, IIRC. Issue number two is fall damage. The jetpack has a mod slot that can reduce fall damage, but not get rid of it entirely. I pair it with this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24624/ which adds fall damage reduction to the Adamantium Skeleton perk, with full immunity to fall damage at the third rank.

I've also been toying with this lately: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25851/
Aside from removing the AP drain from jetpack use (which I believe is a toggle-able feature) it allows you to tweak things like acceleration and horizontal speed while flying. Useful if you think the default jetpack movement is too slow/fast.

Cool, that helps. As stated, I *love* jetpacks, but I don't really want to tank around everywhere like I did my first playthrough. (aka Ninja McJackdaw, Master of All Skills) I keep collecting all these cool outfits and armors, an never get to show 'em off/use the special features because I'm in my tin can. :doom:

quote:

For settlement stuff, I'll make the suggestion of Recruitable Settlers https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16304/
It places NPCs around the map that you can invite to your settlements, rather than relying solely on the radio beacon. Many of the new NPCs have special abilities, like extra food production or the ability to sniff out synth infiltrators. There are also a bunch of legendary merchants available, including one from each of the Nuka World gangs that you can assign to normal settlements, and the only requirement to get them is being level 25. You don't need to have started the DLC, they won't turn hostile if you murder the rest of their gang... just give them a general goods stand and they'll sell their faction's weapons and armor, along with various other nuka world junk.

There, I'm still not sure - my settlement crap has mostly been focused on more/prettier/better components so far.

Weaponpost coming as soon as I finish editing it - for once, I'm smart enough to write it all offline. :science:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Hobo on Fire posted:

Yeah, PAC breakdowns won't be enough to craft new ammo by themselves. The ammo recipes usually call for lead, copper, acid, wood, and sometimes aluminum. The breakdown recipes give you "ammo scrap" junk items which will have some copper and lead, and maybe aluminum if its applicable to the ammo type. You'll need a supply of acid and wood to make any new ammo.

Argh... spoiled by New Vegas. (I ran increased spawns there, along with a mod that added Legion/NCR patrols along various highways; a loop from Novac up to Wolfhorn Ranch, and then back via Seachlight and the eastern road by the hills, would yield a *shitload* of loot, and I'd typically break down everything I wasn't using to make more of what i did. My room at Novac usually ended up with dozens of pounds of powder alone.)

Guess I'll play around with the relading mods some, when I get going. I can always make a special cheat-save just to test things out before venturing out on the bloody trail of vengeance for real. :black101:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
:argh: gently caress, I lost my edited weapons-mod post, so back to sloppy-thinking online I guess.

Quick overall-mod question: Weaponsmith Extended, Armorsmith Extended, Gunsmith Extended - I know there was some discussion a while back about at least one of these becoming a bloated turd, which one was it? And, did it get better?

VAFS - VaultTec Accelerated Focus System - Manual Criticals AND Bullet Time looks a bit more my style than the other big bullet-time mod, any reason not to use it (other than the Sim Settlements thing)?

Live Dismemberment - :unsmigghh: If everyone is tough enough to not notice they're on fire, then fuckit, they're tough enough to lose a limb and keep fighting.

Unrelated/not actually using, but it's the "reason for the season" mod.

Vertical Spawns - Aerial Assault --Vertical and Highway Spawns - I kind of thought it was pretty deserted up there.

Below The Belt - LOW HANGING FRUIT

Obedient Concord Group - Enough with the hammering already.

Take Your Cores - no more "gee, I left it parked here YOU loving JACKDAW GIMME THAT BACK!"

Playable Skeleton - now we need a "Playable Trumpet" mod.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Quick couple of mods, one will be neat if development is continued.

I'm sure *no one* will use this along with Loverslab poo poo to desoul people and make them into gently caress golems. (SFW) Soul Harvester - Steal and Re-Purpose Enemy Souls

Ridable Deathclaw

I think you can guess which one I'd like to see more of.

PRAISE THE EMPEROR!

Have a few random quotes from the character presets/body, face and hair sections. (No links, you can thank me for that later.)

"This mod replaces the male and female hanging/decapitated raider corpses with EVB-CBBE based ones."

"Hourglass shaped Bimbo body"

"A modified version of EVB with physics-enabled genitals"

"Introducing Boibomb: a femboy CBBE BodySlide preset!"

"Spent some time crafting a face that is close to Sasha Grey and a CBBE Bodyslide Preset to go along with it."

"Super Anti-Ballistic Chest Padding For Courser X-92 Power Suit (CBBE Bodyslide Preset)"

Oh, and just in case you were nostalgic for Fallout 3.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Kokoro Wish posted:

I am nostalgic for Fallout 3. Is someone remaking it using the FO4 engine?

Someone probably is, trying to create The Tale of Three Wastelands or something, but that's just a filter/texture set (mostly) to make the Commonwealth look like DC. Nasty green filter ahoy! (I think dude had an optional one for the FONV color scheme, too, but the green is what stood out for me.)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Awww, poo poo. I just realized - the synth arm "prosthetic" from Evil Detective Synth Arm(or) is only going to work with that specific outfit, isn't it?

Maybe the arms (or the needed bits from an actual Synth model) could be welded into Unique Player?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

staberind posted:

you can find out by dropping the nif from it into the unique body folder?

I'll have a fiddle with it and tell you what i did, i think there will be 3 variations left arm synth, then right then both synth., have a think on what you prefer.

Oh cool, all I'm really looking for is a left arm. I've been grabbing all kinds of armor/clothes mods thinking "this will look good with that arm", and didn't think about the fact that the original mod was just clothing/armor. :doh: Thanks!

staberind posted:

my only masochistic peeve is random people other than myself cannot use the artiliary bombardment smoke grenades.

Too bad they can't be loaded into fireworks launchers. Since those can be autofired when, say, some AI settler sets off the raid siren.

You know anyone other than you would throw those into your feet while you're in a knife-fight, right? "Hmmm, why don't I give Boone some grenades?" <final thoughts before an FONV reload>

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 28, 2017

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Midnight Voyager posted:

As someone who tried to help someone figure out a way to make Nick able to wear more clothes and keep his arm, the armatures (ha) are half the problem. There's no drag and drop solution, I'm afraid. It requires a lot of dumb fiddling in the ESP, editing outfits, then there's clipping because something went wrong and fuuuuck, etc. It's a pain in the rear end.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7035/

You may want to look at how one of these does it and go from there.

That comes out looking pretty decent, actually.

Hmmm. Digging around, there's the Synth Glove, right-hand only. (Pip-Boy may be the issue with the left. Don't know that I want to go to a pad version, though.) And OH GODDAMMIT

Synth Arm Armor

Keeps me from wearing armor on that arm, but if it's totally ~MAH IMMERSION~ breaking, i can swap to armor + the Synth Glove. (I think. Will have to download and see.)

I'm getting closer... although I'm now digging through the Visuals & Graphics and Environments catagories - more stuff to pick and choose from, less horrible poo poo.

Right?

Right?

:ohdear:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Midnight Voyager posted:

That doesn't look half bad, but I RECALL there being problems with gloves specifically. Notice none of those has gloves. There's some thing where anything with gloves will force-override your hands? Older games would let you have different armatures based on race, but something about Fallout 4 didn't do that right? Anyway, that's why I'd suggest Nick mods to figure out how to get around it. Maybe some of them will have found a better way than inexplicably both-gloved-hands. And glove items do not override gloves in outfits, it's either or.

If it could be made to work with any outfit, that'd be pretty rad. An Imperator Furiosa with her mechanical arm that isn't just baked into the outfit? Hell yeah.

I think I can live with glove overrides - it's the "no armor but synth armor" part I wanted to avoid. I'm just going to have to wedge everything in I want for the character building, make a save and start playing with poo poo to see how it works/looks.

Speaking of seeing how things look/work, hoooo boy. Drooling over some of these foliage mods, and wondering exactly how far I can go and still keep it playable/not set my system on fire. Specs are: i7-4790 (4 GHz), 16 gig RAM, and GTX960 w/16 gig. No overclocking, and Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

These look pretty swippy, but how's it going to run when six Raiders are faffing about throwing molotovs during a radstorm or something?

(We shall not speak of searching for dropped or merely spawned items, nor mines and booby traps.)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Hrrrng. Welp, got my character built and out of the Vault, anyway. (Seems the neat eye collection for use with LooksMenu really needs those "optional" files, otherwise it's an Event Horizon character creator without the gore.) And obviously I've got something hosed up already, as neither Synth Gloves nor Synth Arm Armor work correctly - I can turn my hands (glove only) or most of my body (full armor) invisible, in 1st or 3rd person. Prototype Vault Suit works fine, so it's possibly something synth-texture related. (Using MO 2.0.8.1 since that seems to be stable and non-memory-leaking, from what this thread says.)

Will gently caress with it more tomorrow later today, how the hell did it get to be 3 AM already?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Yay! Figured out that there was an extra layer (the "data" directory) that was being installed by the mod/MO2, and thus the actual meshes/etc. weren't being found in the right spot. I'm not sure why one of the Synth Hand gloves is invisible in 3rd person, but now that I have *some* idea of what may be borked, I can look into that.

Might have to actually learn how to pro game modder 360 nifscope, because the ED full arm does look neat, but the male version beats hell out of the corset one.

Maybe in a few months I'll have my mods set up right and be able to actually play...

Edit - it's the Synth Arm Armor one - fixed the glove version for 3rd person, but the arm of the full armor is now 3rd-person invisible. :science: Also, the glove appears to be adding the entire synth arm without removing the flesh one, as the aftermarket parts clip through the meat. :aaa:

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 29, 2017

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

staberind posted:

I got sucked into x3 again like a complete wilbur,
nice choice of hair.
lemme go and do the needful some things, but please to be using unique player character.

Not my character, it's from the person that made the male-to-female mesh for Evil Detective here.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I mean, that's less "more options for synthy armatures" and more "more near-naked outfits that happen to have synth-like themes."

If they didn't like the corsety bit on the mod they're using, I don't think tits-and-wires is going to be up their alley...

It's not so much that I dislike the corset, it's that the dress-shirt/tie and vest looks better.

Yeah, electroluminescent underwires aren't the aesthetic I'm after.

Speaking of aesthetic,

this looks good, albeit at the cost of first-person animations and all. <click for modlink>

Back to screwing around, adding and changing things. Old World Radio - Boston is huge, and I like a lot of it, but might gouge out several of the stations and add my own musical selections. (No NIN, 8-Bit and Pee-Wee, thank you.)

Lootable Vault-Tec Containers and Wood Crates certainly makes the rarer materials easier to collect, at least from Vaults. Might be a bit much, though.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Saint Sputnik posted:

You don't want to just use the Pip-pad and remove that stupid thing entirely?

Nah, I like the Pip-Boy, i just don't like that it was made for Roid Facestab, the inverted-triangle man.

staberind posted:

In a basement in the south of england, a goon closes his eyes and shakes his head.

If you are into carnage with a mad beat : http://criminimal.net/podcast/?p=archive

I'll probably end up adding in early soul and R&B/Northern Soul stuff, as well as noir/suspense-type movie scores (different station, if course). Since my own selections aren't going to be distributed, I don't have to only pick from the public domain. This also means the CBS Radio Mystery Theatre can join the other OTR stations I've already added.

I've consoled in a shitload of materials so i can test various craftable items, and also a stupid amount of perk points and experience just so I can faff about and find out that those generic raiders I was dunking on are now somewhat more jacked up, thanks to Raider Overhaul. :black101: Nights are a lot more dangerous since I turned on NAC, but the Red Rocket looks so good all lit up (via the big combo-pack mod that illuminates the Rocket, diners and the drive-in, bus stops and assorted billboards and signage). I can lock nearly all containers and doorways, I can try to shoot or blow up locks, I can sleep on couches... I've barely added any of the clothing or armor yet, none of the weapons or power-armor mods, and I'm already at like 60+ mods. :v:

Enhanced Gun Smoke *and* Dynamic Muzzle Shadows? Sure, why not...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, threw in Modern FIrearms - I absolutely want a moddable FN-FAL, and can live with some level of tactispergery to it... but dear god all the additional poo poo. "Hey, random Super Mutant raiding party. All three packing .338 Lapua sniper rifles." :smithicide: MF is geting taken out back behind the woodshed when I get back to the computer. (I liked the additional tactical/modern stuff for my STALKER Call of Chernobyl run, and I added enough guns and accessories via mods to 7.62mm to CTD on opening vendor inventories, but much like some of the radio stations and the Pip-Pad, it doesn't fit the way I want the game to be.)

Maybe someone might make a T48 mod, with a Trilux option. :clint:

I did pimp out the Handmade Revolver of the Strong (+25% damage Legendary, IIRC) into .45, kept it short for better hipfiring and threw on a can. That cleared all of Corvega nearly flawlessly, and I think I'm going to miss it when I restart the game once the modset is complete. The bullet-time mod I added makes for *disgusting* gunfights. :getin::unsmigghh:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

staberind posted:

I know, Its daft, I'd go for a large melee/bfg split. supermutants should not be wanting to shoot the balls off of stingwings.

Super Mutants would be more likely to appreciate the power of the round, and then obrez it down into a pistol and weld an axe ead to it for close combat.

Buh-bye Modern Firearms, lemme throw in some more clothing mods and some item retexes and hey, why not try this Vertical Spawns thing?

You know that one apartment building in Lexington, where that methed Jet'd-out Raider in power armor lurks? Has a weapons bench? Having just used said bench before saving, adding Vertical Spawns and then loading can get *really* loving sporty...

Gunners I expected. An eight-pack of Forged (remember, using Raiders Redux too), not so much. Plus some plain (still upgraded) Raiders. All right outside where the windows used to be, so evrrybody saw me. :ohdear:

Thar was an awful loving lot of Gunners, though. I think just clearing that interchange I whacked five or more commanders in power armor - and other than more faces and some added armor types, they're stock.

I am thinking that I may avoid the elevated freeways until I level up some, once I start playing for real...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

staberind posted:

Half the fun of cbbe is using outfit studio to do mashups. I consider stuff like tits and wires to be the base, and try to make an armour collection, (the mercenary underarmours are a fave, with some nice boots, ) I'm less into POWERTITSANDASS, more into making mashups with interesting sts of meshes.
if thats not an option for someone, yeah, your point is exactly that: sillicone synthy T&A

I really should have paid more attention to this, but I was discounting Bodyslide as I didn't want to use Complete Boobs and Butt Exaggeration... This Was An Error. It looks like I can do most or all of the baseline outfit fuckery I need via Outfit Studio, like converting custom-body stuff down to vanilla, male-to-female or vicey-versey, and warping/retexturing/resizing poo poo to fit my own preferences. (CapnBeeb - try it to see if you can edit that Skullface hat into what you want, dude!)

Some of what I slopped in last night included a bunch of "component" outfits, where bits and bobs could be assembled in user-chosen, uhhh, choices - which really showed that a lot of stuff was sex-specific (male/female, I mean) and also that it wasn't designed for mix'n'match. (Females in the mobster shirt and pants combo had some exposed midriff going on, and not in the "sexy" way. A "scavenged NCR holster" shoulder-holster set levitated a few inches off the female body, and clipped well into the upper arms.)

Too bad there's not a similar utility for weapons... or is there?

<please allow a lot more delay before I finalize my modset and start playing, because now it's not Barbie SOPMOD with default items, but rather >

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

staberind posted:

As well as helping me lay waste to anything, I want everyone to look gorgeousClassy. oblivion was extra chromosome city. I booted up morrowind and forgot to put in better bodies. oh lordy.

Now we can have classy poo poo.

All the modding I've done in other games has been plug'n'play, because I have no actual skills at creative stuff - I looked at building a new weapon for one game, downloaded a 3d modelling program and durrrrr... nope.

Now I can simply steal and modify the work of other people! :v: Playing with Outfit Studio got easier once I remembered i already *had* something that'd been modified male-to-female (that Evil Detective conversion - not the synth-arm one), so I opened up that male build and went to shrink'n'shape. I not only have some basic idea of what to do, but I found that said outfit is made up of discrete components - so I *can* gank that better belt/holster with the cuff-carrier and slap it into other outfits, or maybe as a seperate item per the other "component" clothing/accessories mod(s) I have.

Hell, I should be able to convert stuff from FONV to FO4, albeit at a major loss of detail/quality, right?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
OK, after having used Vertical Spawns for a while, I can honestly say "nay, gently caress this". The interchange at Lexington was just the beginning - there were a bunch of off-putting spawns, and some were solidly packed into too small an area, too close to enemy spawns, or both.

1 - side note about these high spawns: the AI does not handle gravity well. I ran into multiple spots where there was a pile of corpses - the high-spawned NPCs walked off the the edge because there was an enemy somewhere below. (Although watching a Behemoth do so was hilarious.)

2 - the freeway over the road up to ArcJet is infested with Super Mutants. This is fine. There's also two Behemoths on the top deck. See previous note regarding lemming impression.

3 - just down the road where the wrecked passenger-train car is in the pit, there's a shitload of Children of Atom. Enough so, firing enough Gamma Guns, that getting dogpiled resulted in CTDs.

4 - That Red Rocket on the northern edge of Cambridge, where some survivor was living on the roof? Like five or so Tankbots on the roof.

5 - Cambridge Square, there's less of a feral ghoul problem - because there's a shitload of Triggerman ghouls all over.

6 - OK, let's head towards Diamond Ci... my, that's a lot of gunfire. Oh look, roofs covered in Raiders or Super Mutants, including more Behemoths. But don't fret, the ground is swarming as well, including a three-pack of Behemoths: Epic, Glowing and I forget what the other was. Better clear a rooftop and hide tactically utilize the high gr.. holy *poo poo* look at all the roof apes. Ended up heading into Kendall Hospital because it was *safer*.

7 - finally sleaze my way past the Riptide, what are all the bots above Hangman's Alley shooting at to the east? More Triggerman swarms - this is one of the lemming spots. There's even 15-20 Triggermen standing around on the outside roof of Fenway. A *lot* more Raiders on top of that one apartment building where they're usually fighting Super Mutants. And all the way over on top of a building by the lake? Forged, of course.

8 - wander around downtown some, Goodneighbor is clear, bunches of high-rise firefights along the way. Clear out Hub 360 for the hell of it, come out on the upper floor - JESUS gently caress the partially-constructed building across the way is *covered* in Raiders. Having aggroed them, the HUD radar is 70+% a solid red bar. :catstare: Well within grenade range, as a constant rain of molotovs, frags and Nuka Grenades demonstrated.

And that's where I fast-travelled back to Sanctuary to screw around doing some other poo poo. I'd really expected something more akin to the mods that added patrols and such to FONV and Skyrim, which not only travelled along patrol routes, but more organically reacted to enemy activity. <sigh>

While Vertical Spawns is out, Gunsmith Extended is a keeper. I'm using a Colt N99 mod as my primary 10mm, so the vanilla 10mm pistols are getting tweaked - a Legendary one got switched to 5mm and is being used for quiet magdumps on armored targets. The Silver Submachinegun is now in .50 AE, and neat! Don't know what mod changed it, but it's now got a Legendary effect, "Shoots Through Anything". :getin: Clearing the Goodneighbor warehouses as cake, because the bullet-time mod I have lets me spot nearby enemies through cover, and so I just murdered everyone from just inside the entry door. "Death has come for you... and I am its Shroud!"

I'll have to screw around more later, but I think I'm getting closer...

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
drat, I'm not sure what mod changed the effects of glowing enemies in FO4, but it's loving rad. Melee attack, they irradiate you by way of a blinding flash of light, and your vision is hosed for a moment, going from whiteout to blackout and they tend of fire again before you're back to normal. Hope you like VATS or have someone to help you...so far I've encountered it with mole rats, radroaches, and a nasty mix of a glowing legendary bloatfly, a glowing non-legendary and a glowing bloodsucker. :aaaaa:

Oh, and Glowing Ones, too.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Couple quick ones - more content for Videos of the Wasteland, now it's lore-friendly commercials and ads from the FO3 ad campaign. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27944/

And another synth-arm mod, with three outfits. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27945/

Gonna see if I can un-break VotC once the new clips download... I took a reel out of the drive-in projector while it was playing, which apparently breaks the mod. :(

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ygolonac posted:

Gonna see if I can un-break VotC once the new clips download... I took a reel out of the drive-in projector while it was playing, which apparently breaks the mod. :(

OK, I got the home video player to function, gotta get back to the drive-in and see if that's fixed too. Apparently, if you open the "container" of the video player to pull the holotapes out, it breaks, and has to be put back in the workshop and then re-placed by the TV. Got videos up now, though.

More annoying issue, though: I'm used to the Raider Hoarders screaming and running in terror - that's a feature of the Raider Overhaul mod, not a bug - but now almost *every* enemy is doing that poo poo. Raiders, Gunners... the Super Mutant Behemoth at "Carhenge" near Walden Pond? I had to hide and wait for him to calm down and come back, twice... and you don't want to knowhow much trudging I did chasing down that Legendary Alpha Feral Dog. :argh: DB High School, Raiders were *exiting the building* rather than face me - and I don't have Terrifying Presence unless something added it without notice. Gonna try lowering my DT some, as that came up in Google looking for "terrified enemies", but if not I dunno what to do next.

Edit: stripping weave didn't change things, removing most of my armor didn't either. Guess at this point the game considers this effect (added by Legendary Overhaul) to be OP:

quote:

Overseer’s [+2 PER]
Each enemy around you is highlighted and then grants you bonus damage resistance while it's still alive.

It *is* fairly disgusting, though - it acts as "Sense Life" in Skyrim, but will spot turrets, robots and synths.

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 20, 2017

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Awww, out of nowhere I'm getting crashes before the game even finishes loading, usvfs_x64.dll being the culprit. Hadn't changed anything in a while, either. (Starting a new game, even modded, does work, at least up until just after the Vault-Tec salesman comes by - that's where I quit back out.) Using LePresidente's fork of Mod Organizer 2, 2.0.8.1, which is where usvfs_x64.dll comes from.

If I take this opportunity to upgrade to the newest 2.1.1 release, is that going to force me to rebuild my modset etc.? Or can I just point it at the current MO2 directory and let it overwrite (after I make a backup, obviously)?

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 7, 2018

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Seashell Salesman posted:

I like the idea of bringing back the old hunting rifle but there is something really off about this model that I can't fully describe: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28851

It appears to have an exact copy of the 1911 pistol grip, and the receiver and charging handle seem really weird for a hunting rifle. The charging handle looks like it's from an open bolt submachinegun like a Thompson?

It looks like an actual semiauto rifle, I can't recall the name but it was an off-brand of some sort, I want to say circa late-'60s/ear;y-to-mid-'70s, not very popular. The grip *panels* are 1911, the grip frame is... off.

Could be worse, though. Some modder might have only this to reference:

Edit: aaaaand magically FO4 started working again. Rolled back a few in-game hours and the saves loaded properly again, which they weren't doing last night at *all*.

To quote Todd: "It's just hosed!"

Is there a mod that helps the BoS actually fly Vertibirds? I forgot how bad they were... Brotherhood of Flaming Wreckage, belike. I know there's one that has varying levels of toughened Vertis, up to "may as well be invincible and hey skygod has Finger of Doom weapons too" level, but watching them corkscrew around into trees/buildings/etc. is painful to watch. (Originally, there was a fleet of fifty airships out of DC, but the rest lawndarted chasing individual mole rats and suchlike.)

Ygolonac fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 8, 2018

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ygolonac posted:

To quote Todd: "It's just hosed!"

Back to crashing again, so I'm about ready to drop back into mod-picking again and restart. :smithicide: I'd be able to cleanly upgrade into the new Sim Settlements stuff, too. As well as add the rest of the weaoin/armor/PA/clothing mods I'd been considering - I'd kind of segued into "keep playing" mode from "keep testing mods". :v:

It's just... I'm *almost* level 100. I *almost* have Curie at max affection. I've *finally* gotten a second AK as a legendary drop. (Seriously, I've gotten multiple Harpoon Guns with the same legendary power as drops before the second Handmade Rifle ever appeared.)

:smithicide:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Hmmmm. I'd been noticing a "hitch" when looting Pre-War Money from containers - I was also getting the same delay on Legendary items, and the readable comic books from a mod I added - and found that trying to transfer the money to a container would lock the game up. (Well, $9k or so out of the $10.4k in inventory.) Went to an much earlier save, same issue. Same early save, buy from a merchant and pay in that same $9k-ish Federal buttwipe, there's a hitch... and the game continues. Seems the Legendary delay is gone as well.

Thing is, the only thing I'd done with the Pre-War Money was a retex mod that changed it into War Bonds - that shouldn't have hosed with the way the savegame was handling that item, right?

I'll keep screwing around off the last save I did after divesting my portfolio, see if it stays stable... ot's only a 39 meg savegame, that should be OK. :suicide:

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Glazius posted:

If a script is running on every item, especially during a transfer, the scripting engine can get overloaded independent of the game. Have you done anything to increase the amount of resources allocated to Papyrus in your ini?

I believe the .ini is box stock other than ArchiveInvalidation (which was done by MO2). What should I be fumbling with?

Looks like it was the Pre-War Cash for sure, because I romped and stomped all over the Commonwealth for a few hours, gained about 2.5 levels and no stuttering even picking up legendaries.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Oh hey, something has happened - Synths, when killed, now have a chance to explode into a ball of lightning like a pulse grenade. :science:

The only changes I've made recently were to add The Numbers Station and Pack Attack NPC Edition. :iiam:

Mind you, I'm not *complaining*... because it's loving hilarious.

Does make stealthy knife attacks a bit less stealthy, though.

(Mental note: do not make VATS knife attacks on Super Mutant Suiciders.)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pack Attack NPC Edition brings the AI from the mod that made NPC dogs of the game work together in packs and brings it to the raiders and soldiers of the Commonwealth. Now they work together better in attempting to stalk you down and kill you.

SSK Combat Stalkers randomly spawns hostiles NPC akin to the players level and gives them something challenging and extra to fight in the Commonwealth. Hostiles will hide and ambush, stalk, or chase depending on your actions.

Tried these two - Pack Attack first, seems interesting as long as the enemies get a chance to maneuver; clearing outside Corvega, the raiders were actually flanking and poo poo, and moving out to try and hunt me when I started sniping from the building with the truck wreck on the upper floor.

Just threw SSK on tonight, ran the enemies up to 3-6 at a time, turned off all notifications :getin:... and kind of forgot because I was doing fiddly settlement poo poo at Mirelurk. Finish up and go over to the Annihilator Sentry Bot spawn (nobody home), turn around and

OH HI THERE

Assaultron Dominator
Legendary Assaultron Invader
and a Legendary Colonel Gutsy

A quick experiment in how well the shotshell version of the Handmade Revolver works against bots, and back to Mirelurk for a couple minutes. Leave there, start heading towards the church at Hyde Park, and who comes clanking up?

Legendary Protectron Guardian

:ninja: Guess that one couldn't keep up with the rest. But, game time was 0400, pouring rain, so I headed to Jamaica Plain to nap 'til dawn.

OHSHI

Wake up to at least three Institute goons standing over me - one Courser for sure, one that might have been a Rogue Courser from the Fusion Gun mod (which would mean he has one and this is gonna hurt) and one that might just be a synth - and that's where the game crashed. (Not blaming that mod, it's my usual FO4 freeze.)

tl;dr - SSK Combat Stalkers is wonderful, murder will await you everywhere

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
There's an airhorn or something, might even be part of the actual settlement-building DLC stuff, that will act as a "start/stop work" trigger. At least, it did so when I was last playing, which was... uhm, last summer?, maybe.

Having the settlers loitering around is great, when you have a bunch of exercise equipment, and beta-wave towers so there's also tame deathclaws standing around watching.

"Hey, Sam."
"Hi, Ralph."
"Morning, Enormous Doom Lizard."
"GRRRRRONNK."

Giving some serious thought to restarting FO4, between watching MxR's mod videos, and the ones showing some loving awesome results you can get by glitching things into walls using carpets and such.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Electric Phantasm posted:

Also is there anything to expand the variety of fences? It seems like there's only this, I want something more beside junk fences.

If you can live without it being a real "fence", you can use most wall sections - I like bunkering up with concrete walls, myself, or the big concrete cubes/bases if I want a setback walkway. Vault atrium parts are good for this, as well, but are kinda spendy in materials and look a bit odd.

I seem to recall doing some with barn or warehouse wall sections, but I may be conflating those with "giant generator warehouse" builds.

Vault parts are great for Oppression Palaces looming over the settlement, bristling with turrets and spotlights.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Ashsaber posted:

So, how much trouble would it be to do some manual installation of mods along with MO2's installation? Because I have so far had two different mods not install correctly with it. One didn't add a plugin needed to actually use the mod, another added the plugin, but failed to install the scripts properly, leaving the mod doing nothing.

I think I could fix those issues by just manually doing stuff, but I want to make sure it wouldn't gently caress things up too bad to do so first.

IIRC, you can do manual-type installs with MO2, without having to bloat up your actual FO4 directory. I know I was having to load the packaged mod and modify where needed scripts/resources actually were, because the original mod creator had hosed things up somehow. (Minutemen Dem Radio was the main offender that I remember - worth it to swap in reggae for the default Minutemen music, in my opinion.)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I just kinda half-assed around experimenting when I needed to fix my mods - worst that can happen is having to nuke the mod again and retry. (You might use a separate profile for testing purposes.)

It's been quite a while since I played FO4, though - think I gave up partially because even with a bunch of mods, it was getting awfully repetitive, and I was having some issues with Sim Settlements not properly advancing tech trees for certain plots. (Stupid Nuka lab.)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
F4 Power Armor is just like your regular armor, except the frame is the "body" wearing the parts.

And much like that sketchy "plug-in" mod you got from the Slab, the "body" requires something to be inserted before it works.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Morality_Police posted:

So what you're saying is I've been climbing in and out of the mechanical rear end in a top hat of a robot horse, sort of like the rhino in Ace Ventura 2?

"Giddy Up in the Butt, Ercup."

FO4s PA changes still aren't as fun as FO3/NV, where long before you could *use* power armor, you could cheese at low level by following patrols around until someone died and you could loot the armor, then give it to your companion (Jericho was my choice) and keep following until you got to too dangerous an area or ran out of lootboxes BoS/Outcast patrollers.

<later>

"Why yes, we will teach such a sterling paragon how to use our most precious resource..."

<immediately whip out pristine stupid-rare high-end PA>

"Cool. Say, does this plasma grenade fit in your wallet?"

FO4 does have jetpacks, though, for full Space Marine cosplay action.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Original Sim Settlements (plus Industrial Revolution, I thnk) plus the scavenger beacons or whatever (call your NPC to come pick up a container or stuff and take it back to your base), I ended up with multiple ammo factories and ridiculous amounts of ammo just accumulating.

Water-baroning helps, of course, if you're regularly buying out all the ammo/scrap/materials with Atom's Finest Mostly-Pure Hydration. IIRC, I had the entire buildable area of the Sanctuary river filled with purifiers, at the end of my last run. (Had to make up for not getting the shitwater station down by the beached ship - the specific enemy I needed to kill didn''t spawn at the restaraunt/brewery. Seems it's a known bug, that the last enemy will sometimes pop at the construction site near the robotics plant, etc., and if you don't find and kill him, the recruitment mission stays locked. Couldn't even console-force it to complete. :()

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

aniviron posted:

I also find that it helps to add in weapons like the Schofield No. 2, Mauser (Chinese pistol), N99 10mm pistol, 10mm SMG, trench shotgun, etc. These spawn on raiders too, and it gives them more weapon variety and makes them worth looting sometimes without being a huge jump in power.

That's what I was trying to do with my Big Pile O' Mods build, add "appropriate" antiques and at least cut down the amount of 1) total jank and 2) dear god Bethesda this looks like hammered poo poo.

Of course, there were (and probably still are) fewer mods of that type, and ten billion ULTRA TACTICAL MODERN CALL OF COUNTER GUN DUTY STRIKE GUN things, both weaponry and gear. <sigh> Just wanted a simple folding-stock FAL in baby-poo poo Rhodesian camo, and original Vietnam-era tigerstripe fatigues. And assholes running around with single-action Colts revolvers, beater Winchester leverguns and hosed-up pump shotguns that someone dredged out of the wrecked cop car in the river.

Best pipe-type weapon mod I found was the home-made (?) revolver, because it fit the whole "overengineered heavy garage build" aesthetic. Especially if you were making cinder-block sized 12-gauge no-barrel bellyguns to hand out to setters.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Paul MaudDib posted:

What does a “normal” combat load look like for people in terms of weight? In the early game I’m normally running about 80 pounds but that’s with me carrying a few more weapons than I probably absolutely need to (both a pipe sniper and a hunting rifle, and an auto pipe rifle, and a shotgun, etc...). Could probably slim that down a bit but 20 extra pounds isn’t really making or breaking me (not doing survival)

Does that include the power armor, if you're not running a personal jetpack mod? Because jetpacking is fun, and lets you get to more places to start/finish a fight - I'm looking at you, feral hordes and deathclaws.

It's been forever since I actually played FO4, but IIRC unmodded I generally kept the Deliverator Deliverer, combat shotgun, sniper-type of some sort and a combat rifle, for slugthrowers. Laser rifle and plasma chopped to pistol for pew-pews, and I hardly ever did missile launchers and minguns/energy gatlings. (When I hit Nuka World and got AKs, especially the ones just lying about to steal/bullshit your way into getting, I'd (vanilla game) mod one into the sniper and the other into a Krink, and thus drop the original sniper and combat rifle from the loadout.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
As a horrible hoarder of in games, at the end of one New Vegas run, I pulled all my drugs, alcohol and more useful food from storage, went to the start point for the Hoover Dam battle, and sucked nearly all of it down. (Some of the night-vision stuff made me totally blind.) A trainload of Nukas and Sunsets, enough Jet and derivatives to make the Moon start slamdancing, you know, the usual.

The entire fight and about half the post-fight dialogue was in slo-mo, and I was just sprinting up and fire-axing everyone, including wossname the Legion warlord. :black101:

Took forever, though, 500+ Nukas take quite a while to drink.

Even sillier was a Skyrim modset that added racial bonuses, including Mighty Pounce and claw attacks for Khajit. On top of the modded unarmed fighting. And the killmove mod. Plus the "useful crates and barrels", which mode the smaller casks full of alcohol and skooma, which you could decant into empty bottles or just drink straight from the spigot.

Did I mention the mod thad made skooma actually useful? Movement and attack speed boosts (slo-mo) and i think melee buffs as well?

And the duration stacked? :catdrugs::getin:

Start outside dude's castle at the other end of Riften lake, where there was a cart with a cask that was dependably skooma. Shred through said castle like Chev Chelios playing Wolverine, still be all tweaked at the end, so run all the way to Whiterun murdering everything along the way, and end up at that little smuggler den on the north side to restock, but with enough Cornholio-mode for another three minutes of realtime. Go cat-fu'ing giants and mammoths.

Dammit, now I want my Jet implant from New Vegas in FO4.