Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Azhais posted:

People who put their tp that direction clearly don't own cats

so you know you can trust their judgement, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao at 55,000 tris

these people surely must know the point is to get the tri count as low as possible, without sacrificing major detail, right

55k is what I would use to bake the normal maps, jesus

e: it's 140 loving mb lmao

for reference the ENTIRE SUIT of power armor I'm making is 11k

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Looking at the mod, the barrel sheath/heat guard itself is 22k, almost half the entire gun's budget, because each one of those vents is a double-beveled, 16-sided hole lmao. This is straight-up a high-poly model used for baking.

The most complex vanilla gun I can think of (gauss rifle with extra large mag, recoil stock, reflex sight, silencer, and barrel casing) clocks in at 11k. the super high poly load screen version of the gauss rifle is 24k.

In short don't download this mod if you don't have a powerful PC.

Rinkles posted:

Is it really worse or is it just early days? I wasn't there during the nascent stages of Skyrim/NV modding.

In this particular instance there's no excuse, really, except arrogance.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 10, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidisDtYiXU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao at 55,000 tris

these people surely must know the point is to get the tri count as low as possible, without sacrificing major detail, right

55k is what I would use to bake the normal maps, jesus

e: it's 140 loving mb lmao

for reference the ENTIRE SUIT of power armor I'm making is 11k

Babe Magnet posted:

Looking at the mod, the barrel sheath/heat guard itself is 22k, almost half the entire gun's budget, because each one of those vents is a double-beveled, 16-sided hole lmao. This is straight-up a high-poly model used for baking.

The most complex vanilla gun I can think of (gauss rifle with extra large mag, recoil stock, reflex sight, silencer, and barrel casing) clocks in at 11k. the super high poly load screen version of the gauss rifle is 24k.

In short don't download this mod if you don't have a powerful PC.

so I posted a comment on the mod with these findings to maybe hopefully prod the mod author into fixing their retardedly dense gun a little bit, wasn't even rude or anything, maybe the worst thing I said was "This gun has way too many tris." poo poo I even ended my little report with "It's a very pretty gun but it's way too much, budget-wise", which as you'll note is a compliment as well as a critique.

Checked back today to see if they responded:

lmao the nexus owns

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That was posted after my post, I'm pretty sure. I definitely didn't see it when I was combing through the comments looking for that exact thing. It wasn't a debate or anything either, just some advice from someone who's had problems of this exact nature in the past (poo poo's way too dense causing problems due to too many polys being on screen at once)

Also high poly doesn't mean high quality. He means high definition. Also, doesn't matter, still unnecessarily high lol. I wasn't going to download it anyway due to everything I've said so it's not like I'm upset or anything, just thought it was funny.

e: especially seeing as I've offered this exact same advice in times past during oblivion and skyrim and nothing raw ever came of it. The Nexus used to be a lot more chill.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 11, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bring back TESSource

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That's what I'm thinking too. I'm doing some research right now because I have nothing to do.

Battlefield Hardline's HCAR is only 8800, and that's with all its ridges and buttresses and fancy bits. I have a bunch of black ops 3 models but I can't open .psk files in maya even though I just installed a plug-in for it but I know a ton of modern characters, who have to have animatable edge-loops and smooth geometry that are a lot lower than 55k. Geralt in his default get-up from 3 is only 30k believe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

That implies the modders have any real power.

This is more like I'm a plumber and I see your septic tank leaking out of your flower garden so you get offended and chase me off of your lawn.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I should probably make a merged patch. Probably why I haven't seen any chainsaws around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

basically if trainwiz made it you should download it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are people using build limit increaser mods? Is it still better to just drop weapons on the ground and send them to workshop to reset your build limit?

Babe Magnet posted:

basically if trainwiz made it you should download it

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14823/

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Panderfringe posted:

Ah, Nexus mods. Destroying good things to make the crybabies of the world happy.

if the guy deboed assets or used them without permission I'm glad he's getting his poo poo taken down until he changes it. Resurrection is cool and all but art theft is much less so. it takes like a minute to type up a note giving credit to the original author (which this guy apparently didn't even do) and to ask for permission to use assets someone else has created

e: lmao the guy who made Resurrection is a re-reg of an account banned for doing the same thing, stealing assets. Strike two, bitch

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 18, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

get a bigger screen, btich

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there was a pretty decent one but they arthmoore'd it up and now there's a dumb intro where you go through a synth processing facility

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

don't give a hoot about lore or whatever it just bloated the hell out of the beginning, which is what those kinds of mods are supposed to help you get around, bloated intros

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

inferior gaijin modding, doesn't only speak japanese

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you imagined it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what mod

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I thought maxwell's world was out, got me all hyped up for it lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

for being able to speak only japanese he's really good at english puns

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Azhais posted:

Has anyone made sure it doesn't use 138k triangles?

I know this is probably a joke but I'm downloading it to satisfy my curiosity and the mod is 95mb...

e: quick import of the baseline kar98k, no scope, no silencer, no bayonet

About 1 entire suit of t51. Not terribly awful, probably still triple the budget it could be with even a tiny amount of optimization but, guns this large (and larger, like most are) are going to start becoming a bit of nuisance now that weapon display racks are effectively baseline.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 23, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he launches the game through steam

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I see they ripped the model directly from fallout 2

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dongicus posted:

huh? kinda nuts that it's still in beta. isnt it the same engine as skyrim?

Thanks, by the way.

The modern Elder Scrolls/Fallout games are all playing off the same base engine but they're different enough to set them apart from each other. The jump from Skyrim to Fallout 4 is likely the biggest difference so far, actually.

It's juuuuuust different enough from Skyrim to make some aspects of modding, like model importing, a gigantic loving pain in the rear end

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

same

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Syndlig posted:

This mod looks neat, but I can't imagine myself ever actually using it. It looks way too generic and 'boxy', which is I guess a weird complaint since house parts snap to a box grid. I just prefer the Mad Max-style cobbled together sheet metal and wood huts the game defaults to you building, since they have a lot more character to them, and mostly I only use Snap 'n Build for things like greenhouses and my "private residence".

this is how I feel too. Everything in that mod just looks too clean and perfectly made. I know there's something to be said about civilization being around to the point where you shouldn't have to live in garbage but if everything's going to look like garbage with or without my input I'd at least like everything to be consistant

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Roadie posted:

I think I found the best mod. It's got cookies, giant super mutants, confetti bursts instead of blood sprays, floating damage numbers, exploding brahmin, a turret defense minigame, and goofy anime swords, among other things.

god I was hoping tiny tina died with BL2 and gearbox's reputation

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

p sure that's their plan, yeah

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he literally just removed the textures and plopped down some lovely basic textures in their place lol

e: I just realized the entire texture is beveled for some reason????

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's also the pedophile one with the lizards

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

khy posted:

That seems a bit odd to me. If someone else has a mod that you want assets from, it's super easy to just send them a message saying "Hey, I saw XXXXX in your mod and it was really great, do you mind if I use it in this mod I'm developing? I'll be sure to credit you as the original creator" and 9 times out of 10 they're fine with it.

Unless the guy who made it was trying to pass off the entire thing as 100% his own work but considering how much effort and time must have gone into making the mod, credit for reusing assets here and there would be a fairly minor thing.

Hopefully someone else takes up the challenge to turn the game into a wilderness that's kept up-to-date. And in the meantime, I'll just continue along with that original mod for as long as I don't run into game-breaking issues.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Resurrection is still being maintained by its developer on a Russian website. The latest version is 1.5, which may be the last he releases since he was working on that version before it was deleted from Nexus.

http://modgames.net/load/fallout_4/globalnye/resurrection/425-1-0-21385

The guy who made Resurrection was using a new account because he had already been banned previously for stealing mod assets on two separate occasions lol

he's a huge butt, please don't support him

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sicne modders don't get paid the only points and numbers they can really accrue is pageviews/downloads so I would consider telling people to download their stuff and give them motivation to steal more as supporting them

at the end of the day though it's just mods, so it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things just know the dude is a jerk lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, somebody made a Tek 9 with the files size passing the 100 Megabyte mark.

final unzipped sized is 538 mb lmao almost half a gig for a single loving weapon

74k polys (~7 suits of power armor) with the smallest loadout (reciever, rear/front sights, small magazine, snub barrel)

182k polys (almost 18 suits of power armor on your screen at all times!) with the most ridiculous loadout because ya'll dudes don't have self control and tacticool the poo poo out of everything (receiver, rear/front glow sights, barrel mag, long barrel, sight rail, suppressor, sniper scope)

e: to put that in perspective, Geralt in any of his armors, with any facial hair and any hairstyle at any point in Witcher 3 uses less polygons than the smallest loadout of this weapon lmao

e2: also I forgot to post this:

2.8k polys for just the default rear sight. not even both sights!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

8 Ball posted:

How is this even possible? (I am not a modder and/or insane)

Dunno-Lars touched upon it but basically the process for creating modern, high-definition models goes like: create big dumb super nice high-end polygon reference model, create another low-end, optimized model that's as complicated as you can get it while still fitting under a strict budget (that's created so that your engine doesn't poo poo itself when too much is loaded in at once; this is important because Fallout 4's engine isn't great), bake maps (normal, AO, specular, etc.) from the high-res model to the low-res model to help you fake all the detail present on the high-polygon piece, and then you do whatever else you need to do like textures, loading it into middle-man programs like NIFskope to get it in a game-ready state, etc. etc.

these dudes are only really doing the first and last parts. These are good models these guys are using, excellent models even, but they're not doing what's arguably the most important step for creating models for video games rather than display pieces or movies: the optimization. Ironically enough it really makes them look kind of amateurish. A real professional, hell just someone who knows their way around the process really, could be real clever about their normal maps and geometry and give you a gun that looks exactly the same but uses literally 10 times less polygons, even more. All but a couple of the Black Ops 3 guns clock in under 10k (when they're not using the ~20-30k versions that are specifically only used as the display pieces inside of isolated menus, not out in the world loaded in with everything else)

Basically these guys are great artists (or are sourcing from great artists) but poo poo at the part where they're making things for video games and not for their portfolios.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

war never changes....

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 1, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

are there any mods that fix the DLC elevators? when you reload your game/your area, the buttons load in floating way above the actual elevator, making them unusable. Also, the four-floor elevator rotates for some reason. I know there's a fix where you just store it and build it again but that's a giant pain in the rear end to have to do constantly, forever

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0qhl9lPeo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Ever felt bad for the Railroad and wanted to spare them from doom in the storyline while working for the Institute?

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

nah