Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
What are some good vanilla survival enhancement mods? I'm not looking for anything that radically alters the game, just stuff that would fit in with the standard survival mode. Right now all I'm using are some basic visual enhancers (shell rain, enhanced blood, pipboy light shadows), and a couple "nice to have" things like survival quick save enabler (mainly because gently caress losing an hour thanks to a crash. I'm fine with it being "hardcore" but even though FO4 is pretty stable I still don't trust it 100%). I also don't really care about stuff like ENB shaders and such because I think the game looks pretty enough already and I like being able to run at a decent framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only real oddity with the ad-libs is that the lip sync is based on the text as written so they say the extra bits with their mouth closed.

It seems like the solution would be to just update the subtitles rather than crib the lines but what do I know.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Falken posted:

I think what I would have liked is if the power armor and minigun at Concord were a "taste" of things to come later in the game. Once the deathclaw is killed, the minigun breaks beyond repair, and the power armors fusion core has a malfunction, fusing itself into the connection port and basically rendering that frame useless.

Make the minigun more powerful but later on in the levelled list, and there we go. Makes no loving sense that a minigun is a crappy weapon.

The problem with the minigun is that the damage per hit is really low, so even a small amount of armour massively reduces the damage done. Add to that the fact that the accuracy goes to poo poo after firing for about half a second and you've got something that looks good on paper but is terrible in practice.

In New Vegas they just made it so that 5mm ammo had a decent amount of armour piercing on it, so it would actually be effective against low/mid DT enemies. The damage/protection formula is weird in Fallout 4 though and I'm not sure adding AP to miniguns would really solve the fundamental issue.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

sw0cb posted:

FO4edit loads and exits immediately when I try this. Anyone have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Google is not being helpful.

I can't really solve your problem since I don't know a lot about MO but I do know that it uses a weird folder structure to store more rather than putting them all in Data like NMM or manual installs. So that's probably why FO4Edit can't find them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Not well. It rebalanced all the weapons to match its new environment so any standalones are going to stick out like sore thumbs.

Do the modders have any sort of consistent algorithm for how they've decided to set the new damage values? Modding stats on a weapon is pretty trivial to do with FO4edit so you could probably roll your own compatibility patch if you knew what damage values would be consistent with Horizon's rebalancing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is he working on importing the assets from New Vegas into the FO4 engine or straight up rebuilding the world using the assets from FO4? Either one seems like it'd be a crazy amount of work but the latter is basically remaking the game the same way the New Vegas designers did.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Pretty close, probably, but what I'm describing is more or less the system that Call of Chernobyl uses to determine what's going on in terms of off map combat and faction control.

It uses a system of squads, which are an abstraction of a group of NPCs, and smart terrains, which are areas where NPCs can sandbox, but also areas that can be captured by factions. When two squads meet at a smart terrain the game takes the strength of both groups, and then generates a number to decide which squad wins and how many in it die.

As far as I understand, everything that happens in offline CoP territory control and combat is already present in Fallout 4. They just didn't think to or couldn't get the pieces to work together.

I remember thinking it would be neat in FO4 if factions could actually take over territory so rather than the same old raiders just respawning after you clear a place out, you might have super mutants or ghouls, move in or maybe even friendlies like the BoS or Minutemen. Or it might change hands based on factions that control adjacent areas making a move to grab territory - maybe you could even stumble on a battle in progress and steer the outcome (or just watch them shoot it out then take out the survivors). Hell maybe you could even have settlers from your own territory take over locations - you wouldn't be able to build in them but they'd act as a buffer against invaders, who would have to take over the surrounding territory before making a move on one of your settlements.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Falken posted:

Oh wow, that was not what I was expecting.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFFmHLL2nGg

Apparently you have to do some poo poo to game files for this to work or something. Looks awesome though.

I'm kind of disappointed it doesn't include the old magazine flick style reload, which I just tried to find a YouTube video for to link as a demonstration but all the ones I found were ultra serious backyard tacticool guys that made me cringe so I'll just assume you know what I mean.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Does anybody know if the Industrial junk yard from Sim Settlements is literally just the scavenger station from vanilla? I'm wondering if maybe it could be different and thus gotten around the design flaw of scavving doing absolutely nothing for you if you have something like 200 units of any junk material in storage

There's another mod that removes that limit (as well as the limits on produced food and water) so they probably just took the same approach.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any mods like the old goon made armoury for New Vegas? Like ones that are big compilations of real-world weapon mods that also balances them so you get consistent levels of damage from similar weapons rather than being all over the map because each individual mod author had their own idea of what weapon balance is?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

At least with this new modding scheme, the dudes who create some cool new idea they'll eventually adopt will get money. Obsidian did the same with New Vegas too, they paid attention to what was hot with the Fallout 3 mods as well.

Yeah, and then Bethesda just went and threw all that out for FO4 :sigh:

I mean yeah they took a bunch of ideas from popular mods but for some reason they ditched a bunch of the cool stuff from New Vegas itself. I liked different ammo types and DT.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

It was indeed designed as a power armor weapon.

If I ever made a balance mod for this game one of the things that I would like to do is add move speed penalties for weapons and mods based on their weight, so unless your character has pretty good endurance using a huge gun like the vanilla assault rifle would slow you down.

One thing I really wish you could do it store weapons/ammo in power armour itself. So if you were carting around a minigun/fat boy, you could just leave it locked in the armour's hands when you got out, allowing you to stay lightweight on foot while still making use of the big guns.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The obvious extension to that is integrated power armour weaponry, making the fat man part of the armour.

Yeah power armour in FO4 is really more like a small mech suit than just a really good piece of equipment, so it would make sense to just go all the way with that.

Although I don't know if I'd really want it to go as far as making certain weapons ONLY equippable via power armour. I mean the old fallout games classified strength in the upper range as basically superhuman, so it stands to reason that they'd still be able to use things that a normal person needs power armour to handle.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Double Agent posted:

It doesn't leave them in the hands, but this might be what you're looking for:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20944/

Ooh, that's nice, thanks. I mean it's a shame it doesn't have the visual of the gun actually being held by the empty power armour but I can live with that.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

Something at least kind of like this exists with the checkpoint system, where certain spots are set to spawn NPCs belonging to whichever factions. Expanding on that system would be really interesting.

Yeah there's this one spot I noticed and I'm sure most other people have as well because it's right along the main path from Sanctuary into Diamond City, where for some reason it's this tiny little cafe or something that CONSTANTLY respawns with different factions every time. I've seen generic raiders there, I've seen Minutemen defending against a Children of Atom attack, Rust Devils fighting Mechanist robots, etc. It made me think that some kind of dynamic map-wide faction conquest thing would be cool, but the scripting needed to make it all work would probably be a crazy amount of effort.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

The edited lists are stored in your save.
Most likely scenario is that the game will crash when it tries to access the removed weapon.

Actually I think the engine handles missing references without crashing - generally if an object is referenced for a mod that is no longer installed the game just ignores it.

Although I'm not sure how this would interact with leveled lists - what you may find happening is enemies or containers might be spawning with nothing in their inventory, because the list picked an item to spawn that was removed.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

Okay goons, I am going to be playing Fallout 4 for the first time.
I want a mostly vanilla experience. I will be using The Unofficial Patch and Achievements enabler of F4SE for sure.
Anything else that won't change the core gameplay?
I do consider a mod that changes what dialog looks like as a mod that changes the core gameplay. I don't want to know what my character is going to outright say.

Honestly FO4 works pretty well out of the box such that any mods you get probably ARE going to be changes to core gameplay - all the old standbys from 3/NV like sprinting, grenade hotkeys, etc. are built into the main game now. Even UI mods aren't really necessary for a vanilla game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It's probable that you would need to update IR also, because you updated the main mod and some of its plots are now in the base mod.

Unrelated but Enhanced Lights and FX is really nice looking:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13596

Dang that's pretty - how does it get along with things like NAC? I feel like they should be compatible because this one seems like it only affects interior cells while NAC is exterior, but I'm never sure how mods that play with lighting will interact.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TaintedBalance posted:

The Rise of the Commonwealth appears to be working fine for me with the compatibility patch. Fair warning, if you start the city plan in Sanctuary for Sim Settlement, it will nuke all of the workstations, including the Power Armor rack (my power armor itself was fine), but this can be kind of annoying to deal with.

It will actually do this in every settlement, but only when you first activate the automatic city building for that settlement. So to be safe, if you plan on using it for a settlement, don't build anything there, or if there's stuff already there you'd like to keep, drop it into storage first. After it sets up the initial base layout, you can build anything freely without worrying about it being scrapped.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So are there any real world/modern weapon mods out there that A) Seed themselves into levelled lists (so they'll be used by people other than me) and B) are balanced with/for Horizon? Collections with multiple weapons in them would be extra nice but I don't mind individual installs so long as all I don't have to do anything special to set them up and get them to play nice with each other.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Has anyone playing with horizon done the quest where you hold up that drug deal with the barman from diamond city? The mayor's son dropped 1200 caps and the crates had a poo poo ton of drugs. It seemed a little odd and I'm wondering if I've broken something.

I also came across a few bullet sponges, but I'm not sure if that's just that they were high level. I'm level 12 and one was a sergeant gutsy that was just ignoring point blank .45s from a suped-up pipe revolver.

Conversely the leader of the Forged went down in three point blank headshots from the same .45 revolver.

There's a lot more emphasis on weak point hits in Horizon, so with something like the Gutsy it may be that it just has massive damage resistance on most of its body but will drop in a few shots with a hit on the right location (Where actually is the weak point on a Gutsy/Handy? The thruster?)

With the quest, I'd imagine that those items aren't spawned from levelled lists but are instead set manually, so Horizon's changes wouldn't have affected them unless they specifically went in and changed those exact containers/NPCs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

Also, regarding Survival. When I last played over a year ago, I loved the difficulty of the Survival mode but I hated how it only saved when I slept. Too often I'd run into a bug, or a crash, or other issues and I'd lose a ton of progress. I recall a mod that would autosave when entering/exiting a building AND at timed intervals while playing Survival, but I can't recall what it was named. Anyone know which one I may be thinking of?

Lastly, I remember having huge problems trying to build a fence around one of my settlements, did they ever make things like that snap together or is there a specific mod I should use for that? Do the various DLCs offer wider selection of fencing options because as I recall there weren't many choices when I last played and most looked like rear end.

You're probably thinking of Survival Options. It allows you to tweak a bunch of survival difficulty related options, including enabling autosave on load screens and incremental autosaves. If you're using MCM it will add a menu to that, if not you can get a holotape from a chem crafting station with the same options available.

Fences will snap together - I think they always did? Although it depends on the type of fence - they only snap on posts, so a fence like this =|= won't snap on the ends unless the fence piece you're trying to attach has a post on one of ITS ends. The vanilla options are still pretty limited but there are a ton of mods that add new snappable pieces - just search the Nexus for the word "snap".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Terrorforge posted:

I don't have an easy fix for ammo issues, but the death respawn can be disabled (there's a holotape) and you're under absolutely no obligation to interact with the settler stuff. Just go wild with Sims.

There's an option when installing Horizon that raises the ammo drop rate as well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

If you think you've found it, no need to mess with INIs, but since Sim Settlements is so scripting intensive it recommends some INI changes. They've helped with my own issues.

I haven't had crashes due to script activity but I do get occasional hitching which I'm pretty sure is script related - would those changes help with that or are they just allowing the game to not die from script overload?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a specific separate patch for the most recent version of Sim Settlements you have to get from the Horizon page - the one that comes with the main mod download is for an older version.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So the group that's working on remaking New Vegas in Fallout 4 has a website up, which has some interesting info. Most notably they seem to really have their poo poo together, which is impressive for this kind of project.

On a related note, apparently there's a similar effort to remake 3, and they've got a good-looking trailer up:

https://twitter.com/RoadToLibertyFO/status/952754126269636608

Are they actually rebuilding the whole thing by hand, or are they converting New Vegas assets to work in Fallout 4 somehow?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So yea, Pilgrim was rad at night, but it got pretty old pretty fast. In other news I have everything working in Horizon , except there's no settings holotape anywhere. I'm guessing Another Life is the cause, can anyone confirm?

It doesn't drop it in your inventory automatically for some reason - you have to pick it up from the Overseer's desk in Vault 111, which I imagine Another Life would conflict with in the sense that you may not actually be starting the game there anymore.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seashell Salesman posted:

Ian has also done a bunch of videos on craft weapons that are way cooler than the pipe weapons in Fo4.

Yeah there's some "I just made this poo poo in my garage" guns that are way more professional looking than the pipe rifles. If anything FO4 underestimates how easy it is for people to make guns.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

marshmallow creep posted:

The model for it in FO2 looked silly to me when I first saw it. Like it was was made of plastic and pipes.

I suppose all guns are plastic and pipes if you think about it, but this looks like a toy.

A lot of video game art for more obscure/difficult to get a hold of guns tends to come from airsoft replicas rather than the real thing, so it's entirely possible the graphic literally was based on a toy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So a little while ago someone mentioned they were putting together a guide to all the various features in Horizon. Is there a link to that? I've figured out the basics but there's a lot of stuff in there where I'm just not sure what it's for.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So War Never Changes includes that mod to make ragdolls interact, which seems like it would be cool, but hoooooooooly gently caress does it make Dogmeat annoying :argh: He is a Bad Dog and his pathing is the loving worst, I'd never noticed before.

Yeah I've been playing with a "solid ragdolls" mod and I have been considering disabling it for the same reason. It would be nice if there was some middle ground where ragdolls would interact with each other (so you'd get a pile of bodies rather than having them all just merge together) but not with active NPCs, but I imagine that's probably just not possible in the physics engine.

Dogmeat has always had lovely pathing though, as evidenced by that gif that I thought was in this thread and apparently isn't, where he wanders through a hallway of laser tripwires and sets them all off (thankfully companions can't trigger traps anymore). The problem is because he always tries to get out in front of you, if you turn around it means that his desired position has just shifted a bunch so he runs over as quickly as possible, and then you turn around again, and so on, so he just frantically darts around all over the place unless you're walking in a straight line.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regardless of their use (or not) as military weapons, shotguns are incredibly common as civilian weapons, so it makes perfect sense that they'd be all over the place in a post-apoc environment.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Clever Spambot posted:

I mean yeah, i just think there are alternatives that both make logical sense and would make for interesting exploration.

It's a really minor nitpick regardless, seeing still decently intact stores and whatnot just makes me think of how cool it would be if they made a fallout that took place like a month after the bombs dropped or something, but i think they consider that too unfallout which is the same reason we will never get one that takes place in another country.

The thing is they kind of seem to want to have it both ways. The original Fallout games took place long after the bombs fell and were about the new societies building on the old one. This was also where Obsidian went with New Vegas. Bethesda meanwhile want to make games where you're scavenging for supplies from ruined grocery stores and the closet thing you have to new societies are shanty towns built with scrap. It would make a lot more sense to set that kind of game a few years after the bombs fell - the only reason to set it so far in the future is if you want to explore the way new civilizations are developing, which they don't actually seem to want to do. So why insist that it has to be that way?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I may be misremembering my Fallout lore but isn't Jet basically just Jenkem? I mean Jenkem itself is a hoax but the idea already exists in real life, so the fact that someone might have independently come up with the idea of sniffing poop gas in the Fallout universe before Myron isn't the craziest thing in the world. Although the fact that everyone calls it the same thing is a little weird.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's a dumb thing to get hung up about. To avoid if they really should limited Jet from showing up in safes along with pipe weapons. MY IMMERSION is silly but little things like this of make me doubt all the promo PR spiel about these guys being huge fans of the franchise. Just be honest and say you really liked Fallout 3.

Also, the Creation Club hilariously is so ignored I only just found out they added more stuff the other day.

Actually, pre-war pipe weapons I can sort of buy being a thing - if the country was under martial law, they probably would have suspended the 2nd amendment. People then might have started crudely putting together their own homemade weapons in response.

I mean ultimately it's just one of those "we did this for gameplay reasons" things. Not a lot of how the world works really makes any sense in Fallout 4.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

does horizon play nice with things like raider overhaul, AWKC and armor and weapon mods in general or is it the kind of thing you install by itself?

Armor and weapon mods depend a lot on the specific mod - armor values I don't think change too much in Horizon so as long as the mod sticks to roughly vanilla numbers it should still work out okay. Weapon mods probably won't fit in well, though, since most weapon damage has been rebalanced to work on the principle of "damage per shot" and generally based on caliber, as opposed to DPS.

Raider overhaul I would not think would play nice with Horizon, although Horizon itself does kind of do a lot of the same things (although not to the same level of detail) - it introduces new classes of raiders with unique loadouts.

In general Horizon should probably be viewed as a "mostly standalone" mod. There are specific mods that it has compatibility patches for, but otherwise you should generally assume that it's not compatible unless it's a really small/minor change (like say, changing the pipboy light to a cone/flashlight) or is in an area that Horizon doesn't touch (like NAC or other weather/climate mods).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Post poste posted:

Okay, trying to care about settlers in Horizon, how the hecks do I get to give them the outfits and gear that the Nexus page talks about?

Interact with them while sneaking.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Skeleton King posted:

As much as I want to like horizon, I'm getting tired of the absurd variety or hard to find materials I need for literally everything. How am I supposed to get enough day tripper and other poo poo to make combat stimpaks in any useful quantities? Where the hell do I get Steel Alloy S1/S2 or Aluminum alloy S1/S2? How do I get a cargo bot? Where do all these super specific materials come from? I need them and I am tired of looking for them.

Also why does a mole rat bite poison you for half an hour? It's annoying, and antidotes use materials I can't find and might be perk locked, I need to check that again.

I just want to have challenging combat that isn't all bullet sponges or paper enemies, I don't care for huge amounts of complexity. It feels very tedious to me. I can handle all this new stuff but I have no idea how to streamline things so I can stop carrying mountains of trash that aren't even what I need.

Overall, once I figure it all out, I feel I will like horizon overall.

For the alloy stuff you will be rolling in it with the fortune finder perk. Legendary enemies will also often drop special junk items that have alloy materials in them. You don't need Day Tripper specifically to make pharmaceuticals, there are like 6 different recipes that require different stuff (some of which require perks but most don't).

With stuff like Cargo Bots and Turret Parts and other weird stuff, you need to build a Tech Lab - it's a new crafting station Horizon adds and has recipes for all sorts of weird miscellaneous utility stuff. If you see a requirement that you can't find anywhere in the world, it's probably crafted there.

Poison was changed to last longer but deal less damage per second, so the overall damage dealt is the same but it takes longer to wear off naturally (and yeah it is annoying but you don't get poisoned THAT often - just save your antidotes until you clear out all the mole rats/whatever, because the damage won't add up to a lot).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Doesn't the mod warn you about removing plots and items that are part of the city plan? I don't want to poke at whatever voodoo is keeping that all together, it's unstable enough as it is.

You can remove anything you want, but it may break AI pathing or you may end up with weird overlapping elements since the city plan doesn't care about conflicting objects when it places things.

Once you hit city level 3 though, the plan is done and won't add any more stuff, so you can remodel more freely at that stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It seems to be a little bit unclear what actually causes the cities to upgrade. According to the documentation/video, it has a hard requirement of 100% scrap collected (which is fairly easy to meet), and then it also depends on happiness, with higher level upgrades requiring higher happiness (I think the level 0 -> 1 upgrade still requires a 70% minimum - I'm not sure the exact line), and apparently it also depends on the upgrade levels of the plots themselves. Even with all the requirements met, there's a random, relatively long delay in game time between upgrades (the video says that the 0 -> 1 upgrade can take around 10 game days, and higher level ones are longer), so you can end up sitting quite a while on a settlement level even with 100% scrap and happiness and all the plots at level 3.