Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I'm removing Homemaker from my next run mostly because I'm sick of all the DLC items ending up at the end of each list of items in settlement building mode. Is there a more recent settlement item mod that doesn't duplicate things from the DLCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Davoren posted:

Use Settlement Keywords Expanded, moves the Homemaker stuff into its own categories.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12226/

It's supposed to, but I've never actually gotten it to work. If I disable Homemaker, I see the SKE menu, but if I enable both, the Homemaker items get placed in the vanilla menus.

EDIT: Oh! Nevermind. Played with my load order a bit and got it working as expected. Thanks!

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 1, 2016

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Jarf posted:

Immersive Fast Travel: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10157/

You can build cars that you have to craft fuel for or you can just build a teleporter. Great for survival.

If you don't want the overpowering feel of a personal teleporter or vertibird, I can suggest Lone Wanderer Fast Travel. Just a motorcycle that needs fuel, has a few upgrades (like better suspension for allowing you to ride in power armor), and a saddlebag for carrying stuff. Also will apparently need occasional maintenance, though I haven't gotten that far yet.

Mod request question: Is there anything that enables break-in attempts in settlements? Not huge bands of raiders, but occasional drive-by scavvers and that sort of thing that can happen in real time? Or should I just find a mod that increases the amount of spawn locations and hope someone wanders by?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Diving into FROST now. Are there lantern/backpack/other survival-style mods I should add on to it?

I almost want to add Give Me That Bottle but I feel like it might gently caress up the balance.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 8, 2016

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Finally somebody is doing an interiors mod and decided that Lexington should have a few more explorable places now instead of being 'the place I avoid because the Preston glitch put me off Preston for life.

Get Lexinton Interiors and enjoy.

Some guy has thrown together some pseduo casual New Vegas style western gear as well.

Can you recommend any other mods which add more interiors?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Kumaton posted:

So, question for anyone here who's tried FROST: Is it like DUST from NV in that you have to start all over if you die, or does it just plop you back at a previous save?

It uses Survival difficulty, so the mechanics are the same: if you die, you are restored to the last time you slept in a bed, mattress, or sleeping bag.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

FROST is so drat good. The new sewer content leaves a lot to be desired, and it sucks I have to find an interior cell somewhere to survive radstorms even if I'm in a settlement, but the difficulty level is great and I've had more than a few moments of sheer terror where the difference between life and having to restart from my last sleeping location was a handful of bullets, a sliver of AP, or a morsel of mole rat meat.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Same here. Just deleted them all to see if they come back.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Smol posted:

If I were to do a small personal mod that nerfed the vision part of the stealth perks a bit (I have 3 points in stealth and it's getting pretty ridiculous how blind the enemies are now), what variable would I have to edit?

One aspect of the Darker Nights mod modifies enemy stealth detection; you may want to take a look at that for how the author does it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Appoda posted:

So I turned on Survival mode. Tweaked a few things, and I think I got it about where I can stand it, but it's getting a little old to go back into the menu every time I need to drink some water or gnaw on some monster meat.

Is there a mod like Skyrim's iNeed that automatically consumes food for you? I know that a lot of them have slightly different effects, but I don't think I care that much -- I just want enough of the survival BS for food/drink in the world to be meaningful without the extra level of inventory management. Failing that, I suppose I'll find a mod that adds more hotkeys or something like that.

This will probably be the hotkey mod you want: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11664/

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

lilspooky posted:

So is it safer to go with the Nexus Mod Manager instead of the Mod Organizer? Historically I've always used the Mod Organizer but I've seen some videos of people talking about mods and saying that since it's still in beta it's pretty buggy / possibly breaks your game.

Mod Organizer 2 has been a dreamlike experience for me. I haven't had a single issue with it, even when my mod count gets to ~150, even if I have FROST in one profile and vanilla mods in others. The per-profile saved games thing is a little broken and requires manually moving saves around, but it does it reliably and without any data loss that I can see.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Fallout 4 is the most stable Bethesda engine I've ever played on. I have about 100 mods (or TCs like Frost) and I don't think I've ever encountered a crash. It's a nice change of pace.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Vault 111's people can sometimes be thawed and walking around but only scream when you talk to them (or not say anything at all).

:stare: That sounds like some creepypasta poo poo.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Holy poo poo, Horizon looks amazing. I'm not sure why I haven't heard of it before, considering I already put about 20 hours into FROST, every minute of which was heart-pounding.

Guess I'm rolling another character after this Survival BoS run :sigh:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

MO is seriously the best iteration of a modding tool I've seen since Morrowind. I've loaded up Skyrim and Fallout with over 200 mods each and I've had, maybe half a dozen crashes in hundreds of Skyrim hours, and zero crashes in Fallout.

Only problem with MO2 is that the local savegames functionality is broken. Other than that it's been an absolute joy.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Zore posted:

So I've been playing the Horizon mod posted here a few pages back and Im really torn on if I like it or not.

Certainly I like a lot of it. Toning down the frequency of needs popups is great, I like that player/enemy HP doesn't scale out of control and it feels fundamentally fair.

However, I feel like healing items and bullets are just too scarce. You have to rely on melee to an absolutly absurd degree and the out of combat healing items are insanely scarce. I've found 3 total in about 8 hours and I've never seen any merchant carry them. And crafting them loving gobbles up cloth/adhesive to the degree you can't really do any weapon/armor modding. It is incredibly tedious and makes any 'big' encounter cost way more in resources than you can get in loot and tacks on some travel time to head to a doctor because healing limbs is also super rough.

It just feels more tedious than anything.

Crap, that sucks. I just started a Horizon playthrough. Oh well.

HoboTech posted:

Horizen seems good but what are people's opinions on FROST? I'm sure this topic has already been covered, just looking for a brief opinion.

I'm waiting for the "Ultimate Survival Overhaul" where your character is constantly dying of a terminal disease and you start the game with a sniper rifle trained on your head because it's HARDCORE, MAN.

FROST is terrifying and amazing. It is intensely hardcore; I think I maybe had four bullets in the first two hours of playing. It is punishingly difficult. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed the everliving hell out of it. It is a little glitchy in places, and aboveground is almost impossible, but you can easily get a good 10-12 hours of entertainment out of it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

FROST does a couple things better than Horizon (AI survival playstyle) and I'll be looking into integrating some of those things into Horizon myself later down the line.

Overall I just can't recommend it yet since it's so early in development. Maybe this time next year I'll play it but until then, I'll put up with Bethesda's lovely story to get an ideal survival experience, but when it is ready, it'll blow everything else out of the water.

Are you one of the people responsible for Horizon? Are fruits/vegetables not meant to be taken off their plants at all?

EDIT: Ah yeah, I see the note about crops on the nexus page. Sucks for crops that aren't in settlements but I can understand the rationale.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 27, 2016

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

So I've gotten to level 5 in Horizon. Some thoughts:

- Combat is fantastic so far. Pipe pistols are reliable daily carries against raiders, molerats, and the like, and firefights feel much more tense, with agonizing moments of "will I survive this or not?".
- The settlement additions are a little arcane, but I'm really starting to see the experience it's trying to create. Settlement building feels thoughtful and requires a lot more patience and work to make things viable.
- The loot overhaul can feel disappointing at times, but it makes finding valuable things (and useful junk) even more exciting.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Horizon: I worked so hard to get to this point and now it won't let me progress :-(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

AgentHaiTo posted:

Scroll down, you probably are missing one of the vegetables. It doesn't show the scroll bar in DEFUI for some reason. I thought this was a bug too, until I realized I needed corn, and hadn't found any yet.

That was it! Thanks.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Extremely good Horizon thing: taking over Jamaica Plain with a dozen odd bullets, three bottlecap mines, and the police protectrons; having to wander over to the power armor, with no fusion cores, just to clunk slowly around the military checkpoint and grab all the ammo there, Mr Gutsy plinking at my armor the whole time.

Extremely bad Horizon thing: items going missing, like food in my inventory using the caravan fast travel system, and a goddamned filter I had built going missing in between the robotics workshop and the general store at my settlement.

Also bad Horizon thing: Finally getting to build a medium water purifier that's meant to generate 10 purified water, and only getting one per day while my liquid fuel starts getting consumed.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 1, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

The purifier generates 10 water units, not 10 bottles. The conversion rate is 10 units/bottle.

Yeah, realized that after going through the documentation again. But that makes liquid fuel even more precious, and I've only found 7 units after 18 hours in this playthrough. I kind of hoped the agony of getting a purifier set up would frontload some of the pain of getting purified water, but now it's a race to find enough fuel to keep just one purifier going, for one purifier water a day.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I honestly don't mind settlement building; I've had a ton of fun putting things together (ignoring the lifeless settlers, terrible pathfinding, lovely raid chance calculation, almost zero chance to have raids occur when you're in your settlement, stock prices for everything despite you building the stores and hiring the workers, frustratingly small build areas, finicky item placement, inability to hide from radstorms no matter how fortified your buildings, and about a dozen other things).

I just want to make sure no more items go missing randomly, like that filter.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Terrorforge posted:

You sure it's just not in a weird place? iirc the filters show up under "Misc" rather than "Junk", which makes sense but threw me off to start with.

Alternatively, I also had a bug where some of my components got "stuck" in a Chemistry Workbench. I could craft with them at that specific workbench, but they didn't show up in the settlement workbench inventory and I couldn't use them anywhere else. After a lot of trial and error I found that scrapping something in the settlement (in this case specifically a kickball, but it probably works with any item and possibly settlement objects) made them reappear.

Positive. I had one filter, checked to see the requirements for the purifier, saw it was four, got out of workshop mode and over to the general store in my settlement, bought the ingredients I needed for two more, built two, went into workshop mode and it said I only had two filters. Didn't go into any workshop inventory, didn't sell it off. Something definitely went screwy there and it wasn't the first time, just the first time it happened with such a maddeningly important item.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've been eyeballing Horizons but it feels like I should probably wait for a 1.0 release. Is that a fair assessment? Is it the most complete "hard-mode" type overhaul there is right now?

I recommend Horizons in its current state. It's a ton of fun. It's not overly hardcore as things go, but there feels like a real and valid progression. I'd throw some hours at the settlement system, if only to see what kind of edge you can get in survival if you go down that route.

99% of junk has a completely different value versus what you think to look out for instinctively. Tag things for search judiciously, otherwise you're going to forget what thing of value you're looking for.

Ammo feels properly scarce, food (and ingredients) feel properly priced. I enjoy this game much more when I only have 14 bobby pins instead of 99+, that I actually have to buy food if my day's scavenging isn't productive enough, and that I can feel accomplished and proud putting up my fourth water purifier.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Also it's worth getting some settlements set up so that you can use the ad hoc fast travel system, caravan supply routes. Two or three of those placed strategically around the Commonwealth will speed things up considerably over vanilla Survival.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Horizon is so good. It seriously revitalized so much of the game for me.

Every possible combat encounter has real weight to engaging or not. I'm level 12 and still relying mainly on a pipe pistol because it's maxed out for close combat and ammo is pretty plentiful. I want to upgrade to a better class of weapon but I keep selling the ammo I don't use to make ends meet. Legendary drops still suck, and the contents of loot chests can be disappointing, but a lot of dungeons with static pre-populated loot can be godsends (like the locked room in the Mass Pike Tunnel with a box of vodka and cigarette cartons).

If you start building settlements, meeting their needs matters, and supplies are so scarce it really reworked how I build settlements, into this sparse, minimally functional approach. I find myself clearing the commonwealth in ever increasing circles from my primary settlements, which are chosen to maximize the value of caravan fast travel. Also remember to trade with all of your dudes for their surplus ammo. Some of them even come with stimpacks.

Mr. Crow posted:

Specifically I guess, sleeping bags and mattresses don't take you up to rested, I can sleep for 15 hours (3 5 hour naps) and I'm still tired. Sleeping in a bed it goes away.

Mostly I'm just confirming that's intended I assume? Couldn't find anything in the docs.

If I understand what you're asking, vanilla Survival works the same way: you can't get restful sleep on a mattress (max 5 hours) or a sleeping bag (max 3 hours), even if you chain sleeping periods.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 17, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

I want a mod where, if you have the Cannibal perk, instead of the goofy zombie-gorging animation, it just makes human bodies drop "iguana bits" (with quotes) that you can use to make "iguana" on a stick or "iguana" soup.

Haha, that would rule. I assume this is the callback?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Has anyone playing Horizon managed to transition off of pipe rifles to an alternative with enough easily findable ammo? I'm still relying on raiders, gunners, and ghouls for my offensive activity; can't regularly take on anything that might drop different ammo.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I use a mix of the 45 caliber m1911 from a mod, a 5.56 assault rifle, a hardened long barrel shotgun and a 308 sniper rifle. Not a ton of ammo for everything, but enough to get me through most engagements as a variety of distances and situations.

Awesome. I think I could make something like that work.

Terrorforge posted:

I keep a stash of all my ammo in one settlement and transition between weapons depending on what I currently have a decent stock of.

Is there enough value in saving ammo for different enemies? Is there any real difference in effectiveness fighting, say, super mutants with ballistic ammo versus energy cells?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Is there a mod that expands settlement size as safely and surgically as possible? The anemic size of Jamaica Plain is killing me, but it looks like mods that alter settlements tend to have several issues:

1. A bug where power armor which has been customized is reset to its original configuration upon leaving a cell and coming back after X amount of time*
2. A bug where the contents of settlement cells will be completely reset, i.e. removing all of the player's constructed items**
3. Settlement boundaries being no longer visible
4. An inflated size due to having to modify some value on every scrappable item which is in the expanded settlement construction area***

There seem to be mods related to 1 and 2 (Buildable Power Armor Frames and Cell Reset Workaround Patch). I don't have either of them installed, and I may just add them now so that I don't have to worry about things like this in the future, but this seems like an insane amount of trouble to go through just to have a slightly larger build area.

* which seems to then launch into a discussion of how to distinguish between "safe" and "unsafe" power armor, as well as mods to fix that
** it's unclear to me if 1 and 2 are both what's called the cell reset bug or if that term just applies to one or the other
*** which I'm not even sure if that will work with mods that change the "end products" list of scrappable objects (e.g. Horizon modifies cars to return a whole bunch of rubber, steel, packing material, and etc. versus the vanilla, which iirc only gives you 10-20 steel)

EDIT: Additionally, the bUseCombinedObjects setting under [General] in fallout4.init seems relevant too, but it's not clear to me what it does or what the implications of toggling it are. It seems the default is 1, and 0 is what people recommend setting it to to scrap objects within expanded settlement borders, but it also seems to cause a non-trivial performance hit.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 22, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

I thought the cell reset bug had been fixed? I got a mod that fixed the roof on Taffington Boathouse and Somerville Place, and the power armor I left at the Boathouse seems fine.

Also, I just use the weapon store trick to increase settlement budget. It's annoying to repeat, but I don't have to worry about a mod screwing up my settlements.

(Drop a bunch of weapons on the floor, enter Workshop mode and store them. Game thinks you're removing furniture and your 'spent' settlement budget will decrease accordingly. Infinitely repeatable)

I'm not trying to increase the settlement budget. I'm trying to increase the size of the perimeter of the settlement.

The mod I finally settled upon is Bigger Settlements, alongside Hangman's Alley Interior Apartments, since Bigger Settlements doesn't change Hangman's Alley. It works well, although I did hit my first crash in hundreds of hours of playing. I suspect this is because I originally had the Hangman's Alley Patch to fix navmeshing and building issues, and I removed this in favor of Interior Apartments.

Some more notes after some testing:

- It's entirely possible for a mod to change the perimeter of the settlement without changing the actual green/red "border wall" that surrounds the buildable area. Bigger Settlements adds its own magenta wall around the new perimeters, which is really quite useful.
- I added Spring Cleaning and its compatibility patch. The patch ensures that the scrappable objects outside the vanilla build area includes items added by mods, not just the vanilla recipes list.
- Despite all this, there's still a ton of things that can't be scrapped in my settlement of choice, Jamaica Plain. The most disappointing part is the pews in the church, which I wanted to tear out and replace with a market. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel free to add this to the OP or whatever for other people so they don't have to go down the same rabbit hole.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I''ve considered trying out Tale of Two Wastelands, which lets you play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine, but I feel like I would level up too fast and burn out on the game before I finished everything in 3 and NV

I played TTW back when it first was announced, very early on, and it was a fantastic experience, and melded the two wastelands together very well, once you're willing to accept the conceit that there's a functional transportation system between the Capital Wasteland and the Mojave. It was stable, a ton of fun, and seemed well balanced. I can't remember what other mods I bolted onto it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Zore posted:

Its good if you're really into 'I never want to use weapons other than pipe pistols and melee' because ~realism~

I just found it a slog. Its punishing and you basically treadmill incremental rewards forever while using the same lovely guns because the most exciting safe you open has 4 whole .45 bullets in it. And you had to kill 20 raiders to get there. :effort:

It does do some good stuff with level scaling and rebalancing enemies I wish was standalone though.

As a counterpoint, read my latest posts in this thread. I think Horizon is fantastic for a ton of reasons.

EDIT: Something I think some people aren't realizing is that you have to completely rethink how you scavenge. All your muscle memory and visual cues for what was important scrap in the vanilla game has to be completely rethought. Pristine boxes of cigarettes and cigars are some of the most valuable items you can find. Alcohol is iffy because it's incredibly valuable but also very useful for antibiotics. You should be picking up all the food you can find, all the ingredients you can find, and get your scrap storage system set up as soon as possible so you can call cargo bots as you go.

Also, in vanilla Fallout, you can find one good gun and stick with it forever. You have to think about things differently in Horizon. You should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, sell ammo, and you should have a rotation of weapons for different situations. If you know you're off to kill humans, a pipe rifle/sniper rifle, a good melee weapon, and maybe a 10mm will do just fine. If you have to clear out super mutants, a more powerful sniper rifle, laser weapons, and a revolver would do the trick. If you need to take out robots, find a powerful shotgun, etc. You can't just lean on any one weapon to take you through the game, because it won't stand up against everything you encounter, and you're not going to have enough ammo to realistically combat everything. You're also going to have to do a whole lot of running and hiding.

It's better than vanilla in almost every way. The sense of satisfaction of just finally producing purified water at a settlement is more empowering than anything you do in the vanilla game.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Okay?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Sorry about the opinion I had

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

Christ, I wasn't taking umbrage with your opinion that I do not share, I know some people are into that kind of thing. Your instructions(?) to the guy who didn't like it just read like "You're wrong, you'd like it if you weren't playing it wrong," and that irked me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21871/ More on topic, a mod where the player too can be a suicider.

Your replies contributed nothing to the conversation. "Some people don't agree" is vacuously true.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 8, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Is the Fallout setting even really about scrounging for scarce resources though? I kinda feel like East Coast Fallout is about finally re-entering the most bombed out areas and hitting it big, and West Coast Fallout is about playing in a post-post-apoc. setting.

I'd be curious to see how the people complaining about scrounging for ammo would react to Fallout 2, where most builds won't fire a shot until level 6, and a single 9mm round costs 5 dollars.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

aniviron posted:

It's a bit weird to hear someone calling out Fallout 2's early game combat as good.

Every aspect of Fallout 2 is perfect.

Zore posted:

No, not really. It takes the scacity thing really seriously, I wasn't joking when I said I killed 20 raiders and the most exciting chest in the place had 4 .45 bullets, a bandage and some antibiotics.

Outside of 20 energy cells on the dead minuteman with the crank musket I don't think I found a single cell in the world or on a merchant.

Also ammo is expensive and most merchants have tiny stocks (like 3-12 bullets) that take days to refill.

Cells are easily enough found; they're in lots of traps, and if you find synths/BoS fighting other factions they'll drop a whole bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Paranoid Peanut posted:

does Horizon cut down on the number of stimpaks you find?

Horizon's documentation is really comprehensive compared to other mods. The long and short of it for stimpaks is:

- There are now several levels of first aid item: bandages, medicated bandages, combat stimpacks (which replace stimpaks), trauma kits, first aid kits, and others.
- All first aid items are craftable, but not all at level 1. Some will require perks. Cloth and alcohol are really important for this reason.
- Combat stimpaks can be used in combat. Most other health items cannot.
- Trauma kits repair broken limbs. Combat stimpaks also repair broken legs, just to ensure that if you don't have a trauma kit (which repairs broken limbs) that you don't have to crawl like a tortoise to the nearest doctor.
- You're not going to find any on leveled lists, but stimpaks placed in the game world, and on settlers who join your settlements, will remain.

The balancing act here is that you have a much, much larger health pool, but you're never going to spend a ton of time at full health: radiation and the rarity of stimpaks will make that very difficult until later levels.

EDIT: and, of course, not charging head first into each and every AO like a mad god

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2017