Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Does anyone have some survival mode-friendly recommendations? I've been having trouble picking things because some of those overhaul mods are pretty cool, but they're clearly meant for easier difficulties.

For survival mode, I particularly like Arbitration's 2.5X damage by player (default is 0.5) and 3X to player. Makes survival mode a lot more fair in my opinion given weight limits and limited ammo.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
So now that nuka world is out, the best era of modding is ahead of us. Now Bethesda can't steal ideas from mods and implement them as paid DLC and we know what's needed/not coming.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Any of you guys following the survival overhaul FROST? It's made by the FNV Dust guy and it looks great
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/m...review%3D&pUp=1

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo this sounds great and what I've been looking for from a FO4 mod.

There's also a really promising survival overhaul that keeps the original game around called Horizon. I can't recommend this enough. This is going to be the Project Nevada of F4 survival.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I started my survival play through, decided to be a cannibal and I got thinking... Since they do the whole "dark hunger" thing, implementing a mechanic where you become a Wendigo would be a pretty nice benefit. Maybe not in this game since they got rid of the karma system, but in the next one (hopefully by Obsidian)? It'd be pretty awesome.

Imagine becoming one of these things kind of like a lich/vampire/werewolf under certain conditions.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

My favorite extension of this conspiracy theory is that Zenimax was looking to acquire Obsidian and were gaming Metacritic in order to tank them enough that they could buy them out on the cheap.

Is it really fair to call it a conspiracy theory after the Human Head/Prey 2 poo poo that went down?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Well in that case I side with the conspiracy nuts. They pulled all sorts of milestone-related shenanigans with Human Head, claimed Prey 2 "was just a tech demo" (it wasn't) and wasn't anywhere near completion (it was), cancelled it and used the "didn't meet our quality standards" PR response. I can easily see them pulling the same poo poo with a company that hasn't caught a break dealing with publishers since their days at Black Isle.

There are examples of their scummy practices dating back to 2001. Even with the Arkane acquisition.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2?abthid=51af79d92aabedda5500000c
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-03-ex-human-head-developer-attacks-lie-that-prey-2-was-only-ever-just-a-demo
https://twitter.com/NathanCheever/status/528424067771011073

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 8, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just wanted to give you a heads up that Horizon (basically an expanded Project Nevada for Fallout 4) hit v0.99 today. If that's your sort of thing, I'd highly recommend it

Also FROST (successor to DUST:New Vegas) is coming along well but I wouldn't bother with that until it's anywhere near complete.

My load order (so far) for a really immersive no-bloat survival experience

(ShadowBoost+ENBoost+Optimized Textures)
Far Area Reform
Interiors Enhanced - Darker Ambient Light and Fog
Natural and Atmospheric Commonwealth (with PRC-mimic preset, does pretty much everything, I prefer it to True Storms but get True Storms+compatbility patch for the rain occlusion so you don't get hosed by rad storms inside)
HORIZON Survival Overhaul
DEF_UI (Horizon does its own item sorting so don't use Valacil)
WOF Ballistic Overhaul (with trails, trust me, you'll poo poo yourself when you're playing Horizon and you see trails and hear a firefight off in the distance)
reverb+ambience overhaul
some assembly required
Towbie's Realistic Gun Fire Overhaul (this with reverb+ambience overhaul and no music is god-tier)
No More Combat Music (optional but I turn off music generally depending on the situation and combat is one of them, imagine the firefight scene in Heat, that's how it is with these sound mods)
Classic Fallout Ambience (alternate version which combines Fallout 1+2+4 ambient music)
Raider Overhaul (disable bonus stats so it doesn't break Horizon balance)
Live Dismemberment (blow off limbs instead of cripple enemies)
Realistic Melee Range and Kill Moves
SilentUI
Vault-tec historical preservation initiative (lore poo poo)

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 27, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Gyshall posted:

What's the go to balance overhaul for this game? In the vein of Fallout Wamderers Edition/Jsawyer?

Don't know about normal mode but if you're looking for survival, Horizon is getting really close to completion and 0.993 will be a really huge update.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Horizon dude just posted some patch notes for 0.993 so if you're considering Horizon, I'd wait a couple days. This is a big one

quote:

Just an update on the next patch..

It's very large, so I'm taking my time to make sure numbers are tuned well, and new game mechanics are working properly. The patch notes alone are going to take up half of this notes section.

It's contains:
- Weapon and weapon mod rebalancing
- New weapon mods (replaces some existing ones)
- NPC changes / health tuning
- Body part vulnerability changes
- Critical damage overhaul (works in/out of VATS now)
- Sneak attack changes
- New ways to cure individual illnesses by themselves
- VANS Navigation and Grenade Throwing Arc, can now be toggled on/off with a consumable item
- Crafting stations requirement/ingredient changes when building them
- Settlement Resource Utility: The Steel Yard - Produces steel
- Domesticated crops are separated into their own objects now, and it fixes some display/repair problems with other crops
- Clean ammo box fix
- Added antibiotics, tools, and an extra bandage to starter containers in Sanctuary
- Consuming water/liquor/nuka gives you an appropriate empty bottle

Possibly:
- Thirst/Hunger/Sleep will effect the amount of healing you gain with medical supplies
- Tweaks to how purified water is produced through the resource manager

The weapons/NPC part is only halfway done. I'll need at least a few more days. And the patch after will most likely continue more NPC/weapon tweaks and changes.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Disco De Soto posted:

Is there a mod compilation/overhaul like Project Nevada available for this game yet?

Horizon if you want survival gameplay

OP needs to add it to the OP

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I've been meaning to try Horizon because survival is a ton of fun. Is it stable enough at the moment or should I hold out?

It's definitely stable enough but I've been talking to the dev and the next patch is going to basically double the amount of changes made. I'd hold off until next weekend, figure it'll be out by then.

I think we'll see 1.0 before the new year at this rate.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Take an hour to read the patch notes for the latest Horizon update. Holy gently caress.

OP you really need to add this to the thread. This is the craziest mod for survival players besides FROST and that's a complete overhaul that is nowhere near complete.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

TroubledWaters posted:

Does Horizon play nice with the unofficial patches?

No problem with the unofficial patches but I wouldn't mess with the alternate start mods yet, especially when you can just get the vanilla intro over with in like 15 minutes.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Woebin posted:

So are there any recommended mods to go with Horizon? Right now I've just got that, DEF_UI and Full Dialog Interface. Obviously I don't want anything that messes with the balance or so, but other stuff might be cool.

Far Area Reform
Photorealistic Commonwealth + True Storms compatibility patch (for the radiation occlusion tool)
Reverb+ambience overhaul
WOF Ballistic Overhaul (with trails, trust me, you'll poo poo yourself when you're playing Horizon and you see trails and hear a firefight off in the distance)
Towbie's Realistic Gun Fire Overhaul (gun sounds)
No More Combat Music (optional but I turn off music entirely sometimes for the ambience with these mods)
Classic Fallout Ambience (alternate version which combines Fallout 1+2+4 ambient music)
Live Dismemberment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgSM713PDe4

That's all I use honestly at the moment. I got rid of No Assembly Required because it isn't necessary anymore. I'm going to be working on some compatibility patches with my friend once 1.0 hits

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 14, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

drkeiscool posted:

Are there any mods to make the story not be poo poo?

This is why I'm excited for FROST but it's nowhere near complete at the moment.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
COMING SOON
Horizon 0.994 hype

Possible change to the level-up script causing some framerate issues for a few players
Changes to fire-based weapons and burning damage
Tweaks to world item drops / loot containers
Weapon damage overhaul / Weapon mod changes
NPC stat tuning / ai tweaks
More "broken weapon" drops from NPCs
More additions to the settlement progression system
Continued loot balancing changes

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
With Bethesda games, the general rule is "give it a year and a half for the interesting mods to come out (in a finished state), especially overhauls", hasn't even been a year since the GECK released. I'm sure when we're looking back at Fallout 4's modding scene when Bethesda puts out another major title, it'll be comparable to Skyrim.

I'm surprised we have Horizon this early tbh

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
A friend and I have been approaching dozens of mod creators building up a portfolio of interesting mods that compliment Horizon. I'm surprised how many of these guys are open to sharing their work.

Don't want to do anything major before Horizon hits 1.0 but we're looking at adding lore-friendly weapons (not just boring rifles) and adding and expanding on existing survival mechanics. Also investigating how to create a durability system for clothing, weapons and weapon mods.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

HoboTech posted:

Horizen seems good but what are people's opinions on FROST? I'm sure this topic has already been covered, just looking for a brief opinion.

I'm waiting for the "Ultimate Survival Overhaul" where your character is constantly dying of a terminal disease and you start the game with a sniper rifle trained on your head because it's HARDCORE, MAN.

FROST does a couple things better than Horizon (AI survival playstyle) and I'll be looking into integrating some of those things into Horizon myself later down the line.

Overall I just can't recommend it yet since it's so early in development. Maybe this time next year I'll play it but until then, I'll put up with Bethesda's lovely story to get an ideal survival experience, but when it is ready, it'll blow everything else out of the water.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
For the poster asking for a first playthrough, I know it's an unpopular opinion but I think survival mode is the ideal first playthrough difficulty. A page or two back I posted a bunch of mods that compliment Horizon, just get rid of Horizon and you have a great fairly lightweight vanilla survival experience with more atmosphere.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

horse mans posted:

Are you one of the people responsible for Horizon? Are fruits/vegetables not meant to be taken off their plants at all?

EDIT: Ah yeah, I see the note about crops on the nexus page. Sucks for crops that aren't in settlements but I can understand the rationale.

Not a Horizon dev but I'm going to be releasing some compatibility patches for smaller content releases but I'm really starting to look into merging elements that I like from FROST into Horizon, most importantly getting rid of the unlimited ammo/AI endlessly shooting at the corner you're hiding behind.

I'll give some more concrete details once I have them but my merging efforts might not be necessary if I'm successful in bringing a couple modders together to create an official merge mod in the interest of a really good survival experience. So far, everyone seems open to it.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 28, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Make sure you get Horizon 0.96 if you're playing, added some good stuff. Also I'll look for some optimization mods for you but the biggest one is shadowboost for me

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

boneration posted:

gently caress me how many people are gonna be able to run that. Is there any chance of modders being able to tone it down a little for us poors without $$$ video cards?

Whether or not you'd actually want to use them is arguable considering Bethesda's textures are loving garbage.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://m.imgur.com/a/rwWeA
What's the consensus on the texture pack? Wait until someone compresses it to 10GB with no fidelity loss?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
0.999 Horizon is finally out holy poo poo these patch notes

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 27, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17374/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D17374&pUp=1

So I guess Horizon hit 1.0.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Here's my recommended mods for a super immersive, fairly lightweight Horizon playthrough

(ShadowBoost+ENBoost+Optimized Textures)
Far Area Reform
Interiors Enhanced - Darker Ambient Light and Fog
DEF_UI/Valacil Item Sorting
reverb+ambience overhaul
True Storms+Natural Atmospheric Commonwealth (compatibility patch here http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19834/ )
Armorsmith Extended (Horizon compatibility patch)
Towbie's Realistic Gun Fire Overhaul (this with reverb+ambience overhaul and no music is god-tier)
Homemaker (Horizon compatibility patch)
Sim Settlements (Horizon compatibility patch)
Raider Overhaul (Horizon compatibility patch)
No More Combat Music (optional but I turn off music generally depending on the situation)
Crossbows of the commonwealth (Horizon compatibility patch)
HORIZON Survival Overhaul

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 13, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Holy poo poo, has anyone seen this? Goodbye ENB.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/71370/?go=force_view

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, that's the lighting mod that the True Grass guy used for his screenshots. This new version looks good enough to make me finally ditch True Storms/Vivid Weathers.

drat, I could've sworn that was ENB.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Gonkish posted:

Just tried out NAC and HOLY poo poo I love it. God drat.

Are you using the debug or the stable version?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What is the most up to date/recommended texture mods for landscapes, buildings and NPCs anyways? FAR is still recommended for LODs correct? I know I want to use the grass mod from the previous page.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 16, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just checked Natural Atmospheric Commonwealth and it hit 0.9.0 stable. Use this with Horizon.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7657/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Problem with this New Vegas project is that it doesn't really appeal to the people who like New Vegas. They consider FO4 rotten to the core in the same way Morrowind fans consider Skyrim an awful base for Skywind no matter how much it is modded. If it releases, it'll be a nice landmass to play around in but it doesn't really have a future.

After OpenMW/OpenCS hits 1.0 its only a matter of time until OpenNV becomes a thing and that's where the true potential is. That being said, I hope this project goes somewhere because like Skywind, it'll give OpenNV modders assets to work with.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I understand the appeal behind Morroblivion or Skywind because the jump in technology is really significant. The jump from Fallout New Vegas (Gamebyro 2007) to Fallout 4 (Gamebyro 2015) is less significant and unless the new quest they're modding in is really small, I can't see it ever being completed unless this guy is the jack of all trades and his friends are willing to script to completion. Not to mention the Fallout modding community is considerably smaller and the really talented modders are shared between the franchises. How many of them are still interested in Fallout 4, aren't working on something related to TESRenewal/Tamriel Rebuilt, working on their own poo poo and are willing to put in a bunch of :effort: for something that will most likely fail?

By the time this is anywhere close to release, OpenNV will be a thing and it'll be better because it isn't constrained by Bethesda's awful tech anymore.

Lurdiak posted:

Fallout 4's problems (outside of obvious things like the HATE NEWSPAPER interface) are in sloppy world/quest design, really bad optimization in various areas, and writing. I don't know who you're talking about that would consider it an unsuitable base for a New Vegas mod but that thinks New Vegas, a glorified unstable fallout 3 mod that looks like rear end, is technically flawless.

NV into FO4 would be a fairly neat transition compared to MW into Skyrim since they didn't remove huge features like spellcrafting or anything but both games are in an awful technical state. A port only increases graphical fidelity, which I'll admit is attractive but it's not what modders are concerned with. The sooner everyone moves away from Bethesda's tech (including Bethesda themselves) the better. The open source implementations have far more of a future than a mod-remake thing.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 27, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

There is definitely cool new features in FO4, the power armor system, verticality (buildings have roofs you can climb on, what a novel idea), settlement building, gunplay/graphics are much improved.

The problem is

Since Morrowind, every Bethesda game has been one step forward, 2-3 steps back.

You need to watch this to understand Bethesda. Why do you think Kirkbride went away after Morrowind?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTzi1I-Bg8

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Has anyone tried NAC 1.0 test build?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 11, 2017