Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There's a new mod out for lowered weapons that might be a good candidate to replace the two on the first page: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20093/

Essentially your gun stays up during combat and for a few seconds (configurable) after firing or aiming, but is otherwise lowered. Better than either of the alternatives that require you to manually lower it or that keep putting your gun down in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pain Train knocks people down if you sprint into them while in power armor. I recommend http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6580/ and http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6740/ with it to give it a lot more oomph.

I'm pretty much always in power armor so I don't use this one, but if you just wanna knock people down with your 10 STR character or whatever, you might look into http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5099/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The practical effect is much more satisfying. I found with vanilla pain train that I would hit someone, they'd fly way the gently caress off into the distance, and then I'd have to chase them down to keep punching; or, I'd hit them, they'd hit some obstruction, and I would charge through and past them.

Now you send them slightly less distance, but you collide with them as they ragdoll which means they get pushed in front of you. If you have the room to continue sprinting with these mods on, you can push people way farther, and they're not 10 meters away when you're finished sprinting. It also means you can do things like bodyslam people into walls and off ledges much more easily.

If it's not for you then that's what it is, but I can't recommend the collision paintrain enough.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Don't have any evidence but anecdotal, but I cleared out downtown Boston using nothing but the cryolator after realizing it was Big Guns and I had just maxed that. Been back since and haven't had a problem with it crashing.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You should be proud! It looks like fun, and the fact that you bothered to fix the looping, added a muzzle flash, made it work with scopes, gave it a custom projectile etc all make the end result look slick and smooth. And yes, modding can be a lot of fun, sometimes more fulfilling than actually playing the game. There's a reason so many people make mods!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The mod author is saying, "Hey, my mod was featured in this compilation by a youtube personality" which means that if you clicked on those videos, maybe one fifth of the time or less would be spent on the mod in question. The compilations all have T&A for the reasons that have been discussed above. Note that the one video which features only the earmuffs has a normal thumbnail.

e: as to your issue when browsing the nexus, make sure you have CBBE/Bodyslide, anime, and skimpy unchecked in your settings as well as "adult" files; most of those mods are going to be about "provocative" armor as well, and you can safely remove them. I have all off, and almost never have to sort through endless waifu dolls and dresses to get decent content.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 8, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The game doesn't really simulate stuff that's outside of the player's immediate vicinity very well, so most of it would have to be an abstracted numbers game unless you want the player to go along with every single patrol. This is why you can have 5000 defense rating worth of missile turrets at a settlement and two super mutants with pipe guns and a dog can win against it- the battle doesn't really get fought, it just puts some numbers down and rolls a die.

STALKER: Clear Sky suffered from this problem to some extent as well, and it made the game fairly frustrating sometimes, your guys would just lose over and over. That said, it did do a much better job simulating actual NPC positions on the map and that sort of thing when you were not there.

It's a good idea, I mean, the real reason it didn't work for Clear Sky was because it was either very buggy or intentionally set up badly to the point where you could exterminate factions but then they'd just sort of respawn on top of your dudes occupying their headquarters and go back to wiping out your faction. Having that system but without this problem in FO4 could potentially give you a real sense of impacting the world that is missing now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's a pretty impressive technical achievement for the gamebryo engine if it is true. Didn't comment on that one because I'd never played or heard of the mod. But if Immersive Patrols in Skyrim does pretty much what you want in FO4, then yeah, it can be done.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Double Agent posted:

Even though I try to keep settlement items where the game would normally let me place them, sometimes that isn't possible for what I plan on doing. So, Place Everywhere is very useful: [url]http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9424/?[/url

I don't make a lot of settlement stuff but when I do I want it to not look like poo poo. Place everywhere is amazing for this, it means no more light fixtures hovering a meter under the ceiling because the collision is weird, it means being able to sink things slightly into the dirt when it makes sense, it means no more gaps in your fences, etc. I got a lot more use out of it than I thought I would.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I have issues once in a while when I put poo poo inside of other poo poo where it shouldn't be. I just tcl in there and get really close and can usually select it as well. It is great for doing things like that though, any uneven surfaces like ruined buildings can be easily repaired.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a mod that boosts up unarmed Power Armor damage?
My current game is where I play as Bruce Banner.

I use http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15885/ . That other mod looks neat but I guess if you don't want all the other stuff that comes with it this one just buffs the damage. Playing on V. Hard I find the damage is quite reasonable at high levels and I frequently have entertaining fist fights with ghouls. You'll be one-shotting the low-level ones though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Pretty sure skills are just out of reach of most modders. The coding and implementation alone would be a huge challenge but doing balancing it would be beyond most people. I imagine it'd gently caress up pretty much every other mod that touched gameplay at all as well.

Which is a shame, because the skill system was pretty decent in Fallout, it wasn't arcane or hard to get into, and it didn't punish you heavily for not playing the "right way" like older TES games did. Its removal is a big part of why FO4 is a shooter instead of an RPG/FPS hybrid. It's tough to make the player pass skill checks when there are no skills.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

A friend and I have been approaching dozens of mod creators building up a portfolio of interesting mods that compliment Horizon. I'm surprised how many of these guys are open to sharing their work.

Don't want to do anything major before Horizon hits 1.0 but we're looking at adding lore-friendly weapons (not just boring rifles) and adding and expanding on existing survival mechanics. Also investigating how to create a durability system for clothing, weapons and weapon mods.

I'd love to see a return to the durability system. The FO3/4 implementation wasn't perfect, but it did two things really well; it meant that to run super high end weapons and armor you had to either invest in repair, spend caps to get things repaired, or accept that your equipment is going to function less than ideally. It also added to the feeling of a post-apocalypse, everything around you was broken which was nicely mirrored by the fact that all your stuff would get broken if you didn't actively spend time preventing it from getting that way.

I wish the best of luck to you guys!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I do like HOF's ideas, and would largely agree; the one issue I have is that weapon repair kits trivialized the whole system. For just repair of 30/40 depending on whether you took the magazine reading perk and four of the most common items in the game (plus duct tape) you could repair everything, so once you reached that point repair became more of a chore than a need; I'd never not be able to repair my weapons. If you can always guarantee a repair, it's just a nuisance that you have to take care of every now and then, but when there is a real chance that sometimes you might have to go for a while with a less-than-perfect gun before you get what you need to fix it, then it becomes interesting.

Also, being able to repair valuable weapons up to 100% and sell them was completely economy-destroying, but that would be easy to remedy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bilal posted:

No, the only reason that Fallout 3 or New Vegas needed weapon degradation was to prevent the player from sequence breaking the game by getting a hold of a late game weapon early on. For example, the minigun dropped from the quest in Novac is at almost zero condition to prevent you from getting a minigun that early in the game.

I'm not sure that's true, especially since 1) the minigun really sucks in FNV and 2) there's a garage in Novac that has everything you need to make 10 repair kits less than 100m away from where that encounter happens.

I'd guess it has more to do with preserving the game economy, selling a full condition minigun is a lot of capsmoney. Probably also has to do with the fact that a low level player against a nightkin with a full condition minigun would get killed pretty quickly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Depends on if you want to experience the game more or less as intended but better.

I guess here's what I'd add:
Place Everywhere
Spring Cleaning
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul
Unofficial Fallout 4 patch
Shell Rain
Achievements (normally adding mods disables them, if you care about this sort of thing)
Durable Vertibirds

But really there's just going to be a lot of small things you will want fixed as you play the game and you'll find mods based on that. My mod list is like 50-some odd long, but most of them are really small things like making the spotlights that target the player cast shadows, making the power armor impact landing not aggro friendlies, nicer-looking settlement crafting items, etc. Just tons of tiny nitpicky fixes that you may or may not want changed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There are the synth relay grenades that the Institute has, and there are plenty of mods that make those grenades more available to you the player.

I know there's a mod that introduces grenades that do the same thing for Brotherhood soliders and Minutemans and Railroadies, but I don't know the name off the top of my head.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

it looks so naked.

I think that has a lot to do with why so many people like it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Can't speak for that poster, but I hate destroying the institute, as in, the hole in the ground. Once we've killed all the people inside, why are we blowing it up?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I've been looking for a mod that lets me look down and see my chest/legs in first person in FO4 but haven't managed to find anything- ideally I'd like something similar to this one for New Vegas. Does such a thing exist for this game?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dongattack posted:

lol, instantly babbyfit meltdown at some obscure eastern european site is hosting your low-effort copy-paste mesh edits packing up all your toys hurting everyone except the one person you are mad at, seems legit :nexus:

edit: that rolling spit mutant hound grill looks cool tho and really really loving gross, i hope nobody actually eats mutant hounds

Mutant hounds are a flat -50 rads, so who doesn't eat them?

Delicious.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Terrorforge posted:

Awareness, yeah. The thing with that is that the FO4 armor mechanics are so unintuitive I find it really hard to grasp what the numbers actually mean. It's like an exponentially decreasing reduction based on the ratio between your damage and the DR value? If an enemy has 50 ballistic/30 energy, do I do more damage with a weapon that deals 80 ballistic or 60 energy? Who loving knows!*

* I'm pretty sure it's the 80 ballistic, but to figure that out I had to spend 10 minutes with the wiki and a calculator, which kind of illustrates my point.

It's an interesting problem, this. JE Sawyer was talking about FNV during a recent event on Twitch where he and a bunch of other Obsidian guys were playing it, and he said that he thinks a system like Skyrim/FO4 is a better gameplay system than straight DT, but they went for DT in FNV specifically because it was an intuitive, easy-to-understand gameplay mechanic that was still pretty close to the mark on what they wanted to achieve whereas the arbitrary armor numbers are very opaque which makes it tough to have an informed decision on what to wear as a player.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Some of those mods exist, some don't, but you can definitely make Mama Murphy shut up forever by just giving her the drugs she keeps pestering you for. I think you even get experience for killing her!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hey everyone time for my weekly Nexus mod round up! here is some stuff!

Fine Art of the Commonwealth adds twenty new 18th century oil paintings to be hung in your settlement to the game.

The Cricket Bat adds the infamous British Commonwealth torture device known as a cricket bat as a melee weapon to the game.

Proper Flyer and Posters of the Commonwealth is a texture replacement for all the faded random pre-war fliers and posters littered around the landscape.

Lore Friendly Backpacks adds a selection of small, medium and large backpacks that can be bought or looted from NPC based on existing in game models.

1st to 3rd Person Reload bug fix apparently this is a recent problem for those who switch between views whilst in combat.

The Iron Giant Liberty Prime replacer replaces Liberty Prime with another famous fictional robot.

More Lunchbox Drops expands the selection of free random items that you get inside the many unopened Vault Tech lunchbox littering the Commonwealth. No more Pencils!

Those are all well and good, but I'm really surprised to not see Combat Zone Restored in there. For all the (deserved) griping about cut content and missed opportunities in the game, this seems ideal. The mod seems to more or less bring the Combat Zone back to being what it was originally intended to be.

horse mans posted:

EDIT: Additionally, the bUseCombinedObjects setting under [General] in fallout4.init seems relevant too, but it's not clear to me what it does or what the implications of toggling it are. It seems the default is 1, and 0 is what people recommend setting it to to scrap objects within expanded settlement borders, but it also seems to cause a non-trivial performance hit.

I didn't see anyone cover this, so I'll explain it:
In most games each individual mesh is its own object, which has been true in past Bethesda games as well. You can turn those objects on or off easily in the level editors and in game with the console. Fallout 4, however, uses combined objects for most things in the world, which is pretty much what it sounds like- you take several different static mesh objects and combine them into one. That's why you can't scrap most things outside of settlements even if you expand the settlement boundaries, because the objects that are placed which still look and act like discreet individual objects are combined into one entity as far as the game is concerned. This was done, as you say, for performance-related reasons. Setting combined objects to 1 means true, 0 is false. So turning off object combining will let you scrap individual items in areas that aren't normally part of settlements, but at a significant framerate loss.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I posted the combat zone one back in december in a previous post.

Might be a different one? This one came out on Jan 22nd.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Deino posted:

There's a fairly cool 10mm Carbine available here: Link

:ughh:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Goddamn FO4 Dogmeat is the most annoying one yet. Stands on things I need to interact with, jumps up in front of my goddamn gun when I need to shoot things, sits in doorways I'm trying to get through. Makes alarming weird noises when I'm trying to sneak up on scary things. I need to find a mod to teach him to be less of a pain in the rear end.

Yeah but if you use the companion commands he can disarm and retrieve active landmines. If that doesn't make him a Good Boy I dunno what will. He doesn't even have opposable thumbs!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

There any mods out that make scrapping a settlement of resources fast and not time consuming? I've cleaned all of them up on my first plays I don't want to do it again.

Basically something similar to the scrapall command but without the potential bugs of scrapping doors and stuff like that.

And anything for improving enemy raids of settlements either to make them better or not appear in the middle of your town behind the walls?

I think you're outta luck on that first one, just gotta get fast at spamming the two keys you need to scrap and confirm.

Second one though, I don't personally use it since I don't care but I saw this pop up the other day, and it sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a bit weird to hear someone calling out Fallout 2's early game combat as good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mr. Crow posted:

This mod overhauls energy weapons and looks really drat good.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21851/

Looks like it just turns Microfusion cells into fusion cores with a new name. I dunno how you feel about the way the gatling laser works in Fallout 4, but if you're one of the many people who finds it obnoxious to have a trillion cores with differing charge levels in your inventory, it might not be that great.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shoehead posted:

my robot pal Sam (named after Fireman Sam because he has the fireman protectron head) usually lights em on fire

Isn't that the opposite of what firefighters are supposed to do?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I did a curious google search and turns out nobody outside Nexus is even working of a 10MM SMG or classic Gauss Rifle mod anymore :smith:

Would be very interested in either of these; I'm almost tempted to try my hand at them, but while I can do basic 3D modeling (and this would be an excuse to get better) I feel like both would wind up needing custom animations. The Gauss Rifle especially depending on whether you mean the Fallout 3 model instead of the M72 from Fallout 2.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

staberind posted:

Someone has not read Fahrenheit 451.

I wasn't thinking about it from that angle, but Fallout fits in better with Bradbury than I'd have expected. I don't expect Bradbury himself would be thrilled at the comparison, but he was No Fun.

staberind posted:

Honestly, the Fusion Gun looks p. cool, aside from the stock. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17847/

You're right, that is cool. I'm just going to assume that as a laser weapon it has no recoil, because there is no way a human being would allow that piece of metal to get shoved into their body over and over.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That first one reminds me uncomfortably of Spec Ops: The Line's loading screens towards the end.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I need that SMG in my life.

Funky Valentine posted:

I strongly disagree with the notion that raiders are thinking or intelligent.

They still fall for the FREE CHEMS sign.

Yeah but so does Hancock. Not arguing that he's the smartest cookie in the jar, but he's at least sentient.

horse mans posted:

From a while back, but does setting bUseCombinedObjects back to 1 recombine any remaining objects? That is, can I improve the performance of my game after I've already changed this value?

I'm actually not sure; my intuition says you could change the value back but that it would probably also bring any removed objects back. I haven't tested it though, and I don't know of anyone else who has. Do you feel like furthering the knowledge of the species?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Faded Mars posted:

So I see that there are projects like Skywind and Skyblivion out there.

What are the chances of a similar team coming together to move FO3/NV over to Fallout 4? I did a bit of googling which mostly brought up year-old Reddit posts from before the SDK release and whatnot saying it was impossible due to scripting differences and the like. But surely these differences also exist between Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim and those projects are still moving forward.

Is there any ambitious mod team out there going for something like this? Even with mods and new textures and all that, on my most recent playthrough of NV I really started noticing just how old it is and I'm sure many others feel the same.

As much as I hate to link to reddit, there are actually some people working on this who posted new stuff for the first time just a couple days ago. You can go check it out if you want, though it's very clearly in the early stages. I might normally not post it but the dude who made that and put up the images worked on Project Brazil and regardless of your feelings towards that mod it means he has what it takes to see a large project through to completion.

Magmarashi posted:

Stephen Russell has actually only done 3 Bethesda RPG titles, voicing a few characters I was surprised to learn were him (Most Named and Generic Handy's/Gutsy's, Harold) and perhaps most famously for providing the signature voice of Thief protagonist Garrett (not including the latest Thief game because why bother when your game sucks).

Yeah Russel has pretty good range; though Valentine and Belethor are both characters that everyone who has played both FO4 and Skyrim will have run into and both sound fairly distinct on their own, so I can see why people would be able to spot that one really quickly. I was surprised to learn how much he voiced too though, which is generally the sign of a good VA.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I would recommend as an alternative to these, a different Chinese Assault Rifle and R91. The two linked have some really awful materials that make the guns look like they were sculpted out of a clay/plastic material in game. The R91 I linked isn't perfect but it's better, and the Chinese Assault Rifle is great, with the caveat that it's held further away from the player in first person than any other weapon is for some reason.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Feedback as to your damage system:

Not sure how you plan to handle bleeding, but it would have to be either A) The armor reduces bleed damage by a flat percentage based on Maths, or B), it reduces the percentage of the time a bullet actually does make you bleed. B makes a lot more sense but I have no idea how tough it would be to code. If you go for option A then you're back in the same situation we already have where good armors give you great damage resist, and if you go for option B it makes fast firing guns much much better than Rifleman perk weapons because you can stack bleed very very quickly no matter how much armor is on the player (or whatever the player is shooting, Mirelurk queen etc). Oh, and I think you can very much justify robots taking bleed damage; their bodies are still full of fluids that circulate to keep them running, i.e. oil, coolant, hydraulic fluids, which are the equivalent of bleeding.

I like the idea of ammo switching but as far as I am aware there is no way to switch what kind of bullet a gun shoots in the game without swapping out parts at a weapons workbench, so that will be a technical hurdle to overcome.

Radiation damage on energy weapons is bad. Energy weapons are already very second-class in Fallout 4 because of their lower damage potential, their lack of variety, and the fact that so many things have more ER than DR. Making them do rad damage instead of bleed just makes them much worse- because almost everything in the wasteland except humans (which make up maybe a third of everything you fight) are immune to rad damage. Even if everything had no rad resist it would still be worthless- the damage doesn't stack, what happens is that the energy damage depletes their health pool and then the rad damage decreases their max health, but they've already lost the health that you've removed from their max so it effectively does no damage at all. The Radium Rifle has this same problem. Even with Nuclear Physicist, you will kill your enemies from normal damage long long before the rad damage even becomes an issue, and the rad damage isn't helping you kill them.

It's neat that you're taking inspiration from STALKER and I agree, STALKER has a cool armor system. I'm just not sure how applicable it is here, because I'm pretty sure it does use a similar system to FNV's DT, based on my experiences in exoskeletons in those games. Small caliber bullets will still hurt you, just not very much. There are a few other issues that make it not translate very well also- STALKER uses the bleed percent chance resist on your armor, but even in bad armor you can bandage to stop the bleeding or take coagulants to make you less likely to bleed for a while, but in FO4 bleeding is just inevitability. STALKER also didn't have to contend with energy weapon damage, which is starting to make FO4's armors have a lot of really complicated numbers. Finally, impact damage in STALKER was for melee attacks, not bullets. I wouldn't recommend implementing that into FO4 though, the system you're proposing is complicated enough as is.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, and I have no idea which to use. One looks like it's way better made, but the other looks a lot more faithful to the classic Fallout design, which I quite liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I always hated placing occlusion manually, was a pain in the rear end, but then again I was a modder making relatively small multiplayer maps instead of a professional game designer working on a triple A singleplayer game.

I wonder how much of a performance increase you'd get from doing a better job with the occlusion alone, if it'd be worth making a mod for. I'm not going to be the one who does it, but it does make me wonder.