Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I dipped into messing around with modding this game and it ended up being a whole rabbit hole, as modding Bethesda games tends to. In the process, I belatedly started messing with Weaponsmith Extended in particular--and in working to try to shore up Valdacil's Item Sorting / Weapons of Fate / etc. compatibility and uniformity, there's a few things that have been annoying little details I'm trying to resolve--and was curious on a limb if anyone else with FO4Edit experience / working with this particular mod might be able to weigh in.

First, is that at the crafting bench, a fair number of the new arsenal don't show a preview model over the crafting pane; it's inconsistent in this regard, as some of the weapons show up fine, and all of the weapons show their models in the Pipboy inventory etc.--just not during the actual crafting portion. Additionally, some of the weapons show a part of the model, e.g. some new melee weapons showing hilt but nothing else etc. Is there an entry somewhere in the ESP that's trying to make a call to models that aren't extant, was this a matter of the modders just omitting this facet or what?

One of the included weapons in the mix is the .223 handgun--which also has its own reload sound. Due to a goof-up, they inadvertently made all revolvers use that reload sound with the little charge-up sound at the end--but I can't figure out what I should be looking for in FO4Edit's records to potentially excise or isolate that particular little goof.

In the vein of trying to make everything play nice with New Calibers and Valdacil's Item Sorting, I've also started poking at making a manual override esp for weapons that aren't part and parcel with Weaponsmith Extended in an effort to bring them in line with some of the same balance decisions (e.g. base damage on weapons by original caliber type, keywords to flag them as the correct 'type' of weapon with VIS' icons, etc.) I'm also trying to get things to work with Visual Reload, since that seems -mostly- straightforward, but I haven't quite wrapped my head around how to add the scripts to a new weapon manually yet.

I really wish they'd made a reference file with formID records or the like to work off of though, as it's pretty cumbersome to try to match like-weapon-types and manually edit -> copy -> edit -> paste individual records. There aren't a lot of them, but I'd like to try to bring them all into the same general parameters. That being said, I think WSE's balance is a little dubious--as even on Very Hard in the 30s - 40s level range it's pretty easy to get a semi-auto rifle downing most enemies in a shot or two after factoring in damage perks and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Midnight Voyager posted:

You might have to look at the separate mods for this one. Since it's a compilation, they're not likely to be consistent, but it's hard to tell which side hosed up without looking at the originals.

That sounds like something in Sound Keyword Mapping, maybe? Could have linked the sound set to the keyword for all revolvers instead of a keyword unique to the gun. I haven't done much with sound, but that's where I'd start to look.

Thanks very much for this, I think you're onto it with the keyword mapping, I just need to puzzle out which actually handles 'reload' sounds in particular.

The head-scratcher with the crafting previews is that some of the included weapons in the compilations were ones I had used without issue prior to it separately--I'm just not sure how the game engine actually handles tossing those models up there in the preview e.g. does it for some reason have a separate editor line entry for a crafting preview vs. a mod-attachment one? vs. the Inventory model? As far as I know, the inventory models are actually fully textured weapon models, as if you use a mod to remove the filter from the pipboy display it will show them with colors and textures there.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10669/

Is this the .223 in the mod? Because Known Issues might have you covered.

That's the one, but it doesn't cover restoring the normal revolver sound, just replacing it unfortunately. The bigger issue I'm having in retrospect is the Weaponsmith Extended balance is totally whack; they purport to have unilaterally balanced weapons based off of their default caliber, but they jacked up the numbers enormously--such that even on Very Hard, some of the regular rifles are knocking out most enemies in 1 - 3 shots with minimal modifications to the weapons. Frustrating and annoying, because otherwise there's a lot of good there (visible reload on them all, VIS sorting, uniform expansive mods, etc.) Grrr.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

SeanBeansShako posted:

That mod is so bloated and out of control I have no desire to ever use it again when I return to the game. I hope by then somebody would bring in a more balanced alternative.

Yeeeeaaaaaah I'm arriving at that same conclusion, unfortunately. I think about 10 or so of the weapons it entails are nice fits for the game, and it's cool to have them pushed at uniformity for functionality, mods, etc.--but out of control is a good way to put it. Regrettably, I'm mulling the headaches it would entail to try to excise it from an existing play-through fully after it's been baked in for a fair number of hours.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

SeanBeansShako posted:

Really if they gave a poo poo, they'd have a slimmed down, canon friendly and a version that doesn't require that piece of poo poo a million different ammo/receive mod because gently caress YOU I DON'T WANT THEM.

What, you don't like nine pages of ammo types in your inventory and trying to figure out which of the 14 7.62mm ammunition types works for which of the 6 AK-47s you've found?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's fine, I'll just keep killing raiders and collect a handful of bullets or shells from each one whilst ignoring the one dude who's weapon doesn't spawn on the hilariously bloated out of control spawn list punching me to death.

This actually brings to mind a secondary quandary I have--it seems like the hip thing with a lot of weapon and equipment mods for Fallout 4 in general is to self-inject into leveled lists via script rather than via actual leveled list entries. On paper I could see this being an ok way to go about it if folks were unilateral about it--but in practice, I feel like it ends up being a bit of a clusterfuck, and is probably why some otherwise neat weapon or equipment mods seem to end up with posts from people on nexus saying 'After installing this, literally everyone in the game ends up carrying this item' etc. It also makes it a hell of a lot harder to just make a bashed patch for a leveled list.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Yeah, I gave WSE the boot too--my only bumming is just that I can't puzzle out how to patch visual reload compatibility into weapons myself. It's a dumb little thing, but I really dig it.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

potaties posted:

This was a bit of a doozy. It was basically how I had it outlined earlier. I've never used 3DS Max, though, so that was a fun ride :v:

This should have the reload sound isolated from the other revolvers, as well as the draw animation (so you still twirl the .44's barrel, but not this one). Enjoy! https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3662925/The%20M2019%20PKD%20Detective%20Special%20-%20That%20Gun%20%28Custom%29.zip

Caveat: doesn't work in 3rd person, might dive back in at some point but we'll see.

Good gracious, this was quite swell of you! Thank you, this rocks!

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Well this is extraordinarily aggravating--I've found myself in a situation shortly after arriving at the Institute for the first time where I noticed I could no longer actually initiate dialogue with NPCs. I got pulled into some of the scripted conversations, but only get NPCs to turn towards me when attempting to talk to them. The bugger of it is that I haven't added any new mods recently and it was working fine on this play-through before--and if I roll back a couple hours worth of saves, I can still speak with NPCs there.

I'm baffled as to where and how it broke, however--as essentially all I had done in that span was a bunch of settlement building, then a bunch of fast-traveling to talk to quest targets to finally move the main story along again. I've got no idea where to begin for troubleshooting, I can't fathom what might've busted it--and not only not knowing how to fix it, or how to avoid it reoccurring, I'm left pulling my hair out a bit.

Edit: Scratch that, rolling back to earlier saves doesn't fix it after all, so it must be a wily mod somehow mucking things up out of nowhere--or some INI thing.

Edit Deux: Well, after the very very very lengthy and annoyingly trial and error process of disabling and re-enabling mods and testing, the culprit seems to have been Gunner Overhaul, which is particularly strange because A) I ran with it for probably 6+ hours without any trouble, B) I hadn't made any updates or changes to the mod itself (let along any other mods recently) and C) It seemed to affect all saves, before or after it had been a party to it. As soon as I finally winnowed down to -just- Gunner Overhaul and disabled it, every save along the line worked fine again. Bizarre.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 9, 2017

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

HoboTech posted:

I've had issues with this one as well, mostly when it comes to settlement attacks.

The Gunners will just casually saunter around the outside of my base. Maaaybe they'll attack the settlers, maaaybe they won't! But they sure as hell don't attack me, even when I'm killing their squad mates right in front of them.

The mod is a neat idea because the Gunners should be something more than "Raiders but military-themed", but it seems a little wonky right now.

Yeah, I had some similar weirdness with them and how they behaved around traders and such on around the map as well. I'd love to see a more fleshed out treatment for the same reason--the Gunners really ought to be a proper faction and whatnot, but that's starting to also toe into Fallout 4's lack of 'proper' faction setups in the first place.

Still, it's annoying to be playing the Russian Roulette of adding and very belatedly excising mods mid-playthrough as ever, even if Fallout 4 seems a little bit more resilient this time around. I'll still periodically get sudden CTDs on area transitions or trucking between cells despite painstaking lengths of tidying up esp record edits, etc.; them's the annoying breaks that I wish I could more accurately isolate and correct.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Midnight Voyager posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17286/

This has some compatibility patches for it.

Ha, so this has skibadaa's weapons... in their original pack incarnation, but they've gone and completely redone all those weapons as individual mods since, which naturally leaves them with new formIDs, meshes, the works. Boo.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Midnight Voyager posted:

Afraid so! They are working on remaking them all from scratch, and I think they said they aren't making a combined one until they finish.

Perhaps the patch would be enough to figure out how it works, though? I don't know anything about the mod myself.

I feel like once I can figure out a few of the nuances I can affect a custom patch esp myself, it's just wrapping my head around working on FO4Edit to pull it off. The Visual reload patches for skibadaa are for the original combo--which unfortunately is hidden as part of proceeding with the redux versions moving forward. Since those patches use the original as a master though, I can't actually pull them up in FO4Edit for a peek.

On the flipside, though, I can at least poke at a somewhat comparable situation by way of the 'Crude Blowback' and 'Handmade Revolver' weapons and visual reload, in a somewhat contrived situation: these two weapons are packed in with Raider Overhaul, so to cut down on esps and avoid having duplicates of the same weapons (as Raider Overhaul is using their most recent versions anyways) I just defer to RO's copies.

RO's copies are distinct from the individual esps, while the visual reload compatibility patches refer to the standalone esps as masters. Nevertheless, I can at least load them up side by side for a column comparison in FO4Edit--here's the Crude Blowback weapon entry for both RO and the standalone version alongside the visual reload patch:

Cropped down, but the foremost difference is the patch adding scripts to tie in with spawning the appropriate mag model when a reload occurs; the other primary component of the patch is adding new Movable Static entries, to represent the mags being spawned after the fact.

Apart from different formids, and the new scripts for the visual reload patch, the three instances of the weapon entry are functionally identical top to bottom--so my tripping point is really 'How do I inject these scripts + static meshes into a patch referencing the formid of the RO copy of the weapon without making a recursive esp-master nightmare?'

Tangentially, I really dig Valdacil Item Sorting--I'm a little unclear on whether keywords alone or Def_Inv / Def_UI (Keyword) in entry names are the better way to go about nudging sorting compatibility for unsupported entries too.

On a completely separate note, is there a generally good / reliable way to ensure that cell-modifying esps don't lead to flickering overlaps of world meshes / sneaky CTD territory? I had tried merging the Mika999 'better (location)' series into a single esp to conserve space, but when I trucked out to the downed flight in the glow it was overlapping the original cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hold on, I THINK I might have a copy of the original combined ESP somewhere... here we go! There was more than one in the mod so I just tossed all the ESPs into a RAR.

http://www.filedropper.com/esps

I think I'm making some headway with this--if I'm not royally screwing this up, re: the Skibadaa weapons, am I basically ok if I'm using FO4Edit -> Change FormID -> Swapping from the old merged pack FormID to the individual redux FromID and then basically copying over all the same changes from the updated redux entries to couple with the compatibility patch's reload scripts.

The patch does also have some Object Modification entries too, which mostly seemed to be directly side by side comparable save for the IF-54, which seems to have changed how it handled drum magazines in the redux version (it used to have drum magazine + larger drum magazine, etc. and now the redux seems to have instead gone drum, quick eject drum, .50 cal drum, .50 cal quick eject drum.)

Then I just need to get the thing to ditch its old masters.