Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Loomer posted:

I might use Pilgrim for my next Far Harbour run. It seems like it'd work best for Spooky Gothic Maine.

Pilgrim (at least the combat music and weather system) doesn't work in FH/NW yet, and probably won't even work in mod-added worldspaces. I'm looking at you, Dark Park.

That said, I dig the poo poo out of it, though the desaturation could use a little tuning to not be quite so harsh. A little color is okay. Either way, it's like STALKER meets Fallout, especially if you grab that flashlights mod suggested by the Pilgrim author.

cheesetriangles posted:

Would the same apply to modded items? Like load that esp then do the same steps?

Basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I uninstalled F4 about a month ago in a fit of frustration at the MO2 community fork being a buggy mess. Reinstalled yesterday to give NMM a shot and maybe start a new game with the Horizon overhaul.

Imagine my dismay when I remembered that NMM doesn't have the nifty override system of MO2 and puts mods directly into /data/.

Guess I'll be waiting until (if) Vortex releases and is stable to have a mod manager that Doesn't Suck.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Raygereio posted:

I honestly wouldn't hold my breath.
We'll have to wait and see what the thing will actually look like. But from what Tannin has been saying Vortex is going to be basically NMM 2.0 with a more polished UI. It's going to use NTFS symlinks which aren't as flexible as the vfs Tannin developed for MO and there's been a lot of talk about how MO was "too complex" and "required users to read a readme".

I'm not holding my breath but goddamn I wish Tannin hadn't just dropped MO2 development as soon as he got the offer from Nexus. I know software development is hard and there's all sorts of legal problems inherent to developing two products that do the same thing and function wildly differently, but gently caress could he have at least fixed the most major bugs in MO2 first?

horse mans posted:

I have no idea what the community fork of MO2 is but I've been using the github release of MO2 for fallout 4 for a year without the slightest issue. If you provide some details I might be able to help pin down your issues.

The github fork owned/maintainedish by LePresidente. The latest version I recall seeing (2.0.8.3) has some major memory allocation issues that are as-yet unfixed and aren't present in 2.0.8.1.

I may reinstall F4 and use MO2 again sometime soon, I don't know. It's just endlessly frustrating, dealing with bugs like needing to close and reopen MO2 after using F4Edit to modify anything {2.0.8.1) or having to set an actual timer to close F4 and relaunch MO2 before the memory poo poo happens (2.0.8.3).

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Are there mods that make settlements less complicated and more straight forward? I kind of hated that part of the game but it'd be nice to do a few simple things to get a decent settlement going rather than meticulously placing parts.

Give Transfer Settlements a look. There's lot of pretty decent blueprints available, though many of them require a shitload of workshop item mods. There's a fair selection of vanilla/DLC-only blueprints as well.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Saint Sputnik posted:

Ffffuck! twice now I've lost loot because I put it in a container to come back for it, and the container respawned as soon as I walked away. What is this bullshit

I'm not too bothered by havung to close and restart MO2 between time playing, but what's the timer for? What does the memory allocation error do?

Basically after 2-4h of playing, MO2 will "run out" of memory in the background and cause your next loading screen or save to crash the game. So you have to set a timer to save, close F4, close and reopen MO2, then relaunch FO4 to bypass the bug.

SPEAKING OF BUGS!

I took the plunge and reinstalled FO4, and installed 2k face textures. Now everyone's faces are this awful poo-brown "I spent too long in the tanning bed" color which looks incredibly jank on white characters. I've tried some sort of batch script which is supposed to fix the issue - something to do with DDS files being the wrong size? - and turns out to do a grand total of fuckall. So...now what?

E: I don't have the "HD" texture pack installed because it's poo poo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Quasipox posted:

My game has been crashing and I had no idea why, but I assumed it was a mod causing it. My game will completely lock up and I can alt-tab, but can't see any windows except the game. I was going crazy trying to figure out what caused it, but I guess this is my answer.

Yup that's the exact behavior of the MO2 v2.0.8.3 memory bug. If you go back to 2.0.8.1 the bug doesn't happen.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Terrorforge posted:

I'm using a pre-fork version of MO2 and I'm having what I have to assume is some kind of memory issue, because it only kicks in after I've been playing for a few hours and seems to get worse when I use my (presumably resource-intensive) VTO. The first thing that happens is that Horizon's ammo swapping script stops working for weapons I've had stored, sometimes I get horrific lag after aggroing an enemy and eventually objects stop loading in properly. Can't tell you how many times I've stood smack dab in the middle of Egret Tours Marina and just watched it sloooooowly pop into existence. Closing and restarting the game fixes everything.

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I'm gonna try disabling the VTO entirely now that I'm on a new playthrough that doesn't have a shitload of things stored in it, but I figured I might as well ask.

I recommend updating to post-fork v2.0.8.1 - it's the most stable version I've used so far.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Terrorforge posted:

How risky/complicated is the update process? I don't wanna screw my setup to avoid having to take a break every two hours.

Not super risky, but I'd install the new version separately and copy over your mods/settings just to be safe.

Also don't bother with the profile poo poo if you are now, trying to set it anywhere but your %appdata% breaks MO2 unles you do some sumlink fuckery at which point it's better to just use the portable option.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I still want a 6-round 40mm grenade launcher.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

My experience with the pump-action grenade launcher in the past was mediocre at best. It really doesn't have the same amount of rapid crowd/area suppression as the grenade machine launcher or the six-round launcher from FNV.

Also, a tip if you're using MO2: Unpack the BSA files for stuff like FlaconOil's retextures using BSA Browser, then use CompactGUI on your /mods/ folder.

I gained 12 GB of space by doing this as well as ensuring proper priority overwrites for vanilla retextures!

E: Don't do this, it's terrible advice and janks your textures up something fierce.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 21, 2017

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

And Tyler Too! posted:

I installed Craftable Ammo but all I can make are these worthless primers. What gives?

If you've got, say, Horizon installed then the ammunition recipes might be in a different bench.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Literally Esoteric posted:

Playing this game for the first time, was going through the OP looking for a way to just reduce the uncanny valley of the character faces. Anyone have recommendations for this?
I see a ton of "presets" mods with varying levels of cringeworthiness. I just want the characters to look less like exiles from Mass Effect.

I was thinking about this: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20445/
But there are confusing caveats in the description about it breaking face components? Does this refer only to things installed by other mods?

And the other thing seems to be Fallout 4 Script Extender to allow adjustments of faces in-game. Do you guys have an opinion of Face Sliders / F4SE?

Basically it's going to be kind of fucky. Face textures all have to be the same res with a half-size normal map texture or something. The base game is 1024x1024 and 512x512 but the HD DLC (and that mod) upsize it to 2048 and 1024, which if you have other mods that add face textures with the smaller size gives you the "black" face bug - it ends up being this ugly mannequin looking poo poo-brown facial texture.

The main issue is usually not the facial textures but their models. There's a few mods out there which adjust/tweak facial models so people look more like humans.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Yeah, Vertical Spawns is a nightmare. Which Gunsmith Extended are you using? There are 2 different ones on Nexus. Okay, seems the "Gunsmith Extended 2.1" one is way out of date so mainline it is! Now to find/make a Horizon integration patch...

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

cheesetriangles posted:

Has anyone taking over updating Mod Organizer 2 since Tannin got hired by Nexus? I really don't want to use NMM but MO2 even the beta had a lot of issues.

There's a fork on GitHub by some dude LePresidente. It's still a bit buggy but 2.0.8.1 is relatively stable so use that.

Zore posted:

Just use NMM. MO2 is a trashfire and NMM has a lot of the utility of the older MO releases.

NMM is a heap of poo poo that installs mods directly into your /Data/ directory and doesn't allow for intelligent (read: anything but install order) management of conflicting files.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

MohShuvuu posted:

I was trying out both tannin and LePresidente's fork of MO2, but I kept getting insufficient resource errors and my hair mods wouldn't load. I went back to NMM and everything worked upon installation.

Use the 2.0.8.1 version of LePresidente's fork. 2.0.8.2 introduces that issue and so far it's unfixed in the publicly available releases. There's some jackass who closed two of the memory error issues (#45 and #80) on that fork saying it was solved but there hasn't been a commit to the fork in nearly a year, there are no compiled releases on the guy's personal fork, and he doesn't provide a link to the "latest builds" which supposedly fix the issue.

E: Oh so these latest builds which fix a big loving issue are only available on the dev discord which is here: https://discord.gg/cYwdcxj

Again, no public beta releases which fix these bugs, but they closed the loving issues anyway!

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 28, 2017

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

toasterwarrior posted:

Cool, I'll check these out.

...and goddammit I was JUST about to get back into FO4 and now I gotta fuckin' wait again.

Man, I hope this is it. Has kinggath finally made FO4 settlement building into the system I wanted it to be all along?

Combine that with Horizon/Architect and literally never piece together a settlement from a pile of boards again.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/releases

:swoon:

Look at that update. 2.0.8.3 to 2.1.0. Many bugs quashed, including the memory leak bug! Between this and the SimSettlements expansion coming out I feel like F4 modding is finally hitting its stride.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Seashell Salesman posted:

Well I just started a VR run with Horizon and Sim Settlements Rise of the Commonwealth. I'll report back if my computer explodes/doesn't explode.

I have started a non-VR run and so far the game has CTD'd once, but it was unrelated to either Horizon or Sim Settlements.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Terrorforge posted:

There's a new provisory patch, available as an optional file on the Horizon Nexus page. Even without it though I think you should be able to console in the holotape and craft ASAM sensors yourself - or just console in those as well.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Yes, but Horizon wasn't updated for Sim Settlements, so I have no idea how to start SS. The thingies at the town hall in Concord isn't there. Going to get the console mod, disable combat AI and teleport to some other place that have them. I'll report back.

Terrorforge posted:

"Not optional" as in "it's effectively part of Z_Horizon.esp". I'm not sure if it hooks directly into any vital systems (iirc some people have had issues caused by unchecking it), but it 100% contains the fast travel system, non-bullshit crops, farming workbench and turrets.

Architect doesn't seem to let Sim Settlements (or the Settlement Menu Manager) actually display the Sim Settlements items. Sans SMM, Architect overwrites the "Special" category that SimS uses so you can't build the city manager desk or anything from Sim Settlements.

And the official Sim Settlements patch for Horizon doesn't seem to address this at all.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Sim settlements should be at the end of the list on its own menu, not the start, but you may need to install settlement menu manager for it to do that. Mine works fine with architect and I believe sim settlements recommends SMM.

I have SMM loading after Horizon, Architect, and Sim Settlements, but the Sim Settlements menu entry doesn't show up. I do have the sensors and holotape in my inventory, so I have no drat clue what is going on.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

dragonshardz posted:

I have SMM loading after Horizon, Architect, and Sim Settlements, but the Sim Settlements menu entry doesn't show up. I do have the sensors and holotape in my inventory, so I have no drat clue what is going on.

I figured out the problem: I am a retard and didn't run the SimSettlements holotape which must be done to actually enable the menu.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

dont be mean to me posted:

A complete patch log, but buried in patch notes and change logs, means it's documented thoroughly.

The fact that you felt such a need to pick that stuff out and put it into layman-readable terms that we now have a wiki for it that's not from the people who made Horizon themselves means that Horizon, no matter how thoroughly, is documented like poo poo.

You are performing a public service, and that deserves appreciation, but Horizon's developers don't deserve any credit at all for their documentation.

That said, I'll take poorly structured but thorough documentation over the converse.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ygolonac posted:

Awww, out of nowhere I'm getting crashes before the game even finishes loading, usvfs_x64.dll being the culprit. Hadn't changed anything in a while, either. (Starting a new game, even modded, does work, at least up until just after the Vault-Tec salesman comes by - that's where I quit back out.) Using LePresidente's fork of Mod Organizer 2, 2.0.8.1, which is where usvfs_x64.dll comes from.

If I take this opportunity to upgrade to the newest 2.1.1 release, is that going to force me to rebuild my modset etc.? Or can I just point it at the current MO2 directory and let it overwrite (after I make a backup, obviously)?

Don't overwrite it, but yes, you can do a direct upgrade. Install the new MO2 version to a new directory, copy over your /mods/, /downloads/, and /profiles/

also of note, the profile system and custom directories for where your mods are now functions correctly!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

khy posted:

Does the current version of Mod Organizer found on the Nexus (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194/) have any big issues I need to be aware of? I've heard the beta version linked in this thread's OP has tons of bugs that have to be worked around.

No, and you should use that version on the Nexus. There's a lot of updates between the version linked in the OP and that one on the Nexus. The most recent version (2.1.1) fixes a boatload of the issues that the earlier 2.0.x releases had, including fixing the memory leak(s) introduced in 2.0.8.2 and making the profile/directory system actually functional.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Seashell Salesman posted:

The conflict isn't actually over attribution, otherwise it would be easy to resolve. The problem is modders who want people to ask them for "permission" to use, derive from, or distribute stuff. You would end up in a similarly constipated situation if open source projects started demanding that anyone consuming their work asked for permission, and I guess even demanding other projects shut down because they were working on the same problem (this happens with mods on the Nexus).

Freelance free-time modders vary widely in quality, but I submit that the BethSoft mod community is in general less toxic than Minecraft modders. You don't find Skyrim Modder A putting in code to kill your game if it detects the existence of Modder B's work in memory.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

atomicgeek posted:

https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer

I'm not qualified to say how stable it is, but I've been using this with both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 with no problems.

The recent huge revamp releases (the 2.x releases) are at least as stable as MO1 was before Tannin got poached by Nexus.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Preem Palver posted:

I was a few dozen hours into a normal FO4 + Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth playthrough, but got bored after realizing 95% of my gathering was pointless. Set up a new mod profile based on Horizon to check out survival mode and make gathering and loot meaningful. Has anyone else mixed Horizon and Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth? I want to check out Horizon and Architect's changes to settlements, but I also love most of the RoTC cities. Can I change RoTC settings to only use residential and agricultural plots while using Architect industry, shops, caravans, and crafting stations for everything else? Can I upgrade RoTC cities as long as I have the pop/scrap/happiness requirements, or does it require the SS plots as well?

I do this thing and it works okay. I don't think you can set RoTC cities to use shops etc. from a different mod but you can still assign those settlers to Horizon workstuff no problem. RoTC still need SS, full on.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'll give that one a shot. Are there any major problems with this modlist? LOOT says everything is fine in the sorting section. I'm not sure why the PhyOp DLC mod is highlighted in red. Maybe its trying to overwrite files that don't exist?

The PhyOp mod is highlighted in red b/c it is the mod overwriting data in another mod that you currently have selected.

The only glaring issue I see if you should make the Armorsmith 3.32 update have a higher priority than the 3.31 main mod - as it is, none of the data in that mod is getting loaded because it's completely overwritten by the unupdated mod.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's in the proper load order, that list was better for getting a picture. Thanks for the info.
I'm not talking about ESPs, I'm talking about the priority number in MO. That little silver lightning bolt means the entire contents of that mod are being overwritten by another mod, so if there's any updated meshes, textures, ESPs, etc in there they're not going to actually be loaded and are totally useless.

The_White_Crane posted:

Ooh, d'you know I don't think anyone has done a temperature/weather mod!
I'm pretty sure there are a bunch which make food/healing items rarer, but IDK about ones which limit the production from settlements.

I think FROST Survival Simulator does this?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

horse mans posted:

I need some help. I'm 90% done an extremely hardcore survival run. Horizon on Outcast difficulty, in Desolation mode. Zombie walkers causing huge amounts of ferals everywhere, which I managed to survive without a single scratch.

What do I do for a challenge now? I don't like arbitrary rules like No VATS or No Power Armor. I guess FROST is next, but I'd welcome suggestions for more mods to my current loadout.

Nuka World Raider Conquest run at same difficulty with same mods?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vasudus posted:

Before I get into this again, I see there's a HD texture pack out there now. I don't want to download 40GB of textures if I'm going to overwrite them with a third party set. Is it any good?

It is a giant pile of bloated crap. Just keep using the third-party stuff.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

Yeah. I was planning to upgrade last year and then had to make repairs on my bathroom, and then in bitcoin miners went berserk.

Currently have a gtx 660, and I'm hoping I can get away without spending more than 700, ideally less. Have to check the stats on the monitor and CPU when I get home.

Buy an EVGA GTX 1050 or 1060 6GB, new, from EVGA/Amazon/NewEgg. They're around $350 at most and really good cards, and if you got EVGA then you can use their Step-Up program to upgrade to a 1080Ti or whatever the next-gen top tier card is, for the difference in price between what you paid for the original card and the MSRP of the new card.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

I followed these directions as best I could, but it didn't help. The mod mentions having the .xml from VIS overwrite the one from DEF_UI, and I'm not sure how to have that happen in Mod Organizer.

Put VIS lower in the list of mods than DEF_UI. You can drag and drop to rearrange.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

turn off the TV posted:

How do you both plan to fully recreate a PC game in a different engine and also not realize that you don't have to redistribute the original voice files in order to use them?

Be a fan modder who doesn't know any better and thinks that making a utility to extract, then repack, the unencrypted files you need into the new engine's format (but only on the end-user's machine and needing the end-user to have a legally installed copy of those files) makes you legally culpable for any "piracy" or copyright charges that a known litigious developer might decide to throw at the project.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

buglord posted:

Any reason why Horizon fails to install through NMM? I get an immediate installed failed error. After some googling, it seems like NMM doesn’t like loading large mods? I feel like I’ve loaded much larger ones before though.

Any tips?

Use MO2: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

SO I'm trying to setup Mod Organizer 2 and whenever I go to download a mod it says Login Failed, and I can't login again through MO. Can I just use MO1 instead of 2 for Fallout 4 if there isn't a quick fix for this?

Nope. MO1 cannot handle F4. Try resetting your Nexus password maybe?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Azhais posted:

Yeah, I've ground some meat, but honestly that just annoys me even more when I do it :v:

That burger takes 12? 14? ground meat, a single unit of brahmin gives you 4 ground meat, at level 1 hunter it seems about 50/50 if you get that one unit of meat, so it's like 6 cows to make a burger. Or a fuckton of mole rats (like I was unable to make one after clearing out red rocket, the mole rat den, starlight, olivia, and the auto salvage yard).

I just need to get some vegetables planted. And figure out how one actually gets any harvest from said vegetables. And figure out why my settlement stuff keeps disappearing in general (every crop has vanished from sanctuary more than once, and my generators in hangman's alley are always broken about 30 seconds after I leave, as are the crops, and often the water purifiers)

I have an easy and elegant solution for how much ground meat a burger takes. Open up FO4Edit, copy the crafting recipe record into a new ESP, and change it from "12" to "1". Make sure that poo poo loads after Horizon and you're done.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Raygereio posted:

It was shutdown because they were stupid.
The rules for making the "Bethesda game A in Bethesda game's B engine" things has always been: One. Don't ask Bethesda permission, don't even contact Bethesda in any way whatsoever. Their automatic response will be a cease & desist, even if what you're doing is perfectly legal. And two. Don't package & distribute any files from the games themselves.
The FO3-in-FO4 project broke both rules.

The Fallout 4: New Vegas guys did freak out after the Capitol Wasteland guys stopped development, and now are apparently planning to record new voice lines for everything. Which is :psyduck:. It's both feasible and legal to make a tool that grabs the necessary files from New Vegas' install folder and does the necessary converting. I guess they're too freaked out, or don't want to make having New Vegas installed a requirement for the mod.

Someone somewhere tried to argue that that's not legal because "aiding in piracy" ( :psyduck: ) and people who buy the game are actually just buying a license and drivel drivel babble babble.

The F4 remakes of F3 and FNV could and should just extract and repack the audio files from an F3/FNV installation.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

There's a Horizon-friendly mod called Consistent Power Armor Overhaul which, IIRC, adds a modification for power armor to allow you to carry more poo poo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

DoubleNegative posted:

Speaking of power armor, there used to be a mod that gave the helmet visors a night vision effect that you could add on the frame workbench. But now I can't find it anywhere. Do any of y'all know what mod that was, or if it even still exists?

West-Tek Tactical Optics: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12220/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Propagandist posted:

Yeah, that's actually a better way of putting it, and that's what I'm trying to find out.

The reason being is: the guide says to do some stuff with F4CT, then do some stuff with BethINI. Then later in the guide says to add in some other stuff. I'm curious if I can go back and just run F4CT to edit some things, or if I need to repeat the BethINI and later steps after I run F4CT again.

I ran into all sorts of challenges with making sure my .inis were JUUUSSSTTT RIGHT in Skyrim, so I don't wanna play fast and loose with it in FO4.

F4CT allows you to customize your INI files. BethINI is used to back up the vanilla and modified INI files, so that if something breaks you can restore known good versions.