Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Backhand posted:

and then having him bitch at me for stealing a desk fan.
Weird -- for me, Nick always either said he was glad he wasn't the one carrying it, or offering to carry it, or (most often) saying "You must have a thing for antiques." (To which I invariably replied, "Yes, that's why I hang out with you, Nick.")

Anyway, Nick is the best. They certainly spent more time on him than they did on any of the other companions, and it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Midnight Voyager posted:

He did say "steal". Nick doesn't like stealing.
Ah, so he did. My apologies.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

aniviron posted:

I used Lowered Minuteman Expectations without issues and so did my roommate.
I used it too, and I think it worked without issues. It's hard to say: I assume that in the vanilla game, Preston also preferentially assigns you the Sanctuary "rescue a kidnapped settler from the Federal Ration Reserve" mission over literally everything else? Because that's what he did to me, over and over again. The last few times, the raiders hadn't even had time to respawn, so I was just strolling in, untying a dude, and strolling out.

I ended up triggering the Taking Independence mission using console commands because I was nearly 2/3rds of the way through the game and Preston hadn't said poo poo about it yet, but whether that was something glitched out in my savegame, something from the mod, or something else, I dunno. (It could've been my fault -- I never looked around Bunker Hill much, so I didn't get it as a settlement until after the battle there. The wiki said the mission is supposed to be given out when you've got 4 allied settlements including Sanctuary, but I had way more than that and it was still just endless "A settler has been kidnapped from Sanctuary!" bullshit from him.)

My dream mod for Preston would be one that had me tell him what mission he was going to give me. "Let's get new allies: what can we do for one of the unaligned settlements?" "Are we big enough to need our own headquarters yet?" "I feel like shooting something. Who's having ghoul trouble these days?" But AFAIK, you can't even do that with console commands, so I dunno if it's even possible for a mod to make that happen.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I got Fallout 4 and finished it in early 2017, and only recently re-installed it to start a new game and chill out/play Fah Hahbah and the other DLC, and I need some advice:

Is Sim Settlements worth installing?

More specifically, is it worth it for me to install it, given that:
- I hate the settlement system
- I don't want to build things using FO4's god-awful interface
- I don't care about any of the settlers, and I don't want to spend time managing them
- I'm mostly okay with keeping all my extra stuff in a toolbox at the Red Rocket
- but I like having lots of junk on hand to mod weapons and armor, and I remember that having a bunch of settlements connected with supply lines scavenging junk for me meant that I was the Garbage King of the Wasteland the first time I played

I can't quite tell from the mod's description and faq whether it's for me or not. I assume that it can't possibly be as terrible as the vanilla settlement system, but I don't know if it's actually good, or at least, good enough to justify whatever hassle goes into using it. What's the consensus here on that?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
Thanks to everyone for the good advice!

I threw Sim Settlements into my game with everything set to be as automatic as possible, and it's been hassle-free enough to make me not dread walking near settlements, speaking to Preston, or listening to Radio Freedom. (If I had one wish, it would be that mayors were entirely optional and towns would just build themselves as soon as I picked a city plan, but going through one awkward menu interface to assign a mayor is no trouble at all compared to having to deal with literally every part of the vanilla settlement system, so I'm fine with it.)

So far they're all low-population and I'm clearly going to have to run around and set up the supply lines for them eventually, but the initial experience has been good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

khy posted:

I'm too much of a control freak, it's horrible. I can't hand off building poo poo to my settlers because they might do it WRONG.

I've been rolling with SS for a while, and yeah, the settlers definitely will do some stuff wrong. I get weird glitchy poo poo like people not having enough beds or two buildings occupying the same space from time to time (usually running the "Refresh plots" tool in the city manager fixes those things, but not always?), and the included city plans absolutely require some kind of supply line network because some places overproduce food and others underproduce it.

BUT: it turns walking into a new settlement into a few minutes of "Okay, build a city planner desk, find a mayor, hook up a supply line, get back to the game" instead of an excruciating and seemingly never-ending trip into lovely workshop interface hell, and the cities they eventually build genuinely look good and work just fine, even if I end up having to actually visit some of them in person from time to time to try refreshing the plots to fix problems. Even if you don't use the plans or a mayor, just being able to slap down some foundations or a simple building and place the "Build residential areas HERE, you idiots" beacons would be worth it, I'd say.

I'd say if your control-freakiness is manageable to the point where you'd be happy just deciding what you want built and where it should be built without having to place every wall and bed and clutter object individually, then you should definitely give SS a try. It'll save you a ridiculous amount of time and frustration. And like Kiggles says, you can decide on a case-by-case basis which settlements you care enough about to micromanage personally, and which ones you 100% do not give a poo poo about and are fine with assigning a city plan and mayor to.