Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Falcon2001 posted:

I (and a couple others) get some pretty consistent CTDs with it unfortunately. Red Rocket is the specific area that does it for me, and it's my only real texture mod I've got installed at all.

There was a bad texture somewhere past the fallen tree on the way to Red Rocket that everyone had a problem with. He uploaded a new version that fixed it. There was also a workaround of deleting that specific texture. It's fairly stable for me now except for the framerate cost. Problem is I love the heavy forest so much now, I can't go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
There's a mod that gives all Railroad agents that Rebel outfit, which I thought fit their theme pretty well.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

This was a while back, but I had Realistic Ragdolls mod installed and I sniped a named raider walking across a bridge between two buildings, and he somehow glitched and rocketed into the sky with his arms and legs flailing. The great thing was it was a nice clear day, so I could watch as he turned into a tiny speck in the sky and I could see him as he came down as well. It was in that swampy area near Jamaica Town and his body splashed down right behind me. My 7 year old was watching me play, and we could not stop laughing for several minutes.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

So a few things from the last page or so:

I tried Horizon with the basic Start Me Up and it seems to work fine. I picked the option where it just skips the Pre-War intro and wakes you up in pod. I think it works ok, because it allows for the scripts to run after the mirror scene then asks you where you want to go.

Friffy's Just Holstered Mod was crashing at crafting menu for me too, so I just deleted it. there are a few other "weapons as attire" mods out there now, but nothing that covers most of the basics, so I hope the modder fixes it in the future.

And I use Sleep or Save in Survival. It works nicely since you can save at any bed you own, and works with the Camping mod with the bring your own sleeping bag. The only issue it it only lets you save out of combat, and I use that scripted More Spawns mods, so you really have to find a safe place. That mod clones a lot of mobs, and because of Horizon, they are much tougher. Right now, I'm only level 2 and Red Rocket is staked out by a herd of Radstag, several of them that are Skull level to me, and somehow they are extremely agitated, although not overtly hostile. I built a bed there just to have a save spot, but the RadStags keep trying to ram and headbutt me every time I walk thru. That actually happened on my first start, where I came right out of Vault 111 on the hill, and walked into a herd of Radstag, thinking they would just run away, but they trampled me dead.

The popular save mode was the Quicksave hotkey one and I used to use that, but many people were saying it was corrupting their save files. That didn't happen to me, but I found for some reason, it would inactivate from my game, and I had to keep reactivating it. So I removed it, and switched to Sleep and Save just to be safe.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Either Frost or Horizon for a survival overhaul. I tried out Frost but my camera kept going crazy during character creation, and the melee combat is really hard cause you can die in 1-2 hits(melee is really required because of how few bullets there are in the world). On the other hand, I'm really bad at melee, and never play melee in any Fallout game. It seemed like it's a good idea though, so maybe wait till a few revisions come out.

Playing Horizon now, and it's mostly done, with only a few things I don't like. I like how you eat less, especially if you eat your own cooked foods, but I don't like how it takes 6 pieces of meat and a vegetable to make one dish. He took out all the recipes that just require 1 piece of meat. So I have to hunt a herd of Radstag for just one meal.

Also, I now have 20 purified waters incoming and nothing in my scrap storage after a couple days, so I think I'm misunderstanding how to get purified water correctly. I've been living off radiated water, so I'm constantly at half health and rad(but I think this is by design for the rads, but I just can't seem to get purified water even when I built the purifiers for it)

On the other hand, you can create your own survival overhaul by getting all the little mods that change things up. I'd recommend both Fallout Loot Overhaul and More Spawns Scripted. Then one of the rebalance mods that equalizes damage much higher both with you and across enemies.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

I kind of like that. Makes the whole "survival" thing less trivial when you can't live on the spoils of a single mole rat ambush for three weeks. The one issue I have had is that I don't like managing settlements and it's drat hard to get the necessary greens from vendors and scavenging. Apparently none of the farming vendors in the vanilla game actually sell crops?

At any rate my particular problem is apparently getting rectified in the next patch with the addition of less nutritious recipes that only require meat, plus more vegetables available to vendors. No idea if it'll still require a "critical mass" of 4-6 pieces still tho.

I've had some issues with the water purifiers as well. Namely, they only seem to work when I am physically in the settlement, which is a bit of a pisser considering I'm based out of Hangman's Alley and went to a hell of a lot of effort to set one up in Taffington Boathouse. You wouldn't happen to have it set up in a Settlement with no Settlers, would you?

Oh, and have you tried just waiting 24h in the settlement like, right next to the purifier?

I thought he fixed that vendors selling crops issue. I know with versionm .993, the Abernathy farmers had a bunch of vegetables for me to buy. It's also the only place I could get vegetables to cook with the meat I had harvested, before I could grow my own. I'm also cheating a bit because I have the More Spawns mod, and when there would normally e 2-3 Radstag, there's like 6-8 of them instead.

And no, I haven't tried waiting back at the settlement for purified water. I'll try that, but if that's how it works, I would think that is a bug.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2016

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

whiteshark12 posted:

I'd be interested in this too, I love the green wasteland but I have a feeling the version of Res i'm using is the cause of most of my crashes.

I really liked Resurrection way back when it first came out and when I came back to FO4 recently, I found the combination of these three mods sort of gets there:

Regrowth (Trees everywhere, but I don't like the super high grass)
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9656/

Which is fixed by loading this mod afterwards
Spring in the Commonwealth
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10940/
which is a fairly normal grass mod, but it looks good with some nice wildflowers mixed in, and lowers the height of the grass from that first mod

And for added flavor, this mod
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10436/
which just makes the ivy on the buildings much nicer looking.

The above doesn't do the mossy buildings like Resurrection, but this is close enough, and I haven't had any weird bugs or missing textures. I remember I used to get purple buildings with Resurrection.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

Oh yeah, Horizon definitely requires adopting a resource-centric mindset. Gotta make sure every fight you pick and quest you go on gives more than it takes, so no punching mirelurks or diving for nickels.

(Also it just plain gets way easier after 10-15 hours when you start having some weapon options and enough caps to pay the doctors)

So I had a really tough time early in Horizon, but now that I'm level 5 and got the VANs extra perk points and was able to finally to get perks needed to get some basic survival needs like Antibiotics(I was constantly sick before). I've also learned to conserve ammo, by killing animals in melee(food too). And I now get Purified Water in my Scrap Storage, which I think he fixed in the last patch. I get 2 a day now, so I can make my own Antibiotics and Radaway(which is still only keeping me about 50/50 health/rad, but I take what I get)

Also, if I can I just run away from Mirelurks as they take way too much ammo to kill. The one under Concord cleaned me out of ammo, luckily I had Dogmeat to distract it. I felt bad the other day, because I was ambushed by Mireluks outside the movie theatre, and I just left Dogmeat there and climbed up the projector building till they ran away.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

FROST was way too hard for me. The character creation was very glitchy but when I finally got past that, I could not get very far because you die in one hit to everything. My primary way of killing things was throwing down mines, then running the hell away and hoping that explosion killed them.

I might try it again after a few more versions, because it's still a very cool idea.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I'm trying to figure out which mod is doing this, but randomly everyone, from mobs to companions will be surrounded by a red smoke. I can even see this thru walls. It will go away after awhile, so I'm not sure what is causing it. I thought it was that mod that made enemy targeting turn red when you put it on a helmet, but I uninstalled it and it still happens. And I don't even wear a helmet.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Scroll down, you probably are missing one of the vegetables. It doesn't show the scroll bar in DEFUI for some reason. I thought this was a bug too, until I realized I needed corn, and hadn't found any yet.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

So this is probably a bug, but I have We are Minuteman installed with Horizon, and occasionally when I use my Caravan Supply to fast travel(not sure if it's related, or just the time taken makes them show up for whatever reason, but I haven't used the flare gun at all), it summons a couple of Minutemen grunts who follow me around constantly. They won't zone into buildings with me, but they will follow me across the wasteland where ever I go. So somehow I had at least 6-8 Minutemen following me at one point, and I remembered there was a Super Mutant base near Diamond City that kicked my rear end when I was trying to get there from Vault 81 for the first time. I don't like fighting Super Mutants in Horizon, because they take more ammo to kill and I have to conserve it, and I have no success going melee with them.

So anyway, I decide to raid the Super Mutants with Preston and our squad of Minuteman. One of the Diamond City guards got brought into the battle as well. It was a crazy battle that was at least a several minutes long, considering the DC guard got down to less than 10% and he is skull level to me. All the minutemen got taken out, as they are all newbies with pipe pistols(It was a bit sad looting them afterwards, because the modder gave them random junk personal items, like one guy who had a baseball). I mostly hid and took pot shots with the few bullets I had, while hiding behind some barriers. One of the weird things with Horizon is that you have a lot less ammo, but all NPCs have unlimited ammo. I have a lot of .38 ammo, but my good weapons use .308 or .45 which I have had less than a dozen bullets each and I'm level 8.

The good news with Horizon is I have the food/water situation pretty much handled. I spent nearly all my Level 5 VANs perks on Perks that help me either get food, or help me make stuff, like antidotes, and I have one "Good" settlement and my other upcoming settlements are Ten Pines and Oberland, both with Caravan Supply stations where I can fast travel to(All my other settlements have 0 settlers). My Purified Water is coming in regularly at 4 a day now, and when I take a few days trips down to DC, I can come back and there's like 8-12 purified water waiting for me.
I have a machete and I hack up any RadStag of random Brahmin I see, as well as Molerats, so I have all kinds of cooked food now always with me.

The bad news is I kind of suck at shooting things, and I cannot melee actual bad guys(animals I do ok) for the life of me. I can kill most Raiders(haven't fought any gunners yet), but anything monster like I need to cheese them with various kiting tactics like sniping from far away and then mining their route to me.

That reminds me, I had another fun time defending Ten Pines from a horde of ghouls last night. The first try, I totally got mobbed when I tried to hide in the shack, because I could not reload fast enough, and the ghouls were literally throwing themselves into the little shack. I forgot to count, but it was about 20 of them with one skull level ghoul versus 3 settlers, piper, and me(I have More Spawns Scripted installed). Loaded a save, and second time around I built two pipe turrets on the roof, along with stairs to reach it, then removed the stairs right before the attack. It was also somehow dark and raining, so the perfect time for ghouls to attack. Good thing I don't set mortality on the settlers though as they and poor Piper got dog-piled while the turrets took out everything, and I took pot shots again from the safety of the roof.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I just started a survival run yesterday with Horizon, Armorsmith, Crossbows of the Commonwealth, the unofficial patch, and the Doomcannon Modular Simonov mod. Liking it a lot so far, lots of scrounging for bits and bobs, raiding out of hangman's alley and retreating to vault 88 once I'm all hosed up and need a doc.

The Reverb mod is amazing, and the Extended weapon mods makes pipe rifles even more bonkers with the machinegun thing.

Reverb and Weapons of Fate make long gun battles seem really visceral. I wear headphones when I play, and when I can hear and see the bullets raining around me, I'm hopping behind cover as soon as I can, scanning around for the shooters. And I play with Regrowth, so there are trees everywhere. Reminds me of that old shooter called Vietcong if anyone remembers that game.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

So I found out why I kept getting extra Minutemen and why I get red clouds on enemies. They are both from More Smarter Companions. Preston was using the Flare gun, and must always be shooting it off, which is why I was getting so many Minutemen grunts. And Dogmeat gets a find enemies ability, that shows me red clouds on everyone. I was a little behind in versions on that mod, so I'm hoping version 13 fixes their overuse of those abilities, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it, and at least both of those skills were working of a sorts, just my bad non-reading the full description of the mod getting me there.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

per Horizon talk, make sure you pick up those red Gas Canisters, I think they are 3 Liquid Fuel each. Also, outside of the Super Duper Mart in Lexington are a bunch of of Mr. Handy fuel canisters, which I think are another 3 Liquid Fuel(maybe 4). And since I've only been using for water production, I use 4 a day for the 4 x 10 water units I have up at Sanctuary. None of my other settlements have any Horizon stuff, and I won't be setting up elsewhere, so all my Liquid Fuel can go there. I did build a Lumber Mill because the quest said to(even though it says not implemented yet), but I took the settler off of it, because I don't need Wood.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

I'm having mad framerate drops playing FROST, and to a lesser extent Horizon and vanilla. What are some good performance mods that don't alter game asset so they're compatible with complete overhaul mods?

I get the same but only in downtown Boston, and I'm not sure if it's related to Horizon or one of the many other mods I have like Regrowth. Mine is so bad, that sometimes the world gets all blurry as all the textures somehow downgrade themselves, and sometime soon after my game crashes instantly to Windows. Then if I reload a save, I can run thru the same area fine, so I'm not sure what it is, and I can't duplicate it except that it only happens in the city.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

somehow, someway, this railroad coat is hosed up?? and if I open up my armor workbench it'll instantly crash, same if i try to inspect it, but it's not anywhere in my inventory and removing the itemID found through player.inv doesn't do anything as there is 0 of the item

is there some kind of uh, way out of this

Go into Steam and do a Verify files? Maybe find a mod that replaces the railroad coat and see if it fixes it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

horse mans posted:

I'm curious how adding new settlements work with existing mods that work with settlements. Is there a scripting function for "iterate over all settlements" or are they typically hardcoded? For example, Don't Call Me Settler has a function which auto assigns any idle settlers to any unassigned resources across the entire Commonwealth, and Horizon checks all settlements to see what resources each one produces.

I just re-rolled in Horizon, took my 10mm straight from the Vault to Concord, and one-shotted raiders in the head from full health, so it may not be Horizon that's causing that. Do you have any other mods installed which may be changing damage?

This is my experience too, and in fact because of the raiders having too much ammo, and much easier to kill than almost any monster type, are my preferred enemies. They are like bullet farms for me. Compare that to fighting any mirelurk, which take a ton of bullets to take down.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Came here to post that combo mod from m150. Hilarious nightmare fuel.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

e: Also, here are some cool mods:

Mod that turns the Commonwealth into a desert
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22868/

While this mod is cool, for some reason, they left vines everywhere just hanging there in midair.

This mode removes them all at least at a quick check around Sanctuary and Concord.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2063/

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

While this mod is cool, for some reason, they left vines everywhere just hanging there in midair.

This mod removes them all at least at a quick check around Sanctuary and Concord.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2063/

Another mod to add the original DustBowl mod, is this one that removes all Birds, because now there are no vines and trees, many birds are just suspended in the air sitting on nothing.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22338/

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

My favorite Weapons modder released his merged redux mod with all his current redone weapons.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23064/

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Terrorforge posted:

When playing Horizon you need to consider the cost/benefit ratio of every action you take. Early on you'll want to avoid a lot of fights not because you can't win but because winning won't earn you enough to replace the ammo and healing you used. Attacking animals and mutants is a particularly poor investment, especially beefier ones like Mirelurks. And hoard Adhesives, because they're used to craft absolutely everything, including vital bandages.

As for mods, it's mostly whatever aesthetic and quality of life ones you like. I find Sleep or Save completely essentially in any sort of survival run, and DEF_UI is pretty much a necessity. Just remember that Horizon has its own sorting mod, so don't try to combine it with VIS or anything like that because it will mess your items right up. I also like to use Journal of the Sole Survivor to keep track of all the recipes and stuff I need since there's no wiki or anything.

What I like about Horizon, is that it doesn't make the game super hardcore difficult like that Frost mod. All it does is take the vanilla game, and make things make more sense as far as resources. In Frost, I would be insta-killed by the beginning raiders. In Horizon, I don't really find combat to be a lot more difficult, although I do melee more, because of lack of ammo.

As TerrorForge said you gotta not only watch your ammo, but also your cooked food, purified water amounts, bandages, antibiotics, trauma kits, and antidotes. Since I cannot quick travel around(at least not easily, I don't have the cargo convoy stations built everywhere), I always have this decision point where I need think about turning back and resupplying at home base(Sanctuary for me) or keep going, but then have the problem of not having enough ammo or water for the return trip. There's been a couple of times where I made the wrong decision and crawl back into Sanctuary with half health, half radiation, only few bullets left for my weakest pistol and sometimes with a broken leg or poison on me. Either that, or have enough caps to pay a doctor to fix you up(Which he fixed now to make more sense, as you just pay what the doctor fixes scaled to your health/rads).

For example, one thing I do is hunt by machete any radstags I see, because I want to gather the meat for food, but I don't want to spend ammo. In the vanilla game, I pretty much ignored radstags. In Horizon, I'm the scourge of radstags, although a couple of times., I accidentally tried to melee a legendary skull level radstag who give me a good kick in the shins for my effort.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Nuramor posted:

So, how bad(good) an idea is it to combine Horizon with War in the Commonwealth?

I really don't like WOTC, because every 5 feet, there's another massive group of bad guys.

I'd get the following mods:

More Spawns Scripted
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11621/
This mod just doubles or triples current spawn points thru a script. So you don't have constant warfare, but you have a lot of mobs where they would normally spawn. Just be careful with this in Horizon, as I've fought ghoul lairs where I used every last bullet, and am swinging my machete backed into a corner, and barely alive because of it. This can also help you, as now there's tons of Raiders, and more ammo dropped from them. Also, more animals to hunt for food.

Then this mod
NPCs Travel
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16987/
This does exactly what it says and makes groups of NPCs travel, some of them even neutral to you. It brings a lot of like to the game, without making it seem unrealistic. This mod really helped me in Horizon, because the neutral folks will trade for you, and I've been saved from starving a few times by traveling hunters.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I just restarted playing after a 6 month break, and I am really enjoying Sim Settlements. I have this great riverside town in Sanctuary now, and the best thing is, Sim Settlements isn't something you have to micromanage(unless you want to), and I like having a town that somehow makes more sense and looks more like a real town. Also, having Mama Murphy open a pharmacy is hilarious.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

horse mans posted:

Myrna did not survive that poo poo. Percy or whatever the robot's name is, has been promoted to 24/7.

Good, I hate her paranoid rear end.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

So I've had this odd bug for the longest time, where randomly VATS will just lock up the game right after pressing the VATS button. I used to live with it because it wasn't that common, but somehow in the last day or so, it would happen about 1-2 an hour.

So I Googled it of course and found a couple of threads talking about it, and there's two lines of thought. One is it's some kind of cpu core issue, and adding this line:

iNumHWThreads=2 or iNumHWThreads=4 to Fallout4.ini under [General]
(depending on how many cores you have on your CPU)

The other thought is that it's some kind of sound error that causes the lockup, and some people say this mod will fix it:

Quiet VATS https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11468/

Well, not really patient enough to test one over the other, I have both in my game, and have not had VATS lock up yet. I also kind of like having that little blip sound for VATS now. I thought this might help any other folks having this error.

EDIT: Bonus Bug Fix. I have the other bug where The Castle doesn't allow me to place any objects on any of the concrete floors. Things just sink in and don't snap to the floor. It has something to do with how scrapping is enabled thru bUseCombinedObjects=0

So anyway there's a fix for it, and for some reason the Japanese modder wants you to download from his Google Drive. It worked ok for me, at least initially.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20558/

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 10, 2017

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

drat it, I was gonna play some Fallout 4, but ended up watching those Oxhorn videos till bedtime.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Are there any good mods that add more clothing/armor? I went through the first couple of hundred most endorsed ones on the nexus and literally all of it was "[X] but skimpy" or "[X] but recolored black" :sigh:

I know Bethesda games have always been known for the amount of lovely skimpy mods but I swear FO4 has the worst ratio of normal stuff to creepo stuff.

The Mercenary Pack: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20088/

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I just installed QWEST! and it's like an entirely new game. I even got premium for one month just to download the 800+ mods for it. There are a lot of little quirks, like how my Xbox gamepad refuses to work with it now(even with GamePad++), and how my character just randomly sits all the time and uses her shield as an umbrella. Also, the game crashes randomly after a couple of hours, and there's no way I'm gonna troubleshoot that with that massive amount of mods.

My son started a new game, first time playing Skyrim, and I just got him the top 30 or so mods that mostly just fix things or improve graphics and he's loving it.

EDIT: Oops this was meant for the Skyrim thread, I had both threads open at the same time, and got confused :)

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

I haven't played Frost in years, but I remember how all the humans are just labeled Survivor or something, and you have no idea if they are bandits or civilians.