Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I'm going to start modding some things... after starting Far Harbor, I want a boat and I'm not enthusiastic about the top offerings I've seen after a short search.

Thanks for this thread. It's already set me in the right direction.

I have the G.E.C.K. All is lost.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someday I'll catch that hapless idiot traveling between Oberland Station and The Red Rocket and redirect that supply line.

My Provisioner from Nordhagen Beach got caught and killed by the robots at East City Downs, so I had to retool my supply lines a bit anyway.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

What?? They can get killed? Do you have to be near them and witness it for it to happen or does it just.. happen?

I was involved in the fight, but they can get killed permanently if you're around.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Even when I sent Preston to The Castle in the set of Minuteman T-45 I made for him, he just dumped it at the fuckin' gate of the Castle and started loving about with the razorgrain field...

It's like, dude, I thought it was clear that I want you up on the walls patrolling in that fuckin' armor, not shucking oats.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah then no way am I going to mess with that nonsense.

I'm already often running at 90% GPU and often 80% CPU even without those terribly optimized bolt on tiddies.

I suspect that there is no easy way to really deal with clipping properly, so settlement expansion mods are probably rendering everything, even the poo poo that's occluded.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, I don't think that $ was there before!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Berke Negri posted:

unless something mundane like unofficial patch adds it i think fo4 always had the $ for CC though skyrim doesnt iirc

i will say I like the CC content for various faction armor paired with the mod creation club faction overhauls which together feels like something that should have been in the base game (obv ymmv on money spent)

though the captain cosmos quest is probably the first thing that truly felt worth the money that was a decent quest of just about right amount of length for a bunch of new loot, not like the early showings that was just hey go kill or loot this person/thing for new item. also it kind of actually added some interesting lore about the whole captain cosmos show

the solar cannon quest was pretty good if short though the actual weapon was kind of just a gimmick but it does seem like fo4 creation club is slowly getting almost worthwhile new content while the skyrim one is just in the weeds

edit: like skyrim has mostly been spared of like fo4's CC worrying things like time limited whatever skins of things or 300 dog skins but theres been some decent actual quests put out meanwhile skyrim CC is like very lore friendly but also we'll put out something in like six month intervals and its mostly go find bandit and kill them for loot. hopefully trainwiz' skyrim CC will be cool

Nah, I had a screenshot pre-mod to check against to be sure, but I'm not going to go through the trouble to see which mod is being snarky.

I think it's cool that content can be vetted and tested for console players and they can enjoy fan made stuff like we've always had on PC, which I think is the most important part of the CC. It's not all about me.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 14, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's already a thing in vanilla? I've played most of my survival playthrough with my only mod being that dirty water drops into workshops on the daily tick instead of purified.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

drat Horizon is rough. I thought I built a water purifier but it chucks out dirty water. Ok I guess I need a resource management table. Oh I need a cargo bot to make that. Says I need a Robotics Lab right there in the documentation. Only I can't build that anywhere. I even found a YouTube video of a guy opening the menu and selecting it. Turns out l actually need a Tech Lab. I guess it changed at some point.

I guess the mod author really wanted water to be difficult, but it's not that hard to distill some god drat drinkable water.

He had ideas, y'all.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 15, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Any of you know about a mod that would highlight which material components an item is made of / contains when simply looking at it? I've searched through NMM with "scrap" "material" "content" "components", etc. but can't find anything satisfactory.
It's not really a necessity, but good god, it should cut down on the time I spend picking up junk, checking what components it has, and then possibly dropping it again, or trying to make a mental note that I don't need to look for it again

FrostyJones posted:

DEF_UI does this.

Also the perk Scrapper at 2 or 3 will highlight items on the ground/containers that have components that you have tagged to search via the crafting menu. I thought it was a UI bug for a while.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have absolutely no idea how people play without quick saving every 10 seconds.

Have you ever played roguelikes? Do you remember old video games with 3 lives and no save functionality at all? Survival mode is not even ironman permadeath. We have save points!

Gamers get too used to save scumming as a normal part of gameplay and never experience any loss or regret, nor ever have any feeling of satisfaction because of a risk overcome. It becomes all about immersion or progression, both of which miss the point of an RPG.

I RP all of the deaths like they are prophetic nightmares.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 22, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only if you are irrationally hung up on your delusions of progress.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The bladed tire iron is one of my favorites.

There are also standalone shivs by the same guy who did the pipe shotgun: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11601/

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
LoL, my active Skyrim character is a Khajit chillusionist specced into Calm, lol. It is fun running around and pacifying everyone. I mean I do have to lay the smackdown on the occasional Draugr, but resto is a real discipline, yo!

Berke Negri posted:

is there a mod that lets you have a no fuss connection to other settlements in home plate

id love to just have that be my play house dream house while sim settlements take care of everything else but modifying anything else without having the other 30 settlements workbenches hooking me up is a pain

The merchants in DC usually have a good supply of junk to scrap for mods. I actually just had the opposite problem where I dropped a shipment of 50 Aluminum at Home Plate without thinking and forgot to grab it before I headed out. Is Arturo the only vendor in the Commonwealth who sells shipments of Aluminum? But who am I kidding, I spent the first 25 levels mostly walking from place-to-place in Power Armor to conserve fusion cores so I am so totally abnormal wrt Fallout 4, so my sensibilities of what is annoying in Fallout 4 is probably way out of the norm.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
"THE QUEEN'S ENGLISH OR NOTHING AT ALL!"

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
That or Disable them in the console. It's the same with the bollards at Starlight, but when I thought about it from a respectful angle instead of assuming it was developer incompetence or negligence, it seems like good low hanging fruit to entice people into modding. I realized that about the boarded up houses too... they explicitly leave that space for modders. It's actually a great way to build a game that comes with a creation kit attached.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
See-Through Scopes may be what you are looking for https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11253/

I tried it, but I like being able to steady my aim with AP and this takes away that option.

edit: Oh also I found that zooming out one tic into third person made aiming a lot easier when the sights were being a pain in the rear end.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 24, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nalesh posted:

That scope is from that mod.

Also speaking of mods, I seem to remember a mod that allowed you to turn the 10mm/N99 into an smg like thingy, which mod was that and is there a horizon patch for it?

Oh, well then idk. I quit using it too but I don't mind the vanilla sights.

You may need to figure out how the 3d scopes framework works and zero your own sights.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nalesh posted:

Come to think of it I've never actually used followers in fo4 due to bad experiences in skyrim, what mods are needed to make em bearable?

The level 2 Inspirational perk and not being squeamish about using [refid].moveto player as needed has been pretty good for me, but also not giving a gently caress and letting them teleport on their own worked for most of the game. They spam grenades pretty heavily even in stupid situations to spam grenades, like vs ferals and molerats, so only load them up with grenades when you want them to be used, but I think I still have a couple dozen frag grenades stashed at home plate so it's not like I'm running low on munitions.

I ran Piper in her own suit of Power Armor a lot and she rarely went down unless it got really hairy and was generally useful, at least as a distraction. One protip is to use T-51 for them even though it isn't as good as T-60 because it only needs steel to repair the limbs. Aluminum is my only scarce lategame resource once I got my vegan glue farms going strong.

edit: I post that, hit Vault 88 tonight and get 100 Aluminum just like that.

edit2: Holy poo poo this place is huge.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 25, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was running with partial T-60 almost immediately when they started spawning at level 21 and spent most of the game in partial X-01. I was playing a low AGI power armored rifleman in Survival, so I was taking hits. I was burning Aluminum to keep my armor up and running for most of the game. Also, I don't even know what you mean by "the canneries" and I didn't loot much in the Institute because "role playing." Vault 88 just took me from maybe a dozen units to more than a hundred, which is a good stash to have. I may have a shipment stashed in Home Plate, I forgot if I left it there or dropped it at a connected settlement, but I haven't taken the time to check.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are a few save-the-game mods. Here's one attached to an item.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12593/

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a way to mod the keyboard bindings so that Interact isn't used for goddamn everything? I'd like to be able to use the Havok interaction key without leaping out of my power armor every time the game decides that I'm not aiming at that object just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

HORMELCHILI posted:

Hey cannabis commonwealth is the single best fallout 4 mod

I actually use the simpler one that just has a few plants/planters based on open source models that I can harvest from instead of all of that bloated nonsense in cannabis commonwealth.