Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I just started a survival run yesterday with Horizon, Armorsmith, Crossbows of the Commonwealth, the unofficial patch, and the Doomcannon Modular Simonov mod. Liking it a lot so far, lots of scrounging for bits and bobs, raiding out of hangman's alley and retreating to vault 88 once I'm all hosed up and need a doc.

The Reverb mod is amazing, and the Extended weapon mods makes pipe rifles even more bonkers with the machinegun thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Elem7 posted:

Around 12 hours into a Horizon game now and not sure how I feel about it. The survival bit definitely provides some atmosphere and does a good job of slowing down the game progression and forcing you to actually care about settlements, that's all good. I don't think I like the combat though, many enemies are still bullet sponges, especially synthetics, and once you start dealing with anything other than raiders the enemy damage output rises sharply making the whole scarcity of healing items honestly just a pain in the dick. I'm not swimming in ammo exactly but it's definitely not what's holding me back, it's the lethality of enemies and all my adhesives going to bandages.

It feels cheaty but I think I'll have to use a difficulty mod to up my damage because I just killed Kellogg and that entire sequence was frustrating not fun, even using a .308 rifle took multiple shots to the head to kill anything.

Edit: Maybe my Horizon actually broke somehow on the other hand, all of a sudden even bloatflys were taking multiple hits from a 40 damage melee weapon when I'm pretty certain 1 hit from the start baton at like 18 damage used to nearly kill them. I don't know what to blame other than Horizon itself, it's at the end of my load order and I don't believe any of the other mods I have loaded even change difficulty/hit points.

Sometimes that just kinda happens. Remove everything from your fallout 4 install and reinstall everything from NMM.

I'm currently level 25, and it wasn't too hard to get there. Backpack mods are required, strong back is handy, so is lone wanderer. Get a decent melee weapon for anything not-human, and a high powered gun for humans in the early game.

Trick for me was to find a high power weapon via sheer luck (I got a scoped overcharged fierey institute rifle from doing the BoS intro quest with Danse at like level 6) which lasted me until I got a .308 hunting rifle and an r91 off a legendary raider. I also modded in the R91 rifle, which was my go-to, but it's pretty on-par with the rest of the Horizon guns, so the handmade rifle or combat rifle would also work there.

Combat is all about picking your fights. You ideally want to be far enough back and around a corner such that only one person is shooting at you, and do so from cover that only allows them to pop out of it in one direction. Once you learn where the magical headshot spot is, you can just wait for the raiders to line up and die. I can clear basically any human or super mutant filled area that way with minimum health loss and maybe 2-3 bullets per dead guy max. Loot everything not nailed down and hoof it back to a dropoff spot at a settlement.

Once you have settlements set up, you can get a caravan beacon network going and always end up sorta-close to whatever interests you, except for Virgil.

Get scrounger to find more bullets, my expensive rear end .50 API and 308 habit are currently being fed by the 2-5 .38 and 45-70 I find in every over filing cabinet, along with the usual ammo boxes and whatnot. Take medic to make the medicated bandages. Adhesive is the precious resource there, so getting ~2x the healing for the same 1 glue is really handy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Backhand posted:

Pipe weapons are at least halfway decent if you are specialized for full auto. For whatever reason, they have an insanely high rate of fire with automatic receivers. They're still inferior to, say, an assault rifle, but they make a good option for when you don't want to waste the good stuff.

Yeah, but in horizon you cook down the .38 to make more .308 or .44 mag.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

OwlFancier posted:

https://i.imgur.com/h4Qe3E1.mp4

E: this is not the awesome/awful mods thread. But I beg you to crosspost it because that is loving terrifiying.

Botox addict trying to show human emotion..