Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And the above goes double for you. It's alright to be new and inexperienced, but you'll definitely want to play through the demo and get a feel for how the game is played. You can certainly be hands off, but you'll have to keep a keen eye on what you want each platoon to accomplish, if those goals are being adequately communicated to your underlings, and if they actually have the resources to accomplish what you want them to achieve.

Also if anyone's interested, have a link to the most recent one of these games-Combat Mission: Black Sea (Bit of a curbstomp, but still pretty illustrative of what to do and what not do do)

Don't worry, I did, and I even managed to get through the training mission just fine! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Davin Valkri posted:

Don't worry, I did, and I even managed to get through the training mission just fine! :downs:

:patriot: Good enough for me!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nobody listen to this. It might be more "fun" for the observers, but for actually playing the game knowing what your units can and cannot do is an absolute godsend for both planning and understanding what's going on. Everybody owes it to themselves to at least play around with the demo to get a feel for the system, and to look at a few of the other LPs to see how the game is played. Trust me, after having played in the last three of these games (Plus offshoots), they're a lot more fun when both sides know what's going on.

Don't trust him, it's a trap.

More seriously, the ideal situation, I suspect, would be one where all players entered into the game with a similar lightheartedness, with a passing knowledge of the history, but without more than passing knowledge of the mechanics.

Discussing the scenario instead of fixating on the mechanics makes the game less toxic and improves player retention (a massive problem with prior LPs), as the bar of involvement is less lofty.

As long as there is a competent person to enter the orders for each side, as opposed to Grey Hunter's affable malice, each participant doesn't need to be a master of the game.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Nice. I have a request, though. Could you do a map with major contours every 10m and minors every 2m? The reason being that 2m contours will show the features that can hid a standing person while also crowding the map less.

I live to serve

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Merry Marauder posted:

Don't trust him, it's a trap.

More seriously, the ideal situation, I suspect, would be one where all players entered into the game with a similar lightheartedness, with a passing knowledge of the history, but without more than passing knowledge of the mechanics.

Discussing the scenario instead of fixating on the mechanics makes the game less toxic and improves player retention (a massive problem with prior LPs), as the bar of involvement is less lofty.

As long as there is a competent person to enter the orders for each side, as opposed to Grey Hunter's affable malice, each participant doesn't need to be a master of the game.

The problem is that while you certainly don't have to be an expert, or to even have played the game, knowing the basic mechanics is still pretty important. Nothing's more frustrating than issuing a "Slow" command thinking it's a good decision, only to find out you're not getting anywhere and everyone's exhausted by the end.

Basically, what makes these games fun is setting a plan in motion and seeing if it succeeds or fails due to the actions of the other team-not watching everything collapse because you didn't know you should have used (X) movement command.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Each side should do a crash course and get people up to speed before playing. Playing the demo should be strongly encouraged.

If you're not as experienced with tactics or the game mechanics, you should ask questions and look for feedback from other players who have that experience.

But you should still join!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Probably should gesture to the one that wasn't inherently unbalanced, the German-Soviet bash one, and not the Black Sea one of all things.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

At no stage did my Great-Uncle Sam put on his posters "Some experience required". The American infantry sure could use you and doesn't care whether you always get lost on the way to the mailbox or if you can make a ration pack cheesecake on a dark night with one hand still holding onto your rifle. Primers of the three most important types (Zinc chromate, Springfield 30-06 and studyin') will be supplied.

abelian posted:

I live to serve

Awesome, thanks! I spent so much time doing the one for Red Thunder.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 12, 2016

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Looks like Americans are having trouble getting infantry sign ups.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Part of the reason I made the game small is so people didn't need to play the demo or have the game. I wanted to reduce the level of individual responsibility and make the initial info dump smaller. Really all people need to do in this game is use the grid map to tell me where to send their men, maybe tell me which way they want them to face, and that is it. There will be several turns at the start where people can get a feel for how the men move in game. By the time we get to the point of infantry assaults I feel most people will have a handle on things, or be dead. The complexity is low on this one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Please don't think I'm trying to discourage anyone from playing-I'm not, and I hope anyone who's even remotely interested in this game signs up to die gloriously under my command. I'm just saying that it's important for people to either have access to the game or people who have experience playing it, so that everyone is able to have a baseline idea of what their units can and can't do right from the get-go.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I read the previous lps and near as I can tell the most common pitfalls are the "slow" movement command that you mentioned (it's actually a command for careful, exhausting, incredibly slow movement and not the leisurely pace that most people guess it would be) and firing arcs, which basically restricts your unit's AI when it comes to returning fire/firing on encountered enemies from unexpected directions. In most situations either of these orders is probably a bad idea. If people stay away from those two orders they'll mostly be fine as far as learning the quirks of the game.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

So on the American side, do we have anyone who owns the game?

Since signups are slowing down, perhaps we should reorganize a little bit and put the platoon commanders in charge of their first squads as well. Controlling a 9 player company is also a bit more practical than a 12 player company.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Bumping for posterity.

Im happy to switch teams if we need to balance, also a count of people that own the game would be pretty handy.

I've yet to cave to pressure, mainly because the idea of downloading another 5 gig game off battlefronts servers is causing me spasms.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I don't have the game. I don't mind being shuffled around in the name of balancing the teams.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I'll make the two side threads today or tomorrow. I'll have a run down of the commands and an example on posting commands. We should probably create two google excel sheets where people can link their orders for easy viewing.

I will also reveal your units, hopefully this will draw a couple more in. Once all that gets done we can shuffle around the last bit and get this baby started.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I don't have the game right now, but I've been thinking about getting it anyway so if no one else on our team has it I'll probably pick it up.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well I shall be the first to reveal that I do own the game and would be happy to help my team were necessary.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I've signed up for first squad, first platoon of the American forces. Let me be the first to admit that Sergeant First Class Corbett doesn't have a goddamned clue what's going on, and is about to get us all killed.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 13, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've got the game, too. I haven't actually played it much, but the allure of blowing up weird late-war nazi gadgets in the snow was too much to resist.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm just really hoping that my tank destroyer turns out to be a Jagdtiger so I can laugh at puny allied tanks efforts to kill me.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Saros posted:

I'm just really hoping that my tank destroyer turns out to be a Jagdtiger so I can laugh at puny allied tanks efforts to kill me.

I hope it's a Jagdtiger so that the first time we bounce a shell off your hide, your crew panics and runs for the hills and takes your big gun out of the fight :cheeky:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well yeah admittedly that is the more likely outcome, or it breaks down trying to climb a gentle slope.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna end up with a Panzer II aren't I?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Jaguars! posted:

So on the American side, do we have anyone who owns the game?

Since signups are slowing down, perhaps we should reorganize a little bit and put the platoon commanders in charge of their first squads as well. Controlling a 9 player company is also a bit more practical than a 12 player company.

I don't have the game at the moment but will probably go ahead and get it since I was going to anyways.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
How about we add a star next to our name in the signup sheet if we have a copy of the game?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saros posted:

Well yeah admittedly that is the more likely outcome, or it breaks down trying to climb a gentle slope.

Doe CM model operational reliability?

If no, I don't consider it sufficiently groggy.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Is the Jagdpanther in Final Blitzkrieg? They didn't make many but it always seemed like it was the best TD design the Germans made. Probably because it's closest to the Soviet designs in that it isn't absurdly tall.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Doe CM model operational reliability?

If no, I don't consider it sufficiently groggy.

I don't think so (because otherwise Panthers and Tigers would just become non-functional at some point in any battle), but it does model difficult terrain and different vehicles having different speeds and chances of bogging down. On my playthrough of the demo, one of my Greyhounds didn't do anything for the battle because it drove into deep snow at the starting point on the first turn and became stuck. I ended up having the crew bail out and join an infantry squad to provide extra firepower from a building.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Another CM game? Unfortunately I'm working intensily almost the whole summer but at least get to have the observer experience now. Good luck you filthy krauts!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
By the way, the snowy landscapes in Final Blitzkrieg are more bog prone than some of the other CM titles. Something to keep in mind.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Silly question for someone who's not familiar with exactly how this LP works: how will I be giving orders? Telling you where to move my guys, or will I need to draw lines on a map or something like that? Also, for those of us that have the game, could you make the map file available so I can load it in the game and get a better feel for the terrain?

Velius posted:

Is the Jagdpanther in Final Blitzkrieg? They didn't make many but it always seemed like it was the best TD design the Germans made. Probably because it's closest to the Soviet designs in that it isn't absurdly tall.

Yeah, it's in the game. "Best" is subjective for sure, but the Jagdtiger rarely gets a mention in the "good" or even "mediocre" categories. Size, reliability, mobility, speed, and a main gun that would knock itself out of alignment during off road travel all conspired to make the Jagdtiger nothing more than a novelty in the annals of tank destroyer history.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Don't forget that you had to lock the gun in place for movement or the shaking would wreck the mount! Unlocking it required a crewman to climb outside the tank!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Gewehr 43 posted:

Silly question for someone who's not familiar with exactly how this LP works: how will I be giving orders? Telling you where to move my guys, or will I need to draw lines on a map or something like that? Also, for those of us that have the game, could you make the map file available so I can load it in the game and get a better feel for the terrain?

Yes and possibly, respectively. Let's imagine I'm your Company commander, and I give you orders to advance into a forest. What'll happen from there is that you'll give specific orders to your platoon command team (i.e. MOVE to the edge of the forest at grid square H7, then HUNT towards the other side), and then give some slightly more vague orders for the people controlling your squads to follow. Maps aren't always necessary, but they're definitely helpful-especially when you want a unit to move to a specific location, or you've got a particularly complex set of orders in mind.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Gewehr 43 posted:

Also, for those of us that have the game, could you make the map file available so I can load it in the game and get a better feel for the terrain?

The map comes with the game in "Quick Battle Maps\Open-Forest (800 x 800) 173m.btt"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I should note, that while I've got Red Thunder and have played many matches, I seem to reliably get my poo poo pushed in through tactical errors on the larger scale. So platoon command seems like good poo poo for me, where I can learn some more and not gently caress poo poo up for my fellow goons.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok starting to get the side threads online. American one is up with axis to follow. Will be revealing units as I get them in lpix.

For those that want to sign up there is still time, just throw your name in the sign up sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZZ3ZPC1O_TPOBF1KMM1xt92ipw4VLjtcStAsUgmAZTM/edit#gid=0
Head to the thread of your choice! We need more people!

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 14, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I'll happily command American Section 1, 3rd Platoon into a horrific slaughter brilliant display of courage with my complete lack of knowledge about this game beyond half-remembered previous LPs innovative mindset and tactical derring-do!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Aww yes, I'll be watching this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Saros posted:

Don't forget that you had to lock the gun in place for movement or the shaking would wreck the mount! Unlocking it required a crewman to climb outside the tank!

Isn't this pretty much normal for vehicles with long heavy guns? It doesn't matter in combat but for long approach marches you want to lock the gun in place, not the least for crew safety reasons.

• Locked thread