Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

My only complaint coming out of the film was a disconnect between movie time and real time. Jesse definitely seemed like an ingenue at the beginning, but her transformation, specifically in that scene where she shruggs off her "boyfriend" at the restaurant, seemed to happen too quickly from the viewer's perspective, like there needed to be 15 minutes of scenes in between.

I thought this was pretty obvious. She's this doe-eyed, innocent virgin who doesn't understand the ruthlessness of the business or how good-looking she is. The photoshoot with the creepy Terry Richardson guy makes her start becoming aware of her own beauty/power, which gets followed by the audition for that designer (her attempt to be supportive/sympathetic is met with getting her hand sliced open and Sarah trying to drink her blood). Once she does the fashion show with Gigi and gets picked to close, she sees the triangles (I guess this is the neon demon in the title?), sees herself in them making out with her own reflection, and then switches over to the 'darker' personality (which is symbolized with the shift from blue to red in the film's colours). At that point she becomes fully aware/accepting of her power, and turns into the narcissistic/icy personality for the rest of the movie.

I didn't think this was done too quickly, they dedicated an entire ridiculous sequence to it and started that build from the beginning of the movie. I think the issue is that it doesn't feel earned or "natural" (hard to use that word given how hyperstylized all of it is, but I'm talking about the progression).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread