Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Power of Pecota posted:

Can someone explain what happened with Ruby at the end? Was that like some kind of metaphorical childbirth?

The moon, madness and menses are the Triforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Anyone have walkouts?

Our theater had one couple leave during the necrophilia scene

No, but I saw it early enough that I'm fairly sure I was the only person in the theater.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

General Dog posted:

It's supposed to be weird that everybody who meets Elle Fanning is so enraptured with her, right? I know beauty is subjective, but it's hard for me to look at her, and look at everyone else in the movie and think "this girl is objectively next-level, otherworldly beautiful". I don't think I'm meant to. So what is it that they see in her? Is she really just fresh meat?

Its literally that she is an underage virgin. Everyone can smell it on her.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anal Surgery posted:

edit: Question about the last 20 minutes of the film: Ruby's last scene in the film is basically her submitting herself to the Moon (wisdom, the divine feminine, whatever) and then she spreads her legs and is... giving birth? Menstruating? I know Moon and Menses are a theme but what did you all take that scene to signify/imply/evoke?

Renewal. Menstruation is not just generative but regenerative as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If that's the case, what would you be doing at Cannes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Ahaha I just learned Refn is colourblind.

When I learned this, everything about the way all of his movies looks makes perfect sense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Christina Hendricks' character seems to have more power than anyone else, but she's kind of a non-entity outside of her one scene.

I think her character looms over the film as its only mother figure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought they did a phenomenal job of picking three girls with the same basic look that look completely different.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Predators are everywhere, Ruby is a superior predator (and has a stuffed mountain lion in her house), Jessie learns a lesson about keeping her door locked to keep a predator out. Mountain lion/spirit animal helps save her from Keanu while missing the real threat. There's more to go into there but that's fine on the surface.

It's also one of those things that Refn is really good at, obliquely implying backstory, like the part where Jessie puts her face to the wall to listen in on what's going on next door.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 6, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

As seen earlier in the film, he's really, really bad at opening doors.

You know something, I didn't initially notice that this is how the mountain lion got in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

King Vidiot posted:

I liked what they did with Under the Skin, but I read the book prior to the movie and I also kind of still want a straightforward narrative movie based on the text of the book. Because it's good sci-fi drama.

I like what they did with the movie, in the book, Isserly is more at home in the UK because where she comes from she's already this dreary civil servant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

General Dog posted:

Is Ruby fantasizing about Jesse while she fucks a corpse, or is Jesse fantasizing about Ruby loving a corpse? I think either is possible, or maybe both.

Jesse puts her face to the wall and hears Ruby loving a corpse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Proposition Joe posted:

Well if this got us The Neon Demon and Bloodborne then I don't see the problem.

For real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

King Vidiot posted:

Thanks to this deleted scene, the argument about who was really trying to get into Jesse's room can finally be laid to rest: (linked for huge) http://imgur.com/B5aG2S5

"Styrofoam cup! Bad for the environment."

• Locked thread