Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Saw the movie today the way it was meant to be seen- alone, in a a completely empty threater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's supposed to be weird that everybody who meets Elle Fanning is so enraptured with her, right? I know beauty is subjective, but it's hard for me to look at her, and look at everyone else in the movie and think "this girl is objectively next-level, otherworldly beautiful". I don't think I'm meant to. So what is it that they see in her? Is she really just fresh meat?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

I took it to be that people obsessed over her youth rather than her beauty. So much of the film revolves around fear of aging and mortality that I thought it was Elle's babyish face that was hooking people

edit: Question about the last 20 minutes of the film: Ruby's last scene in the film is basically her submitting herself to the Moon (wisdom, the divine feminine, whatever) and then she spreads her legs and is... giving birth? Menstruating? I know Moon and Menses are a theme but what did you all take that scene to signify/imply/evoke?

Yeah, the youth was kind of what I meant by "fresh meat". It's really the only thing that separates her from the rest. Despite what her printer-toting friend tells her, she is pretty much a personality void.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

But then what makes her different from any other 16-year-old model?

It's possible that she's not, and that this isn't anybody's first rodeo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

My only complaint coming out of the film was a disconnect between movie time and real time. Jesse definitely seemed like an ingenue at the beginning, but her transformation, specifically in that scene where she shruggs off her "boyfriend" at the restaurant, seemed to happen too quickly from the viewer's perspective, like there needed to be 15 minutes of scenes in between.

I don't think she'd have aimed to get into modeling to begin with if she didn't already have a certain level of narcissism. But yeah, the part where she encounters the titular Neon Demon is definitely her "falling to the dark side" moment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

"Genuinely loved" seems a bit strong for someone she murders in cold blood.

Yeah, I wondered for a while if she always intended to kill and eat Jessie, or only decided to do it after her advances were rejected. Ultimately I decided it was beside the point, she always intended to consume her, whether it was to be figuratively or literally was almost an afterthought. It didn't matter if she was sex or food, in this movie's universe they're the same thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

My only complaint coming out of the film was a disconnect between movie time and real time. Jesse definitely seemed like an ingenue at the beginning, but her transformation, specifically in that scene where she shruggs off her "boyfriend" at the restaurant, seemed to happen too quickly from the viewer's perspective, like there needed to be 15 minutes of scenes in between.

I think she only ever valued him for the attention he gave her. The second she found a much more potent, gratifying form of attention, he was disposable. His praise, his eyes, his camera, they were amateur hour. She's in the big leagues now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

Am I the only one who took the mentions of her parents being non-entities and Jessie talking about how her mother said she was dangerous as a potential build-up to Jessie being some sinister person the whole time, and maybe revealing she killed her own parents? Maybe it was only because of how quickly she made the turn to The Demon side and how she had those weird precognitions but I thought right up til the climax that we'd have a reveal that there was something not quite right about her, even beforehand.

The ending was alright but I was left feeling deflated at how stupid Jessie was, acting like an rear end in a top hat after the pool scene and then just getting hosed up for it. She treated the others like poo poo but never expected vengeance for it?

I was expecting a murdered her famil twist as well. I think in the end the point of her parents being dead just made her seem more vunerable, and that made her that much more appealing to the creeps surrounding her.

As far as the ending, I don't think it's fair to expect Jessie to anticipate being murdered and eaten no matter how much of an rear end in a top hat she is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

THORIUM posted:

Still not sure why everyone is so sold on witchcraft having to do with anything here? Did they light a bunch of candles and make a ritualistic sacrifice? No. They just ate the girl.

Jenna Malone gets naked and worships the moon and then releases an improbable torrent of blood from her vagina. Also she has a bunch of weird tats. They're on some weird poo poo.

There's always a spiritual element to cannibalism. Who's ever heard of an atheist cannibal?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 28, 2016

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The screenplay for this movie is so loving bad. Some of the lines, my god.

Refn should stick to directing other people's screenplays.

*in Maude Lebowski voice* The story is ludicrous

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it so strange to collect movies of someone you like? I mean, it's a little different than liking a director but not so crazy.

No, but it's strange to give them their own section in your DVD collection. If I visited anybody's house and saw that, I'd assume they were another John Hinkley waiting to happen. If you're obsessed with an actress, okay, but don't hang a lantern on it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

eats-almonds posted:

when I saw Inherent Vice I thought Joaquin Phoenix was Leonard from Big Bang Theory. Very embarrassing.

Also, I don't think it's been talked about at all, what was up with the MOUNTAIN LION?

She left the door open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is Ruby fantasizing about Jesse while she fucks a corpse, or is Jesse fantasizing about Ruby loving a corpse? I think either is possible, or maybe both.

• Locked thread