Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Moat's pretty laid back about the all the heat coming his way, I dunno if that's his personality?

Some of his calls were unsubstantiated and vague, but I have trouble seeing that as a hard scumtell.

If I had the same amount of focus on me, I'd probably react the same way. Getting tree-stumped isn't terrible, and I'm not the power role.

Sure, we'd lose out on an arsonist lynch, but that's highly likely to happen anyways, and at least our power role is still out there.

So, of the two (AA and Moat) I'm less suspicious of Moat, though that's because of how cool he's playing it and could be a misread.

AA is playing much more defensively. As soon as he had some attention on him, his hackles were raised.

He's a higher risk, higher reward "target" in that he's not responding like a tree would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Yeah, when I saw the conversation I was like, is the toxx smiley not loading or what?

Pretty sure we're all cool so long as it doesn't show up again, and at least it serves as an example of what is and is not okay.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

A slap fight arose on how we should play the game(which for the record, I think is scummy in hindsight, Max and Adahn both end up mafia dadding and dictating the best way for us to play) and I point out that their were valid points from each viewpoint.

Waiting for others to weigh in on the matter, when more than half of our 9 player playerbase had not checked in is not inherently scummy, and trying to mediate what seemed like the beginnings of a town slapfight is not either.

My suggestion was missing a crucial point, which was that there's a good chance of lynching scum without the help of power roles.

Everyone but you picked up on this rather innately, so we're left with the question of why you responded differently.

As for me, I've played many more games face-to-face than I have on the forums, so not being able to read people's expressions has me grasping for power roles, fake claims, and other tangibles. I also haven't gotten used to the 'joke phase' and have slipped up because of it.

I see that you're now hedging by saying that if you get lynched you'll still be around due to getting tree-stumped (per my suggestion?) but that feels a little forced.

I'll reiterate, this could be your personality at play, but until I get to know you (and other players) better I'll tend to judge reactions equally.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

lol I drove to carmax and it immediately started raining uber heavily why is god mad at me now ive been nice to quidnose all day

maybe the rain is slowing you down so that something worse doesn't happen

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

I'm here and will be sort of around, but I have to prepare for a presentation at 2PM, which is just before deadline.

I'm physically incapable of doing things in advance of deadlines. It works for me though.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

Yeah, this is for a professor I work with, they want me to walk through Photoshop with their summer students. I don't want it to be one of those things where I'm fumbling around trying to answer questions in the middle of the thing. I know it, I just need to get the order of what I'm going through down pat.

Ahhh, yeah. It's not fun having to guess what's on the next slide, especially when you made it.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I actually get kind of a town read from Infini, because he gets really insane and tunnely when he's town and is more laid back and passive as scum.

But that's from horrifically limited exposure.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Ok, I know we all hate mechanics arguments but I'm kind of leaning MMT now.

The arsonists want to prime people unlikely to be lynched, and they want Ferngully to douse the wrong person.

MMT came out, cased and voted almost everyone, potentially making it rough for Ferngully to choose.

When she's town (horrifically limited exposure caveat) she focuses well and isolates strong cases.

We could be seeing her scum game. I think a lot of us are picking up bad vibes (gut feels) and that may or may not be a coincidence.

##vote MMT

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Hmm, sometimes people do the groupings, so I can do it too.

Leans scum: MMT, AA
Leans town: Moat, Infin

Black hole of uncertainty: Everyone else

Except for me, I am a tree.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

Thank you Max. That is what I wanted.

Adahn, why do you think Moat is town?

His response to having votes on him was exactly as I'd expect from a tree.

Basically, that if you get lynched, you get tree-stumped and stick around. If it's an act, it's a damned good one.

AA responded far more viscerally, suggesting he has something to lose.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Max is right. Everybody mislynch me. It's town only hope. I can still post inappropriately long after I'm a stump.

:kingsley:

Moatillata posted:

Max- I know you have the hots for me secretly but I didn't vote anyone.

Lil D - I just wanted to call you out a bit and see your response.

MMT- wanted infinitum and I to weigh in. I did so.

The only thing I am into right now is photosynthesis this is a fact. If lynching me will make you feel better, feel free but all you'll get is a stump.

Moatillata posted:

C'mon you know you still wanna murder me anyway. Release your hatred. Cut me down. I shall become more stumpy than you can imagine.

Moatillata posted:

I just want you to kill me and feel better.

:glomp:

Moatillata posted:

:waycool:

Too bad I can still post

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

See, I look at this and see him pointing out over and over 'omg, look how town I am' and that's suspicious to me.

Well, we're going to lynch someone today and he's on the top of most peoples' poo poo lists.

Scum tend to sweat and get all flabbergasted and defend themselves. Especially if there are only two of them.

Moat is cool as a cucumber. He really doesn't seem to care if he gets lynched. Yeah, he's annoyed by infini going after him, but who wouldn't be? Getting tunneled sucks.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

He may not be defending himself outright, but he is defiantly trying to push people onto other lynching possibilities. I'm not saying he's 100% scum, but his posts have a strange edge to them when I re-read and it makes me side-eye him pretty hard.

Ok dawny, that's a red flag. You're calling him scum for suggesting that other people in the game might be scum?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
If he's town, and knows he's town, then it's his prerogative to get someone else lynched, or he's playing against his win condition.

Sure, it's okay to be casual about it before the deadline approaches, but when it comes down to the wire a mislynch helps scum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

I did not say that. I called him scummy with all of the look how town I am posts, you said he wasn't defending himself how scum would, and I said that he's not outright defending himself but he's defiantly trying to get the vote to go anywhere but him. Don't twist my words.

It's the emotional aspect that's lacking. He's not emotionally invested in his own lynching (or its prevention).

And I'm not twisting your words, your perception that he is 'defiantly' trying to pursue other lynching possibilities jumps out at me.

Moat is, in all likelihood, a tree. For you to see him as 'defiantly' trying to escape his fate suggests to me that you're emotionally invested in his lynching.

Does a mislynch help you achieve your win condition?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Quidnose is jumping on whatever is the current 'most likely to be lynched' person.

First it looked to be AA, so he tunneled.

Then infin posted, and Quid jumped on that and tunneled.

It seems like Dawny and Quid are defending each other, that's interesting. Especially with Quid's incredibly vague response to me just now, where he's usually detail-oriented.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

Infinitum can you case Moat?

Quidnose posted:

##vote Moat

I think Inf's points are solid and I don't like Moat's response. He's not scum hunting, just OMGUSing by saying "that's just your opinion, man, and a scummy one at that" and passing suspicion on to MMT for being absent. Lines up with the pattern Inf thinks he is establishing with him.

Consecutive Quidnose posts. Interesting. Pressure is on AA, Quidnose sees that Moat is the second biggest target. Infinitum posts an insane rant and Quidnose eats it up.

Is this what you're talking about Max?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Quid's scum list includes:

AA, Moat, Adahn, and Max.

People who Quid has voted:

Moat

Am I missing anything? Also, I've seen scum do the "consider this a vote for NAME" before as a hedge.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I agree with Max. The reasons for lynching AA stand.

I think Infin's case totally lacks merit, and while Quid's change in stance is odd it's meaningless without a flip.

I still get town vibes from Moat.

##vote AA

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

AM.

I.

SCUM.

ADAHN.

The correct answer to that question is 'Maybe'.

Is that what you were looking for?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
You're focusing on the wrong aspect, dawny. It's the lack of flabbergastedness that makes me think Moat leans town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

You spend three posts throwing shade about how I am scummy, hinge your opinion on AA's flip, and refuse to make a call on how you actually feel. If AA flips scum, I am the obvious choice tomorrow because "I was protecting my scum buddy.". If AA flips town, I am the obvious choice tomorrow because "he knew it was going to be a misdunk."

This is scum play.

I have no idea who gets pushed for lynch tomorrow, but if you want to get me tree-stumped that's your prerogative. I'd rather that than get fired.

I think this is going to be a fun game!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

This, again, speaks nothing to my alignment, at all. Why are you so hesitant to call me scum, or outright say I am acting scummy?

Because I don't feel like thinking 3 moves ahead when I have literally 2 days to make each move.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

I'm sorry, who has moved on to AA?

He is at -2. The votes on him are:

-dongsbot, from D1
-You
-Adahn, who was a revote

So what has changed, exactly? Who has moved on to AA? What hard AA push am I trying to redirect from him?

And didn't you JUST say that people were moving AWAY from AA and that's why I was suspicious? This is a direct contradiction.

Well, we're approaching the deadline so feel free to turn your virtual vote into a real vote and help :)

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

Consider an AA vote here, that would put him at -2 though.

I am going to be gone for a while, don't turbo anyone thanks~

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

You yourself said that town should be thinking of people as scummy, that's how town plays the game. Why aren't you playing a town game, Adahn.

You're asking me to make a decision about your scumminess right now when we haven't seen AA's flip.

When you get flips, that changes the game, that's why we do it.

You know this, Max knows this, everybody knows this.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

You can have opinions on people without seeing a flip, that's how mafia works.

YOU YOURSELF SAID IN REGARDS TO LI DAWNY THAT THIS WAS THE CASE.

You are scum. Nothing about your play is town right now.

If you want to flip a tree, that's fine by me. I doubt scum will waste a prime on a stump.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Just so it's clear - yesterday was my first day on a new job and it was my turn to cook dinner for the house. Sometimes real life is a thing!

Right now my quick opinions are that Quid, Max, Moat* are scummiest and that I find the push on AA to be far more suspicious than AA himself.

* (I'd really like to see an actual case on me to get a better sense of Moat's alignment)

No worries! I just think we'd get more info from an AA flip given Quid's erratic behavior.

I don't really see an Adahn turbo as being all that useful, except that those leading the charge will probably look pretty scummy.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
You can probably count on AA's vote since he doesn't want to get lynched.

Dongs will be a hard sell because it means I'll be tree-stumped and he'll have to deal with me for the rest of the game.

Infin loves a good turbo and will probably be on board.

Max spent enough time talking about mechanics with me to realize that if I was scum there's no way I'd bring up the possibility of no-lynching. That's just insane.

Quid's flip-flopping on the issue and certainty of my being scum, plus leading the charge for a turbo despite striking me as a rational individual is puzzling.

However, I think he takes my reticence to label him as scum to be knowledge that he isn't, which is why he's so certain I'm scum.

What he probably doesn't know is that I'm a scientist IRL, so I will, as a person, never ever claim certainty about anything. Because that's stupid.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

Talk me through the evolution of your opinion at me. At one point you voted me as said I was suspicious and then you kind of immediately drop that topic and move on to AA. Why?

(spoiler: after re-reading Adahn he's shooting up my suspects list)

I was beginning to suspect that AA and Quid were scumbros. However, I think I understand WHY Quid is certain that I'm scum, and that's causing me to think that he's town.

Li Dawny is jumping on a turbo and accusing anyone she perceives as focusing attention away from themselves as being scum.

She's doing this to everyone EXCEPT AA, which is kind of weird. Moat and I are targets and AA is a target, but Moat and I are scum for focusing on other people. AA isn't scum if he focuses on others.

That's odd.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

That means I will vote where Quidnose votes because I am putting my faith in him after brutally roasting him.

I think Quid is town, but AA and Dawny might be scum this game. If you vote me though, turbo is done, but at least I'll still be around!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

I kind of feel like you're putting way more thought into who might lynch you and why over who the scum might be. Is your strongest case out there right now that you think AA is scum because he defended himself when pressed?

Hardly.

A. He responded differently to my suggestion of not lynching days 1 and 2, suggesting he approached the 'debate' not having a townie perspective.
B. He was overly emotionally involved in the attention on him, which is odd in a game where trees become stumps.
C. He disappears conveniently as conversation goes on, basically escaping everyone's notice rather than trying to find out who is 'really' scum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

I voted you because you pushed a turbo, and I was only the second person to vote you. How is that anything close to jumping onto a turbo?

Eh, the focus was on AA for practically the entirety of D1 and D2, and AA said he was going to disappear from the conversation in the hopes he didn't get lynched.

That's not really the play of someone interested in helping to find out who's scum and who's town. It's self-preservation.

I could have done it too, but here I am getting tree-stumped. We're 1 townie down, but oh well.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

You are tied for vote leader, why are you assuming your dunk is a foregone conclusion.

I'm a bit surprised AA hasn't voted me, I'm leaning away from him now.

##unvote

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

What does any of this have to do with the question I asked?

I was pushing Quid to see how he'd react.

Quidnose posted:

....you just cased him.

Ditto. He had a chance to vote me but didn't. If he's scum that's terrible play.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

...you just called me town, why would you do this?

It was the 'virtual vote' day 1 that had me feeling iffy, as I've seen it as a scum play.

However, I think I worked out why you think I'm scum, and if I have that puzzle worked out correctly then it means you're town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Sorry Quid, you're def town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

And I am sorry you rolled scum this game.

Guys, Quid is a genius and figured everything out!

Round of applause!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Now I just want to be flipped so I can laugh at you all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
It was probably just copied from the 'forest fire' role setup, but yeah, scum can probably communicate during day/night.

• Locked thread