Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WrathOfBlade posted:

Oh no! :gonk: Mind telling me what browser you were using/whether or not any errors popped up in the console?

Firefox, but Linux, no errors I noticed. I switched to Windows and it's working though, must be an incompatible version of flash or something... Weird, though, that's not something I would expect to change based on OS. Probably not worth fixing though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

WrathOfBlade posted:

It looks like some folks have stolen my game and are making banner ad money from it. (They also renamed it "Pokemon GO Flash", which I think is a really creative touch!)

Does anyone have experience dealing with this sort of thing? Really not happy about it but I don't know what recourse I can take.

If you're in the U.S. shoot me a PM and we can chat about your options.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

WrathOfBlade posted:

It looks like some folks have stolen my game and are making banner ad money from it. (They also renamed it "Pokemon GO Flash", which I think is a really creative touch!)

Does anyone have experience dealing with this sort of thing? Really not happy about it but I don't know what recourse I can take.

I made a game a few years ago called Coffee Clicker that got viral and stolen by dozens of sites.

My original page:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/haroldkrell/coffee-clicker

Sites that used my game without permission:

http://www.freeworldgroup.com/g/i/coffee-clicker.htm

https://www.y05.com/games/Coffee_Clicker/

http://www.minijuegos.com/juego/coffee-clicker

Personally, I've never really done anything about taking my game down from these sites since I never really made it to make money in the first place, but I guess if I did have to do something about it, I would contact the hosting site and ask them to remove it since I was the original creator.

Otherwise, just take this as a sign that your game is genuinely getting "internet popular".

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

blastron posted:

I don't actually know what Real Game Dev Lesson this is supposed to teach in the era of day-0 patches.

Yeah agreeing with what has been said before, this jam is legit more stressful than deploying to production at work.

I'm surprised Loterķa was not a top pick for this jam but that's neither here nor there. My own coding skills aside, which I'll freely admit are probably poo poo, I hope that all games will be considered for all categories. I'd feel like a loving monster if Chernabog's breathtakingly amazing art weren't taken into consideration for the "style" category in the jam.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 9, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

WrathOfBlade posted:

That sucks! What assholes!

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

WrathOfBlade posted:

I mean, you can take it as a compliment! A lovely, twisted, thieving compliment.

Wow. That surprises me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WrathOfBlade posted:

Played through.

No wonder they stole it, this was great. You should absolutely submit this to Kongregate and Newgrounds, dude. It would be super popular. If you're selfless, you could always donate the profits back to the jam or whatever too! (but if I were you I'd just take the money and run, haha)

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Harold Krell posted:

Personally, I've never really done anything about taking my game down from these sites since I never really made it to make money in the first place, but I guess if I did have to do something about it, I would contact the hosting site and ask them to remove it since I was the original creator.

Otherwise, just take this as a sign that your game is genuinely getting "internet popular".
The offending site's contact page just leads to a comments section :smith: Thanks for sharing your experience, though. Fully aware that this is probably going to be my Real Gamedev Lesson from this jam, but I still hate it and don't want to let it go if I can help it.

GlyphGryph posted:

Played through.

No wonder they stole it, this was great. You should absolutely submit this to Kongregate and Newgrounds, dude. It would be super popular. If you're selfless, you could always donate the profits back to the jam or whatever too! (but if I were you I'd just take the money and run, haha)
Thanks so much!! I may just do that. I mean if anyone's going to be making pennies from this dumb game it should at least be me.

(Also, it's too late for this case, but for the future I'm thinking of throwing in some "anti-piracy code" that checks the hostname against a whitelist and crashes the game if it's not on there... or are game thieves smart enough to ctrl+f for the hostname and swap it out? Maybe if I rot13 it...)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WrathOfBlade posted:

The offending site's contact page just leads to a comments section :smith: Thanks for sharing your experience, though. Fully aware that this is probably going to be my Real Gamedev Lesson from this jam, but I still hate it and don't want to let it go if I can help it.

Is there anything you can do on Twitter about this? It's a great platform to get this kind of message out, and the mass-awareness alone can possibly help you out. Using certain hashtags like #gamedev can get you some automatic retweets by some very popular bots.

EDIT: vvvv this is also great advice.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 9, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WrathOfBlade posted:

I think it's important to try and keep perspective, which is difficult when someone pulls a dick move like this, but...You haven't actually lost anything. It sucks, emotionally, but these people do not really have the power to impact you in any other way. Even if you were to publish the game on a place like Kongregate, that's the sort of place people go first - the existence of your game on some sketchy site in the rear end end of the internet isn't going to change that. Literally the only real outcome of this is that maybe, just maybe, someone will try out the game and then tell a friend to try it - and so long as you have a portal that's higher than they are in the search rankings those views will come to you. At worst, people who wouldn't have otherwise gotten to experience your game still enjoy it.

Also, don't bother with the anti-piracy link - that's shooting yourself in the foot. What you should do is always make sure to include a link to the official version of the game. Frustrating their users with a broken game may be emotionally satisfying, but stealing their users in return is even better

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Echoing that sometimes pursuing them is not always the best option. Sometimes it is, but it's not always cost effective to do so. Key takeaway is to make sure your game has plenty of self-identification (in the splash screen, title, watermarks, credits, etc.) so that even if you get unauthorized rehosting, you still get the "credit" as it were.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah you might as well make a little money outta it if someone else is!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This is my first time following a SA game jam as a spectator.. will the Gong Show stuff get stored on the Awful Jams Youtube channel at some point? On Twitch I can apparently only see the last broadcast, not all of them.

And live is unfortunately not an option for me due to time difference. :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Drone posted:

This is my first time following a SA game jam as a spectator.. will the Gong Show stuff get stored on the Awful Jams Youtube channel at some point? On Twitch I can apparently only see the last broadcast, not all of them.

And live is unfortunately not an option for me due to time difference. :(

Try these URLs, I think I got them right.

Day 1, Block 1:
https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/v/81969727

Day 1, Block 2:
https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/v/81986300

Day 2, Blocks 3 & 4:
https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/v/82148992

Day 3, Blocks 5 & 6:
https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev/v/82328698

I'm able to view all of these but I'm in the US so if they don't work there's probably some regional BS going on.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'm pretty sure that they will be uploading them to YouTube as well.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Yep Gong Show will be uploaded to YouTube today or tomorrow.

blastron posted:

I'm like 80% sure the rule is in place because bandwidth and disk space are expensive and these jams are run entirely out-of-pocket. If I were to be submitting updated builds of my 2 gigabyte UE4 monstrosity every other day, I'm sure that would cause serious issues for someone's wallet.

I don't actually know what Real Game Dev Lesson this is supposed to teach in the era of day-0 patches.

It's this and the fact that submission is meant to be the very last thing you do in the jam after testing your final build. It's important to budget the time for preparing and testing a final build

We're bouncing around some ideas on making this a teeny tiny bit more lenient for next year.

Winter Jam will have 2 chances outright because it's the ~chill~ jam.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

blastron posted:

I'm like 80% sure the rule is in place because bandwidth and disk space are expensive and these jams are run entirely out-of-pocket. If I were to be submitting updated builds of my 2 gigabyte UE4 monstrosity every other day, I'm sure that would cause serious issues for someone's wallet.

I will have you know that my UE4 monstrosity was only 50MB compressed. :colbert:

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I think it's important to try and keep perspective, which is difficult when someone pulls a dick move like this, but...You haven't actually lost anything. It sucks, emotionally, but these people do not really have the power to impact you in any other way. Even if you were to publish the game on a place like Kongregate, that's the sort of place people go first - the existence of your game on some sketchy site in the rear end end of the internet isn't going to change that. Literally the only real outcome of this is that maybe, just maybe, someone will try out the game and then tell a friend to try it - and so long as you have a portal that's higher than they are in the search rankings those views will come to you. At worst, people who wouldn't have otherwise gotten to experience your game still enjoy it.
True enough, but I do feel obligated as a Content Creator to stand up to people like this whenever I have a chance. Within the bounds of reason, anyway. (Also yeah it's probably a better use of my time to edit in a splash page and a clickable link back to my site.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Friday and the ability to push a slightly less lovely/confusing/obtuse version of my game cannot come soon enough, I'm dying over here hahah.

God I wish I had actually finished this thing in time for submission. This is what I get for trying to fit a month long jam project into two weeks, though.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I have to catch up on the last few pages (there's a Google Doc voting form I haven't looked at), but besides not being able to get on here recently, I did play some more (haven't tried the online ones yet, even though I "rolled" them, due to scheduling issues):

zeekner posted:

Just released Old Men, Playing to Rule the World
Old Men, Playing to Rule the World by Team Effort

First impression: Die wouldn't stop spinning, and then I took pills and couldn't click anything. Second try: Did I just win or lose? I think there should've been some better feedback (and a tutorial, as it took me awhile to remember how craps works). Also, it was over really fast and I don't think I understood the story or the cliffhanger? Besides that, while I think there could've been better interaction since it's used (object manipulation besides single-clicking, for example), I'm fairly impressed with the 3D and how well it ran. I don't know if it's your first game or anything, but I'd be excited to see what else you can do in later jams, actually! Also, just read you plan to do just that, so that's awesome. Oh, finally, I really liked how you set up the "title screen" a lot.

Mo_Steel posted:

Uphill Both Ways by Team Turtle Turtle

Fun little 2D platformer that has a nice length to it. Really neat that it was done in UE4! Quite a bit to like about this game (nice job with the parallax!), and probably one of the better ones in terms of dev logs and listening to feedback. I must be immune to that motion stuff because I kind of thought there wasn't enough of it (though listening to others I know I'm in the minority!). Only criticism I can think of is art-wise it seemed a little barren and the length seemed maybe too short and could've used some more puzzles based around its core mechanic (it really shines in level 2). Nice job!

PokeJoe posted:

Grandpa's Medicine by STIFF Competition

A neat little memory/puzzle game, this one hits the theme well. I like to think of it as a game for grandpa, but it also works like a grandpa simulator because you start to feel a bit... afflicted... while your memory is failing you. Color blindness and the blurry one worked well in particular. I did read the post-mortem and can agree it's a shame you couldn't put more into (or hand off) art assets, but actually it seems like so far there's a lot of game that are using public domain images and whatnot. I thought the difficulty arc was pretty good, actually, but my memory sucks irl so I can't know.

Very cute, and really good to the theme. Nice art, music, and atmosphere. Maybe it could've used a little bit more interaction for gameplay or deeper challenge, but I had a nice relaxing time of it. Unsure about all the skeletons, though, kind of expected a dark turn or something!

ApproachingInfinity posted:

Grandpa GO by Team Phlargenarffen
At first I thought it was a bit frustrating, but once it clicked it was pretty entertaining for awhile flinging around grampy and his walker. Thank goodness for checkpoints! It kind of reminded me of that fish game I liked during SAGDC X, Go Fish!. Nice job considering the shorter timeline, though it would've shined with some better art (the background in particular), any sound/music (or was that my computer?), and I found myself wishing for at least one more trick obstacle early on (maybe something requiring leap frogging or landing on a moving platform?). Neat on doing the whole procedural generation thing, too. I think I got pretty good at it:

Wow, the aesthetics of this one really gives a good first impression. It almost feels like finding some ancient lost arcade cabinet or uncovering some unpublished early computer game cartridge. That said, I do kind of wish the golf and the shooter parts were fleshed out and I did put it down somewhat quickly, as I believed I probably saw everything after the first round of it. I think one could hardly expect better from a last minute kind of thing!

I laughed at the opening, and chuckled a few times through it. I read your post-mortem and it sounds like you put quite a bit of care into making sure the comedy was well-received! As a learning tool it sounds like you covered all the problems on what you should do differently going on. I personally learned you should keep a close, close eye on Sex Perverts. I did want to mention that you should probably soften your audio, especially if your game autoplays like that. Oh, I did get some bugs but nothing too major (text seemed to mess up after getting the Communist and then a error dump that opened the Unity console when I, I believe, got to the end at the same time as dying). VIDEO GAMES, indeed.

Mac only :( When will people think of the PC gamers :qq: I'm somewhat of a stealth guy, so kind of cool hearing someone experimented in that genre. Sorry it didn't work out, hopefully Punch Fighters will return punch fight stronger (Punch Figh777: Double Beatdown Edition).

First off, fantastic aesthetics. The art, music, and voice-overs were good to great. It hit the theme, but in a creative way besides "Old Guy Does A Thing". That said, because it's so strong in those ways I feel I can be a fair bit critical! I did have some trouble with the gameplay, and I thought walking around and the save system could've used a bit more cohesiveness behind it (enough that I thought I missed something narrative-wise and ended up walking away from the story without much understanding of it). And the gameplay was an interesting idea, but unless I'm wrong it did seem to ere on the more random side of things (I succeeded more often then not when I just placed cards and didn't bother with looking at the opponent's zone as that felt like more of a waste of a turn. Also, more than a couple times the opponent straight-up handed me the win. The hand/deck/zone thing was a little confusing at first, and I wonder if there couldn't be another mechanic to learn what cards the opponent might have, which means even more I relied on placing and drawing. Finally, I think the part where it showed what the opponent's card did, only as they used it, needed to be a bit clearer and consistent). But all in all, definitely a top-notch submission!

Cute, good job with the art and title theme! I would've liked more of a battle system or something to better complement the narration, but sounds like you had development problems. Though, on second thought, Pokemon does have that kind of labyrinthine, nook and cranny thing, so that part is pretty accurate! The Pokemon silhouettes were strong and I thought the in-jokes hit much more than they missed.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Cute, good job with the art and title theme! I would've liked more of a battle system or something
I had the same thought while playing Pokemon GO :v:
...actually yeah there was going to be something more complicated and I did have to cut it for lack of time. Glad you liked it otherwise!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

First impression: Die wouldn't stop spinning, and then I took pills and couldn't click anything. Second try: Did I just win or lose? I think there should've been some better feedback (and a tutorial, as it took me awhile to remember how craps works). Also, it was over really fast and I don't think I understood the story or the cliffhanger? Besides that, while I think there could've been better interaction since it's used (object manipulation besides single-clicking, for example), I'm fairly impressed with the 3D and how well it ran. I don't know if it's your first game or anything, but I'd be excited to see what else you can do in later jams, actually! Also, just read you plan to do just that, so that's awesome. Oh, finally, I really liked how you set up the "title screen" a lot.

Hey, thanks for playing! That die spinning bug is weird, I ran into it once on the last weekend and didn't have time to diagnose it. (I think one of the table components is too thin for the physics engine)

There was supposed to be more tutorials via labels on the table, but that was dropped in the rush to get the build out. I'll just say that about halfway through the month, I realized the gameplay wasn't really going to be fun. I decided to just focus on the transitions and story (phone, animations, ect), and didn't implement the other minigames I originally planned. The story is kinda stilted because I'm a terrible writer, I really didn't think much about how it would fit the theme.

This is my third game jam, and my first 3D game. It was definitely a fun thing to build even if it didn't really come together as a game. I'm already working on another jam right now, and the experience I picked up here has made it so much easier to get into it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Doom Goon posted:

Fun little 2D platformer that has a nice length to it. Really neat that it was done in UE4! Quite a bit to like about this game (nice job with the parallax!), and probably one of the better ones in terms of dev logs and listening to feedback. I must be immune to that motion stuff because I kind of thought there wasn't enough of it (though listening to others I know I'm in the minority!). Only criticism I can think of is art-wise it seemed a little barren and the length seemed maybe too short and could've used some more puzzles based around its core mechanic (it really shines in level 2). Nice job!

Definitely agree on level 2 being the most interesting part; I would've loved to have a new mechanic in level 3 but I ran out of time. I was impressed with the blueprint system in UE4, despite some headaches.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Great Beer posted:

Retirement Manager postmortem & review reaction:

This was the first game I've ever made and I started the game jam knowing precisely nothing about game development. Learning how to do it was a ton of fun and this outcome was about the best I could have hoped for. Next time I think I'll try something more complex.

Not sure that anyone else really picked up on this, but I've been following your posts throughout the Jam. As someone who is getting into making basic games myself, I really enjoyed seeing you compete up there with more experienced people and you've helped to convinced me to set a goal to compete myself in the next Jam. Cheers, dude.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well theres my :unsmith: moment of the day. Hope you do well!

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
So since we've had trouble finishing the 3d version, introducing the most delayed game of the game jam:

Games not for grandpa.

Download here, windows only: https://originalcontentgaming.itch.io/prototype?secret=QoAzoRU4e2dvJsXWFYbpxJv1lmY

Solve puzzles your kids left lying around!

Chuckle!

Be driven mad by the soundtrack!

It's all yours, in its exact judge form, right here.

---

Warning, Incoming game theme defense, view unwisely at your own peril:

In its theme defense, its actually literally a game a grandpa could play: No twitch controls, no timer, no fail states, gradual difficulty curve with alternate paths for when you get stuck. But yeah not the strongest themed game of the jam that's for sure.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Aug 11, 2016

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Harold Krell posted:

Lou-ny Balloon-y Goes Floatin' 'Round Town

This game was awesome, by the way. Really well polished. My only complaint was that their weren't enough checkpoints, especially for the later levels where electricity starts instant killing you, and that a few of the bosses were somewhat trivial. Aside from that, fantastic.

Alot of the level design was really great. My favorite bit was the electricity stage, but especially the two walls of electricity vertically in the sky. "well, this doesn't seem to bad - wait oh poo poo balloon dudes".

You should definitely consider expanding on this.

edit: Oh, one more thing I remembered. When I was doing the wind level with the bird final boss, I didn't understand the mechanic of jumping on things giving you foward momentum for the entire zone, right up until the bird boss when I actually learned it.

It makes me think the bird boss would be a good precursor to the wind level, rather than its end - the bird is the best tutorial for dealing with wind

Afal posted:

Game based on Results to a Vote people had

Your games are consistently hilarious and the first thing I download every jam.

Gunzil posted:

Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!

This was great.. The polish was great. The gameplay was great. The characterization of the two protagonists was especially great.

My one problem is that the breathing mini-game detracted from the core loop - I would be really enjoying snapping birds, but then I would have to take a break from that to breath. Also, some of the later levels required a little to many snaps.

But, these are minor quibbles. I enjoyed the poo poo out of this game. Great job!

Prediction: This game will win the jam.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 11, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
If you've played Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop and you feel like letting me know what you thought of it I made a short survey here and I'd love to hear anything at all. Thanks!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Giggs posted:

If you've played Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop and you feel like letting me know what you thought of it I made a short survey here and I'd love to hear anything at all. Thanks!

I really appreciated your post-mortem since I'm trying to grok audio for games. Thanks! I haven't played your game yet but I'm gonna get to it when I get home! (trying to play all the ones made by posters in this thread before the stream tomorrow!)

Screaming Color, the super talented guy who has done the music for every Team Dogpit game to date, made album versions of the tracks he did for Loterķa available for download here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4WQZW-Y-3RJbGs3MnhJNGxfVlE

I showed him everything everyone has said about his music here and in the twitch chat and he was thrilled. Thanks everybody!

E:

Doom Goon posted:

card battle critique

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback! That's legit very helpful. Consistently I've gotten the same kind of critique on the overworld mechanics/story but I've been getting very mixed feedback here and from people I've shown the game IRL on the card battle component. I've basically heard it's way too hard and that it's way too easy.

The game as-designed can be played IRL with two actual Loterķa decks ($1 to $4 at your local Mexican grocery) and a cheat sheet for the card abilities, and in fact this was how we playtested the game early on and honed in on the mechanics we thought were most fun.

(using a hand-drawn tabla here as the set didn't have two tablas that used the same 20 cards but in different configurations)

Perhaps unsurprisingly, most of the people who have told me the card battles are fine or too easy were already familiar with Loterķa so they didn't have any trouble with the victory patterns, why placing a card on your own board might also put a marker on your opponent's, and so on. For this reason I think that the core game itself is solid, but the huge issue was properly communicating to the player the rules, the mechanics, what to do, etc.

General plan for improvement:
  • overhaul UI to make player actions more intuitive - maybe have the player click the card they want to use and then animate buttons coming out of that card for "place" and "use" rather than utilizing the drag zone mechanic.
  • after the tutorial concludes, continue to explain for the rest of the first match what is happening and why
  • slowly introduce the different victory patterns over several quick matches (maybe only have the horizontal and vertical four-in-a-row patterns at first, then introduce the other patterns) or have certain opponents only beatable with certain victory patterns to make matches more distinct
  • More matches, and faster. Speed up matches by having player auto-draw if they have fewer than three cards in their hand -- this also makes Scout useful again. We did playtest a variant in which, dominion style, players discarded their entire hands at the end of each turn and drew three, but this made each match essentially a lightning round, so some balance between that and what's currently in the game is probably good. Having more matches will also give us more leeway to make the AI smarter. It's impossible to lose the first match, and the 2nd match is basically also be a gimmie. (If the card descriptions hadn't been covered by the timer during the stream, JonTerp would probably have won.)
  • More cards. More cards means you're less likely to draw something you can place, means your opponent placing things is less likely to help you out, means card abilities are more important, means the game is somewhat less luck-based. (It's always going to be somewhat luck-based and that's fine.)

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 11, 2016

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
This is wonderful! I think some of the puzzles felt slightly out of order in terms of difficulty, and there were sometimes a few too puzzles here and there, but the difficulty curve was very smooth, with some good bumps here and there for pacing's sake. The number of ideas you had, and the fact that you were able to offer each one a meaningful expansion, made this game a ton of fun for me.

Also, for what it's worth, I honestly don't think your theme justification is too outrageous or loose, but that may just be me.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Xibanya posted:

I really appreciated your post-mortem since I'm trying to grok audio for games. Thanks! I haven't played your game yet but I'm gonna get to it when I get home! (trying to play all the ones made by posters in this thread before the stream tomorrow!)

I'm really glad you got something out of the post-mortem!

So, I was curious about how many downloads there were of my game and I found out that itch.io tracks referrals and downloads(dropbox doesn't). The page had a bunch of referrals from some website and it turns out that somebody wrote a tiny little article about my game with what might be one of the worst made gifs of all time.

I've been looking around for mentions of other games in the jam since then. There's a handful of playthroughs on youtube for That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into including one with over 20,000 views that's impossible for me to watch more than 2 seconds of because holy poo poo that guy. He got his description of the game from a website called Free Game Planet who wrote up a nice little summary.

I found several playthroughs on Youtube of Old Man's Drive that are not very good including one guy who does characters for some reason.

I'll keep snooping around the internet later to see if I find anything.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rob Filter posted:

Warning, Incoming game theme defense, view unwisely at your own peril:

In its theme defense, its actually literally a game a grandpa could play: No twitch controls, no timer, no fail states, gradual difficulty curve with alternate paths for when you get stuck. But yeah not the strongest themed game of the jam that's for sure.

The theme is "Games For Grandpa" not "Grandpa Themed Games" so I wouldn't worry about it. I think most of us just picked games that would be thematically relatable for grandpas.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Let me tell you it's a pain to slog through ~50 games and write at least one word about them. I'm sorry that this round of "words about videogames" sound a little bit like I'm getting bored of doing this.

---

Games with no public build as far as I can tell: Sorry honey, I never told you I was Mafia; Wet Grandpa; 7 to heaven; Lawn Care Simulator; Zombie TD

Gone Grandpa Gone - Short stealthy game but by gum was that annoying to get through. Some checkpoints as the judges mentioned in the gong show would have been incredibly helpful here.

Old Men Playing to Rule the World - I don't know how to play craps, or how to play roulette craps, but sure I'll try gambling randomly and not understanding what's going on. It was annoying that I could put chips ON a space but not OFF for some reason. If there was anything that was harder to follow than how the game worked it was definitely the plot.

Sneaking Mission - Another stealth game that could have benifited from checkpoints.

Get Off My Lawn!!! - Nice simple game, but jumps to ridiculous levels really quickly.

You Were Promised A Jetpack - This game is stupid. I love it but it's stupid.

Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout - gently caress this self extracting zip exe. Also gently caress all the games this year being stealth games. gently caress everything. No Waluigi.

Grandpa's Great Escape - Ok, when it comes to packaging, this does what everyone who has a unity game does and I'm putting this in bold so that people can notice this: they don't put the game in its own directory. Like the ritual I have is I download the game from the public link, I open up the zip and then notice that I have to make a new folder to extract everything to. 7-zip (the only reason I'm using this is because some people use rar or .tar.gz) has a hosed up interface (which is probably more windows' fault probably) where when traverse to the "awful_games" folder and then click "New Folder" it creates a folder in the upper directory. This has happned multiple times and I get pissed off every time it happens. Please make sure that the steps I have to take to play your game requires me to barely do anything to play it.

Anyway the game, I... I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Apparently right click is what lets me move characters? I haven't really played Civ in years though so I'm not really sure. I got bored after a few moves?

Souvenir - This ran too slow for me to be patient with the walk speed which was also tank controls for some reason?

Back in my day - Unreal games seem to run to a crawl when I run them. This is especially hosed up when the tutorial text box pops up, tells you what button you need to press too late to actually press it and takes loving ages to get rid of. Oh by the way the timer was ticking down in the tutorial so you'd fail going to school in the tutorial. Good poo poo.

Walking with Gramps - Hey its just like that edutainment game people keep talking about that I have no frame of reference for because in Britain the premier edutainment game for the computer machine was Granny's Garden in which the intro music has been burned into my brain for all eternity. Nearly 50 entries and there isn't a Granny's Garden (but with a grandpa instead) game? This is a disgrace.

Retirement Manager - Could do with some better pacing like the "get off my lawn game" because stuff gets real overwhelming really quickly.

RIP, old man - Hold down enter simulator. This was my review.

Grandpa GO - *starts game* *fails at the first hurdle* well, gently caress this. *closes tab*

Grandpa Gets His Groove - Wouldn't run.

Ennui - This game made it difficult to tell what was interactable or what was the objective or goal.

The Lawn - I like this but holy poo poo my computer doesn't like Unreal games for some reason so this is yet another game I didn't get to play properly.

Chip it in golf - One of the nicest thing about desert golf is that you can take as many strokes as you want and it will never judge you. You can play however you want. This is similar. Cool.

Granpappa - I love this. It does suffer from the problems other rhythm games have, but I would definitely like to play more of this. It was short, and I don't think you can ever be completely wrong with it (which I suppose is fine for a jam game).

Grandpa Manager - I couldn't buy things. What the gently caress. I have money but I can't give money to Christopher's party or to buy him some gear for his football career. There wasn't much to do other than the green days. Also, sucks that the real enemy of this game was capitalism.

PUNCH FI6HT - ALIVE AND KICKING - Mac Only.

Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop - This was funny. A good gongshow game but also a fairly decent jam game in of itself. I couldn't tell what was the difference between the different grandpa rankings though (what's the difference between a green grandpa pikachorp and a grandpa elsa?).

Games not for Grandpa - Got to the end. Expected pee jar. There was no pee jar. Disappointed. Great puzzles although I'm sure in one section I was getting it right but it wasn't letting me past (it was a lock one... I'm guessing all the locks should be "unlocked" for a puzzle which was why I was getting it "wrong" before?). Could have had some better ambient music.

---

Hmm I think that's it. Please let me know if I've missed yours (I did miss one last year and no one called me out on it). I'll get on to the winners of the bounty later on.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
7 to heaven doesn't have a public build because of ~team drama~ that was briefly chatted about in gong show stream chat, and frankly im doing people a service by not letting them play it :P

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Afal posted:

Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout - gently caress this self extracting zip exe. Also gently caress all the games this year being stealth games. gently caress everything. No Waluigi.

The game was packaged as a self extracting exe because 7zip cut the size down by over a third, I don't expect people to have 7zip (you even complain about it on an other game), and my hosting is space and bandwidth limited. Sorry selecting a folder to extract to was an unreasonable hassle.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

satsui no thankyou posted:

7 to heaven doesn't have a public build because of ~team drama~ that was briefly chatted about in gong show stream chat, and frankly im doing people a service by not letting them play it :P

Oh.. oh dear..

Anyway, on the subject of things being missing there's the following I want to check. I'm not sure if there's anyone who's tried for any of these bounties If you have, please let me know before tomorrow when I announce the bounty winners:
  • Best Use of FMV
  • Best Mobile
  • Movie Devlog
  • Best image of something that has helped you finish the jam game during crunch time

Willbutt
Mar 5, 2016

Afal posted:

You Were Promised A Jetpack - This game is stupid. I love it but it's stupid.

Yep. That was basically my thoughts on it as well like, 2 days before the end of the jam. Not going back and quoting all of the positive comments about it, I'm very grateful to anyone who played, and have been following along! The stream was definitely correct, it needed some kind of boss encounter, and it's very easy to get into a spot where it's impossible to lose once you get used to the systems well enough. Still, given how busy I was in July, I'm just glad I managed to get something that functioned as a game out the door as a solo project.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

quote:

gently caress everything. No Waluigi.

My game has a Waluigi knock-off. Go back to the train station when you can move freely in chapter one. It's there and voice acted like everything else in the game.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Giggs posted:

I've been looking around for mentions of other games in the jam since then. There's a handful of playthroughs on youtube for That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into including one with over 20,000 views that's impossible for me to watch more than 2 seconds of because holy poo poo that guy. He got his description of the game from a website called Free Game Planet who wrote up a nice little summary.
Oh jeeze, I knew there were a few Youtube playthroughs of my game but I had no idea any had gotten that many views. Very surreal!

Almost as surreal (and this is probably a point of interest re: effective marketing) - Google Analytics tells me that my game has received approximately ~1 new user referral from Youtube. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Afal posted:

Let me tell you it's a pain to slog through ~50 games and write at least one word about them. I'm sorry that this round of "words about videogames" sound a little bit like I'm getting bored of doing this.

---

Hmm I think that's it. Please let me know if I've missed yours (I did miss one last year and no one called me out on it). I'll get on to the winners of the bounty later on.

Did you get a chance to play Uphill Both Ways? Appreciate the feedback.

Also, I've decided on my bounty winner...

Mo_Steel posted:

:siren: BOUNTY :siren:

I've got gift codes for the Humble PC & Android Bundle 14 and the SGDQ 16 Bundle to my favorite game of the jam made by a one person team. It may not even be the best game, maybe it just made me laugh or I loved the concept or it really ran with the theme even if it looked terrible.

Congratulations to WrathofBlade! "That Pokeyman Thing Your Grandkids Are Into" gave me a bunch of laughs; it's well put together, a fun take on the theme, and that poor Magikarp analog had me almost dying. I've sent you a PM with the links to the bundles.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 12, 2016

• Locked thread