Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

check out this cool VR game that has the gameplay, graphics and content of a typical 5 dollar tablet game. the game and the VR included only cost 500 dollars. enjoy, consumers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Well the last two years were pretty amazing for them.

This year two of their three mega announcements from last year didn't even show.

Yeah, Sony blew their load last year, even more so because at least one of their biggest announcements (the FF7 Remake) is never, ever coming out. It's a vanity project that SE shoved Tetsuya Nomura into because they're embarrassed by his inept project management but can't fire him without losing face.

Now all they're left with is a bunch of glorified movie trailers and stuff we knew about already.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
This is the part in the PS4's lifespan where you have the development on the console down pat so you are hammering games. You don't need to sell a new system or new features or upgrades, you are outselling your direct competition 2:1 so sell them games. That's what they did, with a few meh offerings but for me Re7, Horizon, GoW, Last Guardian all look amazing. They should've had some part about non-AAA titles and partnerships but calling it bad by any stretch is dumb, it wasn't as 'impactful' as recent conferences cause they weren't setting the market, it's now set.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grapplejack posted:

them going "hey maybe don't buy an Xbox One"

Didn't they drop the price?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

They should've had some part about non-AAA titles and partnerships but calling it bad by any stretch is dumb, it wasn't as 'impactful' as recent conferences cause they weren't setting the market, it's now set.

Yes, this is what I meant. I'm not saying that GB should be wanking all over everything and giving perfect scores to all games shown, and being cynical about any future promises in the games industry is basically required at this point, but being super-disappointed by it seems particularly surprising.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The price has dropped so much that an official MSRP change is still more expensive than what most retailers are offering.

e: The 1tb Holiday bundle with the console's 3 best games is $299 on Amazon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

All of their exclusives are also available on Windows 10 and they have not one but two hardware revisions coming within the next year

I don't know what their plan was with that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Grapplejack posted:

All of their exclusives are also available on Windows 10 and they have not one but two hardware revisions coming within the next year

I don't know what their plan was with that.

Their plan is "establish a shared ecosystem with as many points of entry as possible because once people enter they'll hesitate to leave, even if we gently caress up again in the future".

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Okay Persona 5 livestream 8am est tomorrow wake me up then

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
So where was Red Dead Redemption 2?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

So where was Red Dead Redemption 2?

Hanging out at the bar with Agent

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grapplejack posted:

All of their exclusives are also available on Windows 10

Yes but if a GTX 1070 alone costs as much as an Xbox...

I realize there's a lot of people who keep their gaming PCs recent and see that news and say "well I don't need an Xbox", it if you don't have a recent gaming PC it's not like the cost is relative. If you've got an old early i5 or something you're going to be spending quite a bit.

I own a PC from 2013 and it's time for me to upgrade the graphics card again because the one I bought to play Bioshock Infinite at max settings is barely meeting published minimums. All I know is that I had three years before I had to spend $200-350 again to double my VRAM once more.

What's weird is I don't even have any plans to leave 1080p anytime soon. I don't want a 24" monitor with super refresh rates and I am not interested yet in 4K.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Now I'm rewatching the 2015 Digital Event

I'm still sad that some of Iwata's last moments were apologizing to disappointed people :smith:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Yes but if a GTX 1070 alone costs as much as an Xbox...

I realize there's a lot of people who keep their gaming PCs recent and see that news and say "well I don't need an Xbox", it if you don't have a recent gaming PC it's not like the cost is relative. If you've got an old early i5 or something you're going to be spending quite a bit.

I own a PC from 2013 and it's time for me to upgrade the graphics card again because the one I bought to play Bioshock Infinite at max settings is barely meeting published minimums. All I know is that I had three years before I had to spend $200-350 again to double my VRAM once more.

What's weird is I don't even have any plans to leave 1080p anytime soon. I don't want a 24" monitor with super refresh rates and I am not interested yet in 4K.

Well if Sony and Microsoft are setting the precedent for iterative consoles then we're looking at a future where you're spending $300-400 upgrading your HTPC equivalent every 3 years or so.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I was kinda surprised to hear Sony really push the fact that VR works as intended on the base PS4 with absolutely no mention of the Neo.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm looking at it from the perspective of justifying the console; if they're offering all of their exclusives on windows, you can just get a PC and a ps4 and be 100% set, and if that tends to be the case you'll have people inside of Microsoft looking at the console and going "why are we wasting resources on this".
Either the exclusive sharing goes or the Xbox might not be around in the future.

Maybe I'm applying too much business logic to this , I don't know

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

TG-Chrono posted:

This is the part in the PS4's lifespan where you have the development on the console down pat so you are hammering games. You don't need to sell a new system or new features or upgrades, you are outselling your direct competition 2:1 so sell them games. That's what they did, with a few meh offerings but for me Re7, Horizon, GoW, Last Guardian all look amazing. They should've had some part about non-AAA titles and partnerships but calling it bad by any stretch is dumb, it wasn't as 'impactful' as recent conferences cause they weren't setting the market, it's now set.

That's only partially true, though. The games part of the conference was solid, but Sony's also launching a new $400 peripheral in four months, and yet Ubisoft's conference made a better case for VR than they did. That part of the conference was genuinely pretty bad.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How many of those 50 VR games announced are games and how many are "experiences"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I'm looking at it from the perspective of justifying the console; if they're offering all of their exclusives on windows, you can just get a PC and a ps4 and be 100% set, and if that tends to be the case you'll have people inside of Microsoft looking at the console and going "why are we wasting resources on this".
Either the exclusive sharing goes or the Xbox might not be around in the future.

Consoles aren't really money makers by themselves, it's all about selling the software to go with them, Microsoft's just attacking that problem from an interesting angle; they'd have greater success if the Windows Store wasn't a garbage fire, though. And this also pushes Windows 10 installs which is probably more important to them than selling Bones (in much the same way that a lot of PS3's launch jankiness still helped them win the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Accordion Man posted:

But they actually showed games.

And most of those games aren't really interesting, even seemingly to most posters here. It really isn't a stretch to see that Sony's conference was mostly boring and uninteresting. It doesn't matter how many games they can come out with if nothing much is exciting.

The coolest thing was seeing Kojima again, but there wasn't much to the demonstration game-wise.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
VR is genuinely pretty bad. All of the pie-in-the-sky fanfiction people write about their "experience" never comes attached to a game people want to play. I cannot imagine paying 400 bucks for a peripheral only a few games will benefit from, a device that most game devs will stumble hard at trying to integrate into their products.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

fivegears4reverse posted:

VR is genuinely pretty bad. All of the pie-in-the-sky fanfiction people write about their "experience" never comes attached to a game people want to play. I cannot imagine paying 400 bucks for a peripheral only a few games will benefit from, a device that most game devs will stumble hard at trying to integrate into their products.

Yeah, during that whole segment my main thought was "That looks amazing, I can't wait until I can figure out a way to play it for half an hour for free".

The only one I ever wanted to live permanently in my house was the X-Wing demo, and that was mostly nostalgia and had passed by the time the video ended.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
"I don't get why people say I look like Bowser"
-Reggie Fils-Aimé, unaware of his impending transformation into Bowser in 2016

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised nobody's made or announced a Time Crisis remastered in VR game yet.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Takoluka posted:

I was kinda surprised to hear Sony really push the fact that VR works as intended on the base PS4 with absolutely no mention of the Neo.

Well yeah they don't want people holding off buying it to whenever the Neo comes out.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The only reason I'm keeping my Xbone is due to the chance that Pirate game may kick rear end. I suppose State of Decay 2 may be interesting as well if they fix the bugs from the first one.

As for PS4, I can't believe I'm most excited for a Spiderman game in 2016, but here were are. Ok, well, that and RE7.

Kinda bummed there was no Dark or Demons Soul HD remaster though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Minorkos posted:

check out this cool VR game that has the gameplay, graphics and content of a typical 5 dollar tablet game. the game and the VR included only cost 500 dollars. enjoy, consumers
Still cheaper than the PC version that does the same thing, only without an actual game promised yet

fivegears4reverse posted:

If they would stop reaching so hard for immersion gimmick mechanics and just make games that play well and happen to be better in VR, that would be good. I would hope for that with Resident Evil but lol at an RE game playing anything but awkwardly

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

How many of those 50 VR games announced are games and how many are "experiences"

0/50

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Giant Bomb is the most worthless of a large group of worthless review sites and people who think they're funny or evocative hosts also think that anime is good

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Red Warrior posted:

Well yeah they don't want people holding off buying it to whenever the Neo comes out.

Well, Sony has already stated that the Neo is not a replacement PS4. It is a console you're supposed to buy and set next to your PS4. It's stupid as all hell, but it makes me a little less weary about PS VR. Or something.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Grapplejack posted:

See, I think MS simply saw Steamboxes, Shield, and all these other attempts to make an gaming focused AIO PC; and are working on doing the same thing from the other direction.

The PCMR crowd is where 5% of the sales are. But if they eventually allow prebuilt boxes running Steam Big Picture to move into their space, that 5% could pull the masses away.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Teikanmi posted:

Giant Bomb is the most worthless of a large group of worthless review sites and people who think they're funny or evocative hosts also think that anime is good

Please don't imply I like Giant Bomb

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Takoluka posted:

Well, Sony has already stated that the Neo is not a replacement PS4. It is a console you're supposed to buy and set next to your PS4. It's stupid as all hell, but it makes me a little less weary about PS VR. Or something.

I think you're misinterpreting what they've said. It's not a replacement in the sense that they will still be selling the PS4. It is a more powerful console that is going to run games going forward much better than they do on the existing PS4, including VR titles.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Teikanmi posted:

The Giantbomb guys are like the most affable and inoffensive guys in the world, though. Your heart may be rotten.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grapplejack posted:

I'd be really curious to know just how much overlap there is between XBone and PC gamers. I haven't owned a console since the PS2, and I've never owned a Microsoft console.

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Varam posted:

The Giantbomb guys are like the most affable and inoffensive guys in the world, though. Your heart may be rotten.

Yes, fat drug addicted millionaires. The Voices of reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

Kotaku is still around you know! Thankfully that is a sinking ship now that Gizmodo has filed for bankruptcy.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Teikanmi posted:

funny you mention that, they're both only good in very small, specific instances

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Yes, fat drug addicted millionaires. The Voices of reason.

So they're goons with money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to watch a Giant Bomb video once and my nose started bleeding and I became temporarily both retarded and autistic.

• Locked thread