Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Vinja Ninja posted:

I hope they release dragon quest builders with a American Silver slime Console PS 4.5, and the silver slime Vita, then I will buy both, and my life will be complete.

Only if they re-release this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Valve has no reason to release a game that can't possibly live up to people's expectations when Steam already makes them all the money in the world

They haven't released a good game since Portal 2. :/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

:lol: at all the posters turning into Jack Thompson and :qq: about violent video games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Actually The Last Guardian will be out in 4 months. Pinky swear.

Let's be honest, having a release date for Last Guardian which is this year pretty much cancels out any other TBD.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Valve has Dota 2 now, so they no longer have to make any other game ever again I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sinteres posted:

:lol: at all the posters turning into Jack Thompson and :qq: about violent video games.

"We want to take a moment to acknowledge the terrible gun massacre of a few days ago. And now, here to present the sequel to Hatred..."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I said come in! posted:

They haven't released a good game since Portal 2. :/

Dota 2 and TF2 hats probably earn them more money in a week than Portal 2 did ever

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i hope i can be girl link in the new zelda game like the rumors say

and then she kisses the princess

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

I don't think this game will ever come out. I wonder why Gabe Newell canceled it tho.

As the other guy said, yeah, they won't release it because it's too hyped and no one will be satisfied so they don't wanna ruin their legacy

I said come in! posted:

Has there been anything new on Star Citizen? Is that game canceled yet?

there's a whole subforum for that, and the answer is "it's close"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Hey, Dead Rising 2 for PC/Last Gen had some great hordes and was reasonably fun. It let you run over hordes of zombies with a weaponized lawnmower contraption while cross-dressing in a sundress with a teddy bear head.

Shame about Dead Rising 3

For as boring as the demo was, Days Gone had some neat crowd physics going on. Reminded me of World War Z and the CGI zombie wave crashing through Jerusalem was the only good thing about that movie.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Dota 2 and TF2 hats probably earn them more money in a week than Portal 2 did ever

I get that but I love Half-Life and to see the conclusion. :/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

univbee posted:

Let's be honest, having a release date for Last Guardian which is this year pretty much cancels out any other TBD.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

As the other guy said, yeah, they won't release it because it's too hyped and no one will be satisfied so they don't wanna ruin their legacy

I dunno, to me their legacy is ruined by not making the sequel.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

violent video games are good and fun unless they are not fun or good. Spec Ops: The Line being an example of a good, but not fun game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Honestly I doubt Valve would need an E3 announcement if they wanted to release HL3.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I said come in! posted:

I dunno, to me their legacy is ruined by not making the sequel.

The Half Life 2 writer left. There's no one to continue the story. Whatever the outcome you had in your head will be better than anything they could possibly do from here onward.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

univbee posted:

"We want to take a moment to acknowledge the terrible gun massacre of a few days ago. And now, here to present the sequel to Hatred..."

I get why it's tonally awkward, but getting all sadbrains because game companies didn't cancel every violent game they've had in development after one particularly deadly shooting incident in a culture full of routine shootings is really dumb.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 14, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kelp Plankton posted:

i hope i can be girl link in the new zelda game like the rumors say

and then she kisses the princess

Same

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

there's a whole subforum for that, and the answer is "it's close"

Two more weeks, guys! Two more weeks!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Saoshyant posted:

The Half Life 2 writer left. There's no one to continue the story. Whatever the outcome you had in your head will be better than anything they could possibly do from here onward.

He retired because the script for Half Life 3 has already been written and he realized that he will never create something so pure and beautiful again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Whatever the outcome you had in your head will be better than anything they could possibly do from here onward.

Sounds like Valve should just hire him then!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sony didn't crush it or anything. It was cool that they showed games, but the presentation itself would've been better as a stream of Youtube videos. Having people talk is actually kinda useful. The VR block was a massive disappointment and Days Gone was an unimpressive way to end - both could have used more context. Infinite Warfare went from looking neat to looking like another CoD game. God of War and Horizon were incredible looking, though.

Still better than talking about Powers, though.

Teikanmi posted:

But what of it? Do people actually buy Nintendo products/games anymore? I don't know anyone who has a Nintendo console in TYOL 2016

That's... kinda weird, actually. I know more people with 3DS than PS4. The WiiU is also just a fantastic system, despite lack of third party support.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Teikanmi posted:

But what of it? Do people actually buy Nintendo products/games anymore? I don't know anyone who has a Nintendo console in TYOL 2016

I own both a 3DS and Wii U and I am looking forward to seeing what they have on sale

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

I get why it's tonally awkward, but getting all sadbrains because game companies didn't cancel every violent game they've had in development after one particularly violent shooting in a culture full of routine shootings is really dumb.

You have to remember that absolutely nobody here who gets up in arms over violence in videogames actually gives a poo poo about violence in reality or in videogames. At least, until a big enough incident occurs, then they feel obligated to claim the moral high ground for a few days, hashtag a couple self-serving prayers to the latest victims of gun violence, maybe vigorously wring their hands in the process of an epic post about how terrible everything is in videogames/america/the world, before they, like everyone else, remember that they don't actually give a poo poo and they stop posting about it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I get why it's tonally awkward, but getting all sadbrains because game companies didn't cancel every violent game they've had in development after one particularly deadly shooting incident in a culture full of routine shootings is really dumb.

I can be sad at the same time I happily mow down hundreds of people and acknowledge these conflicting feelings, my emotions aren't mutually exclusive

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

fivegears4reverse posted:

You have to remember that absolutely nobody here who gets up in arms over violence in videogames actually gives a poo poo about violence in reality or in videogames. At least, until a big enough incident occurs, then they feel obligated to claim the moral high ground for a few days, hashtag a couple self-serving prayers to the latest victims of gun violence, maybe vigorously wring their hands in the process of an epic post about how terrible everything is in videogames/america/the world, before they, like everyone else, remember that they don't actually give a poo poo and they stop posting about it.

I agree, and that's what's most irritating about it. Hey everyone, check out my cool moral stand where I poo poo on game companies for a day by using dead people as a prop for my feigned outrage. I don't mean to single anyone out, and I'm not saying every game is tasteful, but there was a lot of this in the thread yesterday.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 14, 2016

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Loved the new Doom, but Days Gone irked me a bit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I kinda felt bad for the guys in the CoD demo who got sucked out that window.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I listened to the Giant Bomb podcast a few times and I've never heard someone talk about games who seems to have so little fun with them as Jeff Gerstmann.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

TheScott2K posted:

I kinda felt bad for the guys in the CoD demo who got sucked out that window.

That's what they get for not buckling their seatbelts or whatever.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Squeenix is at 12, right? Are they talking about FFXIV at all, or just FFVII R and FFXV?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Little Mac posted:

The VR block was a massive disappointment

No snark intended, what were your expectations here? What would not have disappointed you?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Fifteen of Many posted:

I listened to the Giant Bomb podcast a few times and I've never heard someone talk about games who seems to have so little fun with them as Jeff Gerstmann.

everyone over age 30 who's been playing video games since they were a child is jeff gerstmann, in my experience

its impossible to not become jaded after seeing the same cycles play out like they do over and over. you can see jeff get excited when something new actually happens, which is usually not at e3

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Literally nobody is freaking out over violent video games, I don't know where you're getting that from. You can't deny the irony, though, in holding a moment of silence for the Orlando victims, and then showing off games that are mostly murderfests.

I am excited for Zelda, and I will be happy with Nintendo as long as they don't botch it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fifteen of Many posted:

Gerstmann has nothing of value to contribute to any conversation except when he talks about how fun and fancy free games journalism was in the 90s.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

youcallthatatwist posted:

Literally nobody is freaking out over violent video games, I don't know where you're getting that from. You can't deny the irony, though, in holding a moment of silence for the Orlando victims, and then showing off games that are mostly murderfests.

I am excited for Zelda, and I will be happy with Nintendo as long as they don't botch it.

You wanna see irony? Check this out

https://amp.twimg.com/v/ffcd4b55-0d80-4a63-9f31-fc0bb617a29c

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Paul Ryan should make all of his moments silent

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Sony already won E3 so I don't know why we're having any more events.

I'm catching up and watching Ubisoft's now and holy gently caress talk about tone deaf. You can't talk about a serious topic like terrorist attacks when you have a person in a giraffe costume wearing a monocle and bowtie kneeling right next to you. Thanks for making me laugh myself to tears over brutal, real-world violence Aisha Tyler.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kelp Plankton posted:

everyone over age 30 who's been playing video games since they were a child is jeff gerstmann, in my experience

its impossible to not become jaded after seeing the same cycles play out like they do over and over. you can see jeff get excited when something new actually happens, which is usually not at e3

Basically this. Pretty much every reviewer who's been doing this for the last 15-20 years comes across as a jaded misanthrope. Just look at Alex Navarro, although it is fair to say he was a jaded misanthrope for most of his adult life.

For what it's worth, my favorite parts of the Bombcasts are the parts where they specifically are not talking about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0oP0v4fvkw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE-tKEqEU6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the most unexpected and exciting thing I've seen so far has been Resident Evil 7

I'll miss the action-movie kicking and wrestling zombies stuff from 4/5/6 but it will be nice to play it as an atmospheric bleak horror game again

• Locked thread