Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You don't need a Switch for BotW, though, so that's not exactly a point in its favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I don't have a Wii U.

Mm. Can't blame you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mahoning posted:

Polygon called it "The hardest Zelda game ever made" which is awesome, but also means I may be throwing some controllers around.

That's encouraging but let's all have a gentle reminder that Polygon is worse at games than babies, epileptics, and most varieties of fish.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RCarr posted:

Your choices are:

A) Pay an inflated price for a Switch on Ebay

B) Wait until they are in stock

Enjoy!

Or, if you have a Wii U, you can probably just save $400 and deal with the game in 720p.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Update. Reddit has a guy with an early Wii U copy, doing an AMA. Shown screen shots (no real spoilers, and talks about frame rate. )Game runs great! Looks very good, and only dips when it's a combo of heavy weather effects and a lot going on. He says it doesn't effect the experience much, and is loving it.

That's the news I was waiting to hear.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

spasticColon posted:

I tried to get a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo's online store but it wouldn't take my card and they don't accept PayPal. And what loving year does Nintendo live in that they won't accept PayPal?!

Nintendo, like many consumers, believes things were best when you were twelve.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I finally gave the Wind Waker remaster a spin to remind myself how my Wii U worked and arrrrgh the bloom

Between this and Twilight Princess, Nintendo had a real love affair with bloom lighting for a while, seems like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

axeil posted:

so were all the skyward sword/twilight princess reviews "BEST GAME EVER HOLY poo poo" before release? because it seems that's how all the reviews are trending and i'm getting worrying amounts of hype seeing them all come in. i mean the friggin' kotaku article said the only con was that you can't remap the buttons.

:ohdear:

Yes, both TP and SS were given a glowing reception at release. Skyward Sword less so, but Zelda games have always been number one with a bullet in review scores.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The Switch looks DOA to such a degree that even if Breath of the Wild runs like the Last Guardian on Wii U I still wouldn't get one. Hell, I regret buying the Wii U, sort of. Hyrule Warriors was great but Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade X were my big hopes for that console and they both kind of sucked!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
One thing in the Eurogamer review that I kind of leered at was the whole "the writing is worse than in OoT and MM but that doesn't matter anyway!" I mean, the scripts in those two were nothing to scream about anyway, but I still remember the casts.

Oh, well. More likely the NPC's will be closer to those in Twilight Princess, which had maybe two characters who were remotely memorable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Your best bet will probably be to wait for Digital Foundry to upload one. It'll be spoiler-free and pretty in-depth if it's like any of their other comparisons.

Well, that's better than I expected and also fills me with a small amount of dread because now I have no idea how I'm going to play Horizon, Zelda, and Nier: Automata all at the same time :psyduck:

Controller in each hand, controller in mouth, HDMI cables plugged directly into brain stem

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I lost my Pro controller's charge cable and while I know it's not proprietary none of the other half-dozen USB cables I have lying around fit the drat thing, very annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

havenwaters posted:

It's mini USB. So same as the ps3 controller.

Yeah, never had one of those. It's no big deal, I can just use the Gamepad. Chances are pretty slim I'll be playing the Wii U for any other reason after this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJ posted:

https://my.mixtape.moe/trsulp.webm

It's obviously the ragdoll physics calculations locking it up.

Yikes, that's bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Oh God I stumbled onto A Major Test of Strength and everything hurts

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Probably super basic but early on the old man I could have his fleece jacket or whatever if I could make the raw meat and pepper recipe from his diary.

Did that, have it in my inventory but he'a still not handing it over. What now?

You cooked raw meat + pepper + fish? Because that's the recipe he needs.

If you don't want to bother then he'll also give you the doublet if you climb to the very peak of that snowy mountain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

So how is the sword//weapon play in this game. is there a Zelda game that it's more similar too? I always felt like the swordplay in WW was the best, and I just want to gauge how LONK handles himself this time around.

It's way more in-depth and I am getting my rear end kicked regularly. All weapons have basic slashes and charge attacks, but there's also a perfect guard and parry system and enemies themselves tend to be much smarter about how they fight (especially with bomb spam).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

AM I crazy for thinking it should not be THIS hard to find and kill a boar? Because so far thats my hardest challenge witht he game so far.

The Forest of Spirits is lousy with the drat things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

What the hell can you do with chuchu jelly? It doesn't seem to work in elixirs or food.

It's an armor upgrade material, at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

This happened several times during the blue flame quest it was awful, also it seems to rain everytime I'm in the middle of a mountain range, both times I literally just sit there reading the forums on my phone waiting for the rain to go away.

It seems to disappear way faster if you actually go someplace else. Not, like, teleporting, just walking twenty yards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Does anyone know where to find the fragmented monument pieces at Palmorae Ruins? Been looking everywhere and only found two.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I feel like Nintendo's persistent inability to understand how modern games "work" played to their advantage this time around.

Like, open-world games aren't supposed to be like this. Most of them boil down to ten thousand collectible icons on a map and a lot of empty space because developers are worried that players will get aggravated if they feel like there's too much content they're missing, so everything is signposted and labeled and collated for our convenience and it feels like running down a checklist after the first couple of hours or so.

Nintendo meanwhile created this gigantic map with a huge variety of biomes, puzzles, and activities with only the bare minimum of tutorializing and then just kind of shrugged and walked away because they never got the memo on the hand-holding part of the design.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, sold off most of the junk I had been collecting and got over 1000 ruupies. Now I can unlock the Great Fairy.

*Sees that she needs stuff to upgrade clothes*

AHHHH gently caress!

Yeah, never sell any kind of enemy vendor trash. You'll need all of it for something or another.

If you need fast cash, stick to selling ore. You'll need that for other purposes too, but at least it gives you so many Rupees you can easily restore your stock.

Don't sell diamonds, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ChibiSoma posted:

Ahahahahaha gently caress this game and everyone who worked on it.

Hey Nintendo, you know what you shouldn't do if you have a challenge that strips your gear, prevents you from ever manually or auto-saving, and then tasks you with killing a strong enemy? NOT MAKING THE ENEMY RANDOMLY DESPAWN AND THEN RESPAWN AT FULL loving HEALTH AGAIN! Maybe that! Maybe you shouldn't do that exact thing!

And now I get to start Eventide all over again. I was using the boulders. I kinesis'd more than one straight into his nuts. But in the cycle of him waking up, me running up the slope to the campsite to escape his one-hit-kill swings, and jumping off to wait for him to come down and go back to sleep, he just vanished out of existence! I ran around for awhile, he respawned, I shoved a boulder down on him and oh hey rad he's back to full. He had one more boulder's worth of health left. So I said gently caress it, ran at him, and let him kill me. gently caress that noise, that's bullshit.

Also bullshit? Starting back at the nearby shrine and having to slowly raft your way over as Octoroks pelt you with their perfect god drat accuracy. Full charge swing of the leaf, going at like 50mph, an Octorok still 360 no-scopes Link in the back of the head.

Hello again, ChibiSoma. Why are you still here. Why are you still anywhere.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

You can find the Hylian Pants in the plateau and I hear people talk about a climbing set I've never been able to find

Here you go.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also how the gently caress am I supposed to fight these Lyonel nerds. Ganon looking lightning shooting centaur motherfuckers. They're about the only monster so far, outside of guardians that I just run away from.

Run like hell, mostly. Lyonels have a whopping 2000 HP, they might be even nastier than Guardians.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Is there a good guide to what materials I should hang onto for future armor upgrading? I'm paranoid about selling anything but also I want some rupees :ohdear:

Sell ore (except Diamonds, they're too rare to part with). Save everything else.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This game. I finished collecting all the spirit orbs, doing the one in the snowy mountain area last and instead of fast traveling back, I decided to walk it, which was an awesome idea.

I ran into some manner of boss character though that is some sort of giant rock monster that I'm not even sure I can beat yet, at least I haven't figured it out anyway. I'm assuming I can just run away from something like that and come back later if needed?

Also on the cold weather front if you cook apples and hot peppers together it gives you a meal that grants 8 real-time minutes of cold invulnerability. I wouldn't have made it to the snowy spirit orb without that

That "boss monster" respawns, yeah, and they're scattered all throughout the world. Beating them nets you a bunch of ore you can sell for quick cash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zore posted:

They have variants with 3k and 4k as well :shepicide:.

aaaaaaahhhhhhh

I met my first one in the tropical region and decided to run after it started shooting lightning at me because that poo poo is way above my pay grade. After paragliding down the mountain I figured I could catch a breather. That was when the Lynel loving teleported down, less than six feet away from me.

Me: :stare:
Lynel: :getin:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

snoremac posted:

Crazy attention to detail: during rain you can safely climb the root of a large toadstool because it's sheltered by the top, but the edge of the top is still slippery.

During the jungle area's fifth thunderstorm of the day I huddled under one of those shabby lean-to's to get dry enough to start a fire and thought, "oh, so that's what these things are for."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Even rubies or sapphires? I thought those were necessary for weapons or armor crafting or something. (If I can sell rubies, I'll be pretty happy, though.)

As far as I know all the gems are used for crafting in some capacity. Everything is used for crafting. Lizards and flowers are used for crafting.

Most of the gems aren't terribly rare, though, and they sell for so much dosh that you won't need to drive yourself crazy farming them. Except, again, diamonds. They do drop out of ore deposits (I was lucky enough to find one) but it's a once-in-a-blue-moon kind of thing and otherwise they're handed out as rewards for fairly involved sidequests.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So where is the Old Man's Hut on the Great Plateau?

South end of the region, in a patch of woods near the foot of the mountain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I just used an amiibo and it started raining fish from the sky :stare:

Then I looked up what the different amiibo effects are and now I'm super mad that there are amazing armor sets that I'll never get :qq: I need that classic Link set in my life...

I'm a little miffed because I had that amiibo somehow and I'm pretty sure I threw it out while moving.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I've been wondering, what's the "intended" route in this game? I've been to a lot of really terrifying areas (central hyrule, mount lanayru, that horrible tower with all the lightning wizzrobes and black/yellow lizalfos) and fought a lot of stuff I have no business fighting with like 4 hearts and a 12 dmg sword. I went to Kakariko pretty early, as well as the Hateno lab but then I just kinda went all over the place after that. I think I read someone in this thread suggesting Zora -> Gerudo -> ??? I can't really remember.

The game nudges you towards the Zora first, I think, since the first memory hint directs you to the base of Lanayru and the Zora encounter you on the way. After that I think it's anything goes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Man, the dialogue in this game is bad

Not remotely.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Speaking of those guys, is there a good trick to fighting the ones where the ore weak spot isn't on top? The ones where it's on top are really easy--just climb up and beat on the weak spot--but when it's on their back or something I have a hell of a time. The only time I killed one of those was by running in circles around it painstakingly blowing off its arms with bombs and getting in a couple hits each time (while trying not to let it fall on me when it leaned forward to rebuild its arms). It was... not a fun experience. Fucker didn't even drop anything but ambers and flints, too.

Just climb on its back, drop off so that you're standing on the weak spot, and start swinging. You'll hit it anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Does anyone know where to find the fragmented monument pieces at Palmorae Ruins? Been looking everywhere and only found two.

Gonna repost this now that it's been a few days, those stupid chunks of rock are a pain in my rear end.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Theres one to the south on the tip of the Cape

I got that one and the one on the shore directly west of the ruins. There's another that I can't find.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ymgve posted:

There is one to the east of the ruins, just follow the shoreline, it's among some rocks iirc

drat it, I must have checked that spot a dozen times. I'll give it another pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Climbed Mt. Lanayru on a lark and boy, that sure went places.

The prize is a little underwhelming given the buildup, though.