Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I will be getting any and all collectors edition consoles of this, since ocarina of time and majoras mask already made me buy 3 separate 3dses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There's videos of rafts being used with a Korok leaf to propel it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBgyRC9i6w&t=1281s

that looks absolutely arduous as gently caress.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Rime posted:

I guess this confirms there's literally nothing you can't climb as long as you have the stamina. Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

I really hope we get a hookshot or two.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

I still preferred the duel clawshots.

Clawshot was restricted in what you could latch to. Hookshots were more of a specific surface thing. I just more want to go point to point on most any surface, being able to hang off the line inbetween spots optional.

Better yet, give me fantasy just cause 3.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 27, 2016

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

All Zelda games forevermore should be required to have Bomb Arrows, which was TP's greatest innovation. I hear that there is a sort of trick to accomplish a similar "bazooka" effect in Link's Awakening; I need to play that!

Bombs on A, bow on B. pressing them in quick succession, bombs right before bow.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I got mod approval to post about this, so here it is.

Does anyone know much about the Alttp randomizer? It's a romhack of a link to the past where they randomize chest contents.

https://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer

Differences from the normal game

from their page posted:

There are a number of differences from a randomized game to the normal game. Here's a short list:

The game text is in Japanese (this obviously isn't different if you are used to playing in Japanese. See below for why.)
Chest items and items given to you by the bottle vendor, Sahasrahla, the flute boy, the sick kid, the purple chest, the hobo under the bridge, the catfish, King Zora, and the old mountain man are randomized. Note that this doesn't include chests in the various chest games throughout Hyrule.
The rupee maximum is now 9999.
You can't turn the tree kid to wood. This is to prevent being unable to get his item.
Escaping the castle at the beginning of the game no longer requires the lamp.
In the light world, you don't need the Lamp to see in the dark.
In the dark world, the crystals will display on your inventory screen even if you haven't defeated Agahnim.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Also, there's four eerie monoliths in front of Hyrule Castle, so...

My (obvious) guess is that there's 4 dungeons obscured by the clouds. do something to clear clouds > clear dungeon > unlock that pillar > 4 pillars > castle.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Wait so there are only four dungeons in BotW?

This game is getting less exciting every day.

4 dungeons, most likely 5. Over 100 'shrines' or minidungeons.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The short answer is "yes, he definitely was" but "not officially."

I think hyrule historia made it 'official' that they were the same.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I hope this has Gorons in it.

I want to be able to spawn planks and poo poo for pure physics-based fuckery.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

greatn posted:

I never get the complaint about the voice in LTTP for GBA. Link shouts when he swings his sword in every single game after the original version and no one bats an eye. Why is it suddenly unbearably annoying?

Because you often button mash and it does it for every press.

Hyah-h-hhy-h-h-h...

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Really only Jabu Jabu is annoying and boring. The Deku Tree is pretty easy and Dodongo isn't that bad. Jabu Jabu is a dumpster fire though.

I like jabu jabu and the master quest version doubles down on the weirdness. The only complaint is the midboss is a slog.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Is this the phase of the zelda cycle where we just randomly poo poo on an older game with unwarranted whinings?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

MokBa posted:

Can't wait to run around Hyrule in my Official Nintendo® Switch™ T-Shirt.
$20 says The dlc is the only way to get the iconic green tunic outfit.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
What are all the zelda related amiibos?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Speadruns of this game are going to be LEGENDARY

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Appearntly you can just run over to Ganon's Castle and try to kill him from the near start.

It's more about how fast you can get there. i fully expect some crazy jackass level shenanigans to get off the plateau.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
There's 4 main dungeons and then the castle.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Has anyone explained how the game corrals you at the boundaries of the map?

bottomless pit (north edge) and maybe unclimbable walls?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Goddamn, give it more puzzle mechanics and enemies and that would make an amazing zelda-maker.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

I bought a bunch of bomb arrows and they don't explode. Did I buy duds or am I doing something wrong? There's a bomb arrow on the front of my bow, I shoot it and it hits something but doesn't explode on impact.

is it raining?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Have you done any testing against talus/hinox/lynel?

I know offhand lynels shrug off thunder rod balls and won't drop weapons. But i haven't seen if weapons affect the elemental talus. Hinox i think can get stunned, but they are in general easy to punk as is.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

Lynels shrug off all the elements except for Urbosa's Fury. I don't know about the ice taluses, but the igneo ones are temporarily cooled by frost weapons.

Does urbosas make them drop weapon or is killing them outright the only way to get their poo poo?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Do gems have another purpose outside selling them to make money? Coworkers and I are wondering as one sells them, another's hoarding them (I do too) and I don't want to sell them if there's a better use for them at another point.

About the only things i wouldn't sell are lynel parts and star fragments. And thats only if you can't fight lynels well.

Gems can be farmed easily via rounding up talus locations or mining spots. They also drop from high end (white with purple markings) boko and moblins.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

A future game could be designed around it, though. Like maybe it can only hook on to wooden things (any wooden object, not just pre-set hookshot points) and has a limited range, but you can use it to do things like launch yourself into a glide.

Just cause 2/3.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Need a hint on a puzzle. I'm supposed to cast a cold shadow on a pillar? I thought maybe ice arrows but that doesn't really explain the shadow part

if it's the slanted pedestal to the south west of the map...

hold a snowball over your head so that when the pedestal lights up, the snowball covers the center of the pedestal

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

The first lynel is the point where, if you haven't been bothering to use food buffs or upgrade armor, you can hit kind of a brick wall. It's cool though because it encourages you to use all the systems to prepare for the fight, kinda like The Witcher.

Or you sneak around and get the arrows like the questgivers tell you to. Does anyone pay any goddamned attention?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

This might surprise you but people complete quests in different ways.

Or people could not pay attention and constantly bitch when they hit said brick wall.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

d0grent posted:

Can someone just tell me what region the 10k fairy is in? I don't want to know the specific location, I still want to explore and stumble on it.

There are three fairy fountains. North east, south west, east. The cost is whatever order you unlock them.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kashuno posted:

there are four fairy fountains??

4th isn't involved with gear upgrades.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Cost of the last fairy is 10k, right?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Is it only the giant horse that gives the whole "i'm going to murder you" look when you catch it? Because holy gently caress when i first saw that. :stare:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Here's my strategy for almost every fight in this game.

3. Turn off Urbosa's Fury

You can hit B mid spin attack to cancel it and not waste urbosa's.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fortis posted:

Wait. White Lynels aren't the same thing as Silver Lynels?!
Oh god. :negative:

On another note entirely, I find it pretty interesting that after you finish Vah Naboris, Urbosa says that Calamity Ganon "once took the form of a Gerudo." I wonder if that's a result of weird translation or if they're intentionally conflating Demise and Ganon.

Isn't it just directly referencing Ganondorf in OoT?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
A couple of the other quests lead there from the gerudo town.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

C-SPAN Caller posted:

You can also wear the sand boots, thunder helm, and revealing top and not trigger it.

Yes, I experimented.

You can wear anything in the gsc too.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The number of blessing shrines is my biggest letdown with the game so far.

When I see a giant target painted on the side of a mountain that might as well say SHOOT LIGHTNING ARROWS HERE I should get an awesome puzzle to do as a reward, not get told "you solved the puzzle so here's your spirit orb."

Those and combat shrines have to take up at least half of the total.

The best though are the trolling puzzle shrines. there was one map designer who loving loved his job.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Roundabout Route posted:

Whoops. Just double-checked and yeah, it's 500 meters. Also that video doesn't start at Tabantha Tower, it starts at another tower closer to Hyrule Field. Herpaderp.

Doesn't change the fact that the Twilight Bow is absolutely obscene and I hate that Nintendo charges you $12.99 for it, IF you can find the amiibo in the first place.

I can't even imagine how obnoxious a Darknut fight would be with degradable weapons. It'd take half of my stick of choice's durability just to get its armor off before I could actually start damaging it. I could only see it working as a special end-of-area boss that gives you its armor afterwards as an equippable set.

gently caress Redeads too, getting frozen by Ice Keese/Chuchus in this game is annoying enough.

I hear a lot of people complain about enemy variety in this game but I honestly believe the developers made the best choices they could considering how they backed themselves into a corner with the durability system. Weapons break so frequently that if the devs put a lot of enemies in the game that don't carry weapons, it would actively hurt the player's experience. It's why we don't see Bari, Kargoroks, Peahats, Tektites, Skulltulas, or Leevers in this game. The few weaponless enemies that the developers did put in also wound up having low health because of this.

With this in mind, I dunno what other enemies they could put in and still maintain the game's balance. Maybe monsters that don't use weapons could have their body parts fall off like the Stalfos arms in this game. Bombchu tails as explosive flails, Skulltula legs as boomerangs...

i think darknuts would fall into the same slot as lynels, a rare challenge you go out of the way to do for their drops. For low/mid tier stuff, I'd definately want helmarocks (free shields) and likelikes. Maybe the crow from mm. There isn't much else i can think of that would use or give gear.

I definately like that they went back to the obscure enemies to bring lynels in.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

There's no math or anything needed in the game. The number listed on the item is the damage it does. Unless it crits, in which case it will do more damage on the last hit in a combo. Bows that are x3 or x5 or whatever will just shoot that number of arrows but each arrow does the damage listed on the bow.

Because of the spread of multi arrow bows, i think a x3 lynel bow with an attack+ mod is better at mid to long ange than a x5 bow without attack+, even though cumulatively the 5 arrows will do more. Since with the spread only 1-2 arrows can hit a weakpoint and even on some larger targets, a x5 spread will probably miss the far left and right arrows. A x5 bow up close is better though just for pumping 5 shots into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

I go murder Lynels because I'm still upgrading the soldier and barb sets. Once I've got that done I'll probably finish off the shrine tests. Do you get the 120 prize for finding all of them, or only once you've completed them all?

completion. Its a message to go to the forgotten temple right after getting the final spirit orb