Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
While it's on my mind:

The Beasts seem to be named after the OOT Sages governing those 'elements'. So Rudania is actually Darunia anagram'd, Rutah is Ruto, Nabooris Nabooru... but what's with Medoh? Since Rito weren't around in OOT, I guess he gets a pass, but I'd have thought they'd do something with Valoo.

Second, a cute little Majora's Mask reference: I would bet money that the sound Guardians make when you murder them is the very same sound from the Alien Invasion In MM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

One interesting thing about Tarrey Town is different between the Japanese and English versions. In the English version, you have to find people whose names end in -son, but in Japanese it's finding people whose names end in -da, which ironically means that Zelda qualifies. Every Japanese player I've seen whose hit that point has made that joke.

Rito weren't in OoT, but they debuted in Wind Waker, where the sage of earth is Medli.

I... I knew that. :cripes:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

The Legend of Zelda: Truffle Kerfuffle

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

I think they could have done more in this genre as far as unique treasures go. Maybe traditional dungeon items can come back in the form of convenience items, you know? Hookshot fits this role as a thing to help with climbing great distances, or getting your batman on, for instance. Pegasus boots make you run faster and give you a new/special dashing attack. A magic lantern so you always have a touch on hand without using a weapon slot, and fires lit with it won't go out in the rain. A monocle of truth that lets you see hit points without restricting your armor.

Satisfying prizes, none of which are necessary but all of which I'd totally do a big dungeon for.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

I don't know why everyone says Thunderblight was so hard. I dunno, maybe it was because I had the master sword, but he kinda went down like a chump for me. Granted, I took him on third, and now I'm working on the last Voltron before I go to my rematch with Triple G, but once I figured out the magnet thing, the rest seemed to just be blocking him and retaliating. No muss, no fuss. Does he have some tactic I didn't see besides teleporting like a dork and the magnetic spire trick?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Without spoiling it completely, could someone give me a hint as to where to find Dinraal? I know I need to offer a scale from 'em, and I've found Farosh and Naydra, but the only thing I'm getting from the statue at the spring is "I, Goddess Hylia, will show you the way". And I guess I'm not smart enough to use that hint. If I hang around until sunset, will Dinraal appear or something? Maybe I'm missing something.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Man, I stayed up till five in the morning last night to do it, but I finally put this game in the ground after 120 shrines, some 200 korok seeds, maximally upgraded armor and all the memories. So now you all have to read what I thought, in no particular order.

-First off, I really, really, really liked it. I haven't been this invested in a Zelda game since Majora's Mask. I liked Wind Waker, but it lacked that element of dangerous adventure that MM presented with such menacing consistency. With Breath of the Wild, I felt like a little kid lost in a mall, at first. You wake up alone, with nothing, only to be told that 100 years have passed since you and Zelda blew it, and now practically everyone you know is gone. The world is unfamiliar and hostile, dangers like being cold or getting caught out in water can be lethal, and you have no one to help you or comfort you and a huge, impossible task to do. As you go along in the game, not only do you win the friendship and support of people around Hyrule, you become steadily stronger, steadily better armored, so at the end, it really feels like you triumphed. I liked that about the game. There was a clear arc where I steadily became the master of all that I saw. Driving the final nail with the whole final boss fight really put a lovely feather in the game's hat. I don't give a gently caress if Ganon's final form was easy, it looked awesome and the set piece alone was enough to totally sell me.

- When I found the big horse, I named him Ganon. I felt like, if the big bad were watching, he might like to know that I was gonna ride him like a little pony when I finally got up there. :argh:

-Korok seeds were a great design idea. I never felt like there were long stretches of nothing, and even solving simple puzzles gave me a little buzz. As a consequence, once I'd learned to see them, it never felt really boring traveling anywhere because I was always picking up these little dudes and their... uh... poop. Tying it to inventory progression was a pretty solid idea, although I feel like they could have used more types of inventory space. Say you couldn't just have infinite arrows hanging around- a larger quiver would be a really nice prize. More weapon slots is really cool at first, but kinda peters out around the time you're shelling out 25 or so seeds for one space. Yaaay, one more royal halberd.

-I think the game could have benefited a little from a default, very weak weapon. As it is, if you grind yourself down to absolutely nothing, Link can't even punch- all you've got are some bombs and whatever the environment has for you. I think being given a default, crappy sword to swing around as a last resort would be nice. Maybe have an upgrade process that turns it into the White Sword like LoZ, or eventually have it replaced with the master sword. Do I still have to spoil that? Better safe than sorry.

-Shield surfing was fuckin' boss. More of that.

-I'm sticking to my earlier post in saying that the game needed more unique items, specifically more convenience items. The Hookshot as an unbreakable bow would work really nicely here, obviously, but a horse summoning charm, some way to see enemy health without equipping a tunic, speedy dashing and a lantern to carry fire would have been super cool here. Hell, why not have a mirror shield that regenerates over time? Sure you don't need it, but who cares? It's unique and cool, and you always have it. And hell, as long as we're wishing, stick 'em in huge Hyrule Castle style dungeons. Hell yeah. Replace that old dungeon item concept with cool convenience fixes. I guarantee people will still be excited to dive into a dungeon for something that makes your horse show up no matter where you left it.

-I sorta liked the holding system. It was doofy and not exactly a streamlined way to do things, but it felt natural. Watching yourself dump an armload of flowers and meat and junk into a pot is a pleasant way to connect players with the idea that they're out in the wilderness cooking stuff to survive. Rather than one icon merely changing into another, you know what I mean?

-I'm torn between liking shrines, and wishing they'd just slapped a few together and put a heart container at the end of it.

-Good minigame music. Hell, good music in general. Really good music. I'm looking at you, menacing cuban Hinox jazz.

-The final pieces of armor you get for finishing out all 120 shrines looks really goofy. I was kind of excited to look like Link after all that time, but whoever suggested short shorts can go right to hell. :mad:

-I'd have rather had a magic meter (yay more stuff to upgrade) than a timer on the runes. Maybe it regenerates? I don't know, I just think there's some interesting resource management choices to be made.

-I appreciated the Zelda in this game. It was nice to see her struggling with her destiny. Usually in these games Link does all the work, Zelda shows up and curtsies and locks Ganon right the gently caress back up. I appreciated getting the chance to see her expressing her personality while trying to get a grip on the enormity of the responsibility thrust upon her, and totally failing to get it under control in time. It made charging in to rescue her at the end feel more heroic, more necessary. She's been pinning Ganon down for the last 100 years, she's alone and afraid, and what's worse is that it's mostly her fault. You are the last card she has left to play and she drat near played it 100 years ago at Fort Hateno. So as you get more memories, you come to realize that you aren't just some destined savior who gets special birthday gifts and a cool triangle tattoo on his hand as the descendant. You're here because you're the best Hyrule has ever seen and your friend desperately needs you to step up to the plate before everything goes dark forever. Kinda gave Link a Roland of Gilead feel, joining the knights at a young age, taking the sword and all that. Good poo poo.

-I dunno how I did it, but I managed to find Thunderblight really easy, and Waterblight really hard. I... didn't think of using Cryonis.

-I kinda like the implications of a lot of the sidequests in the game. Tarry Town, especially, felt like you were taking the first steps towards rebuilding, even before Ganon is taken care of. Buying a house is kind of like Link being confident enough in himself to say 'I'll need this later' when he doesn't really even know if there will be a later after he goes marching into the castle. Building the town is like saying 'there will be a future, I'm going to make sure of it'. The music incorporating all of the different instruments used by the different races' themes was like a cherry on top of the cake. And a wedding! :3: Nothing feels better than a wedding when the whole world is under the gun.

FisheyStix fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 10, 2017

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Kazy posted:

Over 140 hours into this game and I just now figured out you can search those broken wagons. :stare:

what

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Apparently there's a drat paragliding course on Eventide Island after you beat the Shrine Quest there??? Hell yeah!
Also: just saw the final Kass song. That's really cool and again something I can't believe is so easily missable.

I think that little song and the way he affects the music in the Rito Village are the best quest rewards in the game. :3: But I'm super sentimental.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Modulga are fun, and they have probably the best music track in the entire game (!)

You kids like kazoos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbR7wb7ezGg

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

It means we want a game where Link says 'gently caress you, Ganon, you pussy rear end bitch" and then takes a huge bite out of a korok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

I'm almost upset your main complaint wasn't Link talking. :colbert: