Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Okay this is driving me nuts. How do you avoid lightning in the storms? I can't move around at all, I start getting little shocks and then about five seconds later instant death. I tried removing everything metal but that hasn't helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Did you remove your bow?

That was it. Easy to overlook it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirios posted:

Friendly reminder that prior to Breath of the Wild, people used to defend Skyward Sword as a good game.

lol.

Skyward Sword was the best 3D Zelda game. Of course, that's now past tense.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harrow posted:

I actually want to know what people liked about Skyward Sword, because I dropped it pretty early--it just didn't click with me in any way at all. I've only really read/watched negative opinions on it so I'd actually really like to see the other side. I think I owe it another chance, probably.

Best dungeon design by a mile in any of the 3D Zeldas, great upgrades, the combat system really worked well with some really cool bosses. The biggest problem is it really downplayed exploration but since all of the 3D Zeldas have been really lovely at that until Breath of the Wild I didn't mind (I'm looking at you Wind Waker with ten minute stretches of nothing if I ever want to go anywhere).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Finally got the Master Sword. Maybe I should check out that town the King mentioned sometime soon...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Section Z posted:

It's shrine specific. I found my first Major test of weapon durability before ever seeing any Minor ones :v:

Let me tell yah, running across several Minor tests later is real refreshing after breaking nearly every single one of your early game weapon and shields in your inventory on a robot.

Oh yeah, but I found that shrine that says it's an insignificant test of strength last night and said, "Oh, so two swings of Guardian Axe++ should do it." That monk was an rear end in a top hat.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The stable master is going to be so impressed when I ride up on this. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

That's not a horse!

It's 50% of a horse! That means I should get a discount, too!

Man, this is just like when I rode up on that skeleton horse and you wouldn't even cut a deal on the feeding.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It occurred to that there's something that could do for hard mode that would make it really interesting: a time limit. Think about this, everything that makes the game easier takes a decent amount of time to do. Farming for upgrade parts, doing shrines, collecting seeds. If you just wander the countryside and do everything except the quest, then you take up a lot of time but the game becomes really easy. But what if you had a few in game weeks before Calamity Ganon broke free? Then you have to know the game, prioritize what you're doing, accept that you're only going to get a few armor sets and rely on elixirs to get you through. The horses become a lot more important since you're not climbing whatever mountain is in front of you to see what's there.

A time limit would suck for the first time you play, but to make you think about how you're going to approach the game on hard it would be pretty interesting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

does anyone know where the rock is for this one

can not find it to save my life

If you're still looking, it's uphill a bit near a tree. I just got it about an hour ago myself.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Yes. Destroying barrels and boxes with a flame weapon cooks and bakes the food items. Dropping things on the ground in Death Mountain cooks them. Dropping things on the ground in snowy area freezes them. I don't think it's possibly to unfreeze something though, which is lame.

I find it weird when I catch a fish in a frozen region and it comes out of the water frozen.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure it's been asked a dozen times but is Eventide a massive heap of bullshit unfair assholery? Died twice far into it so far and am GETTING PRETTY PISSED OVER HERE

Eventide taught me the real way to take down Hinox, get above them, jump off something, and then use the time freeze on the archery to guarantee the eyeball hit.

I wound up waiting on Eventide until after I had a lot of hearts. Once you can take three hits or so then it's very doable. Here's my technique if you want to follow it:

First collect food inland, especially the truffles and durians. Then head along the beach to the peak there, wipe out the group at the top and then cook all your food. Nothing fancy, just one item in the pot for the healing items and three of the same items in the pot for stat boosters. Okay, now you're not going to die and you likely have about eight to ten arrows if you collected the ones they were shooting at you. So push the boulders down the hill to attack the Hinox and make it come to you. You can throw explosive barrels at his head but when he gets close jump off the cliff and snipe that eye. Use an attack boost and your best weapon (probably a boat oar at this point since there's two on the beach), and start pounding him. Once he gets up, lure him away from the hill and then get back up it.

With the Hinox dead there's two groups of enemies left. The guys high up have a moblin so they're probably the best next target. Use your bombs to break up the groups and pick the enemies off. Defeating this group gets you some okay gear and then the last group is a push over.

A few more tips, don't use your good weapons. Use sticks and boko spears on the red guys. Use up those bad weapons so that when you face down the real threats you can break out the metal. You should have eight or nine full heals if you collected things diligently (the crates make the number a bit random) so use them. And use your buffs.

Eventide isn't easy and if you try to do it with less than six hearts then you're essentially playing with one hit kills the whole time you're there. There's nothing wrong with coming back once you're stronger.

Section Z posted:

Then pray there isn't several thunderstorms extinguishing all the cooking pots in a row followed by a blood moon while walking past where the Hinox used to be while carrying a sphere :v:

I had a thunderstorm kill the mountain group for me. As soon as they started sparking I took off. :shopkeeper:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The biggest katamari snowball I've managed to make so far is about four times Link's size. I just wish they would roll up those snow lizards...

Mace Bacon posted:

Oh jeez I'll just get enough to really fill out my weapons slot then. Good thing I don't have that need to 100% a game. I feel bad for people who do now.

I didn't think I needed to upgrade my shield slots until I started fighting guardians regularly. Now I keep a few crappy pot lids and the like handy for those occasions.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there anything in this game that you only get one shot at? Like if you don't talk to this person at a certain time you can never ever get something? Or if you fail a mission you can never re-try it? Things like that.

Yes, there's a piece of cold resistant gear in the tutorial that if you miss it you can't get it again. It's not very good, can't be upgraded, but you might wind up using it if you go off in random directions after the tutorial is over.

Also, if you don't get treasure chests from the insides of the great beasts, those go away permanently when you finish them. The game warns you about this, and generally it's not a big deal to not pick up another sword or bow.

And I think that's literally it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Augus posted:

I think that's it? The game is huge so I might be overlooking stuff. I've heard some people running into trouble with Shrine Quests where they found the shrine without getting that actual quest but I'm not sure how prevalent these issues are.

I've done that a few times, but all it means is that when you find the person who gives you the shrine quest, it immediately gets marked as completed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RCarr posted:

Is there a reward for completing the compendium? Anything at all?

The pleasure of a job well done?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

Start working on that Coliseum Silver Lynel 420 montage

A goddamned lightning storm started when I began duelling him. I wound up having to limit my fighting area to spots under cover so I wouldn't get hit by lightning.

Anyhoo, at the Hyrule Castle main gate I found a pinwheel looking over the courtyard but no balloons appear. I'm talking about the one next to the chest with ancient arrows, not the one above it where the balloons move back and forth behind slime. I cleared the courtyard of guardians entirely so I could look around for balloons to pop and I'm having no luck. Where's my Korok seed hiding here?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure the balloon is way off on one of the towers of the main gate

That's it.

Christ, it took me a dozen arrows just to dial in the range...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Are there Pikango tips for memories 8 or 12, what stables should I go to?

For 8, it's general location should be really obvious if you look for a moment. It's in Hyrule Castle, though in fairness the exact location doesn't match the photo which shows a wall segment. It's actually on a bridge between two large towers near the main keep.

For 12 it's a bit more cruel, but it's relatively close to the wetland stable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just discovered I can drop bombs while gliding. It's a shame bombs don't do that much damage...

Harrow posted:

Some tips about the materials: you can only get one material from each dragon on each in-game day.

This isn't 100% accurate, somehow I once had the lightning dragon spawn twice in two hours out of the lake. I shot his horn, got my fragment and then as I was deciding what to do next he came back out of his spawning place and I said, "Well, if you're going to give me a gift like that..." Hadn't seen it before or since so I'm inclined to say it was a weird glitch since the dragon should have been flying off to his skyhole when he reappeared.

Drewjitsu posted:

Smotherwing Butterflies - Around Goron City

FWIW, I found this to be the worst place to gather. If there's any verticality in the area then then they can spawn way up high and you're going to spook them as you climb to them. There are a few large, flat areas on Death Mountain such as the hot springs and those are the places where I hunt the butterflies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RCarr posted:

Was there a blood moon? That would respawn it.

Nope. Just landed in the water, made my way over the rock in the middle of the lake, and then there he was again.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prisoner of waffles posted:

Love it when I realize I have like 4 weapons that I didn't take photos of, then I drop 'em all on the ground and snap them. Link's the kind of weirdo who just takes pictures of his blades. It would be so good if Link could take selfies of himself about to eat whatever hearty roasted field greens he'd just cooked up and put them on instagram. "This millenial found a mobile device after waking from a century-long magical sleep. What happened next will SHOCK you!"

You can equip weapons and take selfies of yourself with them to get the pictures for the compendium. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

All shrines is about the longest speedrun category I can imagine being interesting.

Even then I'd expect it to be around six hours (doing a shrine every three minutes would be extremely fast but theoretically possible) and that's way longer than I'd consider a speed run interesting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I didn't realize I could slice all the legs off of the walking guardians. Of course, usually I'm pot lidding them so I wouldn't get close enough to chop legs off...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

along the way posted:

I just spent 45 minutes playing golf in a shrine.

Second hole for the treasure chest accounted for 40 of those 45 minutes.

I never want to play BotW golf again.

That was the single worst thing I have encountered so far in the game. I hate that hole so much...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Burbo posted:

I totally stopped trying to do that golfing shrine after I reset twice and broke 2 hammers and the zora spear. Glad to know it's not even something cool.

I would not complain if hitting time frozen objects (not creatures) didn't do any weapon damage. It just takes so many hits to get something to move significantly that if you need to move it twice you're essentially using up all the durability of a weapon. I'm fine with the durability system everywhere else; I don't mind the disposable weapons. It's just that this one thing has made stasis the least fun power to play around with.

Harrow posted:

I guess what I'd say is that if you're just going from plot area to plot area you're probably going to have a bad time (and, unfortunately, it sounds like you're having that bad time :smith:). For me, I didn't see the main quest markers as a thing I have to go do right now--they were things I'd go do when I felt like I was ready, and I was perfectly happy to wander and get lost in between.

I had discovered over eighty shrines and recovered the master sword before I went to the first village that you're directed to. But then my reaction to being given explicit directions in a video game is to immediately go in the opposite direction so I can see what they're trying to lure me away from.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 22, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The worst Korok seed is that circle of stones north of the dueling peaks stable. It was the last stone before I finally managed to position myself just right and slide a rock in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

After not being able to get star fragments forever I finally have a method that guarantees them. All I have to do is go stand on the canyon overlook to wait for the fire dragon and one drops from the sky in front of me every time. Note that this only works if you're trying to get dragon horns.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

After not being able to get star fragments forever I finally have a method that guarantees them. All I have to do is go stand on the canyon overlook to wait for the fire dragon and one drops from the sky in front of me every time. Note that this only works if you're trying to get dragon horns.

(I hit the home button a second to late to catch the impact of that one.)

I think I now have enough star fragments to upgrade all the circlets to go with my armor...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kashuno posted:

other content: putting Korok seeds in hyrule castle is mean

Did you get the ones (plural) way above Ganon?

I actually didn't think most of the seeds in the castle were that bad except the weird snipe this balloon half a kilometer off seed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I can't believe I just realized that the map marks which shrines still have treasure in them that I can collect...

To Vex a Stranger posted:

i must have skipped the cool parts of hyrule castle because I basically saw the kitchen, the library, and ganon.

You took the straight path. There's a lot of optional areas.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shocking story twist! Kass returned home! I had him pegged as a deadbeat dad who would go from locked shrine to stable forever.

Oh, and Kass definitely plays the original Zelda theme at one point. I'm listening to him do it right now, in fact.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I found this creepy rear end pond at the top of a mountain with a bunch of ghost animals just staring at me. Am I supposed to do something specific here?

Well, you can sneak up on one of them and catch a ride...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Are there extra heart containers somewhere or did these monsters really make the heart rows not even?

You shouldn't have taken so much stamina.

Just kidding. You should always take all the stamina.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm v. bad at this game. What's the best way to get regular arrows and rupees early game?

Elixirs sell for way more than the component parts. You won't need fireflies or dragonflies for upgrades so feel free to use them to mix up some potions with one bug and four monster parts which will sell for over a hundred rupees each.

I wound up using Beedle as my arrow dealer throughout the game. He can be found at pretty much any stable so it was convenient to find him. Other than buying them, you can collect arrows when they're shot at you...

Spoiler for the stolen heirloom subquest: "Would you stay with Paya through the day?" (hit a to continue) BLOOD MOON!

The sudden cut scene surprised me.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spergatory posted:

So, I spent the afternoon playing around with Magnesis. In the process, I discovered Magnesis is broken as gently caress. :science:

I wouldn't say it's "broken as gently caress", it's just that the balance to it is that hauling stuff around with you can be a pain in the rear end. You're not getting anywhere fast with your doomsday weapon. So instead you've got a really fun toy to use to trash the general area.

That said, I'm now tempted to walk a metal box to Ganon and see what happens. I played with a big metal rock from a quarry the other night and that was kind of fun but smashing the dark lord with just magnesis would be too cool. In fact, since I'm putting dinner on the marinate for a couple of hours, I might as well give it a try...

Edit: Damnit it just occurred to me that they warp you to a new room at the start of that fight so the box probably won't show up. But I gotta try...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 23, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The start of the Box's crusade against Ganon is going well. A hinox easily fell to its might and the Yiga swordsmen who keep appearing fall over dead when Box goes near them. Box has reached Lanayru Tower and Hyrule Castle trembles at his approach.

Edit: Damnit, I talked to someone on the road and he teleported me a few feet away. That made the box despawn. I'm starting at the desert tower instead.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 23, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spergatory posted:

You're doing the Goddess's work, friend. :patriot:

I got the box to the castle but I can't find a good way to get it up past the second tier. Everything is just out of reach and my stasis launches of the box aren't getting it up there. Oh well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Uh-oh. I found a tower on Hyrule Castle that wasn't real. Clipped right out of the terrain when I climbed on top of it and now other terrain seems to be broken for me.

From exploring the out of bounds for a bit, it seems like the final battle arena is not part of the castle itself making it definitely impossible to get a box there.

Edit: If you're curious standing on top of Calamity Ganon does hurt you.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

If this lightning centaur guy is just destroying me at I trying to do this too early or is there a gimmick I haven't figured out yet?

There's no such thing as "too early" in the game, though those guys are brutal until you get really good at the combat system in the game. I felt so happy when I finally managed to take one out without getting hit. Of course, it may help to come back to them with stronger armor.

So a few tips for fighting them: They have a pretty limited set of moves. The first is shooting lightning arrows. Best you can do is dodge and close in to make them switch to the melee routines. Getting into a direct arrow duel with them is suicidal.

Second, and most important to understand, are their weapons attacks. They have spear, sword, and mace routines that have different wind ups and timing. This is the easiest move to dodge and counterstrike as most of the combos can be defeated by jumping backward. Trigger a flurry rush and start doing some damage. As part of this they also do a grab move but the dodge in the same.

There's two area attacks that have really large ranges. If they roar, run like gently caress since the fire explosion has a radius of about thirty meters. If they bounce back, you don't have to run nearly as far but the explosion when they impact is still pretty big.

The fire breath attack shoots three fireballs and can be defeated by running parallel to it. In some environments this leaves big flame trails and that's your opportunity to shoot up into the air. Now this would be bad if they start firing lightning at you again, but you can go into slow motion and snip their faces. When their faces are hit, they go into a stun state where you can run up behind them and jump on their back for a lot of free hits.

Finally there's the charge attack and you can jump to one side and counter or get out of the way and jump on their back when they're out of breath afterward.

So that's the moves. Other tips are don't bother with elemental damage, they're immune. Use your strongest weapons because they are HP sinks. Use some buffs; attack+++ if you can survive a hit or two or defense+++ if you can't.

These are probably the toughest fights in the game but the rewards are really worth it since they have great weapons and their body parts are extremely useful.

Carmant posted:

Also I heard that killing more enemies makes enemies drop better weapons is that true at all. I dont remember when the stuff with upgrades started dropping on my first playthrough but it was pretty drat late in the game. Can you make that happen faster.

This is definitely tied to main quest progress.