Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Calaveron posted:

When u see it
Is it weird that just looking at this screenshot gives me goosebumps?

Is it also weird that the first thing I wanna do in this new game is find a windmill and chill with what had better be the windmill guy playing the song of storms out of a very oddly worn instrument?

Not weird, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ColdPie posted:

Um are you all forgetting the superslide???
The Wind Waker HD superswim is the loving best, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This game is going to be the new Skate, isn't it?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't work. Despite looking the same, orbs are coded to work in one specific shrine. If you actually hauled one from across the map it wouldn't activate.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised there isn't some absurd troll quest that requires you to carry a blue flame across the world.
I know two people who actually thought they had to carry the Hateno village flame up to Akkala. One figured out pretty quickly (thanks to reading the second lab's diary) that wasn't the case. The other spent some time planning out the path before saying "no, wait, this is too hard" and began looking around to find the second flame source. Kinda sad neither ended up trying to get that gnome to the rocket.

Bakanogami posted:

Just stumbled on the Forgotten Temple and cleared it. Though I very nearly noped out when I entered and had like six guardians lock on to me.
Haha, I noped out for about 2 minutes before realizing what I was supposed to do. Went back and had a real fun time. :D

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

at one point i had 500+ ancient screws + 180 gears + over 200 shafts and had only gotten 11 cores the entire game. then after my last couple of blood moons they started dropping from like every other guardian :shrug:
Yeah, it's a scaling factor. From what I've heard (no real confirmation yet) a blood moon can be an indication of the difficulty scaling up. As in, it doesn't just replace dead monsters, but upgrades living ones as well. I'm not 100% convinced of this just yet but you do get better and better stuff as you play, so getting rare ancient cores and diamonds becomes much less rare.

dogstile posted:

Was loving around exploring on my gf's save and I came across the loving giant centaur and the hinox. Took them down with 20 damage weapons and parried the thing. Only had four hearts.

Felt like a loving badass.
Even after playing 110 hours of this game, I feel like I'm all in on playing the first DLC's hard mode with pro HUD on.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Are they just for the armor? (the parts) Is it worth getting the armor...?
Yes. Very much so. Highest defense in the game (if you trade the shirt for your blue shirt) and just looks bad rear end.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Breath of the Wild has fun bits I've enjoyed, but it just...doesn't feel like a Zelda game to me. I really miss the feeling like I'm working my way through a firmly-crafted linear narrative where this is supposed to happen before this because I feel it's possible to create a much more intentional-feeling user experience that way. I don't like the "here you are, do whatever the gently caress you want" thing and that's what this game is all about so it's really detracting from my ability to enjoy it, despite really liking the plot segments I have run across so far.

EDIT: I'm not giving up, though. I refuse to allow this game to join the ranks of Zelda 2 and Phantom Hourglass of Zelda games I had to give up on.
Whenever I see people complain about the open world aspect of Zelda (which is actually more open world than any other non-literal-sandbox open world game ever made, as far as I can tell) I kinda wonder if a simple checklist from a single forum post could have resolved your gripes. Allow me to help guide you!
1: Find and climb the nearest tower. If anyone interrupts you asking for help, help them.
1a: If you come across a horse stable along the way, wait at a fire or sleep until noon and talk to everyone.
1b: If you want to progress, don't help people at the stable.
2: From each tower, spot, mark, and reach every shrine in sight. If anyone interrupts you asking for help, help them.
2a: You don't have to actually do the shrine, just tag it so you can teleport to it.
3: If you aren't bored yet, go back to step 1. Do not enter Hyrule Castle. If you reach a city, talk to everyone.
3a: If you get bored, teleport to an unfinished shrine and do that.
3b: If you don't have shrines to do and are still bored, look through your quest lists and complete quests.
3c: If you've done all the shrines you can find and finished all the quests you can finish, make sure you've traveled along every single road on the map.
4: Go to zeldamaps.com and find whatever's missing.
4a: If nothing is missing or everything is boring, go to Hyrule Castle and beat the game.

There, I've now made your game linear without explicitly telling you what direction to go in. Have fun.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 22, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Something similar happened to me, seems like the game sometimes struggles loading the top of the castle if you go up there too fast and it causes some really weird effects.
Yeah if you do the "find a large climbable metal box and max stasis hit it and ride it real far" trick, you can make the game fail to load areas correctly and you can do some fun, weird poo poo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

In response to the chatter last page about "they say 100 years but it feels more like 10 or 20" my response is "it's not Earth and days are super short so don't try to apply real world norms to Hyrule." This isn't Drakengard. Hyrule Warriors may have added inter-dimensionality between the games but it didn't push Link through a portal to Tokyo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there an android app that lets a phone with NFC act as an amiibo, or do you have to buy loose tags?
Just buy the action replay for amiibo. It's stupid easy and costs 15 bucks from Gamestop. Way way way easier than the kind of hacking you apparently have to do to get your phone's NFC to work properly.

Hey so, I've got 110 hours poured into this game and I was stupid sad about one particular thing missing. Where's my goddamn song of storms?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CrashCat posted:

I don't have one but the box made it sound like all you could use it for is to put cheats on real amiibos. Like making your Smash amiibos max level or something. I guess it's good for loading Wolf Link with 20 hearts but you'd already have to have one.
What makes you think a legal product that does something that cuts into Nintendo's Amiibo profits is going to actually put on its box "hey, by the way, you can basically emulate every amiibo in existence with this!"

It's a 2 part system. 1 part, the base, is the part that acts as the tag changer. The other part is a power tag which is basically an amiibo base that will act as the emulated amiibo. With the software provided, you load up a .bin file, put the tag onto the base, hit apply. You now have a tag that is any amiibo. Rinse and repeat, no muss and no fuss.

As for the Hard Mode chatter, considering this game's focus on preparation for survival, I think the "can't eat during battle" limit is probably the best thing for Hard Mode. Also, double the amount of time between autosaves and only allow manual saves at campfires, but that includes the ones you make yourself.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 25, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CrashCat posted:

I didn't catch that they gave you a tag, just a writer. Of course I didn't expect them to advertise :filez: but I missed that bit. I'll have to check that next time I'm at the store then.
It says that it includes a power tag on the box. It's this: http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/accessories/amiibo-action-replay-powersaves/127307
If they aren't selling this (just buy it online with a pickup at store option) then it's not the right one.

Edit: Oh, also, another hard mode idea - every blood moon you lose your weaponry. :getin:

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 25, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sea Sponge Run posted:

The fact that the Hookshot isn't a postgame reward is a travesty
Yeah I kinda feel like if it was a reward for finishing all shrines and doing a specific set of Korok seeds, it would've been fine balance-wise. I expect it to be in DLC but I don't know just how hard Nintendo wants to go in on fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Also, do those stalagmite type structures that stick out a lot of bodies of water serve any purpose or are they just decoration?
Yahaha! Probably!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Section Z posted:

How many lone rocks have I checked that actually had Koroks that simply had issues loading!? :tinfoil:
Er, that particular Korok requires you to do something and you accidentally did it and never figured out that it wasn't a loading issue, it was an issue in that you had no idea you accomplished a thing.
If I recall correctly, the one you can pick up is un-aligned with the pattern of the other rocks. You had to line it up.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

parallelodad posted:

When Hitori mountain glows if you take a 5x bow and some bomb arrows and loving nuke all the blupees from orbit you'll get like 3000 rupees.
I thought of doing this after my second time riding the Lord around and when I did I cackled like a demon as rupees flowed like water. gently caress that Lord for not letting me stable him.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Blowing up the rabbits in the mountains gathering? You're killing Satoru Iwata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlaapqiKTUs
Is it just me or does this guy have no fuckin' clue how to say Iwata's name? I mean, I don't speak Japanese, but I'm pretty sure I've heard Miyamoto say "Iwata-san" a few times and it wasn't "Iohwata-san."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

Japanese is really straightforward to pronounce--it's just "Ee-wah-tah." It's totally phonetic always so it amuses me when people have huge trouble pronouncing Japanese words, at least short ones.
Yeah this is what I thought.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Excluding the master sword, what is the weapon with the highest durability?

VVV royal guard weapons have garbage durability though
I dunno if anyone answered in the last 8 pages but I'm fairly certain the correct answer here is "any of the guardian weapons."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I've been telling people that the whole name of the game is preparation but this video puts that statement into stark relief.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

After the awesome end credits sequences from LTTP, OOT and MM what we get now is pretty sad. That's my biggest gripe.
Fewer games put effort into their endings because they know how few people actually end up beating games.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

kater posted:

So uh. I've got the four dudes done. Four faeries and a space clown suit. I don't have a clue where any of the tons and tons of cool poo poo that gets mentioned in this thread is. Like, you can buy a house? loving what? And apparently I'm missing an entire page of clothing? How do you even begin looking for this stuff.
Talk to everyone at every stable. Talk to everyone at every city. Also, do their quests. If you can't accomplish this, stay away from RPGs. ;) That said, don't worry, even I missed an easy shrine quest in Kakariko because I never found a certain NPC that needed me to talk to them.
As far as armors go... Two sets are found inside 6 shrines, every city has a set for sale except the Zora (which still has its own set, you just get it a different way) and there are a couple other hidden sets you get through special means but is still stuff you'd discover through talking to everyone.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 28, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Raserys posted:

tbh i don't like the divine beast sections very much. i liked the dungeons in a lbtw, but as someone who never really played a 3d zelda, the dungeon thing isn't really for me, i prefer just roaming around
Hey, lucky you, person who never really played the 3D Zeldas... the divine beasts are the smallest and shortest dungeons in the whole series!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

bowmore posted:

can anyone tell me what these stump things are/do?

Step on it and look around.
Edit: Don't forget to feel real stupid that you had to ask a forum for this. ;)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I was wondering... once you finish all the shrines, is there any way to fight small guardians? Imagine if you beat them all except the one where the girl in love with the ancient ball needs a photo of the small guardian... I don't know how else you'd get a proper photo for that. Or am I missing some obvious place where they hang out?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

they respawn in the shrines

AlphaKeny1 posted:

you can go back into shrines you already beat
Ooooooh but I'd have to wait for a blood moon, which explains why my test didn't work. Got it. Thanks!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

lovely Wizard posted:

Plus there's a good chance they get 60fps working for Zelda without janky physics problems since it's the main draw for CEMU, so it'd make it go from a resolution bump to a gameplay improvement as well.
It's actually closer than you think. Someone found a bug in a hook file that uncaps the 30fps and if your machine is a beefmaster and you have all the right optimizations and you're standing in the right places.... it hits a solid 60fps and runs at 2x speed. Turns out that then running Cheat Engine with the .5x speedhack halves the runtime of the game but not the rendering, thus achieving 60fps with a normal speed game. This is all via a hack with nothing properly locking the framerate, so it can still jump around a bit, but it's close enough that yes, you can get excited for 60fps 4k (I only care about 1080, though) Breath of the Wild. It's coming.

For the record, I've got 110 hours spent in my Wii U version, so no blasting me plz. ;)
Leave it to fuckin' Helix Snake. Dude's a genius.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 4, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I named that horse Ganondorf because I am unoriginal.

The Lobster posted:

Um... Was I supposed to be able to solve the desert labyrinth in under three minutes? I haven't done the other two yet but I was expecting them to be really hard and full of tough enemies. Did I just get really lucky?

Edit for spoilers. Also to say that the music inside it sucked.
I mean, if you go in the right direction, they're all fairly simple, so consider it luck but they aren't supposed to be tough. Except for that one secret area you'll maybe not find (I didn't.)
That said, exploring them fully will net you more goodies.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

My favorite "oh, right, cryonis" moment was using arrows on the ice cubes during the lead up to entering the elephant, going to sleep as soon as I entered it, realizing while trying to sleep that I could probably have used cryonis and saved a TON of arrows, then going back to the previous save the next day just to replay that section using cryonis. It's my favorite because this has hit so many people.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Doesn't BAE Sidon strongly suggest you use your special power to stop the ice attacks?

Is this a thing? People missing insanely telegraphed instructions.
I'm gonna watch the run-up to that again because if he does say this, I'm betting it's while the action is happening, has no dialog prompt to hit a button on, and is improperly mastered so his voice is really low while the music and sfx are really loud. Otherwise, he probably said something that made me think he was referencing the lightning arrows and not cryonis.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The Lobster posted:

Also probably due to people buying the game in anticipation of getting a Switch soon, I bet.
Considering I know people who did that, yes, absolutely. loving nuts to consider, though. I wonder if any other title ever had that happen.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

CJ posted:

Bullet point summary for people too childish to respond to his actual criticisms:
gently caress it, I'm bored and armchair designing is entertaining to me so here's a counter-point for literally everything that guy (you) says.
Feel free to scroll over if you're not interested. I really don't care, this is just me having fun.

Shrines:
- Majority of them are ion the 'meh' to 'bad' side rather than good.
Actually, no. There's an even spread of difficulty ranging from stupid easy to rather hard. Keep in mind this game is meant for both the casual and the hardcore, so a lot of concessions are made to ensure that both ends of the spectrum can enjoy the game. If you're a casual, the difficult puzzles are avoidable so you can still get enough shrines to Master Sword and beat the game. If you're hardcore, you hunger for any and all content possible and will gladly gulp down the easier shrines while feeling talented for completing the difficult ones. Plus, difficult of puzzle is in itself a varietal concern. If all the puzzles were on the latter end of the spectrum, you would fear going into shrines when you're too tired to deal with solving a puzzle.

- The shrines where you fight a guardian are all filler garbage
Actually, no. If you're running through the game by going from shrine to shrine, you need a break from puzzles. The guardian fight shrines are there to give you good weaponry (if you need it) and force you to do battle (if you're the type to run away from most fights.) Again, it's mixed in with everything else to provide variety to the shrines.

- The good shrines introduced a concept and expanded on it, or required the interaction of several mechanics.
Good for the hardcore gamer, bad for the casual, or younger audience, who can't figure it out and would weep in frustration if every shrine were like this.

- The bad shrines introduced an mechanic with a tutorial and that was it, or were insultingly easy like glide across a gap.
Bad for the hardcore who wants more out of the game, good for the casual and younger audience who need the gimmies when they can't handle the tougher stuff.

Combat:
- The way damage is calculated is fundamentally flawed by being additive, ie the damage calculation being enemy damage + weapon damage - armour.
Keep it simple stupid. The mechanics are easy so you can understand them without having to refer to a manual.

- This leads to terribly balanced fights, where you take 0 damage if your armour is too high and get wrecked if it's too low. Also leads to silly situations like a bokoblin doing more damage than Ganon.
The game is about preparation. If you're prepared for a fight with high armor, of course you should take 0 damage. If you aren't, of course you should get hurt bad. It's that way to ensure you take the beaten path early and the tougher path late without making the game linear. As for Ganon, he isn't actually supposed to do the most damage in the game, nor is he supposed to be the hardest battle, because he has to be available for defeat from hour 1 to hour 1000. Plus, this idea that the end boss has to be "the hardest thing" is a concept that's died years ago. Nowadays, you're lucky if 20% of your game's user base even makes it to the final battle, in part because we're all ADHD'd out of our mind and also because there are just too many good games coming out to be able to beat them all. Point being that the end boss is supposed to be entertaining, not tough. Dying halfway through a final boss is probably one of the most annoying things to have happen in a game. Designers have understood this and games have been tweaked accordingly. Comparing the required fight of Ganon to the optional fight of a Silver Bokoblin is a bad comparison to make.

- The world scales with you but story segments like the guardians don't.
Do you know about Final Fantasy 8's broken scaling system? The one where the more you prepared, the more the game scaled up with you? Basically, if you powered up enough, the latter part of the game became almost impossible to get through due to the scaling involved. Ever since this, other RPGs (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Final Fantasy) have been extremely wary of how they do their scaling, especially when it comes to the story-bound enemies. As such, designers often decide to keep the story stuff at a lower scaling or simply remove the scaling altogether in favor of just letting a prepared, powered up player get what they want: Ultimate power. That's the decision they made with Zelda, a game that literally lets you power yourself down in order to make the game more challenging if you want.

- As a result of the above stuff, he missed all the guardian boss fights on his first playthrough because he ended up one shotting them with with the master sword.
Maybe if he wanted a challenge, he shouldn't have prepared for hours and then used all of the things he earned through that preparation? Or he could have just... not used the Master Sword and gone in nude? I mean, you can't have it both ways, bud. When you consider how the game is built around absolute freedom, then either you're allowed to dominate through preparation or you create a scaling system that literally changes the HP and damage of a boss based on what your character has equipped. Nah, they did this correctly.

- There isn't enough enemy variety, the vast majority is bokoblins, lizards and moblins. There are some other enemies but they usually attack you alone. Would have been a lot more interesting if e.g. the assassins attacked you while you were fighting other stuff to make stuff interesting.
"More interesting" and "too difficult for a casual player" are being mixed up here. Firstly, I think it's funny how everyone complains about variety when they're missing the little rock dudes, the bats, the octoroks, the wildlife, the skeletons, the guardians, and every elemental version of most of this junk. Secondly, there isn't more variety because each enemy is supposed to have a better or worse way to take care of them. As such, a player who is trying to play optimally has to think about what equipment they have to handle each enemy individually, especially when the elements are in play. Bring too much variety and it becomes tiresome equipping everything over and over again to counter the enemies you face. Meanwhile, a player who isn't playing optimally will just swing their fattest sword and equip their largest shield. It'll take them longer to win the fight and, as such, would get tired pretty quickly if those big "interesting" fights even existed because they'd be bombarded so hard they'd just rather flee the battle. For the range of audience this game was shooting for, this stuff was balanced just fine.

- Not being able to dodge when not logged on was terrible.
They disabled dodging if you didn't log into your Nintendo account? Wow.
Oh, wait, you mean locked on. Yeah uhhh I don't know if you (or this guy) noticed but it turns out that running laterally to any enemy is just as effective as dodging, if not more so, actually. With a dodge, you're hoping to catch a break and enter slow-down mode where every frame is an i-frame. With just running, you basically avoid almost everything. What of the situations where you can't avoid? Well, guess what, most of those situations are when you're in a 1-on-1 duel and you would be locked on anyway so the point is moot. I'm honestly not sure what alternative you'd want to this, considering "being able to dodge while not locked on" would mean any time you're running and jumping, Link does a weird hop instead of a normal running jump.

- The dodge flurry attacks were broken. Seems to be programmed to check for damage around you when you press the dodge button. This means if you anticipate an attack and time the dodge so you actually dodge it you don't get the flurry. In contrast if you move out of the way, wait for the enemy to miss you then press dodge it detects the attack hit box next to you and gives you the flurry even though you didn't actually dodge anything.
Actually I agree with this. The window of dodging is broken and weird... but rather easy to get used to and I can dodge like any attack in this game now so how about get good? This one only really affects the casual player, funny it affects this hardcore complainer.

- Being able to eat an unlimited amount of food with no risk such as an eating animation trivialises things.
Hey, guess what? Hard Mode is coming in a DLC. Sorry that, like the guardians that don't scale, you can't have some self-restraint to make the game funner for you. If you'd rather the game didn't trivialize things, maybe have someone sit next to you while you play and every time you try to heal mid-battle, they taze you with a cattle-prod.

- Lack of weapon variety, they all share a very small pool of movesets.
Man, I'd hate to break it to you but in most Zelda games Link only gets a Sword. Okay, snark aside, let's quickly just mention that there are a gently caress ton of actual weapons in this game, so variety is not an issue. That said, you need the pool of move sets to be small (1-hand, 2-hand, pole, magic) so you're never confused as to what it is you're pulling out to fight someone with. When you consider the actual variety of weaponry, I have to wonder what other actual move sets you're looking for. This isn't Monster Hunter, you're not going to find a transformer weapon in this game.

- Weapon degradation has a nice flow at the beginning as you are constantly switching weapons, but as you progress it leads to problems such as making you feel bad about using cool weapons, discouraging you from switching weapons because it's better to break them one at a time and replacing them rather than having a bunch of near broken weapons.
The cool weapons problem is only a problem when you don't know where to get that weapon again. Lucky you, blood moons refresh set weapon locations and your local Hinox is probably carrying something pretty cool as well. Oh, it's also a problem for Amiibo but gently caress Amiibo. Also, if you're freaking out over breaking weaponry one at a time instead of having many near-broken weapons, that's a problem in your own head that you have to get over because breaking a weapon over an enemy's head does critical damage and the game freezes when you switch weaponry making it easy to go from weapon to weapon whether you're breaking heads or just optimizing your experience. This isn't a problem with the game's design, it's a problem with your interpretation of it.

TL;DR The dude wanted an experience tailored specifically to him and all his stuff is just a nitpick for how it's not.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Ventana posted:

Beyond the fact that you're not reading his points right (as Maple Leaf said, the video/text proper actually brings up plenty of examples to back his claims), this last point you bring up here is honestly just silly.
Yeah I went in knowing this was a possibility. I was just countering the bullet points, I don't really want to watch the video. If he has extra explanation and I'm totally wrong, so be it. I had fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Yinlock posted:

just because you don't "get" it doesn't make it any less art
My favorite thing about that music is how much it reminds me of The World Ends With You.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

seiferguy posted:

Did they ever say where in the time line this takes place? My gut feeling is that it's years after wind waker because of the rito presence, as well as Beedle in the game.

Edit: oh yeah koroks were in WW too.
It's not officially mentioned anywhere but most signs point to "after everything."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Also a little disappointed that you don't get to keep the light bow. But I understand why that would be.
Funny (stupidly) enough you can get that with an Amiibo. It breaks, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Out of all of the stuff in this DLC, the only bit that seems worth more than a dollar is the Trail of the Sword which is still mostly just coding where and how things work on an engine that probably makes it stupid easy to set up. I was honestly expecting more since half this stuff (map path, easy teleports, hard mode) would have been a part of a free quality of life patch for any other game. Also, Korok mask should've been in base game already as a prize for getting all 120 shrines. Why? Because what you do get is already linked to an Amiibo, which is bullshit.
Bullshit that is equal to the fact that the game is coded for companions (wolf link) but you don't actually get to experience that w/o buying a plastic toy. Nintendo can still make a great base game and other titles got some real valuable DLC but I still don't think they understand DLC as a whole.
Whatever, like my complaints matter.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 2, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can't get the Tunic of the Wild from Amiibo.
poo poo I went to look this up and there's so many Cap of * and Tunic of * I could've sworn I saw Vinesauce put on an entire * of the Wild set. Guess I'm wrong! Never mind, then.

Actually, do mind. Korok mask still should've been in the game. Unlocks after you beat Ganon.

Toad King posted:

Worth every penny.
Yeah admittedly I have no qualms with charging for those new outfits since artists are underappreciated anyway.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

lol at this insane oversimplification of game development. "It's just coding how stuff works" is like 100x crazier than watching a hollywood movie and saying "it's just pointing a camera at things"
That's the thing, though. When you compare what tools were probably put into building this game and the amount of time and effort that would be needed to create a "series of 45 battle rooms" for what will amount to over 10 million dollars in sales, it is a seriously small amount of effort vs the amount of income that it will receive.

Unless this game was built with loving Playstation 1 or Playstation 3 APIs, I don't see any way it would actually be difficult for someone with knowledge of the engine to build these DLCs quickly and simply. On an algorithm/pseudocode level, they actually are very simplistic. I'm saying this as someone who actually programs, thus why I put more value on the outfits and think the korok mask - which is literally just slapping a korok face onto Link's face and adding the shrine beacon mechanic - should have just been in the original game.

That said, the QA is where the 10 million (made up DLC sale number, if that wasn't obvious) should go, since that's what ends up making Nintendo products as polished as they are. <-- That's oversimplification, considering how masterfully BotW was crafted to create so many amazing moments that in any other game would have just been random placements with no true focus. Something that I have high doubts the Trial of the Sword will have. But hey, I hope I'm wrong and it feels like something more than what sounds like: a reverse horde mode.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

If you finished DLC 2 for BOTW I have a good video for you. It's how the last 20 seconds of my playthrough went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGlDfuiRQ8