Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Right now my family is using Facebook Messenger for our group chat. Aside from privacy concerns, it disrespects everyone's time with obnoxious default notifications and "seen" reports that can't be avoided.

I've suggested we switch to Signal, but some have suggested Whatsapp since it now uses the same encryption.

What are you using?

Fansy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Google hangouts or set up a Slack room?

I guess those aren't "secure" though, nevermind.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
by Family do you mean ISIS?

Because my family only talks about dumb pictures or travel plans and hangouts works great for that. Its TLS by default.

Just PGP Encrypt everything like a true nerd.
Then run it through an AES 256.

And print it out.

Then shred it and send it through the Postal Service (as they need a warrant to open it)

Reassemble at distant end.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 15, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I second the slack consideration. It's pretty friendly for not-computer-experts, especially since you can send them a link that tells them how to log in and where to get mobile apps, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Laranzu posted:

by Family do you mean ISIS?

Because my family only talks about dumb pictures or travel plans and hangouts works great for that. Its TLS by default.

Just PGP Encrypt everything like a true nerd.
Then run it through an AES 256.

And print it out.

Then shred it and send it through the Postal Service (as they need a warrant to open it)

Reassemble at distant end.

No wait. Just send blank postcards. On a day you get a postcard, that's a 1, on a day you don't, that's a zero. change words by sending a postcard with '\0' written on it.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My family despairs about fossil fuel to a degree that I'm not comfortable with Schmidt or Zuckerberg reading.

Mostly I want to know if WhatsApp is any less secure than Signal.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 15, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fansy posted:

My family despairs about fossil fuel to a degree that I'm not comfortable with Schmidt or Zuckerberg reading.

I'm sorry but that's too delightful to drop. Are we talking Peak Oil / prepper stuff? I'm insanely curious.

As for whatsapp it does end to end encryption so it's secure in that sense. I couldn't tell you about how intrusion resistant it might be vs Signal in other ways, tho.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

I'm sorry but that's too delightful to drop. Are we talking Peak Oil / prepper stuff? I'm insanely curious.

Climate change mostly, and I guess some "if it all goes to hell, where do we meet?!" prepper stuff. I'm mostly concerned about my sibling making empty threats that I could see getting us all on a list.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fansy posted:

Climate change mostly, and I guess some "if it all goes to hell, where do we meet?!" prepper stuff. I'm mostly concerned about my sibling making empty threats that I could see getting us all on a list.

Haha thanks for satisfying my unnecessary curiosity!

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fansy posted:

You should be fine, I have assholes constantly saying poo poo like "we need to do that darkie in!" when referring to the President and they've never been snatched up by the Secret Service. Facebook is full of dumbos.

I'd love to get off Facebook Messenger as it crushes my phone battery. But most of my friends are :effort: as all hell and Facebook is the one service everyone has.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Fansy posted:

WhatsApp literally use the exact same encryption protocol (the "Signal Protocol") and codebase as Signal. WhatsApp hired the Signal devs to implement their E2E encryption. The one primary difference one might care about is that Signal is completely open source, while WhatsApp isn't. Here is OpenWhisperSystem's codebase. Presumably, WhatsApp is simply importing and using one of the open source libsignal libraries; at the end of this whitepaper, it says this, which seems to confirm my supposition:

quote:

The Signal Protocol library used by WhatsApp is Open Source, available here: https://github.com/whispersystems/libsignal-protocol-java/

But since it's closed source, we can't know for sure. Security-wise, they should be exactly the same, which means that you should select a program based on features, which WhatsApp will probably win on. Also, WhatsApp is one of the most used chat clients in the world outside of the U.S., so if you have any friends outside of the U.S., they probably use it.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 15, 2016

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
One other option, since everyone is chatting about Facebook Messenger: Facebook is apparently planning on adding opt-in end-to-end encryption to its app, à la Google's Allo (source). No details are available yet, but it's something to keep in mind.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fansy posted:

Do you have any of the following: underground bunker, treehouse in forest, storage shed with enough meat to last a lifetime along with generators to power the freezers, how many guns, a bug out bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fangs404 posted:

One other option, since everyone is chatting about Facebook Messenger: Facebook is apparently planning on adding opt-in end-to-end encryption to its app, à la Google's Allo (source). No details are available yet, but it's something to keep in mind.

Maybe we'll stick with messenger then, thanks.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have any of the following: underground bunker, treehouse in forest, storage shed with enough meat to last a lifetime along with generators to power the freezers, how many guns, a bug out bag?

meat is murder, just fyi, and guns are human killing machines.

Fansy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 16, 2016

• Locked thread