Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Roylicious posted:

This post is called Squidbillies

i hope your children end up better than your posting

but that's not a high bar to set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
How is this thread still going when it has been proven multiple times that corporal punishment is the easiest, quickest, and most effective way to discipline children? Why are there so many people that hate facts? I bet the people who are against corporal punishment also think vaccines give autism or evolution is just a "theory". Lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

tenspott posted:

How is this thread still going when it has been proven multiple times that corporal punishment is the easiest, quickest, and most effective way to discipline children? Why are there so many people that hate facts? I bet the people who are against corporal punishment also think vaccines give autism or evolution is just a "theory". Lol

some people want their children soft and supple

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lichy posted:

some people want their children soft and supple

Soft in the same way spoiled fruit is soft, aka SPOILED TO ThE CORE!

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

tenspott posted:

Soft in the same way spoiled fruit is soft, aka SPOILED TO ThE CORE!

:drat:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I think the spanking is just in private schools which in the south means hardcore fundamentalist Christian schools.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

notZaar posted:

I think the spanking is just in private schools which in the south means hardcore fundamentalist Christian schools.

See, we're all looking for big systemic problems when there's nun.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I've beaten 10 children today

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The basis of all morality is duty, a concept with the same relation to group that self-interest has to individual. Nobody preaches duty to these kids in a way they understand -- that is, with a spanking.

--Mr. Dubois

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I got paddled by a dude for telling a guy that he would know a human being after he called me queerbait. really gay all around.

Lots of paddling went on. They've since banned it because i got into an angry debate about whether it happened at all from a teacher who is only a couple of years older that never knew that shithole town existed before she got a job there. like lady i saw guys get their asses torn apart by custom made paddles from teachers and i got my own whipping, and if the idiot bothered to ask an older co-worker they would know.

The disabled kids were basically put out in portable buildings and barely seen but the few times I had to interact with them I fully believe they were being abused.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Since some people don't seem to believe I was paddled in school I'm curious how the other punishments sound.

Another I remember was a point system. If you got up to 4 "Strikes" in one single week you would have to go into this special corner. The teacher had stacked a ton of the really tall filing cabinets up to make a hidden area and sat a desk and chair back there, it was pretty dark and you could hardly hear anything, so most of my 2nd grade English / History / Math time was spent in the hole or whatever they called it because I wouldn't stop talking. When you were back there he would slide another filing cabinet in the only entrance so you were pretty much trapped since your 7-8 year old self couldn't move the cabinets the adult blocked you in with.

It was the basketball coach who had been born in the 1930s though that liked to paddle everyone, this guy was more progressive I guess.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Today the barista forgot that I asked for no foam.

I took this threads advice and worked her over with a bit of kindling. God help her if she misspels my name tomorrow.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the freshman hazing was worse in that district. that's another thing sheltered people don't believe but i finished school in a system that was fairly progressive and also split up 9-10 and 11-12 for convenience and infrastructure reasons, so i know both sides of people giving a poo poo about what grade you're in, but the paddling district had 1. sanctioned freshman hazing like actively encouraged juniors and seniors to relentlessly gently caress with 9th grade kids, it kind of sucked, and the principal was a loving prankster, imagine the highschool movie trope about the tightass teacher now make him some sort of malevolent trickster god.

every time i drive by the middle and high schools in that town (i do a lot) i have very intense flashbacks of fearing corporal punishment, hiding from my principal, and the seniors hunting for freshamn to shove into their larger, people-sized lockers.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Razorwired posted:

Today the barista forgot that I asked for no foam.

I took this threads advice and worked her over with a bit of kindling. God help her if she misspels my name tomorrow.

Were they a juvenile or an adult?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Saw braces, figured I was okay.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Monster.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

a lot of you are pussies

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

I did 3rd and 4th grade in France, and teachers there had zero qualms with smacking the poo poo out of kids. Full open palm slaps, ear pulling, hair pulling, you name it.

Never had that happen in America.

When ? I grew up in France in the 90s and never ever witnessed or suffered through this.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

argondamn posted:

a lot of you are pussies

When you think about it, beating a child with the full force of an adult body is kind of hosed up.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

notZaar posted:

When you think about it, beating a child with the full force of an adult body is kind of hosed up.

nah pussies

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

argondamn posted:

nah pussies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

notZaar posted:

Col. Robert Green Ingersoll posted:

If women have been slaves, what shall I say of children; of the little children in alleys and sub-cellars; the little children who turn pale when they hear their father's footsteps; little children who run away when they only hear their names called by the lips of a mother; little children -- the children of poverty, the children of crime, the children of brutality, wherever they are -- flotsam and jetsam upon the wild, mad sea of life -- my heart goes out to them, one and all.

I tell you the children have the same rights that we have, and we ought to treat them as though they were human beings. They should be reared with love, with kindness, with tenderness, and not with brutality. That is my idea of children.

When your little child tells a lie, do not rush at him as though the world were about to go into bankruptcy. Be honest with him. A tyrant father will have liars for his children; do you know that? A lie is born of tyranny upon the one hand and weakness upon the other, and when you rush at a poor little boy with a club in your hand, of course he lies.

I thank thee, Mother Nature, that thou hast put ingenuity enough in the brain of a child, when attacked by a brutal parent, to throw up a little breastwork in the shape of a lie.

When one of your children tells a lie, be honest with him; tell him that you have told hundreds of them yourself. Tell him it is not the best way; that you have tried it. Tell him as the man did in Maine when his boy left home: "John, honesty is the best policy; I have tried both." Be honest with him. Suppose a man as much larger than you as you are larger than a child five years old, should come at you with a liberty pole in his hand, and in a voice of thunder shout, "Who broke that plate?" There is not a solitary one of you who would not swear you never saw it, or that it was cracked when you got it. Why not be honest with these children? Just imagine a man who deals in stocks whipping his boy for putting false rumors afloat! Think of a lawyer beating his own flesh and blood for evading the truth when he makes half of his own living that way! Think of a minister punishing his child for not telling all he thinks! Just think of it!

When your child commits a wrong, take it in your arms; let it feel your heart beat against its heart; let the child know that you really and truly and sincerely love it. Yet some Christians, good Christians, when a child commits a fault, drive it from the door and say: "Never do you darken this house again." Think of that! And then these same people will get down on their knees and ask God to take care of the child they have driven from home. I will never ask God to take care of my children unless I am doing my level best in that same direction.

But I will tell you what I say to my children: "Go where you will, commit what crime you may; fall to what depth of degradation you may; you can never commit any crime that will shut my door, my arms, or my heart to you. As long as I live you shall have one sincere friend."

Do you know that I have seen some people who acted as though they thought that when the Savior said "Suffer little children to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of heaven," he had a raw- hide under his mantle, and made that remark simply to get the children within striking distance?

I do not believe in the government of the lash. If any one of you ever expects to whip your children again, I want you to have a photograph taken of yourself when you are in the act, with your face red with vulgar anger, and the face of the little child, with eyes swimming in tears and the little chin dimpled with fear, like a piece of water struck by a sudden cold wind. Have the picture taken. If that little child should die, I cannot think of a sweeter way to spend an autumn afternoon than to go out to the cemetery, when the maples are clad in tender gold, and little scarlet runners are coming, like poems of regret, from the sad heart of the earth -- and sit down upon the grave and look at that photograph, and think of the flesh now dust that you beat. I tell you it is wrong; it is no way to raise children! Make your home happy. Be honest with them. Divide fairly with them in everything.

Give them a little liberty and love, and you can not drive them out of your house. They will want to stay there. Make home pleasant. Let them play any game they wish. Do not be so foolish as to say: "You may roll balls on the ground, but you must not roll them on a green cloth. You may knock them with a mallet, but you must not push them with a cue. You may play with little pieces of paper which have "authors" written on them, but you must not have "cards." Think of it! "You may go to a minstrel show where people blacken themselves, but you must not go to a theater and see the characters created by immortal genius put upon the stage." Why? Well, I can't think of any reason in the world except "minstrel" is a word of two syllables, and "theater" has three.

Let children have some daylight at home if you want to keep them there, and do not commence at the cradle and shout "Don't!" "Don't!" "Stop!" That is nearly all that is said to a child from the cradle until he is twenty-one years old, and when he comes of age other people begin saying "Don't!" And the church says "Don't!" and the party he belongs to says "Don't!"

I despise that way of going through this world. Let us have liberty -- Just a little. Call me infidel, call me atheist, call me what you will, I intend so to treat my children, that they can come to my grave and truthfully say: "He who sleeps here never gave us a moment of pain. From his lips, now dust, never came to us an unkind word."
The Liberty Of Man, Woman and Child

• Locked thread