Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Oh hell yeah! Missouri keep in' it shameful. I'd be proud if I weren't disgusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JiveHonky posted:

it was called getting jumped, i learned that it sucks

It sure does.

It was pretty satisfying to shove one kid's face into a brick wall and then haymaker his friend while they weren't paying attention in retaliation, though. It was a much easier fight than when they decided they were going to beat on and harass me for months while teachers did nothing. There were only two of them instead of four hanging out and I had surprise! Grade school was cool.

What I learned is that when people hurt you for fun, your hurt them back harder, for real, and they leave you alone. I also learned that sometimes I guess you can draw blood on the playground and maybe break a nose and not get in trouble!

Moving every year or two was great, because I got to get singled out and bullied at each new place. Apparently possessing patience and not actually wanting to be violent were not good qualities to have when constantly switching schools. Also being fat, reading lots of books, drawing and being interested in nature and science were apparently bad ideas.

The point of this is, the kids that wouldn't leave me alone all had abusive parents and were also getting paddled at school, too. It was uncanny. Everywhere I went, the kids that got beat for discipline then took it out on me.

I always felt so terrible while on top of those assholes when I finally snapped, beating their faces over and over, pushing them down every time they tried to get up and getting a solid kick in before settling back in for pounding. I'd be crying and apologizing and saying that I wouldn't be doing this if they had just left me alone.

When I got paddled at school, I didn't learn a drat thing other than the Vice Principal or whoever enjoyed hitting children with wooden implements.

gently caress yeah! School was awesome and beating your children raises them up right!

At least high school was just awkward and I actually made friends and stuff.

I'm a huge loving pussy and this was really only about corporal punishment being lovely.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JiveHonky posted:

It sounds really cool to write on an internet forum but "powering up and going super saiyan to bring the flying fists of berszerker fury to the faces of your tormentors once you were pushed too far" wasn't a realistic option for me when I was bullied and beat up in high school. There were gangs and drug dealers and poo poo. I remember seeing some big muscle freak senior jumping and stomping on a kids head trying, I assume, to get the candy out the pinata. People would get hosed up like that fairly regularly. I was a skinny dork with sally jesse raphael glasses, not a tough guy. Its good that some of you cats could avenge yourselfs but like I said, that wasn't my circumstance.

In b4 getting called a beta bitch.

Nah, man, I regret that poo poo. The only reason I could do what I did was because I was fat but also big and strong. There weren't really gangs or drug dealers because the schools I was at were on military bases or in small loving towns outside of them. I probably also got picked on and also not punished because I was an officer's kid. I had a lot of advantages there as far as fighting bullies was concerned.

I hate that I hurt people. :smith:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm ok with corporal punishment as long as kids get rum to cope. Let's be honest here, they already get sodomy and the lash often enough.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

So the spartans had it all wrong. Makes you think.

According to my kids my methods are the worst/most damaging. I send them to the hellscape known as "outside". And I take away their tablets which seem to be some kind of life support mechanism.

(and if I really want to be horrible I'll turn off the wifi)

From the articles quoted above, there was the bit that said time-outs were just as effective short-term as rear end-whipping, without the long-term negatives. I assume that the removal of luxuries and liberties falls in the same category as time-out. So, I guess long-term it doesn't do much to change behavior as the compliance enforced by punishment erodes, but it can get you some breathing room so you don't go nuts as a parent. I survived getting booted off of the Nintendo, but I guess I also survived spankings too. I know which one I dreaded more: no Nintendo or PC. Getting praised for good work, doing good deeds without being prompted and assigned chores with even just a hug, a kiss or an "I love you," afterwards worked wonders for my behavior.

My parents stopped using corporal punishment over time (never a lot to begin with though) as my father's military career took my parents away from their emotionally and physically abusive families and the weird culty Christian sect my mom grew up with. They are mega-chill these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

notZaar posted:

When you think about it, beating a child with the full force of an adult body is kind of hosed up.

Col. Robert Green Ingersoll posted:

If women have been slaves, what shall I say of children; of the little children in alleys and sub-cellars; the little children who turn pale when they hear their father's footsteps; little children who run away when they only hear their names called by the lips of a mother; little children -- the children of poverty, the children of crime, the children of brutality, wherever they are -- flotsam and jetsam upon the wild, mad sea of life -- my heart goes out to them, one and all.

I tell you the children have the same rights that we have, and we ought to treat them as though they were human beings. They should be reared with love, with kindness, with tenderness, and not with brutality. That is my idea of children.

When your little child tells a lie, do not rush at him as though the world were about to go into bankruptcy. Be honest with him. A tyrant father will have liars for his children; do you know that? A lie is born of tyranny upon the one hand and weakness upon the other, and when you rush at a poor little boy with a club in your hand, of course he lies.

I thank thee, Mother Nature, that thou hast put ingenuity enough in the brain of a child, when attacked by a brutal parent, to throw up a little breastwork in the shape of a lie.

When one of your children tells a lie, be honest with him; tell him that you have told hundreds of them yourself. Tell him it is not the best way; that you have tried it. Tell him as the man did in Maine when his boy left home: "John, honesty is the best policy; I have tried both." Be honest with him. Suppose a man as much larger than you as you are larger than a child five years old, should come at you with a liberty pole in his hand, and in a voice of thunder shout, "Who broke that plate?" There is not a solitary one of you who would not swear you never saw it, or that it was cracked when you got it. Why not be honest with these children? Just imagine a man who deals in stocks whipping his boy for putting false rumors afloat! Think of a lawyer beating his own flesh and blood for evading the truth when he makes half of his own living that way! Think of a minister punishing his child for not telling all he thinks! Just think of it!

When your child commits a wrong, take it in your arms; let it feel your heart beat against its heart; let the child know that you really and truly and sincerely love it. Yet some Christians, good Christians, when a child commits a fault, drive it from the door and say: "Never do you darken this house again." Think of that! And then these same people will get down on their knees and ask God to take care of the child they have driven from home. I will never ask God to take care of my children unless I am doing my level best in that same direction.

But I will tell you what I say to my children: "Go where you will, commit what crime you may; fall to what depth of degradation you may; you can never commit any crime that will shut my door, my arms, or my heart to you. As long as I live you shall have one sincere friend."

Do you know that I have seen some people who acted as though they thought that when the Savior said "Suffer little children to come unto me, for of such is the kingdom of heaven," he had a raw- hide under his mantle, and made that remark simply to get the children within striking distance?

I do not believe in the government of the lash. If any one of you ever expects to whip your children again, I want you to have a photograph taken of yourself when you are in the act, with your face red with vulgar anger, and the face of the little child, with eyes swimming in tears and the little chin dimpled with fear, like a piece of water struck by a sudden cold wind. Have the picture taken. If that little child should die, I cannot think of a sweeter way to spend an autumn afternoon than to go out to the cemetery, when the maples are clad in tender gold, and little scarlet runners are coming, like poems of regret, from the sad heart of the earth -- and sit down upon the grave and look at that photograph, and think of the flesh now dust that you beat. I tell you it is wrong; it is no way to raise children! Make your home happy. Be honest with them. Divide fairly with them in everything.

Give them a little liberty and love, and you can not drive them out of your house. They will want to stay there. Make home pleasant. Let them play any game they wish. Do not be so foolish as to say: "You may roll balls on the ground, but you must not roll them on a green cloth. You may knock them with a mallet, but you must not push them with a cue. You may play with little pieces of paper which have "authors" written on them, but you must not have "cards." Think of it! "You may go to a minstrel show where people blacken themselves, but you must not go to a theater and see the characters created by immortal genius put upon the stage." Why? Well, I can't think of any reason in the world except "minstrel" is a word of two syllables, and "theater" has three.

Let children have some daylight at home if you want to keep them there, and do not commence at the cradle and shout "Don't!" "Don't!" "Stop!" That is nearly all that is said to a child from the cradle until he is twenty-one years old, and when he comes of age other people begin saying "Don't!" And the church says "Don't!" and the party he belongs to says "Don't!"

I despise that way of going through this world. Let us have liberty -- Just a little. Call me infidel, call me atheist, call me what you will, I intend so to treat my children, that they can come to my grave and truthfully say: "He who sleeps here never gave us a moment of pain. From his lips, now dust, never came to us an unkind word."
The Liberty Of Man, Woman and Child

• Locked thread