Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Windows 98 posted:

Once again another map proving the south is a loving backwards poo poo hole.

That's pretty racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Doc Friday posted:

You must know a lot about racism.

Yeah, but only for one part of the planet.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Maybe it's because these are southern kids that they need beaten. I mean, we've all met some people from rural south before.

You mean black kids? Because that's who's getting beaten disproportionately.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roylicious posted:

teach the kid that force is an acceptable method to get others to comply

Isn't that why we have cops, army people, guards, etc?

Force, or the threat of force, is the only method that works.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do It Once Right posted:

teen getting forcibly baptized by Southern Baptists,

Can you link that episode? That sounds crazy and totally goes against actual southern baptist doctrine. I'd like to see it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do It Once Right posted:

I'll try to find it. I haven't watched the show in years. It may not have been southern baptists, but they were definitely a protestant denomination. I just assumed since it had a southern baptist vibe. I'll link it when I find it.

Just curious because the southern baptist churches that i've been involved with over the years take that stuff pretty seriously and you've got to be the one asking for it. And even then they'll barrage you with questions to check if your really sure.

And all that goes double for kids.

In the korea thread there was a guy who was getting paid to teach some teen how to be a "man". LIke, his parents thought a white dude with a beard was the bees knees in manliness. Stereotypes are funny sometimes.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

have you all beaten your children to death yet

My children play roller derby so I don't have to do all the work of beating them to death.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roylicious posted:

We're talking about school children. Maybe if we didn't teach them that beating people who do not do what you want is acceptable we wouldn't have so much crime and selfish assholery going on when they grow up?

I guess it is easier to just hit them into submission instead of teaching them why they shouldn't be doing what they are doing though.

lol, you sound like my hippie/liberal/democrat/etc dad. He used to spout that crap in public and then was a raging maniac at home.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roylicious posted:

Okay lol?

Beating kids is good because your dad said it is bad but he was a nutter; brilliant argument, barrister.

Thanks.

And when did I say beating kids was good? Seriously, you're making poo poo up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roylicious posted:

So you quoted me and said 'you sound just like my nutso dad' but you weren't trying to say you disagree? Because what I'm saying is 'corporal punishment is ineffective at best and at worst causes bad things.'

You got it.

But I don't think you're THAT against using force against stuff. Now children, yeah ok. But you, on this very forums, were bragging about writing bot programs to spam communications on websites you don't like.

*edit* You should thank whoever got you that zimmerman av. It makes your posts very noticeable. And the anime you had before was dumb.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roylicious posted:

Well this thread is about corporal punishment in schools so yeah we're talking about kids. Obv force is fine sometimes I'm not a bleeding heart liberal just because I don't agree with the resident right wing nutsos.

I'm just talking about in the context of raising kids or training animals, negative reinforcement has the opposite of the intended effect 99% of the time even if it is light negative reinforcement. That's not that controversial really.

And that anime I had was a drawing someone did for me I liked it :(

You did that?

If you're ever curious about people's av history just type the name here: https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=spacetoaster

As to your claim that negative reinforcement causes the opposite effect 99% of the time? Source?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Roylicious posted:

Idk there's really just tons of data showing that negative reinforcement doesn't teach the kid anything other than don't get caught while causing all kinds of other psychological harm.

So the spartans had it all wrong. Makes you think.

According to my kids my methods are the worst/most damaging. I send them to the hellscape known as "outside". And I take away their tablets which seem to be some kind of life support mechanism.

(and if I really want to be horrible I'll turn off the wifi)

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

From the articles quoted above, there was the bit that said time-outs were just as effective short-term as rear end-whipping, without the long-term negatives. I assume that the removal of luxuries and liberties falls in the same category as time-out. So, I guess long-term it doesn't do much to change behavior as the compliance enforced by punishment erodes, but it can get you some breathing room so you don't go nuts as a parent. I survived getting booted off of the Nintendo, but I guess I also survived spankings too. I know which one I dreaded more: no Nintendo or PC. Getting praised for good work, doing good deeds without being prompted and assigned chores with even just a hug, a kiss or an "I love you," afterwards worked wonders for my behavior.

My parents stopped using corporal punishment over time (never a lot to begin with though) as my father's military career took my parents away from their emotionally and physically abusive families and the weird culty Christian sect my mom grew up with. They are mega-chill these days.

I took my son's tablet PC away for an entire month once. It sat on the bar the entire time. I forget exactly what he did, but it was bad (lied about something important I think). I'm pretty sure that's the worst punishment I ever did to him (he's 7).

Now his older sister is another story. I'll withhold a shopping trip or movie night and you'd think I stabbed her in the chest with a steak knife.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Razorwired posted:

I'm 100% okay with my kids' teachers paddling them. But only if I get to beat seven shades of poo poo out of those teachers if my kids have lovely grades come parent teacher conference night.

This sounds reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

that requires parents to pay attention to their kids long enough to see them doing something worthy of a whoopin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsGkk1GGw3w

• Locked thread