Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite part of reading these all-time records lists is seeing some random scrub journeyman like Antawn Jamison on the list surrounded by all-time greats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Curry was definitely off but it also felt like the Warriors in general started playing idiotic Rockets-like ball in the postseason for some reason. Curry's gravitational pull being weaker is probably a major part of why they looked like that but that shouldn't stop them from winging the ball around.

Watching Kevin McHale walk is a good example of what can happen when you try to play through a serious injury.

E2M2 posted:

Dwight just opted out too

:pray:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't think anyone posting on here honestly believes any different.

We believe in shook and the pipe only thank you very much.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

E2M2 posted:

Come to Chicago Dwight, there are so many hotels in the city to have parties with high school girls in.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

We believe in shook and the pipe only thank you very much.

Shookness is a completely scientific fact and Curry got himself shook by putting his name on such lame-rear end shoes (p<0.5).

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I almost don't hate the idea of Dwight on the Warriors if he takes a pay cut

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I would be ok with Dwight signing a deal with the Spurs as long as it is at the vet minimum and he comes off the bench.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
think about it guys:

Pat Riley is so great, he managed to make even lovely, loserville Cleveland into a title team.

that's impressive.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In regards to Valentine, if you say "he wasn't athletic anyway", consider Miami Heat Mike Bibby. You can't take someone who isn't very athletic, make them worse, and not have it be a disaster

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dwight is still a contract or two away from not insisting on starting and posting up guys

meanwhile

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/745342968840740864

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Although Dwight might quit on the team the first time he gets yelled at by a Pop or Kerr.

PantsFreeZone posted:

think about it guys:

Pat Riley is so great, he managed to make even lovely, loserville Cleveland into a title team.

that's impressive.

Out of the kindness of his heart, he acted like an rear end in a top hat to Lebron on the way out to motivate him.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol Lebron stole Miami's LOB trophies

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN should pay people to watch.

This lacks symmetry. LBJ needs to cure AIDS etc.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Speaking of Riley, this poo poo is pretty funny:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16231005/oral-history-2006-nba-finals

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

This isn't that surprising, I mean if you look at Adam Morrison's face there might as well be a thought bubble above his head saying "I'm a social liberal but a fiscal conservative"

This is a cool article though. I like reading about ex-NBA players who are basically happy and seem to have learned a lot from playing in the NBA and overseas.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Guns own though??

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zogo posted:

Curry was not close to his regular season self. He missed plenty of 3P shots he normally makes. Studies have been done showing player performance correlates most with minutes played (compared to age or games played). Kobe and Dirk are two guys who've started out seasons strong recently and then suddenly had a major drop off. If the season was shorter things would play out differently.

"No excuses!" or "the great ones tell their body...not today" are vacuously macho mantras not based in reality.

I think part of the million dollars they get is being able to deal with being tired. And if you are hurt to the point where you are costing your team, then maybe you should tell the coach "not today."

Although I don't think Steph has had to work this hard in his life for anything, so maybe he was just unprepared for the challenge. The entire team looked like they could just show up and win the title, which I'll put on fatigue, both physical and mental. That, though, falls on the coaching staff I think.

Kerr hosed the Warriors more than any of the players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ah dammit, Summer League doesn't fall around my vacation this year. Seems like they're having it a few days earlier than usual but maybe that's because July starts on a Friday this year.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Ezeli and Varejao getting extended minutes hosed the team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay I'll bite, how does money make someone less tired playing

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tae posted:

It's mostly the fact that, if you are playing at the highest level of basketball, saying you are tired shouldn't pass as an excuse. Either suck it up or train harder.

The highest level just happens to come with millions of dollars.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

When you look into the eyes of Franklin your conscience and sub-conscience become one and tells the body not today

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

TBeats posted:

I think part of the million dollars they get is being able to deal with being tired. And if you are hurt to the point where you are costing your team, then maybe you should tell the coach "not today."

Although I don't think Steph has had to work this hard in his life for anything, so maybe he was just unprepared for the challenge. The entire team looked like they could just show up and win the title, which I'll put on fatigue, both physical and mental. That, though, falls on the coaching staff I think.

Kerr hosed the Warriors more than any of the players.

spicy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Ah dammit, Summer League doesn't fall around my vacation this year. Seems like they're having it a few days earlier than usual but maybe that's because July starts on a Friday this year.

Summer League so far has always been the first weekend after the 4th of July. I pretty much blindly book my flight and hotels early in the year because they don't release the dates until something stupid like the beginning of June

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Someone might remember more details about this than I do, but the line-up change they made in the 2015 finals wasn't Kerr's idea- it was some film guy or something on the staff who called Luke Walton in the middle of the night who then convinced Kerr to do it.

e: "Lacob vows to be aggressive, fires Steve Kerr, clones 1996 Phil Jackson."

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 22, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Luke Walton was the real brains behind that operation.

Mark my words the Lakers will win a ring before the Warriors do again.

Lakersfan.gif

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

E2M2 posted:

The D'antoni hire is already paying off.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Golden State finally getting D12 would be amusing. Of course Steve Nash is probably lobbying like hell right now not to do that

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

WhyteRyce posted:

Golden State finally getting D12 would be amusing. Of course Steve Nash is probably lobbying like hell right now not to do that

KD, D12, Steph, Klay and Draymond as a starting 5 would be interesting to watch even though it will never happen.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Someone might remember more details about this than I do, but the line-up change they made in the 2015 finals wasn't Kerr's idea- it was some film guy or something on the staff who called Luke Walton in the middle of the night who then convinced Kerr to do it.

e: "Lacob vows to be aggressive, fires Steve Kerr, clones 1996 Phil Jackson."

That was the big story last year. Although apparently the entire coaching staff had also come to that conclusion too. Not hard to imagine since it was obvious they needed Iggy on the floor every minute Lebron was playing.

What I don't remember is whether Kerr said it was the assistant's idea before it worked or he waited until after. Because that could have been a large bus to throw someone under.

Dexo posted:

Luke Walton was the real brains behind that operation.

Mark my words the Lakers will win a ring before the Warriors do again.

Lakersfan.gif

That seems unlikely unless Lebron and KD both join them this summer. I am curious to see how he does, but being able to play Curry/Klay/Green erases a lot of mistakes. He's clearly very smart but I think he'll be more like D'Antoni. Good on offense, meh defense and runs his players into the ground because he doesn't want to rest his starters.

He did straight hockey subs all the time at the beginning of GSW's season. Which meant he played lineups that had Ezeli, Speights and Livingston on the floor together every game.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

TBeats posted:

KD, D12, Steph, Klay and Draymond as a starting 5 would be interesting to watch even though it will never happen.

I think the biggest hilarity potential would involve them somehow landing Demarcus Cousins. Green and Cousins on the same team would lead to at least one amazing meltdown a month.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

morestuff posted:

Adam Morrison is a gun nut now but chill about it

Yeah, I'd still be down to go. I've tried to set something up for the past few years but my friends are either broke or don't care enough

Adam Morrison posted:

"I just try to make 6 to 8 percent a year," Morrison says. "That's all I need." He then lets out a small laugh. "It's a pretty good life."

Sounds like I need to hit up Adam Morrison for investment advice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Steve Francis also had an interview drop today.

quote:

Was it a hard transition going from basketball being your whole life to not having it at all?

When I finally said I’m not going to play, I was like, It’s party time. I traveled everywhere, I relaxed and rewarded myself. People said, He’s doing drugs—Hell, no, I wasn’t doing no drugs. Did I smoke some weed? Hell yeah. Was I drinking? Hell yeah, I was partying, spending whatever I felt. That was my way of releasing, like, drat, this is the thanks I get? So I’m going to party and chill.

Just to be clear, you are saying you never used drugs?

Hell loving no. Have I rolled a blunt or rolled some whiteboys up? Hell yeah. That’s it.

Did the partying ever take you to a dark place? Was the partying ever out of control?

Dark as far as just getting tired of drinking? Hell yeah. It wasn’t like I was trying to kill myself. But was I getting hosed up? Who didn’t? Who don’t? When you get drunk, you get drunk. It’s the same drunk for anybody. Anybody that drinks, who gets drunk, you know what getting drunk is. It’s no different. I’m human. If it was out of control, I wouldn’t be right here.

So you’re done with the partying?

I ain’t saying done. Man, look, I’m not no Johnny Manziel, that’s who the gently caress y’all need to talk to. Ain’t none of that. So talk to Johnny Manziel about that. I ain’t no nigga getting in no fights or beating anyone up. But don’t get it twisted. If I want to get 10 boats, I’ma get 10 boats. I’m going to be Steve. I don’t care what nobody say. I told the NBA that, I’ll tell the public that way. Whatever I feel like doing, I’ma do. Do you, do your life.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 22, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm ok with Steve. He sounds chill.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Franchise just wants to smoke a bowl and down some shots, man

Apparently this combo melts your face though

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Sometimes I forget that Steve Francis *started* three straight All-Star games. Early 2000s NBA was weird.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
People falling over themselves to poo poo on Kerr shouldn't surprise me as much as it does.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

People falling over themselves to poo poo on Kerr shouldn't surprise me as much as it does.

I think I've seen almost everyone involved in this Finals being poo poo on already. The world is full of joyless people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Festus Ezeli in crunch time of game 7

• Locked thread