Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Max posted:

With four players, no lynch is a good idea but 2 town ended up being semi-confirmed, which dropped it to just two choices, so it was probably for the best. It also forces scum to work harder since they have to wrangle two other player's votes, instead of one.

This was partially my feeling. Also, I severely doubt ssv was gonna change my mind. also I know there was no way flerp or ssv would be nked. It was gonna be me. Kinda selfish reason too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

The most epic adventure ever undertaken
Noooooo MT!!!!

OMG this game was both super fun and incredibly frustrating.

Grats scummies.

See you in Shine III~

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
BTW Viva, I want to bronze that huge post you made and put it on my wall. Amazing stuff there.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VivaNova posted:

Yesterday indicated to me that there are some town in this game who would benefit from some guidance. So I sincerely hope this is helpful and utilized in this game!

How To Find Scum and Case People Better, part 1:

1. Don’t rely on “meta”
Thinking ‘x acted like this in a past game where x was y alignment’ isn’t very helpful for at least 4 reasons:
a. Players generally act the same no matter what their alignment. Additionally, they will probably go through phases in the same game. Their posting will often be affected by timing and irl emotions more often it will be affected by alignment.
b. Sometimes players of both alignments will try to “switch up their playstyle” if they see too much reliance being paid to meta.
c. It’s an easy argument for scum to make, so it won’t convince anyone of your towniness.
d. It can distract you from focusing on better information.

2. Reread with focus
Its D5. You have lots of information that you didn’t on D1! Your D1 reads probably weren’t amazing, so it’s important to reread. Don’t just reread hoping something jumps out at you. Make a list of all the things you know now that town didn’t know D1. This includes flips, claims, results and set-up info. You might get lucky and spot someone who knew something they shouldn’t. More likely, you will have to keep in mind motivation. Who would the scum have wanted lynched at this point? Note who is working towards that objective. Ask yourself why your suspected posted what he did and wonder if your suspect’s actions reveal a scum motivation.

Don’t feel compelled to find evidence your suspect is scum or feel disappointed if you don’t. Post your findings and thoughts anyway- it might trigger a teammate to catch something you didn’t. Remember that finding evidence that can clear someone as town is just as important as finding scum. Calling someone town might be easier than calling them scum, but if you’ve done the work to show why they’re town, you’re doing your job.

3. Analyze interactions with flipped scum
Try to determine if there is a difference in how the suspect interacted with flipped scum and known town. Ask yourself what the purpose of their interactions were. Scum generally lack nuance in their relationship in thread. They have a doc, so they don’t tend to misinterpret something another scum said, or ask for clarification or correct each other about something. Their interactions are generally more simple- bus, ignore, piggyback.

4. Respond to every case
Even if it is only to say that you agree. This lets the poster know he should continue on this case. Really consider if the case follows a logical progression and, when appropriate, try to be critical or ask for clarification. Good town will appreciate critique and will refocus accordingly. Scum will often post ambiguously worded or vague cases but will show weakness in providing supporting details. Don’t back off if someone calls you scummy for pressing an issue. Follow your gut- they could be trying to scare you off a hot lead!

Likewise, demand reactions to your cases and be suspicious of anyone trying to avoid interacting with your case.

5. Post more
This thread is the only way non-masons can communicate with each other- the more you post, the more your teammates have to work with! If you are following the above steps you are acting like a good town and in a way that is difficult for scum to convincingly imitate at a high volume. Imagine scum trying to hide in a game where all townies are consistently casing and replying to each other and not tolerating lazy casework!

I think if you follow these tips, you’ll have more success at mafia, become more engaged in the game and have more fun!!

:waycool:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
gg and like i said earlier no lynching wouldnt have mattered because i wouldve been nked after not voting or moat wouldve been nked and we wouldve been on the same exact playing field p much where it was between mmt and ssv.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Sorry for my misguided suspicion quid, adahn, tq. Had it not been for that. I feel like I would have had more credibility in pushing mmt jimson gambit. You live, you learn.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
This game have me an excuse to drink a lot. Like way too much. Time to go easy with the shine and let my liver mend for Shine III.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i was actually close to voting mmt, the big thing being that there was very little interaction with the other scumbuds, with no votes on tpink or ccat, and a weak case on cpig w/ all of her casing ever being on town.

ssv was kinda the same thing lol but i had a gut read of town for some reason. prob shouldve posted that :shrug:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I spent waaaaay to much time reading and re reading this game. My home life suffered in a big way my wife kept thinking I was getting distressing work emails and texts with how much time I spent frowning at my phone

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ANYWAYS fun game, thanks for modding pod, had a lot of fun, lol at cpig saying he picked up redirector because lol which was the same exact reason why i chose redirector in the lottery, ill be back to shitpost more prob

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
So in summary I should have done what AA did and drink more read less thank you God bless

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

flerp posted:

i was actually close to voting mmt, the big thing being that there was very little interaction with the other scumbuds, with no votes on tpink or ccat, and a weak case on cpig w/ all of her casing ever being on town.

ssv was kinda the same thing lol but i had a gut read of town for some reason. prob shouldve posted that :shrug:

I spent a good portion of yesterday :f5:'ing the thread and hoping you would throw a second vote on SSV so I could hammer before he could defend himself, but you never gave me the easy out :argh: I had been sitting on trying to case SSV for claiming 4 actions when only 3 could be verified (the last one being me inheriting Redirector) but I was afraid that pointing that out would hurt me more than it would help me.

Also, I feel like there were a number of times where people (at the very least, AA and SSV and I think FL and flerp?) said they had a gut read on me as scum but didn't see anything suspicious, and every time someone posted that I felt like the jig was up.

VivaNova posted:

Noooooo MT!!!!

OMG this game was both super fun and incredibly frustrating.

Grats scummies.

See you in Shine III~

:glomp:

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Podima posted:

BTW Viva, I want to bronze that huge post you made and put it on my wall. Amazing stuff there.

Thanks. Eccoraven used to post poo poo like that and it helped me immensely.

Also I regretted letting AN die. That was a tad immature. so it was like a repentance.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

VivaNova posted:

Thanks. Eccoraven used to post poo poo like that and it helped me immensely.

Also I regretted letting AN die. That was a tad immature. so it was like a repentance.

Hey viva find a place to host that post. I wanna throw it in the OPs for any games I host but u just wanna link instead of wall o text.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

flerp posted:

U played good this game flerp ❤

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i just shitposted basically all the time :suezo:

also i just put viva's post in pastebin

http://pastebin.com/uCStJU10

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Yeah, I also thought Viva's post was super helpful - thanks for that!

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

flerp posted:

Ha thanks. I would def not know to do that.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

flerp posted:

Yeah like I said

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

U played good this game flerp ❤

poo poo post buddieslovers 4 lyfe
:glomp:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
man jimmy when we get scum together whoa boy

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
A frightening prospect

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

flerp posted:

man jimmy when we get scum together whoa boy

Moatillata posted:

A loving prospect

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm still chuckling at "curiousCat: avatar sexually confusing"

where was this lol

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Viva's post summed up a lot of what I've been thinking the past few months with some of the newer players. You rock, Viva!

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

curiousCat posted:

where was this lol

Tswift holds the secrets to my play style

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
thank you jimson

Sorry again that my work schedule kind of... obliterated my opportunity to interact with this game.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
I really wanna play another game with this boss dynamic. It really would have been interesting if it had continued past day 2. Just make me the hit man

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

curiousCat posted:

thank you jimson

Sorry again that my work schedule kind of... obliterated my opportunity to interact with this game.

Lol still won so :shrug:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Lol still won so :shrug:

Hahaha I forgot about this:

I made an offhand comment in the scumdoc about how Pig and I would make a solid good cop/bad cop team, and then Jimson shared the above pic in the doc. It wasn't in the thread but it showed up on the bottom of the screen if anyone clicked on the pics he was sharing. I remember thinking it would be hilarious if someone saw that amongst the shared photos in his folder and figured out that it was supposed to be the two of us and cased us because of that pic.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

It was fun getting to use the notebook for good rather than evil.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

flerp posted:

thx bro i am going to throw this in all my future OPs with sirens around the link or some poo poo

ALSO what did people think of this revision of the anti-lurking rules? I know Viva was a bit unsatisfied with them but I thought they did a pretty good job of keeping people nudged, even if there were some slacker days.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moatillata posted:

So in summary I should have done what AA did and drink more read less thank you God bless

:yeah:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Moatillata posted:

I spent waaaaay to much time reading and re reading this game. My home life suffered in a big way my wife kept thinking I was getting distressing work emails and texts with how much time I spent frowning at my phone

This rules btw, I'm going to have to put a disclaimer in Shine III's OP that my games ruin lives. Tell your wife I'm sorry!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Podima posted:

thx bro i am going to throw this in all my future OPs with sirens around the link or some poo poo

ALSO what did people think of this revision of the anti-lurking rules? I know Viva was a bit unsatisfied with them but I thought they did a pretty good job of keeping people nudged, even if there were some slacker days.

I thought they ended up being too lenient still when all was said and done. But it was better than nothing. Maybe no warning? Just go right to being a free cuddle the first time you don't make your 10 posts? And there is no guarantee people would do it, but the option would be there. You would still be able to present yourself as worthy the next day/fight against the cuddle if it was a one off issue.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Yeah I liked the idea of them but you could be on notice one day then make sure to hit the minimum and then go right back to being off probation. I agree with kB that they should be a bit harsher. Like permanent probation or something to that effect. Or raise the post minimum for repeat offenders

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Podima posted:

As someone who didn't meet them on a few days I think they probably could stand to be made a bit more strict. It felt at least like a good incentive to get me to think critically about the game and try and make constructive posts which I think was the point. Later days like the one where almost everyone got on probation because there simply wasn't a ton of discussion before the lynch should maybe be looked at on a case by case basis.

I think the probation in general didn't work out as it should, it didn't feel like a huge problem to miss the psot count on any given single day.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

Hahaha I forgot about this:

I made an offhand comment in the scumdoc about how Pig and I would make a solid good cop/bad cop team, and then Jimson shared the above pic in the doc. It wasn't in the thread but it showed up on the bottom of the screen if anyone clicked on the pics he was sharing. I remember thinking it would be hilarious if someone saw that amongst the shared photos in his folder and figured out that it was supposed to be the two of us and cased us because of that pic.
oh I so wish this had happened!

I also wish kills went thru the redirect for the ridiculousness that would have caused N1.

And for realsies, I feel like MT raised the bar on scum play this game. If you look at the vast majority of her posts they are solid. Some seriously inspirational poo poo right here. I hope one day I can as successfully deceive a bunch of online strangers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

VivaNova posted:

oh I so wish this had happened!

I also wish kills went thru the redirect for the ridiculousness that would have caused N1.

And for realsies, I feel like MT raised the bar on scum play this game. If you look at the vast majority of her posts they are solid. Some seriously inspirational poo poo right here. I hope one day I can as successfully deceive a bunch of online strangers.

Yeah that was some good scum posting. When I went back to reread her, I couldn't put my finger on what I found suspicious about her at all.

VivaNova
Sep 12, 2009

tbh something felt a little off about losing a game where honesty town did pretty drat well- they got 4/5 scum and only mislynched D1, D4, D7 +D8. I feel like tq and the vigs hurt us more than helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Good game Fun times

• Locked thread