Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

What was bad? I'm on New Game + and excited about the AI using AoE spells. Was combat dull or too difficult or?

Just really tedious? Cooldowns and rtwp is a really bad combination, ended up pausing a buttload of times each time something came off cooldowns to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Relevant Tangent posted:

What was bad? I'm on New Game + and excited about the AI using AoE spells. Was combat dull or too difficult or?

RealTime with Pause is a nice idea in theory but just isn't as good as turn-based or something more action-oriented.

I'd have much preferred if more games just went X-COM style or like Shadowrun Returns. Or even FF Tactics.

Not quite a fan of the free-movement gridless in Divinity Original Sin but I'll take it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

bewilderment posted:

RealTime with Pause is a nice idea in theory but just isn't as good as turn-based or something more action-oriented.

I'd have much preferred if more games just went X-COM style or like Shadowrun Returns. Or even FF Tactics.

Not quite a fan of the free-movement gridless in Divinity Original Sin but I'll take it.

I guess I mostly treat it as turn-based that I can ignore. At the start I pause and worry a bunch about positioning and by the midpoint I'm hitting speedup to get it done quicker. tbf I'm bad at X-COM.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tekz posted:

Just really tedious? Cooldowns and rtwp is a really bad combination, ended up pausing a buttload of times each time something came off cooldowns to use it.

Hit pause and target it, done. Turn off party AI, they'll default to basic attacks until you tell them otherwise.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
rtwp is Good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
For rpgs I much prefer real time with pause, i just find turn based to be slow and annoying. I personally really liked the combat in Tyranny.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Turn based to be good needs to go all the way and just make it a strategy game fire emblem or ff tactics style. Combat in wasteland 2 was a slog, Torment's combat was really bad too. Divinity os is another recent one and while that one worked better for me it was seriously hurt by the lack of grid movement/targetting, the shadow run games also mostly pulled it off but even that had some jank and annoyances.

And all of these have the issue of having to sit through the enemy doing their thing way too slowly with no way to react - in fire emblem you can turn it to quick animations or just skip enemy phase entirely and just see the results.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Combat would be better in Tyranny if they had more enemy variety, for too much of the game it's the same combo of tank, mage and either an archer or a dual knives dude.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 18, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Yeah, it would have been cool to encounter an actual phalanx. Six Stone Shields and then a couple of Outriders attack you after you're engaged.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Whoah! A karate man! Back to boring rear end fights with the same combo of tank, mage and either an archer or a dual knives dude.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah, it would have been cool to encounter an actual phalanx. Six Stone Shields and then a couple of Outriders attack you after you're engaged.

Or have fights against the Chorus actually be a horde of desperate slaves with pitchforks backed up by a few badass furies and their off-brand wizards.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The combat being bad had nothing to do with it being RTWP and everything to do with everything post first act being really lazily designed. Imo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
It's not just rtwp. I prefer turn based but rtwp works OK in pillars. It's the combo of rtwp + constantly pausing on cooldowns versus pillars' per rest/encounter/consumed uses model, the latter is way more sane.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Considering combo attacks exist the game should've just copied Chrono Trigger's combat system exactly.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The combat a bit into the game against trash mobs was dull as hell. It consisted of unloading mage alphas and watching the screen light up. Then mop up the remains if anything miraculously survived. Pre-nerf buffing a melee to a ridicoulous degree and just let him or her kill everything without breaking a sweat was also an option. Because the AI was unable to use the very unbalanced and overpowered magic system well there was no challenge to it even on the highest difficulty.

Of course you could play suboptimally to make it more fair, but who the hell does that?

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I held off on this a long time cause I'm one of the people PoE didn't really do it for. At first I was totally in love with this game but now I'm getting into Act 3 it's becoming a real slog and I have trouble playing for more than a few minutes at a time. Kinda disappointing but the beginning was strong enough to make it worth the $16 on kinguin

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Good news is that once you reach Act 3 the game is basically over. Like you might easily have less than an hour of game time left depending on what path you took.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I read earlier in the thread that you should pick Vigor at the start -- is that true? Why?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

omg chael crash posted:

I read earlier in the thread that you should pick Vigor at the start -- is that true? Why?

No. Vigor and Atrophy are among the worst starter picks possible.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Pick Frost at the start, it's The Damage Element in this game. If you just want to make people explode, throw a rimespike at them.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

No. Vigor and Atrophy are among the worst starter picks possible.

Sorry, I meant "shouldn't." Are they still really bad if I'm also taking two handed? I like the idea of playing some sort of evil, buffing Paladin.

Also, is if possible to automatically make my party follow whichever character I'm controlling ala Dragon Age or KOTOR? Or do I have to select the entire party every time?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Vigor isn't an absolute waste of a spell slot or combat action like I might say atrophy is. But its still a really bad starter pick because you can get it fairly early on I think and the skill has no important bearing on the effectiveness so the character creation bump is wasted.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

omg chael crash posted:

Sorry, I meant "shouldn't." Are they still really bad if I'm also taking two handed? I like the idea of playing some sort of evil, buffing Paladin.

If you want to play a specific character go for it. Just be aware that the bonus starting skill you get in vigor doesn't do anything, you get a good buffer/healer npc early on anyway and it's just a weak school of magic generally.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

omg chael crash posted:

Also, is if possible to automatically make my party follow whichever character I'm controlling ala Dragon Age or KOTOR? Or do I have to select the entire party every time?

iirc, every other buff spell is better than the vigor buff spells

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm very slow with playing these games but lol I definitely picked Atrophy when I started a couple weeks ago

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

iirc, every other buff spell is better than the vigor buff spells

Vigor does have that cone spell that buffs damage by a percentage which doesn't seem to override any other buffs and I found quite nice in NG+ POTD but otherwise yeah it's an element that I never really used.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'm very slow with playing these games but lol I definitely picked Atrophy when I started a couple weeks ago

my first character went atrophy/vigor so i could play with a whole bunch of buffs and debuffs and then i got about 30 minutes in and said gently caress thisssssssssss

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Okay okay, I'll restart with some sort of offensive magic.

I really like warhammers/maces but it seems that I can only pick them after picking swords first?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

I really like warhammers/maces but it seems that I can only pick them after picking swords first?
Yeah, but you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one of those I think. As for the skill, it's the same for the two types of weapons.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

Okay okay, I'll restart with some sort of offensive magic.

Nah, if you choose magic first the second choice will still be warhammers.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
The expansion is officially coming out September 7th for 14.99, as per the Paradox stream at Gamescon.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I played through most of Tyranny but couldn't hack the final battle with my last play through. Then I got into Pillars for the first time after bouncing off it a couple of runs. I'm hoping to finish Pillars then work on Tyranny again and take it through the expansion.

For all that Pillars has better combat mechanics by far, I do like the skill advancement system at least in theory. Levels of experience and stuff feel very artificial compared with gradually and organically getting better at doing the things your guys do, but I'm not sure any games have really done it right.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Another problem is that the skill-based system doesn't really mesh with the companions. For example, I tried a gimmick on my second run by having Sirin wear heavy armor (and just to be a dick, I gave her Crimson Spear armor) and hit people with a spear. Because she's got no ability to help that kind of playstyle, she got kind of boring.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

X_Toad posted:

Another problem is that the skill-based system doesn't really mesh with the companions. For example, I tried a gimmick on my second run by having Sirin wear heavy armor (and just to be a dick, I gave her Crimson Spear armor) and hit people with a spear. Because she's got no ability to help that kind of playstyle, she got kind of boring.

One of the good things about newgame+ is that you can put all her points into stuff like that if you want, and then raise the skills through use from there.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Bastard's Wound release date is September 7 - $14.99

quote:

Bastard’s Wound expansion opens up a new area of the Tiers where refugees from the war-torn world have established a haven in secret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3TzucxIBnE

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

One of the good things about newgame+ is that you can put all her points into stuff like that if you want, and then raise the skills through use from there.
It's not so much that she never got good at it. No, she did good damage with her spear. It's just that, compared to Barik, Verse, Killsy and the PC, who all have abilities to use in melee related to their weapon, Sirin doesn't really have anything to support a primarily weapon-oriented build.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Her auras actually do synergize well with that build though? And she has a few short range song abilities that are good.

It's weird because that's actually a normal and recommended build for her.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Somebody's gonna fight some cloud monsters and I'm probably gonna watch em cuz I do not want to start a new game of this and I don't remember much of my only playthrough character

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

If there's more Kills-In-Shadow, I will buy more of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news?aid=Bastards-Wound-Release-Date
"learn more about your party in a trio of companion quests featuring Lantry, Verse, and Barik."

• Locked thread