Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There's a stance called Blitz in the power(I think?) tree that reduces all cooldowns you might want to get too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It's most efficient to take lightning because frost is available really early on to be bought. But yeah, it's definitely the best damage and has a good debuff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing I wish someone had told me about magic before I played Tyranny is that you get the rune for healing magic by talking to Lantry until he teaches it to you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Alchenar posted:

The thing I wish someone had told me about magic before I played Tyranny is that you get the rune for healing magic by talking to Lantry until he teaches it to you.

This is true for Ebb and Gravelight too. In Tyranny, it's okay to extort things from people.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

wiegieman posted:

This is true for Ebb and Gravelight too. In Tyranny, it's okay to extort things from people.

You don't even have to extort her. If you side with the rebels and have one positive interaction with her after she is happy to teach you. Kyros, but I wish this game was getting a sequel.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's most efficient to take lightning because frost is available really early on to be bought.

So is shock. Frost is a much much better school through chapter 1 and picking it at character creation will get you more accuracy with it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It really boils down to the fact that the best status effect is Dead, and in chapter one Frost will be strong enough to kill dudes fast enough that it will be better than the interrupt from Lightning.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

And the frostfire sigil is found pretty early and is insanely op.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

And the frostfire sigil is found pretty early and is insanely op.

Frostfire is still broken in implementation when fighting Bane though, but that's like saying you can only shoot lightning bolts out of your eyes on days that aren't Sunday.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just finished the game and maybe I'm a heretic for saying this but I actual enjoyed this game a bit more than Pillars. The combat while still RTwP felt a lot better, probably because I really enjoyed the spell system. I think the story was a more cohesive as well, probably because they didn't need to do as much world building like they did in Pillars. Also every RPG going forward needs to have lore tooltips built into the conversations like they did here, many that was super handy.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I liked it way more than Pillars too. I think one of the things that makes it feel more cohesive as compared to Pillars is actually how little enemy variety there is. Huge double edged sword for gameplay, but a lot of Pillars just felt like filler because I was fighting a giant mushroom man, right after fighting a slime, after fighting undead all in the same sewer. It made it feel artificial, in Tyranny the people you fight almost always are given a reason and motivation for being where they are and for why they're fighting you.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I didn't mind the lack of variety in enemies in Tyranny at all. In fact, I would've gladly seen them do away with the Bane (extremely boring) as well and just have it be strictly humanoids in the game. But aside from that, I really can't stand the combat system in Tyranny. I just think it feels so... stale and boring and "controlled". It's the old per-encounter with cooldowns vs per-rest systems (generalizing here) and I really don't tend to like it when games go for more of the per-encounter stuff. One of my main fears for Deadfire is they're moving slightly in that direction.

The spell creation system was kinda fun though and the combo abilities also worked pretty well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I found Tyranny a lot more accessible, and while combat in both games is nothing to write home about, Tyranny's spell system gave it an edge in that department. And I actually liked that the game itself is relatively short AND rewarded replaying it. I don't even want to consider playing through Pillars a second time, the game is far too long for that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

You don't even have to extort her. If you side with the rebels and have one positive interaction with her after she is happy to teach you. Kyros, but I wish this game was getting a sequel.

Is it?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

As far as I know, Bastard's Wound was the last of the work being done on Tyranny.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Paradox were not sanguine when speaking publicly about the game’s performance, and it didn’t even have much critical cachet that a long-tail game usually garners. So no, I wouldn’t expect a sequel (or as I would call it, “a second half of the game”)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do paradox own the ip, or could obsidian potentionally make Tyranny 2 with someone else or on their own?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I maintain that the game’s failure is largely a matter of its pacing and the structure of its branches (the art design and characterization were also not great but those are less immediately apparent)

Alpha Protocol was well-regarded for its reactivity because it was pretty short / compartmentalized, because it was always moving forward, and because the branching points were pretty clearly signposted.

Tyranny doesn’t really have any of that. It’s actually rather long, with open level design and slack-generating subquests that AP benefited from not having, and it didn’t enjoy the pacing of real-time conversation mechanics. Tellingly, the only part of the game consensus pointed to as good was the prologue, where the big displays of variance from CHYOA didn’t require as much patience from the player, and there was a (largely illusory, but still effective) momentum push via the time limit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Do paradox own the ip, or could obsidian potentionally make Tyranny 2 with someone else or on their own?
Paradox owns the IP.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

This is a bummer, I thought the world building and story telling in Tyranny was pretty decent and fairly unique for a fantasy rpg. Also liked some of the design choices and art style.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
just finished this game as an anarchist. i enjoyed it but after all of Tunon's backstory i was pretty :psyduck: about him becoming my vassal after i became the greatest rule lawyer in terratus

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I posted this on the support forum but got nothing so far, so I will try it here too:

Ive installed this game on my macbook pro (mid 2012, i5 2.5, 4 gb RAM, OSX Sierra 10.2.6) and it does run well, even thought is an old computer. Except for the loading times

Loading any map (or reloading from a save) takes literally minutes. Also, everytime I click at a character ingame, there is a 30-40s freeze, during which the cursor changes to the OSX loading cursor. That happens just the first time I click the character, after that it will open the dialogue screen instantly

Ive read about turning off the internet as a workaround, but it does nothing in my case. Is there any other solution? Ive also read about runing it on SSD, but quite frankly it would be ridiculous if I game like this requires an SSD drive to be playable

Ive quite liked the game, but the minutes long map loading plus the character dialogue freezes makes it barely playable. Apart from that, it seems to run flawlessly so I hope there something I can do.

I also have a linux desktop which is a bit stronger (but no SSD neither), I wonder if I gonna have any better luck running on it?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I run this game without a SSD and don't have those problems at all. No idea, sorry.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

On the othet hand,running this on my integrated card laptop i5 with ssd the game runs smoothly but on an laptop i7 with a nvidia 745 with a regular old 7000 rpm disk it runs like poo poo and stuters all over the place.thank god for streaming.

Edit:disabling vsync and reducing resolution to 1600 seems to kinda solve it? Loading high quality textures shouldnt cause this. Dunno its weird.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 2, 2018

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cmdrk posted:

just finished this game as an anarchist. i enjoyed it but after all of Tunon's backstory i was pretty :psyduck: about him becoming my vassal after i became the greatest rule lawyer in terratus

the thing with Tunon is that without the Law he is nothing
he's not Kyros' Will, he's not Kyros' Conscience, he's Kyros' Law
by understanding the Law better than he does, you render him subservient
Kyros broke his agency, bound his soul when They broke the mask that is no more

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The way Archons get stereotyped into a role and they physically and mentally change to fit it, Tunon IS The Law. Graven Ashe is A Father To His Men and has been morphed by popular opinion to become the biggest, most protective daddy ever. Nerat is The Crazy Psycho Wizard because everyone expects him to be. Sirin is young and unknown so she's basically a normal traumatised teenager.

I haven't finished the game so I could be wrong, but there are two things I've noticed which are unusual compared to pretty much every other fantasy setting:

No deities. There is no mention of any sort of afterlife, higher powers or angels/demons. There's just varying levels of magical ability which peaks with the Archons and Kyros, who in another setting could probably be described as living gods. There might well have been religions at some point, but Kyros would have stamped those out so hard. Still, not even the Tiers had faiths or cults of any sort, nobody mentions it as a historical curiosity, and there are no ancient lost temple ruins. It looks like the world just has people, and the only thing to look up to is dickish sorcerers.

No cavalcade of humanoids and monsters. There's humans, beastwomen and banes, which are less creatures than autonomous clouds of magical garbage. No goblins or dragons or whatever. How many other setting don't have five kinds of elves, short humans and green barbarians who are morally okay to slaughter?

It's weird how such simple omissions from a setting affect it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I enjoy this game, mostly because it's the closest I'll ever get to Conans hyborean age in a party based RPG.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 3, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Torrannor posted:

I found Tyranny a lot more accessible, and while combat in both games is nothing to write home about, Tyranny's spell system gave it an edge in that department. And I actually liked that the game itself is relatively short AND rewarded replaying it. I don't even want to consider playing through Pillars a second time, the game is far too long for that.

The combat in Pillars always felt more fiddly and also more central to the game. The combat in this reminded me of Planescape - where it's just there because of the format of the game and it's not a big part of it. Which I liked!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm hoping for a Tyranny sequel where one of the party members is an Archon because they spread rumors that they're an Archon.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Archon of Loose Tongues :v:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Such a character would be interesting not because they’re an archon but because they’re driven and manipulative enough to make people care about them in large enough quantities to be magically significant.

The game suggests that character Kyros, btw, but we’ll never know.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Kyros actually goes out of his or her way to make sure that people don't spread rumors about him or her to keep the kind of poo poo that happened to Nerat or Ashe from happening. All they know is that Kyros is mighty and unknowable.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Oh my god, Kyros is a trans NB or agender and went through all this trouble to make sure they were never misgendered or dead named ever again and even had magical HRT that strictly enforces their androgyny.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Seems legit.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I need a little help here. Spoilers for Act 2:

I sided with the Scarlet Chorus because the Disfavored were going to destroy the land, which I thought made the conquest rather pointless. For the first Act 2 mission, I decided to help take over Sentinel Stand. I reached the end, but the game won't let me kill the baby to end the Edict. I'm playing as someone who is loyal to Kyros and not being able to end the edict is potentially a deal breaker for me. I mean, that's an option that should always be there. Nerat wants the edict to go on, but I was given chances to betray him over nothing and now that option is gone in a situation where it's most appropriate. It's so basic that I can't believe the quest designer didn't consider it.

I feel like my agency got stripped away and now I'm just being railroaded. I must have missed something, right? Is there anyway I can salvage this or do I have to restart the whole game?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The option to do that for sure existed in my disfavored playthough so I don't know why it wouldn't be there for the chorus.

Do you have the option to rules lawyer the edict away by having the mother renounce the baby's claim? It's not exactly what you want but the result would be the same.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nope, can't do it on chorus path. The game is intentionally designed so that you can't do everything on one run so even if you restart because of it you'll get railroaded into something else - if you just care about ending all edicts though you have to do the disfavored or anarchist paths.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
For the sake of civil discussion, I am holding back my blinding rage and crippling despair over my lost save game that had about 15 hours put into it.

Just to be clear, I only care about ending all the edicts because I'm committed to serving Kyros. Which path will let me best serve Kyros?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

None. Ending spoiler It ends with you getting ready to throw down with Kyros no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
gently caress video games

• Locked thread