Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ceaselessfuture posted:

The number one thing I wanted from PoE was a diverse system where you could make muscle wizards and scholar barbarians and Duelist themed Rogues and shotgun Paladins and a 6 Moon Godlike Chanter Rock Band and they absolutely, completely delivered on that front. If Tyranny has a similarly deep system, I'll probably love it.

Agreed 100% on all counts here. As for the story, I've played a whole bucketload of RPGs, isometric or otherwise, and I thought PoE was good, if a little heavy on the lore dumps, though the theme of 'obsession to the point of madness 'was carried off well. It wasn't just with the antagonist either, everything- from Grieving Mother's personal quest to that quest to recover Wael's property, to the whole of White March- carried those undertones. Also being able to actually roleplay a character (albeit within the confines of a video game) was p. much super-cool too, especially since [dialogue] options sometimes didn't lead to an optimal conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

X_Toad posted:

I think Obsidian has acknowledged all the flaws in the writing and the lore dumps and I hope they will be able to do better next time. I'm not sure right now how I feel about the solution to lore dumps used in Tyranny (highlighted words will open a popup with a small lore exposition) but that shows that they've taken it to heart.

Personally, I honestly think it's the best way to present info quickly, without having to write reams of extra dialogue or to hide it in extraneous menus. Where did you hear they were going to be doing this?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kajeesus posted:

Personally I don't care if games are designed to optimize the skinner boxing of the unwashed rat-grinding hordes, so long as they are designed for hip and happening cool dudes like myself.

Agreed- if someone wants to grind and all that, that's their business. I'm playing Tyranny for other reasons, and quite frankly I for one wouldn't mind how they presented the mechanics as long as the story itself is good, and from what we're seeing so far, that is the case.

Besides, doesn't everyone know about Cheat Engine these days? Who cares if to optimize 'fairly' you'd need to suffer a thousand mudcrab hits- just do a simple CE search at character creation and you're a demigod out the gate.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

khwarezm posted:

I'm... surprised at how negative people are towards PoE itt.

I frickin' loved PoE, especially if you're willing to engage the lore and really dig into the background stuff. I think the reason it feels so flat is because PoE doesn't really do a good job about presenting its information directly to the player; instead, it expects you to read every book and make your own inferences about how the world works. That said, I am also somewhat disappointed with PoE with how constrained it all felt. After the loreposts about the Republic of Valia, about the arboreal dwarves and all that, all we did was explore a fairly standard European fantasy world, though considering how much Obsidian was trying to play it safe what with the company on the verge of dissolution and all, I couldn't really blame them. The White March expansion was much, much better, and I hope that it sets the foundation of things to come.

At the very least, I expect more Vithrack in PoE 2, 'cos surprisingly friendly telekinetic bugmen are awesome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jimbot posted:

Yeah. The game did feel like it was written by a committee - especially with the companions. Durance and Weeping Mother seemed to get a lot of attention. They were pretty tedious to talk to as well.

I'll kind of agree with you on Grieving Mother, but I found Durance to be really cool. Sure, he is a hateful racist for no reason, but that's part of why I like him, and the questline where you reveal to him the truth and/or the extent of his goddess's machinations was very, very satisfying.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

2house2fly posted:

Another way to cut the potential for any future PoE games is if it didn't sell well, which was a real possibility. Why hold back fun stuff for a sequel that never happens. Besides, you can go a million ways after that reveal, which is one thing that kind of bugs me about it- there's no way they can possibly accommodate all the possible responses to that.

Who says they have to? Doesn it even really matter in the grand scheme of things? To speak broadly of the ending for the two or three people who are somehow interested in the thread yet haven't played PoE, one major part of the game's theme was progress and evolution. Now that one or two of the world's most major obstacles to said progress and evolution have been stopped, we might see some actual changes, hopefully starting with a printing press.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jastiger posted:

Eh in PoE it isnt common knowledge about the gods, so picking the game up in another region would be a ok.

And honestly, who'd believe your character, who is at best a minor noble in a global backwater? After all, the Gods still seem to be doing their job at the end of PoE, telling everyone that they're animantic constructs will have everyone thinking you're nuts, especially since the only guy who can confirm it is dead, and the one woman who'd think you were sane is trapped in a huge adra pillar only you can talk to.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There's no harm on playing on Story Mode or cheating via Cheat Engine- you even get a neat little message from the devs if you do the latter!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
And while the gods are sentient AIs beholden to their programming, they have been shown (especially in the White March) to have evolved their programming, if only by a little. If anything, you're more powerful than being a mere 'god' could be, now that you've had insight into how they're programmed. With animancy hopefully on the rise now that Thaos is dead, you might even be able to program them yourself, make some new ones, or just reveal them to be constructs. But if so, so what? As long as they're doing their jobs and rewarding their followers adequately, who really gives a poo poo about where they came from save for fundies?

See, while the ending of PoE isn't as flashy as that of an average game, I think it's more powerful in how it might shape the game world. Sure, you became a God at the end of the Baldur's Gate saga, but so what? You're just one more divine schmuck in a pantheon full of them, while in PoE you've given the entire world a chance to move on beyond the ignorance Thaos forced upon it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Again though, only your character knows that they are created beings (at least for the moment), and you have absolutely no power to influence how other people think about them.

And neother do we know how worship empowers them, or if one even needs to sincerely believe that they are divine or whether whatever rituals their religions practice are all that's needed. If you knew for a fact that all you need to do to ensure Hylea grants you a healthy birth is place some flowers on an altar every three days, why not? Who cares if said goddess is manmade or not?

That being said, I think you overestimate humanity's tendency to bend at the knee, or less flippantly, to believe in something greater than themselves.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

2house2fly posted:

Yeah if you know for a fact that doing X will do something good for you then there's no real reason not to. That's not worshipping though, and if it's guaranteed to happen then the thing doing it might not even have free wil.

It could be a byproduct or at least a subconscious function of the being- I don't have to consciously digest my food to make crap, after all. Hell, it might even self-select for sincerity- if I had a reasonable choice between a three course steak meal and a cheese sandwich with water, I know which I'll take. Similarly, a god might choose to answer a sincere prayer over a 'push butan receive boon' sort, and then even if it was common knowledge that they were animantic constructs, it wouldn't even matter. The sufficiently devout might even explain it away as animancy 'discovering' or 'reviving' old gods, or 'empowering' cosmic concepts that are as deserving of worship as regular divinities. At that point, debates about how divine they are would be left to academics as the common people plod along, content and devout.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Strudel Man posted:

Of course it matters. You can't 'choose' to sincerely believe in something as a god on the basis that it's personally advantageous to do so - self-interested pragmatism is the very opposite of sincere belief.

Which is why the push butan guy wouldn't have his prayers answered, but the desperate guy going 'you're supposed to be a god, right? Help me!' gets his. Second guy then starts preaching exactly what you said- that self-interest kills the god-boons.

See, the thing is that the god can prove their divine power, far greater than the sum of human efforts that created it (at least to the layman's perspective). All it would take to propagate true devout belief are a few rounds of mental gymnastics in its followers, and again, it wouldn't matter:

CommissarMega posted:

The sufficiently devout might even explain it away as animancy 'discovering' or 'reviving' old gods, or 'empowering' cosmic concepts that are as deserving of worship as regular divinities.

Let the scholars in their ivory towers hem and haw over how 'divine' the gods are, we know for sure!

Also, look at modern cults, especially Scientology. That's a created divinity if there ever was one.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It took me some time, but I actually came to like how out of field Ulysses's revelation was, which I think that was the point. Your character was just doing his job, performing a Fedex quest for $$$ and XP without ever examining the what and why of things. If it weren't for the Divide, it would have been forgotten like many quests you may have done in the course of New Vegas, and Ulysses can't stand the idea of something that meant so much to him possibly meaning so little to you. Of course, that is a crazy idea to have, but Ulysses was insane with grief by that point and I can excuse him for that. Lonesome Road's basically a vignette asking you to think more of the choices you make in a game, even if the consequences are nonexistent- to immerse yourself in the game world basically, and not let the choice with more $$$ and XP be the deciding factor in how you play the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I can think of exactly one Resolve 20 situation where a stat check provided an optimal (read: time saving) solution. In all other circumstances all they did was provide alternate dialogue paths, though I suppose you could argue that a stat check that gives extra rep might be a 'win button'. I can't recall any like that off the top of my head though, since I usually play with the stat dialogue interface off.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZearothK posted:

The premise seems promising and I love me some bronze age, and Obsidian made the second best RPG in New Vegas, but I haven't really seen the hooks for this game. It doesn't help that I was disappointed with Pillars.

As people have said, some of the systems seem to be inspired by Alpha Protocol- considering how much impact one's choices made in that game and how they changed things, i can definitely see why there's not a lot of hype as all you'd do then is spoil the story and its many permutations.

Taear posted:

I've pre-ordered as well even though I wasn't a massive fan of the combat in Pillars the rest of the game I enjoyed a lot.

I actually really enjoy Pillars combat, and how all attributes can contribute, though they still haven't really got the hang of making every attribute useful for all classes- Rangers don't really need Intelligence, as far as I can gather, while it's really good on a Barbarian.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will the stream be uploaded anywhere? My Internet's janky at the moment.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Have they said anything about a demo? I might've missed it- all I want to do is play through the character creation, dammit :cry:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I loved Pillars' isometric style, though this might just be my nostalgia talking. That being said, I find the whole Bioware third-person POV makes things hard to navigate (at least for my directionally-challenged rear end), same with first person- if someone tells me to go 'north', I always find myself looking at a compass or a map to get my bearings. With a static map, I can do so easily, and the isometric view also lets me see more details on my character than a top-down view does. Can't say I mind the brown either, but i've never been one for colours anyway. As long as it's not in black and white, I'm cool.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

X_Toad posted:

In the short stories, one character prayed to Kyros and another prayed for Graven Ashe's favour. And in the later's case, it's implied the Archon heard him.

Preview spoiler: Graven Ashe mentions that his power not only gives his troops a measure of protection, he also feels a fraction of the pain they do, which is why he suspects the Scarlet Chorus of messing with his scouts- they were roasted with magic the rebels shouldn't have been able to muster. So yeah, it's entirely possible Graven Ashe would've heard his troops' prayers. Disfavoured 4 lyfe.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pirate Radar posted:

The elves probably turn out to be assholes so it's okay to burn down their women and children and rape their houses.

'Probably'? They're elves.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Masonity posted:

Hopefully we can rebel, gather a mega army together and then when Kyros shows up hand over power, betraying our new army.

Same here- if I don't become the Archon of Deception by game's end I will be very, very annoyed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, the thing about the Chorus is that they're very populist with all that entails. They're the ones most suited (and culpable for) for raping and pillaging, but they also give psychos like Verse a place in society, while also seeming to help to indirectly preserve the peoples and cultures they conquer, or at least those citizens' lives. The Disfavoured on the other hand see things in very black and white, 'you're with us or against us' terms. If there are people who haven't watched the streams but don't mind spoilers, one choice that stuck out in the stream was during an argument between a Disfavoured and a Chorus member regarding a prisoner- the former wanted to kill him for oathbreaking, the latter wanted to recruit him, at least as a slave. What I got from that was that for all the shiny armour and talk of law and order, the Disfavoured might actually be more ruthless than the Chorus. At least the Chorus gives you a choice- the Disfavoured show no mercy.

EDIT: That being said, oathbreaking's oathbreaking, and I look forward to lining the roads with crucified rebels :unsmigghh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Anyone who doesn't respond with Option 3 needs to be put to the question :colbert:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Regular peace is where two or more parties agree to compromise, thereby ceasing hostilities, and easing the way for swords to be turned into plowshares.

Kyros peace actually works :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think the Garrus romance over the three games was well-done, though considering Bioware's other romantic forays, I have my suspicions that Garrus was just a happy accident.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

GOG says 6 days 4 hours, on the dot.

So Friday 3:00am AEDT

And Thursday 9am PST

2AM on a Friday for me, gently caress.

Rascyc posted:

How I play the game is going to be decided by election results.

Disfavoured = Hillary Clinton
Rebels = That chucklefuck in charge of the Libertarians.
Scarlet Chorus = Trump

:v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, the stream showed Lore, Subterfuge, Athletics and a whole bunch of other skills used regularly in conversations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's a good thing Tyranny is coming out soon. Considering the US election results, it might be a training sim :(

Seriously though, it can't release fully soon enough.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drifter posted:

All hail Kyros.

Kyros is competent, though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That being said though, a post-post-apocalyptic world would be perfect for that community-building game people are talking about. i found those bits to be the most fun in Fallout 4, I have to admit, and I certainly hated the fact that if I wanted to properly roleplay my character (at least insofar as Fallout 4 let me) I had to forgo most of it. Seriously, being thawed and having to take on the mantle and leadership of a long-lost peacekeeping order in a ruined world gone mad is an amazing concept- why did Bethesda have to ruin it with a baby?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basic Chunnel posted:

For a studio all about players defining their characters they went in a weird direction with the character biography having a very strong character voice.

Eh, with PoE's background meaning very little, I have to say i prefer Tyranny's approach.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do the 'Imbue the Elements' Talents (the ones that add elemental damage to weapon attacks) also affect unarmed combat?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
All right, I'm stumped, how do I get inside the Spire at Lethian's Crossing?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sheep posted:

:siren: This should be added to the OP :siren:
Skip Lethian's Crossing in Act 2 until you have done the other branch of quests. You cannot get in the spire until you've gone elsewhere.

Cool, thanks! I actually managed to get the spire but that damned locked door was stumping me :downs:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Javelins: Best weapon, or bestest weapon?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does armor recovery affect spell recovery? Or is it just a matter of Quickness?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Is it possible to get the rebels to submit to Kyros? I can't care less about those oathbreakers, I just want to rub The Voices' and Graven Ashe's failure in their dumb faces.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do the Brawler's (+unarmed damage) actually, well, add unarmed damage? I've equipped some very nice gloves, but I don't see any change in my damage readout in the equipment screen.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dolash posted:

Ahahahaha Obsidian I was going to be so mad with you during the end of the Bladegrave campaign.

Ahaha, me too! It's so fitting for a servant of Tunon as well, it's so cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kulkasha posted:

A grand strategy game where you play as KYROS

:circlefap: Welp, there goes my Christmas wishlist, and I'm not even Christian!

• Locked thread