Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, what are the routes in this game? Chorus, Disfavored and Rebel I know of, but I've heard there's basically a neutral route where you remain loyal to Kyros and basically take command of the Conquest yourself?

I can't wait until this game gets some proper walkthroughs. And bugfixes, because drat, this pathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also, the lack of a natural heavy armor-using party member suuuuuucks

All this cool heavy armor, including a bunch of artifacts, and since I'm playing as a pure mage, nothing to do with it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dolash posted:

I actually found myself wishing we could make our own party members like in Pillars of Eternity. Have Tunon let us buy up some trainee Fatebinders to fill out our investigation squad, which would also free up the writers to make the faction-specific companions harder to keep if you go against them without robbing the player of their only armored tank or healer. Besides, it feels a little more budding-Overlord-ish to have your own minions.
I mean this makes sense in theory but I prefer actual NPCs because I like the conversation

Also what do you mean by "only healer", every caster except for me has Surge of Glory and Healing Touch

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

As a complete cRPG neophyte am I going to have a Bad Time if I try to make a caster nerd for my character
No, it's perfectly feasible

Be prepared to sell every piece of heavy armor you ever come across though, unless you decide to give it to maybe Verse to make her a little more sturdy as a two-handed fighter or something

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that there's a way to resolve all 3 edicts in each of the four routes, and we just don't know the routing for it yet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe it's explained later...but why is Kyros "evil?" If anything this game just seems like i'm working for the Roman Empire. He's a conquering force but aside from that doesn't seem "Evil" in any traditional sense of the word. Am I missing something?
The Roman Empire was a chill place to live in if you were a high-born Roman but probably seemed pretty loving evil to all the nations it subjugated and all the low-born slaves that lived in it

And the Roman Empire didn't even have hideously powerful magic that could level entire countrysides and genocide entire cultures, they had to do that the slow way

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, what's the general opinion on the game now that it's been out for a bit?
It has one of the best opening acts of any RPGs I've ever played. You're thrown right into the poo poo, forced to untangle mysteries, lore is thrown at you at a mile a minute, your choices feel like they have impact, and at the end you are forced to make the most important choice in the entire game.

The second act is the meat of the game, is more "traditional" in terms of being a CRPG with a number of dungeon crawls and lots of fighting, you meet the rest of your party, but it also feels thinner to me: there aren't as many great set pieces as there are in Act 1, and though you can make choices they are only of marginal impact at this point. There are a few areas that definitely could have used some more fleshing out. Looking at you, Bastard City.

The consensus of the last act is that it feels rushed and pretty sequel hooky, and desperately is in need of a big closing set piece that it didn't really get.

It's worth playing just for how good the first act is and how good some of the character and lore writing is in general.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is it possible to finish Act 3 without any combat? It seems that no matter what you do, you always have to fight Bleden Mark.
From what I've heard, regardless of Favor or Wrath the only way you can avert this is if you're on the Independent route.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah but Jack is all tortured soul about it and Verse just revels in it and is generally havin' a good old time.
Also, and I think this is the most important part, Verse doesn't show up wearing a preposterous lack of clothing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

E: Actually, I will add something else though really minor. I find it a bit weird how if you overthrow the Voices on the Chorus path, the ending slides has the Chorus falling apart due to a lack of strong leader. Is there a reason my main character couldn't just take over the Voices' position? Or hell, Verse seems like she'd do a pretty good job at it, she sure does well with her own newly-formed fighting group. This is pretty minor, but it seems kinda weird when I'm at a full 5 favor with the Chorus and even in the fight with the Voices there's a throwaway line where he tries to taunt that the Chorus would never follow me and then seems to realize they totally would.
This can happen but only if you feed one of your companions to the Voices, one mentally strong enough to take the Voices over from within and lead the Chorus for you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Only the Archons have met Kyros personally. Sirin switches between he and she interchangably, possibly to gently caress with you or possibly because gender is meaningless for Kyros. Tunon refers to Kyros as she and doesn't like to be pressed on it.

Really, Kyros' gender is 'Overlord' and that's that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

wiegieman posted:

Sirin is loving with you, because she's 15.
Oh, she's absolutely loving with you in that scene, the question is whether what she said is indicative of anything regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Let's do something constructive for once and talk about companion skill trees. What skill trees have you brought your party members down so far? What do you think is optimal? How did you equip them?

I did a ranged Verse and a sword and board Berik, Lantry mostly went down the Sage path, Eb focused on Gravelight, Sirin was a War singer, and Kills in Shadow did the unarmed skill tree side. I'm only 100% confident in my picks for Lantry to be honest, and think overfocusing on a tanky Berik was a huge mistake, while I'm concerned I might have screwed up Verse, Eb and Kills In Shadow too. Sirin can probably legit go either way? War is probably more efficient though.

• Locked thread