Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Show us your garage! Whether it be a fifty thousand dollar palace kitted out by SnapOn or a tatty lean-to on a dirt lot kitted out by dumpster diving and Aldi special buys lets see them. Don't be ashamed, ask for advice, brag about something, show us what junk you're working on or what junk is stopping you working on something.

I'm sure there'll be a little overlap with general chat and the tool threads but I don't intend to usurp either of those.

I'll start, this is the first house I've ever owned with a garage. Gone are the days of working under my car on a sloping broken slabbed drive or in the road, hoping a passing bus doesn't knock the car off the jackstands and crush me, now I have the luxury of doing all that in front of a garage full of non-AI poo poo, tantalisingly close to being useful; :v:

Here's what it looked like the day I moved in, almost a year ago. Mmm, space. About 9'x21' I think? Power - 2 double sockets, a light.

I swiftly filled it with poo poo, so I built some shelves, this took a couple of days.

Then I built a workbench, this took like 4 hours max:

As of today, I wired up the lights on the side this evening:

And it's still full of poo poo.

Could I fit a car in? Theoretically yes. Likelihood, zero. I need to build a shed & get the garden tools out, then sell/junk some old baby stuff, then get some more bookcases, that'll free up literally 2/3rds of the space. Hey at least I know where all my tools are, even if I have to go digging to actually reach them.

Jobs to do in here: more sockets, more lights, make space then build a gokart for my kid. Thinking about building a carport on the side so the gravel area is undercover too.

Now show me yours. :forkbomb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gonna be a lot of garage envy in this thread myself included :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got what is technically a 2 car garage, that i had at one point stuffed 2 cars and a truck into.

50 weeks out of the year, it's a horrible mess, but those other 2 weeks, it's wonderful. It would probably be a ton of space to work in if i didn't have ridiculously large vehicles, but it's really a pain in the rear end to work on one with another one in there. I don't like leaving the lincoln outside, so when something else has to spend some time in there, i can usually snug it up against a wall pretty good. These pics are a little outdated, but with regular size cars, there's quite a bit of room.

Things you should immediately put in your garage if you don't already have: A computer, a printer, a stereo, and a whiteboard.

And can't forget the most important bit.

Plans include more lights, even more lights, and hopefully at some point a lift.

Now we wait for slung blade to come in and make us all jealous.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good point, I have an excuse for a stereo and a whiteboard but no computer - perhaps my old laptop needs an SSD and win10 and dragging in here.

I have no art :(

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
So the day I bought my first house-where I currently live-I had quite the surprise in the garage. The Realtor was supposed to have it removed, but clearly she didn't.

After getting the garage cleaned out, I spent some time cleaning it, acid washed the floor and pressure washed it.

I did that so I could coat the floor with epoxy. I bought this from LegacyCoatings.com and used their textured pellets for additional traction.

I spent a little time painting and scraping the popcorn off the ceiling. I also added attic access on this side of the house.

Doors painted and hung properly.

What is a garage without some proper storage?

About thirty minutes after it was assembled, it looked more like this.

I painted the bottom half of my tool box to match the garage. The previous space that I was using had limited storage and this was a great way for me to throw all of my car parts in one place.

After a year living here, it has gotten a bit cramped.

I bought the Rubbermaid Fast Track from Home Depot. The hooks on it are significantly cheaper buying direct from rubbermaid.com.

I don't remember why I took this photo, but it does show my whiteboard and marker tray.

So this is my garage in it's entirety. It's not the best. It's not finished. It is mine though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So this is my shed.

Its 9.1M long, 6.2M wide, has 3.3m walls and is 4.09M tall. Not as big as sung blades, but certainly the biggest in my estate.

Single 5m wide roller door, because trying to work on a car thats not centered in the workshop because you have a pillar or side sliding doors is a pain in the dick.

30,000 lumens worth of LED lighting- I dont have ANY shadows at all except directly underneath a vehicle from this, its awesome.

Got a stack of cypress pine boards from work that were salvaged off a foot bridge that was getting upgraded to one of the new recycled plastic ones with the built in grit because it got slippery, so instead of cutting them up for firewood, I built a work bench!

More than big enough for the landcruiser and the better halfs tiida, with a 3x6m workshop area at the back!

And rudimentary tool storage, with half the tools in a bag after spending the entire day yesterday at a mates house installing a cargo barrier.

Theres still a HEAP of work left to do on this- I've got to get a slab poured (125mm thick) but ive got problems with my neighbours property dumping water onto my land so ive got moisture problems that are going to cause issues with concrete setting, so that might have to wait until spring to happen, there's also a mezzanine floor going in above the workshop with a 2.4m ceiling above the workshop and more LED lights inside the shop end, but that has to wait for the slab,

The entire shed is getting insulated and lined, but again, has to wait for the slab to go down.

Todays tasks (cos its sunday) is to go get a stack of rope and pulleys and other poo poo and build myself a pair of pulley systems that I can use with a boat winch to lift my roof racks on and off the car, since I'll need to swap to the roof top tent soon to go camping, and i'd rather not have to do that with the tractor AGAIN. And also buy a vice. Because im sick of not having a vice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Good point, I have an excuse for a stereo and a whiteboard but no computer - perhaps my old laptop needs an SSD and win10 and dragging in here.

I have no art :(

Mine is a 6 year old super X-treme rad gaming notebook that only goes 11 minutes on a charge. You can get them on craigslist for $100-200 because they suck at everything except sitting on a shelf playing music and web browsing. It's 10 times easier to print off a picture and get it greasy as gently caress rolling around on the floor than it is to fumble around pulling your gloves on and off to gently caress with a phone.

The art is a legit metal sign that i got on clearance for $6 from a parts store that normally only carries buck huntin bone collector corvette parking ford pissin on a chevy type stuff. I tried finding more, but they didn't have any. They had 2 of these and i should have bought em both but i'm dumb.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I just bought a garage with a house attached to it this month. Get the keys next Monday, but I've started stockpiling wood and storage and already have a ton of tools in my storage shed at the house I'm renting. A not small reason I bought the house was the garage. It's was about the largest we could afford and seems to be well taken care of. Going to need some more lighting and I'll be gutting the workbench area as soon as I'm not dogshit poor.

(None of this poo poo is mine, It will be gone when I move in)

Back of garage is split into a laundry area and work bench area. My plan is to run a workbench all along the backside of the garage. with storage where the workbench now currently sits.

Got a Knaak 139 off a job site for free. 60cuft of lockable storage:

Will be taking the wheels off and bolting it to the floor. Should hold most of my power tools.

This week I'll be shopping around for a cheap amp and speakers, also hopefully snag an old T550 from a coworker.

Hope to see a lot more pictures from you folks with more fleshed out ideas and spaces. Good thread.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Bought a place in December. It has a small one-car garage, but also has a workshop in the backyard, so woodworking / construction stuff is going there leaving just car & bike stuff to the garage.

It's small, though, only about 18' x 12' . Right now I only have my truck which lives in the driveway, but eventually I'm going to want to add a fun car. I think needing to also keep a motorcycle in there means I'm restricted to the Miata / MR2 size class if I want to actually be able to take the motorcycle out without moving the car.

Plans are just to run one of those power outlets with USB to the left-hand wall, put together a nice motorcycle gear hanger setup (using the Aerostich hanger,) and replace the lighting with a few banks of LED lights. Maybe some RaceDeck flooring and paint down the road...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

leica posted:

Gonna be a lot of garage envy in this thread myself included :v:

I've already been thoroughly outclassed :haw:

Mcqueen posted:

That's outstanding. I need to build something for my tools that are currently haphazardly piled under the bench.

I like the epoxy floor th vwls hv scpd. Has anyone got floor recommendations (I'm in the UK)? I've currently got raw concrete and some grotty children's foam interlocking mats that were going spare.

I wired up an extra double socket by the door this morning, remember that big white shape at the front? It's an experiment to build a new body for my camping trailer out of foam and painted cloth. It's about half finished and taking up space so I dropped it on the trailer chassis and tarped it up. Instantly more space.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I went to visit my father on his farm and in his shed he gave me some advice!

Well, A Dawn Vice!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Car port owner checking in here. Currently I keep my tools in an outdoor garden box. Does anyone have a better car port solution? I'm afraid traditional tool drawers will let too much water in and rust my tools.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
Thanks Cakefool. I probably could have done a better prep job. The concrete here was about 45 years old when I put down the epoxy. I have two spots that bubbled up in the last couple of months. It doesn't look like it adhered to the concrete at all. Otherwise, I'm super happy with it.

th vwls hv scpd fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 26, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My "2.5 car" garage that is generally just used for storage but I usually have one spot I can easily roll in and out for working on poo poo. Looking at possibly adding ac/heat to it this summer. Want to add a 2-post lift for storage and wrenching but 9'6" ceilings are holding me back since I would just barely be able to stack things. Half bath (door on partial wall) is completely pointless and used for parts storage, home gym will move inside if my brother ever gets his poo poo out of the spare bedroom.

It's been organized a little bit more since that picture but not much. Still kind of a disaster.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine is always a mess. There are no doors on the bays so birds and bees get in all the time and gently caress poo poo up. We had free range hens that loved to roost and poo poo all over my tool box and garage floor. They are no longer free range. The garage itself is 4 bays, 2 have concrete and 2 are dirt but tall. I would like to eventually put concrete on the tall side, garage doors and a 2 post lift in.

And one of the whole property. The shed on the left is empty, it only has a single door for access and the concrete inside is slopes to a drain. I haven't decided what to do with it yet.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's beautiful country. Nice spot.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Mine is entirely too crowded but I keep it just organized enough for two cars. The problem of course, is that I own three cars.

Basically whichever car is being worked on goes on the left. The shelves on the right are packed with spare parts, and then I just tuck the car tight against them to maximize working space.

Built a mezzanine to help with storage, it's very useful. Adds about 60 square feet of floor space, 2 feet high. Took me and a friend about 2 hours to construct this with materials costing about $50. I highly recommend it.

Art!

My mom passed away last christmas, and we've been cleaning out Dad's basement as a result. Back in the 80's my dad tried his hand at the arcade business. Mom hand painted these signs which hung outside the door and none of us could bring ourselves to throw them out. So I decided I'd give them a home on my garage wall. But as soon as I got them home my daughter claimed them for mounting in her bedroom. *snif*.

I've had to get creative to keep 2 cars in here, I have our bikes suspended like this (unfortunately we don't ride much) so the cars can still be jacked up without hitting them.

I've actually toyed around with cutting a hole in the ceiling so the windshield of my convertible can be tucked up into it on a 4 post lift (the trusses go left to right on 24 inch centers) which would leave just enough space to park my wagon under it. Would make dealing with Colorado winters that much better. That was on the to do list until I lost my job last fall, as was better lighting, more tools, new workbenches, etc. Actually I can still do the workbenches because that takes just a few bucks worth of lumber and materials, but it's now too hot to work in there during the day and I can't run power tools at night. One of these days it'll happen though. Especially because the under-bench storage will dramatically improve once I get rid of those cinder blocks and that crappy desk with the brace under it.

I'm still really happy with the amount of work I get done in here as well. Not as much as some of you, but more than others. Just enough.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 27, 2016

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bloody Queef posted:

Car port owner checking in here. Currently I keep my tools in an outdoor garden box. Does anyone have a better car port solution? I'm afraid traditional tool drawers will let too much water in and rust my tools.

This is exactly what you need for outdoor storage:

Mcqueen posted:

I will have to take pictures of my garage/shop. Currently full of all my stepdads tools that need to be slowly moved/sold.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Big fan of Costco? That's all I can see.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

No, it's quite clearly a toyota service bay.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

Raluek posted:

The did a sale on shelving and storage containers last year. The tubs were something like $3/each and I got the silver shelf for $60. I'm a fan of inexpensive storage options. The fact Costco is two miles from here and between my house and work just makes it super convenient.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seems like this would be a decent place to ask. I'm trying to figure out if this lift installation idea would be a complete pain in the rear end. This is what I have been thinking about for a while and seems like one of the better options at the moment for fitting too many cars in too little space. The cars on the the lift side aren't driven frequently so getting them out quickly. I installed a high lift garage door last fall to get as much clearance as possible. The other option would be in front of the garage door to the house when I move the home gym.

A four post lift would be better for storing but with the added height from the ramps I wouldn't be able to stack the cars. Stupid normal height ceilings :argh:

For reference this is how things were parked over the winter

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You only seem to gain foot traffic space so if that's worth it to you go for it. Unless there's another option like raising the roof or extending out in some other direction, I don't know how much you're spending on a lift.

Remember those sockets I added? Yup, blew up. When I added the spur I accidentally flicked a scrap of copper into the original socket, when I plugged something in it sorted earth to live. Whoops. Fixed now.

Next up is I need 2 more lights inside, currently I've a single 5ft tube. UK suggestions?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
oh hey there.

20x20 jam loving packed with 40 years of crap. started slowly going through it all about 6 weeks ago? will take some update photos tonight or tomorrow.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

go3 posted:

20x20 jam loving packed with 40 years of crap. started slowly going through it all about 6 weeks ago? will take some update photos tonight or tomorrow.

Find anything cool yet? That's quite the project to get that cleared out.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Ive got a 27 ft fiberglass extension ladder I need to keep inside, and was wondering if anyone had a good pulley system to lift it up. Its probably 16 ft when collasped, and too heavy for me to lift onto something high by myself. It will fit in the garage if I tuck it right next to the door tracks, but I don't know how to get it up there on my own.

I almost bought $20 worth of bike hanging pulleys, but they didn't seem like they would be strong enough (rated for 50#).

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.
http://toolmonger.com/2012/06/13/ceiling-storage-racor-ladder-lift/

I see these for sale. It looks like it would probably work well if you have the ceiling space for it.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
My car house is shared with with parents but I have my own bay in the back. It's pretty sweet.

Brief photographic history of the garage:

The garage replaced the barn my folks got when they purchased their house back in '05 - '06

My dad estimated how much space he would need and tripled it. This decision has turned out to be a very good one.

It quickly filled up with poo poo that had been removed from the barn before it was torn down. It took us about 2 years to get rid of all the junk.

The storage rack I had originally bought to put into a shelter logic tent made a great parts storage rack in the garage.

Dad found a cheap plywood ceiling for a song and dance.

Shop computer's monitors were doubled and I quickly ran out of workspace.

Yesterday, I moved the rack to the other side to accommodate increasing the workbench area and the pegboard.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Wahoo! A garage thread!

Cool resources:
1) Garage Journal- If you've ever wondered what a bunch of 50yr old guys jerkin it to each others garages, tools, and storage methods- you're in luck!
https://www.garagejournal.com

Commodore_64 and myself built a 30x48x14' on our parents farm to address our automotive, machining, fabrication, and wood working lust. Like most our projects, we did everything we could ourselves. And it's still 60% complete! Which I guess is good enough for us, haha. You can check out my thread for the build, but here's the almost-finished project.

Since the outside was mostly complete, we went ahead and added a 8' divider wall between the wood and metal bays. This allowed us to also loft above them, giving us an additional 30'x24' for heavy storage. In front of the auto bays, there's a 24'x8' loft connected to the large loft above the wood and metal bays for additional heavy storage.

Above the two auto bays has the space between the trusses lofted, providing another 24'x16' for light weight storage.

At some point I found a old man selling HDO plywood for $16/sheet and decided to insulate and sheath the walls. Because who doesn't want 1/2 plywood walls?

These are the best shop lights by far. I have no idea if Costco still carries them.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 28, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I was wondering when you'd show up. I wish I had the land and money to put something like that together.

Don't really have any pictures of my garage but I'll try to get some this week and make a post in here. Always nice to see other people's setups for ideas and poo poo.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Gotta make the most with what ya got, right? I can drive my truck through the garage with only having to move my welder and my 8 gallon air compressor out of the back. The MaxJax lift gets rolled out to the center of that rear "driveway". Dumb luck that I could fit my tool box in that alcove at the back and fit an industrial shelving unit on top of it. At the very top of the first pic above the door is a skinny wire shelf I can fit 4 tires on. Out of frame to the left is shelving up to the ceiling above the washer and dryer. Above my head are 2 4'x4' racks hanging from the ceiling. The right side is covered front to back with Kobalt "K" rails with various hooks and poo poo. This will soon be the setting for a Miata based project car.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 29, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

One day it looked like this

But mostly it looks like this

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bought a house just over a year ago and with it came an oversized one car garage. It's not the roomiest, but I make it work.

Here it is on move in day with my old MS3.

And also the old Miata for scale. It's pretty deep which is nice

Brought my old SV over and added some basic shelving

Due to limited floor space I wanted to put some more shelving up on the walls, so I threw up some standards and brackets and have been adding onto that as needed.

Here's how it sits today. I also installed three of those CostCo LED fixtures which are just awesome. Plenty of room to store the C5 and Striple. Not really roomy enough to do more than basic work like oil changes, but its still really nice having a space to store the tools and toys in.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Built my garage a couple of years ago. Haven't had time to use it that much yet :(

I need to tidy it and finish the car off!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So jealous of you lot. My parent's old house never had a garage, and the current unit I am renting in is a single car garage with just enough room for me to park my old Falcon ute in. I have to keep it relatively clutter free, as the garage is the only way you can get the lawn mower to the back lawn.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Since 1989.

opengl128 posted:

Due to limited floor space I wanted to put some more shelving up on the walls, so I threw up some standards and brackets and have been adding onto that as needed.

I really like that shelving. I also thought that garage was huge u til you parked a Corvette in it. I forget how big those things actually are.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I really like that shelving. I also thought that garage was huge u til you parked a Corvette in it. I forget how big those things actually are.

It definitely swallows up the garage, but there's a good 2-3 feet behind it so I can open he door without hitting my bike. I think the Miata is tucked all the way against the back wall to give you an idea of how deep it is.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Anyone have a good lead on garage shelving and workbench plans or ideas? I'm going to demo out the poo poo show that currently takes up space in my garage and could use ideas.

Does costco still sell the baller led shop lights for cheap?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The bench I posted in the first post is pretty drat solid and foolproof, it uses 1 8x4 sheet of your choice, the bottom shelf is 8" thinner and shorter than the top because of the 2x4 frame and legs. I used 3/4" ply, you could use OSB. I'd recommend topping it with 1/2" or 1/4" mdf as a sacrificial layer.

Top is 96"x28", bottom shelf is 88"x20". Build a 2x4 frame to fit under each, butt joints and screws is fine. Decide on the height you want, minus the top thickness. Build 4 legs that height (2x4 and 2x6 if you want them to look even, 2x4 & 2x4 if you don't care). Legs go inside the top, outside the bottom shelf. More screws. Done. Beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I did my shelves like this http://www.ana-white.com/2016/01/free_plans/easy-and-fast-diy-garage-or-basement-shelving-tote-storage

2x4's and 3/4 plywood. You could use OSB. 8' long, 16" deep, had Home Depot rip the plywood. It's pretty simple. Very few cuts. Screw the 2x4s into the wall.

Made the workbench the same way.

• Locked thread