Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In Independence Day, we win the day by suicide bombing the alien ship.

In Independence Day 2, we win the day by suicide bombing the queen's ship, then a coalition of alien planets put us in charge to teach them our suicide bombing ways. Roland Emmerich is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ruddiger posted:

In Independence Day 2, we win the day by suicide bombing the queen's ship, then a coalition of alien planets put us in charge to teach them our suicide bombing ways. Roland Emmerich is pretty awesome.

And at the end we teach the aliens about religion and end up spreading religion throughout the galaxy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

took some cues from mass effect

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mange Mite posted:

And at the end we teach the aliens about religion and end up spreading religion throughout the galaxy

In Spaceballs, when Lonestar asks Barf to give him a reading, Barf starts reciting the Lord's Prayer which implies either

a. Barf's people adopted Christianity on their own or

b. Space Crusades brought Christianity to his people by the sword.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
BREAKING NEWS THE KING (prince) OF JORDAN HAD A CAMEO ON STAR TREK (the worst) VOYAGER

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
star trek gives us planets of displaced native american indians to persecute but can't manage even a single palestinian colony

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
star wars idea of multiculturism is aliens based on terrible stereotypes

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Palestinians aren't a thing, its like saying "Northern Louisiana" is some sort of distinct nation.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

In Spaceballs, when Lonestar asks Barf to give him a reading, Barf starts reciting the Lord's Prayer which implies either

a. Barf's people adopted Christianity on their own or

b. Space Crusades brought Christianity to his people by the sword.

makes you think

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
When scifi wants to show how progressive it is it'll have a variety of ethnic minorities accepted by the white majority, but the assumption that most people are white in some faraway galactic space future doesn't really make any particular sense

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Elukka posted:

When scifi wants to show how progressive it is it'll have a variety of ethnic minorities accepted by the white majority, but the assumption that most people are white in some faraway galactic space future doesn't really make any particular sense

star trek had a chinese guy, what more do you want

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There were probably a poo poo load of Chinese people on the enterprise, but they probably spend their entire time in front of their computer either working or playing Starcraft.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

the Federation let Puerto Rico in?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dr. Bashir is supposed to be Indian, they just cast an Arab guy 'cause casting directors think all brown people look the same

That's like saying that Sci-Fi doesn't include Jamaicans or Chileans. Pick your battles. If you have white people, black people, orientals/latino/aboriginal, and middle eastern, you can safely say you've covered them all.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

DOMDOM posted:

dune is closer to a fever dream than it is decent future sci fi

oh no you did not just say that

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
the name "khan noonien singh" sounds nice and ambiguously brown now that i think about it

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

i dont get why 1984 has a rep for predicting anything its so much removed from reality that its easy to read it and disregard it as fantasy

brave new world struck me as much more like the world is now than 1984 was

i didnt know until googling just now that 1984 was written like 20 years later. i thought it was the opposite. drat.

Equilibrium was an even more accurate representation of the future, what with all the constant drug use and gun violence.

Seriously though I do agree that Huxley was closer than Orwell in terms of how things turned out.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
There are no Arabs in sci-fi because the peoples of Carthage, Persia, Byzantium and Egypt rise up to take their homes back and destroy all traces of the Islamic Jihad having ever happened, leading to the era of peace and enlightenment in which we discover warp drive, obviously.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

captain nemo you miserable pieces of poo poo jaysus chrrrristt

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

oh GODDAMNIT hes indian fuckk

cnut
May 3, 2016

Well, they do worship a Moon god :shrug:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bashir was a hodge-podge of smart people DNA, so he's not Arab, mostly Asian.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They were all killed in 80s action movies.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

EngineerSean posted:

Tali was basically from a race of space Muslims.

i thought the quarians were supposed to be like exiled space jews, they had real hebrew sounding names and there was a lot of talk about the promised land and jewish poo poo like that

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 27, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TheIllestVillain posted:

i thought the quarians were supposed to be like exiled space jews, they had real hebrew sounding names and there was a lot of talk about the promised land and jewish poo poo like that
They're pretty much space gypsies living in a space caravan and constantly blamed for petty crimes in gadjo society, hope that helps.

(Although whether the real gypsies left north India due to a robot uprising they created by murdering sentient synthetic life is an open question, historically)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Which direction would you pray if you were in another galaxy? Or in a black hole library pocket universe like in the film inception

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
When on board a spaceship nearing speed of light, do you perform the 5 prayers according to ship time or to earth time?? Because if you stick to earth time you'd have to move pretty quick to get the prayers in... multiple prayers per minute! Also after returning from a voyage of a few years subjective time but centuries have passed... would you need to perform all the prayers and fasts that you missed while near light speed???????? What does the prophet have to say on this

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

8 track betamax posted:

When on board a spaceship nearing speed of light, do you perform the 5 prayers according to ship time or to earth time?? Because if you stick to earth time you'd have to move pretty quick to get the prayers in... multiple prayers per minute! Also after returning from a voyage of a few years subjective time but centuries have passed... would you need to perform all the prayers and fasts that you missed while near light speed???????? What does the prophet have to say on this

Trust in Allah, but tie up you camel.
-the Prophet

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

8 track betamax posted:

Which direction would you pray if you were in another galaxy? Or in a black hole library pocket universe like in the film inception
Luckily the good folks at the Malaysian Fatwa Council produced a document for astronauts on the ISS which one can assume is mainly applicable in any galaxy.

https://makkah.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/a_guideline_ibadah_at_iss.pdf

If you know where the Ka'aba is, point there.
If not there, then Earth.
If not Earth, then anywhere you like.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jBrereton posted:

Luckily the good folks at the Malaysian Fatwa Council produced a document for astronauts on the ISS which one can assume is mainly applicable in any galaxy.

https://makkah.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/a_guideline_ibadah_at_iss.pdf

If you know where the Ka'aba is, point there.
If not there, then Earth.
If not Earth, then anywhere you like.

Thank god. I was really worried about this. Good job Malaysian Fatwa Council...now tell me what stocks to invest in please.

e: I just read that thing and holy gently caress are those people loving mental.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

spud posted:

Thank god. I was really worried about this. Good job Malaysian Fatwa Council...now tell me what stocks to invest in please.

e: I just read that thing and holy gently caress are those people loving mental.

eh, the worst thing is still that their prophet was a pedophile

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/12065912/E-cigarettes-forbidden-in-Islam-says-Fatwa-Council.html

At least they are against vaping.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

and emos:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/05/iran-bans-devil-worshipping-homosexual-hairstyles

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DOMDOM posted:

while wathcing halo 4 : forward unto dawn today i came to an incredible realization

there are no arabs in any future sci fi movie. nor indians. or pakistanis. malayasians. etc

what the gently caress? is the future racist?

or have we all interbred into a singular human tan color

the answer may surprise you!

Hollywood hates people of color.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

“Homosexual” and “devil worshipping” hairstyles have been banned in Iran, alongside tattoos, sunbed treatments and plucked eyebrows for men, which are all deemed un-Islamic.

The move – aimed at spiky cuts – follows a trend where, each summer, Iranian authorities get tough on men and women sporting clothing or hairdos seen as imitations of western lifestyles.

In 2010, Iran banned ponytails, mullets and long, gelled hair for men, but allowed 1980s-style floppy fringes or quiffs.

Good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I said come in! posted:

Hollywood hates people of color.

Actually hollywood specifically hates arabs

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost