Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Welcome! To Metal Gear July 2: Snake’s Revenge. It’s that time of year again, the month-long celebration of the greatest series in all of gaming. There’s no time like the present to try these games out if you’ve never given them a shot, and there’s no time like the present to play through them for the 14th time.

Last year’s thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727711

The Series

The Core Chronology
Metal Gear – MSX, 1987
Metal Gear 2 – MSX2, 1990
Metal Gear Solid – PSX, 1998
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty – PS2, 2001
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater – PS2, 2004
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots – PS3, 2008
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker – PSP, 2010
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – PS3/360/PC, 2013
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes – PS3/PS4/360/ONE/PC, 2014
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain – PS3/PS4/360/ONE/PC, 2015

If you’re looking to see what the big deal with Metal Gear is, these are the games that most people are talking about. Metal Gear 1/2 are classical difficult action games from the early era of Japanese PC games, defining the realm of “stealth” games due to limitations on the number of bullets that could be rendered at once; this forced developers to change the style of the game to one of avoidance rather than confrontation. The Solid continuation is the story and gameplay brought into the 3D realm and every entry is a unique and fascinating game that you could play over and over again. The best option for newbies is picking up the Metal Gear Legacy Collection for PS3, which contains copies of every game up to Revengeance.

This time last year we were all breathlessly waiting for the release of MGSV, but now we know it’s an undeniable classic and a massive, massive game, even with its weirdly crippled release and sadly light finale. I will be playing everything from MGS1 through V, although this year I’m going to try and challenge myself a little. For MGS1,2,3,4 I’m going to do the unthinkable and skip all the cutscenes so I can see how quickly I can beat the games. For Peace Walker I’m going to try an All Banana playthrough, and for V I’ve been playing through every mission in Subsistence mode (only OSP, no allies). Share your scores and styles!!

The Side Projects
Snake’s Revenge – NES, 1990
An off-brand sequel to Metal Gear developed exclusively for the North American market. Was released without the original team’s awareness; the creation of the official Metal Gear 2 was a response to the poor quality of this game.

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel – GBC, 2000
A portable version of Metal Gear that plays closer to the MSX original. Takes place in an alternate timeline set seven years before the original MSX game.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes – GCN, 2004
A remake of MGS1 in the MGS2 engine. Many of the boss designs weren’t revisited when porting to the MGS2 engine and the addition of first person aiming generally breaks a lot of the encounters, but the new cutscenes look ridiculous and it’s probably worth a play.

Metal Gear Ac!d – PSP, 2004
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 – PSP, 2005
This is a trading card game based on Metal Gear characters I guess. I don’t know anything about it.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops – PSP, 2006
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops+ - PSP, 2007
The first attempt at a handheld Metal Gear in the style of the 3D entries. Successful in its time but the gameplay was improved upon in almost every capacity with the release of Peace Walker and the story is non-canon, so can be safely skipped.

Metal Gear Solid Touch – iOS, 2009
A light gun game with Old Snake murking in the desert while you tap the screen to kill people.

Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops – iOS/Anroid, 2012
I don’t know anything about this other than that it’s a Japan only F2P mobile game with Social in the title so its probably really, really well made and fun to play.

Metal Gear Online
Some of the later entries heavily featured an online component. Notably, the entirety of Peace Walker can be played in co-op, and MGSV’s release featured the latest entry in the Metal Gear Online series. It’s actually a lot of fun, but I barely touched it at launch because I was too busy getting the platinum in MGSV. Maybe this month we can get some groups going and play some MGO or join each other for PW runs!

Now go! Let the legend come back to life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ol yeller posted:

I played a lot of these when they came out, and the best way to explain them is "MGS as an RTS with cards determining special actions". I remember the first one being pretty fun, worth a look if you like that gameplay style.

They just added it to PSN last month apparently so maybe I finally will

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Nevermind I think that was Portable Ops or something. I don't see it on there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its kinda cool but you have to manually swap between every key at every door and that probably takes up half of your play time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

remember hen avgn gets mad at the part in the nes version where you have to use a keycard to open the gas filled door, put on the gasmask, and then take off the gasmask in the gas room to use the card to open the exit? classic

theres also a part on the roof where there are endless guys spawned to fight you and you have to run to the end of the last screen of the sequence is a Locked Door and you have level 1 throuhg 8 keycards and have to guess which one it is and youre used to starting with the latest one and working backwards, and its close to the end of the game so you fiugre its a level 8. but its a Level 1 and the first timeyou get there you will probably die at the door trying different keys :troll:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

im gonna celebrate by playng mgs4, never played throguh it bfore

Make some popcorn

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wound up liking Peace Walker a lot more than I thought I would even though the bosses kinda suck across the board

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Who's your favorite MGS boss?

The End or The Boss. It's a tough one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

my brain can't rationalize where the Ray boss fight platform is on Arsenal Gear was when I was 11 and it can't now either

It's on top of the whole ship but also Raiden is going insane so it looks like the Rays are just flying out of the abyss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

Gonna start mgs4 again today because I can't wait two more days. I'm going to watch every single cutscenes and codec see you guys in August

I wanna play all of them and watch all the cutscenes but I'm gonna be extremely busy most of July so I may end up only playing 1 and 3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Konami made some really sick GB/GBC games during that period. Castlevania Adventure II is a top 3 Classicvania for me and there's also a good rear end Contra game on it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Contra: The Alien Wars which is a different game than Contra III Alien Wars for the SNES

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wait sorry it's called Operation C. It's hard to google contra names because each game has 3 names for the 3 different regions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

When I do MGS1 I'm tempted to use a NG+ file with the stealth camo to see how quickly you can literally just run from point to point skipping everything. It's would basically just be boss rush mode.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the absolute worst rank possible in MGS1

Complete game on Easy
Take over 18 hours to finish the game
Use more than 18 rations
Save over 80 times
Trigger more than 30 alerts
Kill over 250 guards

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

It's cool that you can become a boss fight character with the right upgrades in V

This is a lot of loving fun to do, especially using the armor parasites that let you turn into superman with bullets ricocheting off of you constantly while you just loving wail on dudes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It was very cathartic doing all the side ops in V after S ranking every mission first so I could blow off steam with all the insane L6 armors and explosives I never used before

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For all the talk MGS4 gets for having a lot of cutscenes I think MGS2 might have just as many. It just has a boss fight after the 90 minute closing movie instead of before it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does this not count codecs as part of cutscenes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

It would be cool if they showed Snake jacking off in a cutscene.

Play Peace Walker

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I like V the most

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the reason I like V so much is obviously the pitch perfect gameplay, but really I think it's the best directed video game ive ever seen. The complete lack of editing is astonishing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

lack of editing?

There are no cuts in MGSV. Every single cutscene is a single shot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And since the gameplay is all fluid camera motions as well, and cutscenes trigger in the field or mid-mission, if you never die MGSV is like a 70 hour single shot outside of loading screens/helicopter trips to MB.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

what if they made Bloodborne but in the MGSV map

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok then what if you could play as big boss in Bloodborne and CQC slam old ones

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

swamp waste posted:

I thought the joke was that that's what MGS1 was

when he says that it cuts to the scene of I think Snake and Meryl shooting guards with MGS1 graphics

I think he's saying they should make an oculus rift game of that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metal Gear July has officially begun on the east coast.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

i should finally finish mgs5

Yeah, the finale is pretty important

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

already laughing at how cheap and lovely the dualshock 3 feels

I can't believe we lived with this for 8 years or whatever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The USB converter I bought from China for 2 bucks that said it would let me use my Dualshock 2 on PS3 didn't work sadly

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everything is designed to fail within 2 years now so they can sell you another one. This isn't a conspiracy theory or anything it's like publicly stated business practice now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The DS4 works perfectly fine on PS3. The only game I've had problems with was MGS4 because it has motion control stuff in it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh wait does it not work with MGSHD collection at all because of the pressure sensitive buttons?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool how small MGS1 is. The space feels huge because of the insane story interludes but it's a pretty claustrophobic game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DS4 has been rock solid for me, the only time one failed is when I spilled beer on it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGS4 is a masterpiece

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

goferchan posted:

New Yorker as Arsenal Gear crushes several city blocks: Hey!!! I'm walkin here!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

As cool as snatcher may look the gameplay is SEGA cd era lightgun crap with a controller so it will always suck

• Locked thread