Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm very excited to play MGS1 and 2 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Who's your favorite MGS boss?
Metal Gear Ray

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Everything about Ray is great. Rex is a tough boss, the game hypes this one up as making it obsolete, and then instead of fighting one, you fight something like 12 of them. The number even increases at higher difficulties.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

I've only done the shagohod jeep chase sequence once ever and I can't wait to beat 3 again
Every time I thought MGS3 was over there was more game, and it was amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

[Eyes all dart to a guy in a white shirt giving a thumbs up]
You can't get a rank if you don't beat Meta- I mean uh I had a normal rank.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My DS3 is probably eight years old now and I've never had an issue with it. It's definitely the worst of the PS controllers though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

I was having a really sick run of 2 up to core 1 of shell 1, I kept throwing the guy instead of grabbing him for the eye scanner and got like 10 alerts 😔
That whole part took me like an hour because of that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

acksplode posted:

Snatcher was fun but falls under cookie cutter cyberpunk by leaning so hard on its blade runner inspiration.
This is what allows it to be good. It uses a familiar cyberpunk world so it can focus on telling a good detective story without having to constantly fill the player in on setting details.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"This genre work uses the genre's conventions well. That's bad." - a moron

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry that was unreasonable, I'm reading too much Games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's insane how Kojima and Fukushima were completely accurate in predicting the effect of social media on the American public.
It was definitely stuff people were talking about in studying media at that time but it's cool that Kojima knew his poo poo and used it so well in MGS2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

It's incredible that Metal Gear Solid 3 so accurately predicted the idea of the "Cold War", where nations are warring with ideology and ideas rather than weapons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

let me guess, you couldn't kill her? :rolleyes: newbies
I couldn't either. I hate luck-based fights.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Imagine MGSV with the ability to run counterintelligence missions like a black phantom in Dark Souls and gently caress with people while they're on a mission.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

That's actually possible in MGSV
Seriously? How?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

FOB invasions, if you do it when someone is playing it interrupts their mission
Oh, that's cool. I thought it happened in the background.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

beepstreet posted:

Big Boss at the end of MGS4 has Liquid and Solidus's leftover body parts to make him look normal again.
I don't believe this, because we've already seen what happens when you stick Liquid's body parts on someone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So unless there was a hidden ending to MGS4 where it cuts from Snake putting a gun in his mouth to Big Boss putting finger guns in his mouth, I don't buy it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Benny D posted:

I'm pretty sure they clearly explained in 4 that ocelot faked the whole possession thing
Here's what a quick Google search told me:

quote:

It is unlawful for a person to possess any Class I Wildlife unless the animal was in possession prior to August 1, 1980. Class I Wildlife includes, but is not limited to the following: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, baboons, leopards, jaguars, tigers, lions, bears, elephants, crocodiles, etc. Persons may possess Class II Wildlife if he or she obtains a permit from the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. Class II Wildlife includes, but is not limited to the following: howler and guereza monkeys, macaques, cougars, bobcats, cheetahs, ocelots, servals, coyotes, wolves, hyenas, alligators, etc. All other wildlife in personal possession not defined as Class I or II Wildlife must obtain a no-cost permit. In addition, FL has promulgated regulations governing possession of Class II and III animals (caging requirements, etc.). In 2010, Florida passed state regulations prohibiting importation, sale, use and release of non-native species. The regulations include a ban on capturing, keeping, possessing, transporting or exhibiting venomous reptiles or reptiles of concern (listed python species, Green Anaconda, Nile monitor and other reptiles designated by the commission as a conditional or prohibited species.) Persons who hold pre-July 1, 2010, permits for these species may legally possess the species for the remainder of the reptile's life. Traveling wildlife exhibitors who are licensed or registered under the United States Animal Welfare Act and licensed zoos are exempted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

At the end of the Japanese version of MGSV, Snake shakes hands with all his enemies in the hospital.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

Playing MGS2 for the first time and I know it's a joke about the series but seriously, the amount of cutscenes is insane.

Also I just slipped on bird droppings and fell to my death. Man, this game.
Every cutscene in MGS2 kicks rear end.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MGS2 is one of my favorite games. Easily my favorite in the series. 3 is a close second though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bilal posted:

Never played 4, so my ranking is :
1 > V > Portable Ops > 2 > 3 > Peace Walker
You should play 4, it has a lot of really cool ideas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

hosed up to imagine a Metal Gear game that would make you constantly pick up supplies and trash and then spend a bunch of time on boring poo poo in menus like eating, medical care, or changing what camouflage you're wearing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Can't imagine why MGS2 Snake, an invincible super-soldier with infinite ammo, would have a better outlook on life than MGS4 Snake, an old man whose body is the vector for a deadly virus.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It definitely has some issues cohering into a whole, but taken individually so many of the cutscenes are so good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

best voice acting in the series? (Other than david hayter of course)

robin atkin downes as kaz in v is great, he just sounds so bitter and pissy all the time. when you hear him on tapes more than you actually see him, it really helps characterize kaz

patric zimmerman as liquid ocelot in 4 was good too, perfectly ride the line between cheesy and TOO cheesy. if I had a brother I'd yell "brotherrrr!" at him

metal gear is cool
The Boss

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aston posted:

I love how in MGS3 all the bosses are super proud of their names and say them to themselves all the time
Also they're fire type, insect type, etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fronz posted:

I'm playing MGS4 for the first time now and it's pretty good. I managed to avoid spoilers for eight years. I just finished Act 4
Act 4 is some good gaming.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fronz posted:

I was a little annoyed that there wasn't much sneaking but it was still one of the most impressive acts in the game, especially the MGS1 flashback intro and the RAY fight and subsequent cutscene
I don't think the Metal Gear nostalgia in some of the earlier chapters necessarily works, but it sure does in 4 and 5.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I heard cyborg ninja's speech about being soldiers of light in a world of darkness a lot because i died to metal gear so many times on my first file but i never skipped it. Too much respect for the Ninja and the performance
It's a great cutscene. Every time I want to skip it I'm like "No! I can't do it!"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

In fact, you haven't even seen what's after Rex yet
I just think it was dumb for them to end the game with an unwinnable fight instead of having an ending, but it's cool that Kojima pushed the envelope that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I can't get over how great the camera and animations are in V, both in cutscenes and gameplay. Playing with no HUD, no marking, and no reflex is like a Rambo movie directed by Alejandro Inarritu. I would have loved some more interiors since the camera gets in real tight and makes it very tense.
V's basic gameplay is super polished. The series has always had so much attention to detail.

• Locked thread