Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

NRVNQSR posted:

A few of these, like #13, are really hints that Zero is Delta rather than hints that Q is not Sean, which are two very different mysteries. Certainly when I got to "Who is Zero?" I knew full well that Zero was Delta, but I had no idea Delta was Q; in fact I was almost certain that Delta was Eric and that he had messed with his own memories to provide a cover story.

I was combining both of them. Basically, these were supposed to be clues that Delta = Zero = Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You don't really need any hits that Delta is Zero though. The second Diane popped out two kids its like the most obvious twist ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I started turning on that twist the moment the twins became a thing and it was patently obvious what was gonna happen. Then the game did the Q is actually Delta thing and it got really obnoxious to keep playing from that point on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
delta was present with the teams because otherwise eric, lunatic fucker extraordinaire, would immediately figure out that q = zero = delta and would have no reason to freak out and shove a shotgun in sean's face a bunch of times. there you go i explained it

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
To be honest, I had a feeling Diana was going to turn out to be Phi's mother when they had that scene where the two of them hugged and Phi described it as being warm or something like that. Then the babies thing happened and I was like "oh."

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

voltcatfish posted:

Presumably she was injected with the memory drugs again and forgot

I'm pretty sure they mention that the bracelets don't inject any more memory loss drugs after someone escapes (I think this is in the Sigma/Diana trapped timeline), and Akane would know they were still alive from the casualty report where she is given the passwords she used to get out.

Also, while I personally thought this game was fantastic, the more I think about the concept of the transporter, the more it bothers me. At first, I thought it was elegant that every time it is used the transportees are created in a timeline they are already dead or missing from (I.e., your soul/consciousness can only be in one place at a time in any given timeline), but then they muck that up with Phi raising herself through offscreen transporter shenanigans in turn of the century Germany.

It also feels like there's still something more in the philosophy of time travel the game subscribes to that isn't ever explicitly said by the characters but is just alluded to. For example, the game seems to suggest that the sense of self is tied to both a person's experiences and their memories, so who you are is an aggregation of both of those. While the characters are concerned that they are murdering their other selves, as they timeline hop they aggregate their experiences from each timeline with the consciousness that jumps.

Under the game's theory of self then, it's more like their consciousness/souls are aggregating with one another than switching to be murdered since after the shifters start jumping around they all begin to become omniscient about everything that has happened in each timeline, implying that their "self" is aggregating, rather than being replaced. Of course, this is contradicted by Sigma displacing himself to the future in VLR, which also makes me wonder if young Sigma will still be jumping back into the past on April 13 in the "good" timeline, or if old sigma gets to enjoy his 22 year old body moving forward.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

delta was present with the teams because otherwise eric, lunatic fucker extraordinaire, would immediately figure out that q = zero = delta and would have no reason to freak out and shove a shotgun in sean's face a bunch of times. there you go i explained it

Like he needed a loving reason the other 40 times he did it?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played this game*, but after seeing the first post, i'm not sure i have to anymore.

* Not strictly true, i flipped a coin and saw the credits, so i guess that's it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh geez I didn't realize Sean stayed behind for both Q and Gab, nor that Gab was chained to Q's chair

That does raise the question of why Eric and Mira didn't try to take Q with them through the X door

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There are a lot of questions you can raise about Eric and Mira and the answer boils down to, "They are the most disappointing characters in the game."

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I assumed Delta had to be present because he saw himself there in the histories, kinda like why Lotus was in 999. Also because his mind hack abilities probably have a range. Maybe. I dunno.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baal posted:

Like he needed a loving reason the other 40 times he did it?

He had to be there in case it was that timeline! Delta is a Real American Hero willing to make the needed sacrifices.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The only problem with Delta is that they didn't have D.C. Douglas do a lovely TV German accent for the old Nazi scientist. I HAFF ZE POWER TO... MIND HACK.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Still annoyed nothing happened with Kyle/?. At least Aoi got mentioned!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Junpei and Akane getting married sucks

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Take solace in knowing that in most timelines she died by the hands of DIO

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

As I said in the main thread, I do enjoy how Akane's solution for the problems they face alongside the general C-team philosophy is to SHIFT away from it while trying to kill themselves in the current timeline they're in. I think my favourite choice of life-threatening situation they subjected themselves to was when Akane set the reactor to blow up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So why did Delta in some timelines just choose "gently caress it whatever I wanna live in a doomed timeline" and push the shower button or vote for the other teams? Like what was the point in doing that because I don't recall those specific timelines really resulting in anything and it's not like he can shift or anyone on his team can outside Sean (kind of.)

Also why were his eyes black and purple

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

His motives are... complex.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

Take solace in knowing that in most timelines she died by the hands of DIO

Dio is like Eric if he wasn't a mood swinging rear end in a top hat

jimmydalad posted:

As I said in the main thread, I do enjoy how Akane's solution for the problems they face alongside the general C-team philosophy is to SHIFT away from it while trying to kill themselves in the current timeline they're in. I think my favourite choice of life-threatening situation they subjected themselves to was when Akane set the reactor to blow up.

I actually really liked that scene. It sort of made me realize why I was gravitating towards Team C more than any other team as they were constantly throwing poo poo at a wall until something stuck enough to the point where they exploited it. I really liked Carlos a lot for that too, because he never really gave up and even in the face of Gatling guns kept trying to fight death. He's kinda generic, but I feel like he's perfect for that team.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've said it before but C-Team's shifting misadventures were my favorite part of the game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Back To The Alternate Dimensions was absolutely great yes.

That and the Phried timeline were the best parts of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsHJn7lH3g

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Btw, is there a reason Delta was cool with shooting his dad in that one timeline and not his mom or what?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

Baal posted:

Dio is like Eric if he wasn't a mood swinging rear end in a top hat

I actually really liked that scene. It sort of made me realize why I was gravitating towards Team C more than any other team as they were constantly throwing poo poo at a wall until something stuck enough to the point where they exploited it. I really liked Carlos a lot for that too, because he never really gave up and even in the face of Gatling guns kept trying to fight death. He's kinda generic, but I feel like he's perfect for that team.

Towards the beginning of the game, I found myself trying out Q-team first due to them being new and such. Then I found out that Eric was an absolute dick to be around while Mira was a psychopath. Vastly prefer C-Team shifting adventures and D-Team family drama to Q-Team just being dicks to each other.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I knew this game wouldn't be as good as VLR all along and I am vindicated to be proven right! VLR forever!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I actually liked this game more than VLR, despite my snipes at it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'll probably remember more of this game than I remembered of VLR, for what that's worth

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i think the choice system kicks the poo poo out of vlr's and the cinematography, while not the best, is better than VLR's straight up VN-ness, but OTOH VLR had better pacing as a game (see: actually having a final puzzle room,) more thematic cohesion, and was the most solvable mystery out of the ZE series, which like isn't necessarily good for everyone but I appreciated it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wish they didn't spam Blue Bird Lamentation and Morphagenetic Sorrow. Those two songs kind of lost all impact in ZTD because literally anytime anything even remotely sad happened they'd play without fault.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man Phi really wasn't much of anything near the end there, was she. Like, the minute she was fried she stopped being relevant to anything. Big shocker reuniting with your mom and dad! Holy poo poo! Also your brother is a huge dick! (Kind of?!) Let's give you like, one or two lines throughout all of that, and no epilogue file.

Actually Diana, Phi, and Sigma didn't get any epilogue files, did they? They're my favorites, someone write a nice ending where they're all a happy family and give birth to a kid named Epsilon and Phi can be a big sister.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
like, 999's got the whole Safe ending thing but its actual twist is unguessable, and ZTD's twist is literally "WHEN YOU SEE IT YOU'LL poo poo BRICKS!!!!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also VLR has the most funny joke's and Luna and K, who are both incredibly powerful and good. This is my statement on why VLR is good and my favorite, thank you yes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My favorite part of VLR is how it ruined one of my favorite characters from 999 and answered a question absolutely no one was asking about another.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's also a true statement and I certainly won't deny that Clover and Alice are by far VLR's weakest points, I just happen to like most of the rest of the game enough that it evens out I guess?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

*breaks down the door* But then WHAT is the deal with ALL-ICE?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can't believe Dashiell Gordain wasn't relevant again!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like that in ZTD if you click on a locker enough times Sigma goes insane and turns into a cat pun man again. Diana being absolutely baffled by it is just a bonus.

Junpei even got to see another Funyarinpa

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Dio's a lovely character, the game doesn't answer half of the questions it gives, K is a schroedinger's cat that never really gets resolved, and the game tries to spook you into being surprised by Old Man Sigma when it's groan worthy as hell and Quark is really just there as a chain for Junpei.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I won't downtalk quark because while he's useless 99% of the time his Ice Cream Float story still made me cry baby bitch tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said VLR has strong characters like Tenmyoji, K, and Luna are really strong characters, the good moments are super good, and the entire GOLLEM room was good as was Room q and the solution of tying Dio up and pressing ally until they all survived was an amazing conclusion to that whole thing.

• Locked thread