Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Doomykins posted:

(Placeholder Bump)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins posted:

(Placeholder Bump)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins posted:

(Placeholder Bump)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins posted:

(Placeholder Bump)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bump

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bump

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(It has been awhile so lets focus on replying to a few things at a time to start. I will begin clearing up chatlogs I've copied over but they're all still readable for the last several pages to catch up on things.)

Akio: Of the four gathered, three turn to share knowing looks and some laughter. A pair of LOLs punctuate the in-game text client.

: "Ohh, you're serious?" Zzztheno slithers over and raises her forearms in a little shrug before gesturing to Ambrose, waiting a moment to gauge his reaction, and then taking his forearm. Her other hand sways towards the balcony overlooking the gorgeous view of Argentea, as though if you looked into the distance you would see other adjacent Mindscapes. "We've seen Teufeulsbrucke, darling."

: "You're doing very well for yourself, sir." The flamboyant Flame joins the two of you, personal space a suggestion, his glistening skin perpetually oiled, it seems. "You're in the top ten. You and your friends, I take it! I'm really fond of the videos, your chemistry as a group is admirable!"

: Huitzil stays a respectful distance away. Feathers in his outfit sway as he rolls his shoulders. "I have studied here before, but now I wish to stand with you. The coming battles will be most entertaining.. surely you will form a clan of your own, soon?"

: Crossing by Huitzil's side, Noxia comes over to address you. Her fat barn owl familiar hastens over to mount on her upturned tail, held upright like a handle. You'd seen this bowl in real life, shadowing your group at the beach. Isabelle had IDed the familiar as belonging to this green-scale Dragonborn. Aggression from Thaddeus' side of the field? Not that Isabelle was the most trustworthy person at the moment. Noxia is conspicuously missing her guild tag but you'd know through Noriko that she's part of Dragonsblood's inner circle. "Master Dull Blade, if you had a moment to pull yourself from your fawning fanclub...?"

The other three look various degrees of indignant. Noxia keeps stepping over and calmly removes Zzztheno's hand from Ambrose's arm, blocking line of sight to her and looking him eye to eye.

Itsumi: Outrunning a thief is a fool's gambit. You anticipate their path and cut them off, prompting the shorter, lighter Avatar to clumsily stumble into your leg and side. Looks like a Halfling or Gnome dressed up in bright garish dress, wearing an ominous mask.

: She lets out a squeak and her name-tag flashes by briefly now that your focus has locked on. WantaPhanta, a pretty heavily loaded homage design for an Avatar. A few microphone audible mumbles and stutters follow before she executes a reposition with a small flashbomb and heads back the way she came down the alley.

Your natural reflex to follow or teleport ahead of her again is interrupted by a literal line of sight block, a carriage arriving from the sky and crashing down before you, upside down! You can barely make out a towering head on the opposite side of the alley, somebody covering Phanta's escape!

Noriko: The transition through the mists seems to unsettle a lot of the group. Weapons are drawn, implements brandishes and signs drawn. They calm down shortly, though one with a blood-soaked sword that always has a little more to give laughs at the others and gestures towards the gate.

: "What're you scared of!? Follow me!"

: "I'd rather die." As soon as the deliciously moody boy undercuts the excitement of the blood knight she's nearly on him. A shimmering wall of psychic force separates the two immediately.

: "Children." Sounds like an older woman over mic. An older gamer? Or at least the convincing scolding tone.

Callista rises and addresses those gathered.

: By the focus and expressions some of the fans wear, you get the feeling they either think Callista is Mori, or they rather fancy her appearance.

The assembled obediently followed her, enraptured by the presentation. You could say they're fully immersed, their egos taking second place to just experiencing the ascent. When Callista bids them farewell there is some unsure murmuring, some shared conversation where Avatars get close enough to whisper. Maybe they really do have something to think about, though the vibrant girl with two-shade hair can barely suppress a squee of delight. When the actual Mori appears and asks why they're gathered, there is a small arms race between the knights, three rushing to kneel and swear allegiance in character!

: Alexandria <the Red>, an open vampire dressed like a modern scene girl. "Goddess, you're just the coolest, is all! I'm ready to work with you!" The first to speak stands behind the three kneeling clunkers, beaming with joy.

: More_Dread, the blood knight and an even more open vampirically powered Avatar raises her head, barely suppressing full rage. "Of those worthy to fight by your side I think it is OBVIOUS who qualifies, Madam Mori. We could take all the heads of the little scale-spawn filth."

: "... Hey. It just seemed like my kind of app." The emo boy, an on the nose leather clad slasher with a set of twin knives on his hips, he almost seems unhappy to be here. But only a true depressive would recognize that actually showing up means this is the first thing to appeal to Tragedy_Void since he hit puberty.

: The older tiefling psychic curtsies besides the rest and holds the kneel after it. Mundane follows one of the more archaic Tiefling naming standards, though her character is anything but. Looks almost like a redeemed Succubus, maybe. "I like what I have seen of you in the highlights, young lady. And you seem to have the best odds of addressing the PvP Billboard."

: The second knight won't even dare to raise his head, lest he accidentally meet Mori's gaze with his own. "Lady, I would fight and die for thee, in this life and all others that follow, if only you would deign to raise me...!" His head is so low you almost feel the curious joking urge to step on it. Maybe a guy with a name like Ser Simp would like that. Maybe he has a good sense of humor, or he's just an avid gamer who has been online so much his irony meter inverted. Maybe he's playing with one hand right now. You can never tell... but at least his voice sounds like a regular guys. No panting.

: Is the third knight lost? Victoria <the Valiant> is a golden Dragonborn and even has a mix of Asiatic and the original DDW source material theming going on with the antler horns. She practically radiates the holy damage she must deal and her theming makes her stick out the most of anything in the garden! She raises her head and gives you a friendly smile. "Miss Mori, in truth, I greatly value and admire your work with your sisters." The recent proclamation Takano made in smashing through one of Thaddeus' servant Mindscapes directly called Noriko a sister, on equal standing with Akane and herself. A bit flattering, to say the least. "I.. am.. still aspiring.." Of those gathered, Victoria has the lowest level. Still in Paragon. "To serve. But! I would consider.. any service to be more than I deserve.." If this one is decorated to stand at Takano/Charlotte's side, perhaps she simply couldn't perform mechanically...

And despite all this, still another is watching the scene reverently. Looks like a tall looming shadow, but that would be a black outfit on a black silhouette with only a few slashes of stark white beneath. Looks like a man wearing a skeleton mask and a very wide-brimmed round black hat, watching Mori the entire time, yet not hiding himself. Just observing.

Tsukiyo: You've gone and done it by actually talking to Frederickson!

: "S-S-SPAR?! US? ME? YOU?!" Managing a monumental gulp Fred subconsciously reaches for and grips the handles of his shield and sword, then startles himself and hops two feet into the air when he realizes he has made a sign of aggression. Steeling himself and standing ramrod straight he swallows as much of his fear as he can and shimmers with a sudden light of confidence, a blue-white halo. "I.. I'll do my best!" He raises his weapons and takes up an amateur stance!

... You have to give him an A for effort! Fred charges, swings and raises his guard with 200% zeal. He even has the irritating quality of his earnest enthusiasm carrying over to each doomed strike. He can't possibly break your guard, let alone match it. But somehow every time he misses a small singe of holy radiance burns you. If he could keep this up long enough he might win by pure attrition.

Tsukiyo could feel free to instantly defeat the little lizard at any time with any move. His best defense is that barely managed 20 AC.

: "Keep at it.." The other fighters sparring are drawn to watch Flagelo, no matter who
she is fighting. The focus the massive minotaur <Noble> Asterius is giving this seems to lend the hopeless little Kobold a bit of extra dignity.

: "..." The double-speed animations of the harpie keeping herself aloft barely obscure an unimpressed look. Pipiri is her name, no guild or embellishments.

: The outrageous drill-man seems angry his own battle has come to a sudden end but is still watching dutifully, if a bit sullenly. You get the feeling Hardcore_Harry is exactly what he says on the tin.

: "You're doing good!" A classic Half-Elven archer that survived the usual attrition rate of those players who don't make their Avatar monstrous, outrageous or mysterious. The kindness in Edwin <The Swift>'s voice suggests he plays the game for fun. His high level suggests he's still rather good at it.

---

All: You've been hearing about it today. There was a strange headline or two on social media and aggregate gaming sites. Something has been erected in Teufeulsbrucke, the Devil's Bridge, the PvP Mindscape where you gathered before assaulting the House of Fortune and the new site of the black market auction house in the wake of your success.

Music

: "Uhm, h-hello everyone! I hope I'm not interrupting!" Your Velvet Room attendent, the little white-haired ghost girl Shikome addresses everyone quietly and privately through direct message, or at least over your shared Soulshell. She presents a set of screen shots of a massive cyber-mechanical structure erected atop the rotting cityscape that makes up Teufeulsbrucke. It looks like a massive black metal billboard, an electronic display punctuated by crackling jagged lines of purple gemstone. It sears constantly, the contents illuminated and visible for possibly miles.

quote:

THE GREATEST DESTINIES
THADDEUS
ROE
CHARLOTTE
.ATTAK *STATIC*
FENRIR
MORI *STATIC*
FLAGELO *STATIC*
ANGELITO
AMBROSE *STATIC*
SUNBRIGHT *STATIC*

Strange unknowable symbols are next to each name. Bars of static flicker around the names often, always around those of your party. .Attak and Fenrir's names frequently flip, caught in an endless irregular cycle. Sometimes strange names replace Mori, Flagelo, Ambrose or Sunbright. They seem to mix and match from a pool of high level players, including a few you recognize from Thaddeus' inner circle or from Fenrir's pack such as Jubilette. A top the whole display a massive lurid clock made primarily of the fractured purple stone counts down towards.. something. It seems to catch itself, hiccup and reset a few tics every so often, but it always realigns towards an intended stable point it is counting down to.

June 29th. The next Full Moon.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

"What the hell..?" Itsumi exlaims! She thinks quickly, teleporting on top one of the buildings in the alleyway to get a birds-eye view of the situation, in hopes of being able to anticipate the thief's next move!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Itsumi: You reclaim line of sight to both would-be thieves, seeing Phanta running across open street to a new alleyway and the large fellow recoil in surprise.

: "Bleedin' hell!" Absolute recoils in surprise before rounding and running off after his little friend.

Owing to the practicality of your preferred method of travel it's trivial to keep up with them. You're able to corner the two at the end of the alley, where instead of a new set of streets the back of a building in a large horse-shoe design blocks them in on three directions. They're looking for an outside the box solution when you're able to catch up to them.

: "Mmm! Mm!" The little one tugs on Absolute's pant leg and points back at Itsumi.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 31, 2021

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Ambrose <the Black Blade> // Bibliotheca Argentea

Huitzil's question is left hanging as Noxia inserts herself. "Fawning fanclub? Interesting choice of words coming from someone who herself belongs to Thaddeus' deplorable gathering of doormats." Ambrose regards her with a scrutinizing gaze. "Or should I be using past tense? Your lack of guild tag is the only reason why I have yet to cut you down for your cowardly attack on the Gardens of Persephone." The hostility lingers in the air for a short moment before he lets out a sigh and breaks eye contact with Noxia to address the others. "I'll be with you in a minute."

He turns his back on Noxia and starts to walk, but beckons her to follow by motioning with his head. "Come." He leads her to a nearby reading room suitable for a private conversation, then turns around and faces the dragonborn with his arms crossed in front of him. "What do you want?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ambrose: You can hear Flame calling hey mate.. as the two of you step aside. Zzztheno crosses her arms and Huitzil grumbles.

: Once the two of you are in a private room Noxia raises a hand and uses two fingers to swish and sway the air around her name tag, distorting a simple flat 2D panel illusion that makes her <DRAGON> guild tag invisible. "Did you already forget, Ambrose?" Something about her is very familiar. "We're already even, since you cost me my friends." She lets her tongue poke out in a mocking raspberry. "Pfft. You're so straightforward. Really honest. It's no wonder you'd get fooled." That casual mocking tone. The playfulness. "It's me." A beat. How embarrassing. Noxia's cheeks grow intensely flushed. "Mapple."

The Tiefling Warlock that slummed around with Hiro, Heart and the other one! "... Well, you don't like him, but I made something of myself off his little back. That's why I came here, Ambrose. I... wanted to warn you. About him. About us. Thaddeus and his crew." She fidgets with her hands. "Things are going to get really heated soon. I think I understand why you and your friends rose so fast.. now that I've done it too.."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Flagelo - Tower of Victory

Aww... How cute. Poor guy is pretty brave. Well, if this was back when she started playing the game in what have seemed to have been four five years including a long hiatus from ten seconds ago to now, Tsukiyo would have just done her best and crushed him out of a sense of competitiveness. But now... She has matured, even if a bit, and this reflected on her attitude. Indeed, this is why she is going to take it as seriously as possible, as the code of Bushido demands. If her opponent is being brave, then she must meet him on the battlefield with a tenacity that matches him.

"All right then! Ready or not!" She says with a smile, letting the lizard approach him with arms ready... Before unsheathing both of her swords and COMPLETELY ANNHILATING Fred by slicing him at full strength, the sheer impact of the x-crossed attack flying through the air and slicing a distant tower's minaret down.

"Uh... GG?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tsukiyo: Destruction is unleashed.

: "UWWOOOAHHHH!!!" Frederickson is sent flying, bouncing off a statue and sent rag-dolling down a lengthy set of stairs. It's only several seconds later thanks to in-game resurrection that he's able to sheepishly walk back up them, repeatedly bowing his head in customary IRL politeness. "T-Thhank you very much, M-Miss Flagelo! I learned a lot from that exchange!"

You can already feel the others pressing in.

: "I want me some of that! Come on!"

: "You wouldn't hold back on us either, would you?"

: "Ahh, if I get hit once, I'm dead? I'll take up the kiting challenge!"

: The biggest one disrupts the clamoring by slapping his club to his chest, the noise unsettling even these blowhards. "We are all eager to test ourselves against you, but more-so then that I desire to fight by your side, Sensei. The storm is coming."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Mapple!? O-Oh." Ambrose gapes in surprise and his guarded posture falters a bit, his arms falling to his sides. He quickly attempts to recover by clearing his throat. "Ahem. You've, uh, certainly changed."

"So you figured out our secret after all." Ambrose touches his chin thoughtfully with his thumb and index finger as his eyes wander off to the side. "Then I hope you understand why I was reluctant to involve you. You seem to be aware of the dangers of the Game, after all. But..." His eyes return to her, watching her quizzically. "Why have you come here to warn me if your loyalty lies with Thaddeus?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah... Well, seems that every one of them is pretty eager. And they are getting close to her while demanding a fight too. *"Uh sure. Get on guard then, everyone."* She sheathes her swords once again, keeping them close to her hand but watching at her contestants closely. Hmm, a fan club... to think she would be popular here of all places. Although... geez, she would have rather have become popular in school, not in a video game!

Still, the Minotaur guy was right about something. There was a storm coming soon indeed, and she would make sure to be ready for it, no matter what...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ambrose: She seems flattered by your response, smiling in triumph.

"I guess you never would've got that one on your own!" Noxia indulges in gloating briefly, fists set on her hips as she does a celebratory bob from side to side, her tail doing counter-motions. She tones it down quickly. ".. It's not that hard to do this, we're all supposed to be appearing like idealized or hidden sides of ourselves. I just.. took on a new one. Especially if it helped me get ahead."

She crosses the room and gets in your face, eyes focused, angry, sharp! "Listen to you! I don't have loyalties for Thad! We're guildies! And.. it was really smart, to side with him. I don't know if you've heard, but a lot of players stop logging in or they.. they change. Their loyalties actually shift, and it's really weird. Like Hiro!" Kane's online screen name, back when they were <Gank Inc>. "Thaddeus banded his guild together as tight as possible when ORDER dissolved. He says somebody else, some PvPer witch, is buying out other players. He wants people who fight for him.. and, if we're in the game, he says he'll reward us when he wins it. Bit most of all.."

She leans back and holds her forearms, looking off to the side reluctantly. "He keeps talking about getting back at people. Like you. I don't.. I don't hate you, you know! I wanted to warn you. You can get out, or I dunno, talk to him. Maybe settle it." The seriousness of the topic lets her face you again. "But I think.. I think if he knew you IRL, he'd attack you. And the witch isn't much better, I hear. So uhm.. that's.. that's it. Just be careful."

... "You don't respect him, I know, but look at this." She raises her implement and channels a bit, sharing her game UI with you briefly. It shows a Soulshell. It names the tarot arcana. "He asks us to do strange rituals.. I think a few are IRL, if the players live near where he does. He's getting as strong as he can and he knows you're strengthened by your friends too. I.. uhm, I'm the Chariot, haha. It makes me stronger too!" She dismisses the projection and faces you down with a stern, puffed cheek expression. "So take him seriously too."

Tsukiyo: Maybe this is just what you needed. An afternoon of beating the poo poo out of other people but there's no social drama, no consequences, no threats on your life and intense discomfort and being trapped by some psychopath's golem. And even better, these players can give as good as they get. Nobody complains if they lose and the impact or cuts of their blows are refreshing. Bonds of kinship forged through battle... sometimes it seems like the others were too delicate for that.

When your fan club is satisfied and people begin to log off, but only when you've all agreed to adopt a Soulshell and soon a guild tag, you retire to the typically underutilized interior of your Mindscapes central tower. Inside you immediately spot the shadowed figure of Jun's Avatar, which is now modified to be very close to him in real life with a few extra shrouds and bits of leather armor. You can spot him instantly because his name tag is visible in the default text. He's not trying to hide, you both just understand that there's a certain way to do things in chuuni style.

: "That looked like fun." He doesn't wait for a reply and shows you a personal screenshot, a different angle then what Shikome shared. The billboard in Teufeulsbrucke. "Have you seen this?"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 3, 2021

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

After seeing the thieves cornered, Itsumi glares at them. "What in the world do you think you're doing?" she asks bluntly, hoping to get a reasonably honest answer from the two backed against the wall.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Uwahhh... Not even trying to use an avatar or anything and going so out of his way to look cool. How lame. Sure hope he doesn't ruin this evening, she did had a lot of fun training with those guys. A soulshell and full guild would be fun too, and Tsukiyo already has a name or two in mind, although there will probably need some evaluating later.

She looked at the screenshot, feigning a lack of interest. "Yeah, what of it? Guess we are getting to the 'last man standing' part." Of course, Tsukiyo saw it before with Shikome... and could barely hold her own irritation back then, although she is at a better state of doing so right now. Seriously, not only she is still below big brother, she is also below Noriko and Takashi too! D-drat it! Of course, that might not be some sort of ranking, but the fact that Takashi and brother keep changing around...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Itsumi: Having become a high leveled player in your own right, facing down these lesser Avatars is properly menacing. The little one tries to hide behind the legs of the big one as he raises both of his hands, palms held up in a bid for mercy.

: "Same reason you did, Miss.. because it was there.. and.. it ain't something to do.. impossible, even. Just like the House."

: Passive Perception Failure From the side comes a green-scaled hand from a lanky, off-beat lizard-woman. Doesn't seem to have the regal bearing of your usual Dragonborn player. She passes a hand along Itsumi's collarbone and honks her shoulder. "Is your house as well guarded, boss? Uwee.. hee.. hee.." She Shifts away aggressively, assuming a prompt rebuttal. Her scent and proximity is intoxicating, and supernaturally so. Magical charms! Dulls the sense and cools the blood..

: Out of the corner of your eye you can see stone shifting and rising in a way it shouldn't, a bright and stylish new accomplice ushering the cornered two into a hidden passageway that goes beneath the city streets! She winks at Itsumi and pulls the stone shut.

Assuming swift response to the seductress, approaching the stone has a surprising effect. It's sealed as shut and tight as if it were just paved and 100% filled in with brick and cement. But Sunbright's proximity and her natural energy casts a bit of sunlight on the area and reveals the sigil that opens the passageway. It leads down in an impossible spiral that crosses spaces it shouldn't and joins the underbelly of Sunny Swenett, leading to the sewers. Even down here things are conspicuously clean, the water passing along actually being just that.

A conspicuous line of torches leads round a corner that in a real facility would only need inspecting ever season or later, usually when something goes wrong. The passage rounds to a set of abandoned cisterns that have been repurposed into small storage vaults, all save for one which is a set of cozy looking hammocks and bunks. At some point the lizard seems to have snuck in from behind you, suggesting an obscene Stealth value.

A strange-looking humanoid with heavy natural energies channels lime-light green energy along one of the cistern handles, separating the stone discs that block it off. The big guy and little girl hustle over and bowling ball toss a sack of digital valuables in, contributing to the overall funds of the group. Included in that is a petty amount taken from Sunbright herself. The two whirl around and the big guy beams with pride, as do the other three who aren't masked. Phanta dances a little jig and pops off with a curtsey to indicate her own pride.

: "Mistress Sunbright!" The stranger squeaks awkwardly, then curtsies as well. She raises her head and puts on a simpering gap-toothed smile. "I hop.. we.. we hope this has been a sufficient demonstration of ou.. of our prowess, to you! We are aspirants! Uhm, er, hopefuls! Of the Thieves Guild!"

Tsukiyo: Jun misses your casual disdain of his own casual disdain.

: "You need to look at what is missing. Bishop, Royal and Isabelle are absent from that list. It's conspicuous.. aren't they all "best of" class too? And these new names.. I think the goon squad that follows Fenrir around is plain enough." A trio of bruisers all focused on self-sufficiency and multi-tasking hybrid play. A monstrous acidic slime, an exploding bruiser and a lightning dancer. "Fenrir and Thaddeus are up there with Charlotte. They're all sharing ad space with you guys up there and.." He jumps tabs to some brief PvP highlight clips. There's always a few battleground stealthers who will follow the real brawlers around at a safe distance to record everything. "Avid player killers, both using overwhelming meta specs.." A clip of Angelito depicts a looming shade a bit taller than a man wearing a stark white skull mask and a gleaming pearl decorated sombrero, a massive round hat that despite a festive style has a grim, ornate appearance. He uses layering psychic debuffs to beat individual targets into submission before simply beating them to death. A Bard, like Royal, unseen arms working a Spanish guitar under that opaque yet ethereal black shroud.

"Unguilded or using unrelated guilds.." The second is Great White Roe of <Fishy Gits>, a lanky shark-woman modeled after a great white who looks like an aggressively angry punk rocker type. You can't miss the unmistakable scent of cheese as she's an obvious Warden with an aura of proximity frost damage. One of the cruelest set-ups possible in DDW... but even worse is when she invokes her Persona, a massive stadium-sized whale. The great bismarck drops a massive push effect on the battlefield that fills in dips, holes and craters with water. Enough for Roe, already sticking to her foe like glue, to Push, Pull, Slide and Grapple them into it. Wait multiple rounds and she's the only one to leave the water.

".. Eri contacted us again. She says her handler is ready to meet you this week."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 23, 2021

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Oho, the Chariot arcana? Yes, that makes a lot of sense." Faced with her puffed cheeks, Ambrose can't help but smile a little. "I do take the danger Thaddeus poses seriously," he assures her. "It's his character, or rather his lack of one, that I disdain." The subject hardens his expression. "But that's also why I can never let him win. Not only can I think of few less deserving than him, but I also just know that he will squander the wish, or worse, if he gets to claim it. And if I'm the one that has to stop him, then I will use all of my might to try to do so." He pauses for a moment and then his face softens a bit again. "Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear. I'm glad to hear you're not loyal to him, though."

"Mapple-- Noxia." He corrects himself. "What is it that you want from the game? You sought out Thaddeus to become stronger, but now that you know there's something more to it... What are you fighting for now?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"...Wait, if Adachi, Akane and that american lady aren't there, then that's not a leaderboard for DDW. Crap, it's the people who are remaining for the Game." She cups her chin, deep in thought while listening to Jun's explanation of the other players who have joined on that list. "I dunno what brother would do with these hanger-ons to be honest, but I guess it has something to do with that new job of his somehow." Of course that's just a wild guess but it's the best she has at that point.

"Right, and you're absolutely sure that's not going to be an ambush or anything, right?" Whether Eri would rat them out or be caught was something that she fully expected to happen, so it would be better to prepare for that as well.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Akio: Stepping forward Noxia brings up both hands and open-palm shoves Akio right on the chest. Not with much force, but enough to express frustration.

: "There's lots of things to care about! I.. I care about people getting hurt, and about maybe not hurting you and your dumb friends, even if you're jerks, and.. and.." Her voice cracks over comms. "What about Hiro!? He's in that too, and he's ghosted all of us! So I have to fight, and maybe I can make a difference! I'm a lot stronger now, at least!" She throws up her hands and then lets her arms droop, looking away. "... Well, I said my piece. Can you at least escort me out instead of through some maze? And.. don't die. My mom talks about the news a lot and.. ah, it's really weird and.. it makes me worry a lot." She peeks over her shoulder at Ambrose.

Tsukiyo: With a nonchalant little chuckle, Jun rolls his shoulder through a shrug.

: "That's the risk we take, isn't it? But look at it this way... if Eri went back to them and said "I failed and got captured", real pragmatic assholes might kill her for it. And if these guys are after you for recruitment or extortion, they need you alive. Else, well.. it's a lot easier to poison somebody than to duel them." Spoken like the Rogueiest Rogue player. Jun grins as he realizes a joke internally. "... And if Genjuro is part of this, they won't cross him just to hurt you. Might turn him back around on that. So.. I think you're safe as long as you can pull off the acting. This will make you about a triple agent? You need to pretend that Eri succeeded AND you want to hear this guy out, work for them, that kinda thing. And.. you need to defer to Eri to keep up the deception."

He misses a beat as he spends too long looking over your face, unable to mask his concern.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"Even easier to ambush them on a cave while pretending to hold a party." Tsukiyo says while giving Jun the stinkeye. That she didn't forgot at all. Still, that kind of grudge would have to wait, she thought on the ways that could go wrong, the apartment heist obviously being something that brought that up. "...Only one way to know, huh." Indeed, would only be a matter of trusting Eri not to rat her out... or that they she can escape or fight her way out if something goes wrong.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

"Thieves guild? You guys aren't too bad if you managed to sneak up on me like that, even if I did catch you eventually," Itsumi says through Sunbright with a smirk. "So, what are you guys hoping to gain by getting my attention?" she asks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Itsumi: The rest of the group falls in and stands respectfully, giving you and their spokeswoman full attention.

: "W-we want to fight with you, of course! Watching th.. tho... all of those stinking god drat elites in the big guilds stomp around.." She physically raises and stamps her feet, her face cross with anger! "And tell us who the big shots are, it really pisses us off! Watching you.." She regains her composure, rather bashfully at that. "M-Mistress Sunbright.. watching you take down their seat of power, that was beautiful! We want to see it again! W-we want to DO IT!" The rest of the goons cheer at the declaration of intent.

ORDER has their fair share of fans who can't get into the elite cadre themselves. Fan clubs or small private armies, it seems. Your own fans have finally emerged!

Tsukiyo: You draw blood verbally, Jun unable to hide a small wince.

: ".. Well, yeah. You need to be alert at all times. Whoever wanted to entomb trespassers in vents is probably behind this guy as well." His face recovers to his usual neutral frown. "And would kill Takeo.. Chavez, if you blow your cover, anything could happen to you or Eri. Be careful." Seems you two have each had a chance to say your piece. (Can fin this online scene for Tsukiyo any time unless she had something on her mind.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"...Thanks for the concern." She scratches her head a bit awkwardly. Considering they were enemies until not long ago, the whole situation between their newfound alliance still was a bit strange to her. "And for sticking around. Same with Manami and the others. And... Don't worry. I'll take care of myself. We'll stop these guys, I'm definitely sure of that."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"In truth, I'm worried about Hiro too. I think I may have let him down as a friend." Clear concern is showing on his face and in his voice both. "If you're not already aware, he's signed up with that PvPer Witch you mentioned. She is very dangerous, and Hiro, well he's... Ahem." He clears his throat again and blushes slightly. "In deep, as it were. I don't think he's in any imminent danger, but I can't help but feel that he's being used." He sighs and frowns. "I wish I knew how to free him from her clutches before it's too late, but so far I've had no such luck..."

"Erm, right, the maze." Ambrose winces. "Sorry about that, it's a security measure. Of course I will escort you out safely." He nods in assent, but makes no motion to leave just yet. "...Unless you'd rather stay here?" He looks her in the eyes as she peeks over her shoulder. "I don't wish to see you hurt either, and we seem to care a lot about the same people. Thaddeus will lead you to ruin, and I want to have you on my side." He holds out an open upturned palm. "Will you join me? I swear I will protect you."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Akio: Once you've made your offer you can observe Noxia/Mapple comprehend it in real time, her face turning bright red from bottom to top with the timing of a rising tea kettle. She staggers backwards and throws her hands up, palms out.

: "W-w-what are you saying!? I can take care of myself! A-and I just told you, we have b-bonds with Thaddeus! And each other! I-I can't just run out on those! Y-you idiot!" She can't help but look pleased and smile. "J-j-just see me out, I really appreciate it, b-but I have to fight with them for now!" Noxia extends a hand to you. "... And if you're not careful, he'll win. Or the witch! He's always mad about her! And you. You'd better appreciate my warning!"

Once you've escorted Noxia to a point where she can leave the Mindscape quickly, your other three potential pupils look to you expectantly.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 18, 2021

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Itsumi giggles aloud from behind her VR headset. Flashing a wide smile, she replies, "Sure, just uh... don't do anything stupid in my name, okay?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Itsumi:

: "Stupid! But tha's exactly what we want to do!" The enormous orc throws his arms up in a dramatic pose. <The> Absolute is the clear muscles of any heist. "You robbed th' House of Fortune! What could be crazier?!"

: The little Phanta hops up and down at his side, arms up to mimic the pose. A dedicated roleplayer, it seems.

: "Please, we're good enough to help you with what's next." In thy style of Sunbright is another stylish rogue in bright primary colors, carrying a row of sheathed daggers and a string guitar with matching frames.

: "Uhhmm hmm.. Bishop's Tower? Royal's Stage? I heard you hit that one too, uh huh huh.. even Fenrir's pits have treasures." Musings from the high stealth who spooked you, a sultry little beastial player of an off-beat lizard-person type.

: "Yes, please lead us, Master Sunbright!" The spokesperson bows last and struggles to speak the loudest, an odd dragon-born type with a misplaced dignified bearing.

It seems ORDER players aren't the only big shots that attract fans!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Akio: (Can use at least a wrap-up post here.)

Itsumi: (Ditto.)

Noriko: (Can proceed without you but would like to see Noriko's in-thread return too.)

---

Akio, Noriko: The time approaches for your second round of eavesdropping. Mister Adachi/Bishop will be meeting with Allison/Braxienne IRL for some purpose. You suspect Bishop may not be 100% truthful in his acts of dramatic martyrdom and declarations to defend the lives of his students and friends due to his close association with the shadier half of ORDER. His wife and son being able to manifest Avatars IRL is a development as well. All the same you can join forces with Akane to case the small cafe the two are planning to meet at. You could don disguises again or concoct some other elaborate plan but one thing is different above all else here:

If you were caught spying on Mister Adachi it would be socially awkward and possibly damage his trust in you. If you're caught spying on Allison you have no idea what could happen due to her close association with Isabelle. Although Bishop and Allison have been ejected from the Game and are depowered you know that the witch is capable of very dangerous things.

Itsumi: You have a lead that the others don't have, a direct tie to the lumbering guild leader of <Fishy Gits> actually intimidating people IRL instead of just online. Tied to the suspicious circumstances that cost your father his job it seems that a lot of online politics are leaking over into reality with dangerous results. You're also staying in contact with Tsukiyo even when the others and her have formed a sharp rift recently.

<Fishy Gits> do have a notable public Mindscape. You could also look up information online about Roe. Or well, anyone.

Tsukiyo: You receive a strange text from a number Eri prompted you to not ignore.

quote:

Meet at the Sun Center Plaza at 8 PM. Meeting location enclosed. Come alone. Meet and walk with Redd. We are meeting as family members. You two are cousins, I am your Uncle. I will address you first. Do not do anything untoward: the police will not be able to help you.

A security camera POV photo shows a bench near an incidental advertising branded landmark. All contact information and attempts to look it up online return generic default information and a total absence of social presence. This is a burner message. Even if you turned this message in it would lead to a cheap discard phone in a random trash can at best. You'd overwhelmed Eri, who wanted you to actually join her side and work for this mystery boss. You sent her back with word that you would. Double agents, triple agents, it's deception all the way down. Eri is playing along with you for now for fear of the consequences this stranger could inflict upon her. Seeing as he sent Eri to attack you and given the ambush waiting in Genjuro's condo there's no doubt to the worst that could happen.

You'll have to play it cool and at least draw information from this contact. Just seeing somebody face to face could be a big lead. And there's the question of if you'll actually go alone. Jun, Manami or even Itsumi could accompany you, perhaps... even Miho has some Avatar-worthy prowess. The instructions make it clear that the stranger is using a public place as his own shield and will be upset if you show up with extras.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 23, 2021

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Bibliotheca Argentea BGM (Out of Combat, Library Tower)

"I do appreciate your concern," Ambrose assures Mapple with an expression that's both amused and disappointed. "Just make sure that you're also being careful yourself. Some that are out to hurt Thaddeus could end up going after you to weaken him. Try to always have an escape route in mind." He leads her out to the nearest teleportation pad and steps through it with her, taking them down to the ground floor of the library, right next to the exit. "If you should change your mind, or if you find yourself in dire need of help; don't hesitate to contact me again." He sees her off with a smile. "Be seeing you."

Ambrose then teleports back to the upper levels and returns to where he left his three prospects. "So you wish to follow me." He gives them a quick calculating glance, assessing their strength. "Well, you certainly seem powerful enough to warrant serious consideration, but that's hardly my sole criteria. Tell me, what motivated you to seek me out and not anyone else in the top ten, and what do you hope to gain from serving me?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Memento-Mori

Noriko takes a moment to consider each of the applicants, ruffling Crowley's feathers as she assesses their merits.

At Alexandria's intro, she can't help but giggle a little. "N-No need for excessive flattery... Well, you seem enthusiastic, to be sure. Maybe you can find deeper meaning here, on the border of Letherna..." A... A fan...?

Raising an eyebrow at More_Dread, she smirks. "...And you seem confident that you know what I'm looking for... Though you're not entirely wrong. There are many souls that need to be set back on their path. And many that need to be stopped in it entirely. I need the full capacity of your violence, but are you more than that? I'd like to see."

Nodding to Tragedy_Void, she seems to get his motivations even if they're unspoken. "...Indeed."

Mundane catches her a little off-guard. A...Another one?! Is this what it's like for Akane?! "Ah, well, I'm certainly looking to shift the balance in power..." She almost catches herself saying I hope I can live up to your expectations, but manages to stop herself! This adult energy!!!

Mori stares at Ser Simp, a text bubble appearing over her head at a few points before disappearing as her player re-starts the line of text. Another boy wants me to bully him? Am I getting a reputation? There's nothing I can do that isn't going to encourage this guy, is there? After what feels like way too long, she settles on a "...K" before moving on!

She spends the longest time considering Victoria, in quiet contemplation. "...You seem like you have a lot to prove, but perhaps more to yourself than to anyone else... I believe you can shine brightly, if you take care not to let your light get smothered standing in someone else's shadow. Have faith in your capability and we can shine together."

"A grieving girl once asked an old man if he could help her care for the dead. The old man said to her, 'who am I to doubt your earnesty? if you say you want to help, then do something useful!' I will say the same to each of you - I'm not here to judge you, you are capable of speaking and acting for yourselves. Your own actions will prove your character in my eyes, and in the eyes of the Raven Queen. Each of you is welcome here, in the first circle of my garden, for as long as you stand with the burakumin and bare the tag of Nokanshi. You will be Assistant Corpse Washers until you can advance from your station."

Mori looks at the last figure, standing apart from the group. Not wanting to be a bad host, she raises her voice. "Would you like to join us, stranger? I'm happy to entertain well-behaved guests."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Sun Center Plaza

C-Creepy! This is super creepy! Tsukiyo shudders upon reading the message. Top secret meeting or not, this weirdo is trying to get a schoolgirl to call him uncle at night and telling her not to call the cops! Such sliminess must be punished... With extreme prejudice. Still, the message was that she should come alone, and it would put Eri and herself in risk were she to come with someone, but...

Eventually, she arrives at the correct place and date, only a few minutes before the mysterious message sender can come as well. Dressed in civilian clothes, Tsukiyo looked a bit nervously around. Jun was likely on one of the bushes not far away, he is a sneaky guy after all, and Manami was instructed to stay at a burger place not too far, were things to go awry, he would call her on phone so they could come as backup.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 27, 2021