Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sunday
Music

Noriko and Akane Hang Out posted:

Following Akane's address and directions, you take public transport into the heart of Kobe, coming to a luxury high-rise apartment building, intended for high power, high salary professionals who need to live and work in the city. This is a super prestigious condo community, the building surrounded by up-scale places to shop, popular works of city beautification and walkways to an inner-city park. The front is a bit intimidating, staffed by doormen, valets and even armed security. Fortunately they're very helpful and you're buzzed in promptly, given the clear by Akane. An elevator ride gives you a bit of time to reflect on the surroundings before you're at the door, ready to knock.

: Noriko tries not to think too hard about the income disparity. She'd had rich friends before, but then again, that was when they were still upper middle class! She knocks on the door without much hesitation.

:There's no immediate reply, but a few moments later the door is opened and Akane greets you, beaming from ear to ear and wearing another outstanding printed t-shirt: FROG? NO! HIPPO She's also wearing a little black cap with an oni's gold horn and a casual black skirt, to really tie the rest of the blackness together. "Noriko! Did you get here alright?" At her side is a stoic and adorable akita, the dog standing at the ready by Akane's side, as tall as her waist. His fierce gaze immediately tips you off to his breeding temperment, and he's watching you warily.

: Noriko nods. "it wasn't too hard to find, and somehow, i slipped past the guards..." she grins slyly. Today, Noriko is wearing a simple black vest over a white shirt with the sleeves rolled up; it looks like it was probably a work uniform, but it's been adorned with enough skull pins, horror buttons, and death metal patches that it's probably safe to bet it's been repurposed. The uniform is matched with a medium length skirt and leggings, along with some stylish but somewhat worn boots.

: Akane giggles, then ruffles the dog's ears and scratches his neck. "This is Mitsuo, the man of the house." She invites you to greet him to establish some familiarity. "So where're we heading?!"

: Crouching so she can look at Mitsuo at a closer level, she meets his gaze with a cool stare. "Hi Mitsuo. Are you a good boy?" she offers a hand for pats but doesn't just go right in for it. "Borderless, have you ever been there? I was originally just going to have it shipped to my house but I wanted to buy local."

: Akane thinks for a bit as Mitsuo accepts your good manners, permitting you to shake his paw and pet his head. "Uhm, never heard of it, but that sounds great!" She heads back inside for a second to get something, inviting you in to see the front room of the house and relax a bit. "I'll be right back!"

The Hattori household is about as perfectly orderly, ridiculously upscale and pristinely decorated as you'd imagine. There are a few pieces on display of historical significance, indicating either a collector or an avid study of family history, backed by a lot of money. Seated at the morning table with a small meal and drink is an older woman reading a newspaper, clearly middle aged yet possessed of the age-stopping beauty that comes only from great discipline and investment. Based on their ages and her political career, you'd guess Mrs Hattori must be in her 40s-50s. She has long hair with a bit of a curl to it, her gaze peering over the paper as you come in and her mouth wearing a coy smile as she spots you. "Good morning, dear."

: "Hello, Mrs Hattori. it's nice to meet you." Noriko smiles and bows politely. "I'm Noriko Mori."

: She regards you closely, the scrutinizing look of an adult taking in the whole of your outfit, and you. She returns a warmer smile and turns the page. "What a delightful girl you are, Noriko. Have fun today, you two." Akane returns with Mitsuo on a leash and wearing a little ironically lovely black cat side-pack. "Bye mom! Come on, Noriko!"

: Heading out towards their destination, Noriko leads the way - the store being more or less half-way between their homes, it's not too far to reach on foot. As they walk, she turns to Akane. "So I had a weird week... I've been wondering something... How did you end up awake, when everything happened at school? Did it just sort of... shift, for you, too?"

: Akane follows you with Mitsuo, the dog maintaing a healthy trot to keep pace with you two and standing alert otherwise. Akane blushes a bit when you mention other school. "Uh-uhm, I'm still not sure that really happened, you know..me and the others were just watching Hook and Crook(the serial killer film series about bank robbers who use elaborate dismemberment traps and usually turn on each other), ya know, the third one, with the guy who walks through piano wire.. uhm." Akane laughs a bit, realizing she's babbling. "Things kinda started blurring. I thought I was sick or tired." A beautiful sunny day in the city. You and Akane are crossing the streets on foot, making it a nice extended walk. "Then I couldn't talk to anyone, and Takano busts in and says to follow her!"

... Obviously, the primary recurring antagonist/protagonist of Hook and Crook is a middle aged man with a hook hand. Sometimes the audience roots for him, sometimes for the cop chasing him. Point of view changes dramatically from entry to entry!

: "hm. I know what you mean. I was questioning it too, and I'd have thought I was crazy if other people hadn't been through it with me. or..." she hesitates. "I'm gonna show you something but keep it quiet, ok?" After making sure nobody else is looking, she waves her hand over a nearby flower bed, letting fate well up inside her; as her hand passes over it, the flowers change color from white to purple. With another wave of her hands, from purple to red. "something big's going on. what happened at the school was related to it. I couldn't do this, or anything like it before."

: Akane stops and her eyes sparkle in clear awe. Mitsuo peers at the flower and not really getting it, just arches his ears back and whines a bit. Maybe if he could see colors, but he can sense something. "N-N-Noriko! Are you a witch!?" (LIFE GOAL ACHIEVED: BEFRIEND/BECOME WITCH)

: "hmm..." Noriko thinks about it for a minute. "...maybe? i'm developing a theory about that. I can do more complicated stuff, too. you notice i took a day off? i was skipping, uh.... with Akio. some kids tried to put a curse on me, I used what they left behind to figure out who they were. object reading. it really worked."

: "Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!" Mitsuo howls a little too as Akane is overcome with an Akane's curiosity by your overwhelming reveal. "AKIO?" The face! She makes that face, again!

: "ehehe." she takes on a predatory expression. "he was really conflicted about skipping. it really made me want to sink my talons in! there's something about shy boys..."

: "You're a lady of refined taste too, huh..." Akane is grinning ear to ear now. "And you were cursed? And, uhm.. you scried them back?"

: Noriko laughs loudly, then mimes a look of excessive classiness. "Hmmm indeed, refined taste."

: Akane giggles. "Why don't we just have a harem of shy boys that we bully and abuse?" The two of you whisper about naughty things for a bit before getting back to your revelation.

: "Yeah. I'm not sure how successful they were, but I know who did it. We performed a ritual, with a magic circle and candles and salt and silver... something right out of a grimoire. When the ritual finished there was a series of visions. They had some outside help, somebody from school. also... one of them went into my room, while I was asleep." she shudders. "it really creeped me out! I've been trying to figure out how what to do, but they're just kids... I really need to figure out who's pulling the strings."

: "In your room!? That's awful! What if it gets worse?!" Akane's voice is gripped by strong concern. She prompts Mitsuo to sit at attention, looking up at her. "Maybe you need.. a nice dog. A nice, big dog." Her eyes sparkle as she looks back at you. "Out of a grimoire?! That's so cool!"

: "a dog? probably not in my apartment... but... maybe..." she lets out an audible hmmm "...i wonder if i could get some kind of magic pet? like... a familiar?"

: The two of you arrive at Borderless, where your new friend Jennifer is working today. Akane is instantly smitten with the charm and clutter of the place. "A familiar? Can you really do that?"

: "i don't know yet, i'm still exploring the limits. there's something i've been working on that's too ridiculous to say out loud, and if that works... and somehow, i know it will... anything might be possible. a magic crow or cat or whatever doesn't seem like it'd be too hard."

: It seems Mitsuo's exceptional manners keep him from standing out in the shop. You and Akane walk among the bookshelves, Akane occasionally pointing out things that are a cut above the usual thrift store fare: suicide notes from failed dictators, memoirs of serial killers, a suspiciously hard and slightly hairy leather-bound tome of a human face frozen in mid-wail. Akane perks up and draws your attention to the front counter, where she stops to pick up a ludicrously sweet banana-flavored candy bar. "For my sister." She explains, laughing. "Ahhh, I want a magic crow..."

: "Crows are really cool! when I lived in Osaka, I made friends with some of the ones in my neighborhood. You just have to find some roadkill for them..." She adjusts her glasses. "This is where we got the magic books we used for the ritual. stores like this are rare!" she heads to the counter and produces her pre-order receipt. "Hi Jennifer, I should have had a pre-order come in today..."

: Jennifer adjusts her horns momentarily, which seem to stick for a bit too long until shifting. "Good morning, Noriko. Yes, I believe this is what you ordered." She exchanges the receipt for your [Violent Gravity Hell] OVA, which has a promising bit of quality in the cover art. "Thank you for your business."

: Akane grins. "I can't wait to watch it!" She peers around the store. "Ritual books, huh?"

: Noriko looks down at the cover art and grins. "ahhhh! they really did have Yoshino-sama do the art! The goddess of guts! This is going to be great... I got the HD-Betamax Special Edition after the early preview looked good..." She hands the case to Akane to look it over! Noriko's pretty excited! (betamax for a new era! The retro tech revolution meets blistering 8k! 70mm analog film! It's like seeing it in the theater... during the golden age of cinema!!!) "...hey, uh, Akane... do you have a big TV? Because... I don't." She looks a little embarassed. "I always do this, hahaha...."

: Akane beams. "Yeah! Come on, it'll be great!" The two of you pay up and head back to her place. Akane's room is about what you expect: there's an element of cuteness and darkness to everything, and a lot of space dedicated to the fantastically morbid, spectacularly distasteful, and several guttural and edgy underground band posters. The only saving grace is that the color scheme for the room matches the rest of the very clean, very white condo instead of being painted starkly black. Akane's room is a bit messy, but not worse than anyone you know(or yourself!)

: Noriko will excuse herself to use the rest room at some point and snoop!

Takano's room is the very image of perfect order, a reflection of the old adage that a person's mental state is reflected in their living space. Takano herself is seated at a computer desk wearing a set of very nice headphones, a music player humming along with a catchy orchestral track as she alternates between typing and reading from massive textbooks. Her room is even more starkly white and pristine than the rest of the house and has a few tasteful decorations, including a large wall-scroll of a famous knightly gentleman duo from the popular new DQ Trilogy of movies.

: Returning from the restroom (and light snooping) Noriko takes a moment to press Akane more about The Game. "So... All of this strange energy... What happened at other school, and being able to do magic, it's all got something to do with Digital Devil World. It's a game, but, for some of the players the rules are different, and the scale, too"

: You return to Akane rewinding and rewatching the best death scene they've shown so far: guys getting cut in half by automated machinery and launched into vacuums, where depending on how much was separated from their lungs, modifies the way they explosively decompress. "... Ehh?"

: Noriko laughs. "I should have waited. Gore hound!" "Just to be clear, I know you don't play it, and I'm guessing Takano doesn't, either?"

: Akane shakes her head. "She's too busy for that kinda thing."

: Noriko nods. "yeah, I suppose she has a lot to do..." Noriko looks thoughtful. "...So at first I thought the common factor was that we were all in the game together, but we got some hints to how this all works yesterday night, and I think it's more like some kind of personal gravity... I think if you played, you might have access to power like mine... But I don't think it's without risk. The stakes seem kind of high."

: Akane pauses the movie, sitting on her bed with her elbows down, hands under her chin. "Huh? Uhm.. would I, would I be a witch?"

: "Maybe. I think... It's a reflection of your inner self. Or maybe some idealized version... Ego given form, or something like that. I knew what I was picking when I made my character but the choices came naturally. And just having the potential isn't enough... you have to seize it. I started having dreams after I started playing... At some point I had to choose, even though I didn't know what I was choosing. It might be possible for you." "and if not, it's still a fun game." she shrugs and smiles

: Akane looks skyward for a bit as she daydreams. "My ideal self, huh..." You can see it now, the super coolest queen of darkness, the devil bitch of hell, the awesome empress of doom with the most bitching rad fountains of blood and vicious blood soaked gore powers. "Hee hee hee. Uh.. what do you mean high stakes?"

: Noriko looks a little glassy-eyed for a moment. "hmm. somebody killed the guy who got us into the game. Came to his house and murdered him in cold blood. There's a winner at the end, I guess."

: Akane gawks openly. "Killed!?"

: Noriko nods. "Yeah. And... I almost lost my soul, I think. A lot of what happened at the other school... I think it was my fault. I had to make a deal with the devil. I... don't know what would have happened if I hadn't gone through with it, but I don't think it would have been good. When Takamura died, I panicked. I messed things up for Hideaki with Yoko. That's what we were talking about when you found us on the roof. Some kid from Nekketsu... He called himself Joker. He... He knew about it. He exploited the whole thing to move himself further along in the game."

: Akane looks kinda spooked, for once. Very uneasy. "Noriko, uhm.. you shouldn't do things where you can get killed."

: Noriko shakes her head. "That's everything, Akane. It can come for you at any time. That's... It's funny, I named my character that kind of as a joke, but that's what <Memento-Mori> means. "Remember, you will die. I played too loosely with it, though. There's a difference between taking risks and throwing your life away."

: Akane sits up and crosses her arms. "Won't I be in trouble if I play, then?"

: "If you don't want to worry about taking those risks, that's fine. But I think the outcome of this game is going to be very important. There was a name that came up. Nyalarthotep. You know it?"

: "Of course!" Occult nerds unite!

: "Well, this game is played in cycles, and he's real. I thought hard about it, and the dates line up... HP Lovecraft lived during The First World War... There was other examples, too. Whoever wins this is going to change the world. For better or worse. I don't know what I want out of it, but I know I don't want somebody else to choose for me. So... if you don't play, I'll play for us, ok?"

: Akane smiles. She crawls over on the bed a bit and lunges, giving you a big hug. "Noriko..." She giggles. "I'll think about it, OK? Uhm, I.. I dunno how I feel about.. risking my life.. but I can trust you, I think."

: Noriko blushes, caught off guard by the sudden entry into her personal space! "Um...! I... T-Thank you, Akane! Your trust means a lot to me. I'm... glad I met you." After the heavy moment, she reaches for the remote. "Let's finish this, okay?"

: "Yeah!" Akane playfully shoves you over to reach over and press the play button manually, then the two of you watch the rest of the movie together sitting on her bed, leaning on one another at times to gossip or to cling to each other when THE GORE THEY COULDN'T SHOW YOU BEFORE is too much! To be close enough to somebody to tell them this secret of life and death... and even more amazingly, to let Akane enter your personal space without chills rocketing up and down your spine... you're familiar with the bit of euphoria coming as the air gets a bit heavier.

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Priestess arcana...

Your Soulshell bonus grows to +4 Healing Surge Value!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday
Music

Takashi on the Firing Range posted:

Kaname agrees to your suggestion to hit the range, just the two of you. As he steps away from your door you could swear there's a knowing look in his eye, like he's been expecting this. On Sunday your own morning routine crosses with Kaname's, who himself engages in cardio work on a top end exercise bike pretty often. After a light breakfast before the rest of the house has risen, he asks if you'd be up for shooting now, in the morning.

: "Of course, Oyaji. I'm just glad you had the time - feels like you're always busy with work. I guess you've never been too busy for the family, though."

: "It's how a man handles his time. When something is important you make time! And I've got a good surprise for you today, Takashi. Lets go!" The two of you head to the little secret range, which still has access and a security guard waiting in a small booth to let "members" come and go. As he said, Kaname has quite a treat today. He's brought a few regular firearms to use and one of his gems: an old fashioned magnum. Smith and Wesson Model 29, chambered for .44s. It couldn't be more obvious what movie Oyaji is a fan of!

: "I see you're feeling lucky, Callahan," Takashi smiles at his Uncle, the only father he's ever known, sharing the action movie joke that would sail over all his peers' heads, "planning to stop a bank robbery before lunch?"

: "It had crossed my mind." He invites you to warm up with some of the other guns you've tried already. "Now son, I have the feeling something is on your mind..." He speaks as you two get ready to fire, before head gear has gone on.

: Selecting a modest handgun he had prior luck with, the venerable SIG Sauer P226, Takashi approaches the line and sets his equipment down, turning to face his Uncle, "Oyaji, I don't know where to begin, so I'll just start. One of my classmates had some of her hair stolen from her head while she slept. Someone broke into her home and took it. Other friends have been in danger too, and..." he pauses trying to organize his thoughts, "... and it makes me really mad. Not precisely mad, maybe, but... heated. Like I need to protect them but the rules say I can't. You know I've always been thankful for all you've done for me after my parents were killed and in every way but biological, you and Hanamako are my parents. I can never repay that kindness. And, you know I've never loved your job, even if I've been thankful for all the advantages it gave me... but... what if I've been wrong all this time? Playing by all the rules doesn't stop my friends getting hurt, and what if it gets them killed and I could have stopped it," he finishes in a rush, like a bellows compressed together.

: Kaname is surprised, but composes himself and listens attentively as you let it all out. When you're finished he sets a hand on your shoulder. "Takashi..." He pauses, not afraid to think carefully and let silence play out. "Takashi, why do you follow the rules? Or really, why do all of us do so?"

: "Because, in a really broad sense, society needs that to function. But that falls apart when other people don't follow the rules. It wasn't part of the rules when bad guys stole Matrix's daughter in Commando. It wasn't part of the rules when Cobretti took down the New Order. It wasn't part of the rules for someone to break into my classmates' house, either. What if next time they don't stop at just stealing from her, Oyaji?" though he is animated, Takashi's tone is not disrespectful.

: He nods. "Civil society. When an outlier appears, we're expected to report it. Nicely and neatly and orderly, we wait for the police or government to notice our plight." He shakes his head and begins checking and prepping the Smith and Wesson. "You've grown up to one of the paradoxes in the world, Takashi. As good people we're expected to behave, but as good men..." He grins. "Takashi, if somebody broke into your room to steal from you, or worse, could there be any other reply than to defend yourself? Would you call for help and wait 15 minutes for the good and orderly thing..." He gives you a firm nod and makes sure you're both wearing ear protection before lining up a shot at a target downrange. Kaname focuses for a moment and fires, the famous sound of the magnum even more satisfying in the flesh. Kaname grins and indicates the ear protection, sliding his off again so you two can resume talking. "I think the answer is pretty obvious. We are civilized men in polite society. But we are men when it counts."

: Nodding to his Uncle, Takashi needs some time to process this so he taps his ear protection and when the older man has donned his pair, he puts his own on and picks up his pistol, loading the magazine. Taking aim, finger placed beside the trigger guard, Takashi thumbs the safety off, curling his finger gently into the loop. When he has exhaled a final deep breath he begins pulling the trigger, unloading the 18 rounds as smoothly as he can before taking another breath. As his Uncle taught him, he thumbs the safety back on, removes the magazine, pulls the slide back, locks it in place, and sets the weapon down. After Kaname has fired another few rounds, Takashi waits to engage him again, "When you and my father were my age, did you already know all this stuff, or did you have to learn it? When did you know you had to help society stay civil? And what if... what if I wanted to be part of the family?" the last word carries more weight than simple familial bonds, "I don't know if I can keep living half measures."

: "Hrmm.. now that's a great question. It reminds me of a good story..." He helps you take care to do casual inspection and reload the weapons. Just busy work to occupy your hands for a bit as he starts, telling you old stories you've heard before about how your parents met. Seems ol' Kaname was quite the wing man for your pops, who needed a "bit of help" to realize what a pretty gal was eyeing him in those college years. But then Kaname has a new bit to add, something he's never told you before. "But other men had eyes too, and they thought quite the world of your mother. Seeing my brother bumble around, one of them got very angry... quite full of himself."

: "What happened!?" Having never heard this part of it, Takashi can barely contain his interest, "Did one of these other men try to hurt her? Or him!? Did they come after him instead!"

: Kaname grins cheekily. It's far too obvious he's got your attention, and being the old man with the best story is something he revels in. "Ahh, well..." He doesn't hold back and jumps right into it, of course. "He came at your father. A real aggressive type, almost the total opposite of him! Believe it or not, but back in his school days Satoru wasn't the type to get into fights. He had a knack for talking people down. Made him a lot of friends.. but this man, this Mitsue, he wouldn't relent, even as we tried to get on his good side. He'd try to get one over on Satoru, almost like a line of pranks, and he'e endure it. But one night..." He broods a bit. "Seeing those two on a date, he told me. Mitsue went berserk!" Kaname himself gets fired up, animatedly miming with his fists! "They fought, right there! Knocked tables over and everything!" Kaname stops the miming and holds a practiced story-teller's silence for a bit. "... And do you know what changed everything that night? As Satoru tried to hold Mitsue off, there was a small accident. They knocked a display over, it shattered, and some glass hit Kaoruko-chan. It just cut her palm, nothing serious, but..." He cups his chin. "Satoru felt something he'd never felt before. We had hard lives, but we lived well, safe with our families, boys on their ways to great futures. Seeing that girl get hurt, he beat Mitsue until his nose was a crater, his teeth memories." He chuckles. "And then they tried to arrest him, the police. Those idiots showing up after the fight was held twice and finished."

: Takashi can't help but feel his emotions getting tugged along with the practiced expertise of Kaname's storytelling, "If someone hurt a person I cared about, I'd do the same to them," he holds up an angry fist, imagining his friends in danger, "And that's exactly what I'm talking about! The best police response was 30 minutes late! And missed the whole point!"

: "Maybe that's when we knew we had to take care of our own." Kaname beams at a story well told! Then he suddenly looks really concerned! Shocked, even! "Ehhh?! Join the family?!"

: "Like you and Kouta. I don't know, Oyaji. Maybe I should stop trying to act like I'm above it. It's done so much good, for me and others. People like you who steer it towards being honorable instead of just greedy. Maybe that's my role too, when I'm old enough to be in your shoes. And if that means I have people behind me when it comes time to protect my friends, then that's living up to the original ideals. Merchants and peasants protecting each other when the samurai and the nobles wouldn't."

: "Well... we can discuss that another time, but for now, Takashi, I think you understand what your concern for your friends means. I ah, wouldn't tell you to do anything... well, illegal, you know. But in the heat of the moment, self defense is its own nobility." He carefully checks and then safely offers you the magnum. "... Now, why don't we finish off some of this ammo? You'll have to be very careful here. Of all the myths about this piece, the recoil isn't one!"

: Takashi accepts the monstrous weapon, carefully holding it as he looks back to his uncle, "Alright, Oji-san, but don't think I'm going to forget what I asked." Opening the cylinder, he loads 6 rounds by hand instead of using the speed loader, relishing the feeling of being 'Dirty Harry,' even if only for a brief moment. Aiming the weapon downrange, he lines up a shot at the target's head before putting his finger on the trigger. Thumbing the hammer down, he takes just a moment to get the center of the target lined back up and lets out all his breath. When the trigger reaches actuation the gun leaps like a wild animal, and even though Takashi is prepared for it, it still pulls on his arms trying to send the gun flying into the back wall. His considerable strength saves him from the worst of it, and practice with the smaller gun helps to not lose his aim, but he deliberately recenters and exhales between each shot. When he is done, he checks the cylinder and lays the weapon down, pulling off his ear protection to say, "There is no way anyone could fire this thing one handed!"

You get a belly laugh out of Kaname and the two of you enjoy some quality bonding time. Although it's not a bond unique to you, it is a bond worth nurturing and it carries all the weight and gravity of the other social links... this one established through the relationships your Soulshell(all five of you) has with respected elders!

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Hierophant arcana...

Bolstered by everybody's relationships with their elders, the Hierophant Social Link begins at Rank 2! You gain +2 Attack/Damage/Healing to Support Persona of the Hierophant arcana and the Ritual Caster Feat, as well as One Free Ritual up to Level 6! (Martials/Primals default to Nature, Psionic to Arcane, Arcane is Arcane, Divine is Divine.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday
Music

Tsukiyo's Place posted:

: Manami gives you a swarthy grin as she takes a deep draw from the cigarette. "You said not to smoke at school." Miho replies to the affirmative at hanging out today. She seems to gloss over any mention of Manami, and agrees to meet you in about two hours.

: Two hours... Guess that's quite a bit of time. "Wanna go inside and play something? Brother's probably not using the TV." If Manami insists on smoking inside, maybe Grandma can be more persuasive than herself.

: Manami immediately straightens up and drops the cigarette, stamping it out. "Finally. I've been waitin' for this..." She follows you in, suddenly very attentive.

: Inside the living room, Tsuki immediately heads towards the big plasma TV, turning it on as she picks up a pair of controllers. "There's gotta be some good stuff that aren't those retro fighters that Bro plays..."

: Manami catchs your wrist, to politely stop you. "Hey, boss. I didn't come here for that." Genjuro's already left for the day, and Grandmother usually keeps to herself..

: "...Hm? Well, what did you come here for then?"

: Eyes suddenly fierce, brow furrowed, fists pumped, Manami speaks loudly. "I came here to learn from your dojo!"

: "...Whaaaaaaaaaaat!?" Shocked by this declaration, Tsuki takes a step back. "B-but the dojo's owner is grandma and I'm still only on the third dan!"

: "And?! You're already the strongest person I've ever met!" Manami steps up (too) close to you, clearly pumped up. "Who else could I learn from?!"

: Tsukiyo is clearly flustered by this, her eyes starting to spin. "How could I even teach you something, I never did something of the sort before..."

: Manami crosses her arms and glowers. "Then your grandmother... but it'll be tough..." She relaxes and looks very, very apologetic. "... I liked to smoke here a lot and that old lady always got really mad at me."

: "But I uh... I can try? Grandma is busy at the kitchen so... I guess the Dojo is free." Tsukiyo leads Manami to the building outside of the house, carefully taking off her sandals while doing so. "Take off your shoes too!"

: Manami complies, reminding you of a dog that obeys orders at the moment they're stated. "I'll fight with you for awhile, boss, but you gotta get me in good with uh, boss's boss."

: "I... Well, I guess that's up to grandma, though..." She picks up a pair of shinai, and throws one at Manami's hand. "All right, guess there are some Basic Kata I can teach you. Those things get drilled on your head really hard so I'm sure you can memorize them."

You give Manami some basic drilling until you get a text from Miho that she's in town. The two of you head out to meet her while you dodge Manami's insistence on meeting your grandmother.

: Miho beams when she sees you: "Hi Tsuki!" She looks a bit concerned when she sees Manami. "H-hi, Manami-chan.." Manami curtly responds with a "Yo."

: "Miho-chan. Manami." Tsukiyo crosses her arms authoritively, a serious look on her face. "I called you here because... I want to resolve the stuff between the two of you. It's been a good while since you got bullied, right..."

: Miho turns bright red. "A-a-a-a-a-a-a-actually.."

: "I asked her where you live, that's all."

: Miho fidgets! "Y-you said you'd be really mad if I d-didn't tell you!"

: Manami looks off to the side, eyes closed, smiling smugly. "Yeah. That's right. And... that's all. I'd just be frustrated, cause I wouldn't have the answer I wanted." Miho looks a little surprised!

: Tsukiyo just watches the scene unfold. Hmm hmm hmm, perhaps just as she intended to.

: Miho protests! "Th-that's mean, Manami-san!"

: Manami grins. "Who cares? It worked.."

: "Do you have anything else to say, Manami-san...?" Tsuki tilts her head to the side.

: Manami grin widens, giving you a nice shot of shark teeth... or rather, pronounced canines. "Yeah. How about your grandmother trains us? Then we'll be the new tough gang. We could even thrash with Nekketsu!" Miho looks horrified.

: Tsukiyo stamps her foot on the ground. "Absolutely not! Our school is not meant to be used in aggression, but to defend yourself and those in need! If you can't get to learn that, I won't teach you anything anymore!"

: Manami gawks. "B-b-but boss! Nekketsu always starts poo poo, not us!"

: "Like I care!" Her expression is stern while slamming the shinai's tip on the floor. "The sword should not be used after provocation, and not for petty fights between gangs! But if you want to protect Naoki and the students from the people there, that's another story!"

: Manami glowers, not relenting. "You don't get it, boss! Nekketsu jumps Naoki kids all the time! It ain't provocation, it's fightin' back! You think we're just gonna let them beat us up?!" Forgotten in the exchange, Miho remains quiet, looking much more relaxed.

: "I told you before. To defend yourself... And those in need. If Nekketsu is attacking people from our school, then I'll defend them."

: Manami shouts! "Exactly! We'll kick their asses so bad they'll never start poo poo again!" ... You seem to be going in circles. But you do recall Senpai mentioning that two gangs were plaguing Naoki. You've dealt with Naoki's home-grown problem, it seems the obvious step forward is to take care of rivals encroaching on your turf.

: Miho speaks up, quietly. "Uhm... but why does Nekketsu hate us so much?"

: Manami growls: "They're assholes. Duh."

: "Hush." Tsuki turn to Miho. "I don't know, Miho-chan... I think some friends were going to look into that school on unrelated matters, but..."

: Miho frowns at Manami. "That's not a reason. I mean, didn't you start uhm, your gang, uhm, Manami-san, to be strong?"

: Manami seems to reflexively reach up and cover her right eye for a second, then crosses her arms again very quickly. "Who cares?"

: Miho speaks up forcefully, for once! "Th-that's the most important part! If you had the reason, maybe we could help?!"

: "Wait, does it have something to do... With your scar?"

: Manami scowls. "NO!"

: Miho sweats a little, the conversation now intensely awkward... she looks over to Tsukiyo and manages a polite smile. "But it's nice you could clear up Naoki..." Manami grumbles. "And.. uhm.. I'd be friends with Manami-san.. if she wanted..." Manami turns away and crosses her arms, still steaming.

: Tsukiyo grips harder on the shinai and slams it on the floor again to grab Manami's attention.Intimidate: 1d20+11 22 Manami glares over her shoulder. "Manami-san... You need to help us help you."

: "... what th' hell does that mean?" ... You guess Manami is the absolute last person to have any aptitude for sensitivity.

: "I SAID YOU TELL US IF IT WAS NEKKETSU WHO GAVE YOU THAT SCAR OR I'LL GIVE YOU ANOTHER ONE!" Tsukiyo's voice raises as her expression becomes demonic for a second! ... "I mean, p-please?"

: Manami winces, then grumbles and turns around, holding one arm at the elbow. Her head is lowered, her right eye turned away from you both. "It wasn't Nekketsu... ok?"

: "Ah?"

: Miho crosses over and pats Manami on the shoulder, which seems to.. actually soothe her a bit. Manami looks up and sighs. Miho crosses over to you, Tsukiyo, and pats you on the shoulder too. Then she gradually guides you two closer, so that all three of you are standing nearby as close friends. Manami frowns. "... Yeah." It seems she's holding out on you for now.

: She says nothing, and just hugs the two really tight.

Trying to improve the bonds you share... Manami is a tough case, but you've really come through for Miho since the start of the school year!The air grows heavy during the little shared friend's hug! The three of you spend the morning together, heading out for a bit until your two friends depart for the remainder of the day!

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Temperence arcana...

The Temperance Social Link reaches Rank 3 (I forget if it was 1 or 2 before, so either way) and your Soulshell bonus grows to +4 Flanking/Assist Other, as well as ensuring your Support Personas of the Temperance Arcana have +2 Attack/Damage/Healing!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday
Music

Sunday Morning Brawl With Kunio-Senpai! posted:

: Akio seriously considers not answering, but he had to get that uniform... He sighs in resignation and shoots Kunio a reply. "Okay, I'll be there. Did you get what I asked for?"

: "Yeah, I've got what you need. Hurry up!" Agreeing to meet Kunio at some strange sounding street marked by odd directions using personal references, you eventually piece together where to meet. Kunio and a few of the other older Naoki boys are gathered and relaxing on a trio of benches beside an empty park, not much more company than people walking to early morning errands or walking dogs, giving odd, cautious glances to the small group of boys in school uniforms. Kunio is lounging in the center, not their leader, yet clearly afforded an elder's respect. He gives you the subtlest wink as you approach, but he clearly isn't holding anything like two girl's uniforms. "Akio, my heart soars to see you here today." He checks his watch, the second time since you saw him.

: "Uhh, right. Good to see you too?..." Akio answers with some hesitation. This has got to be the dumbest thing he's ever gotten himself into, which is saying something, sometimes he felt like a magnet for dumb things! He nods at Kunio's watch. "So it's going down soon?... Here in the park? How does this work, we just meet up with some Nekketsu creeps and slug it out?"

: Kunio chuckles and extends an index finger, waggling it to chastise you. "Ah ah ah." He taps his own forehead, indicating amazing cunning. "If we just ran around walloping random students, we'd be thugs. When we get a bead on them, then we'll confront them." He pats the empty space next to him on the bench. "Until then, relax."

: “...Of course, that wouldn’t be very noble of us...” ...as we beat up a bunch of people. A shiver runs through his body as Kunio invites him to sit down, but he takes the seat nonetheless. "R-Right, relax..." He shoots Kunio a nervous look. "So, uh, the uniforms? I can't help but tell you don't have them with you..."

: He leans back and lounges extraordinarily, shoulders pinned back, arms draped across the whole bench. Total relaxation. "Akio, my man... do you know about Nekketsu High?"

: Akio sits leaned forward, nervously rubbing his hands together and looking at the ground. Very much not the image of relaxation. "Um, I don't know much, mostly only hearsay... but I've heard the students there like to throw down. Are you sure we’re not just going to get our asses kicked?"

: "You heard right. Nekketsu is a school where problem students tend to end up... recommendations of teachers, second chances for students with criminal records, that sorta thing. It pools in kids from all over the city." He grins at you. "But Naoki doesn't raise any weaklings, ya know?"

: Oh great, they're gonna be fighting actual thugs, with criminal records! Akio throws a few nervous glances around him, wondering if it was too late to chicken out, before turning back to Kunio and giving him an unsure look. "O-Of course, I'm sure you guys are plenty strong. It's just that, uh, I haven't had much time to, um, soak up the Naoki fighting prowess yet, you know? I've only been to a few karate practices so far... What am I expected to do here, really?"

: "Haven't had time, huh..." Kunio checks his watch again. "Then lend me your ear." He actually goes into a nice, concise history of the founding of the school, but it's the sort of thing you could get from the faculty office in a brochure! "... But five years ago, something went down between us and Nekketsu. They saw we violated one of their sports trophies, some highest honors or somethin', and we aren't the type to let 'em throw around accusations with no proof. There was a big brawl and things have been pretty bad ever since... a fierce rivalry..." He scratches his side and gives you a sidelong look. "Now Akio... what you're expected to do... isn't it obvious?"

: "Yeah, I'm just wondering if I’d... Nevermind." Akio swallows hard. "So, uh, did we actually ‘violate’ their trophy or not?"

: Kunio shrugs. "Who knows? But I'm serious Akio. You know what you're expected to do... you're the one that asked me about it, yeah!" There's no getting around it!

: Getting some weird signals (not that that in itself is surprising, considering who he's talking with), Akio raises an eyebrow in bewilderment. "Uh, I mean... I'm expected to fight, right?"

: Kunio sits up and snorts. "Idiot! You asked me how to get a girl's uniform!" He leans forward, glaring you down. "Hey, you know about the serenity of Naoki, right?" ... Undoubtedly he means the peace of mind one can only get appreciating nature, atop Naoki's one fabled tree. "To think you'd come to me so soon asking a perverted thing like that... it made me very aware of my responsibility as your senpai." He jabs a finger into your chest. "What perverted thing are you up to, eh?"

: Wait, so he was not going to have to be beaten up by a group of hardened criminals after all? Akio would feel relieved if he wasn't suddenly subject to Kunio's pressure! "W-W-What do you mean, perverted thing? Um, didn't I tell you already? I-It's just that I like the way their uniform looks, you know, and, um... It'd be, uh, nice to, um, have one or two in stock for, uh… I mean, wouldn't it be a nice trophy to lord over those Nekketsu curs and show them which is the better school?!"

: "EXACTLY!" He slaps your back and laughs. "I knew you were a good guy, Akio!"

: Akio breathes a sigh of relief. "So, what am I supposed to do, when you throw down?"

: Kunio grins. "It's a modern society, Akio. There'll be a few ladies in the group too. I figure we both win if you just outfight her and snatch her uniform jacket." He gives you a big thumbs up. This is it. This is the death of your dignity. Beating up a teenage girl to steal her clothing. "And ah, not to be... rude, or nothin', but you are kinda small. Might even the odds." No wait, that was it. That was the death of your dignity, cut down in his prime!

: … Wait, WHAT?! Akio begins sweating buckets. This was not what he had planned when he asked Kunio for help with a uniform!!! "H-Hold on... Wouldn't it be better to steal one when no one was looking? How am I supposed to take someone's clothes while they're still being worn!"

: "When no one is looking? And how do you suggest that, heh? We don't go to Nekketsu... and they'll beat the hell out of you if you try and, I dunno, sneak up on 'em. Real life isn't a ninja movie. Besides, you got us backing you!" Another big thumbs up.

: Was that supposed to be comforting?! Akio hangs his head, feeling nervous to the point of being nauseous. "G-Great..." He had expected the act of stealing a uniform to be a bit dishonorable, but wasn’t this a bit too much?!

: You become aware of a few Naoki ladies in the loitering group. This rivalry seems to run pretty deep, though Naoki had its own hooligan problems with the girl gang. Kunio checks his watch again. "Ya know, Akio..."

: Akio lifts his head and looks over to Kunio. "What?"

: One of the goons from under the tree comes jogging up to the group and gets everybody's attention. "Hey, they're headin' out!" Everybody starts getting ready and Kunio gets up, patting you on the back again. "For a minute there I was worried about you. No need to hop from being a pervert to being a degenerate, right? Hahahaha!"

: "Ha... Right." Akio gets up as well, but he can feel his legs shaking. His course was already locked in now. Oh god… Would he really be able to do this? They had to get that uniform, they had to get it to learn more about Joker. It was a question of life or death. But did it have to be done in such a skeevy manner?! At least, looking on the bright side of things, he could not possible sink any lower than this... Wait, how was that supposed to be a bright thought?!

: Kunio keeps talking as he walks. "There's the feud, sure, but things are kinda tough around Naoki, around Kobe. You see a lot of punks and crooks these days, you know?" He cracks his neck as the two of you walk at the head of the small pack of a dozen people, looking like a huge group of friends enjoying their Sunday together, menacingly! "It's important to take care of your own community." It's that weird air of mature responsibility that inexplicably appears around him at times... considering he taught you how to view the ah, best of the community.

: "Yeah, you're right about that..." Akio nods emphatically, but he was not so sure that beating each other up would do anything to better the situation. Then again, wasn’t that exactly what they had to do in DDW to win? "We have to do this to protect those we care about, right?" He adds.

: "That's just for fun. Keeps both sides sharp." Kunio is occasionally peeking over at you out of the corner of his eye, smirking. "Protect those we care about, huh..." Everybody keeps walking, crossing over the city streets, heading towards Nekketsu turf. "Who do you care about, Akio?" He asks nonchalantly, which is more of a master's craft with this guy.

: "Oh, you know, my friends and family. Isn't that natural?" Akio tries to pass it off with a shrug, not liking where this was headed! Bluff: 1d20+5 15

: Kunio waggles an eyebrow. "Is that so... I see now... it's all falling into place..." Kunio drapes an arm around your shoulder and lowers his head to be eye level with you, grinning cheekily. Danger! Danger! Akio tries to break eye contact, but he finds himself frozen solid! "You need that uniform...." Akio desperately tries to look away, but he just can't! A large bead of sweat rolls down his forehead. "... for your gal. How lewd!" He laughs and backs off, slapping Akio's back again. Akio begins blushing profusely. Though his deduction was slightly off, he’d much rather Kunio had not figured out that he had someone special!

: He leans back in immediately and nudges you in the ribs. "Who is she, eh?" Boy, there sure is a lot of road between here and Nekketsu, presumably.

: "Um, she’s a classmate of mine. I don't think you know her." Akio responds, trying to get away with saying as little as possible.

: "Oh! Ho!" Kunio's eyes gleam as he cups his chin. "Your class.. the first year... My God... the fiery Chavez, the enigmatic younger Hattori, the darling little Mitsugu, the radiant Kasaya, the beautiful Tanabe... Miyagawa, Yamazaki, Kawakami, Aoyamam! So many blooming flowers in the garden of life!" Ah, did the great pervert sage make a mistake? Aoyamam is kind of an overweight girl...

: "Aoyamam?..." How could he list her but fail to mention Noriko?! Suddenly, Akio is staring daggers at Kunio. "Hey idiot, aren't you forgetting someone?! I thought you were supposed to know your stuff..."

: His expression becomes stern ... ! "Don't be so shallow!" ... ! ! ! "In every girl in Naoki, there is a beautiful soul!"

: "Wait, you're the one calling me shallow?!" Akio's stares wide eyed at Kunio. He had not seen that one coming! "Uh, yeah, you're right, of course. But that wasn't the point I was trying to make..."

: "Well? Who is it?" Your group has come to a stop in the corner of Nekketsu's school walls, hiding off street. Seems two of them are watching for something. Kunio checks his watch again.

: "She's not one of the ones you listed." Akio replies with a somewhat annoyed tone. He then sighs in resignation, Kunio would find out sooner or later anyway. Might as well tell him. "Noriko Mori... Why do you keep looking at your watch?"

: "Oh!!!" Kunio cups his chin again after checking his watch, again. "The dark flower of the freshman class..." He checks his watch again. "You know how we can't just jump random students, yeah?"

: Akio furrows his brow. "It's Sunday. How do you know which time the correct students will appear? Surely they don’t have a schedule you can follow...?"

: Kunio grabs you by the shoulders and throws you out so that you're in motion when the entire group darts out of the alley, confronting a group of Nekketsu track stars on their practice!!! Loud shouts rise from both sides!

"Naoki scum!"

"HOT BLOOD PUNKS!"

"GET THE gently caress OUT OF HERE!"

"Where do you get off on stalking around here?!" Already small duos and trios are splitting off to confront each other, taking fighting stances. Under the good guidance of fate, you seem to be stuck close to Kunio..

: Abruptly thrust into combat, Akio does his best to take up the karate stance he's been practicing, as well as searching for a... um... girl to fight. The only comforting thought in his head is that at least she can't be as terrifying as Madoka, so this should be a breeze!

: Ah, yes. You consider yourself fortunate you won't be facing down Madoka, a naturally tall and competitive athletic type. Instead you confront the mixed Nekketsu track team, which itself is full of menacing tall girls with toned builds. Oh, and there's a red head shooting you a death glare.

: Ah, poo poo... Couldn't they have picked a fight with the chess club instead? These guys even had practice on a Sunday, that's hardcore! Akio shrinks a bit under the redhead's glare, but tries to psych himself up... No luck, this entire scene was just so ridiculous! Maybe if he can make her throw the first punch it'll make it feel more OK to fight back? Following that excellent line of logic reasoning, he decides to try to taunt her. "Eh, I didn't come here to fight a girl, there's no glory in beating you up. Just get outta my way, crazy eyes."

: That'll do it. Ol' crazy eyes and a Nekketsu boy rush you... ...It seems your sword isn't appearing in your hand.

: Woah, hey, two on one?! Akio quickly assumes a defensive stance, trying to ward them off as best he can while he attempts to gauge whether they're better at fighting than him, but truth be told he had an inkling...

: That redhead comes your way and goes for an round-house that'd take your head off. Something guides you, a previously unknown instinct guiding you to evade the blow!

: Yikes, she means business! Akio attempts to counter with a kick to her leg!

: Your blow is easily blocked, and then the other boy is pressing in from your side to deck you. It seems your great career in fisticuffs is about to get its first loss!

: Threatened by an attack from the side, Akio reacts instinctively and tries to ward himself with... a booming thunderclap!? Countering Thunderclap vs Fortitude: 1d20+15 18 1d6+12 13

Throwing your arms out wildly, you cast the boy back a step with a crack of air. Barely creating some distance, you narrowly avoid a good hook to your chin. Your forearm is numb up to the elbow, and your ears ring a bit. In the midst of the brawl, it's hard for everybody to keep track of the small fights, but crazy eyes and the boy are staring in shock for a second... before Kunio strides in and delivers a crushing straight to the side of the boy's head, knocking him clean out!

: Holy poo poo, he'd just used a Swordmage power in real life?! Akio is every bit as shocked as his opponents. Sure, he'd done magic with Noriko before, but this had happened so... intrinsically. This wasn't like in other school either, this was the normal, real world. Akio only recovers from his momentary lapse after Kunio comes in with the assist. He gives him a quick thankful nod, then attempts to strike at the redhead, but only manages to flail ineffectively at her. Attack: 1d20 2

: The girl scowls. "What the hell are you trying to do, kid?!" You catch a glimpse of Kunio giving you a wink after he bodily tosses somebody into a bush.

: "Uh, fight you?" Akio throws her a confused look.

: Your vision suddenly flashes white as something cracks lightning across your chin! The redhead has closed in and given you a proper punch! "DO YOU THINK NEKKETSU IS THAT WEAK!?"

: Akio shakes his head, seeing double. Alright then, it's on! He reaches back and throws his fist at her with all his might. Unfortunately, he only manages to hit her mirror image, and stumbles forward. Curses!

: HURK! Your horrible martial prowess leads to you being held in a headlock from behind by the quick redhead. "Yield, bastard!"

: "Woah, hey now, let’s talk about this!" Akio grasps her arm and tries to pull himself free, but it won’t budge! With only his legs free, he instead tries to kick up a shower of sand in her face.

Her grip tightens and she yells in your ear, full of fury and rage! You feel a bit lightheaded...

: "Hup!" From behind, Kunio thrusts his hands under her armpits and lifts up, separating and locking her arms! "NOW, AKIO!" Crazy eyes looks bewildered!

: This was not the time to hesitate, Akio goes in for the knockout punch! Honor and nobility had been the first casualties of the fight today, anyway.

: ... ! Kunio does a 180 and takes your full fury(?) to his shoulder blade, noticeably wincing. He spins back around and frowns at you. "... Unbutton her jacket, you idiot!"

: "W-W-WHAT?!" Crazy eyes turns bright red. All around you there's still a lot of fighting going on!

: "O-Oh, that’s what you meant..." Akio hesitates, feeling extremely embarrassed. "Um, I'm so sorry about this!" He fumblingly reaches for the buttons on her jacket with trembling hands, accidentally grazing her where he shouldn’t in the process! “Sorry! I didn’t mean to! I’m so sorry!” He cringes horribly as he continues and undoes the last of the buttons.

: "STOP! STOP! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS YOU PERVERT!?" ... As your self esteem dies horribly, you unbutton her Nekketsu school uniform jacket. She's wearing an athletic top underneath, so at least you're not a completely horrible person. Just an awful one. Kunio makes one smooth move and drops the lock, then grabs her jacket from behind and pulls, yanking her twice. Once to move the jacket down her arms, and again to pull the two apart. Crazy eyes takes a swing at you and staggers away, arms crossed. Mission accomplished. If college students in America have panty raids, you've just snatched most of a uniform! Kunio flashes you another winning thumbs up.

: Akio has a look of utter disbelief on his face. He just can’t believe he actually did that! He scratches the back of his head and looks at Kunio. "Uh... we should probably beat it."

: Kunio pats you on the back and hands you the jacket. "Yeah, yeah... things'll get awkward if any of us actually get caught, yeah." He waves at you to follow him, as there's an art to sneaking out of a brawl.

: Akio follows, throwing a concerned look over his shoulder as they sneak out.

... ! Something clues you in... a premonition... The track boy Kunio decked, he's risen! And embedded in his soul is something ethereal, unseeable, unknowable, except to the one who put it there... a Mark! He's rushing straight at Kunio from his blind side, a guaranteed collision!

: "Hell no, we're done here!" Akio throws out his hand in the air, and as the track boy is about to crash into Kunio there's a brief flicker of a silver aegis, then something unseen smacks him across the face with great force! He suddenly appears on the other side of Akio and tumbles into the dirt. Transposing Lunge vs AC: 1d20+18 28 2d8+11 19

As you invoke your power, the air flickers and bleeds into static several times. First around you, then the track boy, then the both of you before resolving... to everyone around you, and soon to your own recollection, you intercepted the charging boy and used his momentum to flip him over your side, slamming him to the ground. Kunio looks back to you in shock, then in gratitude, grinning at you. The two of you flee the scene and catch your breath a block or two away...

: "Everybody knows..." Huff, huff. "How to split after a good brawl..." Huff huff. He grins and offers you a fist to bump. "Thanks for the save, Akio."

: "You too, Kunio. Thanks." Akio half-heartedly returns the fistbump then looks down at the Nekketsu jacket in his hands… Well, he’d gotten what he was after. But was it truly worth the cost?! "I suppose we should play it cool and split up too?"

Kunio agrees and the two of you split up, the bond between you and the pervert Senpai regretably growing. The air grows heavy with shame and anxiety, as well as the usual pull of destiny!

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Hanged Man arcana...

Your bonus to Support Personas of the Hanged Man arcana increases to +2 Attack/Damage/Healing!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday
Music

Hanging With Lil' Ryuka posted:

You get a flood of awkward texts from Ryuka, in response to your response! "If you wanna go here, that's cool..." "Or maybe here.." "Uhm, I wanna go here, I guess." "Or here" "Here's good too" "If you want." "If it's not too much trouble!" "Uhm, meet me at <Arcade> in a bit!" At the Arcade, you can pretty easily spot Ryuka, whose distinctive hair color and style stick out... at least, enough that you can see her and not mistake her for a little kid. She's dressed kinda crummily, like a neet forced to endure the outside world to hit a corner store or something. Blandly colored clothes and sweat pants... She doesn't notice you arrive because she's playing what looks like a fighting game.

: "Sure thing!" Itsumi texts in response. Once she gets to the arcade, Itsumi stands next to Ryuka and patiently waits for her round to finish before greeting her. "Hey!! What's up?" she says cheerfully, hopefully letting Ryuka explain why she suddenly wanted to meet without having to press.

: Ryuka seems startled by your voice, which is outstanding since she asked you to meet her here. She peers up at you and mumbles something too quiet to hear.

: "I sorry, I can't hear you," Itsumi says with a frown. "Is everything ok?"

: She turns red at the cheeks and looks away, shaking her head a lot. "I-I'm ok.. uhm, it's nice to see you, uh, er.. Sumi."

: Itsumi flashes a smile towards her once again. "It's nice to see you too, Ryuka-chan! How's it going?"

: Ryuka turns back to the game and fidgets with the controls. It's Hex Maidens 3: Alchemical Love, a fighting game about sassy witch girls dueling over the ultimate love potion. Her character is waiting in an idle animation loop as the other half of the game waits for a NEW MAIDEN!!! "It's ok.. I had to ditch Mutsumi and Hiroko today.. I'd die if they saw me doing this.."

: "Really? That's awful! There's nothing wrong with playing games at all!"

: Ryuka sticks out her tongue and frowns. "No!!! If they saw me asking you for help.." She offers the other side of the machine to you, for the 2nd player controls.

: "Ooh," Itsumi says with a chuckle. "Don't worry, I won't tell them!" She then takes over the controls. She's never played any of the Hex Maidens series before, but she's played enough games to get comfortable with the controls after a few moments.

: There seems to be a Druid girl with a sun-flower alt color set who is good at rush-down moves and self-buffing. Ryuka is playing one of the zoning characters, a top-hat wearing bunny-girl with a classic children's book motiff, the wonderous Alice.

: Itsumi plays as the Druid and gets ready for combat. Her first round she spends getting used to the various moves that her character has. Buffing and quick strikes fit perfectly into Itsumi's style. ( Arcana: 1d20+4+1 20 )

: Arcana 28 Ryuka's experience shows as she boxes you out repeatedly and juggles you into False Incantation Cancels and like to chain together Hex Combos, leading up to Grimoire Busters! Alice tends to spam small critters like oysters and clams, rabbits, animated clocks and hats and the like.

: Itsumi graciously accepts defeat, complimenting Ryuka in the process, "Hey! You're pretty good at this game!"

: When you look over to Ryuka, you catch her looking at you with the cheekiest, smuggest smile. Her awkward shyness has melted away in the wake of a chance to feel utterly superior~

: Itsumi smiles back. "Good game!" she says in a cheerful tone. "Go again?"

: Like a little kid, Ryuka gets totally into it and nods excitedly. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many times Ryuka can play this game and have fun thrashing even a newbie.

: Itsumi takes up the controls again, and promptly gets defeated handily by Ryuka once more. After the game, she says "Man, good game! I don't believe how good you are at this!" She pauses for a moment then asks, "So um... what did you need help with, Ryuka-chan?"

: Ryuka is now laughing under her breath, an aura of narcissitic evil welling up around her face. It's almost unbearably smug... then she shorts out a bit when you get back to business. "Uh.. uhm.. well.. that is..." She fidgets a lot, again, wringing her hands together before biting her lip and snapping at you! "How can you be like that?!?!?!?"

: "Be like what?" Itsumi says, slighlty tilting her head in confusion.

: "AAAGGHH! LIKE THAT!" She flails both hands for a bit and then points up at you, outrageously and unreasonably indignant! "Every day in student council you're like that too! You try so hard to help everybody and you're always so happy!!! And even that weird weasel guy is always bugging you too!"

: "Well... I just genuinely like people!" Itsumi says. She hesitates before adding "...that doesn't mean it's always easy though. There are days where I don't want to, but I just push myself through it... I figure the rewards are worth the discomfort. Not all of the attention is always great either, but it's still worth it helping people and making them happy!"

: She hears you out, looking like she doesn't quuuuite get it yet. "Huh... well... that's what I want your help with! I... wanna be popular too..."

: "Okay!" Itsumi says. "I can help with that! The first thing you need to do is get comfortable talking to other people... you just need some confidence is all!"

: She immediately turns her head and sighs. "Don't wanna. Other people are dumb."

: Itsumi frowns slightly, "well... other people are what make you popular though! You won't get popular if you don't talk to them and get to know them!"

: Ryuka grumbles and keeps turning away, presenting her downcast back to you as she hangs her head. "That's stupid.. can't they just like me?"

: "Well, friendship is a two-way street! Would you like someone that doesn't like or care about you?"

: Ryuka peeks back at you. "If they were cool." H-how shallow.. is there any hope for this little rabbit?

: "Well, don't most people get to be cool by making friends and helping others so people know that they're nice?"

: She tilts her head. "I really don't get it. Just tell me what to do?"

: "Okay! So what you can do is sit near me in lunch and just talk to my friends as practice. Your friends can come too, but you can't just talk to them, you've gotta talk to everyone! Then once you're comfortable we can start branching out more!"

Taking in your advice, you can feel a sorely needed bond filling with this socially tone-deaf introvert. You also spend some time playing other games with her, giving the gloomy little shut-in a bit more sunshine in her Sunday. It's kind of like having a younger sibling... who isn't a terrible boy!

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Magician arcana...

Your Soulshell gains +1 Attack/Damage/Healing to Support Personas of the Magician Arcana, as well as a +1 Skills Bonus!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday
Music

Akio: You head for the arcade later in the afternoon, as you're quite busy doing dirty deeds with your good friend Kunio. It was earlier this week that you saw a commotion here! And it seems to be repeating, as a young man is dominating the Hex Maidens 3: Alchemical Love cabinet, taking all challengers and sending them packing. He's on a monstrous streak, as indicated by the consecutive boiling cauldron icons in the corner of the screen! 23 wins!

: The chatter of the crowd is silenced as a young man old enough to be an esteemed Senpai(yet a bit shorter than Kunio, yet still as tall as you) leans around the machine cabinet and gestures. "Who's next? Come on! You can't put a race horse down in his prime, I'll go crazy fighting this dumb AI!" His gaze searches the crowd for a second before settling... on you! "... Well well well! I heard the rumors, but I didn't think it was true!" His voice is friendly, confident, and loud! "A Black Hat main!? You must be the owner of those nasty initials combo breaking the high score screen!"

In the Evening: Don't have anything better to do? Noriko invited you for an evening walk! A young couple spending time together... it boosts your Charm by +1.

---

Itsumi: Spending some time with Ryuka, you ask her about her perception of the Student Council. Although she isn't good for reading or talking to people, she tends to be ignored a lot. She practically hides from social interaction, so... a surprisingly useful trait. She tells you that Ichiro always leaves Council early on days you don't attend, saying he has "somewhere important to be." You also trade a few texts in a fishing way with your peripheral friends and a few friend of friends, passing it off as blowing off steam about school life or asking about rumors concerning Ichiro or Chizuru. You also figure that since you're actually on the Student Council, maybe pulling a few files from the school itself and browsing them on your time off might yield useful information?

History 10, Dungeoneering 26, Diplomacy 24, Streetwise 33

Nothing unusual or potent in the school files. Ichiro is an only child, an intelligent honor student(or is it because he has others carrying his workload?!) on the Student Council and in the Math Club. Seems he is cramming very hard to get into a top school at the end of this year or the next. Chizuru has several minor incident reports and notes on her school file, known as a problem child with a lot of seedy interactions with older men. Some of your classmates think they've seen the two interact a bit, but maybe as off-hand friends or something. Nothing concrete. It's frustrating! Ichiro always covers his tracks, despite the circumstantial evidence swirling around him and your own involvement with his obvious crimes. You gain a +4 Bonus to your next two Skill Checks involving Ichiro/Chizuru... but your leads feel scarce, and aside from shaking down Tadao you're not entirely sure what you can do...

Evening: You've still got some time left in the day. What do you do?

---

Noriko: You decide to stake out the Nishiyama household, where you returned shoes to the abode of the crook in the case of the stamped flowers. His creepy old grandmother had walled you off and insisted her little boy was up to no good, but thanks to the occult you knew better! Taking up a hiding spot in her overgrown lovely yard, you use Stealth 33 and One with the Shadows to blend in for a stakeout. You find yourself wishing, after the first two hours, that you had brought something to eat... but this is serious! Who knows what a bunch of dirty little boys might steal from a girl's room next time?!

... You're realizing after the third hour that these things don't go as smoothly as they do in TV. It's a bit hot and irritating to sit outside for so long. But your attention is snapped back into hyper focus when something alerts your senses, finally! The old woman is leaving her house, pausing to lock the door and double check the knob and the deadbolt with fastidious care. You mark the time... 12 Noon... and deduce that the relative silence in the rundown home suggests nobody is home. Once the old woman is gone you figure a bit of further investigation is safe and check around the front of the house, soon spotting a neglected mail bin stuffed to overflowing. Most of it is reminders for credit card debt and useless flyers for tacky stores. There's also a pair of notices that almost seem out of place, notifications of extreme truancy, printed in bold words from a school council on the front of the envelope.

You feel very pressured in the middle of the day and not knowing when she'll return, so you resume your stake-out to get that critical info. It seems the lady of the house needs a few hours to do her errands. Maybe later you could try breaking in or something... but you really need to go meet Akane now!

Evening: Later you go for a nice walk, intent on meeting up with Akio. A young couple spending time together... it boosts your Charm by +1.

---

Takashi: You join forces with Masami for an easier dungeon dive in DDW, making a tight compact party with his Sorcerer and another friend's Rogue. The overwhelming force strategy is risky, but appealing to your stream gets the attention of a nice cute girl Leader to round things out with a healer. The perks of fame...

: There's your childhood best friend Masami, as a spell slinger.
: And the new kid at school who was a fan of your stream, Jun, playing a semi-mechanical faceless Rogue type.

: (Masami's Avatar) "Ah, so cool, Takashi! Your guy is so tough but he hits like one of us!"

: (Jun's Avatar) "You're really making me regret my class pick here, there's a lot to be said for charging in if you always win, huh..."

Although you set out for PvP, you've come to the dungeon at everybody's insistence to do something productive until you actually find other players. Smashing monsters at your new level is effortless, even scaled down to sync with the rest of the group!

Evening: Later, you give a grand streaming tour of the Mindscapes you and your Soulshell have put together. It gets a good reception and a boost to your channel popularity, granting you +1 Charm!

---

Tsukiyo: While you're out with Miho and Manami, you stop by a small bookstore on the way. Looks like a real quaint and independent place, something about No Borders or whatever. You buy a pair of popular teen vogue magazines and study the tips with as much real dedication as schoolwork, resolving to practice the "developed and tested by experts!" tips on looking cuter. It may seem obvious to anyone else, but for a tough girl like you it's enough to grant a concrete +1 Charm!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 20, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hound and Racoon

By use of stealth or invisibility, you avoid blundering into anybody's line of sight... or well, just blundering into making a very loud noise. Before the antics occur, your party gets into position:

And wait for the explosion, which reliably comes(that's -1 Exploding Doggo Satchel Charge!)

This sets off the waiting patrols and other characters nearby for sure, but:

The path ahead is open! You even pass by a chest on the way:

quote:

Boots of Sand and Sea (Level 10 Heroic, Feet Slot)
Well-crafted wax-coated leather boots for the man at sea, providing sturdiness yet remaining flexible in case he goes overboard. A gorgeous golden-brown tan with designs threaded around the feet of crashing surf.
Passive: +1 Speed(Item Bonus) when wearing Light or No Armor
Encounter(Free Action): Gain +5 to an Athletics check to Swim

You all meet up in the run across the Eastern Path, heading for the Northern exit! Up ahead you can see distant ruins and a rising reverse waterfall/river flow(?!) and dapper little gondolas manned by handsome kittens wearing little vests and straw hats. You can guess it's simply a matter of getting aboard and riding back to the entrance, where the gate should be open on Caitte's word and action. In fact, you can see a gondola is already moored against the stone bridge and the little black cat he transformed to is manning it, waving at you with one paw to climb aboard!

A dramatic *SPLOOSH* interrupts your great escape as a massive, boulder-sized mane erupts from the water in a vibrant shade of Guardian Green, landing between you and gondola on the narrow stone path!

<Sir> Heart, of [Gank Inc.]!!! He warily regards your group for a moment, massive triple-blade gauntlet raised for a moment. Then he raises his other hand and presents his palm in a gesture for you to "STOP." Despite his clear existence as a hostile, he doesn't present any fighting intent... Caitte yowls angrily from behind the new threat and Raccoon and Hound let out a simultaneous "YIPES!", Raccoon conjuring up his spirit and bounding ahead of the group with totem out!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 4, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Memento-Mori \\ Hound and Raccoon

Mori pauses to consider the new challenger, her expression shifting into a ghoulish smirk. "you again? where are your friends? gankers don't like to die alone"

pre:
Memento-Mori   						 
HP: 69/69 (THP: 0)       AC:   26    Passive Insight: 17
Surges: 3/7 (V: 19)      For:  21    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +14   	 Ref:  25    Action Points: [0]
Speed: 7                 Will: 27    Vision: Darkvision
Languages: Common, Deep Speech

At Will			Encounter			Daily			Fortune [2/2]
One with Shadow     [ ] Sign of the Golden Ram      [X] Phantom Chasm           [ ] Tarukaja 
Ghost Sound         [ ] Grasping Shadows            N/M Horrid Whispers         [ ] Foul Breath
Light               [ ] Maze of Mirrors             [ ] Visions of Avarice      [ ] Mamudoon
Mage Hand           [ ] Phantom Foes                N/M Tasha's Frcbl Conscrp   Special
Prestidigitation    [ ] Echoing Dirge               [ ] Mirage Arcana           [X] Crown of Madness
Winged Horde        [ ] Hekiah's Trance		    N/M Phantasmal Killer       [ ] Bat Form
Illusory Ambush        Encounter Utility	       Daily Utility
                    [ ] Orb of Deception	    [ ] Wizard's Escape
                    [ ] Shadow Warp		    [X] Circle of Antipathy
                    [ ] Twisting Fortune            [ ] Mini Khakkara Orb
		    N/M Dispel Magic 		    N/E Thought Eater Armor
                    [X] Monk's C. Casual Robes	    [ ] Amulet of Resolution
		    [ ] Orb of Nimble Thought       [ ] Band of Venom
                    [ ] Second Wind                 [ ] Blood-Soaked Chanters
						    [ ] Headband of Intellect
                                                    [X] Bracers of Escape

Passives:
+1 to Push, Pull, and Slide effects caused by Memento-Mori
Can speak and understand Abyssal as long as Gem of Colloquy is equipped
Arcane illusion power hits give Mori combat advantage vs Target UEONT (or until save on save powers)
+2 damage on psychic powers
Auto-Sukukaja - roll first non-fate attack in a combat twice, take higher roll
When spending an action point to take an action, one creature within 5 squares takes ongoing 5 psychic dam (save ends)
Enemies that enter space or start turn within 3 squares take a -5 penalty to saving throws against charms and -2 to all other saves
Enemies take -2 to saves against wizard powers
When interacting with creatures that have an origin other than natural, use Arcana or Religion in place of Diplomacy and Intimidate
Regeneration 2

Weakness: Fire, Radiant

Rank 1 Academics * - [+1 Int/Wis skills]
Rank 2 Charm * - [+2 Dex/Cha skills]
Rank 2 Courage ** - [+2 Str/Con skills]

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Sunday Morning

As the hours pass, Noriko finds herself increasingly drained from the boredom. This was worse than that streaming series, Big Iron Hammer, the show about a japanese boy who crashed in a dirigible with his noble parents in the 1800 western united states and became a divine gunslinger! For some reason after coming back to japan all he did was talk about cows and occasionally shoot bandits off-camera...

Noriko takes one of the truancy notices with her, figuring if it's gone unnoticed up until now, it's not going to be noticed later. Making note of the time, she resolves to check back periodically as time allows during the week to try to figure out what the woman's schedule was.

Noriko // Sunday Evening

Noriko meets up with Akio about a block away from her house. She's wearing the same outfit she wore to see Akane - white button-up blouse with the sleeves rolled up, a simple black vest covered in various buttons and pins, a black skirt that goes a bit past her knees, stockings and a pair of well worn black boots. She's leaning on a shovel when he arrives, waving to him with her free hand. "hey, thanks for coming with me tonight." she smiles. "oh, ummm... i heard there was a pervert running around, so i brought this shovel..." she looks a little embarassed. "i'm sure you'll keep me safe but just in case, heh."

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 5, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Sunday Evening

After biding farewell to Miho and Manami, Tsuki returns home and takes her phone out, sending a message to her Soulshell friends.

quote:

Tsukiyo: So guys... About Nekketsu.
Tsukiyo: We are going there to investigate, but there's something else about that place that I want to do.
Tsukiyo: Those jerks are the ones attacking Naoki students. Since I disbanded Naoki's gang, I guess it's up to us to stop them as well.

Flagelo - H&R

Flagelo unsheathes her sword with a defiant expression. "...Round two?"

pre:
Flagelo   						 
HP: 96/96 (0)	        AC:	27	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 7/12 (V: 26)   For:	25	Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +11		Ref:	22	Action Points: 0
Speed: 5		Will:	19	Fortune Points: 1/2
Languages: Common, Giant	Vision: Normal

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Duelist Assault		[ ] Second Wind		       [x] Quick Fullblade
Battle Wrath          	[ ] Sohei Flurry	       [ ] Great Tutor Armor
Berserker's Charge      [ ] Stone's Endurance          [ ] Wildrunners
Banchou's Pride         [ ] Power Strike               [x] Belt of Lucky Strikes
                        [ ] Sohei Parry                [x] Sharpshooter  
                        [ ] Ignore Weakness            
                        [ ] Trip Up
                        [ ] Masterstroke
                        [ ] Clearheaded
                        [ ] Zephyr of the Burning Sands
                        [ ] Strikebacks

Fate
[ ]Storm Strike

Passives:.
Roll Twice on Ath rolls to Jump or Climb
Sword: +2 all defenses against opportunity attacks
Wildrunners: When Running, Move your Speed +4.
+2 Damage +2 Bull Rush when Charging
When Charging: Push Charged Enemy 1 Square, take his place.
Can reroll first attack in encounter and use either result
Can spend action point to reroll any roll instead of taking another action
Sword: When using Power Strike can slide all adjacent enemies 1 square
+1 Item bonus to Opportunity Attacks
If bloodied can use two healing surges instead of one
When using Fortune or Action Point, gain +2 to all defenses UEoTN
+1d6 damage when charging
Sharpshooter: Hit enemy gets -2 to ranged/area attack rolls UEOTN
Spear: +2 Damage when Charging
MBA with Spear aims Reflex or AC

Overseer

Hound - +1 Fort, +2 Against Forced Movement

Support Persona
Bake-kujira (Hierophant)
Mazionga  (+14 vs Reflex, Range 5, Burst 1, All Creatures. Deals 2d4+7 Lightning Damage)
Tentarafoo (+14 vs Fort, Close Burst 2, Enemies Only. -2 Reflex/Will UEONT)
Passive: Immune Lighting / Reflect Necrotic
Weakness: Radiant, Force at 50% Damage Taken

Rank 1 Academics - [+1 Int/Wis Skills]
Rank 2 Charm * [+1 Dex/Cha Skills]
Rank 2 Courage *** [+2 +Str/Con Skills]

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Akio // Sunday - After the Brawl

Feeling like he needs to lie low for a while and, more pressingly, take his mind off his foul deeds, Akio heads to the arcade. On the way there he picks up his phone and sends a group text to the Soulshell.

Group Chat

quote:

Akio: Hey everyone, my contact helped me, uh, get my hands on a girl's Nekketsu uniform jacket.
Akio: So now we just need one more to go through with our plan.
Akio: Also, don't ask...

Akio // Sunday - Arcade

"Mm, yeah, that would be me. They call me the Black Mage of Kobe." Akio flashes a wide grin. "...And you're the loudmouth that's been causing a commotion at my arcade, huh. Good! Stomping the same people over and over gets old after a while, I'm sure you know."

Exuding the confidence he can only find at the arcade, Akio walks up to the opposite side of the dueling machine and shoots his opponent a cocksure look. "Ready to defend your streak, new guy?"

Arcana: 1d20+25 35

Akio // Sunday - Evening

For understandable reasons Akio is not wearing the same clothes he wore this morning, having stopped by home after the arcade to change into dark skinny fit chinos, a black button-up shirt and his usual boots. "Hey, Noriko, thanks for letting me come. Ah, that outfit looks great on you..." he smiles shyly at her, then throws a curious look at her shovel. "Umm... We're not going to dig up something that could get us into trouble, right?..."
"...A pervert?! How, uh, I mean, w-what have you heard?" He asks, seeming flustered! He averts his eyes and looks down at the ground. "Um, anyway... it's good that you're careful, I got worried when you said you like to take walks outside at night, all alone..." He lifts his eyes and looks at her again, a bit red in the cheeks. "But you can feel safe with me, I'll protect you. You've noticed it too right? We have some of our powers in real life, too..."

Ambrose // Hound and Raccoon

Ambrose quickly steps forward between <Sir> Heart and the rest of the party and points his spellblade at him, while at the same time grabbing Raccoon by the scruff of his neck to cut his foolish charge short.

"You've run into him before?" He asks over his shoulder without taking his eyes off the armored figure. "You don't look like the other guardian cats. What do you want?" He glares at him with suspicion.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 6, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Sunday Evening

"of course i've noticed. the shovel's so I can bury them when I'm finished." Noriko's glasses glint ominously in the moonlight! "heh heh heh...."

She adjusts her glasses and smiles, tilting her head to the side a little. "really, the shovel's for road-kill. sometimes I'll pick things up on walks and dump them in the park for carrion eaters..." she suddenly seems to realize what she's saying and looks embarrassed. "oh! that's... that's really weird, isn't it? I'm sorry... I was talking to Akane today and got thinking about familiars... I thought I might make friends with some crows."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Nodding, Itsumi replies to Tsukiyo in the group chat:

quote:

> That sounds like a great idea
> We'll just have to be careful about blowing our cover!

Itsumi will spend the rest of Sunday studying.

Sometime during the evening, she texts Takashi:

quote:

> Hey!!!
> We should go out again soon!!
> (^-^)

Hound and Raccoon

"Hey, didn't you have a run-in with our guild before before that went rather... poorly? Are you sure you want to repeat that?" Sunbright says as she readies her greatspear to attack, both to add effect and to be prepared should her attempt to defuse the situation fail.

Intimidate: 1d20+20 35

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Sunday - Evening

Akio gapes at Noriko in stunned silence, then starts laughing uncontrollably and has to wipe tears from his eyes. "Haha! I'm sorry, it's just that when I pictured this in my head we weren't out looking for road-kill... You seem to always be able to catch me off guard, Noriko!" He chuckles and runs a hand through his hair. "Hey, want me to carry the shovel for you?"

"A crow is a good choice for a familiar," Akio agrees, "they're highly intelligent, perceptive, and they can fly. Uh, obviously. It'll stand out more than something like a cat, though, but I think it'd fit you better." He scratches the back of his head in thought. "Hmm, the Yatagarasu, maybe?"

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

/

Sunday - Dungeon w/ Masami (#lowbiefightclub)

Takashi tries to get his friends engaged in the combats, drawing sizeable threats (for the level) towards them and then trying to teach Masami how to deal with them.

"Watch out for stealthers and artillery!" surging forward, he places himself between a group of hostile brute NPCs coming towards Masami, Jun and their pickup healer - forgoing his better CC options, he instead helps his friends learn how to tackle the monsters with their spells and abilities. When a lone rogue type makes a daring play for the healer, .attak comes in like a hammer, using his Death Spirit Rage to make him an even scarier tank!

"AOE the small ones, then switch to single target for the brutes. They've got too many HP for your AOE to really harm them."

He continues playing with them until its time for his evening exercises and dinner.

To Itsumi's text

quote:

[Takashi]: definitely! my week is getting jam packed with school and clubs, but let me know what night you're free and we can hit the arcade or a movie or something... lady's choice!
[Takashi]: d(=^・ω・^=)b

-----

Hound & Raccoon (#topdog)

Stepping forward, .attak flashes an image of <Sir> Heart and himself clasping hands in friendship, trying to minimize the overt threats his friends made.

"<Sir> Heart! Good to see my defender pal out and about. If you'd kindly step aside, we were just on our way. Or is there trouble?" the last gives just enough room to say We're the trouble, and you probably don't want to pick this fight.

Mortify fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 7, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Sunday Evening

Noriko looks relieved. "...i'm glad you didn't just run for the hills. i'm... not used to sharing my space anymore. i didn't even think about it." she hands Akio the shovel and takes his free arm as they walk. "Thank you. I'm not sure if I could conjure something like that into the world, but I could try? It might be easier to just charm a regular one... something that can watch my windows and warn me of danger. Akane suggested a dog, but... my room is so small, and i don't think we can afford another mouth to feed, anyway."

"i told Akane about the game. between running into her in the other school and what Igor said, she might have the same kind of power as us... maybe we should be on the lookout for more allies. have you met anybody who makes you feel..." she pauses, searching for a way to put it. "stronger? maybe it's immoral to involve other people like this, but this is all so overwhelming..."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Sunday - Evening

"Run for the hills? Come on... I, um... like being with you... you know? So why would I run away? Besides, I think it's thoughtful and caring of you to want to feed the crows." Akio smirks happily as he walks down the street with Noriko on his arm. This was much more like he'd pictured their walk when they'd chatted about it!

He ponders her question for a moment before answering. "Hmm, well... You do..." His cheeks redden a bit. "A-And the rest of our friends too," he hastily adds, then looks a bit thoughtful again. "...My life felt kinda meaningless for a while. Fulfilling my duties, doing well at school... I knew it was important and I worked hard at it, but it still felt pointless when I was alone. I wasn't very happy... But now that I have others to care about, well, I feel like you give me strength." He furrows his brow. "But that's maybe a bit different from what you're talking about. I think I know what you mean, though. Some people seem to be special," he nods, "or maybe it's just that they are special to us? Igor said that we can gain fate from the trust of others. I think that's it. So I don't think we're putting them at risk just by bonding with them... Although, I guess if someone like Joker was to target them to weaken us that'd be bad... I don't think we can win without their strength, though, and that could be even worse for everyone involved."

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Sunday Evening

Noriko blushes. "b-because I'm weird... and morbid... and it puts most people off..." she sighs. "i lost a lot of friends in Osaka... and our family kind of pressured us out. i was giving us a bad reputation." she seems hesitant to continue, but takes a deep breath and continues. "something happened to me... almost two years ago. there was a really bad accident, and i saw some things i wish i hadn't. I missed a lot of school, and when i came back i caused a lot of trouble. i'm repeating my first year of high school now... i almost ended up at Nekketsu. mom had to fight to get me into Naoki, i was lucky i got to take the entrance exam at all." (Noriko aced it, naturally)

"i know what you mean about life feeling meaningless... i spent a lot of time looking for a point to it all. i've seen a lot of death, Akio... most people just live their lives, aimlessly doing what's expected of them, and in the end it's all for nothing. everyone ends up the same way, it's just a matter of when. 'Carpe Diem et Memento Mori'... i'm trying really hard to 'seize the day', you know? the game... our friends, and... and you." her cheeks redden. "when you saved me at the other school... i thought it was really dashing! i didn't want to just have a crush... so i went for it. i'm finding meaning 'in the moment'. experiences, friendships, things past life for the sake of itself... haha... i'm sorry, I'm rambling a little..."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Sunday - Evening

"I'm so sorry..." Akio looks saddened by Noriko's story, but then he shakes his head and scowls angrily. "Argh! It just pisses me off. Your friends and family abandoned you when you needed them the most because what, they felt uncomfortable? That's unforgivable! And you were giving them a bad reputation? No, screw that! Of course you were acting out, you shouldn't have to process these horrible things alone. The onus is on them, you're not to blame." He sighs and bites his lip. "Sorry, I shouldn't lash out at your family when I don't know the details... It just felt so unfair I couldn't stand it... Your mom seems like a good person though, I'm really glad she got you into Naoki..." He looks a bit saddened again, but he smiles. "And you're so much more than those two insignificant little words to me, for that matter..."

As Noriko finally explains her reasoning for sitting down next to him on that fateful Friday evening, Akio starts blushing. A lot. "I don't think you're rambling... you're making all the sense in the world to me." He stares at the ground, smiling. "I mean, I still don't quite get what you see in me. I guess you must be pretty weird if you thought that someone like me was dashing, haha..." He stops walking and turns to face her, but isn't quite able lift his eyes from the ground. "Carpe Diem, huh?... You're so much braver than I am... I've always been too much of a nervous wreck to dare try something like that. But maybe..." His heart is pounding like a drum and he feels about as steady as a wet noodle, but he yet manages to lift his eyes to meet hers. "Noriko, I..." He lets the shovel slip out of his hand and fall to the ground, then he searches for her hands and holds them gently in his. "If you don't mind..." He tugs lightly on her hands, bringing her closer to him, his cheeks as crimson as can be. He swallows. "I'd like to... Ah, I'm terrible at this!" Having had enough of his own indecision, Akio throws caution to the wind and sweeps Noriko up in his arms and kisses her on the lips!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Sunday Evening

Noriko lets out a startled yelp, tensing up as she's swept up in his arms, but relaxes as Akio kisses her; Closing her eyes, she lets herself get caught up in the moment. After they share the kiss, she pulls away for a moment, laughing nervously and blushing before moving in to clutch onto him in a tight hug. "...that... that was really nice... hehe... carpe diem, right?"

Resting her head on his shoulder, she sways slightly on her feet. "it's hard... dealing with grief... nobody else wants it to be their problem. i had... i had to learn to stand on my own, and i'm glad i did. i like who i am now, even if it's embarrassing and weird... but... it's nice to have people to lean on again." she gives him a gentle kiss before breaking away, beaming a smile without the normal hint of melancholy. Leaning down to pick up her shovel, she hands it back over to Akio. "walk with me a little bit longer?"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 9, 2017

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Sunday

Akio - Arcade Showdown

: "Maybe you haven't heard, but this is a White Mage kinda town." Locking in the conservative defensive master White Cap Veronica, a bookish scholarly blonde girl in modest robes that conceal rows of poison and barbaric alchemy tools, the newcomer plays a masterful game of poison and keep away. Reduce their health while regenerating your own is White Cap's strategy, but to your great chagrin... you're blown out with a Perfect Loss(Arcana 44 Crit!) He doesn't even need the regen! It seems obvious this guy has done some Black Hat research to exploit frame-wide gaps in your attacks, but where does the research end and the raw talent begin!? The onlookers oooh and ahhh at the total shut-out and the new kid leans around the cabinet to grin at you. "A Black Mark for the Black Mage, huh..." He stands up and steps around the cabinet, jerking a thumb up to point to himself. "Good round, punk. When they ask you, Fukushima Tokuhei took your crown!" He grins recklessly, waiting for your response.

Itsumi: Diligent study is its own reward. No, wait. You gain +1 Academics as you review your coursework.

Takashi - Instancing With The Boys

: "Wooah, excellent! I'm getting so many guys in my bursts!"

: "You're really a reliable guy, Takashi. Kinda makes me wonder what the stream's for, you should have great word of mouth as a good tank!" Hanging with your bros and having a good stomp, it makes your concerns about self-defense seem distant. The air grows heavy for a bit as your bonds grow:

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Magician arcana...

Your Soulshell bonus to Support Persona of the Magician increases to +2 Attack/Damage/Healing! It seems you can build some Social Links through multiple bonds that not everybody in the group shares. This sets your(Takashi's) mind at ease as it means you don't have to spend more time with Ryuka than you'd really want to... er, not that she's THAT annoying! Usually. But compared to your childhood best friend... furthermore, Masami offers you some new Overseer potential!

Overseer posted:

Masami: Chaotic Flux(Passive): If your Attack Roll is Even, add 1d4 Lightning Damage. If your Attack Roll is Odd, add 1d4 Force Damage.
Wall of Force(Daily): Creates a 1x5 Wall that can be up to 2 Squares(10 Feet) tall. The wall counts as Difficult Terrain and inflicts 10 Force/Psionic Damage to Creatures that enter it. Creatures that begin or end their turn inside the wall are Pushed 2 Squares (No Save) and knocked Prone(Save.)

---

Monday
Music

Everyone: It's a beautiful sunny day with brisk breezes straight from the coast as you head back to school! In homeroom you're warned of rumors of perverts attacking students and stealing their uniforms, and a strong recommendation that female students not travel by Nekketsu alone. In your next class you get an extended bit of lecturing from a teacher, Mister Adachi, who handles mathematics and science courses as well as tutoring in the Math Club.

: "Ay yi yi, yeesh. Every year it's the same problem. I'll tell you right now, even we faculty know what Friday's Rally over at Nekketsu is about." An older man with some masters degrees, he's in his mid-30s. "The biker gangs their alumni are fond of band together for a school spirit event and some local pride, and nothing more, you understand? Anything you hear about big fights or stand-offs are not only greatly exaggerated..." He taps his forehead twice with an index finger. "But if you even think about starting trouble, you'll have the police to deal with before you trade any lumps!" He waits for that to sink in for a moment before clearing his throat, a common sign for gossip in his class to die down. "Besides, a much greater challenge waits before you all!" He turns and begins writing out dates and standards for... "MID TERMS! Beginning May 11th! Now that you're used to the challenges of Naoki, why don't you shine academically?" There's some excited chatter and more than a few pained groans from the class... anyone with lacking Academics stands no chance of doing well!

Akio: On your usual path to school, you spot Kane and Felix shooting the breeze together at the school gate. It may be awkward to see them while there's bad blood, or maybe this is the time to get that apology over with!

Itsumi: At lunch-time, Madoka catches up to you in a real panic, her face unusually stern.

: "Itsumi... there's something you need to see." The grave tone of her voice... did something terrible happen? She's holding a small glossy paper in one hand a little too severely, crumpling it slightly. "You had your eye on Takashi, yeah? And we were keeping an eye out for this awful senpai... well..." She shows you the school paper, flipping past a few general articles and a Rah Rah School Spirit front page to a small lifestyle section in the second half. There's a photo. A very tastefully taken photo of Takashi and Takano sharing coffee and sweets in a popular 24/7 Coffee Store! Takashi is dressed casual yet stylish, and Senpai is wearing a gorgeous sun dress. Madoka peers over the top of the paper, eyebrows knitting together in a glare. "A Date!"

Noriko - Lunch

: "Ehhh, did you guys see that debut film on the Midnight Eye Show last night? Murder For Two: Three's Company?" Akane looks a bit giddy and red-cheeked as she discusses her usual favorite stuff. "It was.. kyaa, it was so romantic!" This is a bit of a first! The younger Hattori, swept up in her own thoughts of love. "When the two swore to keep that secret together and they buried the boy... "you're an accessory to this now... but you've always been an accessory.. to my heart!"" After reciting the quote she laughs.

: "There's not really a limit to your bad taste, is there? Like how vultures have no gag reflex."

: "It sounds cool, Hideaki! I guess, ya know, if you murdered somebody with somebody's help, uhm, it'd kinda make a bond, I guess... th-that is, not that it's cool to kill people, but, uh, uhm..." Sato fidgets over his noodle dish as he unleashes metaphorical spaghetti all over the conversation.

Takashi: Your usual social forays pick up an interesting rumor: you hear that Akio beat up three Nekketsu kids on Sunday. Sounds like it's coming from a Senior boy of unusually good reputation.

Tsukiyo: Manami and Miho gossip idly about the upcoming Nekketsu rally. Manami seems pretty reigned in.

: "... So, is that where you'll strike, Tsuki?" The two peer at you expectantly.

---

Hound and Raccoon

: Not drawing his great-club, it seems Sir Heart has no real intention of fighting. In response to your posturing and Itsumi's malice he simply continues to loom, his Avatar technically Medium-sized, yet always seeming to possess a unit of height that registers as "Taller Than You." After some calm deliberation and Takashi's invitation, his voice heavily filtered to be ancient and echoing, like an elderly master resides inside the massive suit. "What a ganker desires is good rivals. It is with great deliberation that I address you at all." Raccoon flails in Akio's grip the entire time, muttering variations of "LEMME AT HIM." Heart lets the silence hang for a moment before continuing. "My first loyalty is to my comrades, yet it is distasteful to me to watch you walk into a trap... yet, to let you spring it will bring them the greatest joy." Heart casts his arm out to the side, his cape billowing! "Therefore! I will simply ask you to be observant... consider the things you have seen thus far." He draws his arms and cloak together, covering his weapons entirely as he rotates to face the gondolas and the reverse river. "Good luck with the King. And if we still get the drop on you, perhaps this warning will satisfy my conscience." With that said, he reaches to his hand and temporarily removes a ring, which causes his emerald sheen to disappear. He re-equips the ring and his Avatar begins flickering in and out of existence, accompanied by the tell-tale static of a dropped connection. "Farewell."

: "OOOOOOH! Whatta goofball! Come on, lets go!" He sproings out of Akio's grip and trots over to the gondolla Caitte is manning.

This is the final preparation before you return to the entrance of the Mindscape and enter the King's Court, now unlocked.

: Caitte drops his shape-shift once the gondola has begun its journey, idly testing the paddle. "What the hell was that about? Whatever. Listen, the King is kind of a big deal. A lot of these 'scapes get a tasteful little boss with some polish, or just some generic clap-trap from the devs. But this guy? The White Lady loved him... and it shows. Be ready for it and I say ya nova him from round one."

: "A strange fellow, that Heart. But the warning he gave us... an honorable man in Gank Inc.?" Contemplative wurfing noises ensue.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

"we beat him good last time we saw him..." Mori notes to the hound. "one of those Samurai Types... still a ganker, though. i'm going to scout overhead."

Channeling her fate, Memento-Mori shrinks, her body morphing into the form of a bat. Hopping to the end of the Gondola, she leaps into the air and wings up above the group, getting a birds- no, a bat's eye view of the area below.

pre:
Memento-Mori   						 

One with Shadow     [ ] Sign of the Golden Ram      [X] Phantom Chasm           [ ] Tarukaja 
Ghost Sound         [ ] Grasping Shadows            N/M Horrid Whispers         [ ] Foul Breath
Light               [ ] Maze of Mirrors             [ ] Visions of Avarice      [ ] Mamudoon
Mage Hand           [ ] Phantom Foes                N/M Tasha's Frcbl Conscrp   Special
Prestidigitation    [ ] Echoing Dirge               [ ] Mirage Arcana           [X] Crown of Madness
Winged Horde        [ ] Hekiah's Trance		    N/M Phantasmal Killer       [X] Bat Form
                    [ ] Monk's C. Casual Robes	    [ ] Amulet of Resolution
                                                    [X] Bracers of Escape

Passives:
Arcane illusion power hits give Mori combat advantage vs Target UEONT (or until save on save powers)
When spending an action point to take an action, one creature within 5 squares takes ongoing 5 psychic dam (save ends)
Enemies that enter space or start turn within 3 squares take a -5 penalty to saving throws against charms and -2 to all other saves
When interacting with creatures that have an origin other than natural, use Arcana or Religion in place of Diplomacy and Intimidate
Regeneration 2

Rank 2 Charm ** - [+2 Dex/Cha skills]

Noriko // Monday - Lunch

"you know, hideaki... meat ripens over time," Noriko notes, pushing up her glasses. "eating decomposing meat has a long and rich history before refrigeration. it's not that vultures have bad taste, it's that we don't appreciate good meat anymore, heh heh."

Noriko shrugs at Akane. "i was out last night and missed it..." she says with a hint of wistfulness, flushing a little at the thought of the night before. "...it looked really appealing, too. i'm going to have to find it online or something if they don't re-run it."

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 9, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Monday

"W-what are you talking about, Miho-chan?!" Tsukiyo is fairly muffled by her friend's suggestion. "I already said it before, I'm not going to start a fight with the other schools! If anything, we should be concerned about studying for the midterms, you know! Or about finding out whoever the pervert stealing uniforms is..." She says for a second, before something flashes back to her memory.

Tsukiyo clenches her hand for a second. As soon as she can, she will make sure to get a nice talk with Akio about that...

Flagelo - H&R

Flagelo emotes the rolling of eyes at Heart's over-dramatic voice filter and warning, and instead sheathes her weapon. "Duly noted, guess we might prepare ourselves for the big one."

Equipping Spear.

pre:
Flagelo   						 

Banchou's Pride         [ ] Power Strike               [x] Belt of Lucky Strikes
                        [ ] Ignore Weakness            
                        [ ] Trip Up
                        [ ] Masterstroke
                        [ ] Clearheaded
                        [ ] Strikebacks

Fate
[ ]Storm Strike

Overseer

Support Persona
Bake-kujira (Hierophant)
Mazionga  (+14 vs Reflex, Range 5, Burst 1, All Creatures. Deals 2d4+7 Lightning Damage)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Sunday - Evening

Akio lets out a nervous laugh at the same time as Noriko does, then embraces her as she clutches to him, leaning his head against hers as he holds her tight. "Mm... that's right... " He murmurs softly as she speaks. "Carpe Diem et Noriko Mori, hehe..." For all he cared this moment was the only thing that existed in the entire universe.

"I had my sisters to lean on after my mother died, so I wasn't entirely alone... but I know what you mean about having to stand on your own... And I think I'm beginning to like who I am now, too." He smiles brightly as she breaks away, his body still tingling from her kiss. "Especially when you give me that smile." He takes the shovel and offers her his arm again. "Of course. Let's go."

Akio // Sunday - Arcade

"Yeah, grats. You managed to beat me. Once. It happens." Akio tries to blow it off with a non-committal shrug, but it's pretty obvious how annoyed he actually is. How the hell had he gotten in a perfect on him?! "Anyway, I don't actually have time to hang around the arcade all day, so you can enjoy the crown for a little bit longer. Next time, we'll settle this with a best of five." Akio turns around and stomps out of the arcade, fuming. The bastard mains one of the cheesiest characters in the game then acts all smug when he wins?! What a piece of poo poo! Oh revenge will be sweet...

Akio // Monday

Akio stops in place as soon as he spots Felix and Kane, and immediately starts fidgeting in hesitation. Ugh, he'd put this off for way too long, it felt so awkward to approach them now... But he knew it was only going to get more and more awkward with time, until one day when he'd realize he'd lost touch with them entirely. Just like what had happened between him and any friends he used to have... He closes his eyes and exhales deeply, steeling himself. "Carpe Diem," he mutters to himself. His thoughts take him elsewhere for a moment, somewhere pleasant, and he smiles.

He opens his eyes again and returns to the present, nodding to himself, determined to see this through. He sets course for the two, walking up to them even though his mind is screaming at him to change direction and go straight to the classroom.

"H-Hey, Felix. Kane... Um, what's up?"

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Monday Afternoon - Rumors (#run #allday)

Swimming (dog paddling?) in the various social circles, Takashi is a bit surprised to hear Akio participated in the brawl, but it would track with his text from the weekend.

Whipping out his phone in one hand, he sends a quick text to the suspect.

Text to Akio posted:

{takashi}: rumor mill says you might be the naoki pervert... that true?

-----

Hound & Raccoon (#topdog)

Hitching up his remaining bomb vest, .Attak is as ready for a fight as he's going to get.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Monday

Akio's eyes shoot open wide in horror as he reads Takashi's text. Oh no... No. No-no-no-no-no! This isn't happening... And he thought he had been sweating a lot in homeroom when he first heard the initial rumor! Dammit Kunio!

Welp, there was only one thing a man of honor could do in a time like this... Lie through his teeth!

Text to Takashi posted:

Akio: What! I don't even know what you're talking about! The Naoki pervert???
Akio: The only rumor I heard was that a gang of perverts were stealing uniforms around Nekketsu...
Akio: Who said that?!

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Monday Afternoon - Rumors (#run #allday)

Screwing up his face into a very large smirk, Taksshi got exactly the answer he was expecting. While the initial rumor was about Akio beating up several people, the way he responded to the accusation of being 'the' pervert sealed the deal in Takashi's mind.

Text to Akio posted:

{takashi}: well... i can't say, but the rumors say that the pervert took the coat right off a girl.
{takashi}: sound familiar?
{takashi}: you know i'd never rat on a friend, right?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Monday - Lunch Break

As soon as she can, Tsukiyo immediately heads to Akio's class, prowling for him before cornering the hapless student. "Hey, hey... So about those uniforms you found." She says, a dangerous smile on her face that can barely hide the seething anger within her. "Care to tell me about them?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Monday - Rumors

Deny! Deny! Deny!

Text to Takashi posted:

Akio: I'm not a pervert, there's nothing to rat on!
Akio: Maybe that's how the guy I got the uniform from got it. Yes, that must be it!
Akio: Ah, that is unfortunate. If had I had known he used such immoral means I would not have taken it, of course...

Akio // Monday - Lunch Break

Finding himself backed into a corner by the sudden appearance of an extremely frightening(!) Tsukiyo, Akio's eye begins to twitch violently as he tries and fails to give her an innocent smile. "H-Hey, Tsukiyo... G-G-Good to see y-you?" A large bead of sweat rolls down his forehead. "Ah, uhm... O-Of course, I'll tell you... I, uh, m-managed to get a hold of one of the Nekketsu jackets we needed for the infiltration... So we just need one more and you're all set to go! Uh, was there a-anything else you wanted to know? I w-w-was just about to grab something to eat in the cafeteria..." Ah, so this was how he was going to die.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Monday

Akio - Morning

: Catching up to your pals, Felix gives you a polite wave and greeting.

: Kane grumbles and shoves his hands into his pockets, angling his head down so he glare is barely perceptible beneath the rim of his cap. "Just heading to school, man. And keeping our eyes peeled for any other morgue escapees. Girls can be kinda devilish when they wanna be, and I figure you're more likely to find an actual bloodsucker in the undead." You get the feeling he's been waiting to give you a proper reply since last time.

Noriko - Lunch

: Hideaki looks at his lunch for a second, then quietly covers it with his napkin, like a body at the morgue. "You two were really meant to be friends, huh."

Tsukiyo - Lunch:

: "But if anyone is targeting Naoki students from Nekketsu, they'd be wrapped up in school and turf pride." Miho sips on a juice box and ruminates on possible connections while Manami seems a little impressed, mumbling something about "brains and brawn" and "superior dominance in gang warfare." Miho turns a bit red and adds: "If Tsuki wanted to stop their gang, they'd be there, that is."

---

Akio, Tsukiyo, Takashi - Between Classes

Akio is best caught after lunch, waiting for the next class to begin. There's other students milling about the room and a good deal of traffic in the halls, the daily noise masking your tense conversation. As Tsukiyo corners Akio and gets ready to really let him have it, somebody cuts across the hall and steps into the room.

: A very tall boy with spikey hair and a muscular build strides up, wearing a Naoki uniform jacket and jeans and a muscle-shirt beneath, projecting an aura of casual disrespect while remaining pretty composed. A very light hint of cologne drifts around him and he's tall, taller than Tsukiyo or even Takashi. Not in your class, he must be in an older year. He pats Akio on the back with the affected camaraderie of close friends and smiles at Tsukiyo. "The fiery Chavez, guardian spirit of freshman year..." His eyes focus intently upon Tsukiyo's own, gaze matching gaze, his calm and friendly demeanor reflecting only the most polite pleasure. "It is wonderful to meet you, I am Igarashi Kunio. You seemed to be focused on my good friend Akio here, and I've heard you're not one to tolerate misconduct in our school's name. Although regrettably there was a small incident on Sunday... Akio here valiantly fought back three boys from Nekketsu when they jumped me." He leans his head forward a bit, still focused on Tsukiyo the entire time, the tip of his tongue passing between his lips for a split second before he clears his throat. "Please, forgive him. With a spirit of justice as bright as you are beautiful... it would be tragic if you grew angry with him on my account."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Monday - Lunch Break (With Girls)

"Do we know someone who can identify these people, though? It's not like I can just ask around for who is a gang member there."

Monday - Between Classes

Tsukiyo looks at the totally-a-rascal-looking Kunio, then to Akio, then back to Kunio, and a revelation springs to her mind... That's the pervert who attacked Nekketsu students, and when members of that school tried to punish him or protect the jacket's owner, Akio probably helped him do the wretched deed! Were they not at school right now, she would have rightfully drawn her shinai and bonked Kunio's forehead, but she cannot do so at the moment. Instead, she glares at Akio one last time before wordlessly stomping outside.

Mission: Punish Kunio the Underwear Thief added.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Itsumi sees the newspaper and instantly becomes incensed. She snatches the paper out of Madoka's hands, crumpling it in the process, and storms through the halls until she finds Takashi. When she finds him, she practically yells, "Takashi-san! We need to talk," shoving the paper at his chest as she does so. "You know, when you get done with everyone else." she says as she turns and stomps off, just hoping he'll follow her so she can see just what he was thinking... and possibly give him a further piece of her mind!

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Monday - Morning

Akio nods knowingly. Not at the superficial meaning of Kane's words, but at the emotions underneath them. "Look..." He lets out a sigh, his eyes downcast. "I didn't mean what I said before. I overreacted and snapped at you both, and I'm sorry." He frowns and kicks at a pebble on the street. "It just felt like you were trying to bring me down when I was really excited about something and wanted to tell you all about it, and at the same time you insulted someone I really care about a lot. It pissed me off..." He looks up from the ground with an apologetic expression. "But I probably should've voiced that instead of going straight for the jugular and storming off. Sorry..."

Akio // Monday - Lunch Break

"Tsukiyo, wait, don't get the wrong idea!" Akio calls after her as she stomps off, still feeling the sting of her glare. Dammit! This is bad... He shakes his head and looks at Kunio. "You should've just let her slug me and get it over with. I have no idea what she'll do now..." He hangs his head and sighs. "What are you doing here anyway, besides implicating us both in what went down yesterday?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Monday - Lunch

"fate brings compatible souls together. everyone needs a friend that can help them bury a body in a pinch. i mean... metaphorically..." Noriko cooly notes, looking a bit ghoulish.

"hmm, I wonder what's going on..." she says, looking towards the door and craning her head towards some commotion outside of the lunch room. "...probably nothing."

Noriko shrugs and goes back to her lunch.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 19, 2017

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Monday

Akio - Morning

Felix and Kane regard you for a moment, Felix smiling politely and nodding to acknowledge your feelings, Kane scrunching up a scowl as he considers your far too frequent invocation of feelings.

: "Well.. yeah.. men should have it out. But men also give each other poo poo, pal. Don't take it so seriously. You're a real bastard for getting a girlfriend before me anyway, maybe you should consider my feelings." He laughs and grabs your forearm for a real firm handshake.

: "No need to play the brooding swordsman in real life, Akio! Friendship can withstand a few wayward barbs."

Akio - Between Classes

: Kunio sighs and shakes his head as Tsukiyo heads off. "You hate to see her leave, but you love to watch her go, right?" He loots a bit... forlorn, his gaze wistful. "Slug you? It'd be a shame to see a girl that cute follow her brother's path." He hears you out as you vent and sighs. "All I've credited you with is the honor due a brother. It's the duty of a Senpai to uplift his Kouhai. When you sought me out twice now...I thought that was pretty apt of you, like you were a man just itching for a good fight. You've got a real hooligan spirit and I recognized that as Naoki's banchou." He chuckles coolly. "I bet you even want in on Friday, doncha?"

Tsukiyo - After Meeting Akio/Kunio

: "Hey boss." Manami catches you right before classes start, making sure to check that Miho isn't around. "If you wanna get the spread on Nekketsu, there's a few guys I know... but I gotta warn you, they're stupid as hell."

---

Hound and Raccoon

Noriko: You take a long overview of the sacred forests ahead, only avoiding invisible walls due to the seal being opened. You can see the King's Retreat in all of its fully mapped glory below and see several hidden pathways in the tree branches that provide quick drops down to the pillars and rail ways. A lot of conspicuous empty openings in the tree tops suggest Player Guardians summoned would appear there. You could enter the map in the high ground thanks to this scouting(indicate if you do after this post and I'll reflect it on the next map!)

Returning to the entrance of the peaceful forest Mindscape, your gondola comes to a halt along the stone-carved riverside and you get off, the great monolith on the stone walls shimmering with a pure white aura. At your approach the central parts of it fade out to perfect darkness and the white light pours into it like water until with a shimmer the entire section of wall fades away, leaving a path forward between the remaining stone walls. Passing forward you walk by stonework crafted with care, albeit a bit randomly at times, the architecture of somebody who is no architect yet poured their heart into going over every step of the way. Openings and arcs between the stones allow vision of the forest plateaus deep within these hidden woods where you see great furry creatures bounding about playfully.

At your passing the Owlbears use their heads or paws to nudge awake their cubs, some burly parents picking them up with beak or forearms and moving out of sight on two or four legs. The stone walls around you begin to recede and you walk between great sprawling lengths of wild plant growth, close to overtaking the path, yet halted a certain width apart from each other, carefully cultivated to ensure the path remains. Ahead you see a new set of stone ruins rising, the sound of rushing rivers fading as they pass through the woods and meet somewhere beyond the stone, the only remnant of the water being purified water that flows from a great fountain of the White Lady. Situated around this fountain are piles of luxury goods, chests filled with the promise of treasure, and bins of tasty food. Several small offerings are tied off with tidy little ribbons and seals like a festival at a shrine and great pillars of stone are built into the grass, wooden frames built into the sides of the pillars near the top. The raised rails are used to hang several banners that look hand-drawn, many of them carrying distinct styles that couldn't be traced to one user.

Pictures of the Forest Guard and the Owlbears and other wonderful bright and noble creatures are painted on each banner, words of encouragement and cheer written.

Do Your Best.
We Had A Great Time!
I Love King Muscles!
Thanks For Believing In Me!
You Are Wonderful.
Always Appreciated!
Everything Here Is So Cute!
Best Healer!

And so on, messages refreshing and cycling between dozens gathered. Seated at foot of the fountain pool is a huuuuge owlbear, a hulking mound of fur and muscles with extra-developed shoulders, torso and limbs, as though he were a full point of scale grown past the others! He sits in a casual lounge and despite his severe features, he coos curiously at your group's approach. Targeting him IDs him as the star of the boss wipe video Caitte showed you:

King Muscles

: "Finally. Let's thrash this big lug." Caitte's flexing his fingers in anticipation, his aura of shadows swirling around him, little triangle-eared fiends dancing in his actual shadow, the occasional pulse of yellow revealing vertical eyes and laughing fanged smiles.

: At your entrance, Muscles sits up with the attentive poise of a beast, his eyes immediately focusing on you even at a distance. With practiced steps he crosses the distance to your group immediately, each step inducing only a soft trembling in the ground beneath you, the thick plant bed of the forest dampening even this giant's movements. With regal bearing he glares down at all of you and lets out a contemplative "Coooo..."

Then, he raises a single paw, flexing talons as big as any one of you. Without malicious intent he extends a single one, offering your group... a pot of fresh-brewed tea that smells of honey and mint, hooked under the absolute thinnest tip of the claw. Muscles flexes the plumage around his neck, the soft fur-feather mix billowing like a set of ruffs.

[ ] Accept the King's Diplomacy
[ ] Attack the King (Surprise Round)

: "Look, I've seen this play out before. You parley with the King and the Mindscape makes his loot intangible. Don't fall for that poo poo."

: Raccoon peers up at Muscles, his eyes gleaming and his mouth going a bit slack at the sheer size of the massive monarch. "... Ya know... I don't wanna. He's real nice-like." Raccoon smiles up at Muscles as Caitte sighs loudly and face-palms.

: Serving as your Overseer, Felix chimes in: "He uses attacks based on how you're flanking him, targeting different defenses or punishing trying to surround him. You can limit his physical attacks, but he'll always be "Blessed by Nature" and unleash attacks each round. He's pretty tough thanks to a shielding gimmick but we can take him!"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 20, 2018

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

After her aerial survey, Noriko swoops back down to the group and shifts back to her normal form, growing in size as she shifts back, her hands pulling away from her bat wings, they remain on her back for a moment; with a shake of her hips, they meld back into her skin. "mmm, scouting complete"

Party Chat
pre:
Memento-Mori: ᕳ•w•❀ᕲ found a secret path 
Memento-Mori: it looks like we can get up onto high ground. i think this will go better if we come in that way
Memento-Mori: if <Gank Inc.> is waiting for us they'll be coming in from further down.
Memento-Mori: we might be able to put them between us and the boss 
Memento-Mori: then i can funnel them towards the boss with CC and we can burn them all down
Whichever way they take, Memento-Mori remarks on Caitte's warning: "no diplomacy. we came here for the loot in the first place... unless there's some better reward for negotiating i'm not interested." the normally chilly tone to her voice seems a bit sinister in the context of the conversation!

pre:
Memento-Mori   						 

Winged Horde        [ ] Hekiah's Trance		    N/M Phantasmal Killer       [X] Bat Form
                    [ ] Monk's C. Casual Robes	    [ ] Amulet of Resolution
                                                    [X] Bracers of Escape

Passives:
Regeneration 2

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 14, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Monday Class

"...Why do I have a bad feeling about these people you're going to introduce to me..."

Flagelo - H&R

Flagelo goes at the path that Noriko indicates, and waits at the vantage point, spear in hand as she looks below.

quote:

Flagelo:We go down and fight that thing. Not taking any chances.

pre:
Flagelo   						 

[ ] Ignore Weakness            
                        [ ] Trip Up
                        [ ] Masterstroke
                        [ ] Clearheaded
                        [ ] Strikebacks

Fate
[ ]Storm Strike

Overseer

Support Persona
Bake-kujira (Hierophant)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Monday - Morning

"Thanks guys..." Akio returns Felix's nod with a relieved smile and shakes Kane's hand with gusto, shooting him a look of feigned astonishment as he does. "A lout like you has managed to develop feelings now? I was only gone for one a week, I didn't think I would miss out on a real world miracle!" He laughs and he grins, feeling at ease again. "Speaking of miracles..." He turns to Felix. "How are things going with the waitress?"

Akio // Monday - Between Classes

"Hooligan? Me?!" Akio gapes at Kunio, not quite able to process his stunning lack of perspicaciousness. "How do you... Come on, you saw in person how useless I was on the offense, I'm not a brawler..." And I have no desire to be! "...Are you really planning to hit their rally on Friday? Mister Adachi said the police would intervene, maybe you should call it off. Nekketsu will be out in force anyway, it won't be as easy as ambushing their track team."

Ambrose // Hound and Raccoon

Party Chat

quote:

Ambrose: nice work Mori (`・ω・´)
Ambrose: I like that plan
Ambrose: if we're lucky the gankers draw some ire from King Muscle, but we should count on them being allied, we know at least one of them has a guardian ring from this mindscape
Ambrose: even so, keeping them bunched up will make the fight much more managable (ง •̀_•́)ง
Ambrose: first things first, let's see what kind of attacks he has
Ambrose: don't be dumb, pay attention to what he's doing and manuever around to face attacks you can handle
Ambrose: let's do this

Ambrose joins in on Caitte's face-palming. "We didn't come here to rp friends of the forest, Raccoon. We came here for loot."

pre:
Ambrose
HP: 97/97 (THP: 3)	AC:	33 (=)	Passive Insight: 25
Surges: 8/11 (V: 28)	Fort:	23 (25)	Passive Perception: 18
Initiative: +9		Ref:	27 (=)	Vision: Low-light Vision
Speed: 6		Will:	26 (=)	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven		Fortune Points: 3

Ame-no-Murakumo Longsword: +18, 1d8+11 (MBA/RBA)

At-Will			Encounter			Daily
Aegis of Shielding	[ ] Second Wind			[X] Vanishing Blade
Booming Blade		[ ] Argent Rain			[ ] Shielding Fire
Sword Burst		[ ] Fey Step			[ ] Hellspike Assault
			[ ] Armathor's Step		[ ] Impenetrable Warding
			[ ] Sword of Sigils		[ ] Rune of the Undeniable Dawn (Fate)
			[ ] Brawling Warrior
			[ ] Arcane Mutterings

At-Will Interrupts	Encounter Interrupts
Aegis of Shielding	[ ] Countering Thunderclap
			[ ] Dimensional Vortex
			[ ] Transposing Lunge*
Magic Items
[*] Acrobat Boots (At-will, Minor Action): Stand up from prone.
[ ] Ame-no-Murakumo (Encounter, Free Action): Miss enemy with weapon attack, make a basic attack against a different enemy within range 7.
[ ] Bladed Bolter Bandolier (Daily, Free Action): Spawn a Bolter within Range 5.
[ ] Cloak of Translocation +2 (Daily, Minor Action): Regain the use of an expended teleportation encounter power.
[ ] Gauntlets of Zeal (Enc, Free Action): Lose up to 5 THP to deal that much extra Force/Radiant Damage.
[ ] Shogun's Kimono (Enc, Imm. Interrupt): Reduce damage of an attack by a marked enemy that targets me and one or more allies by 13.
2x  Beginner's Mocha (Minor): Spend a Healing Surge. Regain 6 HP and gain +2 Defenses USONT.

Ongoing
Overseer - Hound: +2 to Fortitude Defense and Resist Forced Movement 1.

Passives
Damage Resistance: 10 Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder
Vulnerability: 5 Physical
Eladrin Will: +5 bonus to saving throws against charm effects.
War Wizard's Expertise: -5 penalty to hit allies with arcane attacks.
Cowboy's Hat: After using Aegis Interrupt, next attack deals +2 damage. After teleporting, Aegis prevents an additional 2 damage.
Cloak of Translocation: +2 to AC and Reflex UEOMNT after using a teleport power.
Ring of Uncanny Judgement: Automatically know distance and direction to marked targets while mark persists.
Swordshield Action: After spending an action point, gain +2 to all defenses UEOMNT.
Eladrin's Challenge: Marked enemies take -3 penalty from mark instead of -2.
Improved Silver Shield: Gain 13 THP when using Aegis of Shielding Interrupt.

Support Persona: Mucalinda (World)
Passive: Resist Fire, Cold, Lightning, Thunder 10
Passive: Vuln Physical 5
Zionga (+15 vs Reflex. Range 8. Deals 2d6+8 Lightning Damage to one target.)
Magaru (+15 vs Reflex. Range 5, Area burst 1. Deals 7 Thunder Damage to all targets.)
Divine Breath (Immediate Interrupt. Triggeres on taking Damage. Splash 1/4 of Phys. Damage taken in CB 1. Auto-Hit, All Creatures.)

Social Stats
Rank 1 Charm     (Dex/Cha) [2/3]
Rank 1 Courage   (Str/Con) [2/3]
Rank 1 Academics (Int/Wis) [2/3]

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 15, 2017

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hound and Raccoon
Music

Surprise Round!

Your group opts for the direct approach as you take the hidden path up to the branches! You drop down to the pillars below, surrounding the massive monarch as he drinks from the fountain pool! Bewildered, he whirls around and faces you with an angry set of clucks, the silhouette of a gorgeous blue moon passing through his shadow! His features double in mass and the extra down is translucent, shimmering like the moon!

Dropping down with his pre-spawned spirit following, Raccoon misses a pillar and lands on the wooden rail instead. Passing an Acrobatics check and looking like a fat ballerina, he unleashes Haunting Spirits vs Will and Caitte whiffs Magic Stones vs Reflex, the impacts diminishing some of Muscles' defenses! In response to the strikes, light blue wisps of light soar out from the dispersing feathers and gather over the two assailants, building in power!

-Pillars and Rails are 20 feet high
-Acrobatics DC 20 to move along wooden rails without falling
-Athletics DC 20 to climb statue tiles(I4, I23, T4, T23) to top of pillar

Caitte: HP: 60/60 AC/F/R/W: 21/19/23/24
Raccoon: HP: 61/61 AC/F/R/W: 21/19/20/22, Spirit: 14 HP

Muscles: Damage Taken: 0
AC/F/R/W: 30/32/40/40 -> 30/32/37/37 -> 30/32/34/34
Beak Slash: Forward Facing vs Reflex
Claw Swipe: Sides vs AC
Kick: Rear Facing vs Fort
Solar Blessing: ???
Lunar Blessing: Boosted Reflex/Will and Reflecting, Defenses reduced by Attacks

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Party Chat
pre:
Memento-Mori: those defenses! this is... not ideal. (;;Ծ_Ծ)
Memento-Mori: hiding until we get set up
Standard: Use monk's robes to go invisible UEONT

pre:
Memento-Mori   						 

[X] Monk's C. Casual Robes	    [ ] Amulet of Resolution
                                                    [X] Bracers of Escape

Passives:
Regeneration 2