Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Friday Evening

Blushing at the compliment, Noriko squeezes Akio's hand back and bumps him with her hip. "hehe... dummy. thank you..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Friday Night

Apologizing about tact then doing this kind of shameless flirting in front of someone who just lost her boyfriend?! Tsukiyo approaches Akio from behind and gives a big pinch at his right arm.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Akio // Friday

Akio grins at Noriko and gives her a little a bump back. "Hehe... If I'm such a dummy, then why do you- OW!" He yelps and leaps around as he suddenly feels a sharp biting pain in the back of his right arm! "Tsukiyo?" He rubs the back of his arm where she pinched him and stares at her, completely baffled. "W-What was that about?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Takashi's Text To Takano posted:

--You pull up an unrelated text while you're surfing the web on Felix's behalf:

: "Why don't you tell me?"

: To Takano, "If your Study Council duties won't keep you, how about a cheat meal after the Rally on Friday? I think I know just the spot."

: Takano replies promptly: "You should stay in on Friday." There would be another week before exams after this one. Takano's reply briefly reminds you that she's older than you and probably shares Naoki faculty's belief that the Rally is bad news for students.

: To Takano, "Oh, I thought the Rally was like a Pep Rally for school spirit? If its not school sanctioned, I probably shouldn't go." Adding a few minutes later, "Offer for Friday night still stands, but I could stay in and study either way."

: You receive a pretty steady stream of replies and you feel the heat behind the texts. "The NEKKETSU rally is part of their grudge against Naoki! There'll be gangs and even bikers roaming near the school because they're proud alumni! ABSOLUTELY do not attend, Takashi!" After a beat, which you can estimate is time spent literally emiting steam from her ears, another text comes. "Next week we will be sick of studying, take me somewhere nice then."

: To Takano, "Oh jeez. Yeah, not going anywhere near that. The last thing I need is to become a beat up dog. Senpai won't tolerate lame dogs on her track team, or so I've heard. Next week sounds good," Takashi picks a day that he thinks they'd both be free and offers to take her somewhere nice, but insists on keeping it a surprise.

---It's a date for next week!

Moon Social Link(Felix) posted:

: Sharing texts with Felix, he tells you about a man named Kitamura Taro, who seems to have loaned money to his girlfriend Yuri under false pretenses, or an unusually strict interest rate. Felix can't help her anymore and he's worried something bad may happen if that money comes up short...

: Takashi takes the information that Felix provides and plumbs deep into social media for information on Taro - assuming he is a low level punk trying to grow his Gumi - and sees what he can find.

--Taking the path of least resistance, you check the internet for any information this Taro fella has casually posted of his own free will. On a He is offering "services of an unconventional nature" in side hustle lingo on a chitter feed and has a few autograph albums of him hanging out with a sultry dame.

: Unlikely as it may be, Takashi combs the feeds for anything to tip Taro's hand one way or the other towards any of the other smaller Gumis in the Kobe area. Enough that perhaps his cousin Kouta could point him in the right direction, or if persuaded, lend a pair of hands. Streetwise:1d20+11 14

---Seems Taro isn't that dumb.

: Well, plan B - maybe Kouta knows the name, or know who he runs with. Easy as breathing, Takashi opens up his messaging app and sends a quick text to Kouta, "Hey, you around?" if Kouta is available, "Got a favor to ask... does the name Kitamura Taro ring any bells? Do you know who this guy crews with?"

: After awhile, you get a reply from Kouta: "Never heard of him, not in anybody's crew."

: To Kouta, "Ah well. Thanks bro. That's better than what I turned up," then a few minutes later, "Don't forget your baby cousin when you run this place." Back the drawing board again, Takashi starts looking into the girl Taro was with - hoping that she's less tight lipped on social media. Thievery: 1d20+12 23 (the delicate art of sneaking on a girl's feed without letting her know you're looking any more than passingly)

---You find it difficult to creep on the girl without her name. Thinking fast, you try Reverse Doogle Image Search! A bit of routine searching turns up that this is a girl named Yuri, who seems to have scorched earth her social media presence aside from a minimalist profile on a webcam site.

: Takashi spools up his alternate profiles, the profiles he keeps for spying on social rivals and snooping around seriously, and then launches the profile on the cam site to see what he can gather while he glances at Takano's replies.

---The webcam site strictly warns you that this content is 18+.

: Takashi assures the website that he is 25, just like his profile says.

---There is no current live stream, but Yuri seems to be the kind of girl who puts on certain shows where gentlemen feel inclined to give her money for what they see... ... ... you're sure your door is locked, right?

: A lewd camera site! While few teenages probably watch this stuff, Takashi feels inclined to close the tab pretty swiftly... right after he snags a non-risque picture from her profile - if one exists! - for his building case of problems for Felix.

---You've got a pretty good line of proof for strongly urging Felix to sever from this shady dame, but you don't have what one dog might call The Kill. Taro and Yuri will probably continue running low level hustles and scams... it's feasible to try to meet one of them face to face. Taro may be impersonating gumi, or acting as a loan shark in defiance of well... the Yamaguchi-gumi's claim to the whole drat country. Taro seems feasible to contact online, and Felix has undoubtedly met Yuri face to face already..

: To Kouta, "Hey, about that favor. If you have 10, would rather tell you f2f"

---Kouta replies in the affirmative.

: When Kouta arrives, "Got a strong suspicion that Taro guy is trying to lend money in Uncle's town... and as a result he's scamming a friend of mine... with a girl," Takashi laughs, like being taken in by a girl is the dumbest thing ever, "But he's never going to believe me without better proof. I was thinking about setting up a deal to get it... but I'd feel a lot better if you had my back. And you're a bit more official than I am."

: Kouta arrives, looking a bit sharper than usual. Dressed to the nines, real nice family-style suit. "You're a pretty good details man, Tak. So, what do you want to do with this jackass? I say we break his legs, make doing his rounds a little impractical..." He chuckles darkly, but you're used to his long-time sense of black humor.

: Takashi reaches out to set up the meeting with Taro under a psudeonym, just for the sake of keeping his good name out of the gutter. To Kouta, "I was hoping to open up with a conversation, but if he wants to escalate to violence, I intend to win that fight."

: Kouta gives you a proper teasing worthy of his little sisters. "Why do you need me backing you then?" He winks. "I wouldn't bet against you."

---Later, you arrange a successful meeting with Taro in a public park. Lots of foot traffic. You can spot him enjoying a cigarette, a guy who dresses pretty nicely.

---CONTINUED

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 30, 2019

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Moon Social Link(Continued) posted:

: Observing from a distance, Takashi tries to see if Taro brought any backup, looking for people lingering too long or watching Taro closely. While doing that, he'll also see if Yuri showed up with Taro. Perception: 1d20+17 33

---He's... alone?

---Is this guy a total amateur or is he hiding the wagon he carried his balls in?

: Takashi pulls out his phone and throws on the recording app, tucking the phone back into his hoodie's pocket with the microphone facing outward before approaching Taro. Giving the universal nod for 'sup' when he gets close enough,Takashi approaches him.

: "Hey man. So you need a little help studying?" He shuffles one hand around in his coat pocket. Nobody gets into Tokyo U without a little brain boost, if you know what I'm sayin'."

: Eyeing the hand in the pocket, Takashi treies to covertly observe if that is a weapon or just a fidgety hand while he says, "Yeah, man, I've got a lot of distractions preventing me from studying. I figured you might be able to help me with that."

: Taro removes his hand from his pocket, revealing some hardline drugs. White powder in a small baggy.. "Now of course if you're aiming for a great school, mom and dad can afford it, right? Pure cut don't come cheap."

: "I heard you might also be in the loan business. Real short term. I'm good for it."

: "Yeah.. you've really heard a lot about me, huh.." Passive Insight: Clearly suspicious of you.

: "Nah, just a stab in the dark. Figure that doesn't come cheap, and you dress nice," Takashi rubs his arms like he's flustered, "even if you don't, maybe you know someone who does... I gotta get into University or my pops is going to kill me," he lowers his eyes to the path between them, trying to emulate Akio's constant state of lightly panicked embarrassment.

---(Roll Bluff, +2 for emulating an expert..)

: Bluff: 1d20+11 19

: Taro shrugs, pausing to exhale after a long drag. "How much do you need, kid?"

: "How much to keep me studying like a pro until midterms? I don't.. I don't really know how much I need."

: Taro's eyerbrows shoot up. "You wanna borrow money to buy from your lender? It don't work like that..."

: "Look, I've got some money, but not a ton... [Takashi names a sum that would buy 5-6 nice dates]... I just need enough to get through the tests."

: "Why don't you show me the money and get what that'll buy.."

: "Okay yeah. Yeah. Hey can I get a cigarette? My nerves are killing me."

: Taro gives you a flat stare. "No."

: Like a light switch, Takashi switches the Akio-lite demeanor off, "Well that's real unfortunate for you, friend. Guess I gotta take yours." Takashi swings a nice fist into his gut. Jarring Smash vs AC: 1d20+21 40 2d6+10 17

: "NANI" To your great surprise, Taro folds and coughs up blood. For a moment you briefly feel like .attak does... "WH-WHAT THE HELL?!" Hack, cough!

: Watching from a nearby alley, Kouta mouths "What the hell" himself..

: Using his already well trained strength, augmented by the reality bending that seems to follow he and his friends, Takashi takes Taro to the ground, restraining him as needed with an arm.

: Taro feebly swats at you with his free hand, clearly going for the eyes. "H-Hey! HELP! HELP! SOMEBODY!"

: "I really tried to be nice about this. I really did. Listen up, friend. You just admitted that you lent money and dealt drugs on the record... on someone else's turf. You ever think about whose turf that is? You ever think about what that means?"Intimidate: 1d20+16 29

: "Wh-what are you talking about?!" He seems properly terrified.

---Kouta gestures to you from the side, actively moving to deflect onlooker attention.

: "Maybe you got a side racket going where your girlfiend, [Takashi names her directly and by screen name], takes money off kids. You ever consider what happens when the wrong people get wind of that? I'm the wrong people," Takashi picks up Taro's fallen cigarette and holds it, waiting for a response.

: Taro yelps in pain. "What're the wrong people?! You watch too many movies, kid!"

: Setting the cigarette down on Taro's chest, Takashi takes out his phone, disables the recording and tucks the phone back away. "Hey K," Takashi says over his shoulder, "this guy doesn't know who runs Kobe," he picks the cigarette back up.

: Kouta steps up to you and makes the gesture again, indicating his clock. You need to wrap this up. He guides an older woman around the scene, advising her to "Please call a doctor, our Family friend here has had a fall."

: Taro starts with a shiver and a tremble! "N-no way, I-I'm just a guy with a side hustle! I d-don't wanna die!"

: Takashi nods to Kouta, then turns back to Taro, "Good. Self preservation is good. But if you want to stay breathing, your business just closed. Permanently. If I find you picked it back up, and I will find out, well, I can't make a lot of promises. You get me?"

---Taro stammers several variations of UNDERSTOOD and YES and bows his head about a dozen times.

: "Good. Glad we're on the same page," Takashi takes a quick drag from Taro's cigarette, barely alive after all this time, and then flicks it at Taro's ear before letting the boy go, rising to tap Kouta on the shoulder to let him know it's time to boogie. As he beats a fast escape from the area, he yells over his shoulder, "Glad you're feeling better Taro-kun! Hopefully my brothers won't need to run into you any time soon! Be seeing you!" and with that, he and Kouta disappear into the crowd.

Later that evening, Takashi texts Felix the details of Yuri and her lender, including some of the scandalous stuff, "I'm really sorry, man. This is... this is not at all what I expected. I hate that I have to tell you all this stuff. If you want, I'll help you confront Yuri, maybe get her to confess to it too. I knocked the legs out from under her lender, so she hopefully can't do this more guys."

: You don't receive a reply from Felix for a while. Just when you think it'll have to wait until tomorrow at school, it comes! "Thank you, Takashi. I can see that I made a big mistake and it stinks to accept that. Better than being tricked, at least... I'll break it off with her myself. Again, thank you!" You've done some good in the world! Appreciation for your friend briefly slows your perception of the night...

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Moon arcana...

Your Soulshell Bonus improves to Rank 3 and +2 Reflex!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 23, 2017

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

Friday Morning posted:

: Two days after your nightmare bento surprise from Noriko, you catch Itsumi and Madoka waiting at the school date for you, Akio. They exchange friendly greetings with you and Madoka steps up, holding a little lunch box with a graphic of a popular Hero Cat archetype from DDW. "You know, Akio, uhm, me and Sunny, we ah, we thought it was really awful what those girls did to you the other day. So we.. got you a gift!" Swallowing any fear, Madoka thrusts the offering towards you!

: "Oh?" Akio says, surprised. He accepts the lunch box and takes a peek under the lid. "Wow, it looks delicious. Thanks!" He says with genuine gratitude and smiles happily, just as he realizes that, wait... It looks home made. Which would mean that... Madoka and Itsumi had cooked lunch for him? They were probably just trying to be nice, but he couldn't help but feel a bit flustered! "D-Did you make this? I had no idea you could cook! Uh, not saying that I thought that you couldn't, either. Um..."

: Madoka grins and laughs a little, briefly twirling a finger through one of her locks of hair. "Really? Uh.. w-well, it was really Sunny's idea.." You can see Itsumi's face sour a little over Madoka's shoulder! "We just thought, you know, when you screamed during lunch, it was really awful what those stupid little imp girls did to you." Madoka puts on a proud little smile. "I'm glad you like it!"

: "Ah, I guess I did yell out loud when I ate that cursed plum, didn't I? Haha..." Akio laughs nervously and scratches the back of his head, unsure of how to respond to Madoka's somewhat unusual behavior. "Stupid little imps? Um, it wasn't that bad, really, and I kinda deserved it... So you don't have to get upset on my behalf. Not to say I don't appreciate your concern! It's very nice of you, uh, two..." He throws a brief glance at Itsumi before looking back at Madoka. "Hey, class is starting soon, so I should probably get going. I'm looking forward to lunch!" He taps on the bento and smiles. "See you later!"

---

: After lunch, Madoka corners you before class starts. "So how was it? Did I win?"

---

: "I-I-It'd still.. be with the.. morgue..." Yuki is startled by Noriko's question, but keeps herself together at Takashi's kind suggestion. "I'd like that..." Your group picks up some quality teas and coffees on this find Friday evening! Yuki offers to lead you all to Takamura's apartment, though you have time to pick up anything you think you might need to conduct your investigation, including purchasing rituals from Jennifer. As you travel, Yuki chats with you all a bit more, innocently peering into your ah, training and credentials... if you have any? She seems to think, courtesy of Takashi, that you're not just high school kids? And at one point she walks with Tsukiyo and marvels at her hair. "It's natural? You're so pretty like that..."

---

Takamura's Apartment
Music

Takamura's place matches the little tidbits you've heard about him. There's a few long-term oil spots staining the road alongside peel-out marks from tires and a noticeable empty space and dirt outline where some vehicles and heavy tool-boxes should be, yet are not. Yuki leads you to the front door and sighs deeply as she produces the key... she opens the door and you step into total darkness.

A moment later the lights are flipped on. Takamura lived in a small yet comfortable space, a bit messy yet completely his own. Big piles of automotive manuals, part catalogs and bike magazines are set around a very comfortably patch-work reclining chair, pin-up posters of cars and models alike break up the flat monotone coloring of the cheap walls and there's still ice cold beer in the refrigerator. The middle of the room has a little flat screen and a tidy keyboard attached to a Playstation 6(a console warrior?!) with VR headset set atop the console.

Set ominously between the recliner and the coffee table/console set up is a tape outline of a man who died kneeling, the shape small and compact, his body no doubt found upright somehow... despite being cleaned small flecks of blood and ash can be found if you peer closely. They're in the chair too.

: Yuki is tearing up. Her voice is strained. "I... I found him, and I ran away and called the police, and they wouldn't let me see him again. But w-what I saw, in that one glimpse.. was his eyes were seared... p-p-pure white..." A tear crosses her cheek in a moment and she crosses her arms across her chest, hands to her shoulders, like she was cold.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 2, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

"Hm? Yeah, it's from my mother's side of the family. Grandpa and Grandma weren't Japanese by birth." Tsukiyo answers somewhat bashfully, even though that kind of question was regularly asked from her.

Apartment

She gazes at the tape outline and puts her hand on her mouth. A grievous scene indeed... But is there any clue still after the police combed the whole place?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Friday - Takamura's Apartment

Akio felt apprehensive as Yuki unlocked the door to Takamura's apartment, but he also felt a bit excited, he'd never witnessed a crime scene with his own eyes before! And it was the scene of a murder to boot! It was almost like those detective novels he used to read as a kid...

A cold shiver runs down his spine as he spots the tape outline and the blood staining the floor right in front of Takamura's gaming rig. "His eyes were seared white?..." Yikes... If he'd been killed through DDW somehow... Ugh, best not to think too much about the implications of that too much for now. Although... Akio leans closer to Noriko and whispers in her ear, "I wonder if Takamura was wearing the VR headset when he was killed? We should do an object reading on it and see what we can find out about his death."

After looking around the room a bit more, Akio notices some things that does not seem quite right, and turns to Yuki. "Um, Yuki, are you okay with answering some questions? It'd help us a lot, I think. Takamura was into motor stuff, right? Did he own a bike or something? I couldn't help but notice there were some empty spots outside where his wheels should be. Where did they go? Oh, and did you have to replace the locks and door to the apartment? I couldn't see any obvious damage on the outside, was there any signs of forced entry?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Friday - Takamura's Apartment

Noriko nods to Akio. "right. i bet the headset has the most psychic energy of anything in the room... it should give us a good reading."

Taking a moment to look around the room, she stops and crouches down by the tape outline on the floor, looking over the area around the outline carefully, noting the specs of blood that had still managed to evade any clean-up. Getting up for just a moment, she moves into the tape outline and kneels, placing her hands on her knees. "uncomfortable... did he play like this...?" after taking a moment to think, she looks over to Yuki. "hey... was he... um..." she tries to find a delicate way to put it but probably falls short. "...executed? the blood, and the position on the floor..."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

: "He loves bikes, he had two! But the police say his personal bike was stolen... uhm, he worked as a mechanic and had a "prize" bike he stored at the garage.." She seems surprised by Akio's attention to detail and looks from side to side for a bit, then ah-hahs and gestures to the bed-space. "They found it outside! If you go around back, the window was damaged!"

Indeed, if you head outside and walk around to the back of the building, there is a window to Takamura's apartment overlooking his futon. Calling it forced entry might be a bit of a stretch. The window is wholly intact and undamaged! The frame of it is strangely charred the entire way around and upon closer inspection you can see strange, very tiny geometric grid, as though somebody had cut into the stone with some impossibly precise and overly complicated tool.

Back inside Noriko asks a hard question and Yuki immediately begins to waver. "H-He was... t-there was clearly a r-robbery too... Ohhhhh... Takki..." Her voice cracks and she wipes at her eyes with her hands, further irritating them.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

She takes a deep breath for a moment, trying to imagine what Takamura's last moments might have been like as she kneels in the imprint his corpse left behind, feeling a shiver run down her spine. "murder is pretty uncommon here... i don't know why a robber would go to these lengths... this seems really personal. we know he was on the bad side of some people in D-D-W... the very bad side... did he have any other enemies? Like, the... the... kind of people who could get a gun in japan?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

: "No.. he was the sweetest guy..." Her smile and optimism: gone. Yuki is clearly miserable. "W-who cares about that game?! Nobody would kill him over that!" Bitter disgust rings through the last sentence.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

"If he was gaming when it happened, someone could have snuck from behind without him noticing. But if it was a gun the noise would have made the neighbors noticed, Noriko-san..." Tsukiyo approaches the window Yuki mentioned, examining it for any ways it was possibly damaged before returning to the others. "Maybe a sword or a knife...?"

Perception: 1d20+10 20

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"There's no way this cut was made with some sort of tool from our world, it's way too... delicate," Akio comments as he runs his finger along the thin charred fracture around the window. "So what could've done it?" He furrows his brow as he thinks about it. He still thought this murder was likely related to the great game and DDW, was there a power or item or something from the game world that would be able to do something like this?

Arcana: 1d20+27 33
Background Benefit: Arcana Reroll: 1d20+27 44

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Friday - Takamura's Pad (#beatthemidterms)

Taking a moment to survey the damage, Takashi doesn't say anything while his friends conjecture. As he happens upon cold beer in the fridge, he cracks open a bottle against the countertop, collecting the cap and depositing it in the trash as though nothing were the matter. Sipping the brew as though it were the most ordinary thing ever, Takashi doesn't spend all of his time at any particular spot, instead making a circuit of all the spaces. Signs of a break-in, without the usual hallmarks but instead a weird cut window frame stands out, but then so too do the missing objects, and certainly the ashes and blood.

"I don't think this was anything so mundane as a Gumi job, Noriko-chan. All the usual signs are missing," he takes a quick sip, "but its also strange that things were stolen, unless that was just a cover for the greater crime."

Stealth: 1d20+12 31 - Expert knowledge of how to conceal things for a bonus to spotting concealed and deliberately misleading clues.
Perception: 1d20+17 32 - the aforementioned spotting.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

"ah... the expert opinion, huh?" Noriko cooly remarks. "i'll take your word for it. so... just weirdos left, ne?"

Standing from her seat in the tape circle, she looks around the room for a moment, trying to get a grasp of the room's dimensions and how she imagined the energy in the room would flow. She considered the ritual she had performed with Akio and focused less on the specifics and more on the underlying principles... she could throw out the magic circles, the one the police had provided was more than enough to open the gate to the other side, and she knew the psychic connection between the headset and the events that took place here should be incredibly strong... She could use the headset as a looking glass, streaming the vision into the crystalline matrix of the OLED screen, and sync it up with the nearby TV for the rest of the group to see.

Taking a step back from the circle, she looks over the area thoughtfully. "a circle sealed in blood by men of virtue, at the precise spot of a traumatic death... this place... it's perfect!" Noriko feels a thrill of excitement but does her best to cram it down, not wanting to upset Yuki any further. She could empathize, as much as she could empathize with anyone anymore. "if this works, what we could see could crush her... maybe i should talk to her first..."

"hey, Yuki-san..." Noriko says, pushing aside her anxiety as she approaches. "i'm sorry if i've made you feel worse. i don't think before i talk sometimes... i know grief... i... i don't want to repeat anything you've already heard a lot from everyone... i can't bring takamura back or make it stop hurting, but... i know we can find out who did this and make them pay for it. i hope that's something, at least." she shrugs. "so, listen... i'm going to do something strange... let's call it... esoteric computer hacking. if it works, we can pull an image, sort of, of what happened from his VR goggles. it's something the police wouldn't have been able to do... I don't know how much we'll be able to see, but... um... seeing it happen is different. I... I don't know if you want that. you might want to step outside when we do this."

Diplomacy: Reassure Yuki
Diplomacy: 1d20+21 34

(i'll do the ritual post tomorrow)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

: "No! I want to see it! How can.. how can I rest not k-knowing who did this, or why?!" Yuki grips Noriko's shoulders and looks her eye to eye! Her eyes are wet, but she's resolute!

Arcana: The window entry is intriguing in that it was forced, yet the window is fully intact and the frame is completely uncompromised. The perfect grid cutting reminds you of the miscellaneous matter conjuring or dispersing effects used to build Mindscapes in DDW. Did somebody apply literal terraforming to the real world?! The unmistakable presence of precise, powerful magic is here! The burn marks seem to be a byproduct of an impossible process of adjusting matter.. it's not paint, or scorching, the small black outline is literally new matter! Seems to be... obsidian?!

Perception: There's no presence of matter or passage from the window through Takamura's bedroom or bed, further lending credit to how perfectly immaculate the window was moved. Examining the room with an eye for sneaky details, you notice that several items in private areas are disturbed: clothing is shoved to one side of dresser drawers, photo frames are undamaged yet stand empty on nightstands, and even the hard-drive of Takamura's Playstation 6 has been removed! You discover the barest bit of dried blood on the console, where plastic gives way to the hard metal of computer components... injured while removing it! The console still turns on, at least.

Takamura's apartment has been cleaned of anything that might identify him. There's no wallet or IDs of any kind. There's also nothing related to friends or family, or even Yuki. He hardly seems like a private or solitary guy...

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Takamura's apartment

Itsumi notices the lack of any personal attachments and shakily notes, "There's... no picutres in here... I wonder if whoever did this is going to go after them next..."

---

School

Pulling Madoka aside before lunch, Itsumi asks a small, meaningful question relating to her situation with Ichiro, "What do you know about Chizuru and her relationship to Ichiro? And do we know anything about him at all? I can't keep doing all of his work. It's just not right!"

---

(sorry for the short post and the silence for a while, i've been pretty ill since even before the holidays)

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio is shocked by his findings, but they seemed undeniable. Mindscaping, or a technique just like it, done in real life. To do something like that outside the virtual world probably required both a high level of mastery and large amounts of Fate. Akio really did not like where all the signs were suddenly pointing. He looks around him, feeling exposed and a bit scared standing alone outside in the cold light rain. He tries to shake it off, but nevertheless finds himself picking up the pace as he heads around the building and back inside the apartment to let the others know of his findings.

Catching wind of the discussion inside as he enters, he chimes in. "I don't think so, Itsumi. I'm pretty sure whoever did this was after something in particular. Something only Takamura would have. The pictures could have disappeared as a result of the mindscaping, maybe?" He explains about his findings outside. "...But I guess the pictures could also have been taken along with the hard drive for whatever reason," he sighs. "We still have a few tricks up our sleeve, though." He nods to Noriko. "Let me know if you need any assistance with the reading."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

"An attempt to steal his identity? No, it wouldn't make sense, they wouldn't let his dead body inside if that was the case..."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Friday - Takamura's Apartment \\ A Cybernetic Ritual!

As the group wraps up their investigation Noriko enlists their help in clearing some space around the tape circle on the floor, having them move the recliner against the wall. While they move the recliner, she scoops up some of the stacks of books and magazines into her arms, rearranging them seemingly at random around the room; while there seems to be some method to the madness, Noriko doesn't waste time explaining herself.

Grabbing a beer from the fridge, Noriko pops the top but doesn't take a drink, setting the open bottle in front of the tape circle on the floor. Noriko sets candles on the floor at five points around the tape circle, stopping just before lighting the candles to ask Yuki; "hey... did Takamura smoke? um.. if you have any of his cigarettes... and, uh, can you dim the lights, please? very low..."

(If yes, Noriko lights the cigarette and sets it down in an ashtray, which she will then hold in her lap.)

Kneeling in the middle of the tape square again, she lights the candles and sets the beer down between her knees. Donning the VR headset, she powers the unit on, and a moment later syncs it up to the TV, streaming the image of the system menu to the external display. The sorry state of the console hardware didn't matter, as she wasn't intending to even try to run a game, let alone DDW. Inputting a command sequence on the keyboard, Noriko calls a debug menu out of the background. Searching the menu, she smiles at what she sees. "oh! it's still here... good." she picks an odd option off the menu - "FM TUNER"

"they used to put these tuners in just about everything but now it's a dead spectrum... instead of using a different chipset they just hide it behind a menu..." clicking the option on the menu, it takes her to a very simple screen, just showing a basic sound visualizer and the channel number. The hiss of static is all that can be heard on channel after channel. "hm... kind of mournful, huh?"

Flipping the dial on the tuner to a random channel, it lands on (94.9), the growl of static as present and unchanging here as it is on the rest of the spectrum. Noriko takes a swig off the beer, before setting it to her right in a deliberate motion, placing it exactly 90 degrees to her side. (if she has Takamura's cigarette, she takes a long drag, sets it back down in the ashtray, and sets it to her left, in exactly the same fashion.) Placing her hands on her knees, she focuses intently on the static. There's a long moment of silence where nothing seems to happen, or like anything is going to happen - just a room full of teenagers and an adult who should know better wasting time on something ridiculous. Noriko mulls over the flavor of the beer, takes a deep breath, catching a whiff of the cigarette on the air. Gradually the static seems to change, waxing and waning in intensity, as Noriko begins to waver slightly in her place.

Noriko slumps over slightly, remaining on her knees as she falls into a trance-like state as she focuses deeper and more intently on the white noise, searching for something else, a faint pattern in an ocean of formless sound. Despite the poor shape of the hardware and the lack of system intensive work going on, the indicator lights on the unit seem to be fully ablaze, as if it was receiving and processing a tremendous amount of data. The sound of the static is growing louder now, still waxing and waning in intensity, at it's peaks sounding like a gale of wind or vacuum that might pull you in. Noriko throws herself deeper inward.

She sheds her ego, detaching her consciousness from reality long enough to grasp the unreal. In this unhallowed place she could confront it directly and steal it back to the waking world. Floating for an eternity in the endless sea of nothing she finds the needle in the haystack, diving towards it as fast as she can. The static on the screen begins to give way, pulling back like the sound of a receding tide. The static on the screen seems to lurch and twist, the beads of static whirling on an axis like a spiral galaxy.

Noriko latches onto the sound and finds it's source, so close to her this whole time but so difficult to find. Grabbing onto it with her unconscious mind, she feels a thrill of pride as she lurches the tear Takamura's death had caused open. Bit by bit her ego returns and her grip on unreality begins to slip. She'd opened the gate a crack... She couldn't let go now! Reaching inwards, she fully embraces her ego anew, calling on Memento-Mori to boost her psychic presence just enough to rip the small tear wide open. The static returns with a tremendous roar, a howling gale that blares through the apartment, as Noriko is rejected from the space with an abrupt lurching jolt.

The lights in the apartment brighten in intensity and the smell of ozone catches on the air as the screen flashes in a series of bright colors before crashing spectacularly; one of the lightbulbs in the room pops from the surge in power, before they all dim back to where they were before. The headset reboots and Noriko lets out a loud groan as she returns to her physical self, the sudden shock of her return and the jolt of psychic force leaving her feeling physically hung over and emotionally bruised. Her head pounding, she reaches up to her nose, wiping away a stream of blood, leaving behind a crimson smear.

"ah... heh... i did it..."

The system seems to have been rebooted, but instead of the normal system menu there is instead some sort of security camera interface. It seems to currently show five different feeds of the room, exactly as it is now, all from different angles. Underneath each is a set of menu options ; it seems to be waiting on input for each feed. Buttons and UI elements seem to be labeled in weird and creepy ways; "VOYEUR" instead of "Play", or a constantly present "TIME OF DEATH:" label next to the timestamp on the feed...

"five things... we can see five things that happened relating to this object... let's make them count... that was... taxing."

--Perform Object Reading Ritual
Arcana: 1d20+23 24
TF Reroll: Arcana rerolls: 3#1d20+23 28 43 43
-1 Surge

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 31, 2017

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Knowing better than to disturb her while she is performing the ritual, Akio stands by and watches Noriko nervously as she reaches into the realm beyond, both with keen interest in her new take on the ritual proceedings, but also concerned that she may be delving too deep this time. As soon as the ritual terminates and she recoils back into consciousness, he's by her side and gives her support. "You're bleeding!" He says with clear worry. Always prepared for a heavy nosebleed, Akio quickly fishes up a pack of tissues from his bag and hands her one to staunch the blood flow. "Here, then pinch your nose like this and it'll clot faster..." He then gives her shoulder a little rub and smiles meekly at her. "Nice work, but you don't have to bear the burden alone, you know..."

He looks up at the screen and reaches for the keyboard. "We should probably start with seeing what happened when Takamura used the headset for the last time..." He navigates the menu for one of the video feeds and enters the search query. "And let's see if we can find out who took the hard drive, too." He goes to the next feed and types in another query. "Three more... What do you all think?"

Let's view:
1. The last time Takamura used the headset.
2. The person that took the hard drive.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Catching up.)

Thursday

Thursday Night posted:

: Logging into DDW the same night as the Nekketsu caper, you're immediately greeted by your Velvet Room attendent offering you an armful of letters. Each is filled with a demand for explanation from Miyuki... and before you can even get settled in she's sending you an angry tell! "Chavez-san, I hope you have a real explanation for all of this now! You really hurt Yoshito today!"

: Ah jeez ah jeez ah jeez she's really pissed off, huh? Tsukiyo sends a hurried reply to her, getting increasingly flustered as she goes through the backlog of letters. "I-I didn't meant to, I needed to get away and he wouldn't let me go!"

: The "door" to your Velvet Room is blown open as Miyuki appears, in the flesh(?!)... ah, no, she just has an Avatar that reflects her almost down to photo-realism. A strong sense of self!? Save for the one mechanical arm, it'd really be her! She points at you! "Didn't mean it?! I think you meant to escape, as you got away! You even made poor Miss Nakajima sick!"

: Flagelo does several genuflecting emotes, something that really contrasts with her tough girl avatar! "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, it's just I had to let Icch-I mean my friend go and she needed a distraction! Awawawa, why did I even go there in first place..."

: "A DISTRACTION!? WHY DID YOU GO, HUH!" Miyuki's fuming!

: Tsukiyo's in a pinch! There's no way she can fully explain the circumstances without looking like a lunatic, and she doesn't want to lie either! "M-my friend was trapped at the nurse's office, I had to find a way to bail her out!"

: Miyuki gawks for a second. "... How was she trapped in the nurse's office?!"

: "She was looking for medical records."

: Your new hard-won "friend" glares at you with the burning fires of justice in her eyes. "Stealing medical records?"

: She shakes her head with resigned determination. "She took nothing and didn't intended to do so. There was no stealing involved."

: "Trespassing! Breaking and entering! Violation of privacy! Whose records, and why?!"

: "....... Someone from Naoki apparently..."

: "... Ehh?"

---Your Velvet Room is joined by somebody new, their nameplate linked to Miyuki's via a Partying Frame. One_Made_Man has joined the chat!

: Looks like a ridiculously over the top badass devil vampire gangster!? "That's right. I heard it from the Vice Principal. Hey, Chavez... you really broke my back yesterday!" He laughs, his voice barely filtered aside from a popular echo reverb. Yoshito!?

: Miyuki grumbles. "I don't understand. Why not check Naoki's records?"

: "Sunbright-san only found out that after she failed to secure them. It was from... The vice-principal, I believe."

: "But you keep dancing around it. Why are you after this record? Who is it for? As the Head of the Disciplinary Committee, I can't let any dangers pass between these two schools so freely!"

: "I... Cannot really say why, but it's for a just reason, to stop someone who is hurting people around the city."

: "Tsukiyo..."

: "... Hmm, Chavez, you know..." He crosses the distance of the room to place his hand on your shoulder. About the same strength as the chase, but this time in a comforting fashion. "You have to trust others, to help you do the right thing."

: She relents, and lets out a sigh. Then it might as well be the time to share with them what she knows...

: Sharing your knowledge of and involvement with the Great Game and your true encounter with Joker, you wait for a reaction... Miyuki seems caught in thoughtful contemplation. Yoshi's Avatar points at you and shouts! "Hey, you expect us to buy all that poo poo?!"

: "But isn't it familiar with what we've seen... and what He has told us?"

: She expected Yoshi's reaction. But not Yuki's. "...He?"

: Nekketsu's Banchou."

: "Eeehhh?! So that's the one Manami-san told me about... But errr... As the disciplinary squad... Shouldn't you be supposed to suppress the Banchou?

---Miyuki and Yoshi shake their heads in unison.

: "He's an honorable sort. Really old-fashioned."

: "Nekketsu irons out thugs, but we have the reputation.. we attract a lot of them, students and outsiders. He kind of sorts them out on the side." They briefly idle and message bubbles drift between the two.

: "On the side, huh..." Tsukiyo mutters to herself in a voice low enough to not be picked by the mic before addressing the two. "Can you introduce me to him then?"

---The two nod to you.

: "He's actually a fan of DDW, I hear.."

: ".. But he says you should meet face to face, tonight!"

: "Pardon me?! Like, just now?"

: Miyuki folds her arms and stares you down. "... Is that a problem? You don't seem like the type for curfew."

: *sigh * "Fine. Where?"

: "It's a popular little spot, maybe you've heard of it.. uhm.." She checks something on a pop-up message. "Owl Night Long?"

: "Er, do you mean 'All night long'?"

: Yoshi shakes his head. "Nope. Owls. He'll meet you at the park across the street."

: Tsukiyo emotes again an apologetic bow. "I see... Then perhaps I might have to clear this with him then. Good bye." After picking her bokken, putting on a jacket, closing her door and turning off the lights, Tsukiyo immediately opens up the window of her room. Her family's garden and the wall around it are the only separating her from the street. A few weeks ago she would think twice before doing this, but now... She gives a massive leap, crossing the air effortlessly before she lands with one feet right atop the wall, then with a hop she lands on the house's entrance. To the park!

---CONTINUED

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thursday Night Tsukiyo's Rendezvous posted:

---A decent way into the city, Owl Night Long would normally demand a trip by public transport, but the cover of darkness prompts you to move quickly of your own accord. You soon arrive outside the correctly named Owl Night Long, a coffee bar and cafe that picks up when the sun sets. You don't spot anything unusual, certainly no large groups of hooligans waiting for somebody. Even the small landscaped park across the street is empty save for passing couples heading home. The cafe smells divine... baked sweets...

: With her bokken slung on her back, but well hidden inside her jacket, Tsukiyo carefully scans the surroundings, standing in front of the cafe's front entrance as she looks for anyone that seems to be alone.

---You spot a familiar Nekketsu face...

: He's tall, but so are you, so he's just a few inches taller. He's muscular and even wider than usual, wearing a Nekketsu uniform jacket on his shoulders. He's ... waiting patiently beside the line with an order ticket.

: Approaching the large student, yet not daring to attract his attention, Tsukiyo enters the line, waiting for him to take his order.

: A cheerful barista presents him with an overly elaborate whipped-cream topped iced coffee, a straw emerging from the chocolate-flaked foam. He enthusiastically pays up and prepares to savor his treat!

: A hesitant poke. "Er... Hello? Miyuki-san and Yoshio told me about you?"

: Uwooo! He samples the drink with great gusto! After that mighty sip, he looks over his shoulder and seems momentarily stunned to see you. He turns to face you and clears his throat. "Hrmm.. it's you, again. And you sound exactly like the girl that tore up Nekketsu this week.. three times you've crossed us."

: "You are the Banchou from that place, right?" Well, that's disappointing. She expected someone more impressive than the gate guard from that time!

: He gets serious immediately! "Some call me that, I guess.. Nekketsu has less need of a leader than most. Or it used to... why's a savage warrior like you busting up my school?"

---Passive Insight: Voice is faintly familiar..

: "I-it wasn't my intention to begin with! I was just doing reconnaissance in the school before things went wrong!"

: "Chavez Tsukiyo... sister of Chavez GENJURO." He practically growls the word. "... Miyuki said you didn't know a lot about that.. I mean, you wouldn't pass the sins of the father to the son, so siblings isn't fair either... You did some pretty messed up things yourself, though. What were you reconning?"

: "...About whether someone who attacked me and my friends was from Nekketsu. Someone called Joker." Her expression is really serious!

: "Ah, hold it. Did you want anything? And it's only fair, if I know who you are, that I introduce myself..."

: "!" A time to draw her weapon?

: He gestures to the menu, you now being at the front of the line and holding it up. The barista inquires politely: "Excuse me, Miss..?"

: Tsukiyo sidesteps away from the line. "Sorry! Not asking anything now!"

: Nekketsu Banchou raises a finger and makes a quick order. "Hot chocolate, please." After a brief moment for such a simple order, you receive your drink, he pays for it and he gestures to a table outside. ".. Like I was saying, my name is Igarashi Fujio." He sits and partakes of his own drink.

: "...And your DDW handle, Fujio-san?" She says while wordlessly mixing the chocolate with a spoon, waiting for it to cool for a bit.

: He lowers his drink and pauses to savor it. ".. Ah, it's a rare treat for me, sorry." He clears his throat again. At the exact moment you go to take your first sip, he clears his throat again and puts on a very familiar voice, affecting the dialect and pacing of an ancient old man. "But really, we've met twice before seriously, and this is the true third... you know me online as Heart!"

---CONTINUED

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thursday Night Tsukiyo's Rendezvous posted:

: That jackoff tank! Of course! "You!" Gah, why did she even bother coming if he's from Gank Inc.?

: "... So it's easy for me to believe your story. I saw the deception that little Cat tried to pull with all of us."

: ...But then again he was the most reasonable one of that group. "Yes, and... This person I'm chasing. The 'Joker'. My friends think he is a murderer."

: Fujio returns to his normal voice. "And your search suggested he would be at Naoki.. but truly, someone is messing with everything. In game and outside it."

: Tsukiyo eventually sips her chocolate now that's merely warm. "And that's what is stumping us at the moment..."

: Fujio raises a finger confidently! "We should work together!"

: That's really sudden! Are all Nekketsu boys like that?! "I-I uh... Of course. Yes."

: Fujio smiles. "I'm glad you agree. This rivalry between our schools... and our adversity online... I thought you might turn me down."

: "Well... I guess the former is my big brother's fault." Tsukiyo shakes her head. "Although if you were Mapple or one of the others I would have a harder time considering."

: He chuckles. "I guess so." As the two of you sit and enjoy the pleasant cool setting, Fujio asks politely: "Do you always carry a weapon, Tsukiyo?"

: "Only when I imagine I might need it." She cooly responds.

: "Huh! You remind me of... Miyuki! Though we don't have a Kendo club... really, mine own bokken is just for show."

: An immediate blush!

: "If it came down to it, I'd use my fists..." He sips at the last of his drink. "Ah, I've been a boxer since middle school." He seems a bit awkwardly caught out and chuckles. "That is.. uh, when you and your friend tried to sneak in..."

: Ah yeah, when she managed to make him cower like a puppy, no? "About that...?"

: ".. Well, trained fists are like real weapons, so it'd have been really bad if I beat you two up.." He chuckles again.

: That would be quite unlikely to happen, but out of politeness, Tsuki decides to not bring that up. "Beating up two girls would probably be a bad image for the Banchou too."

: He laughs. "Yeah! But Nekketsu has people that'd fight anyone..." He sets his finished drink aside. ".. You know, I did hear that you beat up Miyuki a bit. And threw Yoshi.."

: "Self defense!"

: Fujio holds up a hand. "No, no! I understand! It's.. well, it's really cool, honestly! I heard Naoki had a lady banchou..." His eyes take on a sharp, knowing edge. "You must be her?"

: ".... I... I guess no one else but me would fit that." She says with a downcast expression. With Manami defeated there are no other people to take the place.

: "They told me I'd be meeting the vandal from the other day, but to thrash the disciplinary squad..." He glows a bit. "That's amazing. And to meet you, Flagelo, the powerful striker... a real cool beauty." He seems thoughtful for a bit. "Though I did hear it was another girl who was their leader.." Manami's angry little shark-toothed glare does fit the perfect image of a hooligan girl!

: C-Coool BEEEAUTY? That's too much! Feeling a little light-headed, the girl takes the rest of her hot chocolate. "I'm sorry Fujio-san but... I-I gotta go now."

: Fujio stands. "It is getting a bit late.. it was good to meet you, Tsukiyo! I think this can do a lot of good for both schools!" The air is getting heavier... ah, maybe for another reason. It feels like a dependable bond, forged in the unlikely fires of rivalry:

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Emperor arcana...

Your Soulshell gains +1 Attack/Damage/Healing to Support Persona of the Emperor arcana, as well as Second Winds now grant Shift 2! (If you already have similar effects tied to Second Wind, add this to them.)

: Fujio turns and casts an arm up, the Nekketsu uniform billowing a bit. "Though, I hope we won't see each other Friday, yeah? It'll take a bit longer than that... goodbye, Tsukiyo."

: Hopefully he won't be there during the rally, Tsukiyo thinks to herself as she takes the path back home. But at least she knows her group at least has more allies around town.

---As you return to your room, you feel the cool soothing night wind and bask in the passing moonlight. Something is on your side today, as Grandmother and even Genjuro are sound asleep. Stowing your bokken and getting ready to go to sleep, you settle into bed and get ready to drift off.

Suddenly it hits you that you went to a popular cafe and shared drinks with a boy.

: "Awawa!!!"

---

: On Friday you receive a text from Miyuki. "Fujio says you're a decent person, so I'll trust you again, Tsukiyo." This brings you great relief!

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Strength arcana...

Your Soulshell bonus to Support Personas of the Strength arcana increases to +2 Attack/Damage/Healing!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 20, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

Passive Insight: Turning on the console and manipulating the headset and keyboard, you discover a floating bit of recorded data. It seems to have been saved in a passive "last recorded" quality of life feature intended to keep the absent-minded from forgetting to save gathered data. Looks like a streaming entry, dated April 5th 2026, very late at night. Later than the Zombiepalooza run? Without a harddrive the data can't be saved, but it remains in the "cloud" and can be viewed!

: Yuki blushes, cupping her own cheek with grace. "Taki always said I was the only drug he needed..." No cigarettes!

Ritual Results: The last time Takamura used the headset was the night he died. You see a shadowy outline standing before him in the apartment before everything is flooded out by an overwhelming red light.

The person who took the hard drive... a different silhouette, using a fox-faced mask to hide their identity. They struggle with the hard drive for a second and clearly nick their finger wrenching it out, where metal meets plastic.

You have three more images to call up!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

"Hm... How about the last time Takamura felt distressed or threatened when using it? That could serve as a clue if he was aware he was in danger..."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Noriko nods at Tsukiyo. "maybe... or it could just end up being a PVP match he got really wound up on..."

She considers the last questions for a minute, deep in thought. She thought it might be a stretch within the confines of the ritual, but Takamura had been the headset's owner, and his death had been so close... The sensors and microphone would have registered his death even if it wasn't saved anywhere. If they knew how he was killed, maybe they'd better be able to identify his killer when they inevitably met.

4. How did Takamura die?

Selecting the fifth text box, she hesitates for a moment. is this violating his memory? his privacy? she wonders, pausing for a brief moment before shrugging it off. The game took place in the VR space... If Takamura ever talked about it anywhere, it was in DDW. Maybe the goggles would have some memory of it?

5. What was Takamura's goal in The Great Game?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"Hey, look, there's a recording! Maybe his hard drive had more, but we can at least see the last thing he did in game." Akio loads up the recording and lets it play.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

: "W-who's that?! And who's THAT!? And how'd they do that?! If it's fire, wouldn't the room be torched?!" Yuki indignantly yells at the TV!

More images drift in. The last time Takamura was using the headset and felt threatened or distressed... the image warps to a distant time, the in-game calendar pointing to January. Takamura is wearing the headset and soundlessly yelling at somebody over it, very warped and artificial images of White Blade and the kobold sorcerer in ORDER, Thaddeus. It's clearly an arguement...

Takamura's death is reexamined in closer detail. As this is an object reading, all you can perceive is a thin hand rising in a gesture emblematic of conjuring magical power in a RPG. The blinding white flash is generated and whatever it was, it ended Takamura's life and accounted for the condition his body was found in.

You try for something broader, truly testing the limits of this simple ritual. It can't produce an accurate response... an image of the five elites of ORDER appear like a classic villain backdrop, presenting Thaddeus, Isabelle, Bishop, Fenrir and Charlotte. Considering the passage of time, Royal wouldn't be considered one of their elite, instead earning her accolades a week ago, after Takamura's death. Seems Takamura was standing against them, at least.

VR Playback: Sunday, April 5th, 11:03 PM posted:

: You're viewing things from Takamura's point of view and get an Overseer's tactical map view of the Zombiepalooza run. You've seen this all before, though now Akio and Itsumi are intimately familiar with the details as well. New footage begins with Takamura returning to his Velvet Room, notably more vibrant and radical with him being alive and in it and all. His Velvet Room attendant, on second look, is clearly Yuki in a deep blue short skirt and halter top, stomach exposed and classically pretty in a pin-up model sort of way. Takamura winks and gestures to her like a playboy and sorts through his inventory briefly, producing his loot token from looting Royal's Mindscape. "Hmm.. I hope she forgives me for this, eventually." He pens a quick in-game delivery to Itsumi and sends it off to her, the ethereal red strands of fate briefly shimmering from his heart to the mask. A neat eruption of brimstone catches his attention as he hands the gift off for delivery.

: A massive figure clad entirely in black iron plate sits atop a heavily muscled headless horse, carrying a heavy iron sickle, large enough to be a greatsword in a mere human's hands. A single eye glares out from the helmet at Takamura and the two are wrapped in an aura of red malice. This type of creature... it seems a bit unusual, like it isn't part of the usual design aesthetics for DDW. "I hath born witness to thine efforts. Your stay of execution is granted."

: "Getting others involved in this still doesn't feel right, ya know." Takamura turns to face the rider and crosses his arms, glaring up at him with confidence.

: "Thy price paid for thy failures earned, mortal. Know this. The Game always permits a path forward, yet harbors no pity for thee that falls crossing it." With a simple raising and slashing motion the Rider tears open a brutal portal and departs the room, leaving Takamura frowning.

: "Deals with the devil, huh..." His attendant waves and steps over to Takamura, bouncing a bit with each step. She has fresh mail! Takamura grins and looks the three stylized texts over. "I got a feelin' where this is goin'!" He opens them...

: Red Charlotte's text dances across an unfurled scroll with military precision, matching the taciturn message: "You'll know humility the second you step into a neutral space, scum." Takamura chuckles and crumples it up, immolating it with a quick delete. He checks the next one.

: Polite prose with a flowery pink script. "Aren't you being a little reckless?" Takamura rolls his eyes and archives that one before opening the last letter.

: "We need to talk." Just a post-it with machine-printed type. Takamura pumps his fist and moves to exit the room, shouting "HELL YEAH WE DO!" He warps out as the Yuki-Attendant cheers.

---
Music

Bishop's Mindscapes are known across the entire playerbase as dungeons that test the absolute limit of player generated design. There's no end to how many wicked devices, workarounds and inverted pieces slammed into others he'll employ to achieve a desired effect, usually a hellish or dystopian marvel of imaginary construction. A classic in all gaming, the Tower of Destruction is modeled after those infamous climbs through a trap-laden hell. Here in one of these impossibly large towers is a madman's obstacle course, the outline changing each day. For every day the Mindscape annihilates itself and captures that perfect essence of destruction in one cooldown-restricted epic level crafting material!

: Here Takamura's UI comes up as he zones in as a solo player. 22nd Level Monk, Four Wind's Master Prestige, Destined Scion Epic Destiny, +6 Ki Focus and Armor, full gear slots and all double digit levels... a dependable guy! It makes White Blade's mention of being in ORDER a lot more concrete! And as you see firsthand, Takamura has the skills to match. He navigates a shifting mire of erupting spikes, searing gouts of flame, whirling buzzsaws and suddenly shifting grinders with expert precision, essentially blazing through the area off incredible Athletics and Acrobatics motions that nullify much of the threat! When needed he delivers a resounding blow, shattering some piece of vital machinery or architecture and racing across the ensuing explosion in a well-timed multi-Shift! You're not sure if one of Bishop's towers is ever supposed to end, or if those that claim they've cleared one are keeping what waits at the end a well-guarded secret... but before long Takamura has ascended to the apex and picks a spot to stand in a cocky idle animation, defying death by resting atop a rapidly slashing and resetting massive scythe blade anchored to a set of pistons and gears. Each slash just raises his knee a bit as he stands at ease in the blind spot at the center of the mass. A system message pops up before a horrible sea of noise starts up:

Attended By The Master Of This World

*CRASH! BANG! SKITTER! SKITTER! SHUDDERRRRR!!! TIKITA-TIKITA-TIKITA-TIKITA-TIKITA-TIKITA-TIKITA-CLANGLANGCLANGCLANG!*

Bishop

A colossal, sinister mechanical arachnid peels apart a corner of the room and pulls itself in, flawlessly maneuvering eight legs across the machinery of the tower without interfering with any of the overly elaborate operations or risking a misstep into a trap. The clear homage to some long forgotten bit of art is evident in the design, the wickedness of the machine's appearance altered only slightly to blend in with the darkness of the room, the mechanical bits colored to match the rest of the tower's tileset. Takamura watches patiently as the giant threat takes up the center of the room and suspends itself near the ceiling, hooked chains erupting from the rear legs and torso of the monster. The eight eyes of the face click rapidly as they oscilate about the room until settling on Takamura at which point they are all covered and the blood-red dome atop the head spirals open, revealing Bishop's detached head anchored to it!

: "Speed-running! Of all the cock-sure things to do, you! You! YOU VAGABOND IMBECILE! You've got my attention, all right!"

: Takamura uncrosses his arms and flicks a thumb across his lower tusk. "I didn't come here ta kiss yer rear end fer bein' autistic, pal."

: Bishop's voice swiftly cools, ringing across a dry tone, analytical and precise. "No, you did not. You've jumped our little tenderroot already, haven't you. Raised up a fresh pack of fools. So long as you promise them glory and victory, the prideful will come, will they not?"

: "Hey, they're good kids! S'like Red always says, no point bein' elite if'n ya ain't raisin' others up. I figure a packa twats like you ain't what's best for this grand prize... besides, what do you care about some scrubby rear end flavor of the month healer? Surprised she didn't go Skald!"

: A hollow mechanical clicking rises from the brainpan, an imitation of laughter. "Ha ha haaaa... ahhhh.. Takamura. The nature of the Great Game still eludes you, then. Or perhaps you've yet to yield fruit from your fast friends... Royal is a prime component of a powerful bond, an unequaled source of potential Fate." One massive spider-mech tendril is thrust forward to point for emphasis. "One that will yield invincible strength, guaranteeing ORDER's triumph!" The tendril retracts and the whole of the mech raises the front half of its body. "A triumph you need not be around to witness! EN GARDE!"

--A great and protract battle begins. You'd expect Takamura to have little hope of triumph, a lone Striker against a full boss-class monster of Bishop's no-doubt high level. Great waves of electricity, fresh geysers of flame and new lengths of terrible spike-barbed saws are turned upon the monk, who excels at evading all of it! Frustrated, Bishop engages a full-blown power of Impending Doom, each of the eight spider legs magnetizing suddenly and extending to all sides, wrenching the confines of the room out of their frames and drawing the whole of the trapped chamber slowly together!

: Takamura's response is to rush Bishop and stop before the brain-pan, cracking his knuckles. "There's always a way forward, dickless!" In an explosion of Standard Action, Action Point, Fortune Point Takamura thrashes against the guarded dome, smashing, denting and ripping it clear off! Bishop is exposed, but Takamura is exhausted... or he should be. Drawing upon red-stranded power, Takamura calls up a Fate Action and executes a roaring finish, his fists ignited with divine power as he smashes straight through the Impending Doom! The sheer magnitude of the damage causes the Spider Mastermind to loses polarity and fall out of the air, crashing to the ground as the room "snaps" back into shape!

: "Impossible!" The Bloodied Mastermind lurches back to standing and although looming over Takamura, appears to be in a position of inferiority!

: Takamura is surging with divine power, boosted by a grand bit of Avenging! "Yer not the only ones playin' this game, Bishop, and ya sure as hell ain't guaranteed ta win!"

: Your view of the VR feed begins to warp and bleed over with static and random flashes of red strings of fate. They pool around Bishop's brainpan and suddenly lift a burning, hellish outline of his mechanical body wreathed in red flame, as though he were hiding it by clipping into the Spider Mastermind. A warped voice bleeding through several different sources chuckles and retorts: "Power is no guarantee, but through planning..." Bishop's flaming red hands reach forward and seize a surprised Takamura by the sides of his head, giving you a first class viewing of the sudden eruption that mysteriously claims his life... Takamura in DDW is blown backwards, victim of a powerful melee touch attack in strict mechanical terms, damaged severely yet still alive... but Takamura IRL... can no longer play the game. The next attacks of the Spider Mastermind neatly kill the player, who simply despawns.

: "Ahh! Ahhhhh!" Yuki gapes and points at the screen, horrified! "H.. he.. he did it! That sick robot!" Her eyes are wide as she seems on the verge of panic! "W-w-w-w-w-w-why!? Who'd kill someone over this dumb game?!?!"

Arcana, Passive: Something clearly happened that warps the boundaries between game and reality... even if Takamura was one-shot by that ridiculous boss in the game, it would just despawn his character briefly! Comparing the events of the stream to the images you've seen from the Object Reading Ritual, you can add a new piece to the scene... Takamura was standing in front of his console and TV with the headset on. He must have died and then dropped to a kneel, leaning forward against the coffee table the console is on.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 20, 2018

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Noting the image Tsukiyo called up, Noriko points to white blade. "we can ask white blade what this was all about. it might be a clue."

As the remaining images come through, Noriko feels herself left with more questions than she started with. "i guess we'll have to know what ORDER is planning if we're ever going to understand Takamura's motivation..." She hoped the video would shed some light on things...

After they watch the video, Noriko speaks up. "...so, takamura made some kind of deal, too. looks like I wasn't the only one... I wonder who that was...?" Noriko digs deep into her occult lore, carefully considering the various demons, devils, angels, and other entities mentioned by name or inference in her texts.

Arcana: 1d20+23 43 -- identify the strange rider

"so... that's it, then. this game really can kill us, can't it?" Noriko frowns. Maybe getting Akane involved wasn't such a good idea.

After a long moment of silence, she says something rather grim. "...we... we need to find Bishop and put him in the ground. i'm going to the morgue as soon as i can... i need to speak to Takamura himself."

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 5, 2018

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Holy poo poo... Akio's face drains of color as Takamura's last moments play out before his eyes. Even Yuki's outbrust barely registers, sounding muffled to his ears as he sits frozen, processing what he had just witnessed... gently caress... So that was it then, everything he had feared turned out to be true. Takamura had been killed through DDW. And the murderer was Bishop. He felt ready to throw up...

"...Put him in the ground?" He looks at Noriko and gapes in disbelief. "I don't want to kill anyone... Not even someone like Bishop... And it's not like we would stand a chance, he's likely the most powerful player in the game! We need to stay off his radar as much as possible. We need to become much stronger and gather more information before we even think about fighting him."

Akio gets up off the floor and turns his head to the window, staring out into the evening with an unusually determined expression on his face. "Joker will be at Nekketsu tonight, probably up to no good again. We should all go there and confront him. He stole Takamura's hard drive and he tried to use magic to curse Noriko. It's time he told us what he knows..."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

"he'd do it to any of us. he'd do it to you..." Noriko says, letting a hint of concern slip into her voice. "this can't just be a game anymore... it's life or death. they're willing to kill to win, and we will be in their way at some point, if we aren't already. this is what they do to people who steal from them. or betray them... i'm not even sure it was Joker who cursed me... it could have been anyone. after this, i'm not convinced it wasn't somebody from ORDER."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

"...I know he would," Akio says, and sighs. "And we can't let him... I won't let him. But there's got to be another way... For what it's worth, I don't think most members of ORDER know about what Bishop did, if anyone at all. Maybe we can find some way to turn them against him? Without their support he'd lose a lot of Fate. Especially Royal's, from the sound of it." Feeling like he's on to something, but not having any clue of how to accomplish it, he frowns and moves on. "You don't think Joker was behind the ritual anymore? It had to be him we saw in our reading, right? The guy in a Naoki uniform who stood next to Shiokaze. I mean, who else could it be?"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo - Friday Night

"We'll get the answers out of him." Tsukiyo answers grimly, her arms crossed. "One way or the other. Also, if we are to ambush him at Nekketsu... Should I ask for Fuji-I mean, for Heart's help?"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

"hmm... i suppose that's true. i wonder what i did to draw his ire in the first place?" Noriko frowns. "i guess we'll find out soon enough. despite everything... i can't really view him as an enemy anymore. i'd rather have answers than revenge at this point. i hadn't planned to go to the rally... i'm really trying not to be a delinquent..." Noriko says as she takes a sip of the beer she'd opened for the ritual. "i'm gonna have to wear a mask... if mom found out what i was up to i'd be in real trouble."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

Tsuki's face sours and she gives Noriko a resentful glare as she hears about her concerns about being mistaken for a delinquent. "You know, when we went to do reconnaissance we could have really used your magic tricks. Would have saved me and Icchan a lot of grief."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

"i stole a uniform from a club member. wasn't that enough?" Noriko returns Tsukiyo's glare. "if you want me to teach you, i'd be happy to... but i can't be everywhere at once."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Friday

Astoundingly, you cannot identify the strange rider with occult knowledge! Your Arcana check does account for being a giant nerd(Alternative Use: Game Lore)... there exists old DDW beta youtubes of formidable guardian figures who prevent access to neutral Mindscapes designed by the Devs, like the old Blizzard Guardians of the ancient World of Warcraft beta. They were simply invincible monsters that obliterated anyone they aggro'd onto trying to enter the forbidden zone. Enterprising wallclimbers could of course get around this... but the popular buzz is that this guy is smart enough to patrol perimeters, using barbed arrows to pull down glitchers! Several references to the "terrible Yagyo-san" joke about this not being unexpected.

Perhaps an actual History check would work?

: "What are you talking about?! We know this guy did it! We call the police and.. and.. trace him!! He's a guy, playing this game! They can find him!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Friday - Takamura's Pad (#beatthemidterms)

After watching the awful death, Takashi takes a longer swig from the beer in his right hand, putting the other hand on Yuki's shoulder reassuringly, "We knew the Game was fatal already didn't we? Our scars? And how else do you explain the way the worlds have been bleeding together?"

At Yuki's comment about the police, Takashi squeezes her shoulder gently to get her attention, "This is a little more complicated than the police, Yuki-san. Even if we could show them what we saw again, those old men aren't going to believe us," with sudden intensity in his eyes he looks into hers, "But you have my word we'll avenge Takamura... if its the last thing I do, I'll tear out Bishop's heart myself."

To Akio and Noriko, "There is no staying off ORDER's radar. You heard Bishop. We're the pack of fools." he shrugs, "But I don't intend to die, and I won't let it happen to any of you. We may not be a match for them right now, but I for one don't intend to let that stop me. We have to get stronger, better, pull more threads together. I think subverting Royal is an excellent idea, if we can pull it off."

When Tsukiyo lets Fujio/Heart slip, "You met Sir Heart!? Is he some old man or what? One of the teachers at Nekketsu?"

Eyeing the place one last time, Takashi can't help but feel a kinship for Takamura, a boy he knew for days at best. Without another word to his friends, and a smile, he walks to the kitchen. Grabbing a nice glass from the cabinets he sets it on the countertop. Retrieving another beer from the fridge he pours it into the glass for Takamura's wayward spirit. Raising his remaining beer he says, "Wherever you've gone to, you won't be forgotten, Taka. Ganbatte!" and clinks his bottle against the glass before finishing the last of his beer and disposing of both bottles.