Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

Tsukiyo blushes a bit, and looks down as Miyuki compliments her. "Awawa... Oh yeah, thank you... I just wanted this whole dumb feud to be over with. Even though I just learned of it a few days ago, I still think it was my duty to..." A sudden interruption!

She listens to Fujio's heartfelt confession with complete calm, and she crosses her arms, looking a bit distraught before readying the following devastating sentence. "I am really sorry to say this Hea... No, Fujio-San. But... With what happened the last few months... I've been starting to learn stuff that I didn't do before and... Well, suffice to say. I don't think I'm into men. But we can always be friends... Right?"

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

/

Friday - Other City (#beatthemidterms)

Accepting Itsumi's hug is easy. When she leans against him, it is remaining standing that is the real battle, but he puts on his best smile, "Nah, I've still got a few laps in me tonight. I look worse than I feel," which is decidedly untrue, "A second date sounds like a welcome change from the last few days," he leans in to kiss the side of her head subconsciously, putting his arm around her.

When Fujio begins his confession, Takashi goes perfectly still, but then Tsukiyo's reply turns it into a visible wince. Ouch, that's got to be brutal for Sir Heart.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Akio // Friday Night - Other City

Once Anne leaves them, Akio stands up just in time to witness the public execution take place on the stage. Unable to avert his eyes, he grimaces as things take a turn for the disastrous for poor Sir Heart. The second hand embarrassment was painful enough, there's just no way to tank a hit like that...

"Ouch. At least he gave seizing the day a shot..." he comments to Noriko, then turns to face her and takes her hands if she lets him. "Hey, uh, thanks for that. I mean, I totally had it under control! But also kinda not... Anyway!" He looks her in the eyes with a sly smile. "He he. You called me your boyfriend. Even prefixed with idiot it was pretty nice to hear. But, uh, you weren't serious about punishment, right?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Other City

: Fujio recoils! His hand flies to his heart as it is torn apart in real time! He slowly slumps to one knee, looking like he was just slugged in the gut! Behind him Higuchi is wiping the sweat from his brow with a handkerchief. Miyuki looks mildly embarrassed on behalf of her friend and the silence hangs long for several moments... when Fujio thrusts himself up and grins. "Alright! I can respect that! Thank you for your honesty!" The strength of his sincerity carries through in the crowd's silence.

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Emperor arcana...

Support Personas of the Emperor improve to +2 Attack/Damage/Healing! Perhaps Fujio isn't as dead as was previously suggested. The rest of the night runs late as you've made several new friends and are at a little city festival, after all. Eventually you return home and evade the watchful eyes of parents and guardians, desperate to just rest!

---

That Night

When your head hits the pillow you can't even recall how quickly you went into deep sleep. As readily as heroic posturing comes to you, the after-effects of the struggle aren't so romantic. Your dreams drift between amazing actions performed by idealized versions of yourselves, swirling between eddies of darkness, shapes present between each changing scene as watchful guardians. Eventually your own point of view recap of the night fades away... and one of the shapes lumbers forward, wide and tall, pulsing with raw power. A snapshot of a mythical being captured at a certain point, only Akio would be aware that he still has both hands.

The brutal and cruel frog lord hefts up his massive black-iron cleaver and sneers at you, finding something he doesn't like. His cracked lips parch and he murmurs. ".. Unworrrthy verrrmin.." before slamming the blade to the ground edge first, embedding it. Fenrir's Persona, the Ranger Lord Bael'waag departs and leaves in his wake a pair of benevolent spirits who are soon joined by a third.

: Shikome is wearing her blue velvet dress this time and waves to you, gingerly stepping up to the great blade. She reaches up with her long sleeve covering her hand and gives it a testing poke a few times. Caution satisfied, Shikome reaches up and channels her ghostly aura into the blade for a moment before wresting something out! A flickering mass of raw chaotic energy that rapidly shifts between all known colors and some inbetween is held in her wrapped hands for a second before she presses it to her chest and absorbs it. She looks to each of you one at a time and bows politely. "G-Good Evening! In light of your amazing efforts tonight, Guardian Spirits of Naoki and Nekketsu have emerged from the seas of your souls." She brushes her hands together and shuffles them up and down, the sleeves shimmering with the light of her aura. "And I can help you too, you know!"

quote:

Yomotsu-Shikome(Hermit ****) *Upgraded*
The Yomotsu-Shikome in Japanese mythology are residents of the underworld, servants of Izanami-no-Mikoto. They are spirits known as the "old hags of the Yomi" and relentlessly chase the living if they disturb the rest of the dead. They are said to be obsessed with food above all else.
Great Sukunda (vs Will, Ranged 5, -4 Reflex/Fort UEONT)
Great Tarunda (vs Fortitude, Range 5, Target -4 Attack UEONT)
Mamudoon (vs Will, Range 5, Burst 1, All Creatures. If this targets a Minion, kill it. If this targets something with 15 HP or less, set it to 0 HP. Fails against Necrotic Resist. Otherwise, deal 2d8+6 Necrotic Damage)
Glimpse of Megido (vs Will+2, Range 5, One Target, Auto-Crits for 2d6+6(18) Divine Damage that cannot be Resisted. Activates any benefits related to Critical Hits. Costs 2 Fortune Points)
Passive: Resist Necrotic 10, Resist Cold 10
Weakness: Radiant, Force, Poison

Black Frost(Fool ****)
A sinister rendition of a figure from a popular children's series. A snow elf who brings in cold weather during the winter and is thought to be responsible for the frost that forms on the windows of homes and buildings, he is fond of wounds caused by falling icicles during long-term cold weather.
Maragion (vs Reflex, Range 5, Burst 1, All Creatures, Deals 2d4+4 Fire Damage)
Bufula (vs Fortitude, Range 8, One Target, Deals 2d8+9(Boosted) Cold Damage to one Target)
Cold Boost (Enhances Cold Damage dealt by Persona. Enhances Cold Damage Dealt by Wielder by 25%)
Matarukaja (Close Burst 2, Self and Allies, Grants +2 Attack/+1 Speed UEONT)
Passive: Resist Fire 15, Resist Cold 10, Resist Necrotic 10
Weakness: Radiant, Acid

Mithra(Temperance ****)
In Zoroastrian mythology, Mithra was a deity of contracts who was the protector of truth and the enemy of error. He was created by the supreme deity Ahura Mazda as the greatest of all Yazatas and an important aid in the destruction of the demonic forces led by Angra Mainyu. He was one of the three Yazatas alongside Rashnu and Sraosha who judged the souls of the dead.
Makouga (vs Fort, Range 5, Burst 1, All Creatures. If this targets a Minion, kill it. If this targets an ally, grant them 5+1(And Bonuses) THP. Fails against Radiant Resist. Otherwise, deal 2d8+4 Necrotic Damage
Seal Bomb (vs Will, Range 5, One Target. Deals 2d10+8 Radiant/Necrotic Damage and Target may not use Fortune Actions USOMNT. Costs 2 Fortune Points)
Vigil (Party has +3 AC in Surprise Round.)
Greater Evade Ranged (Grants +4 Defenses against direct single-target Ranged attacks)
Passive: Resist Radiant 10, Resist Acid 10, Resist Poison 10
Weakness: Lightning, Thunder

Something in Bael'waag's Black Blade beckons you to test it. You feel as though in a video game or story, a giant greedy frog would be more of a mid-level foe, an obstacle a hero conquers before facing true life-changing peril. All the same, he and Fenrir personified the raw force necessary to even stand in this arena. One question he threw at you still burns in your busy dreams... what if your enemies weren't polite enough to face you one by one? Taking hold of the handle of the sword which tunnels further into the ground to accommodate your height, you withdraw something made of raw power... an answer forged from your own willpower.

quote:

Akio
Black Death (+4 Mind-Rending Longsword(Lvl 18))
A katana forged of the darkest edge of night. Absent anything but the most utilitarian hilt with finger grips, there's nothing to this blade but black malice. No room to add anything personal, kid.
Daily(Free Action) Use this when you hit with an Attack using this Weapon. Target is Dazed UEONT.
Brutal 2, Critical: +4d8

Itsumi
Hellraiser (+4 Jolting Guard Greatspear(Lvl 18))
A huge black iron spear frame crafted around a contained blade of burning magma. The metal is warm and the impacts give off waves of heat that distort the air. Even striking this weapon with another is dangerous.
Encounter(Opportunity Action) When an Enemy Misses with a Melee Attack, Weaken them UEONT.
Brutal 2, Critical +4d8

Noriko
Darkest Night (Modified +4 Accurate Orb of Sweet Sanctuary(Lvl 18))
This orb is so perfectly black and smooth that it looks as though you are holding nothing at all in the dark. If lit, nothing is reflected, instead absorbed so that it seems you are carrying a hole in reality itself. This orb generates power yet never hums or channels it, instead abruptly summoning it.
Daily(Move Action) Add 5 + 4(Item Bonus) to your Defenses UEOMNT.
Brutal 2, Critical +4d8

Takashi
Grip of the Abyss (+4 Tyrant's Trident(Lvl 18))
A cruel weapon with a head of two thick prongs with hooked points. A length of black iron chain leading from the tip of the haft lets the wielder freely throw and pull in their catch. It is unbalanced and heavy, all the better for maximum impact.
Daily(Minor Action): UEOMNT, your Attacks with this Weapon deal an extra 4d6 Damage to a Blind/Prone/Restrained/Helpless Target.
Brutal 2, Critical: +4d8 and Knock Prone

Tsukiyo
Wolf's Fang (+4 Weapon of Surrounding Fullblade(Lvl 18))
A massive black-iron sword with a heavily fractured tip. The raw, jagged spikes of metal work just fine for cutting targets and grant the raw presence to intimidate and direct the battle.
Encounter(Free Action) Use this when you hit an Adjacent Enemy with this Weapon. Teleport to a different square Adjacent to the Enemy.
Brutal 2, Critical: +4d8

---

Recap

:siren: List your retrains and gains and post your final choices and new combat blocks in the OOC thread :siren:

quote:

Level 16, Perfect Utility Choices, New Support Personas, Loot and 90,000 Gold each. You may Retrain as much as you want. You may retrain your Fate Powers. You may purchase lost Support Personas and Fuse New Ones.

---

Saturday, May 2nd

(Setting a spot to begin the next day, update will come this weekend.)

You wake up in the morning aching and sore, muscles protesting. Akio feels certain he has a tiny fracture on some rib under a tender burn, Takashi's knuckles are scraped and his wrists ache, Noriko escapes a physical sign but is utterly drained, Tsukiyo has a fresh but healed gouged on her right shoulder and Itsumi has a few long scratches alongside her midsection that won't scar but leave a small bit of red in her bed's linen.

Akio: There is an old hamburger sporting a fresh growth of mold in your satchel. Gross.

Tsukiyo: Genjuro did not come home yesterday and is gone from the house in the morning. Grandmother has left a note saying she'll be back tonight.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 17, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

Tsukiyo lifts out of her bed, bruised and drowsy as her cellphone alarm rings with no sign of stopping. She starts searching around the house for the others, to no avail. "Where is everyone..." It can't be that Genjuro left the house for real forever with no sign, right? ...Right?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko

"a foreigner? there sure are a lot of them around these days..." Noriko remarks to herself once Anne heads away, ignoring Akio's groveling while Heart makes his confession.

"oooh. cold-hearted!" Noriko seems to nod with approval at Tsukiyo's handling of the situation. "...it seemed pretty obvious now that i think about it but i still didn't think she was the type..."

Turning back to Akio, she smirks as he vacillates between being cute and being pathetic. "you are my boyfriend, right?" she says with a hint of bemusement. "heh heh. was i serious?"

Noriko's expression twists into a weird grin as a muffled caw echoes ominously from her bag!

"we'll just have to see"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Saturday 5/2, Mid-Day

-Having laid waste to the girl gang of Naoki and healed the rift between Naoki and Nekketsu, a burning injustice still burns in your heart... that Student Council President Hattori Takano denied your idea for the Samurai History Club! ... Maybe you could do something about it now, but you can't deny that you've been thinking of running it anyway, whether or not Naoki will help you. You're sure Miho would help out. And you haven't heard from Manami since Friday at the Other City..

: That's definitely a loose thread that needs to be taken care of! Tsukiyo heads towards the Student Council, asking Miho to come with her with a few assorted necessary materials, and she immediately slams her hands on Hattori's desk once arriving. "We! Got! To! Talk!"

: Striking during lunch time on Saturday you encounter the Hattori sisters using the room to relax, eat and gossip. Even with a bit of fruit in her mouth and caught mid-chew, Takano manages to regard you as though this were entirely expected. Akane looks over to you and cracks up laughing, covering her mouth.

: Miho is carrying some of your materials and sets them on the desk beside you as slowly and politely as she can, whispering to you. "T-Tsuki, is this really a good idea?"

: She gives a confident smile in response to Miho, and then continues to stare at the twins. "The Samurai History club is totally happening so I need you two to just get the documents on it running. Like, make it formalized, right?"

: Takano draws up a napkin and spits out her portion, covering it entirely so nothing unsightly is seen, beyond this unsightly display. She frowns at you and replies flatly: "No."

: Akane pops open a can of cheap tea and follows up the actual kssshhh sound with her own "Kssshhhh."

: "You mean yes."

: Miho whispers to you: "Tsukiyo, you're being rude.."

: Takano seems intrigued, but still isn't smiling. She tilts her head and leans back in her chair a bit. "Well, yes, you have my permission to drop the matter."

: "I can get enough signatures, and support from the homeroom teachers, and I even have all this research material." She points to the bags full of manga, videogames and dvds that poor Miho dragged around with herself.

: Akane whines a little. "You wouldn't let us just watch scary movies all week, there's no way you'd roll over on this."

: Takano sighs. "We discussed this earlier... all of your research would nicely supplement our History club."

: Well, there are a lot of samurai themed horror, isn't it? Tsukiyo thinks to herself before retorting. "Supplementing the history club would mean that it'll just get lost with all the other stuff that your club does!"

: Takano accepts an offer of a drink from Akane's tea and takes a quick sip, raising an eyebrow to Tsukiyo over the can. "It is not my club, and it is not a matter of overshadowing. Clubs are a group effort, not tribute to the club head. Why are you bringing this up again?"

: Akane laughs a little and waves Tsukiyo off. "Shouldn't you be busy as some manga gang leader?" She follows it up with a friendly grin, clearly just teasing you. Miho seems to be getting increasingly nervous on your behalf.

: "Gang?!" She nearly explodes at Akane after listening to this. "I'll have you know I worked harder than anyone to make sure that this kind of stuff stops happening at Naoki once and for all! That while the two of you kept faffing around on your desks!"

: Akane's eyes widen and she shifts back a bit, startled. Standing up, Takano steps into the space between you and Akane, blocking your sight to her. She looks you eye to eye, still calm, all business. "And I'm still grateful for that. It's a wonder we didn't have to expel anyone afterwards. What. does that have to do.. with this club? You've already heard my reasons." The way things are kept in rigid order feels very grating, all of a sudden..

: "Because... I think I'll have to just go and candidate myself as council president since I'm pretty sure I can do better than the two of you." An intense aura emerges from Tsuki!

: Miho drops some of the materials and is sincerely shocked! Akane cracks up laughing and buries her head. Takano cracks a smile for the first time. "Is that so?"

: "You want to try me?"

: "Does a dog bark to mask insecurity?" In the most emotion you've ever personally seen from her since Other School, Takano runs a hand through her hair and casts it out defiantly before giving you an angled glare.

: Tsukiyo's first answer is another glare. Has she found the weak point on those two? "The girl gang, the Nekketsu attacks, the pervert that steals clothing... What did the two of you do on any of those matters in first place?"

: Takano tilts her head up just the slightest bit and crosses her arms, now looking down on you... "Preserving the integrity of the student council, I convinced a bull-headed oaf to resolve the matter before disciplinary or police action was necessary."

: ... Ever so slowly Akane leans in from around the side of her sister, standing up and raising a hand to her mouth in slow motion, her face frozen in the most bright-eyed ohhhhhhh as her hand covers her open mouth.

: Miho stands by your side and grips your arm, actually raising her voice! "Tsuki did a wonderful job! She's brave and strong!"

: A vein pops right above Tsuki's left eye, and she clenches her fist really hard at Takano's provocation. "Whether your claim is true or not... The fact is that I was the one who act, not you. And that is what matters to the people of Naoki."

: Eyes closed for a patronizing smile, Takano replies while still perfectly calm. "Maybe it does. You'll have to find out." She deigns to crouch down and pick up Miho's materials, offering them to her. "I believe you were both leaving." Miho stammers a little and bows her head while accepting. Akane stands beside her sister, giving Tsukiyo an uncharacteristic frown.

: "Tch." So she'll have to solve this on her own. Again.

: Miho winces a bit as she holds the materials in one arm, using her other hand to grip Tsukiyo's arm and try to guide her out of the room. She whispers: "Tsuki, I'll help you out, but we should go. Please?"

: She sighs, and relents. "Okay... Let's go then."

: Leaving the Student Council Room, Miho pulls in close behind you, clearly frightened and excited by the exchange! "T-T-Tsuki, what are you gonna do!? She's like some ojou out of a cartoon.."

: With eyes that burn with determination comes the response. "I'm going to unseat them."

: Oh! Miho seems very impressed. "R-really?" She clutches the club materials to her chest, peering up at you in a bit of awe.

: "...That's the plan." She then drops her arms, looking obviously distraught. "I have no idea how to do that."

: Clearly straining to do so, Miho holds the club materials in one arm so she can set her other hand on your shoulder and give you a little squeeze. "You'll think of something! Like you said in there, you're the one that got things done! I heard you were even at Nekketsu a few times..."

: "...Yeah about that. That.... Was a close call. One that might have consequence I didn't predict."

: Using both arms to hold the materials again, Miho just looks suitably confused and a bit curious. "What happened on Friday anyway? At Nekketsu? Was it dangerous?" With her gaze on you, Miho looks very curious now!

: "I wouldn't say it was dangerous." Tsuki shakes her head and shrugs. "At least for me, that is. But still..." She grits her teeth, looking quite annoyed! "I'm really feeling like wiping out the smug smile on the faces of those two." And indeed, if it's up to her, that will be her first and foremost priority...

quote:

Saturday 5/2, After School

-Later in the day after confronting Takano, you're heading home with Miho and Manami in tow.

: Manami hasn't been changed by Other School and is giving you the business about the usual. "Is Sensei home? Are you gonna introduce me?"

: Miho giggles. "Her grandmother is very nice."

: Tsukiyo is a bit suspicious by Manami's interest and instead answers back. "...Why do you want to meet grandma?"

: With a blank stare Manami shoots back casually. "I told you last time, I wanna learn your style."

: This is... Less than ideal. While the Slithering Shadow style is taught by grandma on the dojo and Manami could easily apply for classes alongside everyone else, the fact is that the "real" variant of the style is taught only inside the family (and even so there are several techniques that neither Tsuki and Genjuro were allowed to study yet), and while she's a punk, Manami would probably guess that some of the moves that Tsukiyo used before are not taught to outsiders.

: Manani continues as the wall of your family's property comes into view: "And don't say it has nothing to do with it, I heard you dropped Nekketsu's Banchou with a single blow!"

: "That kind of blow is known to every girl, dummy!" Tsukiyo, possessed by the instinct to become the tsukkomi in that conversation, suddenly blursts out!

: Manami's eyebrows rise slightly. ".. huh. You kicked him in the balls? That's brutal." Miho has turned red.

: Well that was a metaphorical kick in the balls, for sure. "In a fight... Sometimes getting to use stuff like style and strength might be hard due to the haze of violence. If you want to learn some stuff... I think I can give some lessons myself."

: "I already know how to kick a guy in the sweet spot." Manami holds the gate open for you and Miho. There's still no sign of Genjuro.

: "Not talking about kicking people there..." Tsukiyo lets out a long sigh. Still, the fact that big brother isn't there... This is starting to get really worrying...

: Miho: "What did happen at Nekketsu?" Th-this curiosity.. it can't be suppressed!

: "I... Apologized for Big Brother's behavior and for the whole setting the school on fire and stealing their trophy thing. I think they were pretty cool with it since they accepted it... We had to beat some people up on the way though..."

: "Wow!"

: "Ohh, who'd you thrash!?"

: Someone's feelings. "I didn't meant to do that! We had to defend ourselves since people just tried to beat us up before I could apologise!"

: "But.. who?" The two are lounging with you at home, boxing you in at the living room. They want all the details!

: "...Everyone at Nekketsu. Sort of. Including the vice-principal."

: "Ehhh!?" "What?!" Now you've done it. Manami closes in on you with Miho providing a rare support. "YOU'VE GOTTA TELL US WHAT HAPPENED, TSUKI!" "YEAH, BOSS!"

: How is she's going to do that? If she says the truth, Manami who is acquainted with the other world will understand but Miho will think she's insane. And if she makes something up, Manami will probably call her out later. "Erm. After we met on 'that place', Manami-san."

: "Yeah, well, what happened!? How'd you get into a fight with a principal, huh?!"

: "Tell us the story, Tsuki!"

: "Vice-Principal!" She corrects before continuing. "We went to the place where they were having the festival and uh. The Vice-Principal probably recognized us from a previous incident and told everyone there to attack me and my friends and... I had to run through a bunch of people while the others tried to hold them off and... I did the best I could to apologize to them..."

: "Woooow..."

: Manami is grinning widely listening to your exploits. "Is that how it went, huh!"

: "Hmm? Were you there too, Manami-san?"

: Manami shakes her head. "I heard about it... and I heard you executed their lovely banchou, Tsukiyo."

: "I didn't execute him! We're friends, sort of!" She tries her best to explain the... Nature of the finishing blow that Fujio received, as well as the real aftermath of the whole incident where she stayed at Nekketsu and amended the rift between the schools.

: They seem to understand well. Eventually Grandmother comes home and Manami takes to shadowing her, getting a mouthful about joining the actual classes. Miho goes through the day's homework with you, occasionally commenting on one aspect of your story. When it seems time for dinner and your friends will be heading out soon after, Miho beams at you. "Tsuki, I think whoever you like must be one lucky girl. Good luck!"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 11, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Saturday 5/2, Afternoon

-A day at school feels like a dream compared to evading wild thugs, dangerous shadows and torrents of flame. You don't even have to worry about the wellbeing of your friends as their healer! You don't see any of your usual schoolyard tormentors either. No strange Nekketsu adults, no looming perfect Student Council President Takano, no sight of even that weasel Ichiro. As part of your afterschool duties you find yourself alone, cleaning up the Student Council room with casual, easy sweeps of a broom. But all good things must come to an end and you receive a text on your phone from Ichiro, the boy who knows your past as a social viper. With a most undeserved winky face he asks if "you'd be available to do extra mock exam prep work this week?" Mid-terms are on the 11th... and cold bile curls in your stomach as you're too smart to not know it is probably his duties he's passing on to you.

: Itsumi clenches her fist, replying after a moment. "Sure, I can help out a bit :)"

: Ichiro's usual cheery and condescending text plays out exactly as you expect: "Great, glad I can depend on you! Don't forget our date either! ;)" The knife is twisted! You're left hurting in solitude, the school practically empty. All that's left to do is finish here and go home yourself... and you've still got to do your own midterm cramming.

: "Ok, sure." she replies tersely. She then texts Madoka, "Ichiro is so creepy. He's trying to force me to date him... this is really uncomfortable..."

: Madoka's reply is delayed, leaving you in silence, feeling utterly alone.

: After hearing no response, she turns and storms out of the room to go home, slamming the door behind her, sending a thundering boom throughout the school.

-Unleashing your anger upon the door proves immensely satisfying and the sound is excellent. Storming into the hall you see nobody else in the school to hear it... save for a single boy who was heading towards the Student Council Room, holding a few printed sheets of paper and a neat little hand-held camera. (Art) He's medium build, blonde-haired, brown eyed but they look a bit off-red in reflecting the setting sun. He's dressed nicely and reminds you a bit of Takashi.

: He stands silently, looking a bit bemused. Clearing his throat, he takes the intiative. "Something not going your way?"

: Itsumi suddenly affects a wide smile and cheerful tone, "Nope, everything's fine!" she says as she begins to walk down the hallway.

: "If you say so. Hey, is Hattori-sama still here?" He holds up the papers and gestures to you, a student coming from the Student Council Room.

: "Not as far as I know, I was the only one in there. Why, can I help you with something?" Itsumi replies, looking at the papers to see what they are.

: He grins and shows you some simple online ads and a quick cost comparison list. "I was hoping to talk to her instead of that skinflint Ichiro, maybe get a new camera on the school's budget. It's very reasonably priced, you know!"

: She smiles. "I really wish I could help you but I just joined the council. What type of photojournalism do you do, anyway?"

: The boy looks a bit irritated, then manages a strained grin. He gently baps the tip of your chin with the papers and forces a little sigh. "Just a small fry. Look, if you see Hattori-sama or the Head Banker, tell them Yawazaki was looking for them, alright?"

: Itsumi shoots a glare straight though Yawazaki as soon as he hits her chin. “Please do not touch me. But yes, I will let them know,” she says.

: Ryo grins a bit more sincerely, clearly finding something amusing. "... Don't touch you... or else what, I'll get as bad as the door did?" He chuckles.

: She scowls. “Worse,” she says, looking him dead in the eyes.

: ... Ryo gently baps the front of your face with the papers, blocking view of your gaze entirely. "Scary."

: Itsumi quickly snatches the papers out of his hands, balling her right hand into a fist, swinging at him in one motion before stopping an inch away from his face. "If you touch me again I promise you I won't stop," she says, pushing him out of the way and storming off.

: You hear a distant "My specs!" as you leave Naoki behind for the day... at least you can head home now!

: Itsumi stomps home, fighting back tears the whole way. She practically kicks the door in and storms up to her room, where she lays in bed. She pulls the covers up over her head, sobbing quietly.

-Passive Perception: On the way home you occasionally hear odd noise mixed in with the usual hustle and bustle of the city, but can't pin any of it down to anything unusual or threatening. Strange words from passerbys, the occasional old flash or click, a yellow eyed owl perched on a street lamp and peering down the street between periods of dozing, a bird lost in the quainter part of the suburb neighboring the city.

-Nobody else seems to be home, late on a Saturday. Perhaps they've all gone out for some family get together that the eldest Kasaya might pass on due to the duties and social life of a teenager. But rather, it makes the tiny household feel unusually cold and empty.

: After some time there's a knock at your door, the kind of abrupt two knuckle raps your grandmother consistently employs. "Itsumi? Are you up?"

: Slowly sitting up, Itsumi wipes her eyes and moves to the door. "Yes, grandma, I am. Is there something you need?"

: "There's a boy at the front door, he says he knows you?" The cagey eldest Kasaya gives you her matriarchal grin of approval. "Quite the looker too, he is." ... Ahhh, the same way she described Ichiro's voice that one strange time he called.

: "Oh, thank you grandma... I'll go see who it is," she replies warily. She heads to the door and opens it.

: Standing at the front door and looking impeccably relaxed for a guy doing something possibly cagey, Ryo has his hand uplifted as though he were going to give you another b a p, but alas, there's no paper in his hand. He peers at his hand for a moment and then affects a polite wave. "Yo."

: "Oh, you. What do you want? Hopefully not a punch in the face." she says sharply.

: ".. Oh ho? You know, the tough girl act kind of falls apart when your eyes are so red.."

: "My eyes being red has nothing to do with me making yours black. Did you come here to harass me, or did you have something else in mind?"

: dab Withdrawing his other hand from his pocket, Ryo gently pats a folded handkerchief to one of your eyes, leaning a bit closer as he clears your eye. The proximity adds a certain warmth to the day, a sharp contrast to the allegedely horrible and sincerely horrible upperclassmen you've dealt with until now. "Well... you asked what I do. It's kind of my thing to meddle." Resting on his chest and attached to a lanyard around his neck is the camera he had earlier. "It comes with journalism work, I think."

: Itsumi wipes the same eye that he just dabbed, a little confused and a little relieved. "So... what did you come here for, then?"

: Ryo clears your other eye, the fabric feeling refreshingly cool. "A girl on the Student Council is threatening to deck me and is so mad she goes home to cry in the first month of school. I couldn't call myself a guy if I ignored that."

: Itsumi sniffs again. "Yeah, well, I haven't been able to do much about it, so..."

: He offers to hand the handkerchief off to you, in case you want to blow your nose. "Do much about what, if you don't mind me asking?"

: Itsumi takes the handkerchief and rubs her eyes with it. "About Ichiro. He hasn't done any of his own part of the work since I got on the counsel. And he's trying to force me to date him, which I'm not at all ok with."

: When you move the cloth from your eyes, Ryo's gritting his teeth and he's reproducing your death glare from earlier. "What the hell?"

: "Yeah, I dunno. I've heard he's done it to other girls too, so I'm not the only one I suppose. Doesn't make it any better or less creepy though... I'm afraid to go to lunch with him like he wants... I'm worried he'll try something."

: Ryo looks away for a moment, clearly caught up in anger. Calming himself, he looks back to you. "Would you believe me if I told you I've seen it happen before? ... But... I couldn't prove it... in my first year I saw a friend taken advantage of..."

: "I wouldn't be surprised honestly... I'm not sure where to go from here though to be honest."

: He seizes one of your hands in both of his, looking you in the eye! "We've got to stop him! That's what we do!"

: "Right, but how? Nobody will believe me, I just transferred in!"

: "I'll help you! He can't hide everything! Seeing a guy like that take advantage of girls, it really pisses me off.."

: “Yeah, ok. What’s your plan though?”

: "... Eh?" He blinks a few times. "Don't you have one?"

-At this point you both realize that he grabbed your hand that was holding the handkerchief, making for a bit of a mess. Ryo's willingness to help you casts a bit of light on this horrible Saturday night... you can feel time slow down for a beat.

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Sun arcana...

Everybody in the Soulshell gains +1 Total Surges! And you gain a long-awaited +1 to Attack/Damage/Healing to Support Personas of the Sun Arcana!

-It's getting late, and you'll need to introduce Ryo to Madoka and maybe to Chizuru as well, who so far are your only leads to working against Ichiro without leeting anyone else know about your reputation and actions in middle school.

: "Not yet. I've been trying to learn what I can about him, but I haven't found out much that's actionable," itsumi says, relieved that she at least has someone to help.

: Ryo grins. "Don't worry. A real journalist just needs a hint of a trail to find the truth."

: "Okay, let me know how it goes, Mr. Journalist!" Itsumi says before turning back inside.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

5/3 Sunday, Close to Noon

quote:

Sunday 5/3, A Little Before Noon

-You still need to surprise Takano with the details of your upcoming second date! She said that by this time anybody would be up for some relief from the rigors of mid-term studying. You've got her contact info in your cell.

: Takashi pulls up the end of their last exchange, somehow only a few nights ago, and sends her "I have an idea in mind, and it may not been your normal scene, but you'll just have to trust me. You trust me don't you? :)"

: Going in for the playful texts, you get a playfully sarcastic one in response. "Oh yes, a maiden has to trust in her hero."

: Takashi accompanies his next text with a small image of a knight kneeling solemnly, "Then I shall endeavor to take care of my lady, and make sure she has a good time," he sends that, then waits a few more minutes.

: You eventually receive a copy-pasted ASCII graphic of a swooning face with outstretched arms.

: "Meet me at the Katagiri Cafe in Nakamachidori, and we'll start from there," Takashi takes a few more minutes to find a chibi drawing of a heroic knight leading a charge.

---

quote:

: Your cell phone furiously vibrates as Akane texts you!
ヽ(≧Д≦)ノnoriko, r you awake?! this is big!

quote:

: Noriko is half-heartedly studying when the text comes in, focused more on the actual raven (well, crow) on her desk than the piece of english poetry being covered in her courses. Picking up her phone, she frowns at her bird.

quote:

yes... crowley woke me up at 6 tapping on my window to get out
edgar allen poe was right (҂⌣̀_⌣́)
whats going on?

quote:

: takano asked me 2 help braid her hair next wknd! you know what that means!!!

quote:

: that your sister can't braid her own hair? •̀.̫•́✧
heh. heh. takashi again?

quote:

: ヾ(。`ДŽ。)ノ彡☆ date! it means a date! yes!
wanna shadow them???

quote:

: now, akane
someone's privacy is a sacred thing, and the privacy expectations between siblings especially so
we could never do something so terrible!
╭(♡・ㅂ・)و ̑̑
...of course i want to shadow them!!!! ...what time do we meet up?

quote:

: dunno but i can text u when she leaves (シ )シ
its next sunday

quote:

: i'll be ready. just let me know when.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Monday 5/4, Nighttime

-At some point you log into DDW to relax, check the auction house, what have you. Passing from your Velvet Room to the game world, you enter your Mindscape and hear the unusual sounds of loud laughter, a small crowd of a dozen players gathered around a random grave..

: Memento-Mori zones into her mindscape perched cross-legged on a wide branch some 30 feet up. Sitting in the same position in her chair, Noriko runs her fingers through Crowley's feathers as she considers her guests. "hm. you want to check it out?" she says, moving her head to glance down at the bird as he materializes in Memento-Mori's lap. "heh. good bird." Sending the crow down, the bird swoops overhead and lands on a nearby tombstone, hopping over to the edge of the group so he can listen in.

-Gathered around your permanent tombstone marking your first in-game death during the Ancient Ruins Run are a mix of familiar faces and odd strangers. ExeQt, Raving_Dame, PurrsianMan.. even Sagacious, the sorcerer-sage that sent you tumbling. There's a few others like a large Dragonborn named Sunder_Life, and a dapper little crocodile wearing a tophat, tie and cufflinks simply named Crocs. They're watching a conjured replay of the death and sharing riotous laughter, a few reading stretches of "COLLIGE, VIRGO, ROSAS; CARPE DIEM ET MEMENTO MORI" and inspiring new fits of laughter. And it seems your grave has been modified.. it is larger, more prominent, ornate and framed with silver filigree. They've sponsored it!

: "heh. how cute. i wonder if they think they're hurting my feelings?" Noriko remarks to herself. "...i wonder, though, if i shouldn't punish them for this. disrespecting me in my own home?" Crowley hops from one stone to the next, eventually landing on the top of Memento-Mori's. Beating his wings, the crow lets out an ominous CAWWWWW before croaking out Noriko's words, in a raspy, rather british accent. "thanks for the money, dicks." Ripping through space,
Memento-Mori appears in Crowley's place, perched atop her headstone with her legs crossed and glowering down at the group like they were worms. She can't help but feel powerful in this place - it was her mindscape, after all!

-Irritatingly... nobody is surprised. Not by the talking crow, or your appearance. The viking cat chortles, ExeQt swipes a blade at you threateningly, the rest chuckle. The little crocodile(only 3 feet tall!) bounces over to you on his tail and springs up on it like a coil, throwing his hands and legs out to either side as a giant confetti graphic pops up around him with the text IT'S CROCS!!

: Raving_Dame executes a practiced half bow and tips her wide-brimmed hat. "We thought you'd approve. It's in your style, isn't it?" You get the worst vibe from Sunder_Life, who is utterly ignoring you.

: After a moment, Memento-Mori cracks a smile. "heh heh. you're right, it is." She shrugs. "this is what i made the place for, after all... what do you think? a celebration of death."

: The odd masked Sage bows his head momentarily. His voice rumbles ominously, some words dissolving halfway through to mumbling. "It is intriguing, though I think the grandeur is a bit wasted on the girl who taunts those she griefs. Shouldn't an undertaker be a bit more somber?" Crocs and Sunder reset the loop of Mori being chased to the edge of the ruins bridge before being blasted and knocked off it by one of the Sage's mirror images.

: Mori rolls her eyes, shifting in place on the gravemarker. "if we're going to make death part of a game we might as well have fun with it. i enjoy killing gankers, just like you enjoy ganking. we both get sorted the same way when we end up here, though. and for what it's worth, I value this moment." She taps the stone herself, replaying the animation from the start. "i ought to thank you for this."

: Gank Inc's terrifying ExeQT cuts in, practically growling. "Why not recreate it?"

: A deep voice cuts off the next posturing threat. "Chh. She's not worth it. She's just a hanger on." Sunder has stopped laughing at the repeating memory to cross his arms and finally address the group, the tall bronzed Dragonborn player looking every bit the part of the lizard-man savage with a bandolier of barbed javelins on his back and not much else to his clothing. Loincloth, anklets, bracelets, cloak and rings round it out. The rest is all man, baby.

: Noriko had tried her best but she could feel a clawing at her ego that could no longer be denied. "And I.... I was...." clouds gather overhead, blotting out the moonlight that normally illuminated her graveyard. "so.... so...." as she speaks, the form of Hecatoncheir billows around her, a gas descending over the group. "POLITE!!!!!" with the booming command, a heavy pall of exhaustion washes over the group as Memento-Mori exerts the limits of her power on them.

: Slumber of the Winter Court; Will ; ExeQt - Raving_Dame - PurrsianMan - Sagacious - Sunder - Croc: 6#1d20+24 41 34 39 41 28 32 (any hit are dazed and slowed (save ends both) - any missed are slowed (save ends), anyone who fails a saving throw is unconcious for 1d4 hours) "i'm tired of being insulted now. have a nice nap."

(Continued)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: (Music 0:00 to 1:12) When the last dregs of black mist clear, all of the spectators are lying on the ground, sleeping soundly. All except one. Sunder_Life snorts out a blast of hot air that comes out as steam in the extreme cold. "Is this it?" Sunder just stands still, rendering being Slowed a moot point. He crosses his arms and sizes up, his tail slapping from side to side impatiently. "You really are just some crass bully, heh heh.."

: "lovely. it would have been boring if i'd just killed all of you with a rock." She steps down from her lofty perch, rolling a blot of black, dense matter across her fingers. "i'm the bully?" She scoffs. "funny. you came to my home to taunt and threaten me. as a group. seems like you're just not accustomed to your targets having the means to fight back."

: The big lizard cups his chin and makes an exaggerated point of adjusting the setting of his lower jaw. "This isn't a dungeon scape. And you dropped in on us.. a few holes in your story, ain't there?"

: "no, you're right, it's not. and yet, you still felt the need to arm yourselves and posture like you'd come looking for a fight." She takes a few steps back and squares her stance. "i'm not a punching bag. if you want a fight, i'll give you one."

: An exaggerated sweat drop slides down the side of his head. ".. Everybody's always armed.."

: "now you're just being obtuse."

: "And you're clearly insecure, aren't you?" He chuckles! Hrm-hrm-hrm!

: "just short on patience."

: Sunder puffs his chest out and jerks a thumb up, indicating his screen name. [D-Born], a guild tag for the <Dragonsblood Tribe>. "I don't know these guys, I just heard there were new players in town. It's a really creepy scape, you know... but I think it fits ya." He folds his arms again and his chest rumbles with laughter. "It suits the kind of punk that spends more time thinking about how to win than tryin'. Typical Controller. Just coasting in the back on everybody else's hard work, ain't it..."

: Memento-Mori pauses, a funny look on her face for a minute before doubling over and howling with laughter. "and what are you... a striker???? hahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!! it must be easy to never have to make a choice harder than hitting 2 or 3!"

: "2 or 3 are higher than 1. I assume you set your I Win Button to your first key, right?" He extends an arm and waggles a finger.

: "starting to sound like a whine to me. and quite the fine vintage, i should add."

: "S'funny.. in that Ancient Ruins Run, it looked like a few Strikers carried you. It must be tough with the big head."

: "I don't need to defend my performance to you. My striker friends are always glad to have a controller to set up flanks and protect them from getting mobbed... I'm sorry you don't have any friends."

: BOOM! The roaring guffaws that follow actually send Crowley flying with the gust of wind that comes from the big lizard!
"Hahahahahaha! How could anybody not know about the Dragonsblood?!"

: "you're the ORDER toady RP guild, right? i'm sorry, i have trouble keeping track of all the people riding in their coattails."

: His chest swells further with pride! "We're the vanguard of the world's best sorcerer!" He raises an eyebrow at you in sheer provocation. "If you want some proof... why not take this?" He offers you a Party Invite, which would reveal your general stats to one another.

: "hmph. why not? i have nothing to hide." she takes the invite.

: He puts on one swell toothy grin. "Not just RP, baby."
Sunder_Life: 20th Level Ranger, Chariot Arcana

: Memento-Mori pauses and nods with approval. "...not bad. i figured you were higher level than the rest of these trash, at least. what attracts you to him, anyway? i know you're not a small guild."

: "Only a slacker hits the top and thinks he gets to stay there! Thaddeus never stops trying to improve.. and neither do his allies.. and we're happy to be a part of that." He uses his Slowed Move Action to move 1, then 2 squares back, behind the napping cluster. "They inspire true camaraderie that endures past some petty slapfights... speaking of which... thanks for taking my invite." Sunder grins, slaps both of his palms to the ground and discharges his Dragonborn Breath on the now hostile cluster, thanks to joining your party and your view of hostiles. Everybody wakes up and begins to stand from Prone!

: "...Nice. Still too much of a coward to fight me by yourself, four levels higher?" Memento-Mori turns and walks away! "I could have beaten you all again anyway... I still have more sleep spells in my book. Ja ne~"

: Still holding his Standard, Sunder barks out another laugh as your drat electronic feet refuse to function, locked in place to their present grid. "What's the old saying? Every Wizard thinks they're the next Isabelle until you break their front line?" With a Free action he draws two of his javelins, crossing them before one another. The plebes seem to have the same sentiments in mind as they rise!

: Memento-Mori rolls her eyes. "Boring." Minor action: Umbral Leap (teleport 10 squares in dim light - which I assume my dimly lit graveyard would be?) - Move Action: Navigate Crowds (shift a whole lot)

-With a reaction, you nothing personnel kid out of there as the group splits, Sunder still holding his Standard. One of ORDER's lackies snooping around your home turf, and no slouch himself. Your research on Fenrir turned out to be pivotal in evading the worst of his wrath. Maybe research into the other five horrible monsters would be prudent! As you use a generous helping of line of sight to break away from the rowdies, your Nōkanshi attendant arrives, offering you a cup of tea.

: "arigatou, watanabe-sensei." She takes the cup of tea and smiles. "it seems i've attracted a bit of a rough crowd to the grounds. we may need to hire some guards."

: "Mmmhmm. Very good, young miss." Your butler affects a look of serene grace as he considers something, then raises his index finger to really give you some quality advice from an older gentleman. "Perchance madam, your penchant for illusive effects is ineffective against the truly boorish. Even if you are not fond of it, every tool has a true purpose. Perhaps a Lumbering Brute would hit the spot... you do seem to be brimming with fresh power, after all."

: Memento-Mori fades off into the shadows as Noriko logs back out to her velvet room. "ugh! i can't believe i let him get under my skin like that..." Taking off the headset, she looks down at Crowley. "can you believe those guys?" She grins. "i bet i made my point, though. i'm sure we'll get a chance to show them up again really soon."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Tuesday 5/5, After School
(Weather: Overcast, chilly, windy)

Noriko: The agreed upon study date! It is early evening, a few hours out from dinner-time. As far as Noriko knows, she is getting ready for a pleasant evening studying for mid-terms with Akio at his house! How does she get ready, what does she wear?

Akio: As far as Akio knows, he is relaxing at home and thinking that he needs to contact Noriko and hammer down that study date before the week is over. Mid-terms are next week! But to his immense frustration, his phone is missing...

: Standing in the middle of his room, Akio scratches the back of his head. He could've sworn he left his phone on the desk, but it's nowhere to be seen. He couldn't focus on studying knowing it was missing, so he leaves his room and starts searching the house. "Hey! Has anyone seen my phone?" he calls out.

: The smell of an excellent home cooked meal in preparation has drifted throughout the house, your sisters helping Hanae cook. At your call you hear muffled chatter for a moment before your eldest sister Ruiko comes out to meet you. "Mmm, what's wrong, Akio?" She casually looks you up and down... how are you dressed for an evening of lazing about at home?

: "I can't find my phone anywhere, but I used it after I got home from school so it's gotta be somewhere around here..." Akio is dressed in grey stonewashed jeans and a blue plaid shirt, his hair is still a bit wet from taking a shower.

: "Let me help you look." Looking around upstairs, she casually guides your search past your room and towards the bathroom. "Hold it, you'll look bad if you let it dry out like that.." Before you can object Ruiko is helping you comb and straighten out your hair. "Ehhh.. did you really shower? Maybe if you try some of this!" Against your will you're causally subjected to a dab of your father's colonge about the neck!

: "Hey, stop it!" Akio says as he runs a hand through his hair to make it messy again. "Isn't cologne a bit much for a random Tuesday!?"

: Ruiko sets one hand on her hip and strikes an assertive pose, giving you a sharp look of concern. "You don't want to stink, do you? We're having a nice dinner tonight!" With a talented little sweep and sweep she combs your hair again, tut-tuting.

: With a sigh Akio resigns himself to his fate. "I took a shower, didn't I?... Anyway, I need to get back to studying, have you seen my phone or not?"

: "Noooo, I guess not. Maybe Reiko saw it?" Recognizing that you've given up, she makes sure to clean your face as well with a washcloth and some hot water. "Don't study so hard you neglect yourself, Akio..." Satisfied, Ruiko lets you go.

: "Yeah, yeah. Thanks, sis..." Akio escapes as soon as he's able and heads downstairs to the kitchen to find Reiko. "The cooking smells delicious, Reiko! Uh, Ruiko thought you might have seen my phone?"

: Reiko, not to be outdone by your older sister, always dresses in a way that mixes chic with relaxed. Somehow the apron compliments the outfit. Sure turns with an exaggerated flourish and smiles. "Thanks, Akio! Uhm.. I haven't seen that.. aahh, but oh my gosh, Akio, what are you wearing!?" She goes to cover her gasp with a spatula, then catches herself and uses her free hand instead.

: Akio looks down at himself, befuddled. "Umm... Clothes?"

: "Come on, I'll help you look for your phone." Seemingly unaware that two of you were just looking there, Reiko leads you upstairs to start with your room. "Honestly, boys can be so messy.. don't you think you should dress up a bit for a nice dinner?" She begins to help you examine and clean around your room, casually drawing out articles of clothing from your closet and dresser to lay on your bed.

: "You too, Reiko? It's just dinner!" What had gotten into his sisters today? "Besides, I'm in high school now, I can dress myself!" He starts putting the clothes back in his closet. "My phone isn't in here, I've looked already."

: Bringing the clothes back out again, Reiko has to peer up a few inches to look into your eyes, affecting a pleasing smile and a hopeful gaze. "Please, otouto? For me?" She holds up one of your rare dress shirts, reserved for achingly dull school or family events.

: Akio slumps his shoulders and sighs in resignation, again. He didn't have time to argue with his sisters today, and he always ended up losing anyway. "Fine, I'll dress up a bit." He takes the dress shirt and starts changing. "Do you two have something special planned for dinner or something?"

: Reiko beams. "How often are we all at home together? Dad will be home soon too." She helps you adjust the fit and set the buttons on your sleeves.

: "We're not all at home together..." Akio says mournfully, but he smiles back after a moment. "But it's great to see my sisters again, I've missed you. It's been pretty lonely at home."

---

: Getting ready for the evening, Noriko tries not to overthink things, knowing the more she focuses on the prospect of potentially meeting Akio's family, the harder it was going to be to deal with. Having to rule out most of her wardrobe due to the weather, she settles on a ringer top, denim skirt and thigh-high socks in black and purple, and then takes the time to put on enough makeup to make it look like she wasn't wearing any. They were just studying, so she thought it would probably be inappropriate to show up like they were going out on a date... Art.

: Heading for the door, Noriko grabs her coat and stops to say goodbye to her grandmother. "hey... i'm going over to a friend's house to study. i'll be back later tonight." she pauses, fidgeting for a second. "...do i look ok?"

: "You look wonderful, Noriko. Have a good time, dear." Your grandmother gives you a little hit of self-esteem!

: "...thank you!" she nods to her grandmother and collects her things before heading out the door. She left her window cracked just a hair so Crowley could come and go as he liked during the day, and she could see him wriggling through the space as she passed. Waiting for a moment for him to escape the apartment and hop his way down the branches, she heads off with her crow following behind. She tried not to carry him everywhere (at risk of being labeled The Girl With The Crow) but the little bird hopping from rooftop to rooftop and clothesline to clothesline was it's own sort of conspicuous.

Noriko: As you cross over gaps in time of development and amount of money presumably spent for it and things get nicer and more spacious in design closer to Akio's house, you spot a crowd of old-timer businessmen and women getting off and exiting a train from one of the nicer, newer stations in the city. It's the kind of thing that makes you want to share cynical snark with Akane...

: Noriko shakes her head. "...hm. what a waste." she thought about the long hours her dad spent working and considered how his life would have been on that path. maybe he's better off. after a moment, she feels disgusted at her cynical thought. She needed Akane for this kind of people watching to balance out her melancholy! She takes a quick over the shoulder selfie with the line of old folk in view, texting it to akane with the caption: '...olds...' her severe expression says it all!

: A quick reply chain of emoticons, shared laughter and a compliment for your outfit come back quickly. Akane also joins in on your cynicism with the term "window shoppers at funeral homes! LoL!!" which leads to a back and forth between you two to be the most grim. You barely hear the approach(though Crowley is aware) of an old man in a neat business suit approaching, trying to get your attention. "Excuse me, miss!" There's a tone of clear concern in his voice, like he was addressing a child.

: Noriko glances up at the old man, quickly putting away her phone. "mm? do you need something?"

: Looks like a tall, stuffy busybody who must work as the head of some company or something. He's even got a high hairline, totally balding! You can hear Akane's "Gross!" in your head. He smiles politely. "Young lady, could it be.. you're carrying some food?" He points to the streetlights. "That bird seems to be stalking you."

: Noriko has a long look up at Crowley. "hmm. you think so?"

: He laughs and makes a little conversational wave. "Well, maybe I'm overreacting. But they can attack people.. take care, young lady."

: "oh, i'm not worried about that." she smiles. "i feed them sometimes, so maybe this one just thinks i'm his meal ticket." (a well-timed cawwww of protest seems to burp out of the crow overhead)

: "Oh! Please, young lady! They can carry all manners of disease!" That overly intimate concern again!

: Noriko is in a strange neighborhood, trying very hard to be respectful of Akio's strange neighbors! She does her best to keep her eye-rolling to herself. "...i've heard that, but it's okay, rea-" she starts to explain when Crowley swoops down on a post beside them and mimics the old man's words back to him in a hollow, tinny sort of way: "-all manners of disease! all manners of disease!"

: He looks absolutely horrified! Without a second thought he lashes out with his briefcase, casting it as a hard spinning rectangle at Crowley!! He's also interposed himself between you and the bird, defending you!?

: W-What a move!!! Noriko is taken completely aback by the old man's overreaction, stunned as Crowley apparently triggers the old man's mark. An alarmed squawk issues from the Crow as the briefcase sends him tumbling off the post into the nearby bushes "ha... haha... th-thanks" Noriko stammers out as she glances over at the crow with a bit of concern. "i... think i'm going to be OK, so, um.... please don't hit any more birds..."

: Catching his breath, the old-timer seems to realize what just happened and rubs the back of his head, laughing for a moment. "I'm sorry! I could've swore.. well..." He goes to retrieve his briefcase. "I could've swore it spoke?" He steps out and bows his head to you. "Excuse me. Have a good night, young lady." He turns and heads down the street. Not everybody plays DDW... but like Kunio in Other City, you can see vestiges of the soul drifting about. A patriarch with a stiff back and perfect posture, an overactive sense of civility... if he played, this guy would be a Paladin.

: "hmm. what a weird guy..." Noriko remarks as he walks off, before glancing over at Crowley creeping out of the bushes. "...i can't blame you for antagonizing him but maybe you should stay out of reach next time." Noriko shoulders her bag and gives Crowley a moment to get back up off the ground before heading the rest of the way to Akio's place

---

Akio: The entire house perks up and dinner is nearly ready to be served as the door turns and opens. Father is home!

: Warm greetings are exchanged between everyone and you can overhear him chuckling as he speaks with your sisters. "Ah, I saw something that really took me back today. A young lady outside the train station that reminded me of Ruiko when she was 12.. that was around the time you had your little "witchcraft" phase, wasn't it?" To some satisfaction you can hear her protest that she totally, never, ever did any such thing. Of course, she did.

Noriko: You head towards Akio's place and finally stand before the nice house, the sun nearly set and darkness falling upon the streets. Lights are turned on and the entire house is coated in a warm light from all the activity within.

: Noriko thinks back to the last time she was here and smiles nervously, trying to do her best to not worry too much about this. She'd probably hardly even be talking to his family... she hoped! Swallowing her nerve, she walks up to the door and rings the bell

: A pair of older college age girls answer the door. The blonde is dressed like a cute housewife wearing a pink apron and the brunette has a casual maturity to her that seems custom-made for her beauty, wearing a designer dress and some edgy jewelry. They both look you over like a pair of hungry cats and grin to each other. The blonde politely addresses you as the other girl removes a smart phone from her pocket and holds it overhead, heading back into the house! "Heeeyyy, Akiiiooo! I found your phone!"

Noriko: Both are a bit taller than you, but significantly shorter than Akio would be. The blonde girl smiles at you. "You must be Noriko? I'm Yamamura Reiko, it's a pleasure to meet you." She offers to take your coat or bag!

Akio: Somebody else is at the door after everybody's gotten home! Oh, and Ruiko found your phone downstairs! Great!

: Noriko freezes in place. She knows this aura! ...Mean girls! Akio's sisters? She can tell something isn't right, but keeps it to herself. She nods. "um... likewise. did he tell you i was coming?" she feigns ignorance, even though she has a sneaking suspicion as to what's going on. Deep in a den of lions as she is, she surrenders her coat but keeps her bag to herself. "um... it's kind of my purse right now, so..." she mumbles, figuring they would understand...

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: "You found it? I'm coming!" Akio rushes to meet up with Ruiko. "Thanks! I wouldn't have thought to look downstairs, how did it end up here? Hey, so who was at the do-- wuh-what!?" He does a double take as he leans to look past Reiko. "Noriko!? What are you doing here? Uh, I mean, hi?"

: "That's alright!" Reiko accepts Noriko's coat and steps aside so that she can get a clear look at a cleaned up, dressed up Akio. Ruiko passes Akio his phone and pinches his arm. "She's here for dinner, silly."

: "She is?" Akio is hopelessly confused. "You are?" he asks Noriko. "Um... Why does it seem like I'm the last one to know. Wait, how do you even know each other?"

: "um... d...dinner?" she blinks, staring at Akio. "um... this... i just thought we were studying... i'm not dressed..." Noriko is looking pretty embarassed!

: Ruiko taps Akio's phone and brings up the active screen, showing the text conversation agreeing to study together. "You invited her, Akio! You guys can study after you eat." After storing Noriko's coat, Reiko hastens over to Ruiko and the two whisper.

: And just like that, it all suddenly makes sense. Akio throws the stinkiest of eyes at his sisters. "You sinister, conniving... You stole my phone! You planned this all along! Gah!" He quickly turns to Noriko. "I'm sorry, I guess my sisters have issues with boundaries!" he intentionall speaks loud enough for them to hear. "Uh, I was gonna ask you if you wanted to study but I couldn't find my phone, I guess you beat me to it... Um, do you want to eat dinner with my family? You really don't have to if you don't feel like it."

: "...hmph. if i knew it was something this formal i'd have dressed better. i hope your family doesn't think i'm trashy..." she looks down at her feet, frowning. "i mean... i know i kind of am... but..."

: "What? I never thought that, I think you look cute..."

: Reiko looks embarrassed and begins to apologize, but Ruiko chuckles. "We're away from home now, how often can we meet our otouto's first girlfriend?" The two step to either side of Akio and give Noriko a polite look. Ruiko pinches Akio again. "Aren't you going to introduce us all?" They look like guardian angels.. or harpies. Noriko has a strong suspicion where Akio's timidty around girls came from!

: "My girlfriend? Ah..." Akio's cheeks flush red in an instant. "T-This is N-Noriko, from my class. Noriko, this is Ruiko and Reiko, my sisters visiting from the ninth circle of hell."

: Ruiko leans forward. "The ninth is for traitors, we're really closer to the third.." Reiko blushes anew. "You look fine, Noriko!"

: Noriko blushes and does her best to smile. "t-thank you... um, I'm Noriko Mori, it's nice to meet you both."

: Reiko: "There's some time before dinner.." She looks to the eldest sister.

: Ruiko steps closer to Noriko and looks her up and down, grinning. "You're almost my size. Wanna change your look?"

: Akio scowls at Ruiko. "She looks fine the way she is."

: Ruiko peers over her shoulder with a sharp glare, adjusting her glasses. "Is that the same fine that the stinky boy in his jeans applies to himself?"

: Reiko gets a bit closer to Noriko and studies her hair. "You said it yourself, right? You want to look nicer."

: "umm..." Noriko eyes Akio's sisters warily. "i... appreciate the offer, but... i'm already here like this, so it's fine. i don't look good in baggy clothes, anyway she quips internally, keeping her snark to herself

: Ruiko steps into Noriko's personal space and clasps her upper arm. "Noriko, you're a total cutie, but you're still wearing a bunch of handicap gear." Brutal truth! Reiko looks mortified! Ruiko continues: "I'm older than you but my old clothes are still here. We can find you something formal!" You haven't known this feeling in a long time, Noriko... is this... a dependable big sister!?

: Noriko feels the walls closing in! How can she refuse??! This is bad! She gives Akio a miserable, hopeless look! Her whole body seems to flop inwards like so many strands of twirled spaghetti as she cedes to the pressure. "...s ....sure..." it would be rude to keep refusing! even if this is really weird!

-Reiko guides Akio away from watching the other two and to the dining room downstairs, where Father is reading an actual physical newspaper while Hanae does the final touches for dinner. "We'll all be down in just a few minutes!" She leaves Akio to the parents and heads upstairs to join Noriko and Ruiko.

---

: Father nods and turns the page, then angles the paper down and peers over the top of it. "Ah, Akio! That's a good look for a man to have."

: "Are you sure? It makes me feel kinda uncomfortable..." Akio replies to his dad, looking down at his clothes with a slight frown. It did look good, but was this really him? "Um, so, my gi-, uh, my g-ood friend will be joining us for dinner tonight, I hope that's okay?" God this was embarrassing. He felt bad for Noriko, he loved his sisters but they could be a handful at times. If they caused her to have an anxiety attack he'd find a ritual to actually banish them to hell...

: Your father fixes you with a stern, corrective glare, the original and ascended form of Ruiko's. "Akio... please remember, thoughts become actions. They carry over into everything." He flexes the newspaper to straighten it out and smiles. "Who will be joining us?"

: Akio straightens his posture and takes a deep breath, steeling himself. "Her name is Mori Noriko. She's in my class, we were thinking of studying for mid-terms together."

: Father adjusts his paper again, nodding. "A girl, hmm.. and mid terms already, hmm.."

: Hanae brings out dishes to set the table. "Studying is good, but do you really have time for a girlfriend?"

: Akio can feel himself starting to blush and has to fight tooth and nail to not let the embarrassment of talking about his girlfriend overcome him. "That's not for you to decide," he snaps back at Hanae. "And for your information, she's probably one of the smartest students at Naoki."

: A classic Akio mistake. You can practically see the aggression switch flip on in Hanae's head. "You're still living here, aren't you? And if your own grades drop, you'll.."

: The paper is folded. Father looks clear across the table. "Akio." A leading, pleading, corrective tone. You've erred.

: Like hell he had! Akio clenches his fist by his side, digging his nails into his palm, angry and frustrated at being treated so unfairly. He so wished he could give Hanae a piece of his mind, but he had to bottle it up like usual. "My grades won't drop. They'll be better than ever," he states.

---

Passive Perception(Noriko): There's something about Ruiko that subconsciously sets you at ease despite the social awkwardness you're experiencing. Compared to her younger sister, Ruiko is a bit taller, a bit thinner, but almost sharp and angular in comparison. Reiko is more maternal by far... but Ruiko has a confidence and style that stands a level above merely being cute or attractive! ... !!! Is this a woman who has defeated the Mori Curse?! It's true, as she shows you to her room and a closet filled with too many clothes... going back to middle school years, the two of you are a super close fit.

: "um... thanks." she flips through the clothes, surprised to see the close match. When Reiko leaves with Akio, she looks up and asks. "...so, which one of you did it, anyway?" she smirks. "my siblings used to do this sort of thing to me a lot."

: Ruiko returns the smirk. "I did. We're away at college, so visiting home and seeing an opportunity like this... how could I not?!" She pulls a few pieces that go well with your natural winter complexion. To your surprise there's a super vibrant red blouse.

: "heh. it's typical of Akio to leave his phone unlocked... sometimes i think he likes being bullied." Noriko casually pulls off her top and tucks it into her bag before reaching for the red blouse and putting it on. Scars from the accident cover her body, patches where her skin had been ripped off or bones had been broken, surgical scars around one shoulder... She was extremely self-concious about her body, but she just wanted to get this over with and felt like it was an opportunity to figure out what kind of person Ruiko was. "don't tell anyone, okay?" she looks at Ruiko seriously as she buttons the blouse up. "i'm embarassed enough having to borrow your clothes."

: Ruiko grins and gives you a little thumbs up. "It looks good! You can keep it!"

: Noriko smiles. "thank you. i appreciate your generosity."

: Pulling you aside gently once you've got the blouse on, Ruiko tries to quickly gauge any interest in accessorizing with a jewelry box and a set of ornaments and ribbons. "Well, everybody acts differently. I think after we lost mom, Akio is happy to get any kind of attention.." She adjusts the fit of the blouse slightly. "Prolly just like me." She winks at you through the glasses.

: "hehe... i know the feeling, better than i'd like to." Noriko notes as she glances over the accessories. Noriko passes on any jewelry but accepts a strip of red ribbon, which she uses to put up her hair, quickly snapping it into a tight bow arranged at an angle on the right side of her head. Looking herself over in the mirror, she shakes her head. "do you have some leggings I can borrow? these socks aren't working with this blouse."

: Ruiko obliges you with another great selection, this time of leggings. "Of course! And you're pretty good at this~"

: "mm, thank you~" Noriko settles on a simple pair of plain black leggings, shedding her socks and exposing more surgical scars and patches of marred skin; she quickly puts on the leggings without any fanfare. "i used to spend a lot of time on this sort of thing so i've had some practice." reaching into her bag, she pulls out a small travel makeup kit and touches up her makeup, applying eyeliner and a lip stain just a bit darker than her normal lip color. Looking herself over in the mirror, she seems satisfied with her outfit. "this is... much better."

: Ruiko steps up behind you and flicks out her phone, posing with you for a shared selfie. "This much is easy, Noriko. They say you should always dress your best, even if you take out the trash! Maybe you'll meet somebody important when you least expect it." She has fun, throwing up some cute hand signs and encouraging you to do the same. "I'm studying fashion theory, so if I couldn't help you, what would that make me? Every girl should be a 10, and this is how~"

: Noriko flashes the old standard: a v for victory, or as americans call it, the 'peace sign'. Juxtaposed with her blank expression, it's deeply ironic. "fashion theory, huh...? cool." after a moment, she nods. "i agree with you... i stopped caring somewhere along the way, but maybe it's time to start trying again...?"

: Ruiko: "Come on, lets go back down!"

---

Akio: Hanae glares at Akio a bit before resuming dinner prep. Reiko comes back down ahead of the others to help and the table is neatly set as a f-a-s-h-i-o-n-a-b-l-e Noriko is led in by Ruiko.

: Flanking Ruiko as they enter the room, Noriko looks a little embarassed! "um... hello." Meeting the rest of Akio's family, she takes a moment to introduce herself. "i'm Mori Noriko, it's nice to meet you."

: Akio blankly stares back at Hanae, then helps set the table with Reiko. As he hears footsteps coming down the stairs his sourness is replaced by a tinge of anxiety, but when he sees a dressed-up Noriko come down with Ruiko he smiles wholeheartedly. "Noriko, this is my father Yamamura Katsuo, and my step-mother Yamamura Hanae."

: "thank you, Akio." she smiles as best she can and bows politely. "it's very nice to meet you both. sorry for keeping you waiting, i had to take a moment to get ready... Akio didn't tell me we would be eating dinner together tonight. i'm very grateful to Ruiko for letting me borrow some things."

Noriko: Ruiko gives the adults a winning grin. As inevitable as the passing of time, Hanae and Katsuo take in the sight of Noriko, Hanae's stern look being clearly judgemental. Having not directly met Akio's stepmother, you're struck by her young age.. if she was introduced as the fourth eldest sibling it wouldn't be unusual. Father is.. plainly familiar. The busybody businessman who decked Crowley with his briefcase! There seems to be recognition dancing in his eyes for a moment! They both smile and return the greeting.

: "What a charming young lady."

: "A pleasure to meet you, Noriko." Success! Everybody sits to eat..

: Noriko takes in the situation she's in for a minute, feeling overwhelmed. She can feel Hanae staring through her and Akio's father seemed awfully... Her eyes widen for a moment. THAT guy is Akio's dad?! she thinks, feeling rather relieved she wasn't rude to him. She considers not addressing it, but that might lead to more awkwardness down the road... "Um... I believe we met earlier outside, sir." she says with an awkward smile. "i met Akio in a similar way, it seems he takes after you."

: Katsuo's face lights up in realization! For a split second static flitters between Noriko and Akio, warping their perception of things. Akio's father, alit in holy light and in full plate armor, pronouncing the one word that condemns Noriko!

Witch

And Hanae in inquisitor's stiff robes, brandishing a torch. But really, you're both still at Akio's house and the middle aged man chuckles. "Ah, we were just talking about that as I said, you were the very image of Ruiko as a teenager." Ruiko seems to be turning red in the face again. "Witch-gore, she called it?" Father chuckles as Ruiko corrects him. "Witch-core, daddy..."

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 11, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: Noriko shrinks a little in her chair, not expecting this particular sort of attention! "W-w-witch? Um... it's just the sort of style that appeals to me..." she looks a little embarassed. "it's fun to be mysterious sometimes... and, um, people treat me better, or at least, more like how i want to be treated..." Noriko thinks back to her old school, and the expectations that being an "elegant sister" type brought with it. Being sad or upset or hurt around peers who depended on her just wasn't possible...

: Akio, having finally recovered from that weird vision, reaches for Noriko's hand under the table and gives her a reassuring squeeze. "There's a lot of people at school who like to express themselves like that, dad. So, um, you met at the train station on the way here?"

: "Yes, a strange raven was shadowing her..."

: "Like a pet?"

: "Filthy."

: A raven? That must be her familiar! She brought it with her? "Oh? And then?"

: Father seems a bit concerned. "I think she said sometimes she fed them? Some wildlife get used to people if you do that, you know." Pausing between bites to consider what to say, he opts for the truth. "Well, it swooped down next to us and cawed and.. ah, I threw my briefcase at it." Hanae tactfully hides a big amused smile behind her utensils.

: "Awww, daddy! That poor bird!"

: "You really like animals, Noriko?"

: "Any given bird could be crawling with disease.."

: "You threw your briefcase at it?" Akio can't help it, he bursts out laughing when he pictures it in his head. "Haha! Birds are pretty smart creatures, but I don't think you needed to do that..."

: Noriko gives Akio a bemused look as his dad goes on about the crow. "...it seemed more reflexive than anything... and the bird was fine." Noriko considers how to approach the conversation... "and, um... birds spend a lot of time cleaning themselves, even trash birds like crows." she considers going into a spiel about parasite transmission but it's dinner time so she keeps it to herself. "they get a bad reputation because of the things they eat... so when i feed them i'm really just trying to make sure they're eating well... I'm not going around picking up strange birds or anything." She nods to Reiko. "um, some, anyway. I like birds and cats a lot, and any small animal you can hold in your hands..." realizing she's just talking about witch familiars, she hastily adds "...and dogs"

: Katsuo chuckles and points to Akio: "Hey now, I still got him."

: The sisters seem amused but Hanae is occasionally giving Noriko that glare, as Akio knows it. Eventually Reiko props the conversation back up. "Are you two in any clubs?"

: "Clubs?" Distracted by Hanae's uncomfortable glares at Noriko, Akio is caught off guard by Reiko's question, and has to scramble to think of an answer. An answer that did not involve telling his parents that they were in an occult club! "Ah, um, I'm in the karate club. I mostly joined because some of my friends were already in it, but it's been fun so far. Noriko is in a fencing club at Nekketsu, which is our sister school. There was some bad blood between our schools but I hear it's getting better now... We're also in an, um... foreign literature club together. There's a lot of reading and translating texts from different languages, it's pretty cool..."

: Your answer defuses some heat from Hanae and gets a nod of approval from Katsuo, but Reiko lights up at your last club mention! You remember vaguely your father mentioning their studies... Ruiko, the fashion student, and Reiko, the history student! "Really?! That's great, otouto! What texts are you working on right now?"

: Ah, crap, of course she was going to bite on that! "Um, we're working on a few different French texts right now, actually. Mostly from the years following the revolution."

: Ruiko smells blood and grins. "Which ones? Maybe Reiko could visit your club..." Reiko nods excitedly!

: Akio throws a distressed look at Noriko. "Ah, we should probably check to see if the others are okay with it before we decide on anything?..."

: Noriko tries not to laugh as Akio spills the noodles. "Hmm... right now we're mainly on esoteric philosophy and mid 19th century theology... we're really more of an anthropology club than literature if you think about it."

: "That's such a good period!"

: Hanae's judgement of Noriko seems to soften. "You must be doing wonderfully in school, Noriko. You sound like quite the scholar." Spectacled eyes that probe for weakness.. you're grateful she can't see your scars!

:Noriko nods to Reiko. "the world was opening up, new ideas were flourishing everywhere. it was a very good period." she glances over at Akio for a second and smirks. "you're welcome to come to the club sometime if you want, i don't know how interesting it would be for you, though. our research gets pretty narrow sometimes." Noriko seems flattered by Hanae's compliment. "hmmm... i'm doing quite well this year." (true... this year! ohohohoho!) "scholar...? i wouldn't go that far, but i'm trying, hehe." she smiles. "we'll see if i'm worthy of a title like that someday though."

: Katsuo chuckles. "I look forward to your midterm results with such academic enthusiasm."

: Surprisingly, a little blinding at first, Akio witnesses the first crack in the gloom he's ever seen since meeting the woman. Seeing Noriko get comfortable and then confident, Hanae seems pleased. "Yes, it's wonderful you two can study together. It must be a great club, you're both going to Naoki."

: "Naoki has been good to me so far," Akio grins. It was surprising to see Hanae pleased. Had Noriko really managed to mollify her so easily? If so, that was a huge relief. But at the same time he could feel the mounting pressure to perform well at the midterms... "Ah, I'm sure the midterms will be a piece of cake now that I have someone as intelligent as Noriko to study with!"

: Dinner passes blissfully, Akio's family taking well to Noriko! Eventually Katsuo and Hanae share some unheard words and the two smile to Akio and Noriko, Katsuo speaking: "This has been a wonderful dinner with family, why don't you two get to studying?" An early permission to leave the battlefield... !

:Noriko feels relieved, both because this was deeply distressing to her, and because she really, really needed to study. "thank you, i really enjoyed everything."

: "Yes, thanks for dinner, it was great!" Akio says and stands up to give a polite bow. "Okay, um, let's go to my room and get started." Akio leads Noriko up the stairs to his room and closes the door behind them, and only then does he let out a sigh of relief. "I thought they were going to burn you at the stake for a moment there, but you handled it really well!" He smiles at her, but then makes an apologetic expression, "...I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I didn't plan any of this, I didn't even know you were coming! My sisters tricked us..."

:"you. didn't. lock. your. phone!" she soundly (but playfully) bonks him on the head. "what if i'd.... what if i'd sent you something...." she looks red in the face. "anyone could have seen it!" Noriko holds her own phone out - the lock screen is a swirling series of magic circles, with a passcode entry... in norse runes! what in the world!?

: Akio stares almost mesmerized at the screen. "Wow, that's pretty intense..." He quickly shakes his head to snap out of it. "I left it on my desk as I went to take a shower, I didn't think anyone would come in and take it! Wait..." He looks at her, red in the face, and smirks bashfully, "send me something?"

: Noriko looks away, suddenly embarassed. "i don't know what you're talking about! dummy! and it'll never happen until you put a password on your phone, anyway!'

: Smiling, Akio leans in and plants a kiss the cheek she left exposed. "Hehe, you're the cutest, Noriko. I'll make sure to secure my phone so it never happens again."

: "you'd better!" Noriko blushes, trying to sound as mad as she can manage. "i don't want to stumble into another trap like this ever again! but... your sisters seem really nice. so... i'm glad they tricked me into coming over, at least." she reaches into her bag and starts pulling out her books.

: "My sisters can be a bit pushy at times, but they always mean well. I'm happy that you seem to get along!" Akio smiles, but with a sense of melancholy as he continues. "They're really important to me, you know? After mom died it was mostly just the three of us at home. Dad was working late every day, it felt like I barely saw him. We took care of all the chores together and supported each other..." He turns his head and wipes the corner of his eye with his hand. "It's weird how you can have precious memories in the wake of something so sad..." Looking back at Noriko, he smiles again. "I guess we should start studying for real, lest we anger the holy inquisition." He starts collecting his study books that are strewn haphazardly across the room, some of them left open as if he was in the middle of reading them. "I gotta say, I didn't expect you to gain Hanae's favor after she was throwing those glares at you. I'm impressed!" he laughs.

: "ehhh. i've always known how to deal with parents. hanae probably looks at your performance as an indicator of her success as a stepmother. if i'm a distraction it reflects poorly on her." settling down beside him, she cracks open a book and gets to work. "so i just emphasized my academic merits. i'm clearly not going to drag you down so she has nothing to worry about. though, if we're going to be spending time together, it looks like it's going to be studying for a while..."

: "Huh, so that's why she acts like she does?" Akio frowns thoughtfully as he flips through his book before settling on a page. "Well, I do like the idea of studying with you," he gives her a playful little nudge with his elbow, "so I guess that's fine. I want to do well at the midterms too. I bet they'll be much more permissive if we ace it!"

: You hit the books with gusto, enduring one expected interruption from Hanae offering you both some fresh brewed tea. Surely you would not be caught in the midst of any hanky-panky during this intense study session!?

: Of course not! Like Noriko would take a risk like that with his whole nosey family in the house! Light handholding is the night at it's most erotic.

: It should go without saying that Akio is just as, if not more, afraid of getting caught doing something unsanctioned as Noriko, feeling like he's constantly being watched. He entertains the notion of casting a bunch of warding spells on his room, but knows that that'd just be even more suspicious if anyone noticed.

: Sipping her tea, Noriko enjoys the rest of the evening feeling calm and at peace...

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Fortune arcana...

Your bonus to Support Personas of the Fortune arcana increases to +2 Attack/Damage/Healing! Akio and Noriko both gain +1 Academics as well.

The evening goes perfectly. The Yamamura's take a shine to Noriko, particularly the two sisters and then some. As Noriko leaves for the evening Hanae whispers to her "Please help keep him in line, Noriko-chan." Akio finds himself seeing his Father alone for a bit before the two retire for the evening, Katsuo giving him a low-key way to go, son.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 12, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Thursday 5/7, Early Morning

: One morning before you would head to school early for track pratice, you bump into Kaname in the hall. He looks to be in good spirits though, so you get the feeling this isn't bad. "Takashi, you'll need to stay behind a bit. I've wrangled some time for an associate of mine to see you. You should be on time for school though."

: Trying to cram everything into his brief moments between everything else, Takashi is not surprised to nearly run into his uncle, "Of course, Oji-san, I've always got time," he hopes he doesn't sound too overwhelmed.

: Leading you to his personal study, Kaname steps in ahead of you and you hear polite if stiff words being exchanged. He calls you in shortly and introduces you to an older woman about half a head shorter than you, a severe looking business-type in a crisp, immaculate suit. Conservative style, long skirt, at least mid-30s if you had to guess. You've run into a lot of a lot of older women lately but this time feels more like meeting an administrator from school. "Regarding your continued interest, Takashi, I want to introduce you to an invaluable business partner of mine, and my personal accountant. You'll just need to handle a few legal formalities."

: She gives you a long bow, close to deep but suggesting a bit of distance. She knows Kaname, obviously, but has her own and possibly comparable standing.. "It is nice to meet you, Kurokawa-san." Kaname excuses himself from the room as she offers you a business card from a tastefully gilded case that you think might have an honest gemstone or two as part of the frame-work. Tanabe Ryoko

: At Kaname's initial comment, "Thank you, Uncle," followed by a deep, but not mocking, bow to the unknown woman. It pays to show respect to others until they prove themselves unworthy of it. "Good to meet you as well, Miss," he accepts the card and finishes, "Tanabe-san," he lets her take the lead, since she is obviously here for a specific purpose.

: "If you desire to work with the family, you're of a bit higher standing than the average man, but you're still accountable." She produces a small ledger and a pen. "It's come to our attention that you had an altercation with a gentleman recently, a street dealer... please, tell me about that."

: "Ah that, okay. The guy was scamming a friend of mine, an American diplomat's son, with the help of a girl, in addition to dealing cheap study drugs. I tracked him down and I dissuaded him of his career choices. Physically. I implied that I represented the local gumi, though I never referred to anything by name, because I wanted him to be very dissuaded. I know that wasn't my place, but I can't change what I've already done," he doesn't leave any details out, and isn't trying to hide anything.

: Ryoko spends a fair amount of time taking fastidious notes. "Mmm. At least you're honest." She has a business-like tone that never seems to abate. "As an actual representative of the family, you're aware this won't be your decision to make in the future." She produces some documents from her briefcase and offers them to you, with time to read if you like. Seems to be some simple legal work regarding employing/allowing her to manage finances. A few aren't any you're aware of. There's also a few related to subjects like limited power of attorney and recipients in a will.

: "Of course, Tanabe-san, that goes without saying," he smiles, "but I understand why you have to say it," accepting the papers, Takashi does in fact read them, trying to at least understand what he's agreeing to where relevant, "What does 'managing my finances' entail exactly?" he shuffles the papers slightly, "surely you don't manage everyone's finances, do you?" he remains respectful, but doesn't let the solemnity of the situation prevent him from being friendly and jovial.

: "I manage things important to your father." If you were testing the depths of how much she works, Ryoko doesn't seem to notice. She waits for you to sign a paper relevant to a bank account you weren't aware you had before presenting you with a bank card. "Hmm.. if nothing else, you shouldn't be in a situation where certain resources aren't available to you. We'll notice if you act too greedily, but you are covered in case of emergencies and should the need to indulge a bit come up. There's no denying that you may pursue greater business interests some day.. or even come across unfortunate circumstances. In the case of the worst, everything will be handled smoothly. Anyone you leave behind should be taken care of by the efforts of your labor." You pick up on a few odd verbal tics she has, a very particular way of speaking.

: "Sensible, given the risks," he continues signing documents once he is satisfied he understands them, "I imagine there are a handful of people I am to call on if the authorities are involved in order to protect the family's interests?"

: "You're familiar with the idea that if things get heated, contact an attorney and say nothing? Never speak in your own defense?" She gestures to her business card without pointing directly at you. "It is the same idea. I will take care of it."

: "Again, those things are table stakes. But I appreciate why you have to say them. I'll hang on to this," he taps the card on the table in front of him, "and hopefully never have to call you for anything like that," he signs another document, taking his time with the penmanship of his name, "what are the limits of your intervention, Miss Tanabe-san? I wouldn't want to overstep."

: "You don't have to concern yourself with that." She takes the final document and offers you a polite forced smile. "Were there any other questions?"

: "Not at the moment. Thank you for your time this morning," he stands and offers her a respectful bow again, "Tanabe-san."

: She returns it. "Do not hesitate to contact me if you require assistance." And your little morning interlude ends.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Saturday 5/9, Evening, Online

Akio: Sometime during the week you inevitably log into DDW and seek out your prize, your build lynchpin, your enabling piece for the beginning of your snowballing magnum opus. If Red Charlotte was an immovable wall of a Swordmage that drew her foes to her, you would be a masterfully mobile one that extended the shielding to your allies. To that end you visit the House of Fortune in the Ecclesia Mindscape and look up available auctions for an "Eladrin Ring of Passage."

-There are no results returned. The item is not available from any player in DDW in the entire world!

: What? Akio scowls inside his VR headset. This makes no sense! The ring should only be useful for a very narrow combination of class, build AND race, it's far too niche to have sold out entirely. There's just no way! Unless... He hangs his head and sighs. Unless someone with seemingly endless resources had bought up the entire market for no other reason than to get to him personally. He distances himself from the large crowds on the Auction Hall floor and glances up at the windows overlooking the Hall, crossing his arms as he focuses his eyes on one window in particular. The one that belongs to Isabelle's office.

-With a series of ratcheting clicks and steady steps one of the clock-work attendants steps up to you in an immaculate bellboy's uniform, offering you a perfect quick-silver tray with a sealed invitation. "Excuse-me-sir. You-match-parameters-for-Ambrose-sama, save-for-discrepency-in-level-range." He offers you the tray and once you've accepted, holds an upturned palm out and waits.

: How he hated being right sometimes. Ambrose nonchalantly drops a few gold coins in the attendant's palm and then proceeds to ignore him, turning away to open up the sealed envelope.

-We Should Talk and the sigils swirling under the simple Japanese kanji line animate and produce an ethereal hand. It curls the index finger to you tauntingly and then whips around and points towards Isabelle's office.

: A silver flame swallows the note in his hand as he deletes it from his inventory. "Seeing as you went through all the effort..." he mutters under his breath and sets course for the elevators leading up to Isabelle's office. The ride up felt agonizingly slow today... What exactly did she want from him, and how much did she know?

=You return to the inner sanctum of the Fortune House, every bit as luxurious and impossible as you remember it. Though the animated Golems remain as door guards and let you pass without incident, the sassy little Goblin doorwoman isn't at her usual station. Pleasant, relaxing music is played through the zone.

: That's odd, why isn't her secretary here? Ambrose throws a glance at one of the high level golems, then shrugs and continues to the door, knocking on it.

-Suddenly an explosion of loud music rips through the room! You could swear that the guards are about to turn on you and strike!

: Feeling threatened, he reflexively raises his magical warding and quickly scans his surroundings, but he doesn't draw his sword.

-Standing perfectly straight and only infrequently flexing their fingers, the enchanted golems aren't moving in response to threats. The absence of even primitive heads makes it impossible to read their facing or even get hints of their temperament. Your knock dislodges an open door, the music growing louder in Isabelle's Velvet Room Office. You can hear two voices inside excitedly murmuring back and forth, the loud music drowning out details.

: Ambrose rolls his eyes, is some music enough to get him to jump out of his boots now? He lowers his wards and pushes the door wide open, then enters the office. "What are you doing?"

: Your words are lost in the midst of the super sweet rising point of The Darkness Nova. Inside the office Isabelle and Braxienne are enjoying the zenith of the climatic battle theme, both sitting behind the desk and focusing intently on a projected Settings Menu for the Mindscape. Interrupting seems a bit out of place. The two share muted quips back and forth until the track winds down. "Isn't that intense? It was always my favorite." A bit of her smugness has been reined in. Is this the true Isabelle?

: "It's better than even the mainline Final Fantasy pieces!" Brax sits on the desk, the saucy dame agreeing with her friend.

-They transition to a less outrageously loud piece and continue.

: Isabelle bunches her hands up and practically squeals. "This track is so perfect!"

: Brax wrings her hands together too, the two looking like schoolgirls. "It's so dramatic!"

: "Setting the stage for when.."

: ".. and then that..." As the elegant track plays, a reminder of simpler times in gaming aesthetics, you witness an unequaled nerding out. "Oooooooh! You should use this one for sure! But isn't that tall weedie guy coming by soon?"

: "Yes, we should get ready. He can't possibly miss my message." The self-assured older woman chuckles.

: Ambrose leans his back against the wall near the door and gives it a kick, slamming it shut with a loud bang. "When it comes to classic video game music I tend to prefer platformers over RPGs, though there's always exceptions I suppose. Either way, I suggest broadening your horizons before you make a final decision. Also, hello."

: The music track slowly decreases in volume as it reaches the end of its final loop. In growing silence the two turn their heads to face the door, Brax gawking and Isabelle mortally embarrassed, her face a vivid red to compliment her bright pink hair. Invoking a circle of dark sigils Braxienne steps out of the room as Isabelle stands up, snatches one of her attendant grimoires out of the air and throws it straight at Akio, impacting his face with a flat WHUMPH "IF YOU'LL EXCUSE ME FOR A MOMENT AMBROSE!!"

: As the tome slides off Ambrose's face it exposes an amused smirk. "I'm sorry, did I catch you at a bad time? I assumed, what with the invitation and all, that you were expecting me." he raises an eyebrow, still smirking.

: A low, rising growl is interrupted by a giant ethereal palm shoving you out the door. It closes automatically for a minute. After a sufficient amount of time that you assume is spent in a breathing exercises, the door unlocks and slowly rolls open, revealing the mysterious and majestic Velvet Room Office you entered before. Isabelle sits at her desk with her fingers laced before her, only the slightest strain about her eyes suggesting she was so... relatable a minute ago. You pick up on her nicer "business voice" as she greets you. "Here so soon, Ambrose?" (and although the music has stopped in character, a returning theme for the reader)

: Ambrose looks ever so slightly disappointed as he re-enters the room to find that Isabelle had mostly recovered from her embarrassment, but he soon smiles again, and takes the liberty to seat himself in front of the desk, leaning back and stretching out his legs, resting them on top of each other. "Well, I got the distinct impression that my favorite benefactor wished to see me. Who am I to keep her waiting?"

: "I was infected with curiosity when I heard my damned robo and some others smashed the invincible Fenrir in his own PvP..." Isabelle shifts back a bit to open and remove a thin drawer from her desk. She produces a cushioned jewelery tray upon which sit two dozen rings with similar insignias of Eladrin letters and elusive faeries. She bats her eyelashes at you before picking up one to try on, sharing her hand with you to examine the fit.

: "Hmm, it's always a wonder how quickly word gets around." Ambrose plays along, taking her hand and giving the ring a closer look. He frowns and shakes his head disapprovingly. "Too tight." Letting go of her hand, he continues. "He was foolish, and alone. He never really stood a chance. I hope I didn't cause any harm to ORDER's reputation."

: She laughs and offers a ring to you, shortly followed by her hand so that you may slide it on. "Never stood a chance? How did your head get through the door?" She shakes her head, some strands of hair coming loose. "We're fine. In fact, the king of pvp renouncing his reputation has caused... a boom in business!" With her friend hand she beckons over a pair of tomes that land on the desk and flip open to animated charts of paragon and epic item sales. She lowers her offered hand and beams at you. The smile slowly realigns to a coy, predatory grin. "Now Ambrose, why were you two fighting in the first place?"

: Ambrose plays around with the ring for a bit before he slips it on her finger. "Pretty rings, these." To her question, he simply shrugs. "We ran into each other in a mindscape, our eyes both set on the same target. Only one of us could win, and he wouldn't surrender. So we fought. You haven't asked him about it?"

: Isabelle smirks as you slide the ring on and admires the fit for a moment, then laughs. "He just spews out a bunch of poo poo about honor and valor and other manly code nonsense that means he doesn't really know why he does anything he does. I'm guessing he's like those guys who have to do things a certain way or "it didn't count!"" Hah! She sets the drawer back in the desk and extends you a quick link to a DDW In-Game Mod Download of a light, minimal .exe that runs a Runesigil client in-game, the same little wizard poker game you saw dogs and an idiot raccoon playing in the Lady of White's Forests. "Mmmmmm, he did say something that got everybody's attention. Ambrose, have you ever heard of a Great Game?" She channels some arcane energy and stretches and spreads it out in two quick swipes, conjuring up an ethereal representation of her own Runesigil deck on her side of the deck.

: Ambrose lets out a chuckle. "Heh. That sounds like Fenrir alright, he's not exactly what I'd call a cerebral type. Letting his archaic sense of what it means to be a man hamstring himself so thoroughly... There's no denying his raw talent, but meatheads like him are always going to end up squandering it, don't you think?" Ambrose tenses up as Isabelle brings up the great game, and Akio can feel his heart rate increasing. Breaking eye contact, he focuses on the table in front of him, making intricate gestures with his fingers as he channels arcane energy, summoning his Runesigil deck from a swirl of blue magic essence. He remains silent for a moment longer, considering what to say, then he lifts his gaze to look her in the eyes, and nods. "Yes. I've... been made aware of the game." There's no way she didn't already know, it was pointless to lie. "I'm not sure if I entirely believe all I've heard. The prize sounds too good to be true. But if it is... What did Fenrir have to say?"

: The both of you pass for your first turns and soon take to setting down understatted minions, drawing upon sneaky effects that set traps or build your resources with card draw, passive skill activators for later or granting boosted HP to your Avatars. Isabelle's eyebrow rises just for the slightest second by the end of your second round play, but she segues in smoothly back to talking during her own third round. "He seems convinced it will turn his life around. It does sound outlandish, especially the bit about thinking magic is real outside this game." Isabelle chuckles as she casts down a Mage-King Deck staple, a thick body minion that activates additional magic missile castings when other spells are used while he is active. "Is that why you boys were fighting? Your eyes were both on the same target? What are these targets, exactly?" Her tone is light yet clearly probing, with a touch of caution. You feel like you're suddenly a tentative seller trying to deal with a merchant or investor...

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 11, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: "Wealth, power. The usual spoils of victory." Ambrose arms his avatar with the Volcanoseed Blade and attacks Isabelle's minion, turning it into a living bomb that will explode at the start of her turn. "I guess I should be grateful to Fenrir, he did save me a lot of grinding after all." He then plays the Arcanist's Jar, a cheap minion that lets him draw extra cards when it dies, feeding it to the flames. Passing the turn, he lifts his eyes from the game. "So you haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary in real life? I'm surprised that a player of your caliber haven't come upon something, if magic is supposed to be real."

: Isabelle politely shakes her head, observing your cards play out with patient grace. She simply entombs everything you've done in a wave of ice that essentially pauses the game for a round. "Don't you think the existence of magic would be a big deal? Anyone who stumbled upon that would be master of the world in due time... or cause a panic, hahaha." She looks up from the frozen field and raises an eyebrow at you. "I don't suppose you're going to tell me you're it?"

: "It?"

: "A real wizard." She smirks and ends her turn.

: "I would never make such a bold claim," Ambrose smirks back. He throws another couple expendable minions on the board and passes the turn.

: Humming thoughtfully she surveys the board at the end of the round before unleashing a radiating ice shard, annihilating one of your frozen guys and battering the mooks with AOE equal to its health. "You wouldn't, would you, but it's hard to tell.. the air pressure in the room changes when your big head enters it." Seeking to delay further a big spell-immune taunt hits the board. Your Bomb goes off and clears the chaff. Setting her elbow on the table and her chin in her palm, Isabelle muses. "Is this related to "Joker" or that dead kid?"

: "Joker? I thought he was beneath your notice." With his hand filled to its limit with cards, it was time to put on the pressure. Ambrose plays the Grave Titan, a taunt minion which strength is determined by how many minions died the previous turn, and buffs it with the Sigil of Alacrity, turning the anti-aggro card into a dangerous offensive threat. "But yes, he's still as determined to see ORDER undone as before. Oh, and he plays the great game too, so you might want to take my warnings seriously. As for that dead 'kid'..." He sends his Grave Titan at Isabelle's blocker, crushing it and taking a sizable chunk out of her life total. He narrows his eyes as he looks at her. "I believe someone murdered him using magic. And I believe that person is from ORDER." He passes the turn.

: Unaffected by your dramatic board play, Isabelle freezes the board again. You feel a creeping realization pair with a second as your mind accelerates towards two conclusions: you lost a bit of focus in your original plan to play the Archwizard's Deep Freeze deck, and Isabelle is playing that same deck but with razor precision and no "fun" cards like your lumbering Titan. She peers at you with a coy grin and eyes curving into smug little half-moons. "He was, but you keep bringing these things up that seem to be connected somehow. I ask you to watch Ailuridae, and they seem to have a bad habit of fighting with ORDER. And now you're really cutting down to the bone..." She sets both elbows on the table and leans forward, head in her hands. "If they're from ORDER, are they playing the "great game?" Which one do you think it is? ... If they're killing, should I be worried? Can I be sure you're not Joker?" She passes her turn, watching you intently.

: Ambrose sighs as it becomes clear that Isabelle is running the cookie cutter build. What's wrong with people that refuse to have a little fun? He places two cards on the table face-down, and repeats her questions like he's telling her fortune. "Are they playing the great game?" He flips the first card, Blast Wave, dealing minor damage to all minions on the board and thawing them. "Can you name a full member of ORDER that isn't? Should you be worried?" He flips the second card, revealing Silver Clone, creating a magic immune copy of his Titan. "Without a doubt, I don't think this person intends on sharing their winnings. Am I Joker?" He attacks with both of his Titans. "No, of course not. That's illogical. If I was Joker I would not alert you to my existence. Believe it or not, I'm not that vain." He passes the turn. "As for the murderer's identity, I have no desire to hazard a guess. But maybe you have an idea?"

: Devastating a bit over half of Isabelle's life, you still fail to get even a touch of concern for the gamestate from her. As if expecting this exact scenario to play out she invokes a 0 mana cost board state modifier: Reverse Time. The board state is moved back to when your frozen Titan stood alone, at which point Isabelle plays Grandfather Paradox and oblierates the Titan that cannot resist magic. Although it does not undo the damage to her primary life, this does ripple forward as time catches up and obliterate your Silver Clone Titan as well. From there Isabelle plays the companion Taunt to her original. She smiles politely at you. "Ambrose, you must hazard a guess. If you thought it was me, you would be feeding me information. Therefore, you think it is one of the others. I'm touched~" Her almost trademark taunting voice lilt stings you again as she passes turn. "And maybe you are Joker, and maybe you think it's me, because acting on thought patterns that appear illogical is the first step to propagating a mind game. But I don't want to waste time playing guessing games and hypotheticals with you, so lets focus on what we do know." Isabelle hmms as she examines her thinned hand. "Since I asked you to look into Ailuridae, you've done a lot of good for me. Better than the others apping. And as long as you work with me, we'll both benefit, right? Nobody wants to get killed, if that's the game at play." The touch of concern in her almost makes your heart melt. You reckon that even Barons recognize the value of their own life! "Magic as real, the great game, anything you wish for coming true... that's too much to take in. So I wanted to talk to you about something else..."

: "Hmm, nice play." Ambrose comments as he regards the board with a cool composure. While it looked favorable for him at the moment, such things can change quickly in these matchups. Returning to the original deck plan he plays out the remainder of his hand, summoning two magic missile generating taunts to rival Isabelle's one, then freezes the board with a spell to start stockpiling magic missiles. "Agreed," he says as he ends his turn. "So what do you wish to talk about?"

: As you stockpile your game winning offense, Isabelle enters the late game by summoning the Legendary Elminster, guaranteed to steadily feed her cards from a pool of magical effects so fantastic they're at the same time mythical in power and metaphorical poppycock. The taunt is in the way and he's no slouch for health, enduring long past his prime. Isabelle lets you keep the board frozen as she passes turn and accepts one of his spell cards, playing a card draw from her hand. "You remember your fellow applicants, at Etemenanki? Two of them have been following up with me and they told me a strange story. One way or another they were both defeated in game... casual play, serious dungeons, whatever it was, the important bit is they both reached 0 HP. They say they met a strange NPC in an unlisted Mindscape with a purgatory theme... and he made them a deal." She looks over her cards and then gives you the old raised eyebrow, her grin full of cocky confidence. At the game, or the events? ".. They said strange things started happening in real life and they feel like they're being stalked..."

: "That's disturbing." Ambrose says, leaving it equally ambiguous whether he's talking about the game or the events. He draws his card for the turn and smirks, "I haven't had the pleasure to drop to zero hitpoints myself, as I'm sure you can imagine." He polymorphs Elminster into a pig wearing a wizard hat, then blows it up with a magic missile, filling his hand further with arcane artillery thanks to his minions. "Did they give any details about these deals they made?"

: "They claim they were asked to perform something impossible... and were terrified to tell me what. They said they couldn't share it with one of ORDER's officers." She laughs at the scene of the little pig being confused, then sent rolling off of the battlefield. For her turn she freezes the battlefield once again, bombarding your artillery boys into icy graves with an expenditure of additional power for a more expensive but damaging freeze. "So, I'll need you to talk to them and help them with that. They're very insistent that they hold up their end of this mystery deal." She plays with the specially gilded Elminster spell card she still holds, passing turn without using it as she draws further ammunition for her Hand. Her Taunt smashes your face for a fair bit of damage. "And of course, I want you to tell me all the fine details in the end! In ex~change for that~" She pulls the jewelry drawer open again, picking out five of the precious rings and eyeing you for reaction... like grabbing a treat for a dog.

: Ambrose eyes the rings, then gives Isabelle a dirty look. "What else do your little charts and spreadsheets say about me, I wonder." He laughs. "For you, I'll see it taken care of." He draws his card for the turn and subsequently unloads all his magic missiles, sending them all up top, leaving Isabelle on a precarious life total of one. He regards the last card in his hand for a lengthy moment. "It stings to lose, doesn't it?" He plays it, summoning a weak one drop minion, totally useless in the face of Isabelle's taunt. "It looks like I'm stuck top-decking," he says with a shrug, and passes the turn.

: As you'd except from the deck, Isabelle uses her full resources and Elminster's specially generated total bullshit fireball to lob a lifepoint total's worth of overkill directly at your face! She levitates the five rings, dancing in midair over her flexing fingers, watching expectantly for some last second turnaround. "Hmmmm..."

: "Hmm..." Ambrose leans back in his chair and strokes his chin thoughtfully, then casually walks his fingers on the table over to his lonely minion, and feigns a gasp as he flips it over to reveal its true nature. The trap card Spell Reflect. "Oops."

: Isabelle's deck dissolves to runic sigil strands in thousands of tiny, string-sized lengths and fades away, as does your own as the game ends. She laughs aloud and brings the five rings together, channeling real in-game power to force something. "Do good this time and I think you're a cinch to invite. I could really grow fond of a guy like you as a teammate!" Focusing epic forces into the five rings, they dissolve into their base enchantments and are forcefully melded together, creating a new ring altogether. She summons two of her ledgers and makes notes with dancing animated feather quill pens before telekinetically gesturing the new ring over to you. "I'll give you their contact info and a meeting place. And don't be tardy, they mentioned their benefactor's deals have a deadline..."

quote:

True Eladrin Ring of Passage (Unsellable, Level/Quality N/A)

This delicate pure silver mithral chain-link ring is detailed to the point of legendary craftsmanship. Each link has runic sigils carved into it in such a way that they double as displays of simple scenes myths of the feywild, such as depicting figures clashing, or animals and faeries moving in reaction to one another.

Property: When you teleport, increase the distance of your teleport by 1.
Daily(Teleportation, Move Action): You teleport 8 squares. Line of Sight is not needed. Square must not be Occupied.

Property: When you teleport, you may choose to leave behind a 1/1 + 1/1 Reflection of yourself. It is obviously an illusionary image. It has your Defenses/Attack/Damage, blocks movement, threatens with MBAs and can apply or benefit from your Marks or Interupt Powers, using either yourself or the Image as the starting square for determining distance. Only one Image may exist at a time.

: Ambrose's eyes light up with fascination as he closely watches the ring get crafted. He plucks it out of the air with a grin as she telekinetically proffers it to him. "I dare say this boon far outshines the blade you gave me last time." He holds it up and admires its marvelous ornamentation (and ingame stats, of course). "A dozen times over, at the very least." He slips it on his finger and looks up at Isabelle. "I'll take care of it as soon as possible. Is there anything else you need of me?"

: "Ehhh, could you stand on one leg and spin in circles? Hop up and down as you do it, clap and bark like a seal?" She half-mimes raising her own hands over her head, not feigning enough enthusiasm to clap or enough of a lack of dignity to actually bark. "... I'm kidding. Take care of this really well, alright? If the things you're talking about are true, it's important to put together what's real, isn't it?" She leans forward on her elbows again and smiles. "Ohh... there is one thing, actually..." Her eyes pop open and she tilts her head, looking skyward as she taps her index finger to her chin in a show of thought.

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: "Don't worry, I don't half-rear end anything. I want to know what's going on too," he replies, then affects a patient smile. "And what would that be?"

: "Fenrir identified four other players that fought him. I think I'm familiar with you, you started out following Charlotte.. now these four." She produces animated illusions of a shining deacon, a gloomy sorceress, a sharp swordswoman and a smoldering wolf. "I've never heard of them before. A few bothered Royal, I think. What can you tell me about them?" She beams. "When Fenrir gives up his little self-declared PvP Godhood this week, everybody's going to follow the guys that pushed him out of the spot." She raises her other hand and produces a swirling display of her ledgers, all showcasing materials costs and projected profits! "Somebody has to sell them the goods to emulate their heroes!" She giggles, her hand naturally drooping for a bit. Maneki-neko!?

: Ambrose lets out a chuckle, but takes a serious tone as he speaks. "Mm, just so we are perfectly clear, I'm not in the business of selling out my allies. But let's just say that I think you'll see an increase in demand of items that boost movement speed, healing, debilitating status effects, and too large swords. Oh, and teleportation." He holds up his hand, showing off his ring, "but you already knew that."

: Isabelle smirks. "I thought you were joining with ORDER? They're your allies now?" She shrugs and affects a very forced sigh. "We'll see how you feel when you get the invite... now go on, get outta here."

: "And I thought this assignment was only supposed to take one month." He winks as he stands up, and then performs an over the top bow. "Adieu, mon chérie." He makes his exit.

-As you depart your innate Arcana senses a lingering outline, the shape of the battlefield in the last round of the card game. ... Isabelle could have attacked to check your little spell reflector with her still active, alive and unexhausted hefty taunter. A fluke? As you depart you catch Braxienne hastily withdrawing from obviously listening at the door, which being a video game seems to involve speedrun worthy attempts to enter a sub-pixel wide zone of receiving audio data without actually crossing over to Isabelle's Room! Impressive!

: She smirks as you go, having already taken up an idle animation of filing her nails. "Not bad, kid."

: There's no doubt that Isabelle could've won. Should've won? She'd always struck him as too analytical to make a mistake like that. No matter. Finding himself in high spirits as he leaves the office, he favors the goblin with a smile. "Take care, Braxienne."

---

Akio: Outside the Fortune House you witness the arrival of a magnificent grand procession. A dozen heavily armed and heroically armored Dragonborn/Kobold players arrive, making great efforts to act like official NPCs as they sweep around two members of ORDER zoning into the boundaries of the great auction house. You recognize the top player immediately, of course, but you're not as familiar with the greatest DPS in the world, <Magus-Lord> Thaddeus Dragonsblood, a three foot tall Kobold with the makings of dragonsblood in his lineage. A crowd of players is already clamoring around just to watch the <Dragonsblood Tribe> guildies under Thaddeus put on their roleplayer show, treating the two as royalty and using text means without any weight, force or authority to convince others to "Make way!" To their credit, or perhaps the credit of the two they're escorting, it's working.

: The Dragonsblood troupe of roleplaying clowns elicits an eye-roll from Ambrose, but Charlotte's presence piques his curiosity. What kind of business could she have with Thaddeus? He moves closer to investigate.

-A pair of Dragonborn clearly at the lead of the two party-sized packs step up and brandish full blown olde-style long trumpets, announcing that their procession has fully arrived. Thaddeus seems to be soaking in the spectacle and strikes a dapper little pose, while Charlotte is looking over the crowd with careful thought.

: A bronze man wearing braclets/anklets, loincloth and little else stands beside a similarly savage-looking blue woman and the two announce: "Citizens of Ecclesia! The paragons of ORDER and the honor guard of Dragonsblood are here to group with you!" Their parties dissolve and impromptu auditions begin as excited players offer their desired quests and dungeon runs to the intermediary layer of tribesmen!

: A show of altruism? He'd expected it from Charlotte, but, well, he didn't know what to expect from Thaddeus. For some reason he'd gotten the impression that he was a stuck up jerk, but perhaps he was more amicable than he first thought. While he obviously had no need for someone to carry him through a dungeon or quest, he tries to catch Charlotte's attention, and walks up to greet her.

-A keystone kops moment ensues as four of the dragonborn shuffle around and produce a living wall between the two of you, Charlotte's attention drawn towards hearing a plea from a trio of wet-behind-the-ears in entirely unenchanted gear.

: "Hey Hey Hey!"
: "What's all this then!?"
: "You need help with something, big shot?"
: "Aren't you a bit leveled yourself?!"

: "Ah, yes, I could use some help. I seem to be accosted by four buffoons, would you care to get rid of them for me?"

-"Alright!" "You got it!" "Sure thing!" "Of course." The four ... stand at cardinal direction squares around you, then Ready Move actions to Shift to the Diagonals if you go for them. They 180 and face outwards, striking defensive poses. "If we see them, you're safe with us!"

: Ambrose slowly shakes his head, rapidly losing hope in the future of humanity. "Thank you for your kind assistance, but keep your eyes peeled and don't lose focus, I think they're very close," he says, and teleports past the shell of stupid that surrounds him.

: To your horror, you see Charlotte accepting an invitation to join with the newbies, her impressive array of enchantments and legendary gear bleeding away until she resembles a rosie-cheeked paladin freshly knighted by the church, her gear simple and without ornamentation. They'll depart soon...

: Putting some haste behind his steps, he strides up to her group. "Charlotte, it's been a while!"

: Your appearance sets the genuine newbies, who look like a mix of traditional thief, cleric and sorcerer on edge, whispering between themselves with clear anxiety. As the sole Defender in the group, Charlotte turns and takes one step up to distance you from them. Her expression for you is... much cooler than before. "Ambrose..." Her eyes peer around your side, down to your waist-held blade. "The Black Blade himself." Charlotte's voice is cool and reserved, almost difficult to hear. You feel a bit self-conscious and for the first time aware that your own screen-name has been modified by a title: Ambrose <the Black Blade>

: "The Black Blade?..." he says, confused. Had he worn that title ever since he defeated Fenrir? He shakes his head and tries to ignore it. "I was in the area and saw that you're offering to help out newbies, I could come with if you need a fifth?"

: Charlotte raises a hand, palm out to politely stop you. "That won't be necessary. Too many overleveled players would trivialize the content. Thank you for your thoughtfulness."

: "I... see," he replies dejectedly. "I guess I shouldn't keep you any longer, then..." Lifting his eyes from the petite swordmage, he turns his attention to her party and speaks to them. "Come visit my mindscape after you're done, the [Bibliotheca Argentea]. I've got several newbie courses and challenge encounters to help you learn the basics of the game, as well as more advanced topics if you feel ready for them." He shoots Charlotte another glance, then turns around and leaves.

Ambrose: pompppf (Passive Perception Failure)

: You crash into the chest of the towering bronze male herald, who seems to have soundlessly stood behind you the entire time. He beams at you with a jagged mouth of friendly teeth before stepping aside, revealing the dapper Thaddeus waiting to address you!

: "Ho there, Defender! Our journey to secure the treasures of a lost Dwarven city are nearly set to begin! Alas.. we are of the scholarly caste, archaeologists and magi. Would you serve as our guardian?" The nature of the entombed city and it's warring factions of cultists, opportunists and the mass of zombies that we're once the Dwarves is a challenging introduction to Paragon tier.

: While he really had no desire to at the moment, it would be useful to get to know Thaddeus better. It'd be interesting to see him in action too. Hopefully he didn't speak like that all the time... Ambrose nods in assent. "Well met, Thaddeus. I accept. I'll keep you safe with my blade and aegis."

: "Magnificent! We're prepared to depart!" He turns to the Dragonborn who watch him with some reverence despite always looming over him. The little red-white wonder raises his hands and calls for a cheer! "Huzzah!" A resounding HUZZAH follows, reluctantly from the other three players from the wild that are joining you, Thaddeus and the bombshell blue herald. Thaddeus is known as the ultimate DPS theorycrafter in Digital Devil Worlds. You might fight him... he doesn't seem to know you... this could be a good opportunity!

: Good opportunity to curry favor with Thaddeus or no, there was simply no way Ambrose would unironically join in on a huzzah. "Well then, shall we?"

-Your dungeon run goes excellently, yielding 3,000 gold in plunder for your share. Observing Thaddeus is humbling. His alpha strike potential even downscaled is absurd, removing chunks of the enemy forces the second Initiative is met. He also supplements his role as "squishy caster" with masterful shielding and long term flight.

: "It's been a pleasure to see you in action, Thaddeus. Your reputation is well earned." Ambrose says at the conclusion of their foray into the lost Dwarven city. "I'm especially impressed that you managed to not stand in fire, a feat that seems beyond the grasp of ninety percent of the player base. Do you often arrange dungeon runs for the public?"

: Thaddeus' entourage and the pubbies regard you with a mixed reception. For a moment you think the Dragonborn are about to let you have it but Thad raises a talon, interrupting the blitz. "Yes, quite often. It is our sincere belief that those at the top must uplift others."

: Ambrose seems to be utterly unconcerned by the hostility from the Dragonborn, but he makes a mental note to perhaps not speak in a way that could be miscontrued as sarcasm when he did not intend it. "I share that belief, I even dedicated my mindscape to it. But I've gotten the impression that not all of ORDER does?"

: "Well... Some are harsher than others. They lead by example, or set challenges for others that better them. I think ironically, Fenrir's followers are the most impassioned. But there's more to leadership than just doing the correct things and giving orders..." Thaddeus' lizard eyes do a good job of peering entirely to one side of his head.

: The Blue Beauty chimes in. "You're insufferable." The pubbies nod!

: Ambrose folds his arms and regards the blue Dragonborn with an icy glare. "And you're entirely forgettable. But it must be nice to be able to go through life criticizing others while hiding in someone else's shadow." He sighs and relaxes his pose, then turns back to Thaddeus, shaking his head to himself. "I suppose you have a point. But I wonder how Fenrir's followers will react to the news of his loss."

: "See for yourself tomorrow." Thaddeus sets his little fists on his hips and glares up at you. "I read once, a little annecdote. About an editor that wouldn't hire writers who didn't like people. That bias always bled into their work. Your attitude..." He waggles a talon up in your face. "It's the same!" Calling the attention of the other mostly quiet black-scaled shaman, the two Dragonborn kneel and let Thad stand on either one's shoulder, the three turning to address the rest of the Dragonsblood that have returned.

: I said you had a point already, I have need of neither additional lectures nor lame second hand anecdotes. Ambrose grits his teeth as Thaddeus turns away, but refrains from talking back to him out loud. He waits to observe what happens next.

-Seems to be more roleplaying, thanking everybody for their exploits today. Charlotte's group is still out, you feel that you're finished online for the day. You've definitely grown closer to Isabelle, if none of the others in ORDER, and your mind is heavy with thoughts of the changing perceptions wrapping around you... the air is heavy as you consider the whims of fate.

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Fortune arcana...

Your bonus to Saves increases to +2!

-Joining ORDER, being the best, being liked, serving Isabelle or being her partner, the Game and ORDER and the idea that Bishop is in their midst... several contradictory thoughts grab at your attention! Time to call it a night!

: Akio takes off his VR-headset and throws himself down on his bed. He gathers his hands behind his head and stares up at the ceiling, feeling conflicted. He'd never cared about being popular online, only excelling at the game had mattered to him, but it stung when people he looked up to treated him coldly. Where the hell had the 'Black Blade' rep come from? What had Charlotte heard? It was all messed up...

Then there was Thaddeus and his entourage. Insufferable? Well, maybe he was a bit of an elitist, but people that are trash at the game should shut up and pay attention, not cry when told to do better in a group setting where others relied on them. He wanted to actually help them, carrying their dead weight through moderately difficult content would only exacerbate the problem, and make them fat juicy targets for gankers to boot. Maybe that's what Thaddeus was after? No, that didn't seem right...

On to Isabelle... She was dangerous and he definitely couldn't trust her, but he'd caught a glimpse of a different side of her today. It kinda felt like she was the only one of them that understood him, maybe they had more in common than he first thought? Then again...

Ugh, he didn't know what to make of any of it. Time to sleep.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Sunday 5/10, Morning

-It is a good Sunday. The sun is rising high and shining in a sky with white clouds that occasionally pass by and grant cooling shade. The wind blows freely, making the steady climb of the heat pleasant. An ancient meme flashes through your mind at the worst time as you unmistakeably see Takano arrive. Wow! Hot a What Baabhabhiat... ... Wearing a casual summer dress of white make with some new-fashion filgree stylings of subdued silver and gold tones(medieval-core?!) and some classy heeled sandals, Takano's gone the extra mile for elegance and is wearing her long hair in a single braid draped over the shoulder so that it rests about halfway down her torso. She looks pleased to see you and joins you.

: Standing when he sees her, Takashi makes an effort to close the distance to her quickly, lest she have to walk any further, "As always, you never stop surprising me, Takano-san," his smile is in full effect, and he cuts a little bow before offering his arm to her, "I feel underdressed all of a sudden. Shall we go now, or can I buy you a drink first?" Takashi is in no rush, so he can roll with whatever she wants to do.

: Well-flattered, Takano accepts your offer for a drink! "Thank you, women have to work twice as hard at it." She seems to be having a bit of fun, occasionally peering out a window. She catches herself and seems embarrassed enough to explain. "I'm a bit excited to see what this surprise is..."

: "As lovely as you are, we're sure to be mistaken for a princess and her faithful knight," he pulls a chair out for her while he goes to get the drink, using her previous order at Owl Night Long as a baseline to find something she would like. Insight 28 When he returns with the drink in hand, he catches her peering out the window, "I actually got the idea to surprise you from something you said. Our lives are so regimented, everything so neat and ordered, that sometimes we need to let loose... but I won't spoil it just yet," he lets her drink at her pace, but the moment she appears restless or shows any signs of impatience, he'll stand up, offering an arm again, "Shall we, my lady?"

: Your Insight strikes true, zeroing in on the strict life one must lead to actually become the Perfect Senpai. Your grace under pressure and your poignant insight leads to a rare moment of the severe girl looking embarrassed. She uses the drink as time to recoup herself and accepts your invitation with matching bravado. "Please, sir knight."

: With her arm on his, Takashi leads the way, always a perfect gentleman. The cafe's location was carefully chosen to take them past a few shrines, very average and tame fare for a young date, but he never so much as pauses near them. He resolves not to talk about school unless she brings it up, instead making small talk about the city around them, "I hadn't been on this side of Kobe in a long time. It has really grown up over the last few years," he points to the signs of a prosperous town, new shops, well maintained streets, and food everywhere, "but I can't help but worry about the parts that aren't doing so well," the subject is maybe heavier than he intended, but it would make the treat of their destination all the brighter.

: There aren't many students in either school that would have their minds set on as daunting a subject as Civil Service or Poverty Issues. Your own thoughts are born of an altruism largely nurtured. But you didn't have your eyes set on just any student! Takano looks to the shrines thoughtfully. "My family would pass down these streets frequently, before we moved." The change in subject matter brings about a pensive mood shift, the budding Student Council President considering the matter seriously. "My mother has done a great deal of work to better all of the city, Takashi. I hope to continue that."

: Takashi nods along with her, "I know your mother has been a force for good in the city, and I'm glad to hear you share her passion," he smiles and squeezes her hand on his arm, "It has repeatedly struck me in the last few weeks how easy it to get so caught up in our own immediate lives that we forget why we're sharpening ourselves to be the best. My Uncle tries to better the city in his way, but I hope to do better still. I've finally seen that if I want things to change then I need to change them, because no one else will," he raises his fist passionately but then lowers it again to look her in the eyes, "I think maybe just being around someone who understands that has made me see it clearly. Thank you, Takano," the lack of a honorific would be scandalous if his expression weren't so earnest. The conversation proves to be a perfect distraction and palette cleanser because before long the street opens up in front of them into a large amusement complex against Kobe's waterfront. "Surprise," Takashi says quietly, as if sharing a secret.

: Swept up in your passion, she seems pleased to hear your thoughts. As you go for a small gain in intimacy by dropping honorific, Takano grins. "If you're always so serious, it'll work out well. You'll have to meet my mother eventually, right?" She leaves the rest a little ominous mystery as your surprise reveal gets you a delighted hand squeeze. "How fun! Lets go!"

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

5/10, Sunday Music

: It's an irritatingly hot day with the sun rising at full scope, only a few clouds occasionally granting merciful respite from the uninterrupted rays. A little bit after 12 Noon, your phone dings!!!

quote:

Akane: MEET ME HERE NEXT 2 THIS CAFE ITS TIME 4 THE FLOCK 2 FLY! ( ˙Θ˙(˙Θ˙)˙Θ˙ ) !!!

: Noriko arrives shortly after receiving the text, having already gotten ready for their shadow-date in advance. She knew the people she was stalking so she thought she'd better wear a disguise... She was embarassed being out of the house looking like... a normie but at least she was inconspicuous. Wearing a shoulderless white dress and pulling her hair up in a polka-dot ribbon, she did her best to swallow her self-loathing before approaching Akane. (Art) This could be worth it! "i'm here." she declares flatly. after a moment, a cawwww from one of the rooftops prompts her to correct herself. "...we're here."

: She's had you meet her near a nice looking cafe but the two of you are waiting about half a block away, within line of sight of it and a large carnival yet still outside of range of being casually spotted, meeting at a cozy little bench and park section lovingly preserved in the heart of the busy city. You feel as though you have a lot to learn from Akane, who shows up wearing black jeans short-shorts and what might be one of the finest retro-irony shirts you've ever seen. "Hey Noriiii!"

: "...Akane." Noriko gives her a serious look. "You're conspicuous!" Noriko stands up at once, dramatically straightening her skirt! "all this effort! sunlight on my shoulders. i'll never forgive you..."

: Akane is utterly surprised! "Ehhh? I'm dressing normally!" She immediately reaches forward and pinches both of your cheeks. "Look at you! You're so cute you'll draw a crowd! JEEZ!"

: Ah! The pinching! Noriko tears up! "waaaaah~! Akane! we were supposed to be blending in with the crowd!"

: She lets go and gestures towards the cafe as Takano and Takashi leave holding hands and head up the street. Akane looks to you and grins wickedly! "The chase is afoot."

: Noriko rubs her cheeks and frowns! Seeing their targets on the move, she doesn't have time to pout! "we'd better keep up with them, but try to keep a safe distance. i don't think your sister will have a hard time knowing it's you..."

: "Just give me an illusion, that should do the trick." Akane does keep her distance, the two of you walking on the opposite street and quite far back. She peers to you with a mischievous grin, a bit of awe in her eyes.

: Noriko looks offended! "...I can't just poof somebody into someone else! That's not how magic works!" she crosses her arms. "...and i don't know that particular spell. if she looks over this way we'll just have to think of another distraction."

: "Ehhh.. why be a witch if you can't do that?" She giggles and pats you on the shoulder. Watching the two walk, she gives you a fierce little whisper! "They're hanging all over each other, they won't look around!"

: "Well, I can change myself. Changing the appearance of other people is a bit too specialized for me..." she shrugs. "and you're right... they're shameless! if we need to get up close i can just send Crowley in, Takashi doesn't know him yet so he'll just look like the rest of the trash birds..."

: Fluttering by some of the nice shrines in the area, Crowley and his comrades are shooed away by a sanitation worker with a broom! Akane laughs a bit and then suddenly grips your shoulder, gesturing to you to halt. Takashi and Takano have stopped briefly and appear to be... absorbed in deep conversation?

: Noriko flags down her bird and gestures towards Takashi and Takano, leading the bird to creep over to their vicinity, ostensibly chasing after a fat little beetle, his ear crooked towards the couple all the while

: You overhear a conversation(takashi-scenes channel) that could only occur between two future high society types bouncing their Type A personalities off one another! As you follow the two one they resume moving, you hear Akane getting excited as the amusement park comes into view! She peers over to you and grins from ear to ear. "Lets go!" ... "A-After they do, of course."

: A-an amusement park! Her hairs stand up on end!!!! She glances over at her bare shoulder nervously, before taking some time to hurriedly apply some high SPF sunscreen from a tube in her purse. Taking a deep breath, she clenches her fist and strides forward. As before, Crowley hops along, as they go, this time staying on the periphery of Takano and Takashi. "hrmm... they're talking politics...? heh. weird date conversation..." she thinks about it for a second and smirks. "i bet that's exactly the kind of thing that gets takano going, though, isn't it?"

: Akane gestures to you to share the sunscreen and gives herself a quick once over. "She's really high-minded. I guess that's what it's like when they're young? Uhm, important people, leaders and stuff.." Once Takashi and Takano have well entered the park and joined the crowd, Akane beckons you over to get tickets with her, covering your cost. "What do we ride first!?"

: Noriko looks a little unnerved. "Um... i haven't been to an amusement park since... um. I-in a long time. i'm not really sure..."

: Akane seizes your hand and drags you according to her whims, then. "We'll just ride them all once!"

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 12, 2018

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: Being able to skip the ticket lines proves to be a real boon, a triumph of foresight, as Takashi leads Takano past a group of waiting patrons directly to the entrance turnstiles. The seaside amusement park opens up before them, almost too many options available, but Takashi knows exactly where he wants to start them. Leading her towards the water's edge, he veers for the swing ride, set up to dangle patrons over the Osaka Bay with each rotation! A vivid sign proclaims "The Windseeker" as they enter the short line. “I always loved this one, and I thought you might too," he says as they wait behind the next group. A few moments later, they are strapped in to one of the few tandem seats (with a rig to allow ladies to maintain their modesty) and away, swinging over the beautiful bay.

: Even several of your guy pals would be nervous or anxious about getting onto any of the larger rides at a park, roller coasters or things that spin and twirl and rotate and the like. Fearlessness is refreshing and Takano joins you with giddy eagerness, the two of you enjoying a day together where neither has to be "On." After many swings over the bay the ride comes to a halt and guests are let off, your date seizing your arm and urging you out at a quick pace. "That was wonderful!" Immediately she points ahead, eyeing a roller coaster.

: Letting her lead the way, they get into line for a ride called the "Meccha," a local word for 'extremely' and the coaster does not disappoint; a thrilling steel rollercoaster that used to be the fastest in the world, the car begins in a dark room. As it takes off, a bombastic countdown warns before bursting back into the sunlight for a near 90 degree climb and drop! If it were not for the speed, the ride would offer a great view of the park below. Takashi holds Takano's hand as they soar above everything.

: Coming off the coaster, most are shaken and need some time to recover. Looking freshly relaxed, Takano pumps your hand and grins. "Are you hungry? I could go for something.."

: "Yeah, let's grab something," once again, Takashi's forethought pays off, leading them to a little food truck located on the Harborland grounds. The menu isn't deep, but it offers enough variety to please most, and the staff are friendly. Using the food tickets he bought earlier, Takashi pays for whatever Takano wants, grabbing himself a skewer of meats and veggies with a frosty lemon drink to wash it down, and then leads the way to a bench and table setup that lets them sit next to each other, but still have a dining surface. Despite his hunger, he keeps his dignity and doesn't make a mess of himself, taking breaks to sip on the lemon beverage, and napkin his face "I didn't expect you to be the rollercoaster type, but once again, you keep surprising me. A boy could get used to this," he smiles at her.

: With a fervor reserved for cheat days your date tucks into the meal with some small loss of dignity. Pausing to clean her face she seems to effortlessly reclaim it, smiling at you. "Nothing ventured, no fun had. You have no idea how nice this is. I've been studying all week.. and then tutoring it to everyone else! I see those books in my sleep..." She brushes her hair aside from the front of her face and takes another big bite.

: "Yeah, I can imagine. None of that here, my lady. This is a book free zone. Only fun, knight's orders," he takes another few bites of his meal and washes it down, looking around for their next ride, eyeballing something a lot like a merry-go-round, only faster.

: "You can imagine? How much have you studied, Takashi?" Finishing her food, Takano isn't in a rush to get moving quite yet. She cleans the leftover trash from the two of you before you can think to do so, exercising a bit of hyper-attentiveness. She sits back down and settles in, watching you with a bit of curiosity and reserved impishness.

: Nearby, a patron gets up to use the bathroom; Shortly after, a crow hops onto the table to dig into their lonely french fries.

: "A lot actually," his smile strays into ironic, "I know I put on a good show, but I'm not the smartest guy in my class. I have to work twice as hard to go half as far when it comes to my studies. And I do. Because I know that my athletics aren't always going to be enough," he thanks her for clearing the food with a brighter smile and a nod, "But I also know I can't change the world if I don't understand it."

: You wonder if one couldn't make cat faces illegal. At least Takano's little curious looks are much more subdued than her sister's. "At least you're smart enough to know it." She laces her fingers together and sits casually, but you get the feeling it is business casual. Has this become an interview? "Change the world? Hmm.. Takashi, do you..." She bats her eyelashes for a moment. "Have a five year plan?"

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: Noriko feels her blood run cold! If it was anyone else she would dig in her heels and reject, but she doesn't want to look bad in front of Akane! Letting herself get dragged along, Noriko crams down her anxiety as best as she can

: After some waiting in line and a quick shared drink, Akane settles on your first ornerous task, a nightmarish swinging pair spinning device set inside a rotating half curve of brightly flashing electronica! It's like some sort of colossal space-man half pipe...

: "uhhh..." Noriko tries to hide her trembling. I can do this... she thinks, settling into the seat. this is safe, it is designed to be safe.

: Akane grips your hand and laces your fingers between hers, giving you a reassuring squeeze and a fresh smile! "Ready?!"

: Noriko nods warily and squeaks in affirmation.

: The ride starts and the two of you are sent sailing to-and-fro, wildly spinning. Your friend spends most of the ride laughing and cheering.

: At the start Noriko feels herself getting into it, but at the first real lurch in the ride the sensation of being jerked against the side of her seat is just too much. Instantly stuck in a cascade of rumination, she finds herself fixating on the memories of the accident, reliving the sensation of being tossed around the car, being hurled through the air... the worst part of it was the anticipation, she hardly remembered the pain. By the end of the ride she is gripping white knuckle onto the handgrips in her seat, pale as a ghost, cheeks stained with tears. Panting hard, after a moment she seems to catch herself freaking out and scrambles to regain her composure. "...h..heh.... th-that s-s-sure was s-somethin'"

: As everything slows down to a gradual stop, Akane goes from beaming to a look of strong concern. "It was! ... Ah.. Noriko, are you feeling sick?"

: Noriko looks over at Akane, wide eyed and grim faced. She forces a smile. "everything's fine. let's continue"

: Peering eye to eye, you feel a pulse of something. Akane remains concerned, coming a bit closer. "Are you sure? I'll feel bad if I make you sick!"

: "ah!... Akane..." Noriko blushes as she feels her heart... go doki-doki. uh-oh! Noriko leaps out of the chair as soon as the ride opens up. "y-yes! thank you! let's continue!"

: Akane hmmmms loudly before deciding all is well, taking you by the hand at a casual walk towards a new ride. Seems to be a much more relaxing yet still thrilling swinger. No sudden stops or impacts. "Is this one good?"

: Noriko nods. how could this one be worse? i've got to pull it together! "yes! this should be fine!"

: Well.. time to put your stomach and trauma to the test. You're brought aboard, strapped in and can see Akane getting as excited as the kids. Soon the ride starts, taking you on a wild sweep through the wind by the bay.

: The smell of sea air! The rush of wind! These were pleasant sensations on their own but combined they invoke some bad memories! The ride is unpleasant, and she can't stop drifting towards dark places. Still, it's a leg up on the last one! They finish with her feeling mildly agitated, but keeping it together at the end!

: Akane pays extra close attention to you again after the ride. Satisfied, she shares a wicked grin and points over your shoulder. "Can you handle that one?" Meccha! The most extreme roller coaster on the island!

: Noriko looks at the rollercoaster with a thousand yard stare, the sound of sirens wailing in her head. looking over at Akane, she slowly nods.

: (Bluff 18 Noriko) She laughs so hard she has to hold her stomach, pausing to wipe her eyes. "Oh my God, Noriko! You'd totally die if we went on that!" She waggles a finger at you. "The great Akane will go easy on you this time, so lets get something to eat, OK?"

: Noriko lets out a sigh of relief. "...thank you, Akane. i will never forget this." she nods. "sounds good to me."

: "Hmmmm, why're you trying so hard anyway?" You both get in line for some good and trashy fair food.

: Noriko winces at the question. After a thoughtful moment, she mumbles a response. "...i used to like amusement parks... i haven't been able to do this since the accident. i'm not very brave, but with my friends... with Akane... i feel like i can get over my fears. so i want to try... even if it's really hard. so... um. thank you."

: Akane pays close attention to you as you speak, pausing only to order food and receive it. As the two of you sit down she reaches across the table and pats your hand.. pushing it towards your drink before your food. "Ehh, don't worry Noriko! I wouldn't be mad even if you had an accident, lots of people get motion sick, you know?" She shares a winning smile with you for the little bit of heartfelt emotion, her face turning a bit red, though it is very bright and sunny at the moment. "It's nothing, it's nothing! Besides, you're the coolest person I know!" She leans forward a bit and tries to maintain a conspiratorial coolness despite her face being a bit messy. "You're the only witch I know... speaking of which, uhm.. we havn't seen those two for awhile. Is Crowley around?"

: Uncharacteristically, Noriko downs her drink in one pull, letting out a satisfied gasp as she finishes. "ahhhh.... i needed that really bad!" After thinking about it for a minute, she suddenly looks surprised. "ah! i forgot why we were here!!" Shaking her head, she concentrates for a moment. "...hold on... ah. um. he's eating somebody's fries!"

: Akane laughs! "Crowley rules! Can he uhm, spy on them? Or point them out?"

: "mm-hmm... i can hear anything he hears if i try hard enough... i can even make him talk, but i don't want to give us away!"

: Akane looks awe-struck. "Can.. can you focus on where he is? Once you find them!"

: Noriko nods. "he's over there." Noriko points off in the direction she can sense Crowley from. "i'm gonna tune in now..." Noriko is listening intently!

: Akane listens intently to you! "What're they saying!?"

: Noriko wrinkles her nose disdainfully. "...it's going like an entrance interview. he's going over his flaws and strengths and she's asking for his plans for the future. i'm expecting salary negotiations next..." Taking on a haughty undertone to her voice, she pantomime's Takano's gestures. "Takashi, do you..." she starts, batting her eyelashes. "Have a five year plan?"

: Somehow this is the funniest thing Akane has ever heard, as she breaks up into repeated giggling fits. "Oh my god!" She pats Noriko on the shoulder, cracking up. "Prefect! Oh my god! You should've heard it when our mom said that.."

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: He gives her a quizzical expression, "Not as such, no. I set goals and I achieve them. Then I set more. I've never really sat down and written them out," he gestures broadly, encompassing the park, maybe the city, "Some of my immediate goals are to be a stronger student, distinguish myself in athletics, and," a pause, "...and take a bigger stake in my family's affairs, but that's newer," his eyes focus on hers again, "among other less grand aims."

: Hmmmmm... she looks a bit disappointed but swiftly mollifies it, her expression softening. "Don't you think being a distinguished athlete might require intense focus for years at a time? Or a scholar..." She tilts her head and returns the eye to eye look, feigning some outrage. "Less grand?"

: Takashi laughs at her expression, but its a playful laugh, "I said some of my goals. You don't really think winning the hand of a fair maiden is a less grand affair do you?" he looks off into the middle distance, thinking he's spotted some people he knows, "And sure being a distinguished athlete takes time, probably years. That doesn't mean I have to write that down to know its where I'm aimed. I'm a doer, Takano, I set my sights on something then I go get it. And if the going gets tough, I get tougher," he looks back towards her, "I suppose having a good planner in my life wouldn't be a bad thing, though, if you know of one," he winks at her.

: The genuine compliment school of flattery always works well but concern floats across her face. "I know what you're like Takashi, but my mother expects a bit more.. stability in a boy. She might dismiss you if you're not serious."

: "If your mother's approval of me is important to you," his expression is serious, "then its important to me," he rests his hand on top of hers, "and you know I take your advice seriously," a light squeeze.

: "Takashi, you'll always be a good friend..."

Noriko: Crowley fidgets. Can you really witness two executions in one month!?

: Takano continues, gripping Takashi's hand and lacing her fingers with his. "But I wonder how serious you are.."

(CONTINUED)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

: Akane leans in and whispers impatiently: "What else!?"

: "ehh... takashi sure lays it on thick..." engrossed, Noriko hardly seems to notice Akane at first, until she snaps up. "ohhhhhh!!!! she just said the words 'you'll always be a good friend'! this isn't good! he's about to hit a failure flag on Takano's route!!!"

: Akane cracks up laughing, practically guffawing. "Hahahahahahahahaa!!!" She wipes her eyes. "Oh my goddddd!!! That's my sister! She can't be smooth talked by just any toolbox!" She shares a little conspiratorial monkey giggle with you. "Shishishi... She's got her entire life planned already. She's only got eyes for a guy as good as she is, so I bet ol' blowhard Takashi goes down swinging soon.."

: "ufufufu... i thought he had staying power! one more mistake and he's going to blow out. he'll never make it to 'Tokyo U' now! oh! he's wheeling around! now he's telling her he wants to prove he's serious...!!!" Noriko clenches her fists. "He's walking right into a trap...! She's asking him to commit!"

: Akane sets her hands on the table and extends one finger, set flat. She raises her other hand, held out flat and straight as a mock guillotine blade. She slowly whispers "ka-sshhhhhhh" as she brings her hand down to "execute" the prone finger.

---

: His heart stings when she says friend, but her fingers help pull some of it away, "Ouch, only a friend?" he looks wounded, "But you don't think I'm serious, so I suppose even your friends have to meet with your mother's approval," he squeezes her hand back, "you should know by now that you're more than special to me, my lady Takano. And until a moment ago I thought I was more than a friend to you," he frowns slightly, "so what will it take to prove to you that I'm serious?"

: "This is our second date.. I enjoyed the kiss last time.. but I can't shake a certain feeling.." Although you definitely hear a familiar laugh that is quite a bit closer than you'd expect, even that is drowned out by a rapid flooding of visual static. No longer are you sitting across from a teenage girl but you are attendent before a looming Empress, the avatar of matriarchal authority presiding in her gown of silver and gold, a matching scepter resting in her lap! "I have to.. live, in a certain way. I'm only interested in a boy who can accept that.. I, uhm, don't really have time for fooling around.." She looks a bit embarrassed but speaking solemnly still comes naturally. "If you're serious, why don't you say so?" A reverse kokuhaku situation! The demand of the Empress! Depending on how you answer... is she a saint, or a Bloody Mary?! Judgement could be made at any moment! The strange situation melts away and reality asserts itself, your potential girlfriend still holding your hand and waiting for your reply.

: Takashi keeps his expression very controlled, perhaps even bordering on empty as she talks, "A certain way..." he repeats when she is finished, "you think... you think this is fooling around to me?" perhaps a note of indignation, "I just go out of my way to make a special day for... but okay, you want me to just come out and say it," he shakes his head a bit, "Okay. So be it." He unwinds his fingers from hers, standing, "Takano, I... ... will not be dictated to. I will not be steered. I am not a windup toy for you to set upon a path of your making. You sit there and you doubt me when I have done nothing by demonstrate the contents of my heart," he lets out a hot, angry breath through his nostrils, "I'm going to walk home now. If you decide that you want someone in your life that gets you, and the pressure of being who we are, come find me. If you don't, then I will see you at practice, senpai," he does not fill the title with overt emotion. He makes good on his words and begins walking out of the park.

Takashi: ... You head home without further contact, bringing an early end to your date.

---

: Noriko freezes. "wh-wh-wh-whaaaaaaaaaat?!" Noriko turns to Akane. "...um. i think... takashi just dumped takano?"

: Akane: "WHAT!?"

: "he went on some spiel about not being controlled... um. do you think we should get out of here?" Noriko looks a little concerned. i feel like it would be bad for your sister to find us right now..."

: Completely blowing cover Akane stands up to look around to get her own view of her sister's reaction! It's like she didn't hear you or doesn't care! Takano is finishing her meal without any real loss of character.. did.. did she not hear it? Or care?

: "um. Akane? what do you want to do?"

: Akane whips around to face you and looks incensed! Er, for her! Truly, comically, absolutely upset! "I.. I want to talk to her, of course!"

: Noriko nods. "i understand, but... do you want her to know we were spying on her this whole time?"

: "I don't care!" She heads off on a direct contact route!

: Crowley moves to intercept! Hopping up onto a table in front of Akane, the crow proclaims. "...you're on your own kid. good luck!"
Noriko scrams! Sorry Aaaaaaakaaaaaaaaaane~

: The crow beckoning to Akane causes her to leap back, almost a clear foot off the ground! Her face is a mixture of fear and awe, the latter overtaking the first quickly. Crowley transmits to you a muttered "..sooo cool..." .. And he transmits Akane turning around and reversing course, accelerating after you!

: With his mission complete, Crowley snaps up somebody's yakitori and flies off into the sunset.

: Between the two, Takano is the obvious athlete, with a toned body the product of rigorous exercise and discipline. Akane's love of sweets and lackadaisical attitude suggested to you she would be an opposite... but clearly the two must work together a bit because before you know it Akane has caught up to you and grabs your arm! "Heeeeey! What're you doing?!"

: Noriko looks grim-faced at Akane, the thousand-yard stare of a war veteran! "trying to avoid being murdered."

: Akane looks utterly confused, then laughs. "She won't be that mad, come on! Besides, you're my alibi! We came to the park to have fun, right? And just uhm, happened to.. see her? Yeah!" Manami's tale of Takano's fury is only a week old in your mind. You haven't asked either Hattori about it, only knowing Manami's side of things, the origin of the scar under her eye...

: Noriko takes a deep breath, thinking back to the fate of Nakamura Manami. She considers asking, here and now, but thinks better of it. no. she got between them. that's the worst thing i could do right now. "i put my safety in your hands, akane" she bows. "please take responsibility."

: Akane leads you back with her but the two of you are met early by Takano, who has zeroed in on the two of you. She seems to be happy to see you two, though!

: Takano: "Akane! And.. Noriko? What a pleasant surprise."

: Akane drapes an arm over your shoulders and beams. "Yeah! We thought we'd have a fun day before the exams!"

: Noriko nods. "yeah, hehe, i've been pretty stressed..."

: Takano reads you both sharply for a moment.. but smiles warmly. "What a wonderful idea.. I had a date who felt the same way.."

: "ohhhhhh? how'd that go?" (harsh jump cut back to cell phone logs of Noriko and Akane's earlier conversation, harsh jump cut forward to a police offier dropping a blood-stained cell phone in a baggie marked 'evidence')

: Takano smiles sincerely. "I guess he wasn't the one for me. He just left."

: Akane gawks a bit and then hugs her sister! "Aww!" Takano smiles and pats Akane on the back, the younger sister seeming to take it worse then the elder..

: Noriko is relieved that Takano isn't the emotional type, but she still feels like she needs to tread carefully here. "...i'm sorry it didn't work out. if you have any desire to place a curse on him, we have literature in our club office." she finds herself blurting out the offer in some feverish moment of improvisation

: Takano dead-pans. "That won't be necessary."

: Akane finishes the hug and beams at her sister. "Why don't we have fun together, hmm?" You get the feeling you may be enduring another ride shortly..

: Noriko resigns herself to the ride. She feels like she just evaded an oncoming train with fractions of a second to spare. How could any amusement park ride compare to such terror?

: As the three of you head to the next ride, Takano asks Akane: "... Were you yelling at a crow, earlier?"

: "He started it!"

Thou shalt have the blessing of the Priestess arcana...

Although the bond with the Empress remains stationary, Akane and Noriko grow closer and the bonus to Support Persona of the Priestess arcana grows to +3 Attack/Damage/Healing!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Week Before (5/2 to 5/10)

All: The intense need to study is inevitable, yielding +2 Academics. Your parents, your teachers, your friends... everybody pushes you to hit the books! Rumors of your presence at Nekketsu on Friday grant +1 Charm as well.

Akio: You gain an additional +1 Courage and +1 Charm through your club activities. Your family's intrusions during your date with Noriko lead to a bit more focus on self-image and an additional +1 Charm. Your prowess during Karate seems to be growing past the point of continually bringing your back to the canvas, and combined with your usually hidden natural build you're becoming a bit.. less than soft? Kunio compliments your new "aura as a man" at some point but seems unusually distracted, almost... down?

: "... Hmm? Sorry, I've got a lot on my mind."

Itsumi: You gain an additional +1 Charm and Academics through your club activities. You also gain an additional +1 Courage as you introduce Ryo and Madoka to one another and the friendly snoop already seems poised to strike later. The three of you agree to coordinate something after mid-terms, the extra course load causing Ichiro to back off of you for just a bit. You have a tentative ally in Chizuru, another girl Ichiro has worked with, but you get the feeling she'll disappear if your approach is weak.

: "Just focus on the tests for now. I got a great idea for afterwards!"

Noriko: You gain an additional +1 Courage and +1 Charm through your club activities. Ruiko's advice and encouragement restore some of your buried fashion sense, granting a further +1 Charm. You find the Occult Studies club to be a bit unusually vexing as you're forced to be the center of attention and the lead speaker for hours at a time. There seems to be a few very interested students!

: Or maybe the two that actually attend after the first week, leaving the group make-up as Akio, Noriko and the two interested first years, Eikoh and Fransisca. A morbid boy and a foreign girl...

Takashi: You gain an additional +1 Courage and +1 Academics through your club activities. You gain a further +1 Charm as random, misplaced rumors circulate about the unusually curt treatment you and Takano share in the following week... though you find that you're a bit less distracted in some aspects and get a compliment from Mister Adachi, the teacher in charge of the Mathematics Club.

: "Hey, Takashi! That mock-up was perfect! You've got a laser focus, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, yeah? Good luck next week!" The affable and almost-stylish older man has an easy going style with a sharp, results-oriented edge. Almost strikes you as Matsubara's mirror.

Tsukiyo: You gain an additional +1 Courage through your club activities. Your reputation explodes after the events at Nekketsu, granting a further +2 Courage and Charm! Throughout the entire week Genjuro doesn't stop by the house once, though his pal Shou does to pick up some of his things.

: "Ahh, sorry, Tsukiyo. He said he needed a place to stay that wasn't here anymore and.. uh, he won't really talk about it!" He rubs the back of his head and apologizes too many times before departing. Grandmother just seems pleased Genjuro finally did anything, though you catch the concern coming through occasionally. There's stubborn pride to spare in this family!

---

And then it is upon you... the big test in the middle of May!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Week Of(5/11 to 5/16) Music

Mid-terms are upon you.

quote:

Academics
Akio: Rank 3 (Int +6)
Itsumi: Rank 2 (Wis +4)
Noriko: Rank 2 (Int +6)
Takashi: Rank 3 (Wis +3)
Tsukiyo: Rank 2 (Int/Wis +0)

However! There's more to Academics than simply glaring at text until it commits to memory! This helps a lot but natural intuitiveness... a good flow of energy in the body... and a bit of luck matter all the same! On Thursday(5/14) the results of the grueling three day test is posted!

quote:

1) Ito, Hideaki
2) Kasaya, Itsumi
3) Yamamura, Akio
4) Hattori, Akane
5) Kurokawa, Takashi
6) Taniguchi, Mutsumi
7) Mori, Noriko
8) Dumont, Fransisca
9) Mitsugu, Ryuka
10) Ono, Hiroko

... 11) Nishiyama, Goro

... 13) Tanaka, Eikoh

... 22) Bedford, Felix

... 39) Fujiwara, Miho

... 51) Chavez, Tsukiyo

... 71) Hachisuka, Kane

... 78) Tatsumi, Sato

... 81) Nakamura, Manami

... 99) Kusumoto, Madoka

... Of 112.

(Sato, Felix and Ryuka were former PCs still friendly with the party, Hideaki is the Hermit Social Link, Fransisca and Eikoh are the two mentioned in the last post in the Occult club and Hiroko and Mutsumi are Ryuka's two moons. I may also adjust names later since I'm posting this under a small time constraint ;) )

Itsumi is #2 in the entire class! The eternally cheerful, hard-working girl on Student Council and Cheer Squad is a powerful scholar to boot?! The class can hardly stand this surprise and cheerful words of praise and excited rumors rapidly spread, granting an additional +1 Charm! Everybody else does admirably compared to their own standards, Takashi in particular earning an additional +1 Academics as he conquers some personal barrier, a goal set and met!

---

Thursday, 5/14

For now your entire class is enjoying the lunch period. Perhaps you could congratulate one another, or socialize a bit!

(Will continue advancing the week and post the lead-in to the next week, the task Isabelle asked of Akio, and other stuff later.)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 22, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tsukiyo

F-Fifty-oneth! It seems that playing DDW and going to the "other world" with everyone else really left her with not enough time to study... Uwaaaah, is she going to end up like Brother?! Pure despair grasps Tsuki's mind as she slumps on her chair during lunchtime, a gloomy air around her....

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Mid-terms

Noriko had tried to put off feeling anything about mid-terms as long as possible, so when they were finally upon her all she could feel was... overwhelmed. Anxious and stressed out, the exams go by in a blur, and in the end she wasn't sure if she was going to pass.

When the results are posted, she hesitates on the edge of the group for a bit before pushing her way through the crowd...

Noriko // Last Year, Osaka

Edging past her peers and trying to avoid making eye contact with anybody, Noriko parked herself at the edge of the board and searched for her name. She had to keep re-reading the list, over and over again, until she finally noticed it. When she saw it, her heart sunk.

105. Mori, Noriko.

Out of 106.

Noriko // Mid-Terms

Starting at the bottom, Noriko scans her way up, bracing herself for the worst. Repeatedly, she stops and starts over again, worried she'd missed it in her haste. Scanning her way up and seeing her friends names popping up, she begins to wonder if they'd bothered to score her at all. Then, just as she starts to get discouraged, she finally sees it:

7. Mori, Noriko

Stunned, she reaches up to the paper and presses her fingers on the ink, as if to make sure it wasn't some sort of trick. Feeling overwhelmed with emotion, she looks for a quiet, out of the way place and just begins to cry.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 13, 2018

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Itsumi starts from the top of the list and is only slightly disappointed to see her name second. Still, she radiates an enormous smile, grinning ear to ear, and nothing is going to bring her down! Except... she notices Noriko slink off into the corner. She follows her, concerned that she is upset for not having placed higher (as she transferred in, she has no way of knowing that Noriko placed so low last year--all she has known of Noriko is academic success). Her expression turns into a soft frown as she sees her crying. She cautiously approaches her and softly says to her in a calm, soothing voice (as opposed to her normally peppy, upbeat tone), putting her arm around her if she'll let her, "It's ok, Nori-chan. You still did great. There's nothing at all wrong with a top 10 finish in the class, especially out of 112 people. Universities won't frown on that at all."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Mid-terms

Not expecting company, Noriko jumps a little bit when Itsumi makes herself known. Hastily wiping off the tears, she looks a bit flush with embarassment. "heh... thanks." she smiles, still a bit bleary eyed. "i'm not sad, though! I just... um." she realizes mentioning the prior year would give herself away. Deep in thought for a moment, she thinks hard about who she's talking to. "...can you keep a secret?"

Once Itsumi gives an affirmative answer, Noriko takes her student ID out, taking a moment to remove it from the slightly sticker-encrusted dust cover it's attached to. Without the birthdate (13th November, 2009) covered up, it's easy to tell she's a year older than most of the rest of the class. Looking pensive, Noriko explains. "um... the last couple of years were... really bad for me. i don't want to get too much into it, but... this is my second first year of high school. last year... last year, the only person in my class who did worse than me got caught cheating." she mumbles with a frown.

"so... so just passing at all is good news for me. i couldn't even imagine being near the top of the class. i'm just so happy did well, i had to step away for a bit... my mom was so disappointed and hurt last time. i didn't want to do that to her again." she smiles, still a little teary. "...i know i usually do really well on tests, but... for some reason i was just expecting the worst, again."

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 14, 2018

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Mid-terms

Akio walks up to the bulletin board with leaden feet and a general feeling of nausea. He'd been dreading this very moment ever since last Sunday, and he'd been so nervous that it kept him up at night. The little sleep he had gotten had been marred by dreams and nightmares which did little to boost his confidence. The most disturbing dream was probably the one where a Charlotte with Hanae's voice had been judging him, holding up his test scores and loudly proclaiming that he was a bad defender for all to hear, causing everyone he knew to abandon him...

Tired and skittish, his eyes jump up and down the list as he searches for his name. He winces as he sees that he's not on top, and leaps down several names at a time, still unable to find his. Starting to get frightened, he looks at the bottom of the list. No, not there either. Up again. There's Felix. 22nd, that's decent. But, uhhh... There! Third place? That's okay! That's fine! "Alright!" He pumps his fist, feeling a surge of energy. Phew. What a relief! How had the others done? He starts from the top of the list and actually processes the names this time, and what he finds surprises him. Itsumi had beaten him and taken second place? And Takashi had done really well too? He smiles as he spots Noriko's great score, but as he turns around to share a moment of celebration with her he can't find her anywhere...

Frowning, he looks back at the board. Felix had done rather well, but what about the rest of the Karate Club? Searching... Searching... Yep, sure are lots of names on this list... Ah, Kane. 70th place. Ouch... But while he felt sad for his friend, his face drained of all its color when he finally saw where Madoka ended up. Ninety-ninth!? Oh no... She only just barely avoided ending up in the triple digits, that's horrible! He'd better go find her and see how she was holding up.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

"That must have been really hard to deal with, Nori, and I totally understand not wanting to go into it, but if you ever want to, I'll always be here to listen." She gives Noriko a big, friendly hug as her soft frown turns into her characteristic smile once again. "I'm so glad you were able to make it through everything though, and even more glad that you did so well on this test! I just know your mom will just be so proud of you for this!"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Mid-terms

"ah!" she yelps, going rigid as she's hugged. "um... thanks." she says with a smile as she takes a step back to put a little distance between them. "i appreciate it! um... i didn't see your name below mine. how did yours go?"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Itsumi pauses for a beat, thinking of how best to respond. She finally answers with a delayed smile, "Oh, um... they went really well! I um... I got second! Thanks for asking!"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Noriko // Mid-terms

"uwaaaa!! second, really?" Noriko says with a bit of surprise. "that's really great, Itsumi! you must have worked really hard..." She says with a thoughtful nod. After a moment something seems to sparkle in her eyes. "...i wonder who else is in the way for finals...?" she glances back off in the direction of the exam board.

After a moment, she turns back to Itsumi and smiles. "thanks again. maybe we can hang out or study together or something sometime? um... just let me know, ok?"

Noriko heads back out to check the board and meet up with everyone else.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Thursday, May 14 - Postmortem Midterms - (#stressfree #stillalive)

Letting his classmates crowd in around the posting, Takashi patiently waits for his turn; a few butterflies flutter in his belly but none of that shows on his face, which remains smilingly confident and approachable as always.

When he is able he gets close enough to scan the list he begins reading the names mentally, "Hideaki, Itsumi, way to go Sumi-chan, Akio, heh no surprise, Akane, huh okay," before coming to his own name which he says in a quiet voice, "Number 5," and his confident smile grows tenfold. He had done it, he had worked so hard and it had paid off. Even after as much had begun to change, beating his own expectations felt good and he had to share that with his classmates.

Itsumi and Noriko talk quietly, and he doesn't want to intrude, and Akio looks miserable... why? Stepping up behind the other boy, Takashi claps Akio's shoulder, "Hey man, we did it! And Nori-chan too!" hand still on the other boy, he shakes Akio in camaraderie, "Congrats!"

Making the rounds, congratulating or commiserating with classmates, Takashi will eventually catch Itsumi to congratulate her personally, "Sumi-chan!" he sweeps her up into a hug in plain sight, uncaring about the rumor mill, "congratulations on second; you must have worked really hard," he continues smiling at her, "maybe I should study with you next time?"

pre:
Updated IRL Stats
Rank 3 Academics   [13/17] [+3 Int/Wis Skills]
Rank 3 Charm       [10/17] [+3 Dex/Cha Skills]
Rank 2 Courage     [08/10] [+2 Str/Con Skills]

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Itsumi immediately responds to Noriko's suggestion, "Of course! That sounds great!" she says. "Let me know when would be good for you and we can figure out what to do! Maybe we can take a break from studying and do something else first since midterms are finally over?"

---

When Takashi approaches she gives him a bright smile and returns his hug with a great one of her own! "Thanks! And I see you got fifth! Congratulations!! I wouldn't mind studying with you at all!"

---

Itsumi then goes to find Madoka, to see if she needs comforting, but sees Akio already there, and so hangs back...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

School, Lunch
Thursday, 5/14

Akio: You catch a completely nonchalant Madoka mid-bite of a little convenience store sandwich, looking utterly surprised that anything special has happened today.

: "... Ehh? Did I do bad, Akio?" She chews and swallows before chuckling a little. "Well, I'll just do better next time, alright? That's all it'll take! There's still the rest of the year! Yeah!" Oh! She psyches herself up a little before taking a self-congratulatory sip of water! "Hmm hmm hmm.. heh.. so, how'd you do?"

Itsumi, Noriko: Two familiar faces round the corner, leaving the lunch room. They've already seen their scores, but...

: "This is very unnerving..." The top of the class, Hideaki! You must have really cleared his head after Other School!

: "Stare." Akane says the word out loud as she follows half a step behind Hideaki, glaring a hole into the back of his head. She stops and swivels to greet Noriko, putting on a great smile. "Noriko! How'd you do!? I hope you did well! I tell you, there are truly horrible people in this world, monsters who will stop at nothing to get ahead..." She peers over to Itsumi and flutters her eyelashes. "Kasaya, you.. you.. well done! At least you're honest, unlike all these awful sneaky boys!"

Takashi: Your friends touch base with you. You also feel a cheeky glance on you at some point but can only see a turning head of short black hair swiveling to avoid meeting your eyes.

: "Oh, well done, Takashi! I heard you were cramming in math club, it really paid off, eh?" Your new pal Jun and...

: "What the hell, Takashi!" Your old pal, Masami. "You went this far and... you... didn't even look back! Look! Look at me!" He points to his own placement at 37!

: Hitomi pops in between the two and grins at Takashi. "I heaaaaarrr that not all's well for our hero..." She buzzes with barely concealed glee and looks to you, giving you a chance to speak!

Tsukiyo: Eventually your moons catch up to you.

: "Tsuki! How'd it go?" Miho seems quite pleased with her placement.

: "Ugh, I can't stand being near that drat board and all that hot air they're blowin'... we should skip for the day, boss. I'm sick of these drat exams."

---

Digital Devil Worlds
Friday, 5/15
Music

Earlier, Akio spoke with Isabelle..

quote:

: "You remember your fellow applicants, at Etemenanki? Two of them have been following up with me and they told me a strange story. One way or another they were both defeated in game... casual play, serious dungeons, whatever it was, the important bit is they both reached 0 HP. They say they met a strange NPC in an unlisted Mindscape with a purgatory theme... and he made them a deal." She looks over her cards and then gives you the old raised eyebrow, her grin full of cocky confidence. At the game, or the events? ".. They said strange things started happening in real life and they feel like they're being stalked..." ... "They claim they were asked to perform something impossible... and were terrified to tell me what. They said they couldn't share it with one of ORDER's officers." ... "I'll give you their contact info and a meeting place. And don't be tardy, they mentioned their benefactor's deals have a deadline..."

Akio: You're sent a private message by Isabelle this night with specific instructions.

quote:

: "You're meeting with them tonight. Look for one of those flavor of the month oni girl berserkers, screenname is Redd_Hott. And you'll be doing it in Teufelsbrucke. Lucky you! Now listen close: take your friends. These two need your help for something big that you're not going to solo. Tell Ailuridae you've met players that asked you about strange phenomenon in the game and real life. The purgatory realm, the stranger, odd deals, that kind of stuff. You think it's connected to Joker or that kid he killed. You get the idea, have a tight alibi. I've already spoken to Redd and her friend: they won't mention ORDER or Entemenanki. Do me a favor and don't screw up when you recognize them in front of your friends, alright? And bring me all the details afterwards!"

Akio: Makes sense. If you, Redd or the other messed up then your cover would be blown. As long as those two are in on it things should be easy. But Teufelsbrucke...

Teufelsbrucke
or
The Devil's Bridge
Music

Everyone(Online): Receiving an online lead that sounds like a connection to the same strangeness that befell Noriko in the Ancient Ruins Run you log on and warp to the boundaries of an infamous Mindscape. A dead megalopolis shrouded in mutant overgrowth in a pleasant shade of alien green. The sky overhead is permanently cloudy and in large prominent spots is ripped open revealing the cosmos far beyond, great metallic prongs splitting reality itself. They continually "birth" torrents of energy down to the planet below, infusing massive vestigal hills with energy that makes rampant flora grow wildly, slowly expanding the remains of hewed trees the size of mountains.

This realm represents a state of perpetual combat and limited safety between mid-to-high level players seeking to enter the ransack the ruins, enter the rifts... or to engage in Player vs Player. This is the Devil's Bridge, beckoning players towards their worst impulses. This is the City of Gankers! As you approach the outskirts of the city and begin to walk into the ruined buildings you see something unexpected: life. There are hundreds of players actively socializing, organizing and dueling around the city. Somehow all of the worst have come together in an ad-hoc community bound only by their own absence of online morality. There are even several crafters hawking their wares and showmen offering to take on "any fools" in return for prizes or spots in proven parties and guilds. A cheer rises from the crowd when a team of ten raiders begins an ascent up one of the few intact husks of the massive world trees, connected to an open rift far above...

The sight of your group of powerful players has the shifting crowds already talking and gesturing towards you, discussing the likelihood of your surviving an assault and by who. But for now you're in a peaceful situation. For now. You just need to meet your contact! Redd_Hott, a flavor of the month oni-girl berserker player. Looking around you spot a few flattering imitators of your own distinct styles. Noble healers, lightly armored chargers with big weapons, elementals beasts and fusions of those, over-done necromancers and haughty battle-mages. The general aesthetic of the Mindscape suggests a modern day tech level.

Stepping onto the street proper you pass by the ruined metal base of a statue haphazardly bolted onto the original stone structure, a creation of angry iron and barbed wire standing atop the smashed legs of the previous memorial. Graffiti of a devil brandishing a pitchfork and several leering goats surround a magically blazing plaque declaring that:

Yvain <the Lion> reigns

Everyone: You're free to swap Support Personas, submit your finalized character sheets in the OOC thread if you havn't done so yet, spend gold and to fuse any Personas you want to before the next adventure starts! Once it does you will be locked into your Level 16 Sheets and these choices until this side-arc finishes! You also need to contact Redd_Hott.

Takashi: When you initially sign onto DDW your Mindscape's stewards tell you that there's been a great deal of ferocious, explosive battles on The Drifter this week. Your Velvet Room Attendant delivers messages to you from three angry people, all dated within an hour of the DDW servers coming up after the last weekly maintenance cycle:

quote:

: I can't believe lowbie trash like you would sneak in a KO on a player as great as Fenrir. Watch your tail, lava pup. (<Thunder God> Raijin [PACK])

: What a horrible look you have! You piece of poo poo, could you just come over to the ring sometime and loving die, thanks?! (<Mad> Jubilette [PACK])

: Any Time. Any Place. One On One. (Mr_Grimm [PACK])

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 16, 2018

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Kasaya Itsumi

Itsumi smiles back at Akane, "Thank you! You did great too!" She can't help but wonder what she means about her being honest and the boys being sneaky though.

---

will go through my sheet and get a block ready tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Akio // Mid-terms

"Ah!" Takashi's hand suddenly clamping down on his shoulder makes Akio jump in surprise. "Uh, yeah, we sure did!" he replies with a forced smile. "Congrats on your score, Takashi, you must be as surprised as I am!" Seriously, how!? "Uh... I was just about to go somewhere. Talk to you later!" he weasels himself free and leaves to find Madoka.

---

"That's all it'll take?..." Akio goggles at Madoka in utter disbelief. "Uh, I'm glad that you're taking it so well. But don't you think you should be a bit more concerned about your studies?" He thought she would be devastated, but it seemed like she couldn't care less! "Me? Ah, I did alright. I got third place..." he says, looking away, feeling self-conscious.

---

After speaking with Madoka, Akio returns and bumps into what seems to be the rest of the top of the scoreboard. "There you are, Noriko! Nice work!" He beams at her, then acknowledges the rest. "The number one himself," he grins at Hideaki. "Congrats, man! Just how hard did you cram anyway?" he laughs, though he dying to know inside. Continuing, he smiles at Itsumi. "Second place? That's incredible, Itsumi!" As he looks at Akane, he can't help but feel an air of... danger? He convinces himself that he's just imagining things and smiles. "Pretty strong showing of our lunch table, eh, Akane?"