Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
They are anti-science like the people who hate nuclear power.

Hope this helps, op :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mrit posted:

Do you avoid using cellphones for the same reasons?

I'm not anti gmo but I empathize w people who are skeptical as to their long term safety. There's no alternative to cellphones, unlike w gmo crops

AugmentedVision posted:

No, thinking that 20 years of safety is not proof enough isn't reasonable, it's anti-progress BS and I guarantee that if you take a step back examine your entire set of views, you are much more lax about the safety of other things that have been around for much shorter times.

That's one gmo that's been around for 20 years, most have been on market for considerably less time and as such their safety is still unproven.

Each gmo is unique, just bc one or more have been shown to be safe doesn't mean each and every gmo created will be safe.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

there are alternatives to cell phones

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a new technology with many possible implications, proceeding with some caution isn't "anti progress" it's just being prudent

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Each gmo is unique, just bc one or more have been shown to be safe doesn't mean each and every gmo created will be safe.

oh my god

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

AugmentedVision posted:

Actually, they are known to be safe beyond any reasonable doubt. It's just that people who are emotionally or otherwise invested in being anti-science continue to move the "reasonable doubt" goalposts as it suits them.

I wonder how many thousand peer reviewed papers are out there that are unable to find mysterious safety hazards from using GMOs because I think so far there are like 3000, which is obviously not enough

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
yeah maybe we should be cautious with GMOs and regulate them or test them or something im so loving stupid

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

OK for one thing fuel corn and the corn we eat in summer are not the same plant. I almost can't take you seriously anymore.

We're spending millions of dollars and releasing millions of tons of carbon each year not to mention the fertilizers and other chemicals leaching into our water and food supply on creating fuel and animal feed as well as high fructose corn syrup.

It's big money and big polotics. If I were at work right now I'd find you some sources but it's the loving weekend.

Fuel corn arose as an answer to a government mandate that x percent of our energy come from renewable sources by a certain year. As someone who works in biofuels I could link you 100 articles on why corn is a lovely way to get liquid fuels from plants but the issue itself goes far outside a big corn lobby, it's simply where the money available for research was and that's where the labs went. It's the same kinda dumb reasons that everyone was investigating hydrogen as a transportation fuel source for several years and steam reforming was all the rage until the gov money dried up and everyone was already aware it was never a good idea. You can take the stupic mic you dropped and shove it up your rear end.

again my point has nothing to do with the politics of the situation, where scientific research and government money goes is a complete aside to the typical resistance to gmos and those are entirely health based. You absolutely do not see your facebook aunt ranting about uncle sam subsidies pushing out viable crop alternatives to corn so stop trying to shoehorn it into the thread, instead you see anti-intellectual hysteria over the potential danger of gmos like anti-vaxxers.

I just personally found the phenomena weird because even though the anti-vaxxer movement has erroneously been ascribed to the left several social studies have shown it's mostly a right wing thing, the kind of people who homeschool their kids are afraid of vaccinating them. anti-gmos tho are a largely left movement much like antinuclear and I think they're a blight on social progress. Bernie sanders gunning hard for gmo labeling is imo a problem.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Keg posted:

I wonder how many thousand peer reviewed papers are out there that are unable to find mysterious safety hazards from using GMOs because I think so far there are like 3000, which is obviously not enough

we need 3000 for each species of GMO obviously

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

i wish i had genetically modified orgasms, that would be incredible. instead, i have to settle for jacking it, huffing gas, and slightly hanging myself with a belt and a specially mounted hook in my bedroom.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

Fuel corn arose as an answer to a government mandate that x percent of our energy come from renewable sources by a certain year. As someone who works in biofuels I could link you 100 articles on why corn is a lovely way to get liquid fuels from plants but the issue itself goes far outside a big corn lobby, it's simply where the money available for research was and that's where the labs went. It's the same kinda dumb reasons that everyone was investigating hydrogen as a transportation fuel source for several years and steam reforming was all the rage until the gov money dried up and everyone was already aware it was never a good idea. You can take the stupic mic you dropped and shove it up your rear end.

again my point has nothing to do with the politics of the situation, where scientific research and government money goes is a complete aside to the typical resistance to gmos and those are entirely health based. You absolutely do not see your facebook aunt ranting about uncle sam subsidies pushing out viable crop alternatives to corn so stop trying to shoehorn it into the thread, instead you see anti-intellectual hysteria over the potential danger of gmos like anti-vaxxers.

I just personally found the phenomena weird because even though the anti-vaxxer movement has erroneously been ascribed to the left several social studies have shown it's mostly a right wing thing, the kind of people who homeschool their kids are afraid of vaccinating them. anti-gmos tho are a largely left movement much like antinuclear and I think they're a blight on social progress. Bernie sanders gunning hard for gmo labeling is imo a problem.

GMO safety denial is like climate change denials but with lefties instead of righties.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

i wish i had genetically modified orgasms, that would be incredible. instead, i have to settle for jacking it, huffing gas, and slightly hanging myself with a belt and a specially mounted hook in my bedroom.

i have genetically optimized organ pm me

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you're smart, here's the correct policy list. Some things are easy for LIBERALS to fall into, sort of like liberal intellectual traps if you will, but if you're smart and crafty you end up believing these thigns

1. GMOs are good but biotech patents are bad
2. Communism is an ideal worth working towards
3. New Retro Wave is good music.
4. The 2nd amendment is absolutely not worth fighting or changing, no matter how you feel about weapons ownership, you can just shut the gently caress up or kill yourself about it if you can't deal.
5. Nuclear power is good and the people against it are usually loving dumb as poo poo.
6. The west coast has done nothing good for the left wing in the united states.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Yeah I have no idea what you're ranting about anymore op

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

hemophilia posted:

If you're smart, here's the correct policy list. Some things are easy for LIBERALS to fall into, sort of like liberal intellectual traps if you will, but if you're smart and crafty you end up believing these thigns

1. GMOs are good but biotech patents are bad
2. Communism is an ideal worth working towards
3. New Retro Wave is good music.
4. The 2nd amendment is absolutely not worth fighting or changing, no matter how you feel about weapons ownership, you can just shut the gently caress up or kill yourself about it if you can't deal.
5. Nuclear power is good and the people against it are usually loving dumb as poo poo.
6. The west coast has done nothing good for the left wing in the united states.

im going to murder your dumb bitch rear end over one of these

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

Corn and corn stover are a huge source of our bioethanol
This is true and fine, but it doesn't matter because this

quote:

which is a huge part of our fuel market in our quest for cleaner energy and energy independence
is intellectually dishonest. Bioethanol is, at best, temporarily taking a small dent out of fossil fuel consumption. We need a real replacement for fossil fuels, and once it is found, it will replace bioethanol as well. That research money (which you for some reason think is decoupled from lobbyists) should have been spent on something other than a lovely temporary band-aid.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

im gaye posted:

im going to murder your dumb bitch rear end over one of these

:rolleyes: yeha i bet u like justin bieber or some poo poo. walk on troll

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe
Hi Im the average something awful forums poster.
I am such a contrarian douche bag that I actually believe GMOS are good. Sure they were made by a company that got its start producing chemical and biological weapons, but any method of food production that involves dumping so many toxic chemicals on the earth that it prevents any other plant from growing; and disregards long term impacts such as soil quality, farmers right to plant their own seed, or elevated amounts of toxic byproducts in my body and enviroment, sounds good to me. Because corporate lobbyists say its OK, and I believe them!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

AugmentedVision posted:

is intellectually dishonest. Bioethanol is, at best, temporarily taking a small dent out of fossil fuel consumption. We need a real replacement for fossil fuels, and once it is found, it will replace bioethanol as well. That research money (which you for some reason think is decoupled from lobbyists) should have been spent on something other than a lovely temporary band-aid.
Bioethanol is often considered the most direct way to get legit gas and jet substitutes and you'll see the vast majority of bioenergy research is centered on this idea.

going straight to diesel works decently for what it does but the chemical makeup doesn't lend itself easy to further coupling and upgrading, you get stuck at a range in between gas and jet (aka diesel) and can't power aviation with it. As air travel is one of our biggest limeters in green energy (power density of electric engines make electric airplanes basically unfeasible for the foreseeable future) most modern biofuel research is designed to take crops and convert them to jet fuel, ethanol is largely considered the most straightforward building block for this (though obviously people are researching other routes).

e: you're right if you meant to imply that for cars we're looking for better green solutions, biofuels are largely considered a bridge in that area not the final answer but bioethanol is still absolutely huge for aviation and will continue to be so for a very long time.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mercrom posted:

yeah maybe we should be cautious with GMOs and regulate them or test them or something im so loving stupid

Get a load of this luddite

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

PBRstreetgang posted:

I am such a contrarian douche bag that I actually believe GMOS are good. Sure they were made by a company that got its start producing chemical and biological weapons, but any method of food production that involves dumping so many toxic chemicals on the earth that it prevents any other plant from growing; and disregards long term impacts such as soil quality, farmers right to plant their own seed, or elevated amounts of toxic byproducts in my body and enviroment, sounds good to me. Because corporate lobbyists say its OK, and I believe them!

hi

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PBRstreetgang posted:

Are you unaware of you dumb you are or do you just revel in being a complete retard idiot?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

PBRstreetgang posted:

Roundup Ready crops use far less pesticide than organic crops.

the ol pump-n-bump
Jul 27, 2004

by Smythe

hemophilia posted:

Are you unaware of you dumb you are

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ArbitraryC posted:

Bioethanol is often considered the most direct way to get legit gas and jet substitutes and you'll see the vast majority of bioenergy research is centered on this idea.

going straight to diesel works decently for what it does but the chemical makeup doesn't lend itself easy to further coupling and upgrading, you get stuck at a range in between gas and jet (aka diesel) and can't power aviation with it. As air travel is one of our biggest limeters in green energy (power density of electric engines make electric airplanes basically unfeasible for the foreseeable future) most modern biofuel research is designed to take crops and convert them to jet fuel, ethanol is largely considered the most straightforward building block for this (though obviously people are researching other routes).

e: you're right if you meant to imply that for cars we're looking for better green solutions, biofuels are largely considered a bridge in that area not the final answer but bioethanol is still absolutely huge for aviation and will continue to be so for a very long time.

Good to know and makes sense that powering airplane with corn is the greenest practical solution that's on the horizon. Still doesn't justify spending taxpayer money to grow so much corn that we shove it everywhere that's not needed

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

waht is this 2005 :rolleyes:

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

signalnoise posted:

I dont really see why people are so against labeling GMO products, I mean almost everything in the grocery store will have the label but it's about as harmful as parental advisory stickers on albums

Because it forces smaller companies to change their labels and many can't afford to do so and can no longer sell their product. Bigger companies like Wal Mart and Target can afford to change their labels and push out the smaller companies on the grocery shelves. Changing labels to meet arbitrary laws to appeal to stupid people is only a boost for massive corporations, something the anti-gmo lobby is actively fighting against. Case and point: Vermont:

http://www.wcax.com/story/32354485/price-chopper-loses-3000-products-over-gmo-law

The label itself is completely meaningless, as you might as well have a label saying "handled by Steve" or something.

It's important to have a healthy skepticism of corporations, but in this case being afraid of GMOs is really stupid.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

AugmentedVision posted:

Good to know and makes sense that powering airplane with corn is the greenest practical solution that's on the horizon. Still doesn't justify spending taxpayer money to grow so much corn that we shove it everywhere that's not needed

corn is honestly not the best source of bioethanol but that's a whole nother debate, as I previously mentioned that's mostly a political thing and is sadly common in influencing the direction of scientific research. Labs go where the money so if the gov decided they wanted to make dirt powered cars that's where all the scientists would go until those grants dried up regardless of it's actual viability.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rahu posted:

They are anti-science like the people who hate nuclear power.

Hope this helps, op :tipshat:

I'm not anti-nuclear power, but I get the NIMBY people on that issue. When nuclear power has problems, shits totally hosed. They should just turn the whole desert into nothing but nuclear power plants.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

psychokitty posted:

That's because you're dumber than a box of rocks covered in your own poo poo. Every time you poo poo your IQ drops 40 points. I don't know how to emphasize that enough: your poop is more intelligent than you are.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm not anti-nuclear power, but I get the NIMBY people on that issue. When nuclear power has problems, shits totally hosed. They should just turn the whole desert into nothing but nuclear power plants.

the desert has some great qualities

downtown vegas is a better choice

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

Mrit posted:

Roundup Ready crops use far less pesticide than organic crops.

Most GMOs also till the soil far less, leading to less soil erosion.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

For all you stunted baby retards who poo poo their pants in terror of gmos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4bi60alZU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

psychokitty posted:

I understand that you have political grievances with monsato and the rules/laws regarding intellectual property wrt to gmos, how they are produced, and who subsidizes their production. I think some of your concerns are a bit misdirected in terms of a chicken/egg situation, but as far as the thrust of your complaint goes i get it and feel it's reasonable.

However it is intellectually dishonest to suggest that this is the primary source of grievances with gmos among the left and frankly tone deaf to what the thread is discussing. You do not see people posting facebook screeds about backdoor deals and corporate nepotism surrounding corn production, the chief complaints with gmos your layman makes is that they pose a health risk and are dangerous for nebulous reasons. People upset about gmo monopolies certainly exist but you're lying to yourself to think that's the core of the anti-gmo movement, the reality is most of the gmo labeling and such stems from misguided fears and ignorance over zombie plants.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

That's because you're dumber than a box of rocks covered in your own poo poo. Every time you poo poo your IQ drops 40 points. I don't know how to emphasize that enough: your poop is more intelligent than you are.

MY BALLS

SUCK THEM SHITLORD

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Deep down, people who oppose GMO's believe that the best way to address over-population is a few good old fashioned famines in the third world.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

The Archaic posted:

Most GMOs also till the soil far less, leading to less soil erosion.

I mean, Big Agriculture does kind of have a vested interest in keeping the planet hospitable to plants and animals. Big corporations are good?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

ArbitraryC posted:

However it is intellectually dishonest to suggest that this is the primary source of grievances with gmos among the left and frankly tone deaf to what the thread is discussing. You do not see people posting facebook screeds about backdoor deals and corporate nepotism surrounding corn production, the chief complaints with gmos your layman makes is that they pose a health risk and are dangerous for nebulous reasons. People upset about gmo monopolies certainly exist but you're lying to yourself to think that's the core of the anti-gmo movement, the reality is most of the gmo labeling and such stems from misguided fears and ignorance over zombie plants.

I ain't say none of that. Don't be saying that poo poo came from me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1. Patent law is bad
2. Monanto are assholes
3. GMOs still represent a net good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

General Dog posted:

Deep down, people who oppose GMO's believe that the best way to address over-population is a few good old fashioned famines in the third world.

too bad its true lol

• Locked thread