Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I just posted this in GBS. Last time I posted in here I got attacked.

Anyway.

Roast Pumpkin Soup.
----------------------------------

Please.

Go to the shop. Purchase 1 Pumpkin. 1 Eggplant. 1 Sweet Potato (yam). 2 Chorizo sausages.

Cut the pumpkin in sixths. Remove seeds.
Slice the loving eggplant in 1/2.
Leave yam as it is.

Boil a large pot of with like 2 and bit litres (5 pints) of water. Like a loving really big pot.

Place 3 pieces of pumpkin (skin down) on an oven tray.
Do the same for the other poo poo.
Throw in a few cloves of garlic.
Coat with olive oil.
Put it in the oven on about 170C err .. 338F for about 1 hour.

Put herbs (like whatever. I just pick stuff from the garden. Rosemary, Parsley, Coriander (sparingly)) in pot of water and maybe throw in a couple of stock cubes (or use real stock from an actual chicken).
Add some Black Pepper, Garam Masala, Tumeric, and Galangal.

Throw some roughly cut celery into the pot.
Simmer.

Slice the Chorizo and fry. Don't overcook it.

Check oven. Play with temps. Set timer for another 15 mins.
May need to remove eggplant earlier.
When the tops of the pumpkin start to brown take it out.
Use a spoon to scoop the goodness out and transfer it into the pot. Lose the skin basically. The yam should be like taking off a sock.

Do something else while the pot is simmering. I dunno? Bread?

Hit it with a handheld electric spinning thing until it's just right.
Add the Chorizo sausage.
Stir gently.

Eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
i think tom kha gai is probably the best soup

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
People keep telling me soup is a meal on its own, and it is a filthy lie. When I say that, they tell me that I just haven't had the right soup, and that is also a filthy lie.

I guess I would consider pho a possible exception.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

eat it with bread or put the bread in and call it a dumpling soup.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
now i want potato / leek soup and garlic bread but it's too hot

is this the new soup megathread?

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

This is the new soup thread.

I am cooking soup as I post this.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
There's a dead chicken in my fridge that is going to be transformed into Soto Ayam

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Illinois Smith posted:

It is never the wrong weather for garlic bread. Potato and leek soup is also v good when chilled cold, just blend it smoothish and add some dairy.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Getting in at the ground floor if only to mention Borscht.

Very few things in this world satiate hunger for me like the dill and vinegar flavors of classic Borscht. Please pause for mandatory party identification.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Suxpool posted:

i think tom kha gai is probably the best soup

QTIYD. The last place I ordered it from told me to call it just Tom Kha because they called Tom Yum Tom Yum Gai on the menu. I don't think it is a coincidence that the soup there sucked.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Potato/leek is god-tier.

An ode to minestrone: a soup that has no agreed-on recipe. You look around for a definitive recipe and realise you're pissing into the wind. As long as it has at least stock, tomatoes, celery, some kind of pasta and maybe a bean element, the rest is leftovers time.

Trigger warning for black olives, but I made this cobbled-together version yesterday and it is basically impossible to gently caress up:

Soup.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Blow posted:

This is the new soup thread.

I am cooking soup as I post this.
what kind of soup was it

if you want to avoid the fate of the last soup thread buried all the way back on page 2 you'll have to post about your soups

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

what kind of soup was it

if you want to avoid the fate of the last soup thread buried all the way back on page 2 you'll have to post about your soups

It's the first goddamn post. Roast Pumpkin, Eggplant & Sweet Potato with Tasmanian Mountain Pepper & Chorizo.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

are you cooking any more soups in the future? what are your soup plans?

also please post some pictures of your soup it sounds nice

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

A photo would not do the soup justice. It needs be to inhaled, tasted, savored.

It looks like yellowish soup with flakes of green poo poo, and some bits of sausage.

You need to taste it is what I'm saying.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I made a pot of basic chicken noodle soup over the weekend.

It came out pretty nice. I used stock that we had in the freezer. To make the stock I wait until we have 2 or 3 chicken carcasses and then boil the bones in a big 12 quart pot with herbs, carrots, onions and celery. For herbs I use whatever I have fresh, but sticking with the song works well, you know, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. If you don't have fresh using jarred Herbs de Provance or Italian Seasoning works well. Basil is also nice. Dill too actually. Um, really most herbs and spices will be fine just don't go overboard and make something that's too green tasting. Also don't forget the bay leaves, they give kind of a back ground lemony-ish note. Simmer it for as long as you can, I usually try for 8-12, skim any scum off the top as it forms. Strain the broth and refrigerate, you know you did it right when the broth has the consistency of jelly when cold. Also freezes well.

For the soup itself I dice up onion, carrots and celery and then sweat them in the pot with some butter. I use a lot of carrots because my kids like em. Put the broth in, add herbs and chicken parts, on the bone, off the bone whatever. Just make sure you pull it out when it's 5 deg or so from being done otherwise it will be dry and nasty. If you use bone in skin on chicken you may have to skim scum off the top. Carry over heat will finish the cooking process. Add noodles to broth, I prefer egg noodles but go with what you got (rice or potatoes work well too). You can cook the noodles in a separate pot of water if you want to have less thick soup but, eh, too much effort. When the noodles are close to done add in whatever veggies you like (this may also be a good time to remove any herb stems or leaves). To make a more complete meal I add green beans, corn and whatever we got handy that doesn't seem too strange. When it's done add back in the chicken (cut up into cubes or shredded) boned and skinned of course. Salt and pepper to taste (lemon juice can be surprisingly good).

In the refrigerator it will set up kind of like pie with everything suspended in a thick jelly and the noodles will swell up to supersize as they suck up all the flavor. Reheat over low heat to turn some of it back into broth. Slurp and lip-smack all that savory goodness.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Murgos posted:

I made a pot of basic chicken noodle soup over the weekend.

It came out pretty nice. I used stock that we had in the freezer. To make the stock I wait until we have 2 or 3 chicken carcasses and then boil the bones in a big 12 quart pot with herbs, carrots, onions and celery. For herbs I use whatever I have fresh, but sticking with the song works well, you know, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. If you don't have fresh using jarred Herbs de Provance or Italian Seasoning works well. Basil is also nice. Dill too actually. Um, really most herbs and spices will be fine just don't go overboard and make something that's too green tasting. Also don't forget the bay leaves, they give kind of a back ground lemony-ish note. Simmer it for as long as you can, I usually try for 8-12, skim any scum off the top as it forms. Strain the broth and refrigerate, you know you did it right when the broth has the consistency of jelly when cold. Also freezes well.

For the soup itself I dice up onion, carrots and celery and then sweat them in the pot with some butter. I use a lot of carrots because my kids like em. Put the broth in, add herbs and chicken parts, on the bone, off the bone whatever. Just make sure you pull it out when it's 5 deg or so from being done otherwise it will be dry and nasty. If you use bone in skin on chicken you may have to skim scum off the top. Carry over heat will finish the cooking process. Add noodles to broth, I prefer egg noodles but go with what you got (rice or potatoes work well too). You can cook the noodles in a separate pot of water if you want to have less thick soup but, eh, too much effort. When the noodles are close to done add in whatever veggies you like (this may also be a good time to remove any herb stems or leaves). To make a more complete meal I add green beans, corn and whatever we got handy that doesn't seem too strange. When it's done add back in the chicken (cut up into cubes or shredded) boned and skinned of course. Salt and pepper to taste (lemon juice can be surprisingly good).

In the refrigerator it will set up kind of like pie with everything suspended in a thick jelly and the noodles will swell up to supersize as they suck up all the flavor. Reheat over low heat to turn some of it back into broth. Slurp and lip-smack all that savory goodness.

Nice. I like your stock method. I've Parsley, Bay, Rosemary & Thyme (still works with the song) growing in my yard, so that's covered.

Your soup sounds tasty.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm gonna throw a curveball here, what do ya'll think about fruit soups? I have a recipe for a knockoff cherry borscht that is fantastic, and works equally well as a lunch or a dessert.

Basically, you make a cherry stock by boiling cherries, sugar, water, and some lemon juice and hitting it with the stick blender. Then simmer rhubarb for tartness until it softens, add in whatever you want (chopped strawberries and whole blueberries work great, as do more cherries) and reduce, then serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

If you served me that for lunch I'd ask why you're starting with dessert. It doesn't sound like it would work equally well for both at all.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 7, 2016

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm gonna throw a curveball here, what do ya'll think about fruit soups? I have a recipe for a knockoff cherry borscht that is fantastic, and works equally well as a lunch or a dessert.

Basically, you make a cherry stock by boiling cherries, sugar, water, and some lemon juice and hitting it with the stick blender. Then simmer rhubarb for tartness until it softens, add in whatever you want (chopped strawberries and whole blueberries work great, as do more cherries) and reduce, then serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Dunno if that is soup dude.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
He forgot the last line:

"Pour over ice and blend for a really great smoothie"

-or-

"Add fruit pectin while hot and then chill for an amazing jam."

Don't get me wrong, it sounds delicious but "lunch"? Not for me anyway.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 8, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Soup rules but gently caress leaving the stove on for that long in the summer. Soup is a fall/winter dish.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Winter has come. :australia:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
My grandmother made the best vegetable soup. It was simple; just a soup bone, celery, onions, carrots, and potatoes.

When I tried to make it myself, it never turned out right. I tried all kinds of different seasonings, I tried sauteing the vegetables in different orders, different simmer times to make the stock, etc. Never worked. It never tasted right.

I finally asked her how she made it. The trick is to do everything wrong. Put the soup bone in at a rolling boil with a ton of water for about 2 hours and don't bother to skim. Throw everything else in and let it stay at a rolling boil it until it's done.

Full stop. Add salt and pepper at the table.

By God it actually works. It shouldn't, but it works. It's not even a recipe but it's awesome. Try not to use a roasted soup bone though, that does throw off the flavor. She always used fresh bones.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Captain Bravo posted:

Chilled fruit soups are pretty tasty and refreshing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The chain Brazilian place near me has a chilled strawberry soup with a milk or cream base. It's not great, but with different ratios it could be really good.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tom kha gai is amazing, potato/leek is addictive, and ribollita owns. But kale soup loaded with pork, sausage, and all of the red beans is the best soup.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

El Marrow posted:

Getting in at the ground floor if only to mention Borscht.

Very few things in this world satiate hunger for me like the dill and vinegar flavors of classic Borscht. Please pause for mandatory party identification.

Nice looking borscht.

I went to the Asian market yesterday and got a buttload of kimchi, tofu, galangal, etc. Gonna make some jjigae (that's soup-ish??) and then maybe some kind of thai soup.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

Tom kha gai is amazing, potato/leek is addictive, and ribollita owns. But kale soup loaded with pork, sausage, and all of the red beans is the best soup.

Do you have a recipe for that? I have a lot of beans.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't chilled fruit soups just be smoothies?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The trick to a fruit soup is to start with fruit that's more sour than sweet and add very little sugar, if any at all. Spiced and flavored well you end up with a delicious refreshing treat that I would definitely not call dessert.

Sour cherries and anise go together really well, for something to start with.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Wouldn't chilled fruit soups just be smoothies?

Soup is thinner.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sour cherries and anise go together really well, for something to start with.

I've never tried using anise in my cherry soup before, but that actually sounds like a really great idea! I've got some star anise I may give it a try with. I usually just use a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground coriander. Any other suggestions for spices or herbs I should try?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Always keep your bones.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have a recipe for that? I have a lot of beans.

The curmudgeonly Portuguese sisters gave me their recipe but I may have lost it when I moved. Will look around for it or dig one up that looks good to go should I fail to find it.

It was really simple roughly chopped kale, potatoes, kidney beans, chorizo and/or linguica, and a bit of cabbage all done up in seasoned pork broth and water. They also added bony chunks of pork to flake some meat in after pulling the bones. A healthy dose of vinegary hot sauce after ladling into a bowl was the finishing touch.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Butch Cassidy posted:

It was really simple roughly chopped kale, potatoes, kidney beans, chorizo and/or linguica, and a bit of cabbage all done up in seasoned pork broth and water. They also added bony chunks of pork to flake some meat in after pulling the bones. A healthy dose of vinegary hot sauce after ladling into a bowl was the finishing touch.

I was just handed two pounds of nice linguica for dog sitting this week, was wondering how I could stretch it out. This looks fantastic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Let's also talk about cold soups, which are awesome and underrated.

Vichyssoise, gazpacho, salmorejo, ajoblanco and more: perfect for a hot summer's day! My personal favourite at the moment is a cucumber and jalapeno gazpacho.

The recipe is essentially:

1 cucumber, seeded and chopped (peeled if you want, but it's not necessary)
1 jalapeno, seeded to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
cilantro and/or mint to taste
cold water
olive oil

Basically blend all that stuff together until smooth, adding water and olive oil to achieve the desired taste and consistency (I generally use 2-3 tbsp. of oil, and about 1/2 cup of water with the above ingredients)

Chill in the fridge prior to serving.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Butch Cassidy posted:

The curmudgeonly Portuguese sisters gave me their recipe but I may have lost it when I moved. Will look around for it or dig one up that looks good to go should I fail to find it.

I went and married a granddaughter of an azorian. Kale soup was the first time 10+ years ago I heard of and was served that green. Portuguese kale soup is legit. Chorizo is amazing in its own right, but linguica only, please. Same animal, but totally different animal. Can't wait to move back home where Portuguese food is available at the grocers, and there are restaurants within an hour or so drive.

Make kale soup, y'all. poo poo is fantastic.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

PT6A posted:

Let's also talk about cold soups, which are awesome and underrated.

Vichyssoise, gazpacho, salmorejo, ajoblanco and more: perfect for a hot summer's day! My personal favourite at the moment is a cucumber and jalapeno gazpacho.

The recipe is essentially:

1 cucumber, seeded and chopped (peeled if you want, but it's not necessary)
1 jalapeno, seeded to taste
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
cilantro and/or mint to taste
cold water
olive oil

Basically blend all that stuff together until smooth, adding water and olive oil to achieve the desired taste and consistency (I generally use 2-3 tbsp. of oil, and about 1/2 cup of water with the above ingredients)

Chill in the fridge prior to serving.

That does sound pretty awesome for when summer rolls around.

Keep bringing the soup recipes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

I went and married a granddaughter of an azorian. Kale soup was the first time 10+ years ago I heard of and was served that green. Portuguese kale soup is legit. Chorizo is amazing in its own right, but linguica only, please. Same animal, but totally different animal. Can't wait to move back home where Portuguese food is available at the grocers, and there are restaurants within an hour or so drive.

Make kale soup, y'all. poo poo is fantastic.

Keep it coming.

• Locked thread