Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
How many ST threads are there

I want a discord inv too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Drone posted:

This is the part where we all gather on the bridge and share a laugh as the end credits music plays (and Jeffrey of YOSPOS at Spock's console looks deeply concerned)

The most fitting 'concerned' face of Spock

Thanks for the invite btw!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

loving rick berman

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

RLM was always on point with the ‘gently caress You Rick Berman’

That's gonna be the one and only thing I agree with them then

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Civilized Fishbot posted:

They really should have brought it up in *Picard.*

That would imply that any of writers watched more than 2-5 episodes of data+picard st:nemesis and this is clearly not the case

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

But rolling backwards rather than to the side.

a barrel roll

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

everyone hates on season 7 of TNG

who does and why
my fists are ready

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

If only the galaxy class had a round saucer like ambassador, with 2 refit nacelles and in darker shades of grey or early tos white...

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Wonder if miranda flaws are still in the design

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

toot toot

NCC Fuckface

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

While searching for '4k ai upscale' to find a tool or soft to upscale my ds9 collection myself, the first article by google was https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/310029-how-to-upscale-video-content-to-4k-8k-and-beyond

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Senor Tron posted:

Would watch Battle Star Trek: Galaxy where after a devastating attack on the Federation a rag-tag collection of ships led by a Galaxy class have to flee to safety and try to find a new home.

So basically a prequel to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_(Star_Trek:_Enterprise) ?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tighclops posted:

Next season on Star Trek: Picard we learn that Boothby was secretly sexually abusing the younger cadets for decades and it was an open secret on campus the whole time. Picard must confront his inner demons while uncovering the conspiracy, Rios traps himself inside the ship's holodeck with dozens of copies of himself until he experiences ego death.

He was a ploy by 8472 all this time
They have infiltrated the Starfleet and Zhat Vash and Oui Timbuktu and their mission is to destroy all silicon based people before they will enter the fluidic space and conquer 8472, as it was foretold aeons ago!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

oh but seriously I posted:

did the prophets ever indicate giving a poo poo about bajor (not sisko)?

yes, hence the sisko

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

it makes sad we stopped using Futura for everything.

Futura kerning sucks big time and there is no one around to fix it

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

There's a few bits I saw from Drexler I don't have on hand where he implied that large parts of the interior of the J are basically just like they took Yorktown and stuck warp nacelles on the back of it. Large open spaces, literally towns inside big parks, concourses, parts of it that have a 'down' of whichever way is convenient, separate suburbs in different parts of the ship.

If your warp tech gets big enough that the space available to you is that much bigger than the number of people you want to haul, I guess there's no need to squash them up.

This is how you get lost civilisations on disabled starships.
Imagine the bridge blows off with all officers on board, warp core gets a breach and is ejected and subspace comsm are down? The ship is drifting through emptiness of space till it crashes somewhere... with or without regressed to cannibalism inhabitants

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The Orville has an episode about this, it's one of the better ones

Yup had it in mind but it can very easily go the Pandorum (2009) way

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

I mean the Galaxy has like 40 shuttles across three bays. Not to mention hundreds of escape pods all with their own distress beacons. I imagine the J would be way more.

There are always some variables, stellar parasite-induced amnesia etc etc etc.
OTOH I imagine there are more failsafes than on 24th century starships, with several levels of conscious Emergency X Holograms across all decks etc.
But again that's trek and we are living in it's darkest age yet.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

We truly live in year of hell when

Drone posted:

Jesus Christ please stop making new Star Trek
is not a joke, not even in the slightest

But no krenim ships inbound so...we will have to live with all that.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Epicurius posted:

I liked Archer's Theme. My only real disappointment with the Enterprise intro though, is that we never got this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgbZMEr8FA

:perfect:
The timing on certain lyrics + visuals is astounding

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Those scenes where she just loving nails a Picardo impression really show how good an actress she is. I can't even articulate how the impression is so good but you're absolutely looking at the Doctor there.

People tend to call this episode lovely because its an overused trope or something but it definitely shows Jeri Ryan acting abilities and the episode is about both bestest VOY actors. Sad they didn't have much more of those.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Tighclops posted:

Holy poo poo the av pic that literally says "icheb" on top of it all

it says 'ring icheb back'

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

While trying to find his full av picture where the left part is not cut (while contemplating the possibility of just adding a goatse instead) I found a perfect picture of nutrek

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Angry Salami posted:

Yep, nobody ever died in Star Trek until Picard.

Pointlessly, one of ex-main cast, with gore on screen?

ps
also reread the text on the picture please

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 29, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Astroman posted:

I'll give DISCO credit, they really try to evoke TOS with their titles.

:hmmyes:

But this invokes questions, as if they can do good titles, why can't they do a good writing, storyline or concepts (The magic to make the sanest man go mad is perfect tho ngl)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

Americans are always like "it's more intuitiveeeeeeeeee" even though any seeming intuitiveness is because it's what they're used to and if you're raised with celsius then that scale is perfectly intuitive instead.

Reminds me of some reddit construction guy that claimed that imperial units are perfect for construction and when asked for proofs he said something like 'standard something is X bald eagles and that's exactly Y hamburgers so this is perfect, unlike your centimeters to meters conversion thing'

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 7, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

Omg too confusing with the Latin and the multiples of ten (ten!? How arbitrary!) when you could just have 32.26 Large Pebbles per Cinderblock and everyone knows how much a Large Pebble is and

The whole concept of 'just add a zero or remove the last number' is so very hard.

BTW NASA lost money due to the difference in systems https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter (and I guess there might must be more lesser known cases) and goddamn it's heartbreaking to see traditions and habits win over science.

ps
afair USA once passed a law that made metric official but

found it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Conversion_Act

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 7, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

The rest of the metric system has the excuse of simpler unit conversions (although most people using metric don't seem to actually bother with unit conversions), but Celsius doesn't. There's not really much advantage to having a larger degree or pegging the scale to whatever the hell point, and anybody who tries to concoct some reason why actually that's way better is accidentally making arguments against the rest of the metric system which has smaller units and is more arbitrarily pegged to constants.

Nobody remembers the metric calendar either with 10 days in a week because it sucked rear end having to work more days straight until the weekend.

Ahem water boils at 100 and freezes at 0. It is more suited for more applications and less revolves around 'human body' or other crap. Kelvin would be good but it's a bit of a stretch to measure local scale temps with galactic scale units, so we are using the most scientific in this case - celsius.
Metric calendar does not correlate with universe or even our solar system. Meh.

Epinephrine posted:

First Contact Day is a good holiday time and a good holiday name. Why try to force September 8th?

Because they are tryhards who can't produce a good show? (except for LDS, which is their mistake)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Payndz posted:

0°C: literally freezing
10°C: need a coat or jumper
20°C: a t-shirt will be fine
30°C: drat, it's hot
40°C: holy poo poo, it's too hot
50°C: you're about to die
100°C: kettle's boiled!

Simple.

NO!

0F lowest temperature in one exact winter in one exact german village
4F some arbitrary composite element changes state, this was the '0F' before
32F water froze
48F you need a coat
69F you only need a t-shirt, haha nice
72-74F ac warzone
96.8F human body temperature
100F hot, wow a round number
124F you're about to die
212F water is finally boiling

totally better, even trains your memory by making memorize all this bullshit!

SlothfulCobra posted:

The theoretical ability of being slightly more able to memorize those two temperatures has basically no utility.

You are gradually hosed on a scale from 0 to 100, exhibit a:

Payndz posted:

0°C: literally freezing
10°C: need a coat or jumper
20°C: a t-shirt will be fine
30°C: drat, it's hot
40°C: holy poo poo, it's too hot
50°C: you're about to die
100°C: kettle's boiled!

Simple.

but in Funny units you are gradually hosed on scale from 32 to 212
with ~100 being okay, 110 being okay but hot and 120 being really hot but depending on humidity might be okay

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Sep 8, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Statutory Ape posted:

what was the arbitrary composite element tho

E: 100f is garbage tier with any humidity at all and not great even without lmao

go ahead and move around outside in 100f

Mix of ice, water and ammonium chloride :stare:

Also having lived more than half of my life on east coast of spain I can say that biking in ~35-40C was okay as long as you had enough water. Usual humidity was around 60%. With higher humidities it's worse for sure.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

you can't also say that you enjoy talking about height in centimeters.

That's the point, you dont need to count 2749 units in 1 another unit to make centimeters into meters, its literally adding a comma or a zero. 187 cantimeters is 1,87 meters or 1870 millimeters

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think you can just turn gravity off and on in small areas. I wonder what it's like at the bottom of the ship where they have all the artificial gravity pushing.

How about the fact that Klingons are like racehorses that get put down at any major injury because they don't have doctors? I bet Klingon ships don't even have crate stacks for fear of the consequences.

Klingons have doctors, also gravity is totally locally adjustable per room, corridor or holodeck.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Dog_Meat posted:

Enough temperature units.

Blue - Cold
Yellow - Nice
Red - gently caress me, it's hot

White - uh... is that freezing snow or centre of the sun hot? Dammit...

Brawnfire posted:

Purple - Rain

You two guys are genius ngl

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s really loving stupid

Sadly half of STO is. God it was beautiful back in ~2012

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's interesting watching Voyager as a 40 year old attracted to women my own age and suddenly realizing Janeway is really attractive. That completely passed me by 20 years ago.

The page is 1996 and lets remember voyager and that there's coffee in that nebula

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A table and a cake?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it looks incredibly rizzable out of context, but it's probably one of the better episodes of Voyager in general and Joe Menosky's career as a writer in particular. Nobody really gets that because lol who the gently caress would watch Season 2 Voyager?

:stare:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

That ^ and

cheetah7071 posted:

Season one has no non-skippable episodes.

Where else can you see pre-picard Picard and the battle bridge?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

It's been a long road to page 2001 of Star Trek: Enterprise

But I missed it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

If a civilisation dies of natural internal conflicts then it is not ready to regulate external conflicts, cannot prosper and develop further.
exhibit a: "humankind", species from 3rd planet from star in a distant solar system on outskirts of Milky Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

With only one flare it looks more like one of early STD bridge shots