Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Guineapig posted:

I liked it, too, the only thing I didn't understand is why there were wars killing lots of army guys. If you have an army of say, 100,000 guys and you do a battle where 1% are killed, in a world where there's no young recruits your army will only be 99% of its size before.

Every time a guy gets killed the army will be that much smaller and troop strength can't get any bigger or even stay the same. I didn't understand the alacrity with which the guys came forward/were sent to get killed.

Other than that it was thought-provoking and well done, and I appreciate the reminder that it's about time to watch it again.

the thing is once you no longer have children and an entire generation of young men in a nihilistic tail-spin it'd be pretty loving hard to keep control over civil society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Tectonis posted:

The baby crying and stopping the fighting before the longshot walk out is goddamn art.

yeah with it being ended by a fish thinking 'oh boy perfect opportunity to take a pot-shot' and everyone immediately forgetting they just saw a baby with their own eyes was really sobering

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i assumed that airstrike you see at the very end was meant for them

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

dundun posted:

The movie is probably my top 10 best films. One thing I didn't get was when Clive Owen's character goes to the super rich people land and the weird guy at the table with the cyborg implants who kept typing into his computer and not taking his vitamins? What was his deal.

How old are you / have any of your friends settled down and had kids yet?

That scene will make a shitload more sense when that happens.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sintax posted:

Ya scenes like this is why I say it's like a director's cut; I think it's just supposed to show the 1% (or 0.01%) essentially- and he is helping Clive Owen's character bend all the rules. Doesn't really need to be in the movie though because all the information from this scene is already implied, and the whole thing comes off as over-the-top. Pretty cool tho I guess

yeah like the zizek review linked earlier this whole movie is about being immersed in the world and that whole scene was just another element to be immersed in. there's ultimately no 'point' but the movie isn't trying to make one directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sad face :((((

• Locked thread